Reviews of Vagabond Inn San Diego Airport/Marina 2 stars

1325 Scott Street, Point Loma, San Diego, CA 92106, USA

#176 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Nice

I like the new air unit, we had to get help to get it turned on.The front desk man was super helpful. He help me with my boarding passes too. I give that man a A+. He was the evening desk guy. Thanks BARBARA

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Michael living it up in San Diego while staying at the Vagabond Inn Marina San Diego excellent

Everything was great excellent locations great restaurants all over the place really close by

Everything was great check in was nice room was clean the bed was comfy great great location I love San Diego I'd recommend the Vagabond Inn to anyone had an awesome stay had an awesome time

Michael living it up in San Diego while staying at the Vagabond Inn

Every was great

Everything was great perfect location location room was clean great value for the price plenty of fishing deep sea plenty of restaurants had a great time would recommend Vagabond Inn San Diego Marina to anyone

Kitchenette was awesome

The location, the rooms, the continental breakfast in the morning, the price. Everything was awesome. Don’t let the appearance of this marina-side hotel deter you from staying here. The rooms are wonderful on the inside. They even have a few rooms with a kitchenette that is stocked with plates, cups, bowls, wine glasses, a small fry pan, and a small sauce pan. Very convenient. However, the area is surrounded by good restaurants and bars, so cooking may not be your favorite option, but it’s nice to have.

Overall good breakfast good room perfect for our five days day

They had everything that we needed. Me and my family stayed there my children are ages 13 and 11 and 6 It was everything we needed to stay for our five day vacation the breakfast wasn’t what I wanted but They served was. Toast, bagels, oatmeal, raisin bran, yogurt they had juice milk and fresh coffee. Overall you had a good experience and would recommend this place to others. I love tell fisherman landing was right behind the hotel and I could grab my coffee in the morning and just walk over to the dock. If you’re looking for bacon and eggs and sausage there’s a Denny’s down the street but this was perfect for our family

Location Location Location

My wife is a flight attendant, and we regularly use hotels near the airport in San Diego. This is our favorite spot. The location is unbeatable for the price. It’s literally right next to the harbor; and walking distance to a few great restaurants and bars. I was skeptical at first sight of the main building; but I was pleasantly surprised to walk into a very nice, very clean room. The bathroom was very clean and stocked as well. To top it off, we get a quick free breakfast on our way to the airport.

Dirty & run down

It was completely different then what I was expecting, the quality of the hotel online is so much better then in real life... This place is filthy... Real bummer... The man at check in seemed to be irritated & so unwelcoming.

The beds were comfortable & the lady at check out was friendly.

Overnight stay prior to flying to another state, very comfortable stay.

This did not affect our stay however to make the accommodation more appealing I would suggest that the curtains/nets need up dating, could do with updating the room furniture, flooring and lighting. Needless to say the room was clean.

The hotel was having some maintenance done and they rang ahead to let us know what the situation was. There had been a leak however they had fixed it so had cosmetic issues in the room. We were fine with it as we were alerted beforehand. The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was clean and the towels were nice and fluffy. The bedding was spotless. Overall great stay.

great location

Breakfast had nothing hot, other than the coffee. The breakfast room had no tables and only 2 chairs, so you have to carry your food back to your room, or sit a one of 3 tables on the pool deck.

The property is very dated, but the location is fantastic.

room was nice and spacious, breakfast was fine, always free...

My bad rating of the stuff goes to the woman on the reception desk. She was extremely rude for someone who works in hoteling industry. I had a late flight so I asked if I can use their batroom and some space to change my clothes (since I planned to be the whole day at the beach). She denied with the explanation of liability issues (??) for allowing their guessts to reach restroom... I paid that hotel fairly, at least you can allow me to use the restroom, eventhough its not the guesst restroom (there is no guesst restroom)... very very rude and not human after all.. what if I needed toilet urgently?? However, the guy in the latter shifft allowed me to come to the restroom without any problems.. He is very kind and professional! so I hope you will avoid dealing with this unpleasant lady!

room was nice and spacious, breakfast was fine, always free coffee and a tea. The guy who is a staff member (reception) was very very nice!

Best Value Motel in California!!

There is nothing not to like

Everything about this motel was excellent. Certainly the best value place we stayed in during our 3 week tour of CA. Good size room, comfortable bed, high level AC, nice shower, fluffy towels, nice warm pool with pool towels, loungers, table, seats and flowers, good breakfast, (can eat around the pool) great location next to the Marina at Point Lomas, right next to a low price fish restaurant, 20mins from downtown SD, the USS Midway and the Zoo and 10 mins from the airport AND cheap; what is not too like!!

