Reviews of Vagabond Inn Bishop 3 stars

1030 North Main Street, Bishop, CA 93514, USA

#3 of 21 hotels in Bishop

Reserved 2 queen beds, but only 1 king bed room was available at check-in. Not a problem, but I paid a higher price for the 2 queen beds.

Great location, lovely town.

The only problem was that we did not get to wifi and internet. We are from Europe, so internet on hotels is very important to arrange next days plans. First day hotel told us, that wifi is full as the hotel is full. Next days they said the wifi is down.

It is very nice rooms, clean, comfortable, nice design.

Not significant: Breakfast was minimal. Ice from the old machine was not for free.

Cozy territory. Room facilities. Comfy bed. Clean. Washing machine. Pool was OK.

The front desk programmed a key for another patron and he walked in our room while we were in bed! Staff was not very accommodating to my wife--she did not sleep a wink after.

Very loud air conditioning. It was working but something was wrong with it. Slow WiFi, but works.

The place was really Nice and friendly. Clean and spacious. Hotel lobby was spacious too, with popcorn! Nice breakfast, clean pool and area. Friendly neighborhood with a lot of restaurants, perfect location, for good money.

I wanted to be more in the center of town

Despite making left-hand turns all the time to get to town it wasn't really that hard the rose bushes were really pretty the swimming pool was very clean and I always had a place to park my car the people there we're very nice I liked Denny's restaurant being right next door and the 10% discount for staying in the vagabond Motel excuse me in

Not a complaint just a comment. Breakfast is very minimal. Don’t expect much. However it is included in rate and for many it is enough to get the day started. Also the hotel gives a 10% discount for the Denny’s right next door for those who want a bigger breakfast.

I’ve stayed here every time I’ve visited Bishop. Great location near central Bishop and some good restaurants. Friendly staff. Nicely decorated room. Excellent flatscreen TV including at least one premium channel. Good sound proofing. Plenty of hot water. Nice pool.

Check in was quick and friendly. The room was very clean and comfortable. I only had a one night stay but will choose this motel again when I return to Bishop.

Bed was ok but not great. Accessing the second floor by stairs was difficult with my bad leg. Be sure to specify ahead of time if you need a first floor room.

Clean, quiet and comfortable. Great area designated for dogs

To clarify right at the start: I did, in the end, not stay at Vagabond Inn. Reason for that is that I had a motorbike accident on the day I was supposed to stay there. Even though I had booked a non-refundable rate (there was no other option), I asked the hotel to make an exception and refund the cost due to the fact of my motorbike accident that just didn't allow me to come to Bishop. I want to emphasize that I would have understood if they had declined my request due to the non-refundable rate I had booked. It's a matter of *how* they declined it, which was just a role model for harsh communication and poor customer service. Right after my motorbike accident, I used a functionality within my Booking.com account to ask for a refund exception. Booking.com confirmed my request and told me that they had forwarded it to the hotel, and that the people there would get back to me within 48 hours. After nothing had happened within that period of time, I emailed Vagabond Inn (via a Booking.com email address which routes messages to them) and described my situation once again. Nothing happened. Another 3 days later, I called them and asked about the status. The woman on the phone told me that they would look into it and get back to me then. Again, nothing happened. Today (another 2 days later), I called again. The woman on the phone (different person than before) told me that I had lost it because I'm too late (more than a week after my booking). I told her that I had desperately tried to reach them - via Booking.com, via email, via phone. The woman on the phone wouldn't let me explain, but interrupted me harshly and just hung up. Summary: it would have been fair to decline my request for a refund exception - but it's about the "how".

We were able to walk to the city park easily. The room was large and the blackout curtains perfect. Slept quite well in a comfy bed and a cool room. Overall a very nice place.

Every thing was fine.

This was an older property, but it was fixed up very nicely with a very comfortable sized room. The bed was very comfortable and the rooms were very clean. The staff was friendly. Great value for the price.

They gave us the wrong size room but that was booking.coms fault. When we got to the first (wrong) room I found dirty underwear and tissue behind the chair as I was calling the front desk. The front desk clerk found us the right room but we had to go thru booking.com. That clerk seemed to have no idea what to do. The pool area had loud obnoxious people from the area who apparently weren’t guests of the hotel. The bunk beds were very worn. I wouldn’t let my grandkids walk around barefoot.

It is an ok place to stay on way to mammoth.

Breakfast a bit of a joke! Most hotels that include breakfast at least have a waffle maker and eggs and sausage, but only waffle here was the kind you stick in a toaster!

Room, view, bed, location all good.

WiFi wasn’t working very well Fridge a bit loud Breakfast is basic (but then again a lot of motels offer the same thing)

Clean, big rooms Good beds Good customer service/ friendly Quite rooms despite being off the main road Good clientele

Poor breakfast selection: all carbs and no protein. Coffee not so good, either.

