Reviews of Motel 6 Madison East 2 stars

4202 East Towne Boulevard, Madison, WI 53704, USA

#54 of 55 hotels in Madison

5.6

5.1

The place is a mess, rooms are terrible, carpet is filthy and the AC is and old wall is unit with no cover that didn’t work. The toilet leaked on the floor every time it was flushed and the shower curtain rod was falling off the wall. The neighborhood is sketchy at best, it’s a wonder we weren’t robbed. What has happened to Madison? The only thing missing was a few drug addictions laying in the hallway.

They took pets.

Too small. No night light. Saggy mattress. No breakfast other than coffee. Air conditioner hardly worked or didn't work. Not enough blankets.

Quiet.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I did not see that all guests needed to register, even those who are not the official renters of the room. While I understand that staff may request for my guest to register, it was done in a very rude manner and was thoroughly accusatory in the way it was done.

Office phone calls at the desk were very disturbing at night time. I could not sleep well. The price was not exactly and little higher than I got in online booking.

Everything was acceptable for this price

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We had a late check in and it took 45 minutes to get checked in and our room. The room was in need of dire updating. The comforter had a few cigarette type holes in it. Although the tub was clean, it was stained and looked disgusting, plus peeling wall paper all over.

It was inexpensive.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Out of the hundreds of hotels I’ve stayed in my life, this was One of the worst ones. I stayed here about 5 years ago when it was a bay mint and it was bad then. I guess it has gotten worse. They must have some deal with the state to house the local welfare people, because by the looks of most people there they couldn’t afford $10 a night let alone the $80 that I paid. There was so much stuff wrong it would take me an hour to list it all. So I will just throw out a few things. If this was priced at $40 a night I probably could understand but for $80 the place was ridiculous. No shampoo, no lotion, no Kleenex??? Bathroom door and knob needs major attention, cat litter all over by tv stand, window permanently sealed shut??? Loud obnoxious guests, they probably live there. Terrible

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Wires exposed around the PTAC unit. Exhaust fans were noisy, and one was probably not turning at all. Clean or replacement recommended. When I turned the water on, it smelled like there were carcasses of Asian beetles in the drain

While definitely worn around the edges, the room and halls did appear to be clean. Interactions with the staff were favorable, and this is probably the cheapest room you will find in the Madison area.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel, especially our room had a foul odor, much like sweaty feet and spoiled food. The carpet in our room was full of stains that could have been anything. Some looked liked dried blood. The bathtub had so much soap scum on the bottom, you could see that they tried to clean it, that we had to put the floor towel in it to stand on because we were afraid that we could catch something like some type of foot fungus. We also had an issue with getting the heat to work, which we overheard several other quests complain about the same thing. I guess the saying is true, “you get what you pay for”.

The staff was friendly. When we arrived at 3pm to check in, we had to wait 15 min because of a shift change with an employee that was from a different location to cover a shift. That would have been fine but the employee that was leaving decided to carry on a conversation about plans for the night and other things NOT related to the job. We had to get checked in, our things in our room, try to figure out how to get the heat to work, and back out the door in less than 15min to get to the Wedding that we were in town for that was on the other side of town and at least a 25min drive.

Room heater loud enough to disturb from sleep. I had to use the garbage can full of water to flush a normal turd down the commode. Revalidating the door card daily when I reserved for 10 nights was irritating.

Bed was soft enough for side sleeping.

Not so friendly staff from night, but the staff in morning is in much better attitude. Bed sheets has lints on it and make my wife very uncomfortable, because she has sensitive skin.

Good place to stay for the money.

Not getting an INSTANT REFUND!😡😡😡

No towels. Bed was WET with unknown fluids TV inoperable And Telephone was missing Also a lamp had a cut electrical cord causing a Short circuit! 🤬

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

They gave me a one bed suite instead of a two bed so my daughter had to sleep on the floor.the bed was horrible and.the. Key cards refused to work I got 6 key cards and they all didn't work

The reservation was canceled because of a credit card problem and you didn't notified me. The hotel and the city was full and I had to get another hotel all over the city at night cause there wans't vacancy in nowhere. I don't want to use your app anymore.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the phrase "we are short of staff" whenever I requested the motel staff to clean the room and change the bed sheets or provide new towels. I went to get new set of towels, soap, shampoo and even clean bed sheets. I was suppose to change them as well.

