Reviews of W Chicago - City Center 4 stars

172 West Adams Street, Chicago Loop, Chicago, IL 60603, USA

#130 of 146 hotels in Chicago

4.7

• Wonderful King Room

check-in service was lousy. I was not told about the wifi being charged & when inquired I was asked to become SPG member to avoid WIFI charges. Even after signing up for SPG at the check-in counter I was charged for Wifi. Rooms and bathroom are like pigeon holes, no wonder while booking there was no mention of the sizes. I had stayed in W hotel in ASIA I can say with utmost confidence that W- Chicago City Center is the worst amongst the lot.

location is the only likable thing about this property.

• Cozy King Room

My wife likes the heavenly bed. I think next time we will stay at the Westin instead of the W.

My wife loves to stay at the W Lakeshore but we tried this location instead for this trip. She was disappointed that they did not have the "heavenly" bed and the feel of the hotel was not in line with what she usually expects from a W hotel.

• Wonderful King Room

We had booked a king room. The man checking us in asked us if we would like to be upgraded at no charge to a larger room. Only downside? It would be a queen bed. We sleep on a queen at home, so no big deal. HOWEVER, When we arrived in the top, it was not a queen, it was a full. Not sure why there was a reason to lie about he bed size.

I liked the size of the room. Also the decor was very nice. Parking was fairly close and the hotel was extremely central.

• Cozy King Room

I was charged more than I was initially told. Once I realized this I called the hotel and left a voice message but no one ever got back to me. I had to go through booking.com to get my money back. It was a very disappointing experience.

Rooms were nice and clean

• Cozy King Room

How can a hotel that caters to business travelers not have free wifi and coffee in the rooms? Sure, you can pay $15/day or get wifi down in the lobby, but this is not convenient and I probably wouldn't stay there again just for this reason.

The room was clean and modern, with nice details like a great sitting area and Bliss products in the bathroom

N/a

I arrived hours earlier than I had anticipated, no problem, I got right into a very clean, comfortable room. I asked for some decade coffee, minutes after I got in my room a complimentary coffee machine and coffee arrived. the location was perfect for me, loved the ambiance of the lobby, restaurant and bar. Will definitely retufn

• Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Maybe they need to add a fridge or microwave that was just a very very little down fall.

I loved the W Hotel. Good location. Inside the hotel was beautiful. And very nice people! And the rooms were comfy and clean

• Cozy King Room

Hotel cost $200+ per night you would think housekeeping would change the sheets prior to a new check in. Unfortunately, I didn’t get that courtesy!! I found strains of hair in the bed when it was time for bed the first night. The front desk attendant was extremely apologetic and housekeeping came to change the sheets immediately. The hotel is older, but has a nice vibe overall. I had a “cozy” room, which was extremely cozy. The room was uncomfortably small and the bathroom made it difficult to get dressed each morning. I wouldn’t stay again.

Convenient location, all the staff was really nice

• Wonderful King Room

I had the worst nightmare checking in in the hotel. The hotel manager claimed he never received my booking request and I had to wait for 3 hours at the reception on the phone with booking to try and accommodating me in another hotel as they claimed they were fully booked. After a long time, I managed to get the manager talk to booking and they magically made a room appear for me... Throughout this time they did not even offer me water! The staff was not helpful at all... At 9pm they gave me a room, and some vouchers for breakfast and drinks only to come back and see I was double charged from them! Their bar was still under renovation, so I could not have breakfast there and could only book room service, but they still charge me room delivery... bad service! I will never book this hotel anymore! Also, the rooms are noisy, as the hotel faces the CTA lines. if you can book the Marriott, just in front of the W.

• Cozy King Room

Room was very tight and there is no hotel parking.

It was hip and gears more towards a more younger or young at heart crowd. It's was centrally located as well. There was a parking garage not even a block away. We found out on our last day that there is a lounge, wish we would've have known but with that being said we'll diffently be back.

• Cozy King Room

They are renovating the hotel, no lobby, no bar, no restaurant. I was really disappointed. Don't go until you make sure the renovation is over. Unless you want to stay in your room

• Cozy King Room

The check in lobby is so dark it makes for a not-so-welcoming atmosphere. The shower made a screeching noise if you tried to turn the knob for hotter water. Also, there's no microwave or mini fridge in the room.

• Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Facilities, it was like the business hotel that people would live in around 1980's

Good convenience but low quality, not worthy at all. Please think twice before you decide to book this one!

• Cozy King Room

It was very dissapointing nothing like the one branch in central London or the one in manhattan. I had no idea they were going renovations or I wouldn’t have stayed.

• Wonderful King Room

The bathroom was extremely small. When use toilet your hip gets smashed against toilet paper roll. Also when stand up your bottom gets hit on sharp edge of toilet. Could not even relax with hot bath, water was always cold!

