Reviews of Vagabond Inn Costa Mesa 2 stars

5.6

5.5

5.7

• Standard Queen Room

No cable the tv no work plus people smoke outside off the room I use this hotel 5 times n is the same no English front desk

Tv no good no cable with kids u need tv on

• Double Queen Room

The cigarette smell in the room. I asked for a nonsmoking room and on the door it does state it’s a nonsmoking room but people still smoked in it. It smelled like smoke and meldew.

Lots of parking and close to the freeway.

• Standard Queen Room

Too many little groups of people socializing in different areas of the parking lot, throughout the entire night.

Convenient location to freeway exit and on ramps

• Standard Queen Room

Check in raised us to 'weekend rate' despite having already booked in through booking.com, also wanted to charge us a $25.00 early check in fee!!

Nice pool area

• Standard Queen Room

Saw a small roach near the bathroom sink in the morning. Had I seen this earlier I wouldn’t have stayed. The sink didn’t have a stopper which would lead to any critters coming out but no excuse on roach. I had to book at last minute for training at corporate office in Irvine. I would not stay again. Sorry but I have to be honest....Get what you pay for?

Price

• Double Queen Room

Maid service did not meet basic standards, employees were unwilling to complete job except for maintenance and front desk management. Rooms where not up to code.

i thank the location manager for handling the situation with ease. Location, donation box was unexpected yet useful as well as near by shopping, food and more

• Double Queen Room

I checked in after 9pm, the young man at the front desk was slow, never smiled, never said good evening or I'll be with you as soon as I can...nothing.Took 25mns, never got the Wi-Fi password(i shouldn't have to ask for it). The room smelled bad, like humidity or mold.

• Double Queen Room

Would not let us check in even 10 minutes before 3pm. Stains all over sheets and blankets and furniture. Tv picture kept freezing, Hair dryer didnt work.

The price, pool and jacuzzi

• Standard Queen Room

I called 2 separate times the day prior to request early check in. The staff assured me that they could accommodate my request. When I arrived the following day at noon, they had no rooms ready and looked at me as if it were a strange request.

Good price and location

• Standard Queen Room

Night staff was super rude. My daughter threw up all over the bed and we went to ask for more blankets, she was really rude about it. When we walked in, our light was flickering, one of our night lamps didn’t work, the coffee maker didn’t work. The tv was small only has like maybe 15 channels and most are sports channels.

It was next to an inn n out and 20 mins from Huntington Beach

• Standard Queen Room

All the above.. Nothing was working properly. I will never book the Hotel again.

Nothing Terrible room Phone not working I had to go to the front desk to ask about their air conditioning not working ,and the T.V not working.

• Standard Queen Room

The Curtains let in a lot of light they were nice bu the just didn't keep a lot of light out

The staff was very easy to get along with check-in was very simple and fast and the accommodated our need for a smoking room they had ashtrays with matches in them placed neatly in a very clean room with new sheets and a nice smell not that old musty smell you get with a lot of hotels the price was good it was in a very nice little area with food places all around that were really close by there was a nice park right across the street plenty to do if you are travelling or just looking to get away from the world I would recommend this place for a nice cozy stay with good surrounding

• Double Queen Room

There are always water bugs in the bathrooms (cockroaches) air conditioning isn’t that great

Location and nice guys in front office very helpful with a smile

• Standard Queen Room

Electrical outlets were sparse with nowhere to hook up a USP Cable. The lamp shades were crumbling on the inside and I was fearful of a fire. You had to plug in the coffee pot next to the was basin.

The bed was like sleeping on a brick. Thin mattress no comforter. The temperature control had one option Cold. I could not get the heat to come on.

• Standard Queen Room

Place was pretty run down. Needs repairs and updating. Rusty sink, tub area needed caulking, counter area buckling, gap under outside door, carpet very worn, furniture dinged, coffee pot missing lid.

Sheets and towels were clean. Bed was firm.

