Reviews of Americas Best Value Inn - Ukiah 2 stars

601 Talmage Road, Ukiah, CA 95482, USA

#9 of 12 hotels in Ukiah

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Only stay if you are desperate!
    • One Queen Bed Smoking

I got stuck in a smoking room which may have been my fault. The room itself was pretty run down. I never removed my socks or sneakers cause the carpet was HIDEOUS. I slept under one sheet cause nothing about the room looked really clean. Overall, I would only recommend this place if you are desperate. I would not recommend this place for families. My key card stopped working after a few times of entering the room. The staff said I should keep it away from my phone. I made a few trips in the morning and kept the card away from my phone and alas, it stopped working after 3 entries...luckily I had already removed all my stuff but I usually do one final run through to confirm I got everything. I didn't bother getting the card fixed again. I just left.

Not much besides the area it's located in.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Ok

See above

Price was ok, but when I decided to chose this property it was because the America’s best website said the ukiah property has a relaxing pool and hot tub. The front desk said they removed that from websites but you missed one. Would have appreciated a better price due to no relaxing hot tub.

With the exceptions mentioned above I was pleasantly surprised all in all
    • One Queen Bed Non-Smoking

very thin walls, The neighbors were up and loud a good percent of the night I requested a downstairs room because of an older pet who has difficulty with stairs and was told that the special rate I was give would only apply to the queen beds upstairs and I ended up paying ten dollar more for a king downstairs. I was told there were no queen beds downstairs. This seemed strange and rather odd that dog rooms would not be downstairs.

The manager and wife -very helpful and cordial; The spaciousness of the room; The comfort of the bed;The fridge and microwave. t

Overnight in Ukiah
    • One King Bed Non-Smoking

Man at the desk was very unemotional, never smiled, just did what he was supposed to do, with no welcome. Bed was VERY hard. Didn't stay for breakfast. Seemed kind of expensive for what you got, especially paying over $100 for a rock hard uncomfortable bed.

Room was very neat and clean, fresh sheets, and blankets. Everything was fresh, and dust free, and all appliances worked.

Easy access from 101
    • One Queen Bed Non-Smoking

The room was definitely an older one and had some cosmetic flaws, but it was clean enough for a one night stay.

This hotel had easy access from Route 101. It wasn't fancy, but it served my needs for a one night stay. The owner was helpful in giving directions to a local store where I could purchase needed items, and the drive to the downtown area was easy for finding a great restaurant - Ukiah Brewing.

Passable
    • King Room - Smoking

Not much choice for breakfast. The lady who checked us in wasn't very welcoming.

The room was quite big. A bit dated but clean. The pool was nice but the sun beds, tables & chairs were filthy. Had to clean them before I sat down

Just slept in the sheets only and left asap in the morning. The shower was to gross to use. #165
    • King Room - Smoking

The room was dirty, carpet especially. Holes in bedspread and blanket. Towel bar broken completely off in bathroom. Cracks in the ceiling and spiders. Very overpriced at $180/night, should have been more like &39/night.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Okay for money

No breakfast

Basic motel for the money. Staff pleasant and helpful. Deposit for pet was okay, but only motel out of eight on this trip that charges a fee and a deposit.

Minimally adequate
    • One Queen Bed Smoking

Very outdated, name scratched on bathroom door, air conditioning not adequate, sorely in need of upkeep, carpet, furniture, microwave should be in a museum

A handy motel when travelling North or South.
    • One King Bed Non-Smoking

The bathroom was showing signs of age.

We arrived quite late in the evening so were offered one of the disabled rooms. It was very spacious with coffee making facilities, a fridge and modern television. The gentleman on the reception was very helpful. We were close to the freeway but you were not disturbed by road noise at night. A few restaurants nearby to choose from.

Best place to stay in Ukiah.
    • Standard Queen Room

This is truly the best value in Ukiah. Very comfortable bed and the a/c worked great, which was wonderful because it gets rather hot in Ukiah in July. Very friendly staff who will accommodate your needs. Easy to get to because it's right off I-101 and next door is a gas station with good prices (for Northern California). Highly recommend this motel!

Would be very happy to stay here again!
    • Standard Queen Room

Comfortable and reasonable price and quiet
    • One Queen Bed Non-Smoking

The pool was accessible except by a key which was not available because only one (new) employee was busy & overwhelmed at front desk. It was a Saturday, too-so he was busy. He was trying but alone and needed support.

The coffee in-room and comfy bed and good shower and clean room plus the little breakfast made this a good stop for us.

Quite and clean room with beautiful clean pool
    • One Queen Bed Non-Smoking

Ceiling looks like it's going to fall down even though it was patched

Hotel in the middle of renovation, l think it will be nice once it's finished. Ukiah need nicer hotels

Neat, clean, friendly
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Pretty thin walls and floors, we heard everything our neighbors said. The management can't really do anything about that though, they were great.