• Cozy King Room

No free Wi-FI, no free breakfast, the staff didn't know anything about the valet service, my tv wasn't working in my room and no free water in the room.

The room was spacious and comfortable.

• Wonderful King Room

We arrived to check in at 3:15 (check in time was 3:00) and they told us our room was not ready and we would have to wait half an hour to check in. After 30 minutes had passed and we still had not received a phone call that our room was ready, my fiance went up to the front desk to inquire. The lady at the front desk told him there was still no king room available so she put us in a queen room instead (we didn't have any more time to wait because we had to get ready for a work event). We were not reimbursed at all for our time waiting or the fact that we were downgraded to a queen room, which was so incredibly tiny (much smaller than the Wonderful King Room we had booked)

We liked that it was very modern and upscale with a great location in the city.

• Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms were small, you had to pay to use wi-fi in your room, parking at the hotel was $67 a day, and the rooms had double beds. The beds felt extremely small for two adults.

The hotel was kept extremely clean and staff was very polite and helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

The cost was more than I usually pay to stay at a W hotel. The clerk did not offer the free breakfast that came with the room rate, I had to call down to inquire about it. She could not find my Starwood member number, yet when I called Starwood, they were able to find it.

Comfortable bed and clean room

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Fabulous King Room

I have been to W Hong Kong before. Choosing W in Chicago was based on my previous experience. I was wrong! I didn't like almost everything with this hotel... We stayed there for three nights at Fabolous King Room. The downtown location is very convenient, however the area is very noisy day and night, police horns at 3am, nearby trains etc. When you're jetlagged you can't sleep. There's no amenities there, no kettle, no slippers etc. Room was very dark, the lighting system is insufficient. The view From 7th floor was only the next building. And of course if you can see anything, the windows were not cleaned for ages (see pictures attached). The bathroom was very disappointing too, basic american equiment, US visitors who haven't been outside their country might like it, but it's below european/international standard for a four star hotel. The gym/fitness area is a joke; few treadmills, leg press machine and one multifunctional, also few dumbbells. Room internet is 15 usd/night. On a one ocassion the staff haven't cleaned our room during their daily routine, so we had to ask for it and wait in a lobby. The entire hotel requires serious renovation, carpets, elevators and almost everything is worn out. It is not W franchise standard.

Location is in the city centre. Very close to get everywhere in downtown. Room was spacious.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Wonderful Queen Room

Only thing I didn't like was the fact the rooms didn't have bath robes but then again I did not ask the front office team if that is something that is provided.

I love the bed and pillows, it was very comfortable and easy to fall asleep on. I love how the hotel looks from the elegant decor to individual styles of the employee.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Wonderful King Room

No way on earth os it ok for breakfast to not be included for $300.00 plus. I find that absurd.

The room was nice, appeared clean and the bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Wonderful Queen Room

Clientele in lobby and hallway was very loud, rude who were not staying at the hotel but hanging out. Breakfast at restaurant in lobby was not great! The bathrooms in the room were TINY for my husband who is a larger guest.

Drinks were great, waitress was amazing, bed was comfy and great feel

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Fabulous King Room

Prices of in room bar and snacks could be cheaper. Should offer free Internet

Staff was great. Bar food and service was amazing. Loved the size of my room. Amenities were nice.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Spectacular King Room

Everything looked a bit shabby. I thought the W hotel was fairly posh, but it doesn't hold up against newer hotel chains. The people that worked at the hotel, though friendly, kind of ignored you, rarely helping open a door (while juggling two coffees) or making us wait a long time (at least 10 minutes) to check out.

The bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Cozy King Room

Located in bussniss district. Many cafes and restaurant close very early. Rooms are very small. Staff sometimes stressed

Nice lobby and transportation to conference centre was good

• Cozy Queen Room

Very smsll, dirty room. Fuzz all over carpet like it wasn't even vacuumed. Bed was only top mattes and very uncomfortable. And we thought we were splurging staying at The W! Horrible place

Location was ok

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

ATM wasn't functioning properly didn't dispense money very inconvenient even though it wasn't staffs fault.

Overall service, location, look, feel of hotel

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Spectacular King Room

Had to pay for wifi, which in todays age I find unacceptable, especially when travelling for business. Room was never cleaned properly, at best the bed was made. No Tea and Coffee facilities in the room. When you travel internationally and wake at random hours, you dont want to be calling room service and par $$$ for a cup of tea!

Location was great

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Wonderful Queen Room

I wonder what is wonderful about the wonderful queen room? Is a very small depressing less than ordinary 2 star room for a very steep price. I'm very disappointed with my stay I come to Chicago on regular basis this is the worst hotel experience for me in Chicago so far. I tried to change the hotel and check out the hotel refused to refund the rest of my stay.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Wonderful Queen Room

Wifi was NOT free - amazing in a nice hotel. Also the tv was not in working order.

