Reviews of W New York - Union Square 5 stars

201 Park Avenue South, Union Square, New York, NY 10003, USA

#235 of 415 hotels in New York

4.7

The location is excellent - so easy to get around -...
    • Wonderful Room

Maybe time to get the designers in to have a look at the bathrooms - they are perfectly good - but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to make them much nicer.

The location is excellent - so easy to get around - underground station for Union Square is 6 - 8mins easy walk away. Really good restaurant - bar. Excellent breakfast with some simple options - quality over quality. I didn’t have dinner there - but I’m sure it would have been up to the same standard. They even made nice coffee (Australians have become a bit obsessed with this piece of the puzzle). If you can afford it - it’s a great option to stay here. The staff were really great too. You won’t be disappointed. There might be more fancy hotels in the city that make you feel like royalty - but I think this hotel gets the balance right. It’s Union Square New York not Mayfair in London.

Great Hotel in a great location
    • Wonderful Room

First time in at least two years that I've been charged ($15) for basic WiFi with escalating prices for decent speed. Most hotels in the competitive NYC market have abandoned this practice.

Large well-equipped room with ice machine on the floor.

The doormen and staff were very friendly
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

The bathtub did not drain and after each shower there was a foam of scum that was coming up from the drain which wasn't very clean. (room 802)

The doormen and staff were very friendly

Everything was fine except one room wasn’t ready when we got...
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Everything was fine except one room wasn’t ready when we got there (3:10). We were all seniors and one of us is 90 and we had to all get ready in one room with one bathroom after driving for 4 hours, for a 4:30 event

Excellent, except for this one receptionist.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

One thing really upset me. The alarm clock was not turned off after the last guest, it work me up at 6 am, when I tried to talk about it to the receptionist, he laughed at me and said that he always unplugs the clock at the hotels when he travels. No apology, nothing, And it’s impossible to unplug this clock without moving the bed too. I wish I remembered to get his name and formally complained.

The location is great, especially the park and farmers market at the time of my visit. Most of the staff was very helpfull and remembered me and what I usually need or ask for.

Bad staff
    • Wonderful Room

The staff were very disagreeable at check in. This was not a luxury experience at all. We were very sad to have to face such behavior after traveling so far.

See above
    • Wonderful Room

The location was perfect for walking around Manhatten and surrounding areas. The doormen were super friendly and helpful with choosing restaurants and roads. The room was super comfortable and the view of the city was superb! We will definitely go back again soon!!

We had a very noisy neighbor and the hotel manager handled...
    • Wonderful Room

We arrived a little early and the front desk said the room would be ready in about 3 hours, but it was ready in about 30 minutes. We were happy it was ready, BUT we had already left to go uptown. It is a very tiny thing, but an accurate time of the room being ready would have been better.

We had a very noisy neighbor and the hotel manager handled it VERY well!

The staff was excellent.
    • Wonderful Room

The staff was excellent. Our daughter was giving birth to our grandson. There was an issue and he had to be taken back to the Hospital in our car. They jumped through hoops to get it to us from valet rather late at night. They also all asked how he was doing, fortunately fine,

We will definitely stay here again for the value received.
    • Wonderful Room

Room scent was too strong. There was some confusion as to whether the $25 resort fee included internet or not. Eventually we received the access code.

We had a Wonderful Room and it was one of the largest rooms we’ve had in New York.

Is W hotel union square really part of w hotels Starwood group?
    • Spectacular Room

I am a road warrior: traveling for business globally and quite often in w hotels in Asia, Europe and LATAM. I am wondering if the one in Union square is a fake one: old style hotel refurbished with no design, no creativity, really bad service, unfriendly, not professional staff. This hotel is not a boutique hotel, the rooms looks like any other hotel room in the world... The reception staff are unprofessionals, the door men are rude and not helpful - while taking my luggage to the store room, one doorman told the receptionist: “this is the worse part of my job!”. Finally, there is no waiter to order drinks in the lounge area, the waiters are only in charge of the restaurant area which is not helpfull when you want to drink a coffee with customers in the lounge. Very Bad experience! Very disappointing for a W hotel.

fun, easy going, great staff, lovely location..the lady who cleaned my room did an exceptional job.
    • Wonderful Room

No snow at Christmas...not the hotels fault.

