Reviews of W Chicago - Lakeshore 4 stars

644 North Lakeshore Drive, Streeterville, Chicago, IL 60611, USA

#114 of 155 hotels in Chicago

5.1

• Reviewed: 20 October 2018

Decent, not worth the price
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

This W hotel has luxe hotel prices but is not a luxe hotel. The decor is extremely dated - it looks like a cast-off from any given season of Ru Paul’s drag race is chief interior designer. The property was probably hip at one point but generally has not been kept up well: the carpets are dated, every door has scratches on them, paint missing on numbers in elevator, bathtub had yellow stains and loose fixtures, etc. Location is near a bunch of medical centers; feels like this place got built from a zoning exception. City center prob would have been better choice for us. At check-in they asked if I wanted to “go green” and forgo towel and linen changes during our stay. I asked if they would still make bed. They said no. You can still “go green” and get a bed made. This felt like an obvious cost-cutting measure, but again you’re paying luxe hotel prices.

Bed was comfy and nice view of Lake Michigan. Staff was nice.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

Great Views, Friendly Staff and a fantastic place to watch sunrise :-)
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

The swimming pool area is looking very dated and in need of a clean

Food in the bar was great. Loved the music downstairs - Ibiza chilled vibe which is one of my favourite things

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

The room was very nice!
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Parking was expensive, and we didn’t valet because that cost even more. Also, our room was charged from the bar that we didn’t visit. Fortunately it was taken care of immediately and we didn’t have to pay that bill.

The bed was SUPER comfortable, there was plenty of space in the room, and the water in the shower warmed up very quickly.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

Charged twice & tried calling long distance twice with...
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Everyone passed the phone to someone else No one helped me to resolve being charged twice

Charged twice & tried calling long distance twice with no response or correction

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

It could have been better. We didn’t even have a fridge in our rooms.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

The picketing outside due to the strike was unpleasant & very loud. The lack of staff. My Daughter was there for four nights & they had no maid service at all. For what we paid we should have at least had clean rooms everyday.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

BITTER/SWEET “W Lakeshore” stay. But Chicago is FABULOUS!!!
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

1. The hotel Staff was striking so we had no room services after a couple days we had to call and request our room to be cleaned. After a couple days we also had to keep calling for towel linens. What is most upsetting is that someone should have notified us BEFORE our arrival to let us know all of this mess was going on. Perhaps we could have chosen a different place.

Location was fabulous .... the W Lakeshore is a beautiful hotel with fabulous rooms, restaurant and gym. I’m sure it’s wonderful when the staff isn’t striking! Learned a valuable lesson....call ahead to make sure there is not a hotel staff strike going on!!! Our room was Fabulous with a great view of Lake Michigan, however, we had a commode leak on-top of all of the striking. Every day someone came to “repair the commode”.....when we left ....it was still leaking!!! My husband was like “if they would just give me the tools I will fix it”. This was a supposed maintenance man and I do believe he was but unsuccessful consecutively to repair a commode leak. We told them exactly where it was leaking and he and another man would look at each other in disbelief that we knew where the leak was like we couldn’t see where the water was coming from since they couldn’t. (although it was tank water, to be using the RR sitting between water leaking on each side of you is GROSS). We inquired about just moving us but they apologetically denied our request saying they were full. Chicago was a wonderful vacation but soured quickly after returning from a long day seeing and doing the city when we had to “deal” with the mess of the bathroom in our room. Call ahead, make sure there is no strike going on!

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Everyday I was there was like coming and going from my new family and home.
    • Fabulous King Room with Lake View

That I was not rich enough to stay longer. For the most part I have no complaints. Halls could be lighter coming in at night to a new place not home. The windows reflections made it hard trying to capture a picture of the lake.

