Reviews of Vagabond Inn Bakersfield South 2 stars

6501 Colony Street, Bakersfield, CA 93307, USA

#40 of 54 hotels in Bakersfield

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Rather noisy area, plenty of cars’ alarms going off during he night, close to a petrol station. Didn’t seem like the best area in town but for one night it was convenient for us!!

Big comfortable bed, buffet breakfast was quite good and staff were friendly

Trash outside parking lot. Looked unkept for awhile. Inside was dirty looking. Beds were ok. Bath tub needs serious cleaning or redone. A lot of street noise also people very loud after hours Then YOU charged our credit card two days after we cancelled our property. You state you don’t charge credit cards only hold... You did two days after we cancelled!! It wasn’t booking.com it was You!

• Deluxe Two Queen Non-Smoking

Not well maintained, room was smelly, wifi wasn't free as advertised, bathroom wasn't cleaned well, Towels were dirty, breakfast was really bad

• Standard Queen Handicapped Non-Smoking

Lots of noise from outside building all night. Ice machines still broken 2 weeks since last visit. Bed was so-so.

Breakfast was really spot on. Very good. Price was reasonable. Room had fridge and microwave. Room was clean.

• Deluxe Queen Non-Smoking

Well when I complained repeatedly about noise above my room. I feel like I was blown off on more than 1 occasion. When da security dud go speak to the residents above they always say the people are sleeping or they said it not them. Like I'm just crazy or something. So I told the security come in my room and hear for yourself . His response was I have no reason to come to your room. Well I feel if UT will help to clear up a situation then you should take the necessary step to resolve that situation and keep all your clients happy because none of us is staying here for free. My suggestion is don't put families with or without children above other customers. Less issues to deal with. I can tell you this. I will never stay here again or recommend this place to anyone because of the way some if the staff treated me or went about so call helping me with my issues that came up.

The place was kept clean and the cleaning crew were very nice and respectful. As well as a couple of the front desk people, but the others need more customer relations training. They need to learn to treat all customers the same. Especially when there's a complain't at 1,2 or 3 o'clock in the morning. No 1 will just wake up out of their sleep and call the front desk to complain for no reason at all if there wasn't a problem or issue.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Our room was heavily deodorized with something that left a very unpleasant smell with an underlying odour. The area around the pool was lovely but it was the area was used by smokers making it hard to sit out there.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Things was falling apart crack in the door wasn't dark enough

It was quite good inviroment comfortable safe place closer to restaurants in gas stations was around everything you needed Denny's, Walmart,

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Total disaster. We got a different room type, than we had booked (with two smaller beds instead of one large bed). Beds are claimed to be queen size, but are actually only full size, in pictures of rooms there are different beds shown than rhe beds you actually get. There were only towels for one person in a room that was booked for two. The breakfast was downright horrible! No bread or pastry, just some dubious waffle maker with a long line of people and the OJ was undrinkable. Ended up throwing all in the bin and had breakfast elsewhere. Waste of money. Also, the breakfast ends at 9AM already! Total crap this place, not worth a penny

Nothing positive to be found.

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

Small room, old, no coffee maker, for breakfast only waffles and uneatable oatmeal, dirty and small pool squeezed between buildings and open only until 9 pm. This is motel targeted at truck drivers, definitely not for tourists.

• Standard Queen Smoking

The sheets were stained the two queen beds in room 239 one of the beds is completely sunk in there is a big hole in the mattress my friend that helped me unload my luggage was so disgusted with the bedding there is no chairs not one in that room the house keepers scared me to death when she pounded my door at 9:35 am saying housekeeping I'm checking out why is housekeeping pounding on my door it was numerous other things none of your vending machines have a do not use or out of order sign on them but took my money not one vending machine is working your security guard is a weirdo and had his ear to somebody's door for at least 15 mins it was just horrible

• Deluxe Queen Non-Smoking

Internet SUCKS... Clerk gave me number to call Tech support. Wasted 2 hours and walking around the facility trying to troubleshoot the problem that was never fixed... Lousy reception to my room.

Plenty of walking space for my service dog.

