Reviews of Vagabond Inn Executive Pasadena 3 stars

1203 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106, USA

#12 of 30 hotels in Pasadena

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Walls are thin and the door has big gap at the bottom.

Walls are thin and the door has big gap at the bottom. The new remodel is looking good and the rooms were nicely furnished, very nice bathrooms. Stayed here to go to Universal Studios, very convenient.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

It was a great place for the price we paid.

Lobby was under construction but there was no mention about it while booking the reservation. But that was really not a problem.

Location was ideal. Staff was friendly and helpful. We got there early and they said they would try to get the rooms ready by 1:30...and they did!

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Convenient location
    • Single Room - Disability Access

Property is undergoing extensive Reno (Oct 2018). My room was a new one and it’s excellent. Handicapped access was very good and the room was well planned for wheelchair use. Very well done. And nice.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Much nicer than I anticipated!

n/a

Much nicer than I anticipated! Refrigerator and microwave in the room, wifi was excellent, free parking, and the room was clean and roomy. Would definitely stay there again!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

My favorite place to stay in Pasadena.

No bacon in the breakfast.

My favorite place to stay in Pasadena. It was recently remodeled, the rooms are extremely luxurious. Has a decent breakfast, nice staff, an outdoor pool.

Needs better management, cleaner.

While it is true that they are still renovating, the hallways were absolutely filthy and smelled terrible. The staff was extremely rude, knocking on our door and accusing us of smoking when we were not smoking. They insisted that the smoke detector had gone off - it did not. Extremely rude and accusatory, demanded to be let into the room which we did not allow and there were women changing. We felt threatened and untrusted and had done nothing wrong.

The rooms are nicely renovated, comfortable, and have both a fridge and microwave.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

A nice stay but walls are thin

Walls are very thin. I could hear my neighbors conversations that kept me up til 2 am. Yet they complained at my music that I was playing on my phone at 10 am when I was getting ready to leave. I'm hoping it's still under construction because the tape on numbers on paper door we're tacky and the wall paper in the halls ways look way unfinished and the elevator is really old looking n dirty.

The rooms were awesome. Stylish and comfy and clean. The morning breakfast was perfect, waffles, yogurt, bagels and fruit and coffee and juice.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

The hotel is in the process of renovation but the room we...

The hotel is in the process of renovation but the room we were in had been finished to a high standard and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast is available, Toast, Muffins, Waffles the usual. There is a pool although we didn't use it.

The staff in the hotel was really friendly and catering...

Breakfast choice is quite basic.

The staff in the hotel was really friendly and catering about my extra requests. The hotel is clean and overall quiet. The location was convenient for me and the free parking option was a plus.

great location, when staying here try Andy's Coffee Shop across the street! Perfect home spun food!
    • Deluxe King Suite

Bed took 3 nights to get use to. They were in the process of remodeling, this led to the lower cleanliness score

We were in one of the remodeled rooms. They did a decent job. some things were a little wanky, but this is to be expected.

So good

The outside space.

The cleaning were perfect, the rooms are really beautiful, Pasadena is a beautiful piace to spend a couple of day. It’s a good structure! I recommend it.

Worst customer service ever.

Worst customer service ever. After being locked out for 6 hours, I was met at my door by whom I can only assume was the morning manager. Now ...i'm on my way to shower for court...which I am late for and after dismissing my ride began explaining smoke detectors at 8am. After I told Him to stop wasting my time that I clearly havent been in the room he made a comment I refuse to repeat and I will only say it is the most unprofessional service I have ever experienced. Other than that....top of the line

Nice and comfortable room, well decorated and equipped,...

Breakfast: (too) basic selection of packed industrial food (with lot of waste), tiny breakfast room. Swimming pool too noisy to rest (nearby road).

Nice and comfortable room, well decorated and equipped, helpful and friendly staff. Free parking, convenient laundry. Supermarket and restaurants not too far.

Great price, good value - will stay again

The property is undergoing a remodel so the elevator was a little scary & the hallways looked like a backdrop for a murder scene. That being said - walking into the room was so refreshing and literally night and day. The room has been updated, was clean and had LVT flooring (I'm not a huge fan of carpet) ... my only real issue was the mattress protector. It's the standard one most hotels use that has that plastic lining and it makes me sweat in my sleep. The bed was comfy but I tossed and turned and woke up congested. I will stay again but I'll definitely bring a blanket to create a barrier against the mattress protector. Definitely worth the money when you're traveling for work and have an expense account to manage.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

At first The room and bathroom felt fresh and modern and...

If you looked closer in the room, forreign hair in the sheets, hole in walls, towelrack dangling. The elevator was inconsistent but we took the stairs when it didn’t work.