The welcome was great. But step back to the time I spoke to staff before even leaving my home. The Concierge's were awesome. Lois and Joanne. They each worked to have this trip ready before I arrived. I was coming by myself to see Chicago. They set me up with the Scoot-around company so I would have mobility in the city. Helped me find tours and where to find there stops. Moved all my things to the best room for my abilities. The Bell men always knew when I left and watched that I got back. They helped me with Cab's and where and how to get to Restaurants... Because I got around mostly on scooter, they told me the safest routes to go. When I came back after hours, I guess I looked tied. Nicolas went and got me a water. Which I had not been drinking. Using my room card on the elevator was hard to do on the scooter. Staff would come and do it for me. My maid was great! Trying to get in my room meant opening the door and holding it open to drive the scooter in. Impossible! alone. My maid would always come hold the door when in the halls. She also got me a door stop so when no one was around I was able to enter the room. The friendliness at the "W" was TOP.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

‘Beautiful City view’ was a directline view of another high...
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

‘Beautiful City view’ was a directline view of another high rise building. Sink plug refused to open. Air con crazy noisy. However worst of all was the arrogant ‘I’m right’ attitude of the front desk over the weekend with regard to what had been told to me by other staff and that she refused to acknowledge. Inferring clients are liars doesn’t really sit well.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

The location was excellent and close to all the attractions
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The cleaning was not what I would have expected from this line of hotels. We never did get our room cleaned. Don’t accept the “green option” because even if you change your mind and ask for the cleaning they won’t get to it. I think they need more cleaning staff. Though the cleaning staff was nice and tried to help. I also didn’t expect to not have coffee, microwave or refrig in the room as they were listed as amenities. You have to request everything.

The location was excellent and close to all the attractions

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Beautiful facilities, staff needs retraining on conflict management.
    • Marvelous King Room with Lake View

Communication with staff es terrible. There was a strike and we found out when we arrived that our room was not going to be made every day. We understood the situation but neither were we called in advance to advise us nor were we informed when the strike was over. At the end, during our trip, housekeeping only went once to our suite. When I called to speak with a manager, they left me on hold for a while and after I hung up no one called me back. Expectations were handled poorly.We were offered a refund of $75 per day but when I received the final invoice, the discount had not been applied despite having a note on the account and I had to speak to the front desk staff and corrections to the bill were made. Also printer in business room did not work during our entire stay.

Room and view were amazing

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

We had a great time in Chicago with our friends.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Thought the drinks at the bar were overpriced, the food was a little high priced.

The location is fabulous, close to Navy Pier. The lobby and bar/restaurant were very trendy, the food was okay, the service was slow. The staff was fantastic. The phones never worked, we reported that but it was not repaired. There was a labor strike while we were there, we were disappointed that the hotel didn't tell us before. We would have still stayed. At this time there was no cleaning of rooms except after you left. NO problem, 3 nights I can sleep in the same sheets. I might give it a try again when there is no strike.

It’s not 4.6 it’s 2.0
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

Employees were on strike there was no room service the pool wasn’t open the options on tv we’re poor toilet didn’t flush all the way and valet parking was too expensive

The location and view were absolutely nice

Location was fab and some of the staff were pleasant not all.
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Housekeeping staff on strike we weren't informed before our arrival..Room wasn't cleaned during our stay and had to request for towels loo roll etc.....

Location was fab and some of the staff were pleasant not all....

For what I paid expected more! A view at least.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

The bathroom grout needed some attention. No bar fridge or kettle even though you could call for one! Pool was closed as well. Bar staff not very attentative or friendly.

The atmosphere of the room was nice and modern. The bed was very comfortable with nice sheets.

I don’t think I’ll be staying at a W hotel again.
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Where do I begin? Poor communication from the staff on how the billing would go. We asked to split the bill at check in and were told we could handle it at the end of our stay, and that they were only holding a card for incidentals and nothing would be charged. Their version of a “hold” is to charge you for the total cost of your stay plus an additional 50%. It worked out for us, but what if the guest was on a limited budget and didn’t account for this? The pool was closed, which was one of the main reasons we booked the hotel. They were in the middle of a hospitality strike, and should have made us aware prior to our arrival.

The proximity to most Chicago activities is ideal.

Don’t stay here
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

There was a housekeeping & room service strike going on - they were picketing outside & there was no housekeeping (nary a roll of toilet paper provided for my entire 3 night stay). I was told when I checked in. I asked if it was city wide & the check in person said yes but did not offer any sort of discount. We later that night went to see my uncle at the Sofitel where they were receiving housekeeping services. I did not see picketers at any other hotel. I complained in the morning & the woman said the Sofitel has backup support. And yet I was still never offered any sort of room discount. When I pushed I was given a $75 credit toward anything I bought at hotel. Pretty lame for a 3 night stay. One night I decided to get 2 glasses of champagne for my mother & I & the bartender tried to charge me $5 extra per glass. When we pointed that out, she scowled at us but then corrected the error. Overall, I would never stay at this hotel again. Also, for those that like a small refrigerator or mini bar/snacks...not automatically offered. You have to ask to access it. 🙄

Bed was reasonably comfortable & room layout & decor was nice

It was Ooooo.Kkkkk.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

the cost of the daily parking. #ugh. The smallness of the room.