• Standard Queen Room

I didn’t the attitude of the lady who checked us in, she was very rude and unfriendly. The room was very gross, also very outdated. Hot tub jets broken, also looked like mold inside, ducks were in the pool. The bed sheets were off white totally gross. The room smelt like dirty wet towels. The chairs had rips on them. I wouldn’t stay there again, or recommend that place to worsts enemy.

I liked that we was 5 miles or so from the beach. Free ice was nice.

• Standard Queen Room

I didn't like the price they asked for. It was too costly for such dive of a motel. As soon as we unpacked there was a fight two rooms over between a couple of drug addicts. One was almost killed and instead of being able to relax i get questioned by the police department all night into the next morning.

• Double Queen Room

The hair blow dryer was broken, cockroaches all over inside the room we told the front desk about it and they acted not worried, I asked for a couple more towels the rooms corn with 2 and I had 4 people. The man handed me only 1 towel. The beds were so uncomfortable. I will never stay there again or recommend it.

It is close to a Target and food. Close tl

• Standard Queen Room

A towel hanger was broken off the wall and the pieces sitting on the counter upon my arrival. The lock box they had was broken. The thermostat was pretty messed up looking. I turned it on high heat because it was freezing but never really warmed up much. There was no extra blankets. It was kind of dingy. There was some nasty looking stuff coming out from the ceiling boards. Found hair on one of our towels and our bed. I guess I got what I paid for and should have paid an extra $30 for a hotel that was a little better.

• Standard Queen Room

No hair dryer and when I asked for one . The front desk said I would have to wait till maid service was available. The second night our room key didn't work and had to go get another key card. Annoying clerk

The price

• Standard Queen Room

there were rouches and no Refrigerstor nor Microwave...We showed proof, & all we received, was 10% discount...! Not Happy! There's also a Female Employee,(the only female), that tried to pocket A Dep. on my Credit Card used as a $20.00 Deposit....! I cought the charge, but if I were not dping my job, checking up on employees u give u Credit Card No. and they end up missusing it..! .Good Luck! ! You'll need it, if she happens to be working when you check in...??

location...! V.Close to 405 Fwy and So.Coast Plaza

• Standard Queen Room

The fact that you cannot use a heater in the room. Old furniture. No bible in the room. The bed sheets were not white.

The room was cold. the bed sheets were dingy white. there was no way heating up the room, it remained cold all night . Very unpleasant. The furniture were unbelievably old. Self for the staff, bad experience.

• Standard Queen Room

The wifi did not work for most of my visit. Almost everything in room 329 did not work properly, including the refrigerator, which only reached about 55-60 degrees at the coolest setting, the bathroom fan did not work as required by law in California (for windowless bathrooms), the t.v. signal was marginal and the t.v. was stuck on display mode, only 1 of the 3 lighting fixtures worked, AND, the air conditioner/heater only worked on freezing setting. There are only 2 spare electrical outlets, one more or less near the bed and the other near the vanity mirror.

The complimentary continental breakfast.

• Standard Queen Room

check the property for the basics before renting it out.

No water flow in toilet. Broken toilet. Door locked and did not open from inside. No remote control in the room.

• Double Queen Room

The room absolutely stunk. The shower was awful. The bed was rock hard. The lighting was poor. Hair all over the bathroom floor, bath and sink. You would not want to eat the limited breakfast it all looks dirty. The receptionist looked and smelt like she hadn’t had a wash in a few months and had no interest in being there to help guests check in.

Nothing it was awful.

• Standard Queen Room

We paid in cash, thus had to pay extra 20$ security money, which was promised to be returned upon check-out. Obviously we paid and forgot. When checking out I did ask whether all is fine and I got reply - you are good to go! We rememberd the 20$ only when it was too late to turn back. Bed sheets were dirty. The public staying there was also "interesting", to put in midly (we saw people being taken by police) and whole area looked a bit shady.

