Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham Flagstaff University West 2 stars

801 West Route 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86001, USA

#46 of 63 hotels in Flagstaff

Getting in and out of the parking lot.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Getting in and out of the parking lot. Couldn't take breakfast food back to room. Felt cramped in breakfast area. Too many cars with trailers taking up more that one parking space. So parking space limited.

3.0
    Inexcusable and unexceptable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room carpet was dirty. During the night the toilet / shower ? Overflowed throughout the bathroom on to the carpet. Perhaps this is why it was dirty. I called the front desk for help and housekeeping brought me a plunger. I refused to clean up the mess. We were moved to another room to shower no offer was made to help move our things. We asked for a refund 10% was offered, we refused and will complain to Wyndham / Howard Johnson’s Corp. The bathroom door and woodwork were clearly water damaged from previous floods the entry door and room lights were damaged.

Good value
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

- there isn’t much to see in the nearby area (but that isn’t the property’s fault, there just isn’t much to see in Flagstaff)

-clean -free parking -free and good WiFi -within walking distance to Galaxy diner (real cool 50s style diner)

Worked, but really over priced for the room.

Breakfast was a joke. Room is way too small, and for the amount of people at the hotel, there was not enough food. Just bypassed it and went to IHOP.

Shower was small, but good pressure and good hot water. Bed was more firm than I would like, but good. Overall not too bad for an older motel.

Troubled service
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

First of all when I got to property to check in the woman could not find my reservation then after 10 mins of searching she finally found it. I did try to show her my reservation on my phone and she said i was at the wrong location. I read the address to her and let her know i was very well familiar with the area and she agreed i was in the right place. After finding my reservation she then tried to charge me way more than the price that was given and im not talking about a few bucks off but a couple hundred. Again I resorted to my confirmation booking that was on my phone. She then dropped the price about a hundred sumthin and asked how many people in the room so i told her 5 and she said booking was only for 2 and was going to cost me extra for the extra 3 people. Again i showed her my booking confirmation and told her i was not trying to cheat my way around. She then resorted to saying her computer froze and it wasnt matching thw information i was given. So after all the trouble jus trying to give them my business i got a bit frustrated and told her to cancel my reservation and i would take my business elsewhere she magically found the right information. She also said i had to call the booking agency but on the confirmation it said call the property for a free cancellation before a certain time, which i once again resorted to showing her my phone. I ended up getting the room due to the time wasted only because i had very little time to look for another place and get to work on time. Reservation was for business as well as leisure time with family. Room was a little congested, very little room to move around with a family of 5.

Property was close to geocery stores, gas stations, and clothing stores.

It was ok.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The sheets and pillow cases had stain on them and when I asked for clean sheets and pillow cases, the front desk person said there was no one on staff to do that since it was 9:00pm

Had a fridge and microwave

Never again....
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Read the above. It was all pretty bad.

Didn’t like anything except location. Room smelled horrible of animal pee. (Which we got a pet friendly room because we brought our dog...THAT IS A POTTY TRAINED 6lb chihuahua.) Wouldn’t let my kids walk on the ground without shoes. I DONT KNOW WHAT THEY USE THE $15 pet fee on but it’s not cleaning agents for that room. We didn’t use the shower because it wasn’t cleaned and had mold. The beds were the worst I’ve ever slept on. Hard springs poking up and had multiple stains. Fridge didn’t work. Was just the worst stay ever. I’m not a high maintenance person, but when I feel gross and don’t even want to sleep under the blankets then it’s pretty bad. I camp outside and still wouldn’t get under these covers.

Property nice,management doesn’t care.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The way the management approach the problem likeit wasn’t any of their concern.

Heat did not work properly, and when they brought heaters in the breakers in the room tripped so the t.v, fridge and lights shut off.

I don't plan to stay at this Howard Johnson again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

One of the rooms we stayed in (room 210) had trouble with the toilet. Several times during our stay I had to plunge the toilet. The first time was the first night. I called the front desk to let them know. They apologized for the inconvenience. The next day I plunged the toilet twice before we checked out. At check out, when I went to the front desk, I informed a woman who came out from the back of the incident. She appeared to be surprised at the information. I told her that I had already reported the problem the night before. She said that she was sorry that it happened. I was not offered any compensation for the problem... The other thing that I did not care for is that they advertise "Breakfast". However, there was a continental breakfast which was not stated when I booked the rooms.

When we arrived a gentleman named Anthony greeted us and checked us in. He was very nice and professional. He gave us our keys and asked if we had any questions. We went to our rooms and found that in one of the rooms the beds were too small. I called the front desk and asked if another room was available. A gentleman answered and said he would have the manager to check and call me back. Anthony called me back saying that he could accommodate us. I went down, paid the difference for the upgrade and moved to the new room.

