Reviews of German Village Inn Motel 2 stars

920 South High Street, Columbus, OH 43206, USA

#73 of 98 hotels in Columbus

Very nice room with a comfortable bed.

We stayed two nights and the room was not made up and we had to ask for clean towels. Other than that, we were very happy with out stay.

The room was large and clean. The bed was very comfortable.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay again if need overnight accomadations in Columbus

water damage to ceiling tiles gave appearance of being unclean

location was handy and parking convenient loved lamps with built in plugs for charging phones

Either bed bugs or the biggest fleas I’ve ever seen in room...

Either bed bugs or the biggest fleas I’ve ever seen in room #43. Didn’t see them until morning. They didn’t come from me as I did not have this problem in the last 3 motels I stayed at on this trip. The manager denied they had a problem & was not interested in making the problem right. The bug I killed was so full of blood that it could barely crawl & popped on the bed cover. The 2nd one I saw jumped away before I could get it. BEWARE of room #43 & this property in general!!!

Fair place for a fair price

The door to the bathroom made an awful noise when you would try to shut or open the door.

I liked that it was cheap and close to food and a very short uber drive into dowtown.

Not worth the price, lack of cleanliness and false advertising was very upsetting.
    • Smoking Queen

Advertised free breakfast, but they conveniently stopped it the week before we were there for the weekend with a festival going on and a full motel. Wifi was slow and spotty. The bed was hard as a rock and the bathroom had mold on the ceiling so we didn't feel safe showering the whole weekend we were there. The room, in general, was half cleaned.

Easy check in and out. That's it.

We stayed here for rock on the range it was nice and close...
    • Smoking Queen

The staff were very rude, house keeping came at 830 am and when I yelled we were still asleep she came in anyways I told her to come back in the afternoon and she said that was too late.

We stayed here for rock on the range it was nice and close to the stadium with plenty of food in the area

The Inn is very convenient, comfortable and reasonable for a...

The Inn is very convenient, comfortable and reasonable for a one-night stay in Columbus. There's lots to see and do in neighboring German Village and it's not far from the Short North area if you have a car.

okay
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

staff could serve customers when they see them waiting rather than cleaning car, charged the other guest when reservation was mine

convenient location, clean rooms

good value, given the competition in the downtown.

Breakfast was very basic. Bus service to downtown was spotty, and downtown was too far to walk to.

rooms were in better condition than I expected. bathroom was in good shape.

Ok place, not badly priced, disappointed not getting the king sized bed we booked got a double bed

Booked a room with a king bed and got a double bed

Good wifi, clean room, checked it over and found no sign of pests and was just blocks from the funeral home we need to go to in the morning. over all not a bad place to spend a night. I would use them again when in Columbus Ohio

Close to the sights of Columbus!

The bedding needed updated as well as the curtains, carpet, and bathroom. One of the blankets had cigarette burn holes in them and the carpet needed extra scrubbing because my socks came up black from walking on it.

I liked that this motel location was close to downtown Columbus, as well as walking distance from the metro parks and German Village. I liked having a fridge, microwave, and enough electrical outlets. Lastly, the rooms are pretty much sound proof from neighboring rooms.

Was in town during the Arnold Expo so every hotel downtown...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Staff was a little short and maybe rude. Bathtub had a slow leak and water never got above room temperature. Parking was a bit of a hassle on site

Was in town during the Arnold Expo so every hotel downtown was over priced or sold out. Good price for being a 5 minute Lyft ride from downtown. Decent continental breakfast.

On a budget, this was perfect.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The property is old. Someone has attempted to renovate the furniture, but the room was clean and the bed comfortable. It certainly was not luxury, but it is in an area of town that is on the come-back. I walked to a local restaurant. The area seemed safe and rather "shabby chic".

The staff was nice and helpful. There was breakfast, even though the website I booked through said there was not. Coffee and danish.

Stay away from this one !!

everything

motel was dirty, dark and smelly. I would have walked out ,but all other hotels were booked up. Bed and pillows were very hard. Only good thing was a very nice shower. I definitely would never return and would not recommend this place , ever !!!