Air conditioner smelled. Old tv & decore. Toilet didn't flush properly. Could only enter thru the lobby. Sign out front advertised lower price.

Check-out staff was dismissive. They don't allow guests to store luggage anywhere but a publicly accessible area.

Check-in staff was great. Room was clean and a great value. Good location near place of business and Madison airport. My place of choice when visiting Madison.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Some of the other people who stayed in the rooms adjacent to mine were unruly. One woman repeatedly knocked and yelled at my door.

The room was very clean and comfortable. It was also located very close to where I needed to go! It was a very good value: inexpensive, but not cheap.

No continental breakfast. Staff only smiled if you made them. No microwave or fridge in room.

I like that it was cheaper than any other hotel for this weekend.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room smelled really moldy, shower head was broken, toilet ran, wifi was free, but really slow. Deadbolt on door was broken.

Bed was pretty comfy. Air conditioner worked well.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Many of the people staying and some of the "women" coming at going throughout the night wasn't exactly comforting.

Only hotel we could find in town. Wasn't bad, did the job for the two nights.

Travelling from Chicago on limited time, I was not able to check in until 11p due to a wedding event I worked 20 miles away. My reservation was cancelled before I arrived. Had to rebook directly through that Motel 6 location directly for $34 more. They will not refund the difference. Also the front desk clerk was terrible at her job. I had to get my room key scanned 3 times to get in. Also holding on to my identification she still asked for my name.

Seemed to be very cheap and run down, no fridge. Microwave was at the front.

Close to everything, easy to get in and out of. Seemed cheazy at first but was comfortable

Cancelled my booking even though I had confirmation through Booking.com. Forced to pay more than double for room (I arrived at 11pm) and when I complained to Manager in morning she refused to listen and threatened to call police if I didn't leave!! NB: Motel 6 parent company, subsequently refunded difference and provide voucher for future use.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the fact that somebody checked into my room as me on my credit card, then didn't want to leave when they got kicked out

They took good care of me when I got there.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They were very strict, had to scan ID, have parking permit. I have never experienced this before. I could smell cigarette smoke on the parking lot, in the hallway.

I got more amenities elsewhere paying the same price. There was no fridge or microwave. The tub faucet was covered with hard water stains. The carpet was dirty. The one light by TV was not operable. The TV felt like it was from the 1980s. There was alot of static, picture quality was poor.

AC/heat system was odd. Walls were paper thin, and there were several loud neighbors.

The staff were excellent and friendly. The rooms were generally as expected for a motel of this price; the bed, floor, and bathroom were all fairly clean. The bed was comfortable, and the room had an HD television.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Well, Even Tho' I Has a Reservation, I still Had to Wait Until a Room or Should I Say MY ROOM was Ready, & I HAD TO WAIT OUTSIDE the Premises, I Felt Like, I wanted to Give away My Money & They Acted like they Could Live with it or Without it

What Eggs ????? There was No Contenential Breakfast, just Coffee & Water

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Noisey and staff other than maid weren't helpful or curtious. Staff mopping floor at check out time in lobby and giving custudirty looks as we go about our business of leaving

Price

Vending machines empty and not filled in timely manner, asked for later check out while waiting for someone to drive me home as I was experiencing vertigo, wouldn't even budge half hour, staff watched me struggle getting doors and luggagein as I'm disabled an had fallen and had cervical collar, arm/shoulder sling and cane

Price, Maide was nice, asked n received extra pillows

Drunks trying to walk in the hallways, loud parties in other rooms until 1am (Wednesday night), room had a moldy nasty smell, no clock in room, no shampoo in bathroom.. Yuck...

