Reviews of W Los Angeles – West Beverly Hills 4 stars

930 Hilgard Avenue, Westwood, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA

#173 of 352 hotels in Los Angeles

• Wonderful Room

The reservation was difficult to see the room type after I booked it. I ended up booking the wrong type of room. Could not get my money back when I checked out early. Will never recommend this hotel.

• Wonderful Room

I had an event to attend at UCLA. Last time I was in W.L.A., I stayed at the Hotel Angelino and gave it an extremely poor review based on intrusive freeway noise and broken elevators. The W? The W exceeded expectations in every way...

• Wonderful Room

Bathroom designed really badly as you have to be super careful with water from the shower as it wets the whole bathroom and trickles into the room. Secondly, communication amongst staff was terrible which really impacted the service we received (in a negative way).

Location great, room was OK.

• Spectacular Double Suite

don't over book. kept me waiting for 2 hours to get my room and I checked in at 4:00 as well as pre-paid Had to change into dinner clothes in the lobby restroom finally got my confirmation that my room was finally ready while eating dinner. I don't complain a lot but this place should be avoided if you don't have extreme patience Don't even think of bringing young kids!

the room was good sized and had 2 TV's in separate rooms

• Fabulous Suite

We are a family of four and had a two bedroom/plus living room suite which couldn't have been better. The location was perfect. Close to store, coffee, restaurants, movie theater and highway 405.

• Fabulous Suite

There weren’t enough toiletries for 4 people in a suite.

The room service was quick & courteous. The food was delicious at the restaurant as well as the room service.

• Spectacular Queen Suite

Rooms were very uncomfortable Vanities has no room to put anything on it The bed was very uncomfortable The walls are thin and can hear neighbors

STK restaurant

• Spectacular Double Suite

As a hotel chain that caters to business travel, I was surprised at being charged for wifi and then having such a slow connection, I struggled to send images back to people in my office. Also, being charged for 'receiving a package' from the post office seemed strange. Some of the front deck staff were unhelpful and had attitude. Generally decor was dated and the bathroom should be modernised.

The location is convenient and the food was generally good. The room service and cleaning staff were very helpful and nice.

• Wonderful Room

location ,is good opposite my son's university

i really did not like anything in this hotel ,it is not worth it to be even 3 stars hotel .bad service ,room was cleaned 4.45 pm .bad room service attitude ... reception is not friendly at all ... even the bar ,,the way they work is not professional.

• Wonderful Room

Previous W Hotels we have stayed in have been great, NYC and Barcelona to name a couple, this one, overrated, tired rooms in desperate need of an update and $50USD to VALET a car 10 meters when there is metered parking right outside the hotel! Check in was great however we had check out at midday and at 11:45 we had 3 very loud and very aggressive doorbell rings....to find out 'is the room ready yet?!' Apart from being devoid of common courtesy, manners, customer service and the complete hypocrisy of when we did leave watching the same staff member KNOCK gently on the neighbours door and softly let them know that maid service was there... we couldn't believe it! Couple that with a check-out guy who clearly had 101 other better things to do than his actual job, not a great experience.

Location for Westwood and Beverly Hills excellent, Bel Air also, good access from airport too and probably the best location for accessing all of LA (that you would actually want to go to)! Quick to check you in too.

• Wonderful Room

The carpets in the hotel on the room levels/hallways are (in a word) ugly - they look worn and dirty - even though they may not be. Just a terrible design/color/pattern.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating: from Manny at the valet to the bell desk and front desk, and the fellows at the breakfast bar, everyone was very nice, friendly and pleasant

• Spectacular Queen Suite

It's getting old and needing some renovations on the room. Some of the corner are dirty, the housekeeping didn't really check little things such as the wardrobe railing which was dusty. They always clean the room in the late afternoon.

we always come back to this hotel, the location and quietness of the area is perfect for us

• Wonderful Room

No free internet at this price even as SPG member. (Have to be gold or platinum to get it free) ; 1st room was near elevator equipment and was VERY noisy; they did switch our room after the first night.

Pool area was lovely; valet's were good. Location was fine. Good restaurants in easy walking distance. Staff was helpful.