The location was perfect for a budget inn, sitting right on...

Really outdated interior but didn’t matter much, in SD not really in the room much other than shower and 8hr sleep time.

The location was perfect for a budget inn, sitting right on the bay next to some great seafood

Joshua very helpful and maintenance.

Mildew and mold Water leaks from tub to downstairs office. Not a new problem reportedly for five years. Some cleaners were very rude.

Heated pool and bed Responsive a/c

A nice place for the value.

There aren’t want wall outlets near the bed and all the others are on a timer so it’s impossible to charge devices, especially before an international flight. Also, some of the guests were noisy during the night.

The bed was extremely comfortable

It worked for us because of the fishing charter we were taking the next day!

The buildings and amenities are old and in need of an update! I will give them a plus for the cleanliness of the room. This location seems to be more for someone with no frills and possibly for workers needing clean accommodations. Not a vacation destination. Surprised at the homeless in the area. It seems to have increased.

Old facility needs update. The hotel was clean but very old. location is what was great right near the fishing pier. If you are going to charge a premium rate on the weekend it should reflect in the amenities.

I chose the place due to location--close to the airport and...

I chose the place due to location--close to the airport and Point Loma in a less hectic part of San Diego. The room was very comfortable, spacious, and clean; it had a large window that provided a lot of natural light. The TV was great--HD with scores of channels to choose from.

Good motel at fair price.

It is on a busy street with some traffic noise, but not too bad.

The location is good, staff were nice at check in, the room was clean. Staff were responsive to fixing a broken shower head. It was great to have a frige, microwave and coffee maker. This a basic motel at a good price. Close to restaurants and bars in Point Loma and beautiful Shelter Island.

I enjoyed my stay and staff was great! Would stay again.

Wasn't informed that the pool heater was broken before booking that is one of the reason I booked for my daughters. Disappointed wanted to swin late. Ice machine broken.

I really like the breakfast. Lots, of goodies to choose from my kids were satisfied. Was expecting pastries and coffee, but they had cereals,yourgut,pastries,oatmeal...

Overall, I like the room and the location. I would stay again.

Designated smoking area was too close to the room. Maybe they can do away with smoking on the property all together. Also, it got a bit noisy, but that isn't the hotel's fault. Just rude and inconsiderate guests. Thank goodness I had earplugs.

Floors in the picture looks carpeted. We had wood or linoleum floor which could use replacement. Not a big issue for me though.

The hotel was very dated. Carpet filthy. Turned our feet black. Furniture tacky to the touch and dirty.. very disappointing.. kids couldn’t play on the carpet.. disgusting. Breakfast was on a table in the very small lobby.. had to try and fit food for 4 on a very small tray to take back up to room.. no seating anywhere.. we did not eat breakfast the second day.. staff not friendly and not helpful at all.. the beds were comfortable and appeared clean, but with the dirt everywhere else in the room, not a very comfortable stay.. the ONLY thing good about this place is the location.. I have stayed at Vagabond Inns many times in Palm Springs, and was very upset that I brought my family for a wonderful weekend and had to stay in these conditions..

Nice room for your money.

Parking wasn't great, pretty tight spaces, and only 1 handicap spot.

the bed was soft and comfy. close to the marina. great little bar across the street too.

Expected a lower quality of accommodation for the price but was VERY pleasantly surprised.

Small room but lots of usual amenities & very, very clean. Front desk staff said downstairs where I stayed had recently been remodeled & the upstairs was soon to be as well.

Good place to sleep

The carpets need to be shampooed but they were vacuumed.

Conveniently located, it was clean and breakfast was grab and go. The reviews were pretty much on target.

I liked the location to the airport;

I liked the location to the airport; rooms are clean, comfortable and are equipped with all the necessities; staff is always accomodating and helpful.

stellar

good question

Second stay and both for trips for deep sea fishing. The closeness to the dock makes your place the best as I have a lot of gear. Day front desk and graveyard staff both fantastic.

was great location, great price .

only concern was strong bleach smell in room and with windows open lots of noise all night from parking lot and fishing boats coming in.

was great location, great price ..perfect for the one night and convenience to airport! Also close to great restaurants in walking distance and bay walk.

not much else to say get better front staff

front desk staff not friendly breakfast was 30 min. late both days not open at 6 like they say outside dirty and needs a lot of repairs

close to boat i had to get on to go fishing

front desk staff one outside playing with his hair a lot...

front desk staff one outside playing with his hair a lot they coffee, juice don't show up till 6:30 not 6 am they are not front desk folks stayed 2 nights total staff was the same just lazy

The price was waaaaaaaaay to high for this place.