Flee bites from the carpet, I guess. No free Wi-Fi​, only one machine for this place? Never again, I hope

It's next to a Denny's, that's all

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like that when I got there the price that I was quoted from booking was not the price they gave me when I got there did not like that at all

Close to the highway

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

I know it's a motel, but there was a lots of weird people and one day there was cops arresting someone over there. There is no breakfast.

Very well located, walking distance from very good restaurants. The rooms have TV and they have a pretty big size. The price was good comparing to others hotels around the city. The staff was trying to help us when we needed to change the rooms.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

There were some questionable characters hanging out by the parking lot, and one point I witnessed at least 3 people getting arrested at the parking lot.

The location was excellent, walking distance from various restaurants and fast food spots, and minutes from the mall

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

tub had grime all over it. The floor was never vacuumed thermostat had no cover so wires where hanging out. And the manager doesn't want to make it right

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Everything - the dirt, the peeling wallpaper in my room, the unfriendly security guard, the unfriendly staff, the stained bedsheets, the comforter with a giant hole in (looked like cigarette burn), the smell of old cigarettes in our non smoking room, the floor that had not seen a hoover for a while, so bad we would not walk anywhere without the protection of shoes including the tiled bathroom floor that had not likely seen a mop in a while.

There was nothing to like about this stay

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

room had musty smell like carpeting had been shampooed but not dried and omg no hotel has full size beds yet no breakfast even breads? or fruit?

staff was nice and for a last minute booking price was good on fixed income

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The carpet in the room had a large spots of dried up cleaned up blood stains. That rug needs to be taken up and thrown out or destroyed and the floor underneath probably needs a good cleaning or replacement from that blood. In the pictures it advertised a hair dryer on the wall but someone ripped the hairdryer off-the-wall and all that was left was a metal plate. I planned on using that hair dryer otherwise I would've brought my own. The TV was like something my grandmother used to use it was ancient.

The price

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

They have a new policy that ask adults staying in the room must have id scanned at check in, no mention of this st time of booking and we arrived in middle of terrible storm. I had to go back out in the rain to get my husband to bring in his id.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

My room was located near the rear of the building. I had to walk the length of the building from the front desk because the entrance/exit doors were for emergency exit only. Not usually a problem for most people but I have COPD and the walk was difficult for my breathing. The building had 6 other entrances (3 each side) and should have been available for guests to park close to their rooms and enter building.

I always have trouble sleeping on a strange bed such as: too hard, too soft, not enough blankets, too many blankets, pillows too soft, etc. But not a problem here! Slept like a baby! Tatiana was pleasant, professional and my check in was handled quickly. The location is showing its age but my room was very clean. I'm a stickler when it comes to WiFi since my job requires a daily report but no problems here! Great connection and report done in record time! Will stay again next time I'm in Madison.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Had to walk entire length of property to get to room, could not enter Amy for except front, apparently she too security problems. Room was clean, but very poorly maintained.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The place is very old and need immediate renovation! In the non-smoking room we could smell smoke. Room was very poor and the facilities were worse. Staff was not friendly. I was in deep shock that booking.com is selling that kind of rooms, from that time I will search the acomodation by mine own.

TV limted to few channels w/o remote and no iron in the room and the room was smelling like a smoker room for a non smoker no Continental breakfast.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Main Problem: The air conditioner was not working. Called front desk to have someone come look at it. She said the maintenance person would be up to take a look at it. 30 minutes went by and no one came. Front desk called room and stated that maintenance person was on his way up. Another 30 minutes went by and no maintenance person. Called front desk back and she said maintenance person went to Home Depot for something and would be back soon. More time went by no maintenance person came. My kids were complaining it was hot and they had a hard time falling asleep. Had to open the window, there was no screen so the window only opened a certain amount. Finally the maintenance man came about 2 hours later from initial phone call. He came in. Looked at the ac unit. Said it was new but there was nothing they could do about turning it on because something was wrong with it.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

the room did not very clean and have no shampoo, microwave. It was difficult for me to use of my food. The blanket was not clean and smell bad. The price was different than, when I was booking on line. I don't understand why was different from that. Total book on line $41 some on booking line. when I get there was cost me more of $45 some. That it was terrible to me.