Beautiful hotel, staff very friendly and helpful and the ideal location in Manhattan to venture everywhere

Location. Location . Location. But for me , after second stay... bye, bye, bye .
    • Cool Corner Suite, King Room

Bathrooms at the W are an embarrassment . Dirty grout , old tiles , layers of caulk , poorly located shower head ... water everywhere . No excuse for a hotel the is $$$$$.

Nearly $2,000 for 3 sleepless nights due to noise and one 3 person breakfast - CRAZY!
    • Studio Suite

Crazy high price - especially after seeing alternatives at lower rates - after I booked it as non refundable. At the high rate, we were still placed low in the building - on the 5th floor. Street noice kept my wife up nearly all night - especially on Saturday when there was a reception on the 2nd floor. I'm in NYC frequently and have only paid more once - an exceptional stay at the Ritz.

Will not return.
    • Fantastic Suite

Booked a fantastic suite but got a studio suite and the manager lied to me that it's the same size and price. Since they had no available fantastic suite (I booked 3 months in advance!) They gave me 100$ for food. Besides that the rooms need an urgent refresh

Live like a true New Yorker at the W New York Union Square!

A little pricey.

Great hotel at a great location! We literally made the W New York at Union Square our base and was able to thoroughly explore New York by foot and subways on this trip.

On trend, but somewhat lacking in costumer service.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

This place is trendy, but lacking in good customer service. We requested an early check in and the request was not accommodated. The spectacular double was not as spacious as advertised. The concierge was not very helpful (did not give us good advice re: whether to take a cab or Uber to Newark airport).

The breakfast was really good, although it was pricey. Great location.

Overall very nice but no coffee maker!
    • Wonderful Room

Staff was moderately friendly. Also, No mini coffee maker in the room. Nickel and dimed for any extra amenity.

Very comfy bed, great bath products by Bliss.

Great place to stay. Would stay again!
    • Mega Room

Very disappointed in Booking.com. I booked three rooms I put it under my parents name and for some reason the last name was recorded as "and Linda Seegull" and we couldn't find the reservation. Took three calls to Booking.com and the hotel.

Easy access to trains and easy for Uber to get to. Great square and stores!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Great hotel, great location!!!
    • Spectacular Room

Friendly staffing, beautiful and spacious room awesome view, the quality of the food and service at the restaurant was impressive, we highly recommend this hotel

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Stylish
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was quite small even with two queen beds.

Really nice service in a front desk -credit card didnt work it took a lot of time trying all ways of payment and they were extremely patient. Rooms werent big but still functional. Clean rooms and house keeping very attentive. Good restaurant, no breakfast buffet, but serviced to the table. Average breakfast 25$ plus tip. Helpfull consierge and doormen. Nice bar in the evening.

It was good.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Being more uptown has a lot more to do within walking distance than this location.

It was convenient for the wedding we were attending but not so convenient for shopping and dining out. I would rather be in the Central Park area,

Amazing location
    • Wonderful Room

Room smelled terrible (like febreeze and cigarette smoke mixed together). Staff when asked for recommendation seemed uninterested and a little uninformed

Location was amazing. Staff at check in was friendly and warm

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Good Stay!
    • Wonderful Room

The location of the hotel was perfectly situated, everything was in walking distance; shops, restaurants, bars, and park. The room was a nice size and very clean. Would definetly go back!

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Nice place if you don't mind being overcharged
    • Fabulous King Room

The room service breakfast was unbelievably expensive. For a simple breakfast for 2 the bill was around $80. The check out hotel bill was incorrect, they had charged for no show surcharge, had to wait 10 minutes for a manager to come and fix the bill.

The rooms were nice . The "Fabulous room " had nice view of interesting buildings. I like the fresh apples being available.

Fantastic hotel in Union Square

No complaints.

Super comfy bed. Incredibly spacious for NYC. View from one of the higher floors looking south over the square and east was gorgeous. Lots of accessible outlets and USB charging ports-- they know people travel with multiple devices. Comfortable without being stuffy. Staff were extremely kind and accommodating.

