Reviews of Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo 2 stars

210 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405, USA

#23 of 34 hotels in San Luis Obispo

Everything we needed was within easy walking distance, surrounded with beautiful vistas of SLO.

The freeway noise and motorcycles were tolerable, but the management would do well to plan some maintenance with regard to painting the handrails, which were peeling and starting to look shabby.

The view was terrific! You didn't feel entrapped by the location, easy access to shopping and the restaurant below was well placed and within easy walking distance. But, the shower with a view of SLO Mountain was my favorite.

Not worth the $200 price.

Given the price (over $200), the room is worn out. For example, the toilet seat is covered in scratches and marks; the shower did not work very well. Room was hot when we checked in.

Couldn't wait to leave.

Lied about breakfast. Cold Danish does not make a breakfast. Torn bed cover. Old blood stains on sheet which wasn't even fitted on the mattress. Overpriced because kids were moving in to college that weekend. Will never go again.

Overpriced and run down
    • Queen Room

Dirty/stained bed spread. Overall in need of repair. For $180, I expected more than “ motel 8” . The continental breakfast consists of a small packaged danish, orange juice, or coffee

Friendly staff

It was a good value.
    • Queen Room

maybe new bedspreads and sheets.

The most important thing was the cleanliness of the bathroom. Most of the bathroom had been redone with new tile and paint so it looked bright and clean. Some of the old parts were still there but overall was good. We appreciated that they were very dog friendly and also gave a military discount. The grounds were clean and parking great and convenient areas for the dog to roam. Next to I-HOP and Dennys so it was also convenient. (forgot breakfast was included)

Would more likely to stay in the same hotel if I'll be in the area
    • Queen Room

It could have been excellent, but the front desk officer on the morning of my stay (prior to checkout) has poor customer service skills

Value for money. Room is spacious and clean

It was ... “interesting”.
    • Queen Room

It would have been helpful if I didn’t have to pick up after the custodial crew. When I first arrived, I found things left in the room. During my stay, the custodians sometimes left their things in the room. I didn’t mind too much returning their tings to the office. However, it might be helpful if they take their things with them in the future.

The location was convenient.

Brilliant location for a trip up or down highway 1.
    • Queen Room

Nothing not to like here!

Brilliant location for a trip up or down highway 1. Fantastic place to spend a night or 2. Farmers market on a Thursday is awesome. Great town.

Convenient location but a run down hotel

Rooms were not clean - dirty carpet, dead insects, dusty Very poor breakfast No coffee making facilities in the room

Good stopping off point when travelling along Highway One Nice pool and hot tub Convenient location next to a diner and across the road from a large grocery store

Will return!

The wall by the door was all window, almost to the ground, which made my nephew nervous that someone could easily break into our room.

The location and the value.

* Pool was decent

* Terrible Breakfast (For $150.00/Night you'd expect Eggs and Waffles)!! There wasn't even OJ for the kids! * No Coffee Maker in the room

* Pool was decent

I would stay there again in no other choices for similar price available. It was fine for us.

When neighbors shower went on, it was so loud I jumped awake while still asleep. I noticed the same piece of trash on the steps near office ( a cupcake wrapper) the entire two nights we were there. We had 4 people in our room and room had 3 towels. Guess we asked at the wrong time for an extra towel. We eventually had to leave and the towel never showed up within time expected.

There was a nice size refrigerator if needed. It was fairly quite.

Horrible not worth what i paid for,almost die of asthma attack
    • Queen Room

The room smell really bad.I have asthma and couldn't sleep because of the smell of not cleanness. Carpet looks nasty.

Location and the people in front desk was nice,but this hotel needs updates and cleaning service.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

I'd try to find another hotel. May by they are ready for guests with pets more than for us.

Different cleaned rooms. Poor breakfast.

It is a pet friendly property. The first rooms we got, where not clean, the smell of urine was terrible. The second lady at the front desk was helpful, she changed our rooms. Those were OK. Thanks.