the room big ok.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

1.Heat was stuck on high, way too hot. 2.electronic keys did not work in outside doors. 3.bathrrom light buzzed loudly when operated. 4.sliding windows locks did not work, making me feel insecure. 5.the parking lot was icy and hazardous to walk. 5.the non smoking room smelled like marijuana. 6.the bath towels were undersized and threadbare. 7.the bookings .com contracted price, which I had a reservation confirmation price of $164.83 was changed to $180+change and was told its my problem to solve with bookings.com

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Found french fries in the room. Reserved 2 full beds but received just one. Lots of people coming and going all night like prostitutes working there.

VA discount was provided unexpectedly. Convenient to major highways.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It's old and struggling to maintain a dependable workforce. Valve on bathtub/ shower malfunctioning, would not turn all the way off.

Motel 6 had an interior hallway and entryway compared to others that have exterior.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Inexpensive room I got last-minute for a stay in town. The room was clean and comfortable, I got my ticket easily, and I had no problems or real reasons to complain.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

loud and obnoxious people staying there, banging on doors, yelling, slamming doors..... it kept me up all day while I tried to sleep. I did not feel safe.

Less expensive

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The housekeeping staff was incredibly rude in the morning. Sounded like they were shouting in the hallways a good 3 hours before posted checkout time. When walking in the hallway they left carts and actually stood in your way when trying to get through. It's like they intentionally wanted to wake everyone up. Would never stay at this property again. Even if it was the only hotel available I would just stay in my car. The room smelled and they still had box tvs. Take this from me and DO NOT STAY HERE!!

This was the worst hotel stay I've encounterd using booking.com.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They gave me the key to room 128 and it was dirty. I go back to the desk they give me the key for room 132 it is occupied. I go back to the desk they give me the key for room 232 it is dirty as if it were in the midst of being condemned. Finally on the 5th attempt room 234 had a leaky faucet used Dirty Soap inside of the dirty bathroom the window would not close all the way the comforter and sheet were dirty/stained and it smelled as though someone homeless had recently occupied the space. Asked for the management information as well as the staff information and was given a complete runaround. They can only hope that I was exaggerating however I probably would have left out some detail if that were the case...

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Carpet could have been cleaner. There was a musty smell from possibly the ac draining into the wall as I did not see any water outside as I saw from other units. I started to take it out of its sleeve and clean it. Some of the furniture was broken or cracked.

Price wasn't bad. People were generally nice and cooperative.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

The comforter was too thin and the room looked really outdated and dusty. Can't enter through the side doors, only exit.

The bed was very conformable and the room temperature was great! The hotel was also located at a very convenient place, next to the east towne mall as well as restaurants and business areas.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Lots of vagrants, panhandlers and drug dealers in the area. Attracts low rent type

Best price in Madison, WI Can't find a cheaper motel in the area.

The carpeting was not clean. Dirty looking and feeling. We kept our socks on. Cloth covered chairs looked so dirty we sat on towels. Wall paper was peeling. Lamps looked like they had been banged around. Lots of scary looking people hanging around including homeless looking people sitting out front with all their belonging in garbage bags and gang looking people going in and out side doors. We did not feel safe or comfortable there.

The pillows were like new. The linens and towels were like new.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel room was disgusting. The comforters were stained, the chair to sit in was stained and there were cigarette burns on each comforter as well. There was also not even a clock in the room. There were pedestrians wondering around late in to the evening at one person a homeless person lerking in the parking lot. I did not feel same nor clean. Also, the note by the nightstand said the bed would be made daily, when we arrived back at the hotel neither bed was made, the garbage can was emptied out and that's it. When we walked in to our room on the second day there was a strong scent that I am not sure what was from but as soon as I got home I had to wash all of my clothes as the smell stayed with them. There is only one other time I stayed in a worse establishment and by the following year it was torn down.

