Reviews of W San Francisco 4 stars

181 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA

#83 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

5.3

• Spectacular Two Doubles

A bit of a younger, partying crowd at night in the lobby/bar area.

Location for access to Yerba Buena Center for arts performance was fantastic.... Easy stroll to breakfast/lunch at the Grove.

• Spectacular King Room

Still charging $17.95 a day for WiFi? C’mon, it’s 2018, I thought we’d all agreed that the internet is not an ‘extra’ any more. And not entirely convinced by the hipster darkness in the foyer... if I wanted that I could just shop at Hollister.

Brilliant location next door to the fabulous SFMOMA and opposite Yerba Burns Gardens in the heart of downtown. The top notch facilities and amenities you’d expect from a W including a great gym and a concierge that can’t do enough to help.

• Spectacular King Room

Hotel needs a revamp, room we were given was not what we had booked and the hotel was full so had no choice. Baring in mind we booked this hotel and paid in full 6 weeks ago. Guy who checked us in was rude. Shower is rubbish, not pressure WiFi not included, mentioned on day 2 that I was an SPG member then WiFi was free. Hotel view is of other buildings 60 dollars a day to park, ridiculous

Nespresso machine in the room.

• Fabulous King Room

Too old, no pool, rooftop was closed while I was there (should be more explicite), all in very expensive for what it is

nice view from my room, location, fitness center, free (good) bikes

• Spectacular King Room

This is my second stay so I’d say I’m pretty happy there. Great central location. Easy walking to AT&T , Embarcadero. Close to great shopping and restaurants. Second year to stay at The W for Mother’s Day. Took a ferry to Alameda to visit the Hangar 1 vodka distillery.

Close to everything. Valet parking does a great job. Food at Trace is YUMMY ! Shoutout to Roger at Trace Great waiter. Staff is very obliging and super informative.

• Spectacular King Room

Expensive property but its San Fransisco I guess, the prices are always high The area is filled with filthy beggars who looked menacing especially at night

Great location especially if you are attending a convention at Moscow which is few steps away. great room size, good amenities in the room although all chargable Thoughtfully laid out room.

• Spectacular King Room

The design, the comfort, they thought of everything in the room, the bar was great and so was the salad and juice I had there. I liked it a lot.

• Spectacular King Room

The property is lovely and the room was beautiful. Could have spent the weekend just enjoying the room! The neighborhood is definitely improving and the food/drink/entertainment options now are easily within walking distance.

• Wonderful Two Doubles

There was an error on our itinerary and instead of helping us knowing it was late on a Saturday and we had no where else to go, they forced us to pay for a whole new night. So we ended up paying double to stay just one might. Terrible service and terrible value.

• Spectacular King Room

The room which was assigned to us wasn’t anything like what we booked, there was absolutely no view of anything or even light because of the building next door. We complained and were told that the hotel was fully booked and they could change our room only the next day. It was a bit exhausting but they did give us a $50 food & beverage credit to compensate for the inconvenience. Booking.com needs to update their room descriptions though.

The breakfast was amazing! You can’t go wrong with anything you order. After the change, the room was great with a wonderful view of the financial district!

• Spectacular Two Doubles

W San Francisco is very cool place to stay quite expensive though as the majority of W Hotels. Very cool rooms, super location, very vibrant atmosphere in the reception area. A lot of cool amenities in the room. It's design is standing out and it's offers this feel of an authentic soul of the hotel. It's totally worth of stay there.

• Spectacular King Room

the bar staff were extremely rude, when i complained the duty manager was even worse. couldnt care less body language. will not stay here again.

very poor experience that clouded everything else.

• Spectacular Two Doubles

Nothing wrong with the property. The occupants next door were very loud, slamming doors all night long. I got no sleep. Bummer, cause I really liked the Hotel. I also, didn't like that I had to pay for Wi-Fi, which I did not.

They upgraded us from a spectacular room w/view to a fabulous room w/view. With the loudness of occupants next door, I'm wondering if the spectacular room would have been quieter.