Clean, neat, convenient. The value was a little weak, we booked late on the same day in a holiday weekend, so I understand that, but still $165 for a budget property is high. The manager was very helpful with some spotty WiFi.

An economy version for the short stay
    • Standard Queen Room

it was a bit noisy from the highway.

Large parking, big room, hairdryer and a ironing board. The staff was friendly, the bed was comfortable, the internet was fast.

Glad I stopped! Half the price of rooms in wine country.
    • Standard King Room

Non-smoking room with a cigarette trash can right outside the door - the trash can could be smelled from inside our room - yuk!

This was the cheapest room north of wine country. Parked right outside of room. a nice table and chair to work at. The room was non smoking and it smelled clean

Horrible will never stay here again
    • Standard Double Queen Room

I didn't like how they didn't tell us that they were under construction and the people working on the roof were there until about 9:30 with their loud music banging on the ceiling above us and then they started at 7 in the morning everybody was still sleeping. Woken up to loud footsteps and banging and saws in the morning Wi-Fi I didn't work cable channels were horrible an and the lady tried to charge me more when I told her I wanted a non-smoking room when I already booked a non-smoking room

There was nothing that I liked about this property

Inconveniences
    • Standard Queen Room

The sink faucet leaked. The light at the door inside the room wasn't working. There was no outlet near the microwave for you to plug in to use the microwave. The night stand was dusty.

Bottom line – I would NOT recommend this place to anybody.
    • Standard Queen Room

As far as negative - I don't know where to start. At the check in they offered me a King room (I booked a Queen room, so this should be an improvement, right?). After discussing this for few minutes they realized they didn’t have any King rooms available, so we ended up in Queen. The room smelled OLD. Wallpaper was torn off; ceiling looked like it was going to drop on us any minute; bath tub, toilet seat and sink were shipped off. The carpet was dirty. Another thing – pillows. First of all, can somebody explain to me this logic – to have THREE pillows for TWO people? Do they want to start family feud? But seriously – those clumpy pillows are torture tools.

If you are on a road and need to stop for a nigh without any big expectations, this might be the place. It's very close to the freeway and next to a gas station with reasonable prices. By the way, the coffee on that gas station is really good - I recommend it, especially considering that hotel doesn't serve breakfast.

We were passing thru and it was so convenient ....lots of restaurants close by. Gorgeous area.
    • Standard Queen Room

Very clean, comfortable bed, essentials (blow dryer, soap, ironing brd, iron, GD size frig and tv). Very açomodating on late check ins. Obvious that owners do alot of work on the place. And there is a nice pool which at this price was surprising.

The staff was very friendly however the room needs to be...
    • Standard Double Queen Room

The extra charge because it was a double bed and there was only three of us. A double bedded room sleeps 4 people. You should not be charged more just because there are three people. The room was only worth about $45 . I only chose to stay because of the location to my families home

The staff was very friendly however the room needs to be updated. The bed spreads are dated as well as furniture. The price wasn’t too bad however again the room needs newer bedding and such. And if you have three people in double bedded room you get charged more. There were three of us in a doubled bedded room and I was charged extra for that reason. The room should be able to sleep 4. It’s totaly ridiculous to charge more for only three people.

Nothing to write about.
    • Standard Queen Room

Had to wait 20 minutes before someone to check me in. I would have left for another motel but would of had a one night penalty.

Good location, for my needs.

YUK plain YUK couldnt wait to leave
    • Standard Queen Room

I would like booking.com to check these places out more thoroughly.

The Place is definitely below my expectation. 1 towel per person. I have hair and like to have 2 towels. Rooms look like a 3rd World Country. Being charged $50.00 deposit unacceptable that's why I use a credit card. Breakfast was garbage. I would not suggest of recommend this to anybody!!!

Very good except for the breafact and the wifi connection not working for me.
    • Standard Queen Room

The breakfast offered turned out to be nothing like the photos on the Motel web page. Apples were the only fruit offered, individually packaged pastries that didn't look fresh, a loaf of bread for toasting, two kinds of sugar coatedcereal. The coffee, weak, and tasteless. Two small refrigerator with a gallon of milk and a gallon or OJ...serve you're self. Very disappointed with this. Also, difficult to connect to the WiFi.

The room was cozy, clean, as was the bathroom. The handicap tub set up was really good as were the extra bars around the toilet/

If the bed had been comfortable and there had been decent breakfast it would have been ok.
    • Standard King Room

Room needed updating. Bed not very comfortable. No breakfast. This was the worst 'breakfast' offering I've ever seen. So we had to take time to go into town and look for a restaurant and eat there before we could continue on. Breakfast offered included: 1 Apple, partial jug of reduced-fat milk, two bins generic cereal, prepackaged sweet role, 1 thermos coffee, loaf wonder bread. Pool not heated.