• Spectacular Queen Suite

The hotel puts a lot of effort into seeming cool but seeming understaffed at their cool restaurants. It was NYE weekend and the hotel was fully booked but the staff generally seemed grumpy and frazzled and slow. We had a suite that was two very small rooms and certainly didn’t feel luxurious. The couch was extremely uncomfortable and seemed like the kind of modernist plastic thing you would pick if you were worried about people vomiting on it.

Room service was great.

• Spectacular Double Suite

the photo booth didnt work/never got our pics; on-site parking is expensive ($46/day).

modern, clean, food at STK is excellent.hotel is in perfect location--right by UCLA and near lots of shops & restaurants.

• Spectacular Double Suite

You need a key for the elevator, but I know that's a safety thing...so I shouldn't complain because I'm lazy, lol. No hot tub ....

The hotel itself is very nice inside and well lit. The pool is pretty small but I like that there's a bar beside it. The food was good.

• Spectacular King Suite

STK denied us at 9:45 when they close at 4, I payed 2,000 for a 4 night stay. The room was very basic for the price. Ice machine next to my room was going off all night. First day we came, no staff gave us a list or explained the amenities to us.

The valet staff was very nice .

• Wonderful Room

They charged for in WiFi... pretty ridiculous considering it’s free at 90 percent of most properties and your paying so much to stay there! They also could have coffee in the rooms.

Great location, awesome staff, beautiful pool area, and great food!

• Wonderful Room

The staff at the Hideout restaurant beside the pool were consistently inefficient and inattentive. We also found the pool can get pretty rowdy during the day as they let in a lot of day visitors - as the pool area is quite small its something to keep in mind. We booked at 50% off and got an upgrade and I was still unsure on the value for money.

Comfortable bed. We loved that they offered breakfast delivery and we could get coffee delivered to the room every morning - the staff who did that were always cheerful and friendly.

• Wonderful Room

Parking could be slightly cheaper!

We drove from Las Vegas to la. The hotel is in Westwood a quiet area of la with a 2 parking places locally at a cheaper cost, $20 max for 24 hours. Valet is $42 per night in The w which when staying for a few days is costly. The hotel is clean, staff very friendly and a nice atmosphere. We had a beautiful room, we were upgraded, had drinks vouchers given to us at reception and a comp bottle of wine with a card welcoming us in our room, nice touch. Our room was huge, we were situated on the 12th floor with an amazing views which was a treat! I would say at the w again but not in the same location, maybe somewhere closer to the beach. We had a car so getting around was fine, the freeway was at the bottom of the road which was great! We didn't go to the pool to swim but chilled out by the pool one morning. It gets really cold when the sun goes down so prepare yourself with jeans and a jumper! The local area is quiet so it was nice when night fell and people came to eat at STK which is inside the hotel. It closes at 10pm which is quite early and they do room service also but you need to collect it yourself. Pricey but nice! Great service. There is a hotel restaurant and bar with an outside space with a fire to keep you warm during the cold LA nights! No problems at check out, was all very smooth! Great experience!

• Wonderful Room

Four days after making this booking the amount of the stay was deducted from my credit card by the hotel. On check out they insisted they had no record of this on their system and I was forced to pay again. I am still waiting to hear back from the hotel about this. Not happy.

Clean and comfortable

• Wonderful Room

I chose the W because it was modern looking, and because they do NOT have those old motel bedspreads. Also, many kudos to the bartenders on Friday night, Lucas and Tommy. Very friendly and attentive. They both made the evening very enjoyable.

• Wonderful Room

Excellent customer service! Got upgraded to the penthouse suite due to mixup with payment last time I was here. They could've just corrected the charges, but instead upgraded me to the best suite!