Great location, and courteous staff.
    • Family Suite

Wasn't happy with how cold the room was, even when the heat was all the way on high. The room never got warm. There was no heat vent in the bathroom, so it stayed freezing in there.

Very kid friendly. And front desk staff was very accommodating, had excellent customer service presence, as well as very professional. Great location, and quiet.

Don't stay here if you don't have to
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

EVERYTHING, This Inn should simply close its doors. The rooms are old, ice cold, ultra noisy (train passes every 15 minutes, literally!!), bed bugs, SCARY!!! The breakfast?!? consistes of instant coffee (NO other option) and packaged danishes (nothing for the diabetics). TERRIBLE. NOTHING is good about this place.

NOTHING

Booking.com is a con website and bad value

I will never use booking.com again. It is a scam website The room was worth $50 at most and I paid $150. breakfast was god awful. The heater was loud and kept going on off on off all night

It was ok and needs better breakfast for the price.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast area not large enough to accommodate the guests. Should not have someone make waffles and may expect a tip.

Rooms were decent and staff was nice.

Room was very easy to access which was welcomed after a long...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Walls were very thin so we could hear everything outside and in the next room. Lights outside the room were very bright and the curtains couldn't block out the light.

Room was very easy to access which was welcomed after a long day.

Excellent value and very close to Northern Arizona University

the sun streams in through the bathroom unless you keep the door closed.

The room was very comfortable and the price was a great value. The location of this hotel is awesome

Our family enjoyed our stay at the Inn so we stayed an extra night. Price was awesome.
    • Family Suite

Perhaps the breakfast could be improved by providing fruit - bananas, oranges, etc - and water.

Great price - $99 plus tax. The rooms were lovely for us and our 5 kids. There was plenty of room, it was warm, comfortable and appropriate for our needs as a family. Breakfast was nice too with the cereal, toast, fruit juice and waffles which was a nice start to our days activities. Given we are a family of 7, the laundry was very handy too. The Howard Johnson Inn is a great place to stay for families and for individuals.

Beds were a little more than singles,A/C control at...

Beds were a little more than singles,A/C control at ceiling height use a chair, no bathtub small tiled dirty shower. Old motel not really renovated 😢

Comfortable and relaxing
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Power strip in room didn't work but then realized I didn't need it.

Room was comfortable, with bed being just right (not too soft or hard). Location was very accessible for walking to local restaurants, which were recommended by Anthony. Enjoyed stay and would stay there again

Good room for that Price
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Compared to a motel all was good I do not understand why Other People crotisised the loud Train: you can here then in the whole City - but not at Night

Easy to find, Close to Citycentre Tee and coffeemachine in room Breakfast was easy but typical american for this price

A place to sleep. That's about it.
    • Family Suite

Very basic. View out the window was of a brick wall a few feet away. The toilet clogged and nobody came to fix it although we called. The area is sketchy. I wouldn't return.

A place to sleep. Breakfast was OK.

Polite and helpful staff trying their best with a currently barely adequate property.

The desk had no convenient electric outlets for recharging cell phone or laptop. The microwave and coffee maker were not plugged in and the power strip source was inconveniently attached to the wall behind the flat screen TV. The cable service had HBO but only two of the four networks. The bathroom was very dated and had no place to set make up bags or shaving kits. Avoid this room and its neighbor near the laundry room because the window opens to car repair shop.

Good location convenient to NAU and the historic downtown and a major shopping center.

Good value for our road trip, basic motel met our needs.

Room was claean but I marked it down because a "no smoking"room definitely had a smokey smell about it. Disappointing after we were informed that we would incur a special cleaning charge if we, non smokers, smoked in the room.

Breakfast was basic continental. Nothing special but it got the day started. Location was easy to find and a short Uber ride to dinner options. Petrol station conveniently close for fuel and basics.

Would stay again
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Something that spoiled the excellent impression about the staff was a lady in the morning at breakfast who asked us to wait while she was operating one waffle pan out of two, but after that when some guests came who spoke her language, she immediately switched on the other pan to serve the waffles faster.

The breakfast in the morning had waffles, instant porridge, cereal and toasts. Perhaps there was more but I didn't take more, so don't remember. The room had fridge with a freezer compartment and a microwave.

Nice old motel within walking distance to NAU
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The price was a bit high considering the age of the motel. There was a pad but no pen in the room.

The location was close to Northern Arizona University in fact it was within walking distance which I appreciated

Central location just across the street from the university.

The curtains didn't quite close letting light in from the outside.

Central location just across the street from the university. Very comfortable bed and pillows. Easy, free parking.

We loved the thunder and lightening!