• Wonderful Two Doubles

The bottom sheet on the mattress was put on incorrectly and ended up being about 6 inches too short to be tucked around the bottom of the mattress. I had to pull off the bedding off the bed and remake it to get the sheet to tuck around the bottom. I don't think they want the guests seeing what those mattresses really look like under the bedding. Yuck!

The hotel is beautifully located and perfect for a romantic walk to a nearby restaurant or cocktail lounge. SF MOMA is right next door.

• Spectacular Two Doubles

Noisy, all-day construction on Howard Street made access into the hotel terribad. Valet parking at $60 per night, unreal. As others have mentioned, the convenience store feel of having numerous snacks and beverages available for purchase, but with their prices tagged right with it was a pretty big turn off. I felt like I didn't want to touch anything because I didn't want to end up paying for it. $5 for bottled water.

Initial impressions were this is a clubber's paradise, not meant for family. Also, the room we had booked "Double Bed Spectacular" was small. However, Espie (management) and Jose (housekeeping) really saved our trip: Espie went out of her way to accommodate my needs, and Jose is a hard worker and very nice. Overall, not a bad place to stay but not great either. With the bar and club scene on the lobby, this place is better suited for younger folks imo.

• Spectacular King Room

Knowing other W locations, the room has not the same standards and design as others. Really basic and small room with small closet and, the worst, no free wi-fee. Also during the conferences or events it is really crowded and noisy.

Location is great near from MoMa museum, YBCA and 10 minutes walking to Union Square.

• Spectacular King Room

I am not a fan of placing your bar in the lobby so that you have to make your way past a DJ and crowd of drinkers to get to your room.

The room was comfortable, the hotel provided shampoo/conditioner/face soap, and the restaurant was a delicious surprise.

• Spectacular King Room

There were several issues with our stay but one of the most significant problems was the prostitutes. There were a lot of prostitutes walking around the street at night, we were approached by 3 different young women while smoking and standing in front of the hotel around 1am. I’m pretty sure they also hang out in the hotel lobby which is basically a nightclub. The hotel must be aware of this because they were sure to ask each individual person to verify they were guests of the hotel before letting them into the elevators late at night. Another major issue was with the sloppy upselling the customer service people put us through when checking in. The booking confirmation clearly stated the room would be on a higher level floor but upon checking in they said it would be a mid level room and that we could upgrade for a small fee. So not only did they not deliver on their promise but they tried to upsell us for the room which should have rightfully been ours. They clearly had rooms on higher level floors available and they could have accommodated us after I explained the room was supposed to be on a higher level floor. We ended up with a room that looked out at the cold and bleak back wall of the SFMOMA, it was a pretty depressing view for a stay in a “luxury” hotel. A couple other minor issues were that it was annoying to have all the food and alcohol on display in the room, it made the room feel less comfortable and it took up a lot of space on the desk area. Also the shower/tub was broken and wasted a ton of water, when you turned the shower on the tub faucet also ran full blast wasting tons of water. I told the guest service staff when checking out and he just mentioned they would be doing remodeling soon but not really seeming to care about the wasted water or the fact that we had been inconvenienced.

The king sized bed was nice, and the finishes in the room were upscale and nice. It almost would have been the perfect room, except there were snacks and alcohol for purchase out on the desk and it sort of felt like you were sleeping in a convenience store where you weren’t fully comfortable because you thought you might break something or accidentally move it and get charged a ton of money for it.

• Spectacular Two Doubles

I had dinner in the restaurant and the service was extremely slow. It appeared that only one person was covering the entire restaurant. I noticed I wasn't the only one waiting 15 minutes to place my order. This is simply in unacceptable.

The room temperature was very pleasant.

• Spectacular King Room

The lobby and bar area were dark and lacked atmosphere.

The room was clean, large with a large comfy bed, nice linen. Plenty of items to purchase in the room if you wanted. The gym was fab.