Very clean rooms; comfortable king bed; big-screen TV. Nice grassy area out back for the dog to romp.

Poor breakfast selection: all carbs and no protein. Coffee not so good, either.

Knocking pipes, paper thin walls and constant sprinkle watering of pet grass made it impossible to use without getting soaked. There was no plug for the bathtub so my wife called and the girl snapped back that none of them do and to just use a towel and stuff it in the drain. Classy.

needed more hot items for breakfast but still amazing will still choose this location

They had the room warmed when I got there and the cleaning crew on site was amazing could use a few more hot items for breakfast but amazing just the same

The first room they gave was used: pillows and sheets were misplaced and pulled back. Soap dish had an old soap in it. There was trash in the trash can. Used washcloth.

Paper thin walls, waited almost 2 hours to get into room while they cleaned it. No water In the pool. Expensive for what you get

Good location. Easy to find. Comfortable bed Very friendly at checkin.

The view was horrible. We got a room at the bottom end, under the stairs, next to the dumpster. The two nights we stayed there all we could here was the upstairs visitors walking back and forth with their squeaky floors and the second night there was a fight between adults upstairs, we had to take cover in case they had weapons. We couldn't sleep the rest of the night and our child was crying and afraid. We asked if we could be transferred to another room and the answer was just a straight no. Bad experience.

The thermostat was difficult to know what temperature we were setting it to. We asked the staff, but they were not familiar with this new type of thermostat. Instead of a tempature setting it had settings of 9, 10, 11, 12, etc., so we could not tell if we were setting the tempature at 60 or 70. We just had to guess and hope for the best.

I did not use the WiFi during my stay. Overall, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean, nicely decorated, and the bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly; they even called our room shortly after we had settled in to check that everything was ok. That was a very nice touch that we have never experienced at other hotels.

The gal at the front desk Was apprehensive about Towels and an extra blanket she seemed like we were putting her out after asking for these small amenities.

The Spa was a nice benefit after sking all day. The complementary breakfast was good.

The grounds were a little rough with many spots looking unlandscaped/neglected. Bishop is a mountain town that gets snow, so maybe things will improve once spring arrives. The towels were pretty utilitarian and could not be described as plush. The heating/cooling unit was a bit of a challenge to find. It was tucked up overhead in a corner in the sink area. It was a bit of a reach and a shorter person would have had to use a chair to get to the controls.

The room was comfortable as was the bed with lots of pillows. The reception staff was pleasant upon checking in. She was helpful in recommending places to eat. Breakfast was offered in the morning and also a discount coupon for neighboring Denny's. I can't offer a comment as I didn't eat at either.

Twice I went to the lobby and no one was available to help me. One time my keys did not work. When I went to check out I had to wait more than 10 minutes for someone to help me because the guy was on the phone. Not once did he say I will be right with you.

location was great!!

Parking is tight and you have to get there early to get a parking place.

We have stayed at the Vagabond - Bishop, CA several times and the rooms are always clean and the staff friendly.

The property itself looks run down no plants no flowers only dirt is in disrepair pool or jacuzzi was not working....

I like the fact that we checked in we ask for the quietest spot in the place and we were placed way in the back where we didn't hear sound..

I like to see hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Parking was full.

Easy check in. Beautifully remodeled, easy in and out- higheay access, close to parks and restaurants

Nothing it met all of my expectations for the price I paid. Highly recommended

Clean,quiet although it was very busy ,comfortable bed,good shower,great for pets, dog area at the rear. Very friendly staff with warm welcoming smiles, Breakfast was as expected, Coffee was excellent.

Our room key cards wouldn't work on many attempts and the door latch had to be lifted and slammed to close door--I felt bad for surrounding guests when I left very early in the morning for second leg of trip as I slammed the door. Sorry, everyone.

People are friendly and readily available all hours.

Very limited space and food for breakfast. It's ok but feels crammed. Still a pricey place considering the location.

Rooms were upgraded and were clean. Very friendly staff. The heater surprisingly worked quite and very well for these cows of hotels.

room view on parking lot and trailer park next door. strongest smell of cleaning products (lysol?) gave me a bad headache. Smoke detector light flashing every 5 seconds directly above my bed in need of battery change also interfered with my sleep.

Friendly staff, clean room, recently refurbished, nice bed, all mid comfort

The room was a bit small for the king sized bed, two people and two dogs with crates. Also, the room initially had a very strong odor of what smelled like carpet fresh. The breakfast consisted only of bread, bagels, french toast, waffles and cereal. There was no protein.

