Reviews of Hotel Vertigo San Francisco 4 stars

940 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA

#108 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

• Double Room with One Double Bed

Location is near the tenderloin which isn’t that safe, the room smelled very stale and the shower really really strong sharp smell although the room was very clean. I actually left two days early and went to stay with friends. But hotels that close to downtown are pricey so if you want a cheaper price and clean hotel then it’s a good choice. I just found it very retro and dated.

Staff were friendly and clean room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great attention to cleaning of our room every day. Front desk staff was gracious, friendly, helpful. This hotel has CHARACTER and yes, I love the music playing in the lobby.

• Double Room with One Double Bed

No in-house breakfast available - not for free; not for purchase.Parking additional which makes it very expensive. They also charge your credit card up front at time of booking without asking.

Very nice setting and very clean. E exceptional staff.

I wish there was air conditioning. But that's just my preference when sleeping. I like a cool room.

The people at the front desk were warm and welcoming.

• Deluxe Queen Room

There was a silverfish in the bathroom (just one, which I saw on the last morning of my stay).

The room had a walk-in closet, so my luggage and clothing were neatly out of the way. Also I had room that faced the courtyard and it was nice and quiet with no street noise. The decorations and the bathroom were very modern.

I walked from the financial district with my bags, didn’t realise it was quite a hike up on Sutter Street from that location. Just to prepare anyone who is getting the bus into San Francisco

A decent hotel, where the attractions were in walking distance. It was a good hotel. Staff were helpful and let you know the parts to avoid

This was a last minute booking for me and my first time at this charming little hotel. Jaime and Jessica were super nice and accommodating, they up graded my room and Gregory was very helpful at checkout

Very overpriced considering the services. Fitness center is not working. No one is there to help you for your luggage. You can easily get a cheaper and better hotel in half a mile radius.

Good location and everything is too central.

• Double Room with One Double Bed

Walls are a bit thin, but it’s an older building. We had some issues with the noise level of our neighbours the first night, but staff had no problem upgrading us to a bigger and better room!

Staff was super friendly, helpful and accommodating. Central location. Clean. Comfy bed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our receptionist when we arrived could have been much more helpful then he was. But overall the staff especially the general manager were very helpful.

It was so centrally located. The room & the bathroom were on the smaller side but just fine and it was clean and comfortable everything worked. It was overall a very pleasant stay.

The lock broke on my room, which was inconvenient (allthough they did give me a new and better room). In the move between rooms, I forgot a bluetooth speaker in that room which was never found again, so I assume somebody from the staff took it.

The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom is amazingly clean and modern.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The location was not what I expected. It was about 5 or 6 blocks to union square, so not as convenient as I expected, and the neighborhood wasn’t the best. Our Uber driver made a big deal about it when she dropped us off, and it wasn’t dangerous necessarily, but it was a bit uncomfortable at times (trash, graffiti, abandoned storefronts) so we didn’t walk around at night. Also no AC and no fan, and only one window opened. It cooled down at night, but it was stangnany and it was rough during the day

It was very clean, and the staff was friendly. I liked that it’s a relatively small hotel, so the elevators were quick. There was just enough space in the room for 2 girls to not be completely tripping over everything b

• Double Room with One Double Bed

My room was on the small side, and there were very noisy guests nearby - but everything else was fab.

The bed was comfortable- checkin/out was easy. Love the location. I would love it if they could have Vertigo available to watch in the rooms as well!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Generally, the staffs are not friendly and too busy with their own lives, facilities are poor, the room is not clean nor comfortable, too overpriced and the location is unsafe. I took a long time to write below comments. I have my reasons to never stay at this hotel nor to recommend this hotel to anyone in my life. Staff. When asking for extra bed, valet parking, near recommendable restaurants or locations to visit in San Francisco, their response was very unfriendly and seemed too busy to correspond with the visitors. They were one of the most unfriendly, unsmiling staffs I've ever experienced. Facilities I do not believe that they serve breakfast. The fitness room only has couple running machines and small weights in a room that can barely fit 3 people. The hallways are way too small and if there were any emergency and people needed to evacuate the building, the hallway would be too crowded to even walk in more than one line. This is not the facility level that I would pay more than USD 30 for. I am surprised that this hotel is fit for safety criteria for San Francisco. Cleanliness I did not have candy in that room but surprisingly found a candy wrapper and a candy on the floor. The curtains had cigarette burns and I thought the room was smoke-free. I found what seemed to be a lipstick mark on a pillow sheet but I was too tired to even mention it. I just used other pillow and threw that on the floor. In addition to this, the windows had rusted and were hard to open or close it. Comfort I could not find any sort of comfort from this hotel. It was two nights of 'let's just close my eyes and try to get some sleep so I could get out of here ASAP.' Value for Money The cost of the hotel was USD 700 (tax included) for three of us. It was only one room with one extra bed. I understand that San Francisco hotels are expensive but this hotel is a rip-off.