There was NO HOT WATER - ONLY WARM WATER. But the sink had hot water. The air conditioner was very loud For the price, there could have been a better variety for Breakfast and the coffee was watered down, it had no flavor!

The Bed was comfortable

5 star for there coffee.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I booked a two queen bed room ,but got a full size bed room that smell like a pet room and daughter found a Toe nail in her bed😫

5 star for there coffee.

Slightly Traumatic
    • Family Suite

We were disappointed in this facility. The room had a bad odor which turned me off immediately, and because it seemed unsafe and we were at ground level, opening the windows was only okay briefly. Stains on the carpet and it needed some cleaning in the bathroom as well. I took several pictures. It has been "renovated" but was still lacking. On a positive note, the bed slept okay, but was blanket underneath the coverlet was worn and matted, and the whole room was very dated. It also seemed to attract vagrants and some men who were totally "creepy." Our grand kids were scared to go to sleep. Not a good place for families. Breakfast area didn't have much to eat.

Our bed slept comfortably.

Flagstaff tourists trap .

I didn't realize that Flagstaff was such a tourist trap i.e. Hotel pricing was outrageous 😜 Breakfast at Mc Donald's was $10.19 for a sausage Mc Muffin, hash brown and small orange juice I should of went to IHOP and save myself some $ 🤔

Bed was very nice and comfie 👍🏼 Facility some what dated but everything worked 😎

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Friendly staff and great price
    • Family Suite

There was not enough parking and I had to park far away from our room. Also, there appeared to be homeless person wondering through. Not sure if that was random or what but something to consider. The rooms are old and outdated but freshly painted.

The breakfast was good. They served waffles, muffins and many types of cereals. The room had an attached small room giving us 3 queen beds. We had a large group of teens.

Starry starry night

The breakfast was lacking in protein.

This is an older motel but it has recently been remodeled and the rooms were quite nice. The bed was very comfortable and the outside environment was quiet. We selected this motel for it's proximity to the Lowell Observatory which we visited the night we arrived.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

DON't stay here!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room had a terrible odor. The windows were open when we went in, so that should have been my 1st clue. The beds were very uncomfortable. The shower floor looked like it had mold growing around the edges. I wouldn't take a shower in it. Most of all, though, it was very overpriced for the condition of the room. We only stayed there because everything else was booked that would allow a pet. And we were very tired. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

The restuarant next to it had good food. I can't say I liked anything about the hotel.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Comfortable and affordable

Our business trip was for one night only.

The bed is very comfortable, the temperature of the room was very easy to manipulate. Quiet, clean, and very affordable.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

They have riped up the carpet outside in front of the doors.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They have riped up the carpet outside in front of the doors. My son and I were sneezing and stuffed up as soon as we got into the room. There was also white goo in the shower drain.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

It was ok. Pet friendly maybe
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We are traveling with little dogs that will only potty on grass, but there is no grass around the hotel at all. Just rocks and an area by a dumpster with a bunch of broken glass. The hotel was ok. It wasn't the nicest one we stayed at on our trip, but there were no bugs so that's good.

It was clean and quiet.close proximity to a Walgreens.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

It is what it is
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Cleanliness of the rooms was very poor. Noticed sheets were put on inside out which makes me thing they do not change sheets at all they just flip them. Also bathroom floor was disgusting...you definitely need shower shoes so you don't catch some nasty disease. Other than that....I just slept and left asap.

Easy access to the city

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Great place for families.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Little more on the breakfast menu. What they had was sparse - ran out of items by 8:00.

Loved the family room with 3 beds and extra room. Very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

A good value, but could be an even better value if...

They charge $15 per night per pet. They do let you know this in their confirmation but it should have been stated before booking. It was still a good value. The other downside was that the heater wasn't working well the first night. I walked into the room in 20° weather and the bathroom window wide open. I thought the room would heat quickly, but it heated slowly and stopped at, I'm guess, around 55 °. I was so cold I slept in my sweater. Before I could report this the next day, maintenance showed up to change the filter in the heater, and that fixed the problem, but I wish they would have done it the day before and not left that window open. The cold on the first night really affected my experience.

I appreciated them accepting pets. It was clean and well appointed, and had a fridge. It was a really good value.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Great price for sleeping 6 and comfy, clean room!
    • Family Suite

Breakfast was only cereal and toast. Have a child with food allergies and cereal and toast aren't real fillers. No staff out during breakfast.

The location was super close to NAU! Clean room and soft beds!

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Convenient location, value at te lower price

We stayed 2 times in one week. When we returned for our second stay the price had tripled due to a football game at the university. A bit of price gouging!!!

location and helpful clerk

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Fair hotel

No gluten free options for breakfast. The sheet weren't clean at the first night. Had some noise of dripping water on some metallic board throughout the night which bothered me to sleep, maybe only at the room I had.

