Reviews of Villa Florence San Francisco on Union Square 4 stars

225 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA

#135 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

• Deluxe Queen Room

The noise at night from outside but it was to be expected being right in the middle of a very busy city.

Being in Union Square it was close to the BART, shopping centers and Hop on Hop Off Bus stops.

Everything was good.

GREAT location to catch the tourist buses on Union Square. So much to do and see in San Francisco don’t bother spending more on a swankier hotel. You won’t be in your room much and the Villa and it’s staff are very nice. Try Fino’s on Post for a very good Italian dinner. Consider upgrading to a king suite. MUCH larger room and bath. Have fun - San Francisco is a great place to visit.

Everything was good with our stay.

Perfect location to check catch the tour buses at Union Square. San Francisco has so much to do and see don’t bother wasting too much on your hotel. I was VERY satisfied with the Villa for the price. Consider upgrading to the suite to get a MUCH bigger room and bath for not a whole lot more money. Friendly, accommodating staff.

Didn’t seem well organized on computer side for checking in. Renovations kept elevators operating slowly. Lots of add on fees. Room ok, but over street and very loud at night. Bathroom was clean on “person” level, but had black mold near ceiling. Air conditioning did not work well.

Smelled funny - like chemicals reeking from the walls and floor. Charged me for 2nights when we only stayed for one. Cramped elevator - and did i mention the hidden charges...? Absurd.

Location and the design of the room

• Deluxe Queen Room

Booking was made thru booking.com for 3 and there was only one bed! We had to go thru the process of refusing the room.

The location of this property is excellent. My only problem was that I booked thru Booking.com a room for 2 adults and 1 child and they had a room with only one queen bed for the 3 of us and pretended to give an upgrade for additional money for a bed for the child. They said: that’s what booking.com reserved for you. So beware when you reserve a triple room! At the end, they gave us a two beds room and waived the additional charge but at the beginning it is not a good experience

The A/C unit and or heater didn’t work. The bathroom was extremely small. The elevator was verily slow and extremely small. The hotel has a faint odor.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

High price Elevator is slow and one was out of service the whole of my stay

The staff were friendly especially a lady called Apriel Location was great and close to everything

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Mistaken reservation for -st night’s stay.

Although we were assigned a single room for the first night, the ataff was very accommodating for our 2nd and 3rd nights. We were moved to a beautiful, spacious double room with a great view.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Weird odor at the hotel corridors.

The room was very good. The location is excellent. The Hotel staff was very good, being always well predisposed to help. Very good choice at San Francisco.

• Deluxe Queen Room

My room faced Powell Street and had the noise of the cable cars but once i puf in my ear plugs i slept well.

Great location just off Union Square. I only stayed one night but would have been happy to stay longer. A bit of wear and tear but good value. I had a late check in due to flight delay but the check in was great.

Small room, loud air conditioning system, room’s windows are facing other rooms’ windows (very close distance) so it’s not possible to open the window blinds. The blanket has dirty yellow stains - it’s quite disgusting.

Perfect location for shoppers!

• Deluxe Queen Room

Terribly tiny room & bathroom size with barely enough space to open any cupboards or your suitcase. Bearable when staying solo but can imagine it would be a major challenge with more than 1 occupant. Clogged bathtub on 1st day which was fixed after asking several times. Inconsistent housekeeping, for example, some days the number of towels provided varied, bath mat was missing one day, on one of the days I had to request for housekeeping to clean the room as it wasn't done even at mid-afternoon. Card stating recycling option for towels and sheets were only given on the last night of a 7 night stay, so I'm not sure if my sheets were ever changed over 7 days. Water temperature erratic and could turn from tepid to suddenly boiling. Body lotion not given daily. Horrible non-existent wifi in the guest rooms, appeared to be better at the lobby. Insufficient lifts per floor (only 2) and 1 was broken the entire stay. Other reviewers said the same thing so could be a long-standing problem. Sheets and covers worn and old, stained, duvet was very thin, not plush or fluffy and was torn & threadbare at seams. Expensive for what you're getting. Bad value and there should be better options nearby at the same price point.

Location, close to Union Square, BART station, MUNI and street car stops, cable car stops, surrounded by lots of shopping, food & drink. Note that Uber and other pickups often do not turn into the street (Powell St) where the hotel entrance is, so best to walk up the block to the corner Starbucks. Nice smelling toiletries provided.