Unpleasant - couldn't wait to leave

It was awful. The room smelled so bad. I think it was the grimey carpet that looked it hadn't been cleaned in a decade. We asked for another room and that one was just as bad. There's really nothing good about this place - avoid.

Definately a poor value for an old, tired motel. DId not get a good night's sleep.

Paid well over $100/night for a room with old mattresses, old smoke smell, thin walls where you can hear neighboring conversations, and a "breakfast" that consisted of coffee and small muffins.

Location was in San Luis Obispo.

Get what you pay for. Great location, though.

The carpet was really dirty. The tub had nothing to plug the water with. Got shocked when i had to plug in the microwave which was very difficult The beds were hard. The continental breakfast included only coffee, juice, and a packaged danish.

pool, jacuzzi, dog friendly

Loved how quite it was and very close to everything, the...
    • Queen Room

The first night the smell of the room was not pleasant, it smelled like someone smoked in there and it smelled a little stuffy. Unfortunately I found a bug running across the floor and then one on the sink! Not happy about that! Breakfast was advertised and lets just say that wasn't a breakfast no coffee maker

Loved how quite it was and very close to everything, the pool and hot tub looked really nice didn't get to use it because the hours they closed were way too early for the weekend!

Dogs allowed.

Shower did not function properly. Most water went through faucet down the drain instead of to hand held shower head. Disappointing.

Dogs allowed. Friendly staff.

Very convenient location and reasonable rates. Henry was very informative and friendly
    • Queen Room

Building needs to be painted and landscaping done. Damaged entry to drive under should be removed. Our carpet smelled like someone had brought their cat in.

Coffee, juice and muffins and pastries were good and discount with Dennys next door was great. New bathroom fixtures really help improve an older building. Pool looked very inviting. Next to 101 but it was quiet.

Very nice but some dishonest cleaning crew.
    • Queen Room

We forgot some earrings that where left by the light lamp on the stand on the north side of the bed. My wife called to make a claim to see if the cleaning crew might of turned it in to the front desk but the person on duty claimed the cleaning crew didn't see any earrings so they said my wife was kind of upset thinking by making her having second thoughts about her claim. In All my wife couldn't recover the earrings.

Real nice place to stay and friendly.

Staff was so friendly and helpful.
    • Queen Room

I wiped down the front of bathroom countertops that would have stained my clothes that looked like black mascara or oil. Some bathroom wash clothes were stained with mascara too. I wish there were liners for ice buckets for cleanliness.

Staff was so friendly and helpful. The room was stocked with everything for convenience, plenty of towels, hair dryer, ironing board and iron, luggage stand, refrigerator.

Ok for one night! Should have been about an $80.00 motel night not $141.00!

Hard pillows! Lamp shades were busted in! Looked like someone pulled on the lamps as they seemed to be bent down!Paid to much for the overall condition of the room! No coffee maker in the room! I can not recommend this motel!

Not a lot!

"BREAKFAST NOT INCLUDED!"

Description on booking.com indicated breakfast included. I do not consider a small unappealing Apple and a small prepackaged mini danish or muffin breakfast. One of the main criteria I use when picking a place is whether breakfast is served. Past stays that I have booked in which "breakfast" was served had a variety of breakfast items, eggs, meat, waffles, cereal, juices, pastries, etc. I was extremely dissapointed.

The handicap access was room was spacious and easy to get around in.

Very disapointed.
    • Queen Room

It was not clean and in need of repair. Beds were uncomfortable, I could feel the bed springs. The bathroom was in need of a good scrubbing. Carpet was dirty etc.

There was nothing about this place I liked. They shouldn't advertise any kind of breakfast, it was small stale muffins and a coffee machine.

Price.

Beds were old, stiff and squeaky. Entrance, exit from road was inconvenient. TV was small and beat up.

Price. Parking. Clean. Quiet. Close to restaurant.

Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo is a great value !

The Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo is a comfortable, clean hotel with off-street parking, good coffee in the lobby, and a nice clean pool. It's just off the 101 freeway (you don't hear the freeway noise). It's not an ultra-posh, 5-star hotel and that's reflected in the reasonable price. I would and will stay there again. Thank you, Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo!