Very comfortable bed and quiet room.The staff was wonderful -everyone nice helpful and efficient.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Wonderful Queen Room

Internet only for some members, otherwise almost 15 dollars per day (free wifi just in lobby). Not enough space in wardrobe if you have bigger luggage (e.g. longer stay).

Good location of the hotel in the Loop near at least 3 Metra stations in walking distance. Clean, nice rooms, excellent bed, useful room equipment etc. Ideal for business travelers.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Spectacular King Room

everything about the hotel. The reception area doesn't look like an hotel at all. rough with tattered rug/carpet, no wifi, no breakfast, rude staff,room was not what was posted online, too small(but only good for students --teen) and not for business men at all), had to pay for wifi, pay for adaptor per day at $420 per night... worst hotel have ever stayed in the US men. If it sound like lies, please go across the road to JW Marriot and see their looby( Light and darkness), Central loop hotel is three blocks away but super neat, free wifi etc.

LOCATION was superb anyway.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Wonderful King Room

Hardly any natural light in the room, but not too bad if you're in Chicago to live at night. The corridors didn't give me a W vibe. Decoration needs to be rethought there.

Comfortable rooms, though strangely laid-out. Loved the Bluetooth compatible sound system. Good amenities. Staff was always helpful and friendly. Beautiful lobby.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Wonderful Queen Room

I've stayed at other Ws and I've always felt that the interior design was nice- modern and chic. The interior design at the lounge, lobby and bar area at this one was tacky. The couches in the front lounge looked like they were made of pleather. Also, the two times I tried to get help from the concierge she had her gaze down at her computer and wouldn't even look at me until I said something and then she would like at me like I was bothering her.

the staff was very friendly and nice - except the concierge.

• Wonderful King Room

Didn’t have a pool or spa

The beds are super comfortable and the breakfast is amazing ! Great customer service.

• Wonderful King Room

Parking was as much the hotel People should have known the parking is very expensive

• Wonderful King Room

the bathroom was too small

bed was nice and big

• Wonderful King Room

Construction made it loud but I know that can't be helped

Location good clean loved the pencil paper and stylus.

• Wonderful King Room

Room was smaller than expected.

Great location! Staff was very friendly.

The service

Television didn't work all night

• Cozy King Room

I had to pay for a microwave overall everything was nice

The staff was very nice

• Cozy King Room

The bathroom is very small

Great Location

NA

Location and comfort

• Mega King Room

Location and comfy sitting areas through the lobby and promenade floor.

Everything but food

Everything but food

Lobby under construction

Expensive valet parking.

Clean and upscale.

• Cozy King Room

Could have indicated hotel was being renovated.

• Spectacular King Room

Still under construction, so that might be a better hotel when construction is done.

• Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

My room had a wonderful view of the Willis Tower, complete with the sound of the Metro going by at all hours.

No water in the room.

Good location.

• Wonderful King Room

Small rooms, facility was okay

• Wonderful King Room

Our bathroom tub was peeling

Location and style

expensive to park.

comfortable beds

• Wonderful King Room

comfortable bed. close walking distance to many eateries, Museum of Art, Grant Park, and Willis Tower.

• Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

The price to park could have been better

I loved the shower it was amazing

• Cozy Queen Room

It was a tiny room but good location, not worth the money though

• Wonderful Queen Room

All the things are there ok

• Wonderful King Room

Staff was unhelpful, restroom was not working and no one come to fix it.

Close to the activities

• Cozy Queen Room

walls were thin so I was able to hear people in the other room.

My room was so cozy. They have a great service.

• Wonderful Queen Room

$65 for parking! If I would of know that's what they charged I would have picked another hotel

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Miscommunication with some staff

My wife and I always enjoy the W chicago city center

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

• Cozy King Room

No bathrobes, the photos showed robes, that was a bit disappointing

The bed was super comfortable, staff helpful and friendly and the room clean

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Wonderful King Room

Quite easy to hear noise in other rooms and hallways

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

The smell of the room

The location and the facilities

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Cozy King Room

Room size. Bathroom was a closet

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Cozy King Room

The room and overall hotel had an eclectic style and the bed was so comfortable!

• Wonderful King Room

Room was smaller than anticipated, bathroom door didn't close all the way, room service didn't come one of the days

Close proximity to train

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Wonderful King Room

There was mold in the bathroom causing a stench throughout my entire stay.

The staff moved very swift.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Mega Double Room

Customer service was terrible

Location is good for tourists

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Cozy Queen Room

no wifi in rooms no proper restaurant within hotel

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

wifi was expensive.

Well located and convenient. Staff were accommodating with early check-in. Useful info from concierge. Overall a pleasant stay

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016