When we were checking out we asked if it was possible to leave our bags in the storage room for a few hours before we went to the airport, this was allowed and we were reassured after asking that our bags were safe. Upon our return to the hotel to collect our bags, it came to light that one of our back packs containing a laptop, iPad and the bags itself worth about $150 was missing. The staff were completely unhelpful and didn't offer any solution or reason to us. They claim that the storage room is only accessible by staff and suggested that it was possible that they gave our bag to another person. When we asked to see CCTV they first of all claimed that they had someone reviewing it and that it would be a short time. We asked for a manager and we were told that there was no manager on site and that they were on their way. 30 minutes later there was still no CCTV and no manager. As we had to catch a flight we had to leave the hotel. The service we received was absolutely disgraceful. The staff were unhelpful, completely careless and offered zero customer service. We weren't offered any compensation, not even an airport transfer considering the delay of almost an hour, or in fact any resolution to our problem given that it was completely at the fault of the hotel. Needless to say we are completely unsatisfied and extremely upset with the service we received and the lack of sympathy considering the memories lost on the iPad and the financial loss (considerably more than the cost of the hotel stay). Don't waste your time staying at such a place, other hotels are more deserving of your money.

Location of hotel was good, reception area was nice.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I didnt like all the made up charges. Things like $29.99 per night admin fee or two fees per night for employee health care, a per night environmental fee, and a $30 per night "resort fee" [it was NOT a resort] on top of that parking was $67.26 per night so i had to take a bus into the city. all said 2 nights with a rate of $114 per night and NO INCIDENTALS totalled $403.65 try to make the math work

it was fine, not great, not bad

The final cost was much more than the quoted price. Even had to request an adjustment when I was going to be charged more than the price that was on the booking.

Property was well kept

• Deluxe Queen Room

I called the accounting department two days in a row to inquire about a charge on my credit card. There was no return call from them. I finally got thru on the third day and they were able to resolve the problem.

Staff gracious and accommodating. Centrally located.

The staff was not too nice I called because I needed help finding parking but put on hold for 15 min then they hung up on me I called again only to be put on hold once more the sheets looked a lil dirty maybe just old

• Deluxe Queen Room

Thin walls could hear neighbors snoring, view from window faced brick wall with lots of noisy pigeons at the window, sink clogged, only one elevator working,

Comfortable bed, large closets, large room, clean, great location to union square shopping

• Deluxe Queen Room

Wifi is not secure. Would have felt better if it was password protected. Felt uncomfortable making purchases online and had to put off banking I needed to do. Made me feel nervous

Staff were amazing. Location is as good as it gets!

• Deluxe Queen Room

Room was not clean. Smell in room and hallways awful (orange spray deodorizer & urine mix) No room service. Had to go out to get expresso or coffee drink.

Great location. Friendly staff.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had booked a twin room but were given a double with put up bed. Fortunately the one bed was massive so we just divided that.

Fabulous location for the cable cars.

The location was spot on, being in the heart of the city. It was walking distance to everywhere I needed to go, otherwise, the train station was a skip and a hop away. The room was comfortable and most importantly, clean. I must say that the bathroom is small but that's my only complaint.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The homelessness issue in San Francisco is quite shocking at times and the area near the hotel, being quite touristy, appears to attract a lot of homeless people with mental health and drug issues. The area is busy and it does not feel unsafe but it is quite disturbing to see someone injecting drugs outside the streetcar entrance in broad daylight!

The room was beautifully decorated in a modern style and the bed was very comfortable. It was a romantic oasis of calm amid a busy tourist area. The hotel was in a perfect location near the shops of Union square and minutes from the Powell Street streetcar. Upon check-in we were offered a choice of a bright room on the outside of the building or a quieter but darker room overlooking the inner courtyard. We chose the latter to avoid noise and we were not disappointed. The room was a decent size with plenty of space for relaxation.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Noise from street even when windows are closed. Washroom was not cleaned every day. One elevator was working and the other under construction and the that area did not look good.

Room was nice and spacious. Central location.

The staff: I found the stuff not organized and, in some instances, rude. Rooms are ok, a little bit old.

The position of the hotel: very central and safe area.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Very small rooms, hated walking into the breakfast / lobby in the morning and smelling alcohol (the problem when there is a bar in the actual lobby). NOT good for business as you can't really use the lobby to meet anyone or to do any work. Their system was down so I still don't have a receipt after 4 days. Its trying so hard to be trendy that it misses the basics of a good hotel, especially for work.

• Deluxe Queen Room

smell of the hotel, hotel restaurant.

The room was cozy, definitely perfect for one person. However, the hotel itself smelled bad, and the elevator was so tiny, and under construction. It made it difficult to get to the lobby and get around. The hotel was cute and definitely a boutique hotel. Also my room was boiling hot. The a/c unit was broken.

• Deluxe Queen Room

On arrival we couldny find the place sign was not really visible. Everything was fine until the electricity went out on our first night there left with no air no tv it was hot in the room for several hours.

