Reviews of Hotel Wales 3 stars

1295 Madison Avenue, Upper East Side, New York, NY 10128, USA

#267 of 415 hotels in New York

• Classic Double Room

No water boiler in the room and staff said they had none, no fridge. There is a coffe station on second floor but if you take the hot water for tea it is tasting like coffee as it must have been in a coffee. Beds a bit too soft.

Good Restaurant next door. Good location for museum visits on East Side.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

What I didn't like; where to start. Well we booked a suite for 3 nights after flying halfway across the country. Only for them to tell us sorry the room is booked out you can have it tomorrow, for now you can have a small room. Then to find out we couldn't actually move in till 2pm the next day. Obviously spending our time waiting in the hotel lobby was the last thing we wanted to do! Extremely disappointed, very unprofessional and not what we had booked at all! Really feel like better care could have been taken and a lot more respect was needed!

Kahn the bellman was amazing that is all!

• Queen Suite

Location is good we walked to.the Met Breuer . Bit old school feeling in the rooms perfectly Ok. Slightly dull too brownish & tan color scheme..but unobrusive. the carpet perhaps too icky. Makes me adk how old? how many street shoes walked it. Mini fridge just sitting on room floor. No big deal but no extra freebie welcome snacks. Clean white bathroom. Great bed Like apt living more than hotel but i like that.

Clean- great staff & baggage help. Fantastic old school classic spacious communal room on the 2nd floor with lots of windows & roomy modern bathrooms done old style. Super clean. Plenty of tea/coffee and comfy chairs NYTimes magazines & power outlets! Fab windows in room too. Very sunny if small, bathroom in our room-best strong shower pressure we had a mini suite with chaise lounge nice sitting sofa chairs desk.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The bathroom door was broken. That being said, the maintenance person came quickly and rescued my husband who was locked inside. The only way to fix it, evidently, was to remove the entire door knob and lock.

• Classic Queen Room

No tea facilities in the room, fairly noisy ( the walls are thin and we heard our neighbors talking for most of the night)

Very comfortable room, lovely bed, beautiful position, fabulous bar. Loved the use of the bikes to explore the area.

• Suite with Two Double Beds

I was charged 46 USD fee in the check in for I don't know extacly why? They didn't explain very well

The location is perfect, nice restaurants around and transportation pretty close

• Classic Queen Room

Little worried about bed bugs as mattress had no protective cover. The dark room, musty old ac unit, older rug, fabric covered chair and window coverings made room feel unclean. Did not want to sit or be barefoot.

Location, pillows, bathroom tile and shower

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The air conditioning was extremely dirty and old and we ended getting sick from the mold. Couldn’t wait to leave the windows need fixing and carpets need cleaning everything is musty. I have asthma bad choice now I have an upper respiratory infection. Was a very expensive 5 days!

• Classic Twin Room

Great location! Staff was able to change room the next day as the room was not appropriate. 'Twin rooms on reservation is misleading'. It should say 'twin beds'. I wanted a double of queen ned.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The mouse that followed the doorman into our room. Dingy dark rooms. Nothing like pictures. Nice old building that needs major work.The fire - evacuation first day. Fire in building at restaurant 2 up - hallways full of smoke. No clear advise from Hotel management. We quickly got out with passports, phones, laptop. We used excuse about family so we didn't have to stay any longer than 2 nights & give us time to get another hotel. It is fair to say New York was not the trip I was hoping for!!!!

• Classic Queen Room

The beds and the pictures of the rooms were deceiving. From the picture rooms were much nicer and it was pictured to be a corner lot hotel which it is not

• Classic Double Room

The staff was helpful although I didn’t know about the complimentary coffee on the mezzanine until my last morning. Rooftop is nice. The restaurants next door were convenient and close. I would stay again, yes, and I would tell my friends.

• Classic Double Room

The standard rooms were tiny. They did move me to a room with a queens size bed but not much bigger. Paint was flaking of the ceiling. Bedroom wall colors were depressing. The shower came on by itself at 3am did not stop for 15mins.

The stafff were very friendly.

• Classic Queen Room

The room was smaller than it appeared in the advertisement, and the decorations and linen were a bit dated.

The staff was very friendly, and they gave us complimentary wine when we told them it was our anniversary!