• Standard Queen Room

The room had roaches , the floor had cigarette burns , the barthroom had tiowels from the previous guest still in the bathroom, the sink drained so slowly i did n’t need a stopper .the TV didn’t work , but worse of all my room and car were broken into and my computer and personal electronics were stolen and the manager seemed unconcerned .charged me full price for my stay and ignored all my calls and notes left.

I loved the location because it was right next to the freeway and in the same parking lot as In N Out burgers

• Standard Queen Room

Upon arrival: short hand and face towel. Dirty towel hanging on back of bathroom door. Only one coffee cup in room. Bedside light flickered on and off. No hangers in the room. Saw roaches in the room. When the sheets were changed our hot water bottle went missing. It was never returned.

Cold Breakfast Good and the Bed was comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room

Cleanliness on the furniture and towels should be better. Shower unit is not functional. Music and people talk loud outside the room when they gathered for smoking and talk. Continental breakfast is not good in comparison with other the same category motel.

Quiet at night due to not too close to the freeway.

• Standard Queen Room

We never received a wifi password and the TV didn't work. The lamp fell apart upon entering and the microwave was in a position without an outlet.

I enjoyed the convenience of the In-In-Out restaurant and many businesses surrounding the hotel and Harbor Blvd. It was nice having the 405 freeway close by for an easy exit and enter.

• Standard Queen Room

Dis liked everything about this property. The city of Costa mesa should shut it down. Mosty for reasons health reason. Mold everywhere. Safety reasons too.

Didnt like any thing about this property.

• Standard Queen Room

House keeping staff is super rude

The landscaping is so lush and green and the property is so quiet that you forget you're so close to the freeway and smack dab in the middle of everything. The front desk staff is amazing, helpful and welcoming... house keeping staff is the total opposite however. Over all this place is amazing and well worth the price!

• Standard Queen Room

We asked for a non smoking room and got a smoking room. There were cigarrett burn holes on the blanket and it smelled like smoke. We asked for a new blanket around 8 pm and got one at midnight. The room was dirty and old, did not feel comfortable. Staff seemed like they hate being there. Shower heads burst the water out and it stings. It definitely needs a remodel. Made the best of this experience.

I like the location. In N Out was nearby as well as other shops and restaurants. It's also near the freeway which made it convinient.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was not very clean. There was gross build up around the water faucet in the bathroom. The carpet was dirty. I wouldn’t walk on it with bare feet. No refrigerator or microwave. The tv only got about 5 or 6 channels. The heater didn’t work so the room was freezing cold all night.

The location was close to freeways, plenty of options for food nearby.

• Standard Queen Room

I was disappointed at the service we received. We didn’t check in until 1:00 AM & didn’t get back to the hotel room until 1:45 because we where unaware of the deposit and needed to find an ATM (wich where all closed) because my card was declined, and yet worked perfectly fine after checking out. We also found a few bugs in the bathroom and the staff where not very friendly at all however we do appreciate the housekeeping staff for being the only kind people there. We where also gives a prince and it was more during check in without putting the deposit down.

It’s rite in front of In N Out, highlight of our stay!

• Standard Queen Room

Staff was rude, bed uncomfortable, there was some kind of water damage in the carpet so there were soggy wet areas when you were walking, the bathroom fan made an aweful sound when turned on. Room smelled funny. When I checked in and discovered these things I asked for a different room which they wanted to charge me more for a different room and when I asked to cancel they said it was too late. I'm sober, but if I wanted to relapse there are plenty of young pharmaceutical entrepreneurs willing to help me relapse milling about the property.

I liked the water pressure in the shower. It's next door to an In and Out Burger.

• Standard Queen Room

I wish the bathroom and carpet were upgraded, and new pillows and sheets are needed. I went to Wal-Mart and bought new pillows because the ones provided were yellow and stained.

Overall the hotel was great for my business trip. It's right off the highway and right next to an In-N-Out, and 15 minutes from a Wal-Mart/shopping center. A great location, price and company!