The price was waaaaaaaaay to high for this place. We stayed in a strange hallway room that had a dark entrance. The carpet was kinda yucky but the bathrooms were clean and the beds were comfy. The breakfast was sub par, stale pasties and carbs. It was a mediocre room that should have been $150 or less. The location was great right across from the marina, where we fished for a few days

Breakfast was less than continental. Our room had LOTS of water damage. Ashtray was located outside our room so the room was smoke filled at all times. Had to kill lots of cockroaches. Management did nothing about the situation.

I like the bed

Everything but the bed. The experience wasn't bad. I just think that the money is not worth it I could've stay in a better place for the same budget. Just because we needed it we stayed there.

I like the bed

Very comfortable room and all the amenities were working properly.

I will highly recomendarle to put bigger shelves un the bathroom.

The amenities are good, is so clean and not smell. Swimming pool right only the frontdesk girl needs to smile a little bit more.

Great location for a rundown Motel that's what I thought

The wallpaper was feeling off the walls. The bathroom is filthy. The bed was comfortable the TV was a bit old. The only reason to stay here is because it's close to the dock

What was good about the location was that it's right next to getting onto the boat.

You get what you pay for.

Parking was horrible. Loud bar across the street. Hole in the wall in our room. Reservations got messed up so we had one king size bed and a rollaway cot. TV was also messed up and could not use. Air conditioner was old and smelled like mildew so we didn't run it.

Close to everything. Near the harbor.

Great location, old dirty motel.

Dirty room with cobwebs all over, wallpaper peeling, dirty microwave, floor dirty. window and windowsill in bathroom gross with dirt. Pool guy skimmed the leaves off pool but left dirt in bottom of pool! Parking lot hard to get in or out. Cars too close together. Too many other nice hotels in area. Will never go here again and would not recommend to anyone else.

Location was good!

Good hotel

The inn does need an update out ceiling was just puddy over and that's it it wasn't repaired.

Basic breakfast which saves money when on a budget

It was perfect.

It was perfect. Location was awesome for sightseeing. Close to everything. Staff was so accommodating.GREAT place to stay! It fit all our needs. If your a tourist great spot!

Convenient location.

Carpet was dirty, sticky, like someone had spilled soda pop. Could not walk barefoot in the room. Room could use a little better ventilation system.

Convenient location. Close drive to the beach. Small connivence stores and resturants were within a few blocks walking distance. The staff were very friendly and helpful from the front desk, to the maid and even the maintenance man took care of every request.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

The towel in the bathroom was dirty.

The towel in the bathroom was dirty. It looked like someone had wiped them selves, it had BM on it and it was not washed. The receptionist was not going to give me a receipt so I had to ask for it.

If you don't care about quality then that's the place to be.

There was not any cooked breakfast, just cereal, muffins, & bagels. The so called orange juice was horrible. I expected more for the room being $116. I will never stay there again. Rooms are nothing like the pictures.

The location was nice. Accessible to restaurants & stores

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Good value at great location!

The Room was very spacious and clean. Fridge and microwave were great for having some snacks every now and then. TV was a newer model and the WiFi worked perfectly. We stayed for 6 nights and our room was cleaned every day. The whole property was clean and friendly. We didn't use the pool but it looked very good. Great location! Must try is Mitch's seafood restaurant around the corner! Grilled fish sandwiches are awesome! Awesome value. We would always stay there again.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Short trip to visit son.

The entrance to the property was not easy to spot while driving, it is easier to turn the street before and go around the back and into the parking lot. It did not appear to be a lot of parking and the continental breakfast was nothing more than doughnuts.

The price was pretty good and the location to where my son is was very good.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

Zero frills, great location place to stay.

The building itself is old. The carpets are old and are I desperate need of replacement. There is no room for more than 4 people to get a continental breakfast. Very little parking and very cramped.

The location was good. The beds and pillows were great.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Nice hotel, comfortable great value for my dollar.

Not your fault but the weather was cold and rainy

bed was very comfortable, the location to my conference was nice and closes just a 8 minute walk. Quiet at night, close to restaurants

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Good value for money spent.

No counter space in the bathroom and outside noise was moderately audible while inside with the door closed.

The bed was comfortable. A decent place to stay after a New Years Eve night.

Nice location and comfortable room.

The noise from the hallway carried into the room, so it was hard to sleep in the morning. Also, we were next to the laundry/maid room so we could hear the staff talking, as well.

