Reviews of Travel Inn - Midtown Manhattan 2 stars

515 West 42nd Street, Hell's Kitchen, New York, NY 10036, USA

#366 of 415 hotels in New York

4.1

WiFi wasn't free.

Easy walk to the Javits Center. We had a room with 2 double beds. It was spacious and clean and had a refrigerator and microwave. Loved that I could reheat my leftover dinner for breakfast! There's a police station across the street, so you can feel super safe!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Secured a room with two double beds. Got a room with one bed and a rolled in cot that looked like someone just got out of it. We were told our room with the two beds had bugs and they needed to apply chemicals and therefore it wouldn’t be available until the next day!!!!

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Upon check-in the staff were not as welcoming as i would have hoped for. The check out staff were very helpful

This hotel is just a few blocks from the heart of Times Square so close to everything you need/want to see. There is a lovely and inexpensive deli next door

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pool was unexpectedly closed (wasn't made aware) but not a big deal given it was mid May and opening for the beginning of June.

Location was fantastic and great value for that. Would recommend staying there.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

it was great stay .excellent location . free parking if you have a car is av.good value for room rate .staff was v.helpful . very well equiped hotel . close to every thing you need . I will recomend the hotel to all my friends

Two king size rooms booked but one room was considerably smaller than the other and no air conditioning so was far too warm in the hot weather. Both rooms were charged at the same price but were not the same standard.

Closeness of hotel to Times Square.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

everything is very basic, old and outdated, nothing fancy, wifi is not included, no breackfast included. I did not like to touch everything in the room. I washed my hands very very often

location, refrigerator, microwave, parking

I wasn't there long enough! I did 't realize I was so close to the river. By the time I got my bearings it was time to go.

Location, safety, lots of options for food

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pool was under refurbishement, and we were´nt early informed about that. We travelled with kids and the pool at the hotel was one of the things we had in mind when we booked in Travel Inn.

Location is great, Hell´s kitchen is a great neighbourhood to visit, and a very popular place at night (lot of bars and restaunrants).

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room is located under the big air condition system. It was extremely loud during all time we were staying there

The stuff was very friendly and the location in the W 42 St is really greate.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The parking garage was a little hard to find at first because the garage opening was closed and looked more like a delivery entey. We called the hotel to find out where it was located and the receptionist had security open the garage door to let us park.

The room was very clean and large enough to accommodate four people. The bed was comfortable. The location was great with easy access to popular attractions i.e., Time Square only a few blocks away. Diner and cafe within walking distance. CVS across the street from the hotel. It's a little noisy at times since the police station is down the street, but get earplugs or turn the TV up to avoid hearing busy noises. There is security 24/7 at the Hotel and they have a parking garage onsite. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The WiFi is weak for the price charged in the room.The hotel needs to improve the strength of their Wi-Fi in the rooms.

The room is big enough for my family and clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Front desk staff not friendly as to attract customers I noticed no too courteous when asked for advice and help in finding locations etc... I have good experience on great customer service, and I would love to see more courteous and friendly approach which is good for the hotel and for their own well being.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

A channel listing for the tv would've been helpful but I'm nitpicking at this point. Furnishings are a bit outdated and our toilet seat was a little loose. Pillows are very flat so ask for extra if needed. Wish the WiFi was free in order to compete with the larger hotels. That would really be my only serious gripe as far as amenities go. Can't comment on the speed as i did not purchase it.

Great customer service. Overall nice furnishings and by far the best water pressure I have ever had in an economy hotel! The large refrigerator was also a fantastic amenity. Great location, walking distance to theatre district and times square!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staffs didn’t even greet us or explained any amenties in the hotel that’s available to us. When checking in we mentioned is their an fridge & he said yes BUT when we got up there, there WASN’T one. So we called the front desk & he didn’t believe us and came off like we were lying and stupid. We know how a fridge looks like. So we took a picture and went to show him and he plays it off like wow so someone took your fridge.....I’ll send someone to bring it up. When we got back to the room two hours later the fridge was just in the middle of the walkway blocking us to walk through the room. The toilet wasn’t corporation either. We had to wait until water filled up before flushing. Like for a Saturday night $303 was NOT worth it anymore because of the lack of customer service and communication skills. Will not recommend or return to porperty EVER.