I was given a smoking room when I checked in at 9:30 pm which was also the only room available. The staff at the front desk insisted that his computer showed that I asked for a smoking room when I booked although my reservation confirmation clearly stated that I have a non-smoking room. He then suggested me to enter the room to check for it’s smell of which my wife and myself found unable to tolerate. Finally we need to book for a room at another hotel for the night and pay extra money because of the last minute booking. Can you explain to me how could it happen? Something wrong with your booking system or the staff lied to me.

The price is good

• Standard Queen Handicapped Non-Smoking

I had bugs bed in my room and had to move from a non smoking room to a smoking room. The smell was horrible in this new room.

I really enjoy the bed. It was nice and fluffy. I like where it is located too, close to all the stores.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

When we came down for breakfast there was not much left to chose from. Luckily, we had some food in our room. That was disappointing. Also close proximity to road made it difficult to relax and sleep.

The room was spacious, comfortable and nice.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

You can't sleep because It's so close to the road and you can hear every single car passing :( we even couldn't close the window because it was broken

• Standard Queen Smoking

Accidently booked a smoking room. Awful smell and weird other guests around.

Location was good, near the highway. Stayed there on the way to LA. Breakfast had waffles :)

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

The bkfst was messy due to previously users, eggs insufficient as customers served themselves more than the normal as per pancakes messy. The bed mattress springily & wobbly no comfort sleep.

The area it was centralized to everything nearby the motel

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Noise all night long, we could not sleep. There alwere people (in the room beside us, in the corridors, in the front of the hotel lobby) laughing, yelling, speaking loud until 5:00am!!!!

Clean and renovated room. Pleasant staff.

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

Motel just for truck drivers. All other avoid! Doors with a gap that make a room almost no diference to being outside. Sheets not replaced, asked for new one...

• Standard Queen Smoking

The bed was like sleeping on a very hard table. The wi-fi did not work AT ALL! The maid service came in the afternoon when we were returning to the room. The breakfast eggs were the powdered eggs, very gross. The towels were rough & small.

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

It was great, nice room, good price, kind staff.

It was the cheapest accommodation during my trip in USA, but it was one of the best. A correct hotel, kind staff, it is pity that we stayed here only a few hours. Next time if I travel in USA, I will choose Vagabond Inns again.

• Standard Queen Smoking

Air didn’t work. They were in the switch rooms and then they send someone to fix it. It barely worked none of the functions worked, They kept showing off and turn back on. So first thing when you when you get a room check your

Good location. Panda Express plus lots more real close.

• Standard Queen Smoking

Leaving the day of found Roaches on check out not good and the room was very slightly dirty no coffee pot and the bathroom was unclean

Close to my destination

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Bed was extremely hard, not comfortable.

Breakfast okay but items were limited. Driving a 26' U-Haul truck towing auto transport. Parking area easy to maneuver big rig. Night and morning staff very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe King Non-Smoking

On our way from San Fran to LA. Perfect little place, secure, friendly, immaculate. Wonderful lady on front desk and delicious cookies at check in desk. Would highly recommend if like us you just need somewhere safe and clean to sleep. Breakfast is great too. Amazing value for money!

• Standard Queen Smoking

Bed needed more pillows more towels and I thing breakfast should be optional to be served at room or for customers want to go get there own

Staff was friendly was friendly and polite parking lot rate front room

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

Someone knocked on our door early in the morning and it was not room service. The wifi keept messing up too.

I was able to grab something to eat nearby without a vehicle.

• Deluxe Two Queen Non-Smoking

Filthy, hair everywhere, glass around the pool. Poor neighborhood. The breakfast was nearly gone when we got thwre at 7am. Lots of shady people hanging around. Pool was freezing.

The staff was very friendly.

• Deluxe Two Queen Non-Smoking

This is one of the worst places I've ever stayed and there is a lot of things I didn't like. First off they gave me the wrong size bed in my room. Because of the hotel giving me the wrong beds, I ended up having to rent another room because the four of us couldn't fit comfortably on the bed which cost me extra money I didn't want to spend. what was even more upsetting is the second room rented had the beds I was supposed to have in the first room. I included a pic to prove the beds was clearly different sizes. I wish this was the end of my troubles but there's more. besides getting the wrong beds the beds we did have were very uncomfortable and made it nearly impossible to get any rest. Also, the bathroom was disgusting I woke in the middle of the night to find roaches climbing all over the walls. Finally, I wasn't so happy that the room didn't include a microwave like it was advertised to have.