The only thing that was nice about this hotel was the breakfast restaurant across the street called the Cozy Cafe.

• Executive King Room

Hard to say, we got what we wanted and paid for.... We had no complaints and we will stay again the next time we go to San Fran.

We wanted a very quiet room in a central hotel... A big ask in a city. We didn't care about the view from the window.... That's exactly what we got! Room 621, very quiet room at the back of the hotel. Basic enough hotel, it's not the Ritz, but it has everything you need. We were out all day every day. Room was very clean, quiet, everyone on reception lovely. Sutter street is near union square, easy to walk from hotel to union square etc but it is a steep incline back up the road( like most roads in San Fran!) but it's so easy to catch a Lyft or uber which is what we did as it was late in the evening when we were returning to the hotel. There is no bar in the hotel, it's literally designed for somewhere to sleep which is perfect. Anything more than that and you will pay big money. For San Fran we found this hotel good value, no breakfast included but again that's the norm in America!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Gym. Is small, 1#3 machines didn’t work )-:, hotel a little worn.

Friendly and service minded staff, offered alternatives to broken gym equipment- had a discount on hotel 👍

• Deluxe Queen Room

The safe was broken and staff ignored my complaints and refused to fix it. When I complained to management they ignored my email. I would not use this hotel again and was very disappointed in my stay.

• Deluxe Queen Room

We were lucky the weather was not too hot as I didn't realise that there was not air conditioning in the room at time of booking. There was a fan which just satisfied cooling to level of temperature but would definitely prefer to have air conditioning available as first preference.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with One Double Bed

Neighborhood is a little questionable... upon checkout I went to get my car and there was quite a few sketchy characters in the area.

Great fun little place to stay. Antique yet modern feel. One huge downside is there is no parking on premises so you will have to park about a block away at a garage. Not terribly pricey but still another fee to pay...

• Deluxe Queen Room

The location was great. Very walkable to Union Square. The room was quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The inroom coffee maker was a nice plus... Wolfgang Puck, delicious! The Front Desk staff was always extremely attentive, knowledgeable and helpful. The Housekeeping staff made sure my room was clean. I stayed for 8 nights, felt like this was my home away from home and will definitely stay again.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Loved this hotel! Room was lovely, really quiet and bed was by far the comfiest we stayed in throughout our 3 week cali trip. Staff were really friendly and helpful (most welcoming too which made me calm down/be happy after 2 hours !!! in passport control ques). Location is perfect. If you go to San Fran, be prepared to walk! But this isn't much of a walk to all the sights. Wish we could of stayed for so much longer.

• Double Room with One Double Bed

The bed pillows...that's it!

The hotel was just what we needed it to be! We were in the city to take care of a family member's apartment following his death. We found his apartment so dirty that we needed to find a hotel! I would definitely recommend the Hotel Vertigo and would stay there again! Some of the facilities were under renovation, but the cleanliness and hotel staff were perfect!! One suggestion...pillows need to be replaced with more comfortable ones!

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

I wish the hotel would switch to unfragranced laundry products - I, like many people, am irritated by these perfumes. The bedding caused me to awaken each day with red, swollen eyes, mild headache, and sore throat. It is so strong that I could smell the perfume upon entering the room.

This hotel's furnishings are its showing its age, and it is void of any significant amenities, but it is priced appropriately for what it is: a clean, well run place to sleep and get ready to head out for the day. That was exactly what I wanted. The desk staff were welcoming and helpful.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Initial arrival - Parked out front for valet, we waited for more than 5 minutes thinking someone would come out to acknowledge us. My friend went in and learned there was one person working the front desk, so if s/he was busy with another customer, well, no one could come out to touch base with us.

The beds were comfortable. The location was great and central, for the places we were visiting (via car).

• Double Room with One Double Bed

The parking is expensive as in all of San Francisco. Unfortunately, there are a lot of homeless and drug addict in this area of town (in all the street near by). They are harmless but still not a good sight. The bed was small.

The Hotel is locate in a great location. The staff was super friendly. Hotel was very clean, the clean lady did her job very good every day. For everything we asked they had an answer and helped as.

• Double Room with One Double Bed

Very old and loud elevator. My room was right next to it, so had to start using ear plugs to get some rest at night. Very noisy and inconsiderate guests on my floor - but then again it is not necessarily hotel's fault.