Water was hot right away. Location was easy off/on freeway

I didn't like when I got there they had no reservation...
    • Standard Queen Room

I didn't like when I got there they had no reservation for me through Booking.com and they said that wasn't the first I was lucky that they had a room and they gave it to me at a lower price than you were going to give me

Good value near the 101 in Ukiah
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

The 'continental breakfast' borders on false advertising. There were two containers of cereal, jugs of milks and apple juice in a small fridge, coffee, and some pre-wrapped danishes. Oh and a bowl of pears. No creamer or anything for the coffee and wonder bread that could be toasted. It really felt like absolutely no care was put into this and the it was advertised on the site.

Right off of the 101; close to some places to eat including In & Out Burger. Room was very nice and beds were comfortable - it is a good value for the price.

This was far from America's best value motel.
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Beware: the breakfast was nothing like the pictures. It was clear the owners are not particularly interested in serving a decent breakfast, they just do it so they can tick that box. There was almost nothing there besides a few extremely sugar-y small danishes wrapped in plastic.

They advertise free wifi but there was no internet...
    • Standard Queen Room

They advertise free wifi but there was no internet connection. The room was very hot and the air conditioner never did quite cool it off. The dry wall was crumbling off the wall. "Continental Breakfast" was danish, and no milk for cereal.

A decent, friendly place to stay in Ukiah
    • Standard Double Queen Room

The continental breakfast left much to be desired...white sandwich bread!!!! and sugar frosted cereal that we could not eat.

The manager was very accommodating and friendly. She had good recommendations for restaurants in the area.

Great budget hotel.
    • Standard Queen Room

Nothing. It is a great budget hotel that is a good overnight spot. The staff were nice, the rooms clean and appear to be recently renovated, the breakfast was sparse, but can't expect much for the price. We enjoyed our stay and would do it again if we needed a place for a night in that area.

Economical and convenient to 101.

The room we stayed in was absolutely filthy.
    • Standard King Room

The room we stayed in was absolutely filthy. The walls, the door, the carpet etc . were very dirty . We were afraid to touch anything . The bedding was clean so I guess that's what mattered . When we entered the room , it was stifling hot in there . It seems that room wasn't one that was used much. Our adult children traveled with us, and their room was a bit cleaner , thank goodness , because they had our two young grandchildren with them. The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and helpful as to our questions about local places to eat and shop .

Convenience without cleanliness.
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Stained carpet, filthy doors, no screens, air conditioning shut off at midnight and wouldn't turn back on.. Clientele was shady...t.v reception and channel selection were poor...

Location and price

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Don't do it

It was dirty ,black mold everywhere I checked in and checked right back out the worst place ever and I stay in a lot of hotels .was scared to sleep there fir fear of bed bugs

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Breakfast was substandard kids cereal and coffee with gas...
    • Standard Queen Room

Breakfast was disappointing and toilet plugged first time we used it and there was no plunger provided

Breakfast was substandard kids cereal and coffee with gas station pastries

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Basic, clean and quiet. Good place if you're travelling.
    • Standard Queen Room

For the type of hotel, this one is pretty good. It's basic, but clean and comfy. The coffee setup could have been better since there was but one packet in the room. I didn't need or expect a whole lot when stopping here for the night; they exceeded expectations.

This is a basic, any port in a storm hotel. Nothing fancy about the place, but everything very satisfactory. The location is quiet, but less than 1/2 mile away is restaurants, shops and stores. The room I had was basic, but clean. Everything worked. Internet was good. Bed was comfortable. Towels were good quality and plentiful. Good value for the price and a good place to stop overnight if you're travelling.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Meh.
    • Standard Queen Room

"Breakfast" was stale cereal, old packs of sticky buns and the same bowl of apples for an entire week. They also tried to charge us for a service dog, and wanted to speak to my doctor (illegal and violates HIPPA) about my service animal.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

overall clean
    • Standard Queen Room

wallpaper peeling, bed sheets wouldn't stay on bed, stains on carpet, weird knocking/tapping sound all night, no breakfast, even though the listing said it would have complimentary breakfast

overall clean

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Just ok. Not great not terrible.
    • One Queen Bed Non-Smoking

Just ok, breakfast is not worth doing. Room coffee is terrible. Didn't expect much and wasn't dissapointed

Didn't get room I reserved

Didn't get room I reserved

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

No breakfast included.

No breakfast included.

This place was horrible went into room stains on floor wallpaper was peeling off .

Cleanliness

Basic needs taken care of without a hitch.

Worn facility, but still all functional. So no complaints.

Basic needs taken care of without a hitch. All in working order.