• Standard Queen Room

The bed was hard and squeaky. There was cops there every night for drugs and prostitution. You could always here commotion from fighting or cops and the freeway. They really need to clean up the area and clientle.

• Standard Queen Room

Horrible manager & staff. Very difficult to deal with, Booked 4 nights and only stayed 1 due to desk manager. Couldn't pay with credit card because he said it wouldn't slide in the machine and refused to punch in the card number so I ended up using my debit card. Went across the street and used my credit card just fine. He wasn't even pleasant about it but actually rude to me and I was just trying to pay and get into my room to relax. Horrible experience.

• Double Queen Room

I needed to go to the reception 3 times for information. The phone on the table was not connected to anything. There was no plug until i asked for it. I didnt like the TV channels. No HGTV! Boo hoo

Close to speedway track my friend was going to.

• Standard Queen Room

Hotel in side had water stand on top of cleinng. bath tub old. Paint peeling light bulbs die. I was a non smoke room right next door was a smoke room.

That it was close to store's

• Standard Queen Room

I called 4 times before I got to speak to anyone. The fax machine did not work for 2 days. The carpet in the rooms were sticky and stained. The air conditioner would not get lower than 72'

After my 4th call someone finally answered the phone and it was Oliver. He was very good and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

The smell, the weak water pressure in the shower, the fact that I had to use card when I got there to pay for my room, the channels for the tv were boring, and needs to be a bit more Parking

The fact that they had good heated water for the shower

• Standard Queen Room

The toilet wasn't functioning properly and we had to call for service to be for 3times. Room phone was broken and we had to use our cell phone to contact front desk

The pool and location of room

• Double Queen Room

Staff was kinda rude parking was really bad rooms were poor nothing like the pics had 2 rooms and both were missing things no refrigerator hair dryer or TV remotes breakfast was old chocolate chip muffins a small thing of fruit and half croissants juice was watered down

Clean pool

• Standard Queen Room

The door stuck, dirty sheets, no smoke detector, no cover on the thermostat, plugs loose, and breakfast was made to be more than rolls and cold cereal. The front desk couldn't give us clean sheets the first night. This was supposed to be a non smoking room and it was definitely smoked in before.

Bed

• Standard Queen Room

There were some cockroaches on the floor in the room which we got. We asked for a new one. In the second room there weren't any fridge and microwave, everything was dusty..breakfast - only coffee water and some muffins and sweats,bananas and apples weren't fresh

• Standard Queen Room

Visually the room appeared clean, but run down. However, the air quality was terrible. It was so musty that it was a little difficult to breathe. I had to turn off the air conditioner (the vent was caked with dust) and leave the door open for a couple of hours before going to bed just to make it breathable enough to sleep. Even then breathing was uncomfortable and I woke up with a scratchy throat that thankfully went away after a few hours of fresh air.

The lady at the front desk was very nice

• Standard Queen Room

Room smells like cigarete , a little.

Bed was prety comfortably, coffe for breakfast was good, i didn't expect breakfast was still serving after 9am , Pool water looked super clean, very good location, i will go back again.

• Standard Queen Room

The breakfast wasn't very great.

The place wasn't too extravagant but we were at the beach most of the time so we weren't too picky with the hotel. It was in a great location with lots of food/bar options nearby.

• Double Queen Room

Nasty bathroom. Very low water pressure. No safety bars in bathroom. Terrible TV.(snowy picture) Non-working USB ports Booked with Booking.com almost 2 weeks prior to visit, and specified wheelchair access. Not only did they not have a disabled room with 2 beds on the property, they didn't even have my reservation. I brought a paper print out of the reservation. Good thing I did because there was nothing under my name. When the guy looked up the confirmation number, there was an open reservation under the additional guest's name.

• Standard Queen Room

The smell was strong when you first walk into the room. The carpet was stained. The shower head was old and needed replacing. The sink drain was rusted. There was graffiti on the bathroom door. The bathroom needs a paint job. The linoleum in bathroom was old and looked dirty. All and all the room wasn't the cleanest place I've stayed. But the bed and pillows were comfy.