The food in the restaurant downstairs. The ambiance outside. The design of the lobby.

Hotel is OK. Definitely would stay somewhere else next time.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

We were there for 3 nights/4 days and no one came to clean our room during the entire stay; never brought extra clean towels. Pool was ugly and looked deserted. This was my first time in Chicago and I was celebrating my Birthday.

Comfortable bed. Location was not bad. Lobby was pretty (probably the best thing about the hotel).

The staff that filled in was accommodating.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Apparently, there was a strike with the hospitality staff that started the day that we checked in. We had an option to stay with relatives and declined for a bit more privacy. I would have changed my mind and stayed with them had I known about the strike. The W should have sent out an e-mail explaining that there would be a strike happening and I could have made an informed decision.

The staff that filled in was accommodating...

There were ants in our room, called main desk and was...
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

There were ants in our room, called main desk and was switched to a different room, more like downgraded to a different room. Hotels were semi- clean. Would not recommend hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Great location, nice staff, but rooms need updating.
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Again the rooms need attention furniture is a little beat up, the vents are FULL OF DUST, I found a glass of old beer in my closet. the spiders on the outside where a bit much too, watching the sunrise out your beautiful windows and them crawling on the outside windows was creepy. Also gum was on my desk chair

I loved location and the room was nice but a bit worn out and not really clean... the windows where covered in spiders so when you looked out your beautiful window at Lake Michigan you saw these creepy spiders. Room service was super expensive for what you got, food was okay... because of spider situation it made me not want to use outside sun deck or pool and gym, I just felt it wasn’t clean enough. On a good note Nick who helped me when I arrived was super! He helped me get a nicer room, like the one I had requested before I arrived, and was super friendly and showed sincere interest in my stay and offering suggestions. I will come back but I hope they take some of this to heart. Fun vibe in the evenings, lively bar area with again a great view.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

This is an ideal spot and a lovely hotel!
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

We didn't really like the pool but it didn't matter.

Best location in the city! Great valet attendants and all staff were polite and attentive. We requested a lake view and were rewarded with a spectacular view of Navy Pier from the 30th floor where we watched glorious sunrises, crazy thunderstorms, and an incredible double-rainbow over the lake. The rainbow was a great touch - thanks for that!

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Excellent, Pleasant and Safe.

Glass window dirty on the outside.

Now my mini get away hotel. Bed was comfy, romantic million dollar view of the lake, housekeeping not bothering me while I slept in, priceless! Hopefully everything in the room in general was well sanitizer from previous use. Proximity to restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc. was very good. Bottom line is, my stay was Excellent and Pleasant. And for some odd reason, I felt safe at the W Lakeshore considering it was Chitown.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Location was nice.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

Room I requested wasn’t available, so I was switched to a city view instead of a lake view, and to compensate, they offered me WiFi(not needed), and a joke of a breakfast. The actual breakfast we had at the hotel was not cheap, and the parking was $67/night

Location was nice. Staff was nice

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Well above average, location was great
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

Unfortunately our room was adjoining the elevators. That was a little noisy for a light sleeper. Not a deal breaker just a let down

Location, within a few minutes uber ride of the local attractions that were on our list

Very good location and views from rooms. Had to ask for room away from elevators for more quiet.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

The Buffet Breakfast was too expensive.. The rooms did not have a coffee maker in it. I did not know I had to ask for one, was told the coffee was set up in the bar downstairs in lobby.

Location was excellant for walking to Navy Pier and around downtown Concierge men helped us many times to catch taxi's or ride to airport

Overall, it was okay.
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Parking was ridiculously expensive. No fridge or microwave in the room. Breakfast was extra for hot food. Could have went to a holiday inn and for breakfast, parking, and fridge and microwave and payed less.

• Wonderful King Room with City View

Paid 65$ on first night for a pizza that was priced at 15$ and chips 8$ on room menu and two beers and a bottle of water.. was late arriving so was too tired and hungry to dispute it

Great location.. excellent views. Walking distance to all the good locations. Got room upgraded when we got there which was nice as flight was delayed 6 hours

Good hotel but noisy room during the night.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

We upgraded our room to lakeview, and were put in a room next to the elevator. We had to deal with the noise of the elevator in our room, throughout the night. we felt cheated. We were given one free day of parking as compensation, but that was not enough considering how much we paid for this room.