Room was spacious for four of us in the double bed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

several problems..had to move rooms cause of leak in bathroom wall, room very hot although maintenence did bring a fan as asked,.

convenience of location and price staff was very nice and accomadating and we enjoyed the noise of the city, room was clean and worked great for the little time we spent in it, ask desk for ride to airport, nice car and very professional driver way better than a taxi!!!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Main complain is that they don't offer free wi-fi. Moreover the location is very noisy and the hotel windows/walls don't provide proper insulation.

The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. Bathroom is quite small and could use some remodeling.

The thing that could use improvement is WIFI / internet connection, which was really slow.

Excellent location 3 blocks to Times squares, 600 meters to Intrepid Sea, Air&Space Museum. Port authority bus terminal and subway 700 meters from hotel. Our room was located on 3 rd floor facing inner ward and it was big enough for two / quiet. Room was cleaned daily and it was really nice to return after long day knowing that everything was in order. No need to go long way to get breakfast since there is a nice deli just next door. You can also find pharmacy, grocery and good restaurants within short walk. We would definitely recommend this hotel and intend to book room again for our future trips to New York. Helpful and friendly staff and no problems with check-in or check-out. On our departure, we had a late flight out. Hotel provided a luggage storage which enabled us to go explore NYC without heavy bags one more time before heading home. Hotel Reception also booked us transportation to JFK.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was a little run down - such as the shower and faucets. And the door to our hotel room was hard to shut - obviously old.

The location is great - just 3 blocks away from Time Square. It was easy to get to anywhere in Manhattan from here - by walking or through public transportation.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Quiet noisy room,the windows don't fit well and all traffic from 42st street disturbs a bit.

Perfectly located in the heart of Manhattan it's a good starting point to explore the city. Nice room and comfortable bad, would certainly recommend it to stay.

I already answered above why I didn’t like it!

The sheets from the bed and towels were clean and one manager who works in the afternoon - begins at 3:00pm was very nice . Also the women who cleaned the room and the security men. But , the 2 women who worked in the morning and were there yesterday around noon were very rude. I received a confirmation from you about my request on my late checkout for around 3:00 pm and they said there wasn’t such a thing. And, even after I showed your email confirming it , those 2 women answered me that was a problem to be solved between me and you from Booking , they had nothing to do with it. I reacted saying that they have a Contract with you , not me. I am the client and I have to be respected as one , not to be treated in such a bad way specially after paying so much money for a place that isn’t worse it!!!! By the way this Hotel is maximum 2 stars and not 3 or whatever. The lobby is very poor and has no one to load the luggages as in any hotel in the world specially when you payed that money!!! I had to be helped by a person from the street when I arrived !!!! Unbelievable!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Though very clean and well maintained, the hotel could use some updating. For the price it is not a big issue.

Great location. Easy to get to by car and is in walking distance to Times Square and subway. The hotel has its own parking garage and rate is less than most other lots. It is not fancy but it is nice and very clean. Staff is helpful and they work hard to keep the hotel nice. Great outdoor pool in the summer. Very reasonable room rates for the city. It made staying in Manhattan affordable for our family.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was very rude; for example, when we arrived back to the hotel around 9:30 p.m. on the second night we was stopped by the security guard and asked our room number. I was very upset so, I came back downstairs and hung out in the lobby, and I didn't see him ask anyone for there room number. We will not stay here again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I really enjoyed how close everything was walking distance, especially Time Square. I also loved how comfortable the bed was and how clean the room was.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There's no air conditioning just heat and you cannot adjust the temperature. It's steamingly hot. Had to open the window to sleep!

You only pay for the location. That's it. Bathroom is small and bed is uncomfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The location was great. Very close to Times Square and Subway stations. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. We were traveling with an infant, toddler, and older child and everyone was happy. So many food options for delivery as well, which came in very handy for our family at night! Loved the shower in our room and onsite parking was easy and convenient.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great location!!! Close to Times Square,subway, bus access, restaurants etc..The room was dated but duable, affordable with parking onsite. I highly recommend this affordable hotel to anyone who wants to experience Manhattan(Times Square).

No coffee in room!