• Deluxe Queen Smoking

That we where on the bottom floor and the guest up stairs a little loud. And I think that breakfast should be optional to be taken to your room or the the guest to choose to go get it themselves and also have a choice of what they would like to eat

Fast friendly and most of all because of security 24/7 there breakfast is enjoying

• Standard Queen Handicapped Non-Smoking

Bring your earplugs! The walls are paper thin. We had a room on the bottom floor - when the upper floor people walked, the floors creaked. Toilets and showers - we heard them all. When people came in next door we could hear them having sex and then the guy hollered at her and she cried. It was horrible. I was ready to call the office when most of the noise stopped around 11:30pm. We were in room 120 and could not get any internet whatsoever. Again not reported because we were so tired we just tried to sleep. The breakfast ran from 2am to 9 am - we went to look at it - biscuits and gravy, coffee, waffles - adequate but there is a Denny's right across the parking lot and we went there. We will definitely not be back.

It was close to freeway.

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

MY 11YR OLD WAS AFRAID TO SLEEP THERE AND NOTICED THAT THE FLOORS WERE WORN AND NOT VERY CLEAN, MY 5 YEAR OLD AND ME HAD 2 ITCHY BUMPS ON 1 LEG EACH. WE CAME HOME AND WASHED EVERYTHING WE HAD IN THAT ROOM. HARD TO SLEEP WHEN THERE WERE PEOPLE BEING LOUD IN THE MORNING HOURS WAKING UP AND DOWN THE STEPS

FRONT DESK CLERK WAS VERY NICE

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Although we requested a first floor room it wasn't available. We waited for one to be cleaned (after 5PM), but it wasn't really non-smoking. Finally got a room. Breakfast was limited.

It was an inexpensive stay for the last night of our vacation, en route home. Don' expect too much. We liked the Starbucks across the street.

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

The breakfast was rather poor, with no donuts or sweet rolls, only lots of biscuits. There was also no fresh fruit and the orange juice wasn't juice, only orange drink. I didn't even bother with breakfast my second (last) morning.

It was handy to the freeway and a couple of good fast-food restaurants, as well as a Walmart.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

That the security was very friendly with everybody and making friends being noisey at two in the morning involved with my ex who's had me raped before while date raped and of course he has the keys and the one too gD a couple minor issues but besides that I loved the hotel it's perfect security at night made me very uncomfirtable

The breakfast and clerk good and sweet as can be the rooms are nice just I feel like a better woman with being treated like one thank god

• Deluxe Two Queen Non-Smoking

Late check out was only an hour later.

Pleasantly surprised. I didn't have high expectations since it was Bakersfield but it was a very nice room and we loved the continental breakfast.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Scary location. Did not feel safe in the day or night. Homeless and scetchy people all around the Motel.

Friendly staff, free WiFi, free parking. Breakfast is minimal but free

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

We chose a room on the bottom floor and the people above us were very noisy. But there isn't much you can do about it.

It was very easy to get on and off the freeway.

• Deluxe Two Queen Non-Smoking

The sink was always clogging , needed more hangers. Just had two and no dresser to put clothing away. Sensor light was turning on every move we did in the hotel at night time.

That they had breakfast and not just coffee and donuts only.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Everything else. It was just a very bad experience staying there. I wouldn't stay again or recommend anyone stay there either

I didn't really like anything. The staff was ok but that was the best thing and they were only ok

• Standard Queen Handicapped Non-Smoking

No sound barrier from above or beside. Could hear shower, toilet flush chairs moved etc.. Breakfast leaves a lot to be desired/Cold cereal, biscuits and gravy, waffles are the choices.

For a one night rest, OK, but wouldn't call it a destination stop

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Parking was incredibly limited. I couldn’t sleep well because I could hear people talking in the next room All Night long.

Staff was very friendly and pleasant, room was very clean and comfortable. Great 24hr taco truck Right Next Door :)

• Standard Two Queen Smoking

I got there the room had not been cleaned I called office and waited 20min outside so they can clean room after a 8 hour drive there was no pillows sheets or blankets I will never go back

• Standard Queen Smoking

Noisy plumbing, traffic and guests, parking not very close, breakfast limited, shampoo packet they provide impossible to open with wet fingers

Comfortable, clean, Wifi adequate without paying for premium service, breakfast starting at 2 AM, convenient electrical outlet next to bed table, lots of pillows, cash accepted for payment

The bug issue

That they accommodated me very prompt and gave me adiffrent room right after I showed them the bugs in bed and quick compt my night due to the bug bed issues and no charge.