• Wonderful Room

They booked their bar on a Saturday night to a private party and we were not even allowed to order a drink from the bar I was meeting people there and I felt so embarrassed

• Fabulous Suite

The room i rented was a king suite room.. First day we arrived the room was not ready and they put us a smaller room.. Next day we settled our new room.. WITH FULL OF BUGS!!!!! they were so small so tiny so we realized them after having nearly 60-70 insect bites... So once we saw them, i called the reception and told them the situation.. They sent someone in the room , he saw all the bugs.. But they still DIDNT CHANGE our room.. This is not acceptable.. The Hotel has BUGS in the rooms... The staff was so rude in the reception.. I would never but never recommend anyone to stay there.. Also the carpets and furnitire in the room is old and not very clean.., DONT EVER GO STAY

I only liked the restaurant by the pool

• Wonderful Room

Staff seemed bored/unhappy. Suspect there's team climate issue and in the service industry it kinda kills it...

Fantastic area, great restaurant!

• Spectacular Double Suite

I booked the breakfast included package and it turned out only a credit of USD12.5 per adult is included. USD12.5 is only enough to cover a small glass of organge juice (no free refill). A farm breakfast costs close to USD20. The information is very misleading. I asked different hotel staff (at the restaurant, front seat when checking) they gave me different answer. One said USD25 credit a day per family and the other said USD25 credit a day per adult. At checkout, the bill did not reflect the credit and the front desk asked if I told the waiter I am entitled to the meal credit. In short, the breakfast included deal is very misleading and confusing.

The room size is big and it fits for a family.

• Wonderful Room

The beds were awful, had back pain .. rooms and overall at pool shabby. The air conditioner in living room had to be fixed twice. No glasses at the bar and bathroom had no where to put your stuff. Ok but not the level I expected from a W hotel. If I hadn't paid in advance I would have checked out. They did however respond nicely and compensate us for our lousy experience.

• Spectacular Corner King

The hotel is very much dated, the washroom is old and tired. The bed was not comfortable at all. Took almost 20min to collect my luggage I had left with the hotel while I had my meetings.

The location was good.

• Wonderful Room

We had some issues , like the room was small, and in front of elevator , we couldn't sleep . But the staff they changed us for a perfect room , bigger , nicer , the morning manager was very helpful !!

Location was very good , but the blocks are big we couldn't walk so much

• Wonderful Room

the fact that a late check out for us with out charging the room half a day offer was made to compensate for our experience and you still charged the account and no one has fallowed up with us. Horrible customer service

• Wonderful Room

Business center charge for computer use after 15 minutes and print-outs. I could have used some time to take care of some time-sensitive business items.

"comped" me on the half bottle of wine and snack from the in-room mini bar. Bartender provided cocktail on the house after 4th of July fireworks.

• Wonderful Room

The hotel charged my credit card upfront, which is unusual and they used the wrong amount. Therefore the check in took 45 min. - Very disappointing after a 12 hrs flight. The staff at the reception is not very friendly. The breakfast is too expensive, USD 200 incl. Service Fee, Tax and Tip for 4 persons is too much for a breakfast with 1 dish per person.

The STK Restaurant, high prices but excellent service and quality.

• Wonderful Room

With one exception (and he was a new staff) the staff could be more genuinely friendly rather than perfunctorily polite. Bathroom inadequately equipped and designed. We had to ask for a second towel since there were 2 occupants, fittings were old and there wasn't even a shelf or drawer for the hairdryer which had to be hung in a bag from the sole towel rail. Parking was overly expensive. You can park in the nearby parking structure for a fraction of the price.

• Wonderful Room

i was in a room over the bar - that was closed down for a private party so not only was there no restaurant to go to on Friday night the noise in my room was almost unbearable. The hotel was full of parents, friends and family attending the UCLA graduation events and to have a large dining room closed for a private party on Friday evening was unacceptable. The WET dining room closed at 10:00 - which was about the time most events wrapped up and there was no where to eat. Room service was over whelmed - so that also was not an option. I would think that the W would have planned better.

The location - I was attending my son's Graduation - i would walk everywhere.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Spectacular Double Suite

I didn't like that the reservation that I made said check-in time was 3:00pm and when I arrived at the hotel after 7:30pm our room wasn't cleaned and ready for us to arrive. Although the did comp us drinks, I don't think that it was really a good enough consolation. When we were leaving the hotel room at 9:00pm that evening for dinner we saw that they were still cleaning other rooms on our floor. I think that this is unacceptable and this issue should be addressed.