At first The room and bathroom felt fresh and modern and clean. We knew we paid less so did not expect much. Great shower and bathroom. Full tv service.

Pleasant, clean hotel near-ish Caltech

The hotel was expensive for the location and the services. The continental breakfast was also disappointing.

The bed was very comfortable, and the room was very clean and updated. A good stay overall.

Convenient launching point for Pasadena and Caltech

Property was partially under construction, including hallways on the upper floor.

Excellent location and efficient set up for travelers with a limited budget. Laundry machine on premises was a lifesaver!

Recommendable

Just one bad thing: we found a live cockroach in the room.

The bathroom was very nice and the bed super confortable. Basic breakfast but was included in the fee.

Stressful!

The staff was very unhelpful and uncooperative the general manager did not seem to care about any of my complaints. I had an extra charge on my credit card for the second night. It appeared on my card as a purchase and no one told me that this was going to occur when I checked out. Apparently the person at the front desk had forgotten to charge me tax the night before. That was the reason for the extra charge. I stayed two nights and had to change rooms the second night. Both rooms were king size beds however the second night was in a room with paper thin walls and I had to listen two people having sex all night. When I complained the boy at the desk said he was sorry. When I spoke to the general manager he just made excuses. The general manager refused to make me happy or compensate me in anyway for the issues I had with my stay. By the way I strongly requested that I not have to move around from one king room to another king room they claimed the room I had originally was booked for six days .

Great stay at a great value

I had a great stay, rooms are updated and cleaned, the staff were friendly, hard working, and really seemed to like and care for their jobs and the hotel as if it was their own. From my room I could see the foot hills.

Pleasantly surprised

nothing it was great for the value

I was pleasantly surprised by the kitchen and it had utensils and pots and pans. I found the place very comfortable. I enjoyed my stay

This hotel is super clean and comfortable.

In the morning I heard some heavy footstep coming from the ceiling.

The room is super clean! This hotel is just renovated so everything is brand new. The room is light colored, which makes the room bright and tidy. This place is close to Caltech (15 min walk). The street view of this property's neighborhood is great.

We enjoyed our stay!

The only thing not ideal was hearing long conversations outside our door both mornings while we were still trying to sleep (adult and children's voices). Other guests or cleaning crew?

The rooms apparently had been recently remodeled. The design was very nice and current. The bed was especially nice because of the extra cushion on the mattress. The oversized pillows were awesome!

Good choice for a one-night stay in the center of Pasadena on the Rose Bowl parade route.

This is a very basic hotel but the location is very good and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Free wi-fi, basic breakfast with cereals, yogurt, bread products, Asian choices. Water pressure in the shower was good. One towel per person and one small shampoo and body lotion were provided in the small bathroom. NO PETS, which is a plus for people with allergies. I would stay here again. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

Very clean and the bed was comfy.

The person at the desk did not tell us that the internet and TV was down and had been all day, even after we told him we were anxious to see the Kentucky Derby. Think he should have warned us so we could have made arrangements.

Very clean and the bed was comfy.

I love it !!

We did not have cable or wifi all day long !!! And i need to use my computer , i have to use starbucks wifi , that’s my only isue other than that i love love this hotel ..

The room was clean and I slept like in haven.

The breakfast could use some improvement. The worst thing is all the plastic that is thrown away. Think of all the plastic waste that will end up in the oceans. It kills tremendous amounts of sea life. As micro-plastics it will return to us via food chain in an unwanted way. Please use re-usable plates, cups and silverware and don't wrap every muffin or slice of bread into plastic. - Thanks.

The room was clean and I slept like in haven.

Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Could have used a 2nd chair in the room or maybe had a small table with 2 chairs instead of the way it was set up but the desk/table was set against the wall.

Room location very quiet and our disabled parking space right in front. Ate breakfast at restaurant so can't provide this info.

Staff great.

Staff great. Room a pleasant surprise compared to the hallway, which looks a little run-down and shabby. We'd stay here again. Loved the re-done rooms!

Very nice would stay there again

The bathroom door I wish was solid because the light was so bright if you get up at night it lite the room you were sleeping that was the only thing I would change

Big nice room but noisy

not comfortable sleep at night because of the noises coming from the surrounding rooms... the rooms need more insulation. While the room was ecstatically quite nice, the common areas were quite old style and the breakfast area was too small. The breakfast itself was not exceptional.

the room was quite big and had a comfortable desk position, it looked like it was recently renewed

Very happy with the accommodations. Very comfortable brand new beds. I highly recommend.