Great location if you are attending anything at the Javit center. Also just 15 minute walk to Time Square. They have their own parking garage with reasonable rates. ($20) per day. And you can access your car. Rooms on street side can be noisy (nyc noise) but inside rooms are quiet. Great deli next to hotel for breakfast.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Additional wifi is for a small fee ($6 per stay) and the signal is not great. We had a hair dryer not working properly (it was smoking, which could be very dangerous) and got replaced, I think (we did not check back). Also, when one of us was taking a shower, the water all of a sudden turned brown. We let the water all go, and then it was back to normal color but I wonder if there is a pipe problem somewhere.

This is my second time at Travel Inn - the first being a few years ago; the location is perfect, the hotels does its job well. Parking is no longer free ($20 per night) but it is still very reasonable for NYC, and it was calculated in the Booking.com price on the reservation (so I imagine you may pay less if you did not have a car to park)

The door to the pool deck from the room is closed permanently I wish you would have been able to go out that way but it’s okay.

The front desk man is awesome! And the property was very clean and smellt great! In March when we go back to New York we will be staying here again it is in a perfect location in the city also!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I inquired about book a room for another trip, the man at the desk told me to go online. He didn't even get up from his chair to talk to me.

I liked the reasonable car parking fee.

NA

parking was excellent on-site on the second floor heated garage which we could access from the building. It was extremely cold when we visited but parking and accessing car from inside the building was so convenient and comfortable. The rate is also very reasonable.

The guy in the garage

At first when we was checking in I stay in the car to wait for my husband and a guy in a gray SUV came beeping his horn really loud when my husband came to the car and we started to enter the garage parking he still was looking at us as if we did a crime after he saw our pass to enter he kind of change , overall it was nice hotel smell really good from the parking to the room front fest guy was very nice room was roomy very nice pool outside too bad it was winter .. couldn't enjoy the pool .. location was great too , and last the restaurant right attached to the hotel was very nice and quick for breakfast price was good too .. will be coming back to this hotel A+

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Many items of deferred maintenance: window cannot be closed leaving a crack for noise and cold air to penetrate to the room, desk light did not work, shower drain was clogged and slow to drain, heater fan was making noise (fixed by the staff). Wi-fi was available but for a fee: at the time you could get it in any cafe, you should not charge your guests for it.

Convenient location and reasonable price. Many choices for food near-by

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There wasn't anything I didn't like. I kind of wished they had breakfast but really it was no problem because of all the awesome cafe's in the area. Street noise might be bothersome to some, so be sure to ask for a room that's not too close to the street.

When I arrived I instantly loved the location; super close to time square and right across from a police department. The room was remodeled and very spacious. There was also a mini fridge and a microwave which was very convenient. Staff was also very friendly and helpful. Overall wonderful experience!

The bathroom was too dirty I didn’t even take a shower. And theyw asked for a deposit saying in case we take anything from the bar but there isn’t anything on the fridge. Not even water.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a small circular stain on the carpet floor which had quite a strong smell. Couldn’t work out what it was and couldn’t do anything about it. Was a little off putting. Other than that couldn’t fault the place.

Room was very spacious. Cleaned to a high standard every day. Everything looks well looked after. Views weren’t bad. Location was perfect. Will stay here again when I visit NYC!

Night receptionists patronize solo female guests, taxes are too high - 18% compared to 14.75% in other New York hotels. Internet is not free, it cost $ 5.99 plus tax whereas other hotels in New York don't charge anything. Check-out is messy with only one woman working on the counter whilst the other took ages to get up from a desk to see people.

Good sized bedroom with large bed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Good, fresh coffee in the lobby would go a long way.

Clean, roomy, comfortable, quiet, convenient, simple, no frills, no extras, no issues. Repeat customer.

A.M. noise started early in the hallway outside my room. The bed was a little too soft.

super clean; spacious by NYC standards. Fast, efficient check-in. The alarm clock WORKED.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The location is just perfect! Just a few blocks away from Time Square makes you to be in the center of it, but far enough to leave all that street noise where it belongs.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The facility is old and bad, air conditioning is controlled by the hotel, and it is smelly and really dirty.

The location is great, near Time square and Statue of Liberty cruise.The great thing is that the room they provided had a window to open

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the staff at the front desk is rude (one guy) . he didnt help me to resolve the issue, i dont know if he is tired.. but he should atleast smile and show us that we are welcome to this hotel.. our room is too noisy, we can even hear the conversation outiside the hotel. plus theres construction going on in the opposite side of the hotel since its not sounds proff hotel , we can hear it its hard to sleep..

its too close to timesquare .. we really loved it..