• Fabulous Two Double Bed Room

It took a long time to get our car back and paying 60$ a night for parking we expected shorter time to get our car back. It took over 25 min

Staff assistance

• Spectacular King Room

Don't expect a great view of the city ...

Spacious, comfortable room with complimentary water and coffee machine, excellent fitness centre open 24/7, great staff, and good location neighbouring the MoMA SF.

• Spectacular King Room

Parking was a bit expensive.

Modern facilities, room are well-appointed with personal touches. We felt like we were valued customers and treated with friendly respect. The rooms have quite a few touches that make it feel more personal and less cookie-cutter than a traditional hotel room. The room smelled fresh and felt very clean.

• Spectacular King Room

The fixture in the room were slightly worn down and room wasn't thoroughly vacuumed. Also, there was no fitted sheet on the bed the first night, so it came off while sleeping.

Had all of the leisure amenities you expect from the W, including a heavenly shower.

The location at night was not good bcoz dangerous to walk around there At night

The staff service was excellent and really helpful. Great job and keep it up

• Mega Corner King

The only thing was that we ran out of toilet paper on the 2nd night and we used tissue from the tissue box. There wasn't an extra roll in the room.

Service was fantastic. Staff is wonderful. Beds were very comfortable and the room had a great view.

• Fabulous Two Double Bed Room

A Family was booked into our room. We had to go to another room. Child food was cold when it arrived Room service for breakfast had spoons missing No ear buds or makeup remover Only one dressing gown

• Spectacular King Room

1. It did not feel like a professional hotel. It felt more like a strip club on the first floor. It is not family friendly. In the past, I usually stayed at Marriot, which has a more professional and family-friendly setting. 2. After a long day, I brought back a dinner sandwich and ate it on the first floor. A cleaning person approached me and told me that I wasn't allowed to eat there. After some argument, he realized that I actually stayed in the hotel and he walked away.

I was provided a toothbrush from the front desk.

• Spectacular Two Doubles

Very dated facilities, tv did not work properly, temp control in room was off, bed had very old mattress, the manager moved us to another room which was better but not great. Then the hotel tried to over charge us

Proximity to museums, shopping, dining

• Spectacular Two Doubles

The property is showing wear and tear - stripped-down, basic accommodations at high-end pricing. The lobby is exceptionally loud - making it difficult to even hear the most cursory of conversation with the check-in hosts. The wi-fi? Really? SF is the heart of the Silicon Valley and they're charging for wi-fi? Absurd. The cheapest of properties in remote countries provide free wi-fi, but a "5-star" property in the business center of CA charges? Ridiculous.

Valet parking staff - spot-on.

• Fabulous King Room

All in all a great location, room and view. The hotel is older on average than many other W hotels, but the staff is amazing and the beds as always super comfortable and fluffy :) A special thanks to Vanessa from the reception for being very friendly, attentive and a great help.

• Mega Corner King

I was not informed there was a Halloween party on that night and the bar was closed at the hotel. Looked like a great party but I also could not buy tickets.

• Spectacular Two Doubles

my jacket got stolen as i forgot it at the bar, the security were professional and checked the cameras to see a woman stealing it but as i was flying the following day i couldnt do much about it.

• Spectacular Two Doubles

the hotel is dark, rooms are weird, they do not offer complimentary wifi in the room, they gave me a room with 2 beds and took a while to change....

nothing special...

• Spectacular King Room

Room could’ve been a little more cleaner I found a few strands of hair in the tub as well as nail clipping in the trash can :/ Also I did request a room on a higher floor but ended up on the 8th floor

The staff were amazing as well as the vibe all around. It was my second time staying there.

• Wonderful King Room

Staff was unpleasant, poor service. Charges for every little thing; parking $60, Wi-Fi $10, gel $3, was ridiculous for $400 a night in an average room.

• Spectacular King Room

Parking at the hotel is $60.00 plus per night. It's located downtown so it's hard to get to and from quickly. I wouldn't stay here again.