I liked the overall aesthetic of the hotel.

Nothing :)

EPIC hotel. Seriously awesome, the pool side bit is the best but also the food at the restaurant - what an egg white omelette!!! Love the little mini bar too - such great snacks. I had a room opposite the lift, which didn't bother me, I found it super useful.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Fabulous Suite

THE BED WAS TOO SOFT FOR MY BACK; ASKED IF IT COULD BE CHANGED BUT GOT NO FOR AN ANSWER. ASKED FOR EXTRA TOWELS AND BATHROOM AMENITIES IN THE MORNING AS THE ROOM WAS NOT SERVICED THE DAY BEFORE ( BECAUSE OF US) WAITED FOR ONE HOUR AND TOWELS DID NOT ARRIVE; DESPITE CALLING BACK A COUPLE OF TIMES FOR FOLLOW UP.

LOCATION FOR UCLA VERY CONVENIENT. LIKE THE BREAKFAST AND THE LOCATION BY THE POOL. GOOD FOOD IN THE EVENING IN THE HOTEL RESTAURANT AS WELL. ROOM WAS VERY LARGE AND CONVENIENT FOR A FAMILY, EVEN THOUGH THE QUALITY OF FURNISHINGS COULD BE A BIT BETTER.

• Wonderful Room

Bathrooms were very old - I've stayed in motels with nicer bathrooms. There was rust in bathtub and horrible water pressure. Room was loud from music downstairs - I was on the 4th floor.

People were nice

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Spectacular Double Suite

It was difficult to find out where morning coffee / tea was set up. I am use to coffee set up in the room at Ritz Carlton.

California was having a rain storm. Out side pool and dinning were out of the question. The hotel staff and front desk staff were excellent!

• Wonderful Room

The hotel has become more and more expensive while appealing to all flash with little concern for function. The sink, bathtub ,bedroom size are just examples of pretty things that are unpleasant to use.

Service is good and fun.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Wonderful Room

The room furniture & bathroom needs to be renewed, its toooo over used.

We stayed about one week, I came with my son who will start studying in UCLA,the location was great & the staff was great.

• Wonderful Room

The hotel is pretty worn and although the service was kind ... it was slow. And pricey for the backyard setting!

The bed was comfy and the room was spacious!!!! Food was yummy! Our conference was there so we stayed on for the night. Convenience was our reason for the stay.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Spectacular Double Suite

The room was not clean (debris under table and couch), the gym is too small for a hotel of this size and valet parking is very expensive ($46/24 hrs); i can recommend public parking 100m down the street

Lovely trendy hotel in an excellent location. We stayed in a lovely 2 bedroom suite. Great outdoor pool area and nice spa which my wife and daughter enjoyed

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Wonderful Room

The functionality of the room was terrible. There weren't enough outlets in convenient places. There were two if us in a suite and there was only one outlet between the beds that was available for use so one of us had to charge our phone in the bathroom. The heat wasn't working, the vent was just throwing out cool air, which is fine in LA most of the time but it was one of the coldest weeks of the year there with the temps in the 40s at night. There was a loud humming coming from somewhere above our room that ran consistently for 24 hours, the front desk said they would send maintenance to look into it, don't know if they ever did because we never heard back from them about it but the noise continued. We were offered a room change but declined because we were halfway through our stay anyway. There was no hotel guide book/amenities listing anywhere in our room. There was a room service menu but nothing to let us know what other services/amenities were available to us. There was supposed to be a digital menu of services/amenities on the hotel's tv channel but it was still under construction. Aside from it being a great location for our purposes and the staff being friendly and accommodating, there is nothing else good to say about this hotel. Very disappointing and would not return.

The hotel itself was in a great location, walkable to many amenities. It was very clean and secure. The staff were very nice, friendly and informative.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Wonderful Room

Room was cold and they had to bring in another small heater to warm the room. The closet was a box that you couldn't hang anything. This is extremely odd for a 5 start hotel. Gym was small and cramped.