No free Internet! They charge additional $7 .also no breakfast, hotel was advertised at $103 per night but is actually $221

Good location to reach the port.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

1st room given, and parking cost 30.00 they don't tell you until check out but I guess the convenience was worth it!

The location! 2nd Room was nice, was first put into an outdated room with no windows facing the street, it was facing the inside of hotel, requested another room, ask us a few questions about how long we were staying, we didn't think that was relevant so we went down to lobby had another key ready, 2nd room given was bigger and updated! And facing street! Don't settle! Timesquare is walking distance!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The shower. The water pressure could have been stronger

Travel inn is very convenient to goto TIME SQUARE, an to the public theater. Will go back to travel inn

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

A bit too noisy at night because it is beside the road, so better bring some ear plugs or ask to be moved to a quieter area. The staff at night are not the friendliest, but they will help you with your questions.

Super convenient location as it is just a few avenues away from the train station! Lots of restaurants, cafes, and convenience stores around. The best part is that it is just 10 minutes away from Times Square (on foot)!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I am incredibly impressed by the price per night and the convenience of location. The desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

All front staff are so bad. They are not friendly, also even I say hi, they don't say anything. I don't recommend this hotel, and also I don't stay anymore for sure.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was very clean, seems recently renovated. bed was comfortable, we had a good stay. Very close to Times square and other attractions.. lots of restaurants nearby

Sound from the street goes inside. Conditioning system from 80s. Paid Wi-Fi in XXI century. No breakfast

Clean room, pleasant staff, cosy room atmosphere. Separate room to store luggage

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I booked/paid for a double room with double beds and got a single room with one bed and a light busted. The staff was very rude and unconcerned with my booking error and told me to deal with that they can offer. Never going back to this place.

I liked that it was conveniently located by stores and bars.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very small bathroom , no socket near mirror for hair apart from tiny bathroom

The cheap parking directly owned by hotel . Rooftop would would of been great to use in summer

The room was hot. The decor was old and unattractive. When I tried to turn on the air you could see mold inside the covers. The toilet did not flush properly. It smelled musty. The mini fridge didn’t work. The sheets were not crisp, though clean they were pilled. Hot water was scalding And the knob dripped scalding water in the tub during the shower so you had to avoid that area in the tub while using.

There was nothing appealing about this hotel

The locker in my bedroom DOES NOT work which leads to extreme insecurity throughout the night. Very noisy (not neighborhood) but the people who stay or work are extremely noisy even at 3am. You also have to pay 6$ per day for WiFi. For god sake.

The location is the only pro about this hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The cost of WiFi was more than I would have exptected considering that most hotels have free WiFi for guests. There was a microwave but no tea or coffee facilities. Our room faced the street on the 4th floor and the hotel is almost opposite a police station so could be noisy during the night.

The beds were comfy, the linen changed everyday, the location within walking distance of Times Square and though a little bit further, Central Park. It is a good base for seeing the sights of NY. While not the best vallue for money, overall was happy with the service, location and staff during our stay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only thing I would suggest is to have a coffee maker in the room. That really is all I can think of as the room and location were great. There is a deli right next door for the morning coffee run :)

Excellent location. Comfortable beds and helpful staff.

People in the reception were unfriendly. The bathroom should be refurbish.

Very well located. 5-10 minutes walking to Times Square. Spacious and comfortable room. I had a microwave and a mini-fridge in the room.

Bathroom needs updating----little pricey for an old hotel---Wi-Fi had a daily charge of $5.95.

The location was great--close to Time Square, Empire State Bldg., around Manhattan Island ferry cruise, Broadway, Hell's Kitchen, Top of the Rock, and other sites. Subway within 2 blocks of the hotel. Room was comfortable and clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They advertise a gym and pool but the pool was closed for the season and there is not a gym at all.

Great location, close to just about everything. Great staff, fair parking.

Starting to show age, particularly the bathroom. The door was tough to close properly.

We found the location to be ideal and the price tough to beat. The hotel was sufficiently clean. The pool looked nice, although I didn't see anyone use it. Great food a few blocks away at Gotham Market. Ten minutes walk to Times Square - close enough, but far enough also. We felt safe and secure near and in the hotel. The staff were all friendly, and we were able to leave our bags in a secure room before we checked in and after we checked out for free.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

First day receptionist was a cool guy and he wrote the garage paper for 2 days and i said "my car is rental and i will bring it back to agent so it will stay here just one night can you correct the paper?" And he said no problem when you checking out we can correct it. But when im checking out he said i cant do it and you had to gave that paper when you go out with car. But he never said something about it. He tried to charge extra for it and he did act like im l lying to him after i said i want you to watch your security cameras and he suddenly said okay i wont charge it. What a shame for a person lying to his customer and act like customer is lying.