The room was cute have everything needed.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Regardless of settling the bill at check out, the property is still holding the fee on my card. Despite my efforts to contact the property to get the funds released, I had no response from them!

Very little storage space, the wardrobe style cupboard wasn't deep enough to put anything in and there was a lack of drawers. When we asked if there we anything they could do we were told all rooms have the same storage so there was nothing they could do.

Good location, stylish rooms fairly good value for money

I don’t like that the air conditioner didn’t seem to work, I usually have the AC all nite But in my room I couldn’t get to work.

I like the cleanest of the room, it was pretty organized, I love that they have normal bottles of shampoo, body wash and conditioner.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Poor money for value ratio! I expected more for 220 usd a night! TV was not connected and when I looked for the cables it was very dusty. Stains at the toilet seat! Front desk staff at arrival was very arrogant.

Free water and apples at the front desk! They stored my bags for free. Man who refilled the water was very friendly! Location is good.

• Deluxe Queen Room

It was nothing like they show online, the room was very small, the building and the room were old, the lighting was bad. If we would have known it was like this we would have preferred a less central place but nicer for the same price. Don't come here if you are looking to have an elegant romantic gate away, good spot only for turism.

The location was great and the room was clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking is a problem. They charge $60 a day for in and out valet parking off-site. the room we stayed in was just okay the bathroom was so small we could hardly turn around. The shower needs updating. AC heat was a very strange unit difficult to use and it didn't do the job that it said it would.

This location is exactly where you want to be for Union Square. Mary the bartender and Angel the server were incredible people to work with. Upbeat happy engaging both of them.

This hotel is good enough to stay but a big BUT, it is WEll EXPENSIVE, we decided to go all out and have a treat, i have stayed in better for half the price, the pictures look fantastic but in reality it needs an upgrade.would never stay again unless it has an upgrade.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was too cramped; none of the drawers in the provided dresser can be opened because the doors that you need to open to pull out the drawers hit the bed. We are talking the drawers were obsolete. The pillows were all different; one was a nice feather one but the others were not. When I requested a feather pillow they sent me another regular pillow that was not even the same size or shape as the rest.

Location is great.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The smell of a chemical going through the hotel . It was dreadful . It was mainly on the corridor area but there all the time

It’s a lovely hotel very boutique style and great location.

• Deluxe Queen Room

There was a draught between the AC and the window, so the room was a bit cold. Noise from other AC units annoying. Strange smell in the hallway.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room wasn’t particularly clean and not at all sound proof. We could hear not only the street noise but also our neighbors. For the price I would consider staying at a bigger hotel nearby next time.

The location was fantastic and the staff were very friendly.

Terrible service. Our toilet got locked at around midnight. No staff was there to resolve it even after we tried calling the front desk multiple times. Ultimately, I had to go down personally and even then they refused to do anything about it. I was very disappointed, how is one supposed to stay in a hotel room overnight without any access to a restroom?! Aghast that a hotel of this value would do nothing about such an issue which causes extreme inconvienice to the customer. After around an hour of requesting am arguing with the lone person in the front desk we were moved to a new room at 2am. Definitely ruined all my plans for the next day.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They tried to charge us more than 3 times of the hotel fee. I have 2 kids and we did not feel safe there and checked out early. The employee named Louis keep lied to us about payment. Exp. He Said charged 287 however when I called my bank it was 500. İn addition to that 1900 dolar was tried to charged to our credit cards. And our cards got blocked. We left San Francisco with bad memories and bad feelings:(

The room was freezing cold. I had to turn up the temp to 86 degrees just for it to get to 72 in the room. The shower drain stayed clogged even after I requested it be attended to. The toilet made a terrible noise while the tank was filling.

Only problem was asking for towels one night (twice) called down fell asleep waiting for them, hey never came.

Staff was amazing. Concierge was outstanding!!!!

Excellent central location to union square area. Room very nice and clean and bed comfortable but pillows not so much!! Bathroom was a little smaller than expected but overall it worked. Huge tv. Staff very friendly. The breakfast buffet was awesome. And for $18.99 was very reasonable for what was offered and it was all you can eat. The smoked salmon alone was worth the price. We liked it so much that we plan to go there for breakfast even if we don’t stay there next time, but will definitely try to stay there next time, and we visit San Francisco very often. Had never been at this hotel before but has been the best one so far. Didn’t know about the $29 administrative fee beforehand but maybe I just didn’t read the fine print carefully. Also the parking would have been about $67.00 for our oversized car (dodge Durango) but we found a public garage about 2 short blocks away on O’Farrell for $35.00 ($39.00 if we wanted in and out privileges).