Location of the hotel was good, within walking distance to Union Square, China Town and even on 1st nigh I walked to At&T stadium. Very clean, airy room, all amenities needed such as fridge, safe, iron and bonus of dressing gown. Could do with an actual kettle rather than coffee maker.

• Double Room with One Double Bed

The room shared a wall with the elevator shaft and I could hear people coming and going throughout the night. Was hoping to sleep in, but again constant noise from 5:00 a.m. on. When I spoke with the manager on duty at 6 am, he immediately knew the room and was surprised it was occupied as others were available. Very disappointed with the service.

Hotel has a clean and stylish decor

• Deluxe Queen Room

Never ever book the queen size beds! They put them on the ground floor of the hotel, no light, loud sounds, dark, cold. We could change the room, but this might not be possible every time....

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

This is the first hotel without a parking lot!!! 45$ for parking it's very stupid, I could've booked a different hotel for 30$ more and get breakfast and parking! They won't tell you until you get there, and you can not cancel your reservation!!! Well, I made this mistake once...but never again!

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

The property doesn't serve breakfast, although there are a couple of joints close by

Very close to Union Square (5 min walk), which is the main shopping district. Easy to take the cable car from Union Sq to Fisherman's Wharf. The property is clean and well maintained.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Double Room with One Double Bed

Ground floor room we were given initially was dark, draughty and depressing. The staff was very helpful and accommodating when we asked to change rooms however. Parking super expensive.

Fantastic location and the building is a little piece of SF history. A unique place to stay away from the usual boring chains.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Maybe a restaurant to do breakfast but having said there are lots of good dinners near by to start the day

The room was big the windows had double glazing to keep noise out and the reception staff are excellent

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a thumping noise all night long, it may have been the heater system for the building. The desk chair seat was torn!!! Only one elevator and it was slow.

The decor.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

The environment outside the Hotel - Street side could use some TLC. Make the Entry way more inviting. This is something that you cant really control but to get the city to clean it up.

Nice and quiet. Simple and easy. Clean and very comfortable. Wish that you had more movie on demand type stuff. Like to see more outlets next to the bed. but all this is just would be nice. not a show stopper at all.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

Felt run down and a bit sad. : ( The first room I was placed in was not the type of room I paid for. The room was also freezing cold and near an extremely loud generator. I politely asked the staff to move me to a room in the category I paid for and after "searching for a solution" they placed me in a better room. Bed was comfortable but very noisy (squeaky etc).. Music selection (very loud BTW) in lobby was bizarre. Felt like I was at a 70's disco. Evening staff did not seem pleased to be working - morning staff was better.

Modern touches exist, but needs refreshing.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Staff (hotel manager) was a very obtuse man who insists on holding $250 - PER DAY for incidentals. Also he said no pets but according to the listing on Trivago they do allow pets. Also the TV didn't work most of the time.

Location and decor

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

The bed was harder than I'm use to, but after a day in the city I didn't have any problem sleeping.

Everyone at the front desk was amazing. They were always pleasant and made me feel valued. The decor separates it from the chain lodging so it more of an experience than just a place to lay your head.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Small room, saggy and springy old mattress, I'm sure the bed was a full and not a queen, thin walls and ability to hear neighbors, nondescript staff/hospitality, dead spot in otherwise lively "Tendernob" neighborhood.

Clean room and bathroom, valuables safe in room, snacks and water in room available for sale ($2 per water bottle)

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

No bar or restaurant (may have been under construction) but we should have been informed of this prior to arrival or at least on check in. A couple of the staff were not helpful when asking for directions/suggestions etc.They seemed frustrated we asked and couldnt provide succint answers.

The rooms were comfy although the aircon / heating situation needs to be upgraded in the rooms, very outdated.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

• Double Room with One Double Bed

There is no view from the window, you can see anouther windows too close to you, so need always to close the curtains. Very noisy weekend nights

The location is very good. 15 mins walking to Union Square. Bus stop near buy. Famous tram as well. Easy to come from the airport. Room and bathroom was clean.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

They did not advertise that there wasn't any air conditioning in the hotel. Whenever we were in the room we had to have the window open because it was so hot. The hotel is two blocks away from a hospital and we heard sirens all day and night.

Very clean, good location.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

There was just one ice machine which is by reception, which was a slight pain being that we were on the 4th floor, but not a major issue. It was also a slight pain that the ice container was in your room so you would need to go get this, head down to get the ice and then back up to your room. Might be worth putting some containers next to the ice machine that people can leave in their room after use for the cleaners to collect when they come in to clean the room.