• Suite with Two Double Beds

The trip could have been longer ;-)

Everything was excellent! I love this hotel. I have stayed there before, and it has consistently been a great experience. In fact, I would say it's gotten better since I was last there in 2016. They were so great to our kids! Housekeeping even "styled" their stuffed animals on their beds! Little touches like that show kids they are welcome, and it meant a lot to us. The location is fantastic because we love to walk in Central Park, around the reservoir in the mornings, and the breakfast at Sarabeth's -- while expensive -- is superb. We will be back next year for sure!

The queen size bedroom was very small. I opened the door and there was the bed. The shower had a temper of its own. One day the water was very hot, the next day i could not even get a warm. Pictures of the rooms on the website was very deceiving. I expected the suite rooms to be a more elegant or similar dressing as the second floor.

The water pressure, the quiet neighborhood, a restaurant and a market next door.

• Classic Double Room

I didn't know there would be scaffolding on the outside of the building which was a little bit disappointing.

I loved the fact that this hotel was an independent and not part of a chain. The decor and design of the place was great - but I will say that it was a little bit unloved in our room. The cleanliness was exceptional

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The heater in the room did not work well The water problem in the bathroom for two days was also cold Coffee and tea There is always no hot water most of the time

Everything was good and I received a lot of help from the hotel staff

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

outside windows could be cleaner. Beautiful hotel which has been maintained

Room size and cleanliness. Beautiful view. The patio sitting area was so peaceful.

• Classic Double Room

The bathroom,- rain head shower with one side open allowed water to soak the floor every single time. The water temperature in the shower took some time to adjust and re adjust constantly while showering. With the one side open design in the shower I was cold during my shower. The shower is pretty. But inadequate, very unhappy with it. I never had a pleasant relaxing shower once in my three nights . No adequate storage in room, the built-in closet, although very cute was not deep enough to enable you to hang your clothes. The two drawers underneath had a rough scratchy material. And one was dirty. So I did not want to put my clothes in there , they would have gotten snagged. Some shelf liners would have fixed this problem. The built-in closet could have been reconfigured by someone who actually cared. There was not enough empty surfaces to place your items. Being a cold April the heat was on. the room did become too hot, had to open the windows. I will not return.

Very comfortable bed. Staff was super polite. Elevator was quick. Location was convenient. Windows open. Clean with some exceptions.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The boiler broke for a day which meant no hot water. But on the plus side, no clanking radiators either!

I love the old fashioned furniture and bathroom from the early 20th century. The place reminded me of my grandparents’ place where I visited as a child. The price was also reasonable for NYC.

Like all prices in NY too expensive. And the shower didn't work properly. Q

Classic design, clean, helpful staff. Especially Lorraine was great, many thanks. Good bed. Good location near the Central park.

• Classic Queen Room

It’s old, old building, so heater must make noise whenever it needs! If you are shallow sleeper, I won’t recommend —- or bring a pair of good ear plugs!

Cleanness, very friendly stuff, free use of computer to check in flight, complementaly bottles of water, 24-hr large lounge with sofa and table and free coffee and tea.

• Classic Double Room

Need to plan if you are exploring NYC, Hotel is a hike from downtown, cannot easily 'pop back' during day

Brilliant location on the UES, ten minute walk to Subway at 96th or 86th, great selection of breakfast places within 250m.

• Classic Double Room

Website and hotel pictures were misleading. It was very expensive and quality was terrible. The hotel is old and not well taken care of. The rooms are very small and bed was not comfortable. The check-in staff tried to stick us to a super small room when we first arrived, and only changed us to a decent (still small) room after we complained. Don't recommend to any traveler.

Location is good, right next to central park.

• Classic Double Room

Everything was great but the water in the shower was too hot and ultimately one shower head broak and sprayed me with hot water. Other than that. No complaints.

Construction noise all night long there was banging. Rooms need to be refurbished. The carpet was old, the bathroom had mismatched tile, the bed was very low and the bed skirt was hanging on the floor, there was a lip going into the bathroom and I stubbed my toe. The lighting was poor, one of the window shades needed to be replaced the slats were falling off. The room needed to be painted. I have been going here for years since they opened and this hotel has steadily gone downhill. Dead Boxwood in the coffee lounge was a clear indication that the standard is low. I heard there are new owners I am hoping that they will bring this hotel to the class it once was when it first opened. Love the location.