• Deluxe Queen Room

Remarkably, this hotel does not have room service. My husband wasn't feeling well and this was a real problem as he was unable to go to a restaurant. Second, they add a $15 per day tax for facilities, including wifi, even if you do not use these things. The extra costs for two days added up to $62.32 US. These hidden fees should be up front.

the location was good

• Deluxe Queen Room

Long wait time to check in. Unattentive bartender and waiter. My date waited over 30 minutes, no courtesy,no respect no service! She felt shunned being the only African American female there! So she left Villa F. and was promptly served with courtesy and respect at another Hotel.

Price and affordability.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was too stiff which caused a major kink in my back and my partner's neck. I could barely get out of bed. Charging 20 bucks for a buffet breakfast is ridiculous when other hotels in the same area offer a complimentary breakfast. And the wait to valle to bring the car was over 20 min with no status update which is unacceptable.

I like the decor and location of the property.

• Executive King Room

"Free WiFi" actually meant no WiFi. I was not able to get WiFi connections on any of my 3 devices. The hotel actually has an off-site number to call for WiFi troubleshooting b/c so many people have problems. The first night I stayed on the phone for 40 minutes and the person could not resolve the issue. The second night I stayed on the phone for 25 minutes and finally got a signal for 20 minutes, then the WiFi went down again. I could not do work online in my room. I have never had a problem connecting my work laptop or table or phone at any other hotel - and I travel quite a bit for work. It was a frustrating experience. At one point the first night I called the "24-hour concierge" service to ask whether WiFi was out throughout the building. The phone rang and rang but no one ever picked up. after about 10 rings I hung up.

The hotel was clean and very quiet. I could not hear anyone in the hallways.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I did not like the entrance, because it is not remarkable. I also do not like that they do not have their own parking, not offer free breakfast. They should work on improving that.

The hotel looks chic & clean. The room was really big & the bathroom too. I prefer a bigger room with not great view, cuz I want peace & quite. I really recommend this hotel, close of great stores & to the Chinatown too.

There were quite a few stains on the couch. The carpets could have been vacuumed a bit better as there was hair strands from previous guest on carpets and also in the bathroom.

Staff was friendly. Overall it was very quiet and peaceful.

There's absolutely nothing that you can do: We want Kuleto;s back! The changes in the lobby area were shocking and unexpected. A man checking in behind us had an obviously same reaction. Maybe it couldn't be helped. Times change; demands are different. We're pretty flexible, but we do not have to like it...and we do not. The absence and ambiance of Kuleto's was a downer, although the food and very pleasant servers were a plus. The Villa Florence and Kuleto's were a couple. We miss that.

We loved the 55-inch Samsung TVs. It was like being at home. We are huge sports fans and were able to view without adjustments. We can't say enough about the staff. They were more than accommodating and empathetic when they realized that changes to the lobby décor were shocking. We have stayed at this property at least 4 times in the past. We were in San Francisco in August, but we did not stay at the Villa Florence; opting for the St. Francis. When we decided to observe Christmas and celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary away from home, the obvious choice was San Francisco---and the Villa Florence! We'll do it again soon. We sincerely hope that the Villa Florence will be there---with their very responsive staff!

Although the hotel has recently been remodeled and nicely updated the halls had an unusual odor that I didn't notice the second day so much.

The breakfast offered is excellent. It was not offered in our room rate so a little expensive but very good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds are full not queen in my room so a little cramped. Also even though the curtains were made with blackout material they did not cover the window. That doesn't make any sense at all and it was cold near the window

• Deluxe Queen Room

Except for the lone elevator that sometimes gives its occupants a hiccup, everything was excellent, service, facilities, caring staff, perfect location. Love to stay there again.

• Deluxe Queen Room

They need to update their pillows, they are very old and tiny. The elevator needs to be fixed, only one was working. The restaurant in the lobby is terrible.

Great location, VERY clean, great staff, strong wifi.

• Deluxe Queen Room

That staff was very slow and didn’t remember things when I asked I had to call the desk 3 times. Plus you get lost in hotel due to no one told me where my room was excep 3rd floor. Signs were misleading

Well I like the location

• Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms were Dirty, it also has a smell to it. You will know what I mean, the ac would work only 50% of the time, elevators were not working at all. They charge me a $200 service fee for authorization even though I call and they told me that I would pay only what I was booking for.

The "modern design " of the Hotel is not attractive, and they lost the charm of the VILLA FLORENCE with Breakfast restaurant area with the fireplace...the entry was more friendly with the Italian coffee bar...this is all gone...sorry..

no breakfast available.....not right for this type of Hotel...only Coffee to go...