Clean rooms. Parking was not great

There are not enough parking spaces with rooms upstairs and down. We had to park our car pretty far from our room. There were a lot of loud people outside

The room was very clean. The parking was not great.

Wont be staying here again. Nasty.

LITERALLLY EVERYTHING!

First off we walked in our room and I grabbed a cup to get a drink of water and the cups were stained with coffee. Glad they reused the Styrofoam cups. Saved me money. Thanks. Breakfast was to be from 7am-10am. Went down at 7:10 am and had to chose from one of the two prepackaged $.99 cinnamon rolls in the breakfast case. Went to check out at 9:30 waited for 20 minutes to turn in key and the weirdo attendant was nowhere to be found. Just left my key. So upset I spent $88 for a room here. Should have spent the extra $30 and stayed at they Hyatt. Next time we will.

Don't judge by the exterior. Great price, location and the rooms are great.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The outside of the hotel looks a little rough. It looks very run down and a little seedy (although our car was never touched seemed safe and the inside is nice). Only main complaint was the first night someone vomited on the stairs and when we left two days later it was still there it seemed.

The rooms themselves are nice and the rooms are big. Nice vanity area with sink outside bathroom. Staff was nice and the breakfast was good. Beds are comfortable and just over all the rooms are much nicer than you'd think looking from the outside.

The exterior was a little run down, which initially made us nervous pulling in. But once we were in the room, we felt a lot better.

There was one entrance in and out of the parking lot, which helped us feel safer. The lot was enclosed by both building and fence. The rooms were very spacious, and it was also clean. The television had plenty of options in channels, and the fridge and microwave were in working order. It's also located near a lot of eateries and has straight access to downtown

Responsibly priced stay. Would recommend.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

the beds were terribly uncomfortable. if you have allergy issues this place was a bit dusty around the edges, baseboards.

For the price,it was a good location and room. I like there was a fridge and microwave. Our is very conveniently located near food.

The room was nice and quiet.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was nice and quiet. I've stayed at this location so many times over the last 10 years and I would recommend it to anyone. I really like the room improvements from what they were a few years ago. Nice job.

Terrible.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

bathroom no water pressure. Water was cold. Ceiling was a mess. Did not feel safe there. I would never stay again. Left before daylight to go to a friend's house to shower .

Value for the cost, was clean and located near were I needed...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Little dated but not a deal breaker at all

Value for the cost, was clean and located near were I needed to go. I was able to walk less then a block for great food

I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone!

It was not clean, hair in the sheets as if the sheets were not changed from the previous guest. There was hair in tub and sink. There was food in the fridge from the previous guest.

Clean room with a good location that serves its purpose for an overnight stay
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms are a bit dated. Beds not too comfortable.

No frills motel that was good for the money paid. Convenient and clean. Fine for an overnight stay.

Perfect stay!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

We got there the night before our reservation at 3AM, and the guy at the reception was able to accomodate us immediately. This is my fourth time at this property, I found it improved from the last time a few years ago.

Don't stay here

I booked a king bed and when i called on the phone they said I didn't book a king bed, when I got there they told me I didn't book a King bed I told them I was going to contact booking .com an tell them about the lack of a king bed and they said the king beds were in rooms with water leaks and so I got a room with two full beds it said they were 0.7 miles from nationwide arena they were 2 miles from nationwide arena so definitely not walking distance

The breakfast consisted of a choice of muffins which were very good

Comfortable bed and refrigerator

Larger bar of soap and had to go get washcloths..had requested a king room and didn't get one but did when I went back down to desk

Comfortable bed and refrigerator

Quiet place, nice manager, lousy breakfast items, good bed and hot water.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was prepackaged sandwiches (English muffins with dried sausage and egg or bacon and egg) from a grocery store. The item selections were not appealing. not many other choices.

the location was good for the things we planned to do the...

The bed was not that comfortable, however, the room was clean. The hotel is older but the upkeep was good. There was a slight smell of cigarettes which could be a holdover from when people could smoke in rooms.

the location was good for the things we planned to do the time we spent there.

Good for an overnight stay following a concert at nationwide arena.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was limited. Location was close to rundown part of town. Free breakfast was a joke.