The hotel room was nicely appointed with a fridge and microwave, adequate lighting, a king sized bed, coffee maker and flat screen TV. The room was very clean. The staff was very nice. There was a large grassy yard where our dogs could do their business. The price was right.

The breakfast... The food selection is very-very-very limited. In sum, you have only flakes and toasts.

It looks like the hotel has been renovated recently. The rooms are well furnished. The TV and other techniques are modern. There is not noise from the road. There are a few good place to eat and some stores nearby. The receptionist was very friendly and welcomed.

Heating. The wall heater is a little loud. It was warm. Coffee maker didn't work

Parking right in front of our room. Clean and comfy. Right off the main road. We were in and out on the way to another destination.

We asked for two extra pillows twice and never received them. Also, the front desk clerk was fighting with her significant other and cussing at them. Trash cans were full and feral cats were digging in the trash.

The housekeeping staff are quite loud in the morning when beginning work. Someone needs to remind them that it’s a hotel they are cleaning not a football stadium. They are extremely sweet though and helpful should you require something.

The staff are friendly and the jacuzzi is awesome. Would be even better if the outdoor pool was heated. Awesome location to all the restaurants and stores in town.

Came back to hotel from LONG day and we were very tired. Our room keys did not work. Went to office and were told that they keys frequently have to be reprogrammed.

The continental breakfast had a wide variety of things to choose from, and I was thankful that it was available so early since my boyfriend and I had to get on the road early.

The room must have had pretty thin walls because we could hear the people above us the whole time, and could hear whenever someone flushed from the room next to ours or turned on water.

I mainly chose this place based off reviews and the fact that they were dog friendly. They put our room on the back side of the building (tons of parking) and a dog park right outside our room. This was so nice and helpful! They were so accommodating to pet owners.

The bed was comfortable enough but it's about time to replace the mattress.

Free drinks in the evening. Breakfast had eggs cooked to order as well as cottage cheese and yogurt plus fruit.

The green area in front of the rooms were nothing but dirt. I would recommend planning some plants, pavers or something to make it look more inviting.

The dirt from the parking to the rooms. Has to track a lot of dirt into the rooms. The pool, hot tub and fish cleaning area needs sprucing. We didn't use the cleaning station but that's very impressive, not often seen.

Rooms are nicely updated and clean.

Breakfast was not up to par. Other hotels in the same price range have more breakfast options. This was dry cereal and oatmeal

Room was clean and staff was great

The bathroom was very dirty. Mold all around the shower/bath tub. There was an overall feeling of dirtiness in the entire room. Very thin walls that separated our room and others so you could clearly hear people coughing and talking. Will never stay here again, and I do not think what they charge per night is in relation to the quality of their facility.

Room was a little small especially around the refrigerator The complimentary breakfast was not very good at all compared to other hotels I have stayed at.......

Thin walls, thin walls, thin walls! Also very small bath towels.

Fast check in / check out, good location for a vegas-tahoe trip, good parking, rooms were clean, staff gave attention we needed.

Tv had issues. Keys had issues. They started cleaning our room before we checked out. When the shower was on it was extremely loud, like a water pressure issue. When I told the front desk that they started cleaning our room before checking out, she just shrugged it off.

Maid did not inspect room properly after cleaning! Shower head was missing and hook on bathroom door as well! Someone obviously made this their possession ! Otherwise the room was great except the walls were not to now a days standards, one could hear neighbors! Price was so great that one has to overlook small problems!🎅🌲😊

The bed

Excellent for the money..,

Room was very clean and well maintained. Breakfast was very good, and area very clean and well maintained. Definitely will return...

We were quite p Happy with everything

The room and bed size are great. Location is perfect with a 24hrs denny next door. Parking right out the front of our romm. Our room was spotless and super clean with the room temperature set right. Very quick and friendly staff with a 24hr front desk Highly recommened. Great rates Very pleased thank you

Can’t think of anything.

Bishop is such a beast place. The vagabond takes pets and has resently been upgraded. It’s not the most plush place but this is a rugged area so it is whatbyounwould expect. Clean, comfortable and priced comparable to the area. Centrally located. Would stay here again. Service yourself breakfast.

The breakfast area super small so we didn't eat there, but that's o.k. because Denny's is right there and you get a discount with your key.

Loved the bed, so clean. Great pet area.

Extra charge for pets is too high. Pool was dirty.

Decent location, back rooms v. quiet, pet friendly w/ grassy area for dogs to use, OK breakfast, nice room

I wish the cooler was in the front of the room. Also I would have liked to have been able to turn the A/C lower.

It was so clean, comfortable and had everything I needed.

This place is really just doing the minimum at all levels. The room is pretty basic; no particular style, just generic. It's a large, two story building but the breakfast area is very small, so it's very easily crowded. No effort made to offer a decent breakfast; the coffee was colored water-I threw it out outside. The focus here seems to be turnover, serving visitors in and out while providing a bed and running water.