Close the time square Has a otopark Refrigrator and microwave

Could have done with a kettle or coffee maker but room service was available.

This hotel is quite near Times Square and the main central bus terminal many of the places to visit were easy to walk to and metro, bus, taxis readily accessible.. The adjacent diner served a very good breakfasts. Can recommend this hotel whole heartily.

• Room Selected At Check-In (2 People)

As being myself a receptionist I found that the staff could have been nicer. I saw how they were treating an old couple with respect and politeness, but to us not even a smile. When checking in the ladies they didn't even explain us that they charged me a deposit, where the room was or anything else. When we checked out the only thing the lady said was: "to the credit card?" I asked three times what did she mean and she kept repeating the same question until I gave up and said ok. Location is the best thing.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Need to berry hot and the. Handy Man just clean the filter and told us that its set up to a computer that he cannot do nothing about it

The place was nice clean and staff its great

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel room was looking a little date, AC was noisy and curtains bizarrely didn't close !! HOWEVER The price and the location really made up for all the issues, and with the bonus of a pool for the kids you really cannot grumble !

Pool and location excellent.

• Room Selected At Check-In (2 People)

We had no hot water for 24 hours and management offered no compensation. Also the ventilation system woke us up three mornings in a row at 3am due to a very loud screaming noise.

Location and cleanliness. Spotlessly clean. Very handy location. We were able to walk to wherever we needed to go. Great deli next door.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Expensive as everything in NY...

Excellent location at walking distance from Times Square and the piers where sightseeing tours depart from. Easy access to supermarkets and restaurants. The pool is wonderful in summer. Very helpful staff (we had an issue with a tap and it was fixed in minutes)

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only 10-15 mins walk from Times Square. Over and above expectations as was a budget booking but the staff were so friendly, professional and smart. I had a couple of questions...came to my room immediately when I couldn't change channel on tv (my error!) for example. Good sized room, clean, attractive and plenty of fresh towels. Very clean. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Furniture and interior decorations are a bit old school. Due to some misunderstandings, the room wasn't cleaned after the first night, which was very inconvenient considering there were 4 of us sharing a quadruple!

The location is excellent and super convenient, just a few minutes away from Times Square and other ameneties. They were very flexible and kind, letting us store our luggage before check in and after check out.

Booked a room with 2 double beds for 2 teen boys and myself, grandmother, what I GOT WAS ONE ROOM WITH a double bed . I called the front desk to tell them what I had booked and he said they are full until tomorrow, Then the air conditioner didn't work well and made a lot of noise and then caught on fire. They sent maintence up to check and ended up having to get us fans for the night. Because of the inconvience the next morning they moved us to a 2 bed room that was very nice and they took $100.00 off of our bill, which was very nice .

THE MAINTENCE MAN ON 2ND SHIFT WAS VERY NICE AND HE WENT OUT OF HIS WAY TO HELP US.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

You need to pay for the WiFi, however given the value of the nightly rates this is only a minor drawback.

Excellent value simple hotel in a great location within 10 minutes' walking distance of Times Square, the Port Authority Bus Terminal and 42nd Street subway station. Lots of amenities nearby including an adjoining café which is very convenient for breakfast. Also close to the Intrepid Museum and Hudson River cruises terminal. Nice clean, well maintained rooms and a decent sized bathroom with a good shower. Highly recommended!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the big problem was the charge, because I paid in the hotel all the fees included for $ 220.20 and when I went to see my bank account, they charged 249.65. this is unacceptable, employees with no character, there is no honesty in this hotel.

The building and rooms are old, but it's clean, no peeling paint, no broken applicances. It's a gem of a hotel.

Close to Times Square and Javits Center. It's a great value.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Shower was broken in our room, and furnishings are worn. Bed was extremely uncomfortable. Not surprised that upkeep isn't a priority since hotel is being replaced by high-rise residential building this fall.

Location is great, on-site parking is convenient, and staff are friendly.