Room was spacious and came with fridge, microwave and he tv

Awful

We didn't like anything and will never go back there.

Nothing, it was awful. We were disturbed both nights by screaming and yelling. I think they are running a prostitution ring at this place.

Basic and clean.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Free breakfast is misleading. It's a coffee machine with a few packaged muffins next to the check-in area. It's take and go, no tables or breakfast room. Check-in is behind glass partition and feels like rooms can be rented by the hour. Both nights I was there, guests had parties on the sidewalk outside my room after 10pm. Staff did not control for noise until I called to ask someone to do something. Check-in staff were young men wearing headphones, surfing internet. No professional hotel staff.

Room was clean, wifi worked.

My German Village experience in Columbus, Ohio
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was small, they said it was a Queen Bed, but it wasn't.

The property was clean, location was great, & the price you couldn't beat. We was able to walk from German Village to downtown Columbus, they even have a free circular bus the we got from say about 5/10min walk from the motel that took us downtown Columbus, The Area, The Convention Center. It was a no frills motel but we didn't need all of that. We got a clean room & the two sink's was a plus, microwave/ refrigerator was a plus & trust me you don't get all of that in the Big Hotels. This is the place we will stay when we travel to Columbus. We when for the 4th, stayed (3) days.

Slept with the aroma dreams are made of plus the guy behind the counter was 😎
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

My comforter smelled like yesterday's love making idk if I did or didn't like that still debating...

The chubby guy behind the counter was super friendly!!!

Good basic no frills hotel.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast. Industrial pastries and sausage and egg sandwiches, all loaded with preservatives and cellophane wrapped. High sugar and preservative tiny yogurt cups. I walked out and never returned.

Good basic no frills hotel. A place to stay that is clean and comfortable at a reasonable cost for the time and location. Nothing special and yet quite special.

Value for Money

The bed was huge and comfortable, and the pillows were good. It was good value for money in downtown Columbus. Location is great - close to good restaurants (Thurman's Cafe, Skillet, and many others), a gorgeous park (Schiller), and the Book Loft.

If you were lucky you could park the car 3 meters in front...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The name *German Village* has absolutly nothing to do with Germany or the Quality of German Inns or Hotels and I found no Germans there.

If you were lucky you could park the car 3 meters in front of your room. On the other side of the road there was resaurant/bar with very good food and drinks, open until 11 pm + !

Bars/restaurants within walking distance.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I requested a late check out for noon but this was never relayed to the housekeeper that walked into my room not once but twice.

Bars/restaurants within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

German Village Inn

my room was near the stairs and lots of foot traffic could be heard all hours no sleeping in banging all day up into the night kids playing a running on upper walk way and stairs not very restful

close to down town

Glad the hotel could fix booking.coms mess up.

I didn't like the fact that booking.com somehow did not communicate my reservation. I was very tired from a trip from a funeral. The only reason I booked was because I knew my day was exhausting. They did not have my reservation and had to call booking.com to get confirmation. I was glad they had a room anyway. They didn't provide shampoos and soap. But I was too tired and lazy and had some w me.

MI liked the location and cleanliness

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Comfort at a Value Price
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The walls were a little thin so there were some slightly noisy neighbors that were a little disruptive at night. The continental breakfast left something to be desired (it is basically prepackaged muffins) but since it is free, I can't complain too much there. I would have enjoyed having some towel racks in the bathroom for hanging wet towels, especially for the hand towel by the sink.

The beds were comfortable and the wifi worked well. The room was clean. Very good location for walking around German Village. There are a few really good restaurants within walking distance. Parking is free, and we didn't have to move our car at all during our stay as the area is so walkable. My boyfriend liked the square-shaped table, which he deemed perfect for studying chess. Most importantly, you really can't beat the price in the area for what you get (there is another motel across the street that might be cheaper, but looks way more run down).

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

solid stay for great price

"Breakfast" choice was 2 kinds of muffins and coffee/juice. I would not advertise that you get an actual breakfast.

Room was clean and updated. Hot water with good pressure. Quiet and reasonably priced.

6.0
    Never again.

Clerk sitting behind bullet proof glass was off putting, plus a group of foreign speaking individuals out on the sidewalk in front of our room and on the balcony overhead were talking really loud and making noise until after 1:30 am. Did not make for a good night's sleep at all.