The location is on the main street through town along with most of the other motels. The room was quiet.

The breakfast room was confusing, way to hot and the selection was sparse. I think all in all the rate was to probably too high for a Sunday evening in late October with nothing special going on.

The location is perfect. The room was well decorated.

Terrible coffee, layout of food and drink bad, seating bad, quality of items bad. Would prefer $10 discount to rate and no breakfast. If you're not going to do it right don't do it at all. Also many people brought their own breakfast which is another sign. Price is a bit too high for the area

Excellent, only negative was the poor quality breakfast. Room nice, bed nice, bath and shower nice, fridge and microwave, good parking, pool, jacuzzi, location all excellent

Not much.

Two weeks travelling in California and Nevada, 6 different hotels and this was a surprising gem and great value for money. We really liked our short one night stay here. Bishop was a really nice pit stop on the way to Death Valley. Nice breakfast offered, room was very nice and clean.

This hotel looks very old and worn, although it appears some remodeling was completed.

The room had 4 bunk beds in addition to the king bed, which would be a lot of fun for kids.

There was a planned power outage from Southern Calif. Edison that started at 9:00 PM. A lot of money to sit in the dark. Not told when I booked through Booking.com.

Hotel reception staff were not friendly, not knowledgeable about simple questions like- ‘what channel is CBS?’ Work staff went in front of customers in getting their breakfast! Tables in breakfast room were not clean.

Redecorated room was very modern and pretty. Good location for our trip.

Stayed two nights and after first night the coffee carafe was not cleaned (old left over coffee was still there) and did not get a refill of regular coffee to make coffee the next day Breakfast included featured old bananas with brown spots on them, needless to say skipped having breakfast

Clean, quiet

Horrible continental breakfast with little to offer Very weak Wi-Fi in the rooms Could hear my neighbors all through the night

Convenient location

We ected a 3pm check in, but when we arrived we had to wait an additional hour and fifteen minutes until our room was ready. Also, we couldn't get our tv to work. Called the front desk and they said they would send maintenance. No one ever came and when I called again they said the maintenance man was gone and no one else could fix it. Very frustrating.. Also, the back field where pets could go, was very dirty and not well maintained. I understand that it's pet owners responsibility to pick up after their own pets, but the motel should also do a general "sweep" of the dog area as well.

Location was exactly where we needed it for a break from our drive further north.

The breakfast is not satisfactory: no fresh Belgian waffles, no yogurt available for us, coffee like hot water... Internet useless in the evening when the hotel is full. No printer for the internet at the desk!

Large room at the ground level.

We had breakfast included wasnt good at all.

This was just one night stay and was a basic hotel, however we were pleasently surprised with the standard of the rooms they were a good standard and a very comfy beds. The pool area was a basic pool with a hot tub.

the room was a little bit small. but was actually fine for two people. feel unsafe when we arrived lately some people were smoking near pool.

a nice stop overnight as we traveled from Yosemite to Las Vegas. the bed was so comfortable and room was clean. enjoy.

The king bed was just a bit to hard for us, the second night was a little more comfortable than the first. Our TV went out, had to call the office, it appears our cable in the back of the TV was loose. the lady at the office walked me through trouble shooting.

The room was very clean, much appreciated! Nice, friendly staff at the office.

Quite happy with choice

Convenient hotel for travelling around Death Valley and surrounding areas. Handy to have a microwave in room so went to supermarket to get a meal to heat up as a bit overdosed on American food. Nice pool area. Very quiet. Adequate breakfast.

Terrible, terrible wifi. Often doesn't work and s l o w when it does. AND it makes you sign in again every time you leave the premises. Pathetic. Breakfast is very ordinary and without a protein option.

We always book the Vagabond when we're in Bishop. Great location for the Eastern Sierra hikes we love. Clean, pleasant, and peaceful. Rooms refreshed and TV enhanced in the last few years. Friendly and helpful staff.

Thought breakfast was just "meh" and there was some leftover food in the room's refrigerator. Otherwise it was clean and okay - nothing to rave about but nothing to condemn it either. I'd stay there again if I were back in Bishop.

Beds were comfortable, but I wish I had brought my own soft pillow - theirs were kind of firm. Facilities were nice if a little worn. Parking was plentiful and convenient.

The entire property.

Needs updating....bad bed.....linens were terrible....musty smell in the room. The door handles & surrounding were filthy! The freezer outside was grouse.

Thin towels. Hotel has been remodeled, but still a typical motel. Good value though and for one night was perfect.

It was a good location, clean and the bed was very comfortable. Good price.

Browse Vagabond Inn Bishop traveller photo gallery