The location was around many restaurants

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There was roaches inside of my room when I went into the restroom. The room smelled like there had been cooking done inside of it. The carpet as well as the furniture was very dirty and had multiple stains on it.

There was one staff member who I enjoyed a lot, a lovely lady by the name of Tae

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The bed and the bathroom was not clean.don't have elevators so i have to get my laggage in the second floor by my self which i had 3 large heavy bags.

The staff were helpful

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Slow check in. It was busy at 9:00 p.m. and only one clerk was working. We reserved a queen bed through this online service. We were told by the reception clerk at check-in that she could give us a queen for an additional price. We paid it. When we got into our room, it was a double. No other queens were available when we went back to the clerk and waited in line again. The manager came into the room right away and said he'd make adjustments. He was considerate and said all beds are the same price. We'll feel better when the adjustment is made to our credit card. We checked in about 9:00 p.m. Several people were lounging around the entrance and appeared a little questionable.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The A/C unit in my room was not functioning properly, and made the room itself a little stuff and uncomfortable.

Upon checking out, I enjoyed my conversation with Lolita, a friendly staff member who saw that I had my road bike with me and recommended a bike-friendly event in the area that she thought I would be interested in.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

We arrived at 9pm. Were told that since we didn't get there between 3&6, our card was charged and our room was cancelled. We had to book a new room, and were charged for both!

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Air conditioner was pathetic. Room was stuffy and had an offensive odor. I felt itchy although only stayed one night and found a little bug on the sink. I feared bringing home bed bugs as two mattresses were in the garbage bin. I considered sleeping in my car. I dint have high standards but this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at.

Desk clerks at both check in and check out were very courteous.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

I do not mind chipped wooden cabinet corners, or light bulbs out here and there. However, corporate really needs to help this location get some new carpeting, plumbing work, and just plain updates to this 1973 last remodeled (according to the info on the back of the door) location! I was afraid to take my socks off! Stains all over the carpet and bad pet smells. Thank goodness the AC helped out with the smell. Now perhaps, pets should only be allowed in some rooms and not others. With 1 out of 5 people with allergies these days. I recommend that. In the bathroom, I believe water was leaking from under the tub. The picture was of the next morning when we showered the night before. I used a towel to soak up this water before. It just appeared again and got my socks wet a few times. I hate wet socks. While showering or at the sink, the water does not like to go down, then all of the sudden, it goes. Then it pools up again. This was like something I saw on 20/20 once. Please see my attached pictures. I hope corporate either helps this place out! Or refund this owners investment with a bonus severance package for him and the staff for the stress because it almost seems like corporate wants this location to fail. That is a shame, because Madison needs more cheap options!

The staff was helpful, even before I asked any questions. When I made a complaint, they were quick to resolve what they could. I appreciated that! This room had a pretty comfortable bed! (I am picky about my beds!) TV and ac that worked. Nothing fancy or new needed for this biking trip. It just needed to be clean. You can tell that they tried and for the most part things were clean. I liked the fact that they didn't have a pool. I do not wish to deal with screaming kids all the time at the pool places. It was very quiet inside the room. Location was fine. I felt safe. I have stayed at plenty of Motel 6 in my day on trips and this was one was off the mark by far. Please see what I don't like.

perfect for the price

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Screen was ripped out Carpet dirty

Bed was ok room was clean

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

peeeling panit on cieling, black grout on tiles of tiny bathroom floor

only location

Every thing

Nothing, could not wait to leave

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Smell

Homey

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

lights were burnt out and bed and pillows weren't the greatest.neighborhood wasn't the best either

staff was friendly and efficent

Dirty

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The t.v. could have been better and microwave in the room would be nice

Chair in my room was filthy. Room was noisy. Socks were actually black when I walked on carpet

Close to mini mall

Everything!

Upon arrival I was informed my room had been sold and I wouldn't receive a refund.

The Wallpaper was peeling

It was cozy and I felt safe.

Browse Motel 6 Madison East traveller photo gallery