Location near Central Park and Museums

• Suite with Two Double Beds

We were kept awake all night by an awful loud hissing from the radiator this was after asking for it to be turned off and a replacement heater brought to us, we were moved into another room the next day but wasn’t much better, the heating system is awful. (We were given a $50 breakfast voucher for our troubles) Very cold room also even with heating on so not great with 5 children, bad draft coming from windows and noticed sticky tape on them blocking the gaps! Room very small for a “suite”

Great breakfast, nice location, great view from roof terrace

• Classic Queen Room

Stayed in a Queen room which had an extremely noisy, water heating system which kept kicking in in the wee hours of the morning. It sounded like a high pitch kettle boiling. maintenance called twice to try and fix but to no avail. Also Queen rooms surround an internal area where there is a very noisy external exhaust fan that goes all night. Hardly slept! Moved rooms but similar store the floor above. Disappointed!

• Classic Twin Room

We could here people walking down the hall all night and our neighbors talking in a normal volume. We didn't call to complain because it was regular conversation, no noise insulation.

It's a beautiful old building with lots of character. The staff was amazing and it was very clean.

• Classic Double Room

Tiny room with very limited amenities, bad TV with no on demand movies, just way way overpriced. Woulda been fine if it were half as expensive. I stayed in a fully equipped suite at a different hotel the next day for less money.

Staff was all nice.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The bathroom must be updated.

Location was great for me as I had a local appointment. The fact that Sarabeths is attached to the hotel is super.my room wa

• Classic Queen Room

The very loud banging coming from the heating system.

The room was small but adequate, with the exception of the loud - very loud- banging coming from the heating system, it was fine. The hotel has a very nice open room on the 2nd floor with coffee and tea available at all hours. We were pleased to have the extra space and hospitality. The front desk and valet staff were very helpful.

Very small elevators. Hotel doesn’t look like it’s been updated since 1950

Older city hotel with small rooms and very old bathrooms. Hotel needs updating. Location is key factor.

• Classic Double Room

normal rooms are located to an inside patio fully equipped with climatization units. Sometimes quite noisy.

very gentle staff, well organized, changing rooms because of a noisy surrounding has been easily realized, nice meeting area with free coffee and tea and fantastic roof terrace place. perfect located in order to visit the museums at Fifth Avenue

• Classic Double Room

There seems to be a huge difference between the “good” rooms depicted on the website and the basic ones. Mine was the smallest and the cheapest (“just” $300 a night) but I at least expected heat for that much.

Sarabeth’s Kitchen is well known all over the city as a great breakfast/lunch place. We ate there both mornings it was so good. Unfortunately they don’t seem to give priority to hotel guests, except for giving us the option to wait in our rooms until a table was ready.

• Classic Queen Room

Room was a bit small and could have had a more comfortable reading chair.

Charm and character of the renovated old building was retained. The mezzanine was a fine feature.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The room was tiny, and other than Central Park it wasn’t really close to anything. The main bed in the room was collapsing on one side and although the heating ended up being sufficient enough, most of the time we found the old style radiator was either too hot to touch (not good when you have young children) or cold and left us wondering if it was actually working. Needs a major makeover!

Close to Central Park. It was clean. The lobby and other common areas were quite nice.

• Premium Suite with City View

A bit tight corridors, but it's an old building

Historical building with old time flavors. Helpful staff and in minutes walking distance from Central Park, the Metropolitan, the Gogenhein Museum and nature museum. Comfortable and clean room with huge bad.

• Classic Double Room

The radiators clanging in the nighttime and it was quite draughty in our bedroom especially when it was -15 centigrade outside! However the heating was adequate.

The faded elegance, the friendly staff, the quirkiness of the plumbing, the location close to the park and museums.

Bathroom floor tiles needed replacing & the bathroom floor rug was matted & hard. Ability to adjust room temp would be good.

Clean, Quiet, Comfortable & Cozy. Staff was excellent. Room service prompt. All exceeded expectations

• Classic Queen Room

Room looked quite worn. Note that the standard Queen room is extremely compact and not all rooms feature the updated decor. Room was quite cold, with a draft coming from the windows. Consider asking the front desk for a space heater if you travel in winter.

The bathroom was spacious and clean. Friendly bell man. Convenient location to get to and from LaGuardia airport. Surrounded by good restaurants. Short distance to Central Park.

• Classic Double Room

Size of room noise in hallway

Very friendly staff. Room very small but clean and large shower. Was impressed by fellow guests because cost was low the clientele was up scale.