The hallway carpet has to be re-done, which I believe that they are working on it. Otherwise everything else I was very happy the the accommodations.

The rooms have been totally renovated, everything has been re-done and is brand new, and brand new beds, furniture, T.V. The floors are wooden, which helps if you have allergies. I was very pleased with the accommodations. The breakfast is very good. I am very happy with my stay at the VAGABOND INN.

Reasonably good spot for working trip

I hate the continental american breakfast. But this is not a particularity of this hotel.

Nice and comfortable room and bed. Clean bathroom, nice staff. There was a washing machine and dryer near our room, which was very convenient. The location is reasonably close to Caltech, so we could walk there everyday.

Nice hotel but location area is a bit seedy.

We were confronted in parking lot by scary, angry patron and his “girlfriend for the evening”. Our room was at base of stairs. Quite a bit of traffic up and down stairs.

Could be better with a couple of improvements.

We stayed on the 3rd floor. The hallway carpet looked dirty and worn out. The wallpaper at the top of wall in the hallways was coming down and looked bad. Not a good impression when walking to your room.

The room we stayed in looked to be fairly recently remodeled and was clean. We like the flooring because it's easy to keep clean. The room itself was clean

The rooms have have clearly been refurbished and are all...

The corridors could be refurbished too. The vending machines doesn't accept credit cards (even though it's equipped) and are a little warm.

The rooms have have clearly been refurbished and are all nice and shiny. Plenty of USB ports as well. There's also an small outside pool if the weather is good.

It was great! I would come back!

Nothing?

I really didn’t expect much but my room was recently remodeled, squishy blankets, microwave, refrigerator, I was here for a few days so I went and bought my own coffee and creamer and it was perfect!

It is nice to see this place continues to renovate, which must be a never-ending challenge.

The tv remote did not change beyond the weather channel. The replacements did not work either.

Beds were very comfy. Shower is easy to use. Glad there are hard boiled eggs. I like the lack of carpet.

Stay here if you want to be near downtown Pasadena

The elevator and the hallways are still pretty drab. Awaiting refurbishing I suppose.

Nice breakfast room. Friendly and professional looking people at the front desk. Some covered parking. Freshly paved parking lot and cheery outdoor patio with nice cleaning furniture.

Location was great for my purposes.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

I changed my Checkin date with you and the manager says the Inn wasn’t informed causing them to charge me a no show fee. This created a very complicated Checkin.

Location was great for my purposes.

No happy at all

The young gentleman at the Front Desk, probably was very tired that I felt very rough. He did not give me payment options, even though my payment plans were to be made with another credit card. Then, next day, he did not have the courtesy, to offer me,even a small shadow or close little bite the curtain, sun was burning me, while someone was going to look for me. Frankly, very disillusioned of the hotel, the photos tell a story, however the truth has not yet been told, Hotel showcase style: on the outside it looks like one thing, inside is another. I imagine that they should raise the salary. may janitor has not any incentive; the floor of the room that we were asigned to us, had full of hairs. Although, they have made some improvements, the floor of the elevator leaves much to be desired. Next time more, coffee, sugar and some splenda.

Close to the place where we have the job meeting. Bed was comfortable, door barn style at bathroom, as well as very nice door and floor at the shower area. Excellent shower & amenities soft bed linens, Hard Floor, no carpet. Microwave, mini refrigerator. Quick check in-check out.

We had a great time and the staff and manager were very accommodating. The rooms are renovated nice.

Well the cost goes through the roof for the parade weekend, but so did EVERY other hotel in a 30 mile radius... and with Vagabond we were ON the route, so we didn't drive our vehicle the entire weekend, just walked and enjoyed the energy of the people camping on the sidewalk, great weather, and amazing Rose Parade!

Great location for the Rose Parade. Right on route. Manager is a really nice man.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

You can hear the road noise and people walking outside of our room.

The room was clean, updated and the staff friendly. Normally, a room will not have a safe but this one has it including a fridge and a microwave.

Not worth the money.

Not really in town. Many things did not work quite right. TV remote would not work more than 5 feet away from the tv. Fridge did not work at all. Did not really need it but still. Toilet seat would not stay up. A guy thing for sure, but guys prefer not to make a mess. But mainly I expected better at $120 per night on off season. At $80 I would have overlooked all those little quirks. The place is only very slightly better than a motel 8

The staff were great. Great shower and furniture

Best value for the area but still seemed overpriced.

Exterior is undergoing a much needed makeover. Hallways and common areas also need to be updated.

Room was recently renovated. Very clean and comfortable.

Convenient freeway access;

It’s right by a major road, so traffic noise is an issue. We took the room furthest from the road, which meant it could have been a lot worse, but one night a generator/fan started up at 12:30.