Staff was great.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Spectacular Queen Suite

The room cleanliness, especially in the bathroom, was the worst I have ever seen at a Starwood hotel. The drains were not cleaned properly for a long time. There was Pink mold on the drains and sinks. This a harmful bacteria which can lead to various health conditions. The carpets were very musty and smelled old. At night, it was cold so we asked for help with the heating. The engineer came and said he couldn't fix the heating but gave us a dusty floor heater. That's when I realized just how unready the hotel really was to provide service for guests. The Front desk staff were not very approachable. Although professional, they held an air of entitlement which was disappointing and difficult. The actual layout of our suite was unimpressive and cramped. The building itself is an old structure and the room was very small. I realize it is LA but I feel like they didn't do enough to refurbish the rooms and make it feel like a true W experience.

The service from valet and luggage assistance staff, and in room dining staff was great. They were very kind and helpful with any questions or help we needed. The Backyard restaurant staff were kind, friendly, and cheerful. The location was ideal for my meetings at UCLA, as it was within walking distance to the campus.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Fantastic Room

One person on the front desk was rude when I asked him to contact the housekeeping to clean my room, and that at nearly 5 pm, it had been my third request in the last 2 hours. He gave me an explanation that they were focusing on cleaning rooms for check ins and since I had been at the hotel a while (my 5th day for this stay) they had to put my request on hold. I told him that it was the explanation I had been given and I asked that he help with taking care of my request. He then kept repeating the same answer to me with a rude attitude. Having said this all the other staff have been very courteous and nice as always. Also I found the room not as clean as my previous stays. Crusts were found sticking on bedsheets, hair in the bathtub when we first arrived, and I thought the hallway had tobacco smell at times on what I thought was a non-smoking floor.

Location, Backyard restaurant, STK restaurant. This is my third stay at the hotel and while there were a few disappointments this time, I still like the hotel overall.

• Fantastic Room

Red mold all in the shower!!! ICK!! Bathroom generally not clean. Bartender so did not want to be at his job! Outside bar was fun, but dirty - fountain leaking so sat with our feet in the water and it had been leaking for a long time because the wet towels they placed in front of the leak smelled horrible!! Just generally dont put a lot of effort in maintenance of the property.

We have a freshman at UCLA - this is the best location for visiting UCLA and walking around Westwood. The pool is nice, outside bar is fun. Valet staff is fantastic!!

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Wonderful Room

The rooms need updating and the bathroom is positively out of date. The shower leaked, the ceiling of the shower was dripping wet, the taps were loose, the paintwork was old and peeling. I was very disappointed with the state of the bathroom.

The outside breakfast area in the garden is lovely.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Wonderful Room

Cleanliness of the room needs attention. I think is hotel definitely needs to be refurbished, unlike other W standard in other parts of the world.

Location is handy

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Wonderful Room

Bar area lacked a bit of atmosphere Never really felt inclined to linger too long there

Very friendly and helpful staff. Walking distance to restaurants, bars Size of room - everything you needed for your stay was available Good food available poolside

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Wonderful Room

The price of a fresh orange was 10 dollars from a carton! Also would recommend parking on the corner of the street for 15 dollars over night as apposed to the 52 dollars the W try to charge

The location is really good, the room size is amazing! The complimentary products are magnificent ! The bars in the hotel didn't really have any atmosphere this was a disappointment

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Spectacular Double Suite

Few chairs at pool and no umbrellas. Gym facilities were dark and gloomy. Expensive for the quality of the hotel. Close to UCLA but not much else.

• Fantastic Room

For the price point the hotel was disappointing. Our room was right across for the elevator. The room itself could use to be updated. We ordered room service n all I could taste was salt.

The location was good for our trip

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Fantastic Room

Felt like they Nickle and dimed me for everything, which was surprising given that it was a high-rated hotel and on the pricier side for the room alone. The room didn't come with a microwave and there was a fee to get one in room, a fee for wifi, Advil, almost everything. Additionally there's barely any parking near the hotel and Valet is extremely pricey

Loved the hotel overall. Very friendly helpful staff. Bed was comfortable and room was very nice. Great location too. Service was exceptional.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Wonderful Room

Very relaxed staff, Concierge leave place at 5 pm each day (and nobody can organize your dinner at any nice restaurant in the city etc). Lobby computers is free of charge only for 15 minutes, wifi in rooms for 15 USD per day etc. Really overpriced.