The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Also, a great little German restaurant in short walking distance.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

we had to push the chair up next to the heater for it to...
    • Smoking Queen

we had to push the chair up next to the heater for it to work if not it would blow cold air bathroom door did not shut you could see soap scrum around tub

Not bad

Some of the other guests were kinda loud at times. Can't really help that. Key card stopped working twice but was a quick fix at the front desk. German village seems to looked a little rundown but even the Uber drive told us most houses are small in the areas however its very expensive place to live as a resident.

Location was great! Very close to a few amazing local places to eat! Highly recommend Local cantina has some of the best tacos I've had. Roosters had great BIG wings. Kroger and Penera bread company are near as well. All four places within a mile or less away. Now the Hotel.. The outside the hotel doesn't look the greatest but the room was pretty clean and updated. Has a flat screen tv, microwave, and refrigerator. Front desk was nice and breakfast was okay. Had frozen jimmy dean biscuits,, frozen breakfast burritos, yougurt, muffins, bagels, coffee, apple juice, and orange juice.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

The room was perfect!

Staff was nice but not very attentive. Parking lot needed cleaned.

The room was perfect! Will definitely book here again. The prices are reasonable as well.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

NHL / downtown budget motel

Fixed wall tv no swivel. Terrible curry smell in lobby. Mold in bathroom on shower curtain and ceiling tiles. Bad lighting fixtures

Location , large bed and room.size, take out free MW breakfast food items , ground floor parking

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Looks are deceiving!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast consisted of packaged rolls and muffins. Kept having to reset time on clock and microwave in our room. Electricity went out completely one night for probably 10 minutes. No housekeeping on second day there then got called twice on 3rd day to see if we wanted any. Sidewalks in front of hotel were never cleared off-had about a 1/4 inch of ice on them so were not safe to walk on. Stood at the office window one night for about 4-5 minutes while the manager was on the phone ordering food! Overall, not impressed with hotel and would not recommend this place to anyone!! Also picture of hotel on website very deceiving--not sure where the picture was taken but doesn't look like that at all!!

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Staff were very friendly, room was nice size and well...

There were a few cosmetic issues such as water stains on the ceiling above shower and paint on the shower curtain. But sheets, towels, counter tops, everything I would touch were all spotless, clean and fresh.

Staff were very friendly, room was nice size and well furnished, the price was much better than other options. Bed was comfortable and there were three different pillows (firm, medium and soft) so I slept very well. Easy walk to several fun places to eat or drink. Convenient for getting into downtown.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

Booked several weeks in advance.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Booked several weeks in advance. Was there at check in time and room wasn't ready. A lady was still cleaning it, and she didn't clean it very well.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

I would definitely stay here everytime I'm in columbus

Complimentary breakfast wasn't that fresh.

Room was very clean. I liked that someone was on staff if you needed anything. Parking lot was well lit.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Clean and comfortable, but only fair value to cost.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

A bit on the pricey side re: what you get, which includes somewhat dreary rooms, repaired damage in the bathroom, and non-working television. I'd say the room is worth $59-$69. But if you're looking for a hard to find "value" in Columbus, you could do far worse - or - pay far more.

The staff (front desk as well as housekeeping) were very helpful. The location, in Germantown, is very good.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Hope you don't need anything.

The morning front desk staff. Advertised breakfast. Watered down OJ, coffee, no creamers, and muffins. That was it. Asked about creamer. The guy couldn't be bothered. Stood out front in his sockin' feet smoking with a maid all morning. Came down a second time. Was finally told, "Ah...I guess we are out of cream" and went back out the door to smoke again. WOW! Some customer service.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Perfect For Guys' Hockey Trip!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

No unicorns bringing us donuts stacked on their horns each morning.