Nice hotel in a good location.

Nice hotel to spend a few days in Chicago. A couple of hiccups but nothing major.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Keys were not available at checkin. System problem Room was not made up until evening one day. Fresh towels took over an hour to arrive after calling down. Lake view window was disgustingly dirty. Discount card at spa in room not applied when massage was paid for. Back up Toilet paper and plastic cups not replaced.

Bed very comfortable. Staff very friendly. Free coffee in lobby in the morning a nice perk. Great view of the Navy Pier. Nice places to eat within walking distance.

Location only
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Old rooms, very loud AC old system - even on auto mode doesnt shut off, sheet with stains, coffee machine and mini fridge upon request not convenient at all

Location only

WiFi isn’t free.
    • Fabulous King Room with Lake View

WiFi isn’t free.. they charged me$15 per day for the WiFi. Also, they took about $200 as fee for my 3 nights stay in addition to not having mini par, fridge, microwave. Never back again

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

The location was ideal - so close to Navy Pier and the local...
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

It was very expensive once the taxes etc were added on.

The location was ideal - so close to Navy Pier and the local area. The view from my room over the lake was great too.

Nice but needs some extras for the money
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

No coffee maker, no refrigerator and bathroom had no where to hang towels or set things to get ready in the morning.

The view and the closeness to everything.

Wonderful view and location.
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The pillows, the heavy comforter, the straight shower, the sink, the bathroom door with no privacy, the bed gives us backache and pain in the neck, the bathroom glass window Disturbed us when light is turned on at night to use the bathroom while others sleep. Oh and the parking wasn't included.

The cleanest, the staff, the location wonderful, the fitness center, everything else except for the above mentioned.

Spiders everywhere, & the stopper in the sink in...
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Spiders everywhere, & the stopper in the sink in bathroom was jammed, went down told front desk & nobody ever came to fix it. Then for the view they trick you & told me it was $30 more to add (Lakeview) & charged me $82 extra!

Terrible experience.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

When we arrived the hotel staff stated to me they didn't have any king beds available only double beds. I'm 6'3" and in need of at least a queen side bed alongside when sleeping with my wife based on sheer room. The only thing they could do for me is give me a Lakeview room versus a cityview. The hotel staff was apathetic however the manager was a bit more nice. When you pay for a King size bed and do not receive one it is very disappointing. I almost forgot another incident that was equally disturbing. We were paying codes coming walking back to the hotel and a security gentleman looked at as we were approaching the lobby. We continued onto the elevator and the security gentleman briskly walks to the elevator area in order to take a peek which speaks volumes in 2018. Hotel should be named R for rejection versus W.

Location of the hotel.

Terrible customer service employees don’t care the property is not well maintained
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Terrible customer service ... waited hour and half for the room .... waited 45 with two phone calls to get luggage to the room . Asked for a fridge never got it . Check in was at 3 room wasn’t ready . Employees are not trained well manager rolling eyes when I complained. Nobody knows what is going on . The manager of the vallet/bell boys was the only one who helped at all . Just a terrible experience

The bed was comfy

The Best

There's nothing I Love this hotel 100%

The view of the city & lake very clean spotless. Food was delicious the staff was very nice 100% to there visitors. This is the best hotel I recommend to everyone to stay. I Love outside in front of the hotel which is the patio where you can eat, listen to music and watch t.v.view the lake and freeway from day and night

Great staff, not worth the price.
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The hotel is beautiful and staff is great. The view is very, very nice. And the bar it´s good. I´d love the selfies booth in the entrance. Nice!!! However the common areas were dirty and needed maintenance. The atmosphere was nice, but it is not worth the price. You can find better hotels in Chicago for the same amount.

The stay was ok.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

The cleanliness of the room was poor throughout the stay. Housekeeping did a good job of making the bed and that’s about all.

The bed and pillows were comfortable.

Disappointing stay with unwelcoming staff and unkempt rooms.
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Our room had not been cleaned in some time (dust on all surfaces, dirty shower tile, empty tissue and toilet paper) the staff at the hotel behaved as though they were put out by guests and were very unwelcoming, requests for basic essentials (e.g., towels, toiletries, tissue, toilet paper) took several days and reminders to be fulfilled, and the hotel took every opportunity to charge for additional items (we were asked to choose between free Wi-Fi or having our room cleaned). Although the location and views cannot be beat, the hotel severely lacked in service and quality.