The staff were very friendly. The hotel and room were very clean. The location was both close enough and far enough from everything you want to see, some parts were a slight walk away which I didn't mind. We were facing the street where a tram line runs through, hardly even heard it.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Bed mattress was of poor quality and not very comfortable. The location, close to downtown, was also on the fringe of the Tenderloin district, which is very sketchy. I didn't feel very safe walking around the area, looking for a convenient and delicious restaurant for dinner. Cost of bottled water (purified) was $2.00 for the hotel brand.

For the city, the cost was inexpensive, although I still paid $175 for the night. The room decor was simple and modern.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

The bed wasn't particularly comfortable and the walls are very thin - you can definitely hear your neighbors on all sides and around the courtyard. Fortunately, most folks quieted down after 10 each night. Parking is very expensive so I would recommend uber or public transit. No breakfast on site, but great little coffee shops and breakfast nooks abound in the neighborhood.

I really like the atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff at this hotel. It's a unique, boutique hotel with real charm and character. Cleaning and front desk staff are very warm, friendly, and accommodating. Location provides easy access to the area.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only one lift, so be prepared to wait a good 5 minutes during peak hours (morning). The stairs are much quicker rather thabwaiting for one if you are located on a lower floor.

The feel of the hotel was elgant with a white them.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Uncomfortable towel-like blanket on bed. Better without. Very thin walls. Heard the neighbors very well late at night. Not a big deal to me, I can sleep through anything really.

Location, price and staff were excellent!!

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

There was no ice machine, the staff were not friendly, they did not ask us how our stay was. The location was okay but scary at night. Room was small and the view was not good, just walls. They were under renovation. Parking was very expensive at $45 too. We parked down the street for $22

We were not happy at all.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Wish my room had been a little bigger for the money I was paying. Next time I'll just have to spend the extra money to upgrade to a king sized bed.

Loved the style of the hotel. Gave off a classy/unique vibe.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Executive King Room

No air conditioning. Wifi is quite unstable, and toilet paper is horrible considering the room charges.

Comfortable, clean, great beds, staff are very accommodating, location is superb.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Double Room with One Double Bed

The area the hotel is located in didn't feel the safest at night. We felt a little uncomfortable as there were a lot of homeless and crazy people in the streets around. Obviously not the hotel's fault but it's something to be aware of when booking. It would also have been good if the hotel had a bar and/or restaurant.

We liked the character and decor of the hotel. The room was lovely and well equipped. It was also walkable to union square and other tourist locations of San Francisco. Lots of restaurants are nearby too.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Double Room with One Double Bed

I understand that the hotel should be renovated and I appreciate this. But the primary quality of a hotel is the sleeping quality. Being waked up on Saturday before 8am by a very loud drilling from the workers is not nice!

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

The only elevator was not working for two days. It would be nice if this hotel offered a continental breakfast for the hotel rate being paid.

Good location for our needs. Clean room.

Location!

Everybody was so kind to me The place is clean and its excellent located

The tenderloin area

Beds Shower And bakery near by😋

There was no breakfast

'breakfast coffee' hours over by time i got downstairs

got my exercise going up/down stairs!

Nothing to dislike here

Clean and easy to get to

Do not be fooled by the photos!

• Double Room with One Double Bed

The staff was very accommodating and the location was great

• Double Room with One Double Bed

Location, cleanliness, and decor. Snazzy hotel in downtown SF.

• Executive King Room

cold, unwelcomed hotel, some stuff weird

• Deluxe Queen Room

We had to change rooms due to a noisy exhaust fan running 24hrs.

Once we changed rooms it was a good size. Free coffee in the lobby each morning.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Little trouble regulating room temp. Would have like a tiny microwave.

Location was great, room was large, staff was OUTSTANDING!

The toilet worked a bit wrong

Very nice staff, big room, excellent WiFi, there even was a gym on the first floor!! A food store next to the hotel

Parking

Staff

• Double Room with One Double Bed

There was no on-site parking and the lot they recommended was full for the night :(

Cute decor & clean.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Coffee only to 11:00 :( (want coffee all day)

The roof access

bar facilities

convenient great staff

• Executive King Room

very small rooms. we were in the big one, but there was no place for bags almost.

Position

Wifi was a bit slow.

Room was spacious, comfortable and clean. Staff were friendly, location is fine.

I really liked the very unique styling and boutique look and feel of the hotel. It wasn't just another clone from one of the big chains.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Not sure if there is AC in the room. I couldn't find it.

Friendly ,helpful, and accommodating staff. Clean rooms and comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

No breakfast

Great staff...great location.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Double Room with One Double Bed

My room was in the back away from the street on a light well, it was very quiet and well appointed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Listing said they had vending machines on site and they do not.

The rooms were beautiful, hotel clean, facilities readily available.

Browse Hotel Vertigo San Francisco traveller photo gallery