Warm pool outside. But I have ask pool staff for a fresh towels 4 times.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Fantastic Room

I order a pot of hot water from " whatever whenever ", waited for more than 30 mins ..... I call the same to remind and waited another 45 mins in vain ....finally I call again to give up the request as I have to go to bed ..... All I receive was a robotic apology from whoever

Not much to mention

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Fantastic Room

All beds where taken at the pool, I had to spend my sunday in my room. Bathroom is old and quite basic ! Exterior of building is dirty and old and needs urgently some painting, stairs to building worn out !!! Very expensive hotel...Car park is 50 USD a day, internet has to be paid etc....

The staff is great, the rooms are spacious and nice...

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Fantastic Room

It is 2016 and WIFI should be complimentary in all hotels, in fact, that is one of the most important criteria's when people choose a hotel. Also, there is a buffet in the breakfast area with coffee, juice and some fruit cups. I think this should be complimentary for guests and if guests want to order from the menu then they pay. This would be easier on the staff who seemed overwhelmed by the breakfast crowd.

This was the perfect hotel for me on my business trip due to location. It is close to UCLA medical center and walking distance to Westwood Village. It's décor is modern and offers a spacious room for LA. The staff were accommodating and friendly at the front desk and considered my SPG status. There was a really good restaurant in the lobby called STK.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Spectacular Double Suite

They charged the wifi, charged parking. We found a smoked cigar under the bed, the room was small and dark. We had a babysitter one night and they charged us also parking costs for the babysitter car (it doubles the cost of the babysitter). Really poor value for money. I don't recommend it

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Fantastic Room

Service is very weak. Asked several times by email for an invoice but didnt get any response. Bathroom tap not fixed well (room 418)

Location, Room size, valet staff very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Wonderful Room

I didn't like the lack of communication prior to my arrival- there was a serious miscommunication regarding my booking and was forced to upgrade At check in. I also did not like the lack of umbrellas at the pool. If you needed shade, you would have to rent a bungalow. Also felt the pool needed upgrading as well as the bathrooms in the rooms.

I liked the proximity to ucla and friendliness of the staff. The valet was excellent.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Relatively Expensive.

Very well located hotel for UCLA with an easy walk into the campus. Westwood village is also on the hotel's doorstep offering shopping and restaurants. The hotel is very modern and offers top quality facilities.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Fantastic Room

My room always smelled like someone smoked in there. The food was terrible. We order room service twice and it was not good neither time. I've stayed in w hotels before and i never had this experience. I stayed in w barcelona and in w nyc and it was amazing.

I like the decoration, location and attention.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Wonderful Room

The brunch !! Terrible food and service.. very expensive for what you get.. They charge for the bottles of water in the room.. Terrible room distribution, claustrophobic..

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Spectacular Double Suite

overcharge me on the valet parking. use the parking for one night and was charge three nights. W is handling this and I am waiting for a refund

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Wonderful Room

More counter space around sink. Disappointed to have Breakfast indoors one morning at STK because it's a dark steak house ,even though food was good and looked attractive on plate. Staff is good. Discovered complimentary coffee too late.

I love dining outdoors in the back yard with the waterfall . Like to relax by the pool and take a dip before or after activities. Walking distance to Hammer Museum , UCLA Botanic Gardens, Museums and lovely quad. Not too far a drive to Getty Museums.

Nice bed, nice staff

• Spectacular Double Suite

Could use better lighting & natural ventilation

loved the swanky, modern vibe!!

• Spectacular Double Suite

Nickle and Dime you at the hotel. Then the staff is young and ignorant!

Pool and hideout set up really cool.

• Spectacular Double Suite

Price for the room and cost for parking my car was really high.

Food at the restaurant was excellent and so was the service.0

• Wonderful Room

AC not properly working, parking way too expensive

Beautiful and very comfortable rooms, early check-in was no issue at all, nice location

• Wonderful Room

Given the price per room, wi-fi should be free.

Good location if you want to be in Westwood.