The location and view were amazing.

Great hotel, great location in a great city I would highly recommend a visit
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Stock for coffee maker in the room was not replenished in my total 12 day stay.

Great location for families right next to Navy Pier with lots to see and do. Just a quick walk away from Michigan Ave

I loved the view and the style of the hotel it was very...
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

For what the customers pay to stay there parking should have been free along with breakfast. There should also be refrigerators in the rooms as well. Walls need to be repainted and the crack in the sliding bathroom doors need to be fixed, you can see directly in the bathroom...a little disturbing!

I loved the view and the style of the hotel it was very beautiful.

It was okay, wouldn't come back
    • Fabulous King Room with Lake View

Our Wi-Fi didnt work, beds were uncomfortable, the t.v didnt have nextflix or youtube and we were denied a mini fridge and had to throw all our food away. Wish we picked a different hotel.

The view

Hotel is ok but I feel for the money I shouldn't have to wait almost two hours for a room!
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

Had a 90 min wait to get into my room. I was told it would be an hour and I would be contacted when it was ready and at 90 min I had to ask for a room because mine was still not ready!

Appearance of hotel is nice though some of the decor is over the top.

Loved it. Super trendy very good location 10/10!
    • Fabulous King Room with Lake View

Parking was expensive. Also we wish there was a bit more space in the bath room. A fridge available in the room. And there were some pretty noticeable scratches in the furniture that wasn’t super appealing. But nothing too crazy just little things.

The service was wonderful. The room was cool and trendy and I felt like there was always something there to impress us. I loved our room we had beautiful views of Lake Michigan. As well as navy pier and oak street beach. Well located and very cool overall feel. I would 100% stay here again!

It was very pleasant and I would certainly come back and stay at the W.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

The business center/ use of computer is not for free ! Especially for the prices and value of stay. I thought it was unnecessary.

The window deck/seat was AWESOME, you could just sit there and look at the lake for hours.( our room had a lake view) The bed was extra. The Hallway was very hype and cool. Overall, the hotel was very nice and chic.

Great place.
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

We had a 3pm check in. We didn't get our room key until 5pm. We were given a free bottle of champagne for our wait.

It is in a great location. Right by Navy Pier,the beach, and magnificent mile.

Disappointing and not conducive to a business trip
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

No free WiFi in the room is very poor for a hotel of this calibre. The restaurant was dirty, the floor had not been cleaned at all. Service at the bar and the restaurant was slow and poor overall.

Comfortable bed, excellent location

I've stayed in much less expensive hotels in Chicago that offered far better customer service.
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The service was not very good. The people at the front desk were kind of rude. We were running late for our spa appointments, due to terrible traffic, at the in house spa. I asked a woman in uniform that was just standing at the front counter not helping anyone if we could go to the spa first and check in later? She told me I'd have to ask one of the clerks helping people at the counter. So I stood in line for a long time and just checked in, making me late for the spa. Room service messed up our order, it took them 4 visits to our room to get it right. The next morning when we came downstairs looking to see if we could eat breakfast in the hotel, we stood at what we thought was a hostess stand for way too long. Several employees looked towards us, only to quickly avoid eye contact, and continue about their business. There was no one behind the bar to ask for assistance and the line at the front counter for check in was too long to stand in so we just got an Uber to another location for breakfast. We paid the fee for valet parking and had to get our car three times. Each time, we were greeted and our number taken but we were left waiting while they got the next two or three cars for people that came in after us.

The location is great for walking to many great spots downtown, beautiful views. Nice, clean rooms, comfy beds.

Great place to stay for a weekend getaway.
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Would liked to have a coffee maker in the room. Rooms could use a little updating. Air conditioning in room was a little tricky to set. It either ran constantly or not at all.

Great view of Navy Pier and the fireworks there at night. Loved the rocking chairs out front. Location is very convenient to walk to Michigan avenue and lots of great restaurants close to hotel.

Breathtaking place
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Perfect place for romantic staying in Chicago. Windows view to Lake is amazing. The hotel is directly at waterfront, the surround is breathtaking. We spend here our last night our USA holiday and this place exceeding our expetations.