We arrived after midnight and the gentleman who checked us in couldn't have been kinder or more accommodating. He asked if we'd prefer a late check-out because we arrived so late. We declined because of our schedule but it was really nice that he anticipated our (potential) needs. I really like this place.

Loved it.

The outlets were very loose. Plugs would not stay in.

Beds were comfortable. Room was clean. Friendly staff. Great area. Next to Dennys Resturant, I Hop, Mc Donalds. Ralphs Market across the street. Big shopping center across the street. Close to Downtown SLO.

Had to get up early the workers asked me to move my car!

They started a landscaping job right in front of our room 7:30 in the morning. Shoveling rock and dirt 4 guys making a lot of noise . the hotel host said he couldn't stop the work, Wayne was less then helpful!

Clean rooms location

Ok
    • Queen Room

The microwave plate belonged probably to a different microwave and was therefore a bit wobbly (but still usable). The shower courtain was mouldy. Breakfast was suppored to be included, but while drink (coffee/tea and juice) were available, in terme of foor there was only a choice of two tipes of packaged pastries and there is no breakfast room to sit in.

We arrived slightly in advance and they kindly let us check in early. Car park in front of the room. The room had everything we needed: fridge, coffee machine, microwave, hair drier, ironing equipment. Spacious room.

I would recommend against staying at this hotel.

Wi-fi internet did not work when we first arrived. Response from husband and wife staff at hotel to my wife: "Your phone is too old." They went on to explain to her that she did not know how to utilize the wi-fi. Rooms need to be renovated-chipped paint on the walls and in the bathroom, dated bedspreads, moldy bathstall. Beds and pillows are uncomfortable. Breakfast is non-existent-apples, pre packaged Danishes/muffins, coffee and orange juice do not constitute breakfast.

Price compared to rest of the hotels in the area at the time I was visiting.

Despite the locked pool area, we have found this hotel to be our choice among others.
    • Queen Room

This the 2nd time we have stayed, and both times, the gate to the pool area was padlocked well past open hours in the morning (Like over an hour past when it was supposed to be open). Both times we had to go down to the lobby in our swimsuits and wait for them to have someone come and unlock it.

Spa available! 10% off on nearby Denny's was a nice perk.

Clean place, but horrible front office person.

This is the first time where a hotel charged me before I checked out. I wanted to split the cost with my friend, which we have been able to do at three other hotels in the area and the staff said no. The payment is already done. I was shocked. We told them that had we known that we would have put two cards on the bill when we checked in. The staff member made a copy of the bill and handed it to my friend and did not say a word to us. We informed her that it should have been made known to us when we checked in and still no response. We told her we wouldn't be back and no response.

The room was clean and comfortable.

Nice place to spend the night during a roadtrip
    • Queen Room

The bathroom and interior should be renovated, looks like from the 80s.

Nice and clean rooms, breakfast included. I loved the jacuzzi/hot tub that is open till 10pm. Nice staff as well, always helpful.

Beds were OK

Just coffee and muffins for breakfast (no breakfast room) A bit far for the city center by walk

Beds were OK Clean Swimming pool (but too cold to have a swim) All furnitures in the room Free coffee at the entrance

Good place to stay, Friendly staff well maitained

The room was outdated as in the Blankets and old towels. Furniture was a little worn down.

Loved the location, away from the crowds but close enough for dining and shopping

Location was great.

There was no coffee pot in the room. Had to go to office to get coffee.

Location was great. Denney's restaurant on one side, IHOP restaurant on the other. Both within walking distance. Also close to airport.

Awful.

Carpets had just been cleaned. Wet the entire time. Couldn’t take off shoes. Very unsafe and unpleasant. Hotel should not have rented the room until the carpet was dry.

Good ratio quality/price, comfortable bed

Just disgusting coffee,orange juice and a few snacks is not a breakfast so it is misleading to say it comes with breakfast!

Good ratio quality/price, comfortable bed

Pleasant stay in a clean, quiet motel in the heart of one of our favorite getaway spots.