The bed was very comfy after spending all day in the sun. The air conditioner was very strong and made for a good night sleep. If you just need a place to sleep, this hotel was perfect.

• Double Queen Room

The room was dirty I'm not so sure that the sheets were actually clean there was a 1-inch Gap underneath the door and you could see the light all the way out to the walkway I'm not a hundred percent sure that the brown stains on the floor by the sink we're not blood I brought my own pillow and ended up leaving it there because I didn't want to bring it home because it was afraid of what may or may not be in my pillow after sleeping there my husband actually slept with his gun next to him the whole night it just was not a pleasant environment

Location wasn't bad

• Double Queen Room

My first impression as I pulled into the parking lot was not very good when I saw the type of people loitering in the parking lot. They looked like druggies and were using very foul language that I didn't want my kids to hear so I kept them in the car while I checked in. They didn't stick around too long thankfully, well not in broad daylight at least. The room smelled funky like stale weed. There was a decent sized gap under the front door, great for any critter. And when I used the restroom at night I noticed cockroaches on the walls. Luckily there was a dollar store close by so I could treat the bugs myself. The walls were painted nice but could have used a good wipe down. They should inspect the rooms with a black light like every once in a while like I did, pretty gross.

The parking was great, close to rooms and plenty of it. The pool is big and perfect temperature, water was crystal clear. Room was spacious. The grounds of the Vagabond Inn were green, lush, and well maintained. The beds were clean and moderately comfortable but sheets and pillow cases were thin. The bath towels were surprisingly thick and of good quality, bright white too! The overall value for the price was ok.

• Standard Queen Room

the security guard has to be more patiente with customer like my condition, im a handicapped person and I need more time than others to get my parking, he wasn't polite and that day my wife park my car, but is ok , soon im gonna make another reservation, have a great morning. Oscar villeda

breakfast was so good..

• Standard Queen Room

Tweetkers, low life's that made a lot of noise at night. Location of the ice machine as well. Need security due to the homeless in the area . Room was supposed to be non smoking but reeked of tobacco. Back area of hotel is not safe.Need to say more?

Comfortable bed

• Double Queen Room

They lied and told me I had to pay a 20 deposit that I would get back and they charged me 40 and kept 20 of it. Do not give this place your card number. Rooms were real hot

• Double Queen Room

Room smelled of mold and floor wet. We had to change rooms. The nozzle that's turns in the shower completely came out. Had to screw it back on to shower.

Swimming pool

The first room we stayed in the TV was broke explain that to a 9yr old,send room the ceiling above my suitcase and clothes I had out to wear to my father in laws service were completely covered with water and ceiling tiles they brought me a hand hair dryer,very disappointed I asked for a clothes dryer now I need to go to a dry cleaners to have my suit cleaned I'm out of town for this funeral so I have no back up up suit it's 903am the service is at 100pm today where do I find a suit? Yes I am disappointed

• Standard Queen Room

the faint smell of cigarette in the non-smoking room and overall maintenance of the room needed work. cigarette holes in the blankets, stained bathtub, rusty fixtures. breakfast was basic which is fine however they put out brown bananas that were past there prime. lastly the tv was kinda fuzzy.

i liked the price, pool closed at 10pm! , great location, room size and bathroom size was good, had a safe, fridge and microwave

• Standard Queen Room

There was some graffiti in the restroom behind the door ... maybe housekeeping didn't see it.

There is an In n Out right next door!!! Management was very good about keeping the parking lot safe from people loitering. I literally saw him asking some people to leave that had no business there.

• Standard Queen Room

Graffiti on the walls in the room , broken running toilet ,broken furniture busted screens, the door had bean kicked in and not repaired,urine stains on bathroom floor,exaust fans loud vibrating the building , broken lighting, and smells of bad odor.