Not a lot to like. Over priced everything. Water is $5.00

• Fabulous Two Double Bed Room

I've stayed at W hotels before, this one just felt overpriced and everything was for sale, the lady who we even told that our bins were full upon check in didn't seem to care. Not with the price I paid!

• Spectacular Two Doubles

The parking for the hotel is not very obvious, it's a small sign that just says wheels. We missed it the first time and had to call the hotel to figure out where it was, after we were told it was easy enough. Parking is also expensive but it's San Francisco so you can't really complain. The parking attendants where all really nice and accommodating.

Room was very clean and surprisingly spacious. The beds were very very comfortable. Very nice and accommodating staff.

• Spectacular King Room

The pricing was a bit steep for a one night stay.

The room was extremely comfortable and the bed very cozy. My husband used the gym and was very Please. The punching bag was a plus! He couldn't stop raving about it.

• Spectacular King Room

After reserving and paying for a deluxe room with a king bed, I was told upon check-in that there were no deluxe rooms or king beds available in the entire hotel. Instead, I was charged full price for a room with a single double bed and drafty handicap shower with a shower head only 4 ft off the ground. I cannot believe the hotel charged me for a deluxe room anyways, they never even offered a discount or some sort of accommodation to justify the horrible little room they put me in! I would not stay here again.

The location, adjacent to SFMOMA and the Yerba Buena Gardens, is fantastic. Having the Bliss Spa products in the room is also a nice treat. Most of the staff is very helpful, especially the valet.

• Wonderful Two Doubles

Did not like the cost of taxi from Airport to Hotel $50! Did not like the cost of Hotel breakfast $40 Did not like the hidden taxes $30

San Francisco has typical of USA today . Homelessness and drug use on the streets.. you don't have to look far to find it . Also individuals with mental health issues , not at all blaming them . Would expect more from this society in terms of caring ...

The view of our room was a wall. There was a very noisy ice-machine in the hall-way that one could hear in the room.

Location is great and service is very good. We booked breakfast included and the choice/selection was great.

• Fabulous Two Double Bed Room

Very small room for over $500/night. Really poor business center with no one there to assist. No help in trying to link my Marriott and SPG accounts. Worst of all was the $14.95/hour for in room wifi. What is up with that????? I can't even get wifi in the room while paying over $500/night???!!!!!

Location, location, location

• Wonderful King Room

The bed still got my back hurting! I've been to the masseuse two times and my back still hurts after that mattress I'll never rent there again! How can I be compensated?

It looks nice

• Spectacular Two Doubles

The hotel room was full of products that the company was trying to push/sell. From coffee to pint sized bottles of alcohol, product placement was everywhere taking MY SPACE for which I had paid/rented. The decor is outdated especially when you think of the W as trying to be a modern and chic hotel.

The room was clean, quiet, and the bedding was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Spectacular Two Doubles

The room size was so small that it was fairly difficult to move about in it. We requested a roller bed to be placed in the room a week before our arrival but when we arrived the roller bed was not in the room and one could not be placed there because the room was too small. So, we had to ask the front desk to give us another room that could accommodate a roller bed. They did that but it took us some time to settle in.

The location is excellent and the staff were helpful and courteous.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Wonderful Two Doubles

Staff gave wrong information about breakfast time when we called to confirm when it was. A very peculiar computer system put massive pending charges on my card which I queried and was assured they'd all drop off apart from the correct one. This did indeed happen but initially charges 5x higher than they should have been were pretty alarming. They could do with sorting that out!

Great view of city from our room. Really convenient location. Beautifully conceived common areas and room very nice indeed.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Spectacular Two Doubles

I can't think of anything.