I get removing coffee makers and coffee from the rooms. As the clerk mentioned, there's the maintenance, messes to clean up and theft of packages. However, many of us don't shower, shave and get fully dressed before having that first cup of coffee. I'd be willing to pay a bit more to have the coffee put back ... perhaps a coffee pot deposit ... leave the pot in working condition and don't leave a huge mess and you get the deposit back. Along the same line, my friend drinks only decaf and she's used to having to ask for that by now. In this case though, no decaf even in the lobby. Coffee at commercial prices isn't horribly expensive, so why not a pot of decaf or at least a good quality instant?

The rooms were clean and the area was quiet. We like this location because it's in close proximity to the beach cities, wineries and San Luis Obispo. Working refrigerator and microwave are great for in-room snacks and that chilled bottle you brought back from the tasting. Bathroom was clean and everything worked and they had soap, something some motels have stopped including.

Close to highway 101, only 10min drive to Pismo Beach.

Same price as some hotels that are walking distance to the beach.

Close to highway 101, only 10min drive to Pismo Beach. The king size bed was very comfortable. 20% discount at Denny’s.

6.0
    Location was very good

The facility needs maintenance and some upgrades; beds are sagging, paint is pealing, microwave and cooler were very old. Bedspread did not feel or smell clean. Shower head dripped. Pets are apparently allowed in all rooms which has adversely affected their condition and the sense of cleanliness. WiFi was nearly unusable. TV did not include any apparent menu making program searches difficult

Location was very good

Certainly not the fanciest, but perfect for our needs - both...

Certainly not the fanciest, but perfect for our needs - both location (near the marathon, which members of our group were running), and the fact that we were traveling with pets. The room is basic and fine, but needs a bit of updating and the sink drain was painfully slow.

Rooms smell old, boxspring is stained.
    • Queen Room

Rooms smell old, boxspring is stained. Two lamps didn't work, tv didn't work, fridge was leaking onto the carpet. Ac is blocked by a wall and never cooled down the room. Not worth the price at all. Just an awful place to stay.

just fine
    • Queen Room

Breakfast was really bad (not much option, just coffee, juice and 2 kinds of pastries, no fruits, no iogurt, no water). Was not a confortable room at all.

The room was big.

I would find a better place to stay.

The room was pretty gross over all. Looked like blood stains in the carpet. I was actually afraid to touch anything. The wifi didn't work. The bedding is pretty much a sheet and a very thin blanket so I was freezing at night. Didn't seem like the coverlet had been washed for a while. I've stayed at nicer places for 1/3 of the price.

I liked the location. It was close to all of the necessities. And parking was great!

Bed was comfy.
    • Queen Room

No fitted sheet on bed so if you move around a lot, the sheet doesn’t stay on very well. Awful soap. Sheets and towels were clean but carpet was gross.

Bed was comfy. Location decent. Room felt spacious due to extra space with sink.

Cheap but probably won't stay here again.

Everything is very run down and needs to be replaced like bedding, carpet, chair, furniture, everything in bathroom, and heater. No thermostat in room so couldn't set temp of room (heater is either on or off).

The price was excellent. The room was very clean. The location was convenient for Cal Poly.

Adequate for my needs. Close to places like Denny's, Starbucks, McDonalds as well as the Madonna Inn
    • Queen Room

Room was cold at night and the heater/cooler was located too high on the wall for me to reach.

Breakfast is simply juice and apples, sweet roll and coffee. Room was adequate but dated. Lacking in electrical outlets for the teckies, but O K for my needs. Well located on Madonna Ave. and met my needs for the 2 nights.

location!
    • Queen Room

the mattress is too old! could feel springs on my back. bathroom toilet was dirty. smelled like too much cleaning spray! Needs to be updated!

location!

I had based my choice on bringing our dog.

I had based my choice on bringing our dog. When I checked in I was asked to check that I had no animals. Fortunately our dog was able to stay with a friend.

We always have fun together (grandchild and gma). SLO has lots to do and we went to Madonna Inn for
    • Queen Room

I found a soda top under the bed and dirty towels left in bathroom. So I felt like my bed sheets were not changed and ordered another set.