Lousy
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast: A terrible experience. Selections of oatmeal, veggy omellette, granola were so mediocre, we had to eat at the Pret a Manger around the corner where we could get organic and tasty stuff at a fraction of the cost. Internet: No wifi for a whole day! It looks like no management in charge.

Toiletries were good. Bed excellent. Lighting in rooms great. Doorman staff great.

One of the worst experiences in my life travels history
    • Wonderful Room

This is one of the worst hotel experiences I have had in the past years of my travels (and I travel to more than 16 countries in the last year alone). The reception staff at the check-in counter was extremely rude, refused to advise how to use the card swiping machine and shouted when I asked the questions on how to use the machine. I was given a room where there was a construction site right outside the window (thus I could not open my curtains whole day nor see any sort of sunshine). Hotel staff knocked on my door more than 5 times on the morning of the first day alone (although I have expressed that I do not want to be disturbed). Having been to w hotels in Hong Kong and Koh Samui, this particular hotel and the horrendous attitude its staff has is unexplainable.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Gloomy and expensive
    • Wonderful Room

Room was dark and cold Bathroom was dirty Fixtures and fittings looking tatty and dated Everything cost something - not even a complimentary bottle of water Duvet had a scratchy cover Shower cubicle was big with a small underpowered shower

It's in a good location and trades off that. Pillows are nice Toiletries are good

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

OK, but a little pricey
    • Spectacular Room

All New York hotels take a hammering because of the high traffic. As a result they all have an atmosphere of having seen better days - the W is no different in this regard. The real irritation is the $14.95 for in-room WiFi. Who charges for WiFi these days? As a result, and there being no breakfast included, I think the W is quite expensive for what it us.

Pleasant staff, and good location if you want to be the Union Square end of town.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Good value, especially for location. Skip the bar.
    • Wonderful Room

Service in the bar was notably terrible, especially in the 'living room' area.

Location and price of hotel was terrific. Room size and housekeeping were great. Had meals a couple of times. Service at breakfast was great, and food good.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

NYC was amazing! We had a blast. I'll be back!!!
    • Wonderful Room

In room wifi cost USD15 per day! Bit of a rip off in this day and age..

Was advised to wait 30 mins to have a room with a view. And what a view it was! Fantastic advice from the front desk at W Union Square.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Perfect location, great customer service.
    • Wonderful Room

Amazing location. Staff friendly and helpful. Loved that apples and water were available as snacks in lobby at check-in. Nice way to transition from traveling. Room service breakfast the next morning was delicious!

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Automatic door openers for the two sets of entry doors or...
    • Wonderful Room

Automatic door openers for the two sets of entry doors or attentive doormen. It would be nice if they offered free tea as well as coffee in the lobby in the morning.

I was treated like royalty !
    • Wonderful Room

I was treated like royalty ! An upgrade , a free drink because room wasn’t ready even though I was early ! SO AMAZING

Bathroom needs updating.
    • Spectacular Room

Bathroom needs updating. Rugs in bedroom area need to be replaced.

Best stay ever in NYC
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Stella Draksin, welcome agent could not do enough for you, so great

Great location and attentive staff.
    • Wonderful Room

Could be more water pressure.

Great staff and location. Attentive and helpful.

None !

Everything!

I thought the bathroom should be renovated.
    • Wonderful Room

I thought the bathroom should be renovated. It looked worn.

Worth staying!
    • Wonderful Room

No coffee machine in rooms. No slippers

Comfortable bed and cleanliness. Decor

Nothing !

Everything!!

Convenience of location, spacious room, cleanliness of room.
    • Wonderful Room

Convenience of location, spacious room, cleanliness of room. Also Irvington restaurant at property was a great convenience.

Very enjoyable, better than staying near Times Square

No coffee and tea in rooms

good room, hotel very quiet, rooms clean, good location

No hot water for 3 days. Overpriced and dated hotel
    • Wonderful Room

No hot water, overpriced, dated decor, counldnt even process payment on Amex

Excellent pancakes for breakfast!
    • Wonderful Room

Excellent pancakes for breakfast!