Convenient freeway access; free parking; good breakfast; unfailingly friendly and helpful staff

Meets my expectations; would stay again

Breakfast was some cheap yogurt, bread, and some sugary cereal. (I preferred eating the protein bars I brought instead.) Bed was on the firmer side. Shower drained kind of slowly. Aesthetics of buildings and appliances were 1970s-era (I wouldn't care much about this though).

There was a microwave + fridge + pots/pans in my room, which was much more than I was expecting. Cheaper compared to the hotels in central Pasadena and very accessible by bus. No weird smells or obvious cleanliness problems. Staff was very helpful in looking for an item I lost after I left.

Good value

Nothing much to walk to as the property is a bit far from Old Pasadena but it is just a few minutes drive. Breakfast was kind of limited in choices.

Nicely remodeled rooms with comfortable beds and new furniture, The exterior doesn't look like much but was told that it would be refurbished as well over time. Good location in Pasadena but kind of far from LA proper. Quiet and clean.

excellent stay

a few pan handlers around outside in the late evening , taxis recommended

stayed in a newly refurbished room an it was finished to an exception standard for this style motel , staff were excellent and a good location

Everything was clean and nice.

There was a fairly strong smell in the room when I showed up. Not a bad smell, just a little strong for me. I'm not sure if it was something they spray or cleaning supplies, but it was bothersome. Could just be me being overly sensitive to it.

Everything was clean and nice. The furniture seemed modern and new. Nothing in the room looked old and worn

Good spot for a couple of days in Pasadena.

Again, curb appeal is a little lacking. It is a 50-60 era building but you can't tell a book by its cover.

The Vagabond doesn't look like much on the outside, but there has been remodeling of the interior. My room was clean, comfortable and roomy. The bathroom was roomy. The room included a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. the daily breakfast was better than normal continental with waffles, fruit, yogurt, cereals, hard boiled eggs and pastries. I didn't but many were using the pool. There was lots of covered parking.

I really loved it!

Needs definitely a luggages deposit, I had to wait sticking around Pasadena for 3 hours with when I arrived...

Clean, silent, big rooms, friendly staff, close to Caltech.

Excellent value for money. A great stay.

May be the interior of the lift...

I had a room which looked brand new with a modern decor. The bathroom had been redone. The staff was extremely nice.

I booked for my friend's stay, and they charged my...

I booked for my friend's stay, and they charged my booking credit card instead of my friend's I called the manager and he first told me that my friend asked them to charge my card. The truth was that my friend gave them his card

Good stay and stuff BUT distasteful billing system.
    • Single Room - Disability Access

Their Billing system is ridiculous. I had enough funds for the 9 nights in my credit card($1335) they reserved the $1335 which made sense from my credit card, But then started deducting $129+tax for each night I stayed in which simply meant that I was charged twice(2x) the initial agreed amount which was $1335($129+tax per night). Be Careful and make sure your account has enough funds before you book or else you will end up like me, who got stranded and became cashless due to their ludicrous billing system which reserved enough money for the stay and still kept deducting money from my credit card which led me to ending up have negative balance in my bank account and a lot of bank declined transactions which simply means More bank charges. I wouldn't recommend the breakfast, not what I am used to I suppose.

Great location close to Caltech(5-15min walk). The bed was comfy. The hot water in the shower is instant which is a bonus after a very hot day. There's a small bar fridge which is always a bonus to have. WiFi connection gets congested ie it's fast when everyone is sleeping/away but overall the connection is decent and I got good speeds most nights.

Overpriced, bad breakfast in tiny area, generally poor
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The staff are mostly incompetent. In addition to clearing the entire stay on my card, they also charged an amount for every night's stay daily without releasing the hold. If you don't have double the amount of your total cost available, you may have problems.

The location was the only positive in this case - it was close to where I needed to be.

I stayed in the king room and it was so clean and comfy.

Very limited breakfast but i found something to eat.

I stayed in the king room and it was so clean and comfy. The staff at the check in desk couldn't have been any more helpful!

Good rooms, bad coffee!

The coffee was disgusting. I do concede I'm a bit of a jerk about my coffee but it was terrible. The continental breakfast is not diabetic friendly. Oh and the outside is nowhere near as nice as the inside. The wifi is flakey too.

The inside is super very nice. I was very shocked. It's also clean and well stocked. The staff was crazy super helpful. I stayed here because I was taking the bar at the convention center. They dealt with all the crazy questions and stayed pleasant the entire time. I checked in early and took a long hot shower to try and calm down.