Swimming/sauna was for my granddaughter. She was happy. The showers were hot and wonderful.

For the price not bad .lighting was the only real issue.

The lighting in our room was very dim. The lights between the beds did not function well. One did not work the other could only be turned on and off by plugging and unplugging from the wall.

They paid attention to my special request to be on the ground floor near the spa. Great! Beds were perfect soft and firm. I have serious back issues and they were wonderful after a long drive. The clerk was very informative about local activities and dinning.

The stay was ok for a brief stay, only stayed 1 night.

The room smelled, the shower curtain had mold on it,the air conditioned only reached a mall area not where you were sleeping, and the breakfast muffins were not good. There was a ticking noise , I think it was the refrigerator.

The price was fair. The hotel outside was quiet, we were able to sleep. The orange juice and coffee was good. Denny's restaurant next door.

100% horrible experience. Would not even recommend to my worst enemy.
    • Queen Room

We checked into the hotel, the second we walked into our room we started having issues. The toilet wasn’t working, the door to the mini fridge FELL off when we opened it. We decided to go get lunch in downtown SLO before a business meeting (the only reason we were in town) and when we got back to the room our keys didn’t work... we called the front desk, and they told us to come get new keys. Once we returned to our room with new keys, they didn’t work either.. back to the front desk we go, to find out that our door was broken... we had thounds of dollads worth of gear and equipment in our room that we needed to get for our meeting (which at this point started in 35 minutes.) we were told that we would have to wait to get someone to the room to fix the broken door. It took about 40 minutes for the manager to come and fix the door, and at that point we were already late and pretty annoyed! THEN the manager had the audacity to tell my husband that it was OUR fault for being late to our meeting....... HORRIBLE customer service, the manager was completely rude, and told us that he doesn’t really care.. To top it all off, they then tired to charge us an 85$ fee for the door, which was their fault for not maintaining properly. We got back from our meeting, and the main lights in the hotel burnt out, so we had to spend the rest of our night using the bathroom light. We are extremely easy going people, it wasn’t the fact that all of these things went wrong because things do happen. It was the way the hotel management handled the whole situation. They made us feel like we were burdens for wanting our door to be opened. There are plenty of hotels to stay in SLO, please don’t waste your time here.

The hot tub was the only positive thing about this hotel.

It was perfect for what we needed, Just a place to sleep a few hours.

The Fitted sheet on the beds were not fitted just a sheet draped across the mattress so if you moved at all at night you would wake up lying directly on the mattress.

The parking was amazing and the Staff were friendly

Decent, friendly, no frills.
    • Queen Room

Carpet was vacuumed but turned my socks black. Shower curtain leaked water outside of the rob or clung to your skinny. Not enough plugs for technology

Clean sheets and a shower.

I like the staff, facility is OK, but not clean. Most likely we will not come back at this Inn.

I had feeling, they didn't change bed since previous customer... The bed was clean but not fresh, at least one of two. More over, the empty Macdonald's box was there :(((((

Vagabond SLO is Poor

Poor cleanliness, poor door locks when exiting room. Took many tries to get door to lock so we could go to dinner. Locks ok when retiring for night. This property used to be good many years ago but I wouldn't stay here again.

Not much

The shower was broken.
    • Queen Room

The shower was broken. We couldn’t hook anything up to the tv. There’s hardly any light in the room. Pillows weren’t nice at all, they were flimsy and lumpy. Stains on the bedsheets and whatnot.

Reasonable and adequate for a good night's sleep.
    • Queen Room

Spots on rug. Bathroom sink drained slowly. Breakfast was coffee, tea, orange juice and muffins/sweet rolls, highly caloric.

Bathroom very clean.

Good price for the location, and only staying 1 night.
    • Queen Room

the bed was hard and the pillows were uncomfortable. Also the cable kept going out.

Great location for day trips to Pismo & Morro Bay. Close to shopping and restaurants.