Expensive

A great trip but the drilling noise from the property next door was horrific, would stop me returnin
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Horrendous drilling from dawn til dusk

Staff, breskfadt

Awesome!
    • Fabulous King Room

It was our wedding anniversary and the staff arranged for a superb room and extended our check out. Very satisfied!

Pillows were cool
    • Wonderful Room

Bathroom sink didnt work, some towels were dirty. Had to pay for wifi!!!

Pillows were cool

Badly trained staff. Poor. Ustiner service.
    • Wonderful Room

No business center. When I asked staff if they could mail 2 letters they said no.

Pretty hotel

I love the hotel!
    • Wonderful Room

Nice big rooms and comfy beds! Nice staff too!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

excellent location, great staff, wonderful stay
    • Wonderful Room

peaceful quiet room, despite its busy and central location. Great restaurants nearby and a fabulous market on Saturdays.

Very nice
    • Wonderful Room

No coffee machine in the room

Jose the doorman was fantastic. Helpful and kind and good fun.

No coffee machine in the bedroom.
    • Spectacular Room

No coffee machine in the bedroom.

Great location!

Everything is good. :)

Location, location, location.

Tissue box at side lamp

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Hotel has seen better days
    • Mega Room

Room Dirty and run down

Very professional and accommodating staff!
    • Wonderful Room

Very professional and accommodating staff!!

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

We thought parking was free.
    • Wonderful Room

We thought parking was free. Not so. Only the valet to park the car was free. Overnight parking was $70.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

great location
    • Spectacular Room

a little noisy at night from street traffic

Started well but concluded in a morning fiasco
    • Wonderful Room

The boiler was broken so for my last day, I had to take a cold shower. No information and barely an acknowledgment at checkout with 3000 points SPG..

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Got charges additional $100.

Got charges additional $100.00 for upgrade that I didn't request

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Amazing location, huge room, great service.
    • Spectacular Room with Two Double Beds

Amazing location, huge room, great service. We were happy with everything about this hotel!

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Cool vibe, great location
    • Wonderful Room

They charge for wi-fi! No one charges for wi-fi anymore!

Cool vibe, great location

Location and comfort

Location and comfort

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Excellent Hotel at the heart of NYC
    • Wonderful Room

Gym needs upgrading, especially the pulley, which lack the basic necessary attachments.

All the above.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Great location and friendly service !
    • Wonderful Room

The room was spacious and comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful. They have great Bliss amenities in the bathroom.

$65.00 chicken Fingers was a bit much!
    • Spectacular Room

$65.00 chicken Fingers was a bit much!

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Great hotel great location

Too expensive

Staff very helpful

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Great spot
    • Wonderful Room

Fast room service (coffee in the morning)

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

I loved the location and the lounge/bar area was cool if...

notridiculusl

I loved the location and the lounge/bar area was cool if not ridiculously expensive (but what do I know? I haven't

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

We stayed for 14 days , the staff were accommodating and friendly .

We did not have a view

The beds were comfortable and location was very good .

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

The beds were large and comfy and Location is awesome.

The hotel is a bit dated and needs a refurb. The bathrooms are really not on a 5 star level and not what i expect from a W. However that being said I haven't been impressed with W's lately and won't be booking another one any time soon. They seem to be very basic and splash some colour around and have fancy receptions and thats it. Cleaning standards weren't perfect, dust all over the snacks in the minibar and on lamps and phones. The door staff seem to be busy chatting to each other and rarely even say hello or hold the door open. I am not entirely sure what their purpose is. It felt like a basic hotel with no frills. Even the toilets for the main hotel, located in the basement, were shocking for a W hotel.

The beds were large and comfy and Location is awesome. In the thick of it and easy to reach any park of town. The food in the restaurant was great, good breakfasts and the burgers were perfect.

• Reviewed: 18 April 2016

Great location - nice view from the big room window - very...

Great location - nice view from the big room window - very little street noise - cool lobby - friendly, helpful staff. Apples & water available in lobby.

There are also 61 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.