The good days are gone
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

Pool area was filthy, the water cloudy, they wanted to fix this but it didn’t happen. We didn’t receive the room we booked because “you booked via booking.com”. Team behaves bad, sloppy, arrogant. We decided to take it to the CEO of Marriott Hotels

Why Would We Want...W
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

Why the black walls dark & dreary, Male staff unpleasant, A/c too noisy, Very average food.

This was my first W experience. Having stayed in several Yotels i expected W to be similar full of young people partying up surprisingly however this W hotel was a far older crowd many 35+ looking people. Arriving several hours before check in we unfortunately had to wait for our room the lady 'Vicky' on the counter was really really super nice & emailed us a few hours later to say we could check in. Interestlingly all the female staff here were ok but the males were all very stand offish the worst being the older guy who may have been security wearing a suit down the ramp on entrance level when looking for the pool i got a bit lost & he very aggresivley told me i was in the wrong place also two younger guys standing near the check in area continualy chatting & giggling with each other like two 12 yo school kids were equally unhappy & unhelpful. The location of the hotel is northern Chicago close to the Pier & a beach so great in summer, winter it may be very far out of the way as there are no real restaurants in this area or attractions. The hotel is an ageing modern beauty, this may be problem with been too modern your hotel is going to age rapidly with chain mail hanging down & black halls with dim lighting, it actually has an orgy swingers club look about it (so I've been told).... The room had a great view of the lake but came at a more expensive price tag. There was an iron, safe, good tv, ice bucket etc.The room a/c was built into the wall rather than ceiling & was loud even on the lowest setting. The bathroom was good with a bath, over head shower, plenty of towels & nice toiletries. Facilities wise very good gym with a great size & deep pool. We ate at the downstairs bar again staff were standoffish but improved over time food very average... drinks top notch. Why all the W nonsense the whatever, wet blah blah just sounds obnoxious.

• Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Very loud lobby (night club music played loud all day) A location that is remote vs center / other hotels Not very friendly staff Disappointing breakfast - with long wait to get a table Very old bathroom

Never again
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

The verbiage and manner used by the person at the front desk check in, the tacky wall decoration at the check in, the fact that we need to request a fridge for the bedroom (worst than a 2 star hotel), how the hotel is lacking building maintenance: cracks, worn out (check room 1705 mirror)

Concierge customer service very poor. The person that did our check in was very condescending. I feel I got better service at a Holiday Inn

The white girl receptionist her reaction so bad I also leave...
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The white girl receptionist her reaction so bad I also leave my milk box that I pump for my baby with them because in the room don’t have freezer and I got the card that they said when I need it back just show this card On the next day when I come back to hotel I ask my stuff and I’m waiting but too long so I told guy receptionist when you found please someone take my stuff to my room because I must to keep it in luggage but no one bring to my room then I go down for check out she just said I didn’t found your stuff.Why no one don’t call to my room or inform me anything ??and let me wait while I hurry to going to airport!! Finally,she call her manager and manager go to find and found my stuff!! What it’s mean? However, this hotel the bell boy,black girl receptionist and manager so nice thank you for help us. One thing,The bathtub not good can’t keep water and we stay 3 person but the hotel just give only 1 water bottle!!

The location was amazing, very short walk to navy pier.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds and Lake View

My only complaint was the trash cans not having garbage bags. Outside of that, it was a fantastic place to stay. And that’s not even a big complaint. I’d recommend this hotel to everyone.

The location was amazing, very short walk to navy pier. Comfortable beds. Great place to stay!

Our 33rd Wedding Anniversary Getaway
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Menu at restaurant very limited in food selections. Pool area needed cleaning around pool edge. Walls thin, could hear next door bathroom use.

Loved the bedding, slept well. Enjoyed the bar, George made tasty Martinis. On site parking a must, and staff very helpful and friendly.

Disappointing - value not there for price we paid.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Room could have been cleaner and updated. Looked shabby and in need of a refresher. Hallways way too dark! Check in area too crowded and the space is too small. It needs to be reconfigured as people are spilling out into bar area and lobby and then you CANNOT get to the elevators or ask a question. The concierge was NOT friendly.

View of lake from the hallway! View from room was not good for the expensive rate we paid.