No rest for the weary
    • Queen Room

Bed was very uncomfortable and collapsed inward in the middle. Mattress needs replacing. Table wobbled. Refrigerator was too noisy. Wireless internet was weak, insecure, and essentially pointless.

Clean. Nice location. Water pressure in the shower was good. 20% at Denny's next door was a plus.

Hairdryer, bed was comfortable, light sensor in bathroom,...
    • Queen Room

Trouble manuvering TV remote. Also TV reception and/or resolution. Could have used an extra blanket to keep warm.

Hairdryer, bed was comfortable, light sensor in bathroom, shower, toilet and plenty of towels to use.

clean, big rooms; great Danny's discount next door, nice hot tub
    • Queen Room

almost no breakfast (bad coffee and only a few sweet biscuits), sometimes unfriendly staff at front desk, rather difficult check-in (booked 2 rooms through one booking.com account, but needed two different IDs to check-in)

walking distance to restaurants, as well as Madonna Inn. 20% discount on food at Danny's next door which is a great deal; nice hot tub area which was also to be used during off season (we visited in January), generally recommended for a short stay

Nice stay and price.
    • Queen Room

You can hear all your neighbors had to get 2 double beds since the beds seem small. Called a queen room but not really. Breakfast not really much of s breakfast.

Easy location to get around, good price, clean. They were very accommodating on switching from 1 bed to 2 beds in the room

Very disappointing. Third time here. This by far the worst. Won’t stay here anymore.
    • Queen Room

Cockroach in room. Caulking around sink very dirty. Some lights not working. SEVERAL rips in curtains. Didn’t see but three cars there ; but had last room ; farthest from office.

Not much.

OK for the price, but could be better for the same price.
    • Queen Room

The room had a weird chemical smell, possibly to cover up a previous smoker (this was a non-smoking room). Front carpet dirty. TV cable connection was permanently set to "stretch." Breakfast "buffet" is just coffee, powdered creamer, some juice and prepackaged "danish."

The location of our room was on a hillside - not all rooms are, though. PLENTY of firm pillows. Also, you can open the windows for fresh air. Convenient to major shopping/restaurant center across the street..

Thankfully short

The room was so dirty. The building and rooms were so old and in need of remodel. Chipping paint, filthy carpet, lamp shades rusting and splattered with an unknown sticky substance. Hard beds. Fraying, old linens. Towels so small and thin you needed multiple to dry off. Pillows with barely any stuffing. Not enough plugins in the room. Literally had to pull out and unplug the mini fridge in order to plug in the microwave for use. Housekeeping could barely speak English so requesting additional pillows, towels, blankets was difficult.

The only thing about this hotel that was a plus was the location.

just ok !
    • Queen Room

The bedding and especially the pillows were mediocre at best. The pillow was very stiff and seemed old. There was a large stain on the carpet just inside the door to the room.

Staff was friendly, let us check in early

Second room I got made my stay acceptable.
    • Queen Room

First room I got had hair on sheets and possible bed bug droppings.Demanded another room,a lot better!Flat screen also was full picture(first room had borders and snowy picture).

Spacious rooms for price.

It was adequate for a one night stay but not luxurious.
    • Queen Room

Bed was not comfortable and I would prefer a white washable bedspread over the old fashioned heavy print covers that may or may not get washed frequently.

Refrigerator and microwave, hairdryer and ironing board. 20% discount at Denny’s was helpful since it is right next door.

The stay was good nice people over there love being in a clean place

Everything was good

The people there was real respectful and nice and I would recommend my family and friends to stay there at anytime good place to stay at thank you very much have a bless day

Not having a good night sleep

We heard everything what other people do or talk on the other room. Its very bad, we heard word by word. Hotel does not have insulation???? This is very critical for people choose a place for rest.

Parking is good, location is good (close to restaurant and stores)

I knew it wasnt going to be 5 star due to the price, compared to all the other places in the area..

The landscaping was a little unkept. huge hole under the sidewalk outside the room.. squirrels where coming in and out of it... was glad it just wasnt a snake den.

Only was there for the nite.. had to get going early in the morning... no breakfast avail when we left @7am