The reception was very nice and friendly.
    • One Queen Bed Smoking

The reception was very nice and friendly. The parking area is big. The breakfast is ok better than I expected.

Got a comfortable room and good night's sleep.

No complaints.

Liked the size and cleanliness. Got a good nights sleep. Restaurants with great food close.

Will not use the facility again.

The breakfast

Good toilet paper

I would return if ever in this area again.
    • Standard Queen Room

Clean, comfortable room...very pleased.

pillows poor bed fair used by truckers and constrution crews

above

pillows poor bed fair used by truckers and constrution crews

I wish they would accept discount from my AARP or insurance discount.
    • Standard King Room

I wish it had being a less price.

Friendly.

No clock in room.
    • King Room - Smoking

No clock in room. No breakfast buffet. Power in room went out. Not enough r supplies in room

I would stay here again
    • Standard Double Queen Room

More choices for breakfast, only cold cereal, breads and apples. Along with juice and coffee.

Easy to find, comfortable clean room

The bed was comfortable.
    • Standard Queen Room

The man at the front desk was not very personable considering he works in customer service.

The bed was comfortable. The room was pretty clean.

Friendly and helpful office clerk.
    • Standard Queen Room

Seemed like there had been an animal previously in the room.

Friendly and helpful office clerk.

Nice motel for when you're on the road.
    • Standard Queen Room

Nice motel for when you're on the road. Comfi bed.

Quiet location
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Room was dirty. Dirty walls, dirty sheets. Unclean bathroom. Hotel grounds not well-kept.

Quiet location

Not too much to like.
    • Standard Queen Room

There were no eggs or breakfast. Just a piece of bread and rolls.

Not too much to like. The price was ok.

Comfortable
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

Facility kind of old.

Person at desk was really kind.

Price

Breakfast was very underwhelming, would suggest bagels and...
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Breakfast was very underwhelming, would suggest bagels and muffins instead of cheap flat nasty tasting pastries.

Stag & cleanliness was awesome.
    • Standard King Room

Stag & cleanliness was awesome.

It was fine for one night.
    • Standard Queen Room

Room was hot when we arrived. Took some time to cool down. Bath tub did not drain well.

Found the breakfast room. Locked no breakfast at 8 am

make this your LAST resort when looking in this area...not worth the price
    • Standard King Room

only two very thin towels provided, door was very hard to open...had to hit it hard to open, free breakfast was a JOKE

Somewhat Comfortable
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Microwave did not work and bathroom toilet was backed up in the room

Pool and bed was comfortable

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Convenient location, close to the freeway.
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Convenient location, close to the freeway.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Good value
    • Standard Queen Room

Could use a few up dates

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Pleasant stopover
    • Standard Queen Room

The free breakfast was pretty sparse and disappointing

Room was very clean and roomy ! Bed very comfortable . And quiet

Clean and comfortable affordability.

It was fine.

Clean and pleasant. Basic and affordable.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Cleaning staff is very nice.
    • Standard Queen Room

The breakfast time should be extended at least until 10:00 am on weekends. The bathroom was dirty.

Cleaning staff is very nice.

Quite and convenient
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Breakfest! I found a dry bug she'll in my cereal. Lack of choices.

Location - close to where dad lives. Easy to get to from expressway.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Bed was good and room smelled clean
    • Standard Double Queen Room

Not much for breakfast mold in the bathroom and no hot tub

Bed was good and room smelled clean

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Clean, quiet, and comfortable.
    • Standard Queen Room

Clean, quiet, and comfortable. Nothing extravagant, but it is Ukiah! Got to stop on 101?......As good a place as any.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

Clean and comfortable easy to find right off highway...

Need fitted sheets for the bed

Clean and comfortable easy to find right off highway although google sent us to wrong place sign was easy to see. Would stay again.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2016

The hotel is right off the freeway and next to an AM/PM...

No major complaints. Anything I list would sound like spoiled entitled first-world problems, like I needed to slam the door shut (loudly) because it wouldn't catch properly; the threshold was a couple inches higher than normal, so I kept tripping when entering the room; etc. Hey, it's an updated property -- what do you expect?

The hotel is right off the freeway and next to an AM/PM gas station -- great for that late night nosh. The hotel has been updated, and the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly when I checked in late evening. Everything in the room worked just fine, including the WiFi. Breakfast was continental style without frills, but I'm a fan of cereal, anyway. Fruit looked good and fresh, plus pastries. Access to Ukiah is just across the freeway -- more than walking distance, but far enough away that the hotel is extremely quiet, even with the gas station next door.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2016

The room was clean.

The toilet handle was installed up-side down, made flushing a little harder than it should have been.

The room was clean. I asked for a non-smoking room and the room didn't have that lingering smell of previous smokers.

There are also 40 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.