Great and helpful staff. Simple breakfast.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Great stay!

We stayed ground floor and we could hear weird noises from upstairs(somebody woking/making love) it made us really disturbing! If you are booking here you should stay upstair!

It was great stay! They got breakfast every morning! Coffeepot and refrigerator too! Recently updated restroom was really clean!

Overall, Great stay at the HOWARD JOHNSON INN UNIVERSITY!!! GOOD value for cost.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Our shower "Hot & Cold" water handle didn't work. Had cold showers both days in room # 210.

Location to Flagstaff and all Flagstaff's attractions....both food and recreation.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Okay for one night.

The room wasn't too spacious and could use upgrades like new carpet... Bathroom was really small.

Value is okay, breakfast was great - we liked the fresh waffles...

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

it was okay

Traintracks 200 meter from accomodation, but there are motels worse then this one

It was okay for one night. Its older, noisyer but if you are tired, you're happy to sleep

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Location very clean and secure
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No space super tiny. We were in 2 queen room. The coffee pot and micro were not plugged nor was there a wall plug had to put on floor to use. Plugs wouldn't reach even if I unplugged fridge or tv to use. Bathroom had tiny shelf and not hooks to hang towel. Not happy find new place for 2nd night.

Location very clean and secure

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

All good

Was good nothing to complain!

Good breakfast, close to gas station, some diners, grocery store. Clean room, old carpet tho, bathroom room was in good condition, had a little fridge and a TV. We came from South Rim Grand Canyon (about 1,5 hr drive) and headed to the Antelope Canyon (2-3hr drive). We got everything we needed from there!

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Great value, but not perfect.

The free breakfast was laughable. The key cards had to be reprogrammed every day.

Well-designed but very small, even crowded, rooms. Perfect location--right in the middle of things. Very strong wi-fi signal.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

If all you need is a place to sleep.......

This is a tired property in need of an update. The good news is its location near downtown, the university and having easy highway access makes this a viable location.

This is a convenient, if run down, place to stay. The price was right.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

It was nice to have free breakfast, and the staff was...
    • Family Suite

Convenient location but a little over-priced for what you get. Maintenance could improve (i.e. towel rack falling off the wall in the bathroom).

It was nice to have free breakfast, and the staff was friendly. They let us check in an hour early.

Bad

Mold in the shower. Plus drain didn't work.

Bad hotel good location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room had a bad smell and uncomfortable beds.

Good central location.

Very nice.

We couldn't stay longer.

Howard Johnson was a great place to stay it was clean and all the staff was very nice.

Good value for money if you just need a place to rest and sleep on your trip.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast selection is rather sparse.

Clean room, comfortable beds.

Location is great!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Location is great! Chick Fila right down the road. Staff was very friendly as well!

Disappointed about this property, especially after paying so much to stay!

Not as advertised. Staff was rude. Could hear every movement the people upstairs made. Breakfast was ridiculous.

Normal

Breakfasr

I don't no

The receptionist wasn’t friendly

The receptionist wasn’t friendly

It was a good value and a nice place.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The outside needed a little tlc

It was clean and neat. Comfortable beds and pillows

Walking Distance to Walgreens, gas station, goodwill, and...

Walking Distance to Walgreens, gas station, goodwill, and restaurants

Overall my stay was good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was served a little late

Location was good

Rooms are old and need make overs

Rooms are old and need make overs

nearby my travel place

breakfast is too simple

nearby my travel place

Awesome

Nice clean room and comfy.

We all had a lousy night sleep
    • Family Suite

No heat in room The facilities are very old and tired

No heat uncomfortable beds. This is a facility that needs major updates

The proximity to where I needed to be

It smelled bad, like dirty linen.

The proximity to where I needed to be

Poor quality all around.

The place was filthy

Nothing, I will never stay at a howard Johnson's based on this experience.

Staff was good but the place is definitely need a big improvement
    • Family Suite

Mattress was so rough we could hear every single walking steps from people above us, not a good night sleep for us

We went across the street for breakfast.

We went across the street for breakfast. Wanted a little more substantial meal.

Great service

Great location; the reception staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

Good value if your expectations aren't too high.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Continental breakfast was VERY minimal compared to other motels. Nearly worthless.

Good value. Walking distance to many restaurants, etc.

Only vacancy in flagstaff

Bathroom, lighting

Lovation

Great stay at a mid level hotel. For what I paid, I received everything I expected.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I love that they have pet rooms for only $15 more.

sleeped good tired, b
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

parking lot a little small

bed was nice; didn't stay long.just passing thru

The facility is very clean.

The bathroom shower is a bit small.

The facility is very clean. The location is great is close to school and restaurants.