The room and bathroom was very clean, and the goose-down comforter on the bed was nice.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Pet friendly and very clean

No complaints

Great location, clean, good water pressure, FREE wi-fi, breakfast was nice, much better than other hotels we've stayed at in area, great value, luxury bedding, quiet, lots of amenities

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Overall everything OK. A good deal for the price!

The pool is nice, but it is located next to a street, so not really great for relaxing when you can hear and see the cars going by.

This place is overall a very good deal. Staff was always very friendly. They send our postcards away :-) They also offer coffee and tea the whole day long. And they do offer a small breakfast in the morning, which was not mentioned while booking. Its a relative typical american breakfast, bagels, muffins, jam, or cereals, but i think you can not ask for more considering the price. The hotel is right on a street. We could not hear any traffic noise at night though. So it was OK. The hotel's location is far away from San Diego downtown, but you can walk very easily to the coast of shelter island. A few places to get some food and a convenience store are in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

The value met my expectations

My window overlooked the parking lot and fishing area of Point Loma Seafoods. The drapes needed to be completely shut after dusk. The air conditioner was not user friendly/intuitive. Parking difficulties if arriving back later in the evening.

Josh - the swing shift employee was excellent and offered exceptional customer service. The week end person (swings) was also very friendly and hospitable. The morning coffee was hot and flavorful. Thank you for the fridge, WiFi, and hair dryer.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Location/Sleep=Perfect

Place is dated. They dont have smoking rooms! My fishing friend was pissed but hey for the location/price. Go Outside! Ha

Perfect location for the Fishermens/ H&H landing! Club Marina out front and Fishmarket in back. Parking lot full for the landing. Vagabond wasn't full so they let use a space for a low fee!

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Great Location!

When we went for the breakfast there was very little left and did not appear that it would be replenished even though the allotted breakfast time was not over. We found a local place for breakfast instead.

Liked that there was no carpet in the room. The room looked like it had been recently updated. The bed was comfortable and we liked that there were 4 pillows for the king bed. Appreciated having available on site parking. The location was fantastic!

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

10 feet from the sports fishing capital of the world

No complaints, u get what u pay for. 2-3 nights tops...

The rooms were clean,good TV, friendly staff and perfect location. Yes, it's not high end but if u want to hang out at the famous pt. Loma and be 10 steps away from all the action then this place is perfect. Pool was nice as well

Easy access to fishing trip.

We like that is it close to the fishing docks that we ship out of when we book deep sea fishing trips.

Fun Fun Fun

Close to boats

Close to landings and restaraunts

I like the location a lot!

The price was was comparable to places that were more modern and newer.

I like the location a lot! It was right next to the Marina.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Great time with my bff. Hotel location great

No jacuzzi

The bagels were good

Close to the fishing boats

Close to the fishing boats

Very enjoyable.Great location.

Loved the room location. Jorge was excellent staff member. Will stay again.

Stay cation

Does need some cosmetic repairs.

Early check in and later check out.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

perfect location.

great location adjacent to the fishermans landing. i was able to leave my car there while i spent the next day out fishing.

two night stay

needs up grades

Price

Small and old bathroom

Price Position Quiet Small pool Breakfast

Room smelled like mildew. Staff in the morning, not so friendly. Overpriced.

Close to the marina, and several great restaurants

Close to the marina, and several great restaurants

This place is good if you are looking for a place to spend the night before heading out on the boats

ripped curtains and dated decor.

convenience to fishing landings and breakfast included.

Great Stay, beautiful warm weekend!

Rooms are small, but to be expected in such a popular area.

Great Stay, beautiful warm weekend!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

the location was great.

The rooms with carpet on the floor had a smell.

the location was great. The big room with 2 double beds was much nicer than the smaller rooms.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Room nice just needs updates and the area is nice you can't beat the location you can walk to the be

Dated needs remodeling, car heat other people staying here thru the walls. Can hear the traffic passing by.

Area is nice frig, microwave, nice room.

Needs a major update

Needs a major update

Liked being by the Marina

The pool needed to b cleaned dirt at the bottom

Liked being by the Marina

Enjoyable time in San Diego

no Kleenex or list of TV stations

For the prices of the big fancy hotels this motel is good.

Probably won’t go back

For the price; I would of expected a nice room, it was really run down and old

Location was good

Noisy, shower had no pressure.

Noisy, shower had no pressure.

Room quiet, clean and comfortable.

Was unable to connect to the internet. Problem was most likely unsecured host. Do better to insure privacy.

Room quiet, clean and comfortable.

Friendly staff.

Friendly staff. Accommodating with checking in times.