Excellent value . Nice modern rooms and friendly staff. Only negative was lack of parking and seat

Not near enough seating in breakfast area. We stood for 10 min. and nothing opened up. had to go out for breakfast.

Space and design of the rooms--very modern.

Good location in Pasadena with a clean room but overnight staff was less than welcoming.

The elevator and hallways were in need of renovation. The night staff gentleman who opened the main office door both mornings we stayed where breakfast was served was rude. I have travelled extensively and must say this individual should not be in the hospitality industry. He didn't greet us and had a sullen look on his face and appeared as if he didn't care one iota for the guests - I was shocked.

The room was newly renovated and very nice & clean....bathroom was especially good.

great place to put your head down for a night

the pool could have had some sun loungers

The staff were very helpful, we arrived earlier then the 3pm check in and they were quick to complete the cleaning of our room to allow for an earlier check in.

Great improvement with the renovations

It's not really clear where the overflow parking lot was. There was a sign that just said there was additional parking in rear but it wasn't clear that you had to get out of the driveway, go onto the street and find the parking lot.

I was here a few years ago and it looked "old." When I came back the room looked new. Loved the wood-looking floors and the updated bathroom.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Dont judge a book by its cover

Outside of building hallways felt like a homeless shelter scary almost left but saw my room was shocked .. clean beautiful like a 4 star inside and beautiful bathroom ..

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Look on the outside is deceiving

Could be more for breakfast. But there were enough options.

Beautiful room and bathroom. Don't be deceived by the look of the outside. Newly renovated rooms. Lots to walk to around.

Good place to stay.

Only that it was booked up for the last night I wanted to stay there and I had to move to another place. Elevator floor could use an update.

It is within walking distance of Caltech. It has a waffle machine to make your own waffle for breakfast. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Rooms seem to be newly renovated since my last stay a couple of years ago.

We requested an early check in and they were able to...

The outside looks a worn down and needs work which I assume is next on their renovations list. Parking is tight.

We requested an early check in and they were able to accommodate us, which we greatly appreciate as we were in town for a wedding and needed the room to get ready. We stayed in one of the newly renovated rooms. The decor is more contemporary than what is shown in the photos here which was a nice surprise. The beds, floors, and furniture were all brand new. The bathroom was bright with vanity mirror lighting. The bathroom has a sliding door and the shower has a modern design.

Pleasant surprise!

No complaints

Many amenities such as fitness room. Conveniently located to many eateries and stores. Staff was great. Breakfast was much better than any other hotel I have been to, plus the variety of food was surprising. Soundproof rooms and air conditioner was great!

Perfect for my trip to Caltech

This worked for me, and I think it's a fine hotel and I had a great room . But not fancy. Nothing to complain about -- I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.

Went to a reunion at Caltech. The Vagabond is just a few blocks from campus, so I could just walk there. Note this section of Colorado Blvd. isn't too interesting, so if you're looking for a hot time, further west on Colorado is better. But perfect for me. And price was great!

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

The staff at the registration is very kind.

There were a group of people shouting outside oposite the street in the late night. I can't sleep well. The window of this hotel is not soundproof.

The staff at the registration is very kind.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Great place to stay in Pasadena

The space for breakfast was a little cramped. Trying to get food was tough when more than one person was there.

The remodeled rooms were done excellent. Love the bathroom the best. The front desk staff were very friendly.

Good value

The only improvement I could think of would be to replace the Styrofoam coffee cups with paper hot/cold cups. Since there was a microwave in the room, it would have been nice to be able to re-heat my coffee.

The value for the hotel wasp pretty good. The room was excellent. Loved the bath especially! The beds were comfortable. The window looked out onto a parking lot but we weren't there for the view ;-)

Better than expected...

The breakfast was not my favorite.....

The staff was great, super helpful and friendly.....the hotel is relatively close(walking distance) to the main restaurants /bars of the city...

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Convenient if visiting Caltech and surroundings.

Wifi was not so good. The price it's quite high. The pool could have been cleaner.

The bed was very comfortable. Clean. The washing machine and the drier were ok. Bath facilities. Good mexican restaurant nearby.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

modern rooms close to caltech

Breakfast room quite small. People were waiting for our table. Although the rooms are updated and very nice, it does still have the layout and feel of an old motel.

Rooms have been recently modernized. Basic breakfast included. Just a couple of blocks from CALTECH, and maybe 10 blocks from downtown/oldtown. Lots of free parking. This end of town use to be a bit gritty but is completely clean and safe now.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Best value at the Vagabond Inn in Pasadena

The pillows were especially wonderful! Comfortable bed. Lovely staff! Available breakfast just perfect! We have been to Vagabond Inn before and would likely return if in the area.