• Deluxe Two Queen Non-Smoking

Very uncomfortable beds Worn and dirty sheets They need to establish a curfew Very noisy and freeway noise Offensive odor especially that we requested a non smoking room

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

It was very close to the freeway, so it was pretty loud. I got the room next to some guys who decided to talk in front of my doors, pretty bad isolation, hearing showers and everything around

Friendly personnel Breakfast with fresh pancakes, rolls with hot cheese and oregano, coffee, juice

• Deluxe Two Queen Non-Smoking

Deluxe Queen beds must have shrunk. Very uncomfortable-could feel lumps in mattress Springs maybe? We had 2 hand towels in the room total. No bath towels at all. Not enough outlets to recharge phones/devices, had to unplug the fridge.

convenient location for stopping to rest and move on on we stayed less than 8 hours in the room. Price was low but I specter a little better.

• Standard Queen Smoking

Norhing to complain about, except I could've had a wild sexual encounter with an insatiable stranger.

The courteous and attentive staff, shower water was hot immediately, heater/ac unit worked efficiently, privacy while I browsed porno videos and masturbated ferociously for hours.

• Deluxe Queen Smoking

Smelly room ( tobacco) , horrible noisy old bed. Will not request a smoking room next time . I suggest you bring a plug in room deodorizer to freshen up room !!

Close to where we would be visiting.

Towels had old spots.

The room was very clean and everything worked well. I liked the design of the room. Breakfast was good: waffles, tea, coffee, crisps, milk, juice. Wifi worked well. We didn't use much because we stayed for 1 night only. Actually it is a very good option in Bakersfield for this price.

• Standard Queen Smoking

It's in good area close to what u need as in walking distance if have too makes more convenient as well as eating places different varieties and close to highway as well shopping

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Like it. Was surprised they have a mini fridge and microwave and don't demand a deposit like all these other hotels do! Clean rooms, clean restrooms, breakfast was at a off time from 2-9 am but still no complaints, over all enjoyable!!

Nice. Very comfortable.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Everything was bad, lights where not working. Remote control only had one battery. Pillow case was dirty. Breakfast was awful, fly flying around breakfast area. Over all not good.

Nothing, only price

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Good place to stay between travel to Sequoia/Kings Canyon Park and Death Valley. Standard choice for breakfast - corn flakes, waffles etc. Some larger shops nearby like Walmart. Nothing to do besides that

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

It was soo loud at night,the walls was very thin I could hear ppl from outside and their smoke from smoking kept coming in our room. Place was so dirty and it looked like it was a trailer stop, oil stains everywhere. It just grossed me out I couldn't sleep at night. Only reason I stayed was because we checked in so late and I was soo tired had to rest for an early game the next morning. We even paid 100$ for this room.... Never again.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

We liked the place a loot due to cleanness, location, staff. As we were on the road trip we were happy to find the laundry room so we could wash out clothes There are many fast food restaurants around, grocery store, liqueur store etc. Perfect for roadtripers

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

Basically this inn is made for truck drivers. So there are a lot of them staying, and driving through. It is really nosy and the facilities are outdated. The breakfast was terrible.

Beds, environment, breakfast

The staff was nice. The room seemed clean. The beds were very small and uncomfortable. I could hear everything going on outside, including several very loud guests yelling across the premises in Spanish for hours. I was afraid to go to sleep and would have left if my $ was refundable. I was also afraid someone would break into the car. The orange juice was sunny delight. The biscuts and gravy werr okay but no fruit or protein whatsoever offered. I will not stay here again.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

The bed linen was dirty and the pillows had yellow stains and the pool was dirty I saw a lil roach on the floor and never enough towels.And the hotel door was messed up

The afternoon clerk was nice

• Standard Queen Handicapped Non-Smoking

Everything,urine on toilet upon check in no stopper in all hotel for a bathtub so you may bath.

Crime ridden security works all day and night to keep rif raf from stealing travelers belongings from their cars. Nothing here to like

• Standard Two Queen Non-Smoking

The room we got first was FULL of very hungry bedbugs. In 10 minutes we got over 10 bites. Had to move to another room. There are a lot of burn marks everywhere. Everything is old and tarnished. Towels had holes and burn marks.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

The breakfast quality was quite poor. There was enough to eat however.