The hotel is very lively and hip. Rooms comfortable and a good size (in comparison to others in San Francisco). The W is in a good location. I don't like crowded hotels so this worked for me. The lobby has a DJ playing every evening, however the rooms are quiet and peaceful.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Wonderful King Room

The valet charge was steep - $65 per night. The hotel was noisy over the weekend as there is a bar/club that operates in the ground floor, which put us off from eating in the restaurant. There was a small bottle of water in the room - but there were two of us staying in the room. This seemed a bit stingy to me. Particularly as there was a bottle of water in the bathroom which they would then charge you $5 to have. Everything just seemed to have an additional cost - I personally would prefer slightly higher rates and included perks, like two bottles of water rather than one. Out of the four elevators in the hotel, only 1 was working on our first night, and only 2 on our second night. Not ideal when you're staying on the top (+30) floor! The location was not ideal for us - it was in the finance district which seemed away from the main hubbub of the city - next time, I think we'd stay closer to the wharf or the shopping district.

Staff were friendly, the room was clean (bit small for me!) and the bed was comfy. The coffee machine was good and the bathroom was nice. The staff kindly upgraded us as well, which was lovely!

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

No blackout curtains Expensive breakfast menu Noise from the hallways

Bed was very good TV transmition was really bad, no HD tv here, nor a smart one for that matter A little bit noise too... could here my fellow guests in the hallway And one thing that I hate when I don't have in hotels, blackout curtains! Unacceptable

• Wonderful King Room

Took 20 minutes to check in although there were not many people checking in. Computers seems quite slow and staff was not in a hurry to expedite the process. Also, from our room, we asked for a hair flat iron, but we're told this required a down payment. Hotel already had my credit card, so extra deposit for a flat iron seems unnecessary. Also, walls in shower and bathroom were not clean and had stain.

Comfortable bed

• Spectacular Two Doubles

The breakfast was not open buffet it was a selection from a fixed menue and that wasn't mentioned when I booked the property

I like the location short walk to moscone centre, westfield and union square

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Spectacular King Room

Money issues. I booked online. they took a deposit. i checked in and they took the whole amount of the stay out of my card(which i had paid 30% of with the deposit). Then they told me my debit card was declined as they tried to bill it again for the full amount. So i gave them my wife's card which they authorized for the full cost of the stay. When i asked about it; they said the last card was for incidentals, and the over charge will be returned when i check out. Guess what.... it wasn't. So i called to find out whats going on and they quickly transferred me to a voice mail box which told me to go online, submit a form, and get help that way. so now they have their money, and my money, and they can take as long as they want to return it.

good location. decent view

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Spectacular King Room

No pool. Small Room. Valet was a small fortune...like pretty much everything else.

Staff was great, but the rooms are small and coming from someone who travels a lot, and others would describe as not parsimonious by any means, pretty much everything is overpriced. From the lack of a pool to the overtly boogee Friday/Saturday crowd, my wife and I left with the feeling of "meh".

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Spectacular Two Doubles

Location isnt very good, but not unmanageable. that's all.

Everything is great from the minute we walked in until check out. I like the most is the staff, very friendly.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Wonderful King Room

It was very expensive and expected more. Valet parking is very expensive and thought it should be part of the room rate since there is no other options for parking . Total rip off

That comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Spectacular King Room

Poor welcome service unfortunately: no smile and no help offered for luggage; Room comfy but been bothered by external noise;

Location and accessibility; Nice room setup; Bar!

• Spectacular Two Doubles

The comforters had blood stains, hotel was dirty, photos make it look glamorous and upscale but it felt felt dingy. Parking rate was also the highest I've seen in San Francisco. I've stayed in many hotels in SF and this was the worst quality vs. price experience I've ever had. Lastly, when we complained about the blood stains etc nothing was done.

Location was central to great bars, restaurants and tourist attractions such as MOMA and Union Square.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• Spectacular Two Doubles

I did not appreciate that I needed to pay 50 USD!!! for the Wifi I used and three prints in the business center! I even got charged 80 USD and had to argue with the Reception - which is ridiculous! If you want to be a 5 Star Hotel there is no way you should be charged for using a business center. Never occured to me before.