Cheap brand
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Breakfast should have disclosed the hot or cold food. After all what the hell is hot add $5 more? I thought I already paid upfront for my breakfast. Felt cheap and cheated. Unnecessarily and make W brand low

Should have disclose all hidden fees

We arrived the night of our wedding and to our surprise we...
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

We arrived the night of our wedding and to our surprise we were upgraded to a suite and given a late check out. Service was excellent and in room service speedy. Would highly recommend.

No refrigerator, light bulbs out in hanging light fixture...
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

No refrigerator, light bulbs out in hanging light fixture,small lamp was not working for two days , outlet on lamp didn’t work. But probably the most frustrating thing was the ice machine didn’t work for 3 days on the 25 th floor forcing me to go up and down the elevator to find ice. When I reported this the answer I received was there is ice on every floor. Or I could call and they would bring me some. Well for one if I want ice I don’t want to wait 20-25 minutes for it. And secondly when the 25 th floor has no ice that means the 24th and 26th are hit and miss. Loved the hotel itself , and would probably stay there again. However this go around was not bang for buck. For an Anniversary

Before we checked in we were told we could pay in cash as...
    • Fabulous King Room with Lake View

Before we checked in we were told we could pay in cash as long as the hold for damages could be charged. Totally fine. When we got to the hotel we paid in cash and the lady kept running our card saying it was declined. There were people in line, she tried a few times and we eventually got on the phone with our bank who told us she was trying to run the full amount for the room even after she had the cash we paid. So, we were in line, frustrated and even slightly embarrassed because she was trying to run the incorrect amount.

Room was great, enjoyed hanging out in the lobby
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Wifi should be included with the room, given how expensive the room was. Charging for wifi makes it seem like you’re staying at a cheap hotel that nickel and dimes people

Room was great, enjoyed hanging out in the lobby

Really cool, modern style room with an awesome view.
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Only complaint would be that housekeeping never came by the one day we left our "do not disturb" sign off the door.

Really cool, modern style room with an awesome view.

I will stay here again.
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

The shower in my room was gorgeous until it didn’t drain properly. Water flowed out all over the bathroom floor.

I will stay here again. All was great. Gorgeous view over the lake and Navy Pier.

Overall was a great stay. Can't say enough good things about the W.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

The valet fee could've been more competitive.

The service was exceptional, they had complimentary champagne, the decor was very trendy, great city view, and excellent staff personality. I would definitely recommend anyone on the fence to go. It was a great experience!

The stay was satisfactory but we will probably choose another hotel next time we visit Chicago.
    • Wonderful Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The bath tub didn’t work, the drain plug didn’t function properly and wouldn’t seal. It held water while you showered and drained very slowly but wouldn’t hold water to bath. My wife was excited most to use the bath as we have only a shower at home, this was a deal breaker for her...also, she thought she read on the site that there was a hot tub....but...definitely not a hot tub.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating

Nice hotel but they need to be more organized
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

Requested a room with a view of either the water or the city for my wife’s birthday when we arrived they didn’t have a lot of things the view being one that I think I paid extra for we were supposed to be on a high floor but was told they didn’t have anymore rooms in the higher level but I called and confirmed over the phone 2 hrs prior to arriving requested a microwave and refrigerator that didn’t happen because they were out and again asked for it prior to check in Was told parking would be discounted due to them not being able to accommodate the other things but it wasn’t

How the room was decorated

Room and bathroom very nice but not clean.
    • Wonderful King Room with City View

People very rude.Not nice at all.November access to anything at all that you my need for your room.

Room and bathroom very nice but not clean. Rude tenets.

Excellent we will defiantly be staying again in the future.
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

The elevator noise in the rooms need to be addressed. Probably nothing can be done and it doesn't wake you up but if your just relaxing in your room during the day it is really noticeable.

Loved the view of navy pier out our window. It really is as good as the hotel says it is.the staff is very friendly and helpful. Being able to walk every where was also a plus not having to pay all the extra money for parking.

Not bad considering the price. But not how I expected W hotel would be.
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

Don't buy their breakfast online! I bought the "breakfast included" and I was told that means I could have the "cold dishes" only---meaning cereal boxes and over night bread. I had to pay extra for the eggs and bacon. Ironically the eggs were cold. The second day we just skipped breakfast.

it was a great quick getaway, great location, loved the lighting in the hallways
    • Spectacular King Room with Lake View

better signs for where things are located, it took us a while to find the pool, didn't know it was inside the gym, maybe the time of check in they could explain where things are locatef

I thought it was awesome that you guys had apples everywhere LOL nice pool area and gym too