Very convenient for a stop between LA and Sequoia National Park. Grocery store and restaurants nearby.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

We were staying just overnight after long driving but it was very comfortable and cheap. Right opposite the motel you can find secerak different fast food restaurants and big Walmart if you need to buy something from there.

• Deluxe Two Queen Non-Smoking

Furniture and rooms in general look tired. Advertised laundry facilities insufficient for the size of hotel and half the machines were out of order.

Not much

• Standard Queen Smoking

ADA parking should be available for use by persons with disabilities, not used for guest check-in parking. Security should enforce ADA parking, not ignore ADA parking violations.

Location was quiet. Friendly staff. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom facilities were easy to use by a person with disabilities.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

My room hadn't been cleaned properly. Previous guests clothes were in bathroom. My sheets were dirty or hadn't been changed. I had to change sheets myself! The late night clerk told me that she would have security come check my room but I had to contact them myself because she never let them know.I felt that my complaint wasn't taken seriously, and I was never even offered any kind of compensation to make up for it. Very dissapointed.

Easy check in. Good location. Close to food and shopping.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

Room was filthy. The two chairs in the room were filthy. I had to clean the toilet seat before using it. The bed sheets were soiled and had hair in them.

Inexpensive

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

The AC sounded like a hurricane, there were very obvious large white stains on the chairs, the table surface was sticky and gross, someone else's very visible dirty socks under the tv cupboard (which has seen better days as well), the towels looked like they had been used at a crime scene, the toilet made noise the entire night and the wi-fi only worked when placing our laptops almost against the window. Even though we just stayed there for one night on our way to Sequoia and King's Canyon National Parks, we spent as much time as possible in the local In-N-Out Burger and Aldi just to not have to be in our room. I know it's cheap and you can't expect much, but next time we'll ask if we can sleep on the In-N-Out floor.

It was quite cheap and there is an In-N-Out Burger nearby. Also close to gas stations, an Aldi, a Walmart and the freeway.

• Standard Queen Smoking

I actually threw away a peach pit on the windowsill. Had to clean the sink, counter, light fixtures, ac unit hell I CLEANED THE AC UNITS FILTERS which looked as if no one ever had and on top of all those disgusting things that you'd figure their hired housekeepers would maintain cleanliness of, THERE WAS POOP ON THE TOILET!!! THE PLACE WAS HORRIBLY FILTHY!! I would have asked for a different room and comp for it at that time but for less than $50 a night I figured it's the whole "you get what you pay for". Housekeeping 4 days a week, every other day. Still not worth price but when you're poor and homeless looking for a job, again you get what you get..

I liked keeping my 120lb large pitbull with us. Close parking. Lowes, walmart, gamestop, panda express, in-n-out, jack in the box, denny's gas and more within walking across street distance.

• Standard Queen Smoking

Everything. During our road trip across Nevada and California,Bakersfield was one of the best motels near the highway with walking distance to diners, gas stations, taco wagons etc. and the room was clean,had everything we needed and very helpful staff. Parking right outside our door. Would stay longer if we could

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

After a quick Google search we found out that the neighborhood is not quite the best. A lot of shady business throughout the night. We could not relax at this place and wanted to leave quickly in the morning. Also a lot of hairs in the bed and water was off from 10PM till we woke up.

The waffle maker was nice

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

I was given what they listed as and called a "Non-smoking" room. The room stunk of cigarette smoke. I complained. A staff member came and sprayed the room. Next morning it stunk again. This was a smoking room that was sold as a non-smoking room, and they falsely informed both Booking.com and me.

Price was cheap. But so was the quality

• Standard Queen Smoking

When I was checking in I was told my reservation had been cancelled,but o was unaware of this. I had to go outside and make a new reservation through your website. I felt this was a great in inconvenience. Also the rate increased by 20 dollars.

The room was clean. The breakfast was great. Located by a lot of restaurants for a good variety.

• Standard Queen Non-Smoking

The room I stayed in was filthy. It was literally falling apart. The bathroom had mold on the tub, and on the ceiling. The smell of the bathroom was overwhelming. There were stains all over the sitting chairs.

Browse Vagabond Inn Bakersfield South traveller photo gallery