I liked the room and the location

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Spectacular King Room

Very outdated rooms and decor. Whole hotel needs a re-fresh. Bed was very uncomfortable. "Spectacular" room did not live up to expectations.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Spectacular Two Doubles

Better get breakfast outside - you find ten times better deals! Cold atmosphere - no style. Walls are too thin you hear everything from your neighbors!

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Spectacular King Room

A few blocks further than I thought. Not a big deal.

Made the effort to ensure our first trip to SF was a memorable one! Sent up some champagne to our room w gummy bears!

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Mega Corner King

the staff is really cold, poor behavior of the front desk. They dont have free acess to the steam room! wow!!

bar n restaurant was amazing... plus the location is superb

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Wonderful Two Doubles

Unfortunately there are some rooms with a view of the concrete building next door, but to be expected I suppose when you're in a city of high rises

Room super clean and beds very comfortable

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Spectacular King Room

The facility in this W is quite old, window shade was shabby and broken, and the bath tub wasn't cleaned well the first day I got there.

Staff was very nice and helpful as always in all W I've stayed.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Wonderful Two Doubles

You could see anything outside, just the white wall of the moma museum. We had to ask for more towels (we were 5 and they put 2). We asked for crib sheets and they told us we had to pay for it. When we arrive there was a wedding and we could not hear what the lobby person was saying. The parking fee is ridicolous. The size of the room was really small.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Wonderful King Room

Next door was partying until 3am. Very loud. We had a handicap room because they had no other rooms left.

Would not stay here again. Recommend the Marriott in Union Square

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Wonderful Two Doubles

I had very high expectations for W Hotel based on my previous stays at other locations. However, when I stepped in my room I felt like I was at more of a roadside motel. The room was worn out, the carpet was stained at multiple areas and the bathroom light was flickering (which was replaced by the hotel swiftly). Also, not to mention our windows faced the wall of SFMOMA 10 feet away.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Wonderful Two Doubles

Unsafe area (thiefs, strippers), inefficient security team, poor management (I am still waiting a call from the GM). An hotel is not just the brand, safety, service, and hospitality are what customers are looking for.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Wonderful Two Doubles

Very organized I called at midnight requesting assistance with WiFi connection. The staff were very helpful, patient and for the job done very quickly.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Fabulous King Room

Free wifi only in the reception area which isn't over comfortable to sit in. Seems incongruous that in San Fran wifi isn't free throughout the hotel. Cost per hour for the room was prohibitive.

Very comfortable room, west-facing towards the city. High up made it a great view. Not over large room but well appointed, good bathroom. Very helpful staff. Good location near the main tourist areas and sights. Great place for breakfast round the corner!

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Fantastic Suite

I reserved a very expensive suite that was not ready for 2 hours after check-in. This was a huge inconvenience and unexpected when you are paying a substantial amount of money. Unacceptable. Also, the morning front (check-in) staff should smile a little more. It was like pulling teeth to get an answer.

This is an outstanding hotel simply because it is pure luxury minus the pretentiousness! Hard to find.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Wonderful Two Doubles

The beds were appalling, creating chronic backache and sleepless nights. We booked a room for our family of four with 2 "double" beds which were not much bigger than 2 single beds. They were so small and uncomfortable that one of our children had to sleep in the alcove of the window to create more space in the beds. Our complaint to management fell on deaf ears, and we were duly informed that they could do a " deal" on an upgrade for a reduced price of $800! Other US hotels throughout our holiday provided complimentary upgrades as a matter of course as we had already paid for a higher category of room as a family of 4. A sandwich and herbal tea to my room came to $36! The W San Fransisco is not to be recommended.

Nothing. It was a terrible, over-priced hotel.

• Fabulous Two Double Bed Room

The deposit for the room. But its hotel policy

Really nice staff,complimentary car service in the city limit's (saved on uber/taxi) rate included breakfast which was amazing. Great location, fantastic views from the room. Room was clean and quiet.look forward to coming back next time I'm in San Francisco

Browse W San Francisco traveller photo gallery