I chose this hotel for its location. Close to both the arena and the bar district. I was not disappointed! First, the immediate area has great German architecture and nice pubs. There is a donut shop and a White Castle within walking distance for late night/early morning carousing. We actually walked to both the arena and the awesome Hoffbrauhaus (worth a road trip itself). It was a long walk but we got good exercise. The price was good for the "almost center" of a minor US city. The hotel was roomy and clean. Parking is nice since the motel surrounds the lot. I stay in a lot of fleabag motels on my hockey trips. This was the one motel that I wouldn't mind taking my wife to! One note, I didn't have the breakfast.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

The location is in an interesting, beautiful neighbourhood...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The shower took a long time to heat up and then could either be very hot or slightly cold.

The location is in an interesting, beautiful neighbourhood with a lot of restaurants and bars nearby. The room was nice and big and the motel was very quiet when we stayed there.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Nice Place close to Downtown!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

On site parking can be a little tricky, but is no reason not to stay there!

Nice "Mom and Pop" type hotel. Clean, comfortable, and minutes to anywhere in Downtown Columbus! Many places to get inexpensive food and a great area to go for a stroll. We loved staying there and will definitely be back!

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Comfortable and reasonable.

It was close to where we needed to be in Columbus and the price was very good. The free bus was a short walk from the hotel and took us to the center of the city. The Schuller park nearby was excellent for walking.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Don't stay here!! Much better and cleaner places to stay in Columbus.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Pretty much everything! The bathroom was dirty, not swept, dingy room, very uncomfortable beds, police in and out, at a specific room, office and where breakfast was suppose to be was disgusting, dead bugs everywhere! No coffee cups in room, furniture in room dust all over them, I assume this room was not cleaned before arriving. Come to Columbus a lot and this is the worst place I have ever stayed at!

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable.

It was a little bit far from Great Columbus Convention Center, and the city was not too safe to walk at night.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable.The breakfast was good.The reception was too helpful.

Older facility but perfect for my overnight stay!

Nothing - was as expected

The facility is old so in need of updates etc... HOWEVER - this is exactly what I expected so not a surprise nor it it detract from my stay. I was looking for a convenient location for a concert at Nationwide Arena, and didn't want to spend a lot of money and this facility fit the bill exactly. We used Uber to go to and from (about $6.00 each way) I would highly recommend for those going to an event in town and looking to save a few $

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Economical and great location.

Microwave in room did not work. Continental breakfast was meager with only 2 tables in the lobby to use. Necessitated taking prepackaged danish back to the room, no caps for cups.

Location was great. Room was very very good. Staff was really extra nice.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Comfortable and nice area
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

They need to improve the breakfast, because is really poor.

Localizaton is pretty good, the rooms are spacey and comfortable. Good costs, TV are great.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Good value alternative lodging for attending show at convention center.

Outside passageways needed a good cleaning.

Located near restaurants and bars. German Village is historic and interesting. Easy to get taxi or uber driver for trip to convention center.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

It was a good experience.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

They are in the right direction. But, the bathtub needs to be renovated. I am not saying that the bathtub was dirty. It's just that the finish on the bathtub is starting to wear. But by the most part it was clean because the cleaning personnel made sure that everything was clean to the point were it smell clean.

I like the way the rooms were renovated

Good place for staying after long trip,nice room , good...

It is Motel so perfect for motel standard

Good place for staying after long trip,nice room , good location

Clean, good price for a one night stay. Would not stay longer than overnight.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Advertised free breakfast but staff said that was D/C sometime ago.

Clean and close to venue.

Size of the room the bed and bathroom

The check-in area although everything on its place was not clean the room spacious but dust on lamps

Size of the room the bed and bathroom

Very pleasant, comfortable. Germantown part of Columbus is great.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Hard to think of anything at this time.

Great location, easy walk to the park and shops nearby. Close to the State Capital, reasonable cost.

It was a very quiet and secured place to stay, it was exactly what i expected

Everything was great

How walkable it was to everything i wanted to see.

Nothing it was great

Nothing it was great

Exactly what I needed.

It was nice and quiet without any loud distractions perfect for my needs.

Good location close to center of town and price low. Not best section of town and smoking smell.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room had odor of smoking.

Great location to walk to many places.

Great location to walk to many places. Safe neighborhood.

Nice area, walking distance to alot of reasturants

Loud air-conditioning

Nice area, walking distance to alot of reasturants

Village Inn stay

Very clean location was perfect Surprised how quite being close to downtown