Cental location

• Standard Queen Room

Better maintenance of the property.

The room was super hot and it took the A/C so long to cool the room down and it was only 2 of us. There was cockroaches in the bathroom!

• Standard Queen Room

The room had broken furniture, the room smelled like spoiled milk, also no shuttle to airport as website stated. That was one of the reason we chose that motel. I know pot is legal in Cali but having to smell it every night when we got back was bad. It might have just been our room but it needs to be updated. The carpets are really sticky and dirty. Our stained bed skirt needs to bed thrown away along with the bent lamp shades.

The location for where we spent most of our vacation was perfect. Half way to LA and San Diego.

• Standard Queen Room

I was put in a room that had no phone working nor TV. The screen to window was torn looked like someone tried to break in. Requested another room and was put in a room that had no lock, roaches and was told to put desk against room for the night as they had no one to fix the lock. Very unhappy not sure about using Booking.com if I get another place like this.

• Standard Queen Room

Our room was quite outdated and our bed was broken! When one person would get off the bed, the entire bed tilted over to the other side where the other person laid. Scary and unsafe, and the front door guy never came to check it out after he said he would. We ended sleeping sideways on the bed to prevent anyone from falling over and getting hurt. Location was close to where we wanted to be but I definitely would have stayed somewhere else had I had the opportunity.

Place looks nice from the outside and parking was easy.

• Standard Queen Room

room smelled, Internet was horrible slow and would not stay connected. Staff did not even acknowledge me when i walked into the Lobby and the last day i was trying to use my computer and roach walked across my laptop. There was mold in many places and the furniture was about to collapse. Worst stay ever

• Standard Queen Room

The carpets were filthy dirty and the bathroom faucets were loose almost coming out of their socket. The room was a non-smoking room however it's smell like smoke and it wreaked horribly.

Centrally located close to everything

• Double Queen Room

Very nice employees. Loved that I was able to make changes to room at last minimum without being charged penalties. The outside of the walls near room were dirty. Bins to put laundry like seem old and dirty. Bottom of the box. The chair/sofa were stained-could use a shampooing. Bathroom was nice and clean. Felt much safer when I saw security around .😊

• Standard Queen Room

There was black mold in the shower. Our shower wasn't working, and it took the staff 3 hours to come fix it. The free wifi was not working and we had to call the front office three or four times for a new wifi password.

The room temperature was okay.

• Standard Queen Room

My reservation was for 2 people, so it should be 2 beds, not sure if I made mistake on booking, but they wanted to charge more $30 for an additional bed! no way!

Its ok for a night

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Standard Queen Room

No elevator. The landings on the stairs were crumbling. The breakfast was a joke. Repairs to holes punched in the bathroom door was shoddy at best. the stated "parking lot" for the bus was actually the curb area in the line of traffic on the hotel grounds. I had to be sure to have my bus out of the parking area before the garbage truck got there and there is no clear route through the parking lot. It's way dangerous to be backing in and out of a parking space with a line of cars to your right. Also NO signs indicating bus parking that the management insisted they had any number of big bus groups stay there.

The price point looked like a value; it wasn't. Like? well I didn't find any roaches. I came via tour bus because we were the transportation for the Newport Beach boat show. My bus didn't get vandalized.

• Standard Queen Room

Staff was helpful but not friendly at all. We found a cockroach and ants in our room which was pretty nasty. And the bed was pretty hard and the TV was super fuzzy on all of the English channels.

The price was decent. The pool and hot tub area weren't packed so that was nice. The location of it is great as well.

• Standard Queen Room

The room does not have a refrigerator, tv have poor channel selection,the bed squeaks, not but not least...the room stinks - bad odor

Very close to many restaurant and other shopping centers

• Standard Queen Room

I didn't like that it was dirty. Also that they took the deposit because I took a few extra Minutes to pack up my things .

What I liked about the property was that it was close to a lot of shopping centers and restaurants. Also it is close to the freeway.