• Deluxe Queen Room

Conveniently located at Union Square, nice and friendly staff, clean room and comfortable bed. This is the ONLY hotel i stay when i come to San Francisco every 2 months

1) The pre-paid rate (non cancellable) was $139 inclusive all and for a king bed was booked via booking.com. We requested for 2 bedded room upon check in and was told the upgrade cost only $20 for the room. However on checkout, the total rate was $200 excluding the upgrade. I think booking.com mislead on the rate bcos it was 20% off to book direct which will have been cheaper 2) The bathroom was tiny

1) The double beds 2) Hotel had great location and Rachel who checked us in was very nice and helpful

location very convenient for getting around the heart of San Francisco and attending conferences at the Moscone Center. the room was a good size, clean and very comfortable.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The restaurant wasn’t open and the lobby area to sit and lounge around was really small. There werent any other favicilties to hang out in the hotel other than the room. The reservations personnel also couldn’t pull up our confirmation from bookings.com for two weeks after I booked it. I had to call back 4 or 5 times before the hotel could confirm my booking. The hotel staff kept telling me that it takes a while for bookings.com to feed into their system. When I talked to a different staff, they were able to pull it and took them less than a day to confirm my booking. They also didn’t check for my parents ID when they were the ones staying there and i only booked it for them. Makes me question the security of the place.

The rooms and hotel lobby were really nice and clean. Great location. The beds were amazingly comfy and rooms were quiet. We were situated in an inner facing room.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel was undergoing significant up grading work and so there was only one lift which needed upgrading itself so slow service and erratic behaviour of the doors.

Comfortable and quiet and friendly staff

One elevator was broken and the other one was very busy. The smoke detector in our room was for making faint, but very annoying noise. No big deal you'd say, unless it's the only sound you hear all night :-(

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The decor was old and in need of updating. Not at all what we expected from the photos. I imagine it is undergoing a refurb because the entrance was completely different to that of the photos, but at no time were we informed of this since booking. The bathroom was very tiny and the position of the toilet was strange making the loo roll dig into you whilst sitting on the loo! The bathroom also had black mould on the ceiling. We were lead to belive there would be bathrobes, but there were none.

Disappointed on the whole not at all what we were expecting

Pictures on line were misleading. Restaurant and bar not open the whole week. One of the two very tiny elevators was out of order for the week. Overall cleanliness poor. Toiletries missing. Lobby sterile and uninviting. Hotel had a rundown appearance both in and out. No views, hallways very dark.

Location and access to public transportation.

See above comments!!

Pillows were hard & awful. Could not open the cupboard where the coffee machine was as the cupboard/unit was too close to the bed. When we checked in lady at Front Desk she will give a a 'beautiful room'. The room was for a paraplegic! Depressing we had to ask to. Hangs rooms which we did. Next room was ok tiny bathroom. We. Amen all the way from South Africa to this recommended Hotel. Disappointing no reception/lounge to order food. Told to go to the restaurant next door.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Very modern, very clean and quiet room and hotel.. We were on the seventh floor facing Powell Street and it was very quiet minus the ding of the cable car now and then, which was charming. Great location, fleet week was a blast! Hotel staff were excellent and accommodating with towels and extra pillows.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Tricky to find.... exterior signage is minimal. 2 very small elevators (it is an older hotel) and 1 was out of service.

Style of hotel, friendly staff

Lovely, comfortable room. Location was perfect. Staff very friendly and helpful. Coffee/tea and fruit in reception 24hrs. Recently refurbished and it looks amazing. Very impressed with our stay.

The building is super run down. The ac didn't work, the ceiling had water damage, the water in the sink takes for ever to go down the drain, the pull out couch is the worst! The elevator was broken and we stayed on the 5th floor with 2 kids and 2 grandparent. And the valet (I think he was the owner) kept insisting we park at a local garage instead of paying the $75 fee for valet.

The location and decor were great

• Deluxe Queen Room

This hotel has really changed and unfortunately, for the worse. They now add a $30 "resort" fee at check-in. This is entirely disingenuous. This is NOT a resort. They've changed the window coverings so that it is light in the room all night now. I used to stay here frequently. I won't be back.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Plumbing was super loud, water changed itself from warm to burning hot with no warning

Beautiful decorations and the 24/7 coffee, tea, and water bar

They lost a package that we mailed there about a month prior to our stay. They had a log they received it but couldn't find it. They said they may have sent it back since it's been a few weeks but didn't have a log of it. No offer to reimburse was made.

Location can't be beat!! From the airport, we took the BART to Powell and it was a 5 min walk from the station.