• Suite with Two Double Beds

The pullout sofa could have been more comfortable. That's about it.

Loved the historic look and feel, the well-appointed rooms, the friendly staff, the spacious lounge for sipping morning coffee, and the location!

• Classic Queen Room

Dark and shabby room, noisy, holes in linen, rips in a terribly thread bare rug, no place for clothing other than a closet, no artwork or semblance of caring for the client

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Tub that would'nt drain..Hotel photos show Walk-in Showers..NOT IN MY KING SUITE!! No heat in room for cool mornings...NON REFUNDABLE RESEVERVATION! I have learned my lesson on the "Cheaper rate" trap...

I liked the neighborhood....

Room was a bit tired, and the coffee room quite bare... Since there is no breakfast served at the hotel it would be nice to have a microwave and refrigerator in the coffee room so that we can heat up the water in the dispenser when cold or put a yogurt in the fridge for the morning. My issue was one of value for money.... I booked one night on booking.com for $187.00.... the room I was given for that rate was a suite, and the price felt like a great value for money. However, in need of a 2nd night, the room rate for a standard was a whopping $470 for the night. Because of my personal and travel situation (severely jetlagged!) I needed to stay a second night.... The Manager was kind and I received a small discount on the 2nd night.... I stayed and Paid - I am not complaining..... However, the rooms are not worth that much and I would have felt better with a median rate for both nights of $225 or so, that's really what a room is worth considering the simplicity of the property.

Bed was comfy and bathroom nice. Staff was very nice.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Nice sized room for Manhattan standards. Excelent location if you want to stay outside of noisy NY. We stayed in a suite room with our 3 kids (9,4,3 yo) and there was plenty room for all of us and there was a small fridge that allowed us to store milk and yoghurt. Spotless bathroom

no dresser in thesuite

the pillows were extra fluffy. the housekeepers r always helpful. the airconditioner was quiet and the windows could be opened. the location

• Classic Queen Room

Outstanding, in town for a wedding in Central Park. We stayed in the Penthouse as I asked for a "quiet" room. I am a very light sleeper. This was a perfect room, only one small window but out the door was the roof top terrace with a wonderful view of the park. I had the best nights sleep. The bonus was the breakfast we had next door at "Island". I thought I died and went to heaven as the served complimentary popovers on Sunday mornings. Would stay here again. Used ParkWhiz app to find inexpensive parking a couple of blocks away.

• Classic Queen Room

The room we were given on arrival had no external view, very little natural light and an old, extremely noisy air-conditioning unit that prevented sleep. There was also a limited choice of delis, cafes and restaurants in the vicinity and the subway was some blocks away.

Staff were extremely helpful and understanding. For the last three nights of our stay, we were switched into a room higher up in the hotel, with sunlight, views and a quieter air-conditioning unit. Bliss! Another resident told us about the rooftop garden - an excellent place to relax, especially late afternoon/around sunset. The hotel was located in a quiet neighbourhood, just one block away from Central Park and Museum Mile.

• Classic Double Room

Room was very small but we planned on being out and about the whole time so this really was not a problem. The glass shower door seemed like it should have been wider so the water did not all flow all over the bathroom floor.

SaraBeth's was very good and just downstairs. Staff very Friendly. Great AC. Open stairs encouraged use (even if on 7th floor). Rooftop lounge was awesome relaxing place.

• Classic Queen Room

The room was very small. But hey, this is NYC. We were not expecting huge.

Perfect location as we were visiting family who live on the upper east side.

• Classic Queen Room

The basic rooms have a view of the inner courtyard so there is effectively no view and it is dark all day. Window a/c is loud so it can be hard to sleep at night. Bathroom relatively large but no fan and barely any space where to store things.

Great and relatively peaceful location near central park! Being able to use the terrace is great and the mezzanine is a nice place to relax. Staff was kind and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

Arrived just after 3:00 (and a three plus hour drive) for a three pm check-in. The room was not ready for more than two hours. Repeatedly advised by staff they would "take care of me." Put us into the "Penthouse" which even by NYC standards was very small. Room barely big enough for the bed. No dresser. Had to function from a luggage stand and the floor. Bathroom extremely small and old fixtures. Toilet was wedged against the wall; very awkward to use. No bathroom counter space except for window ledge. Recognizing that prices are high in NYC (Manhattan) one should still get fair value for the price paid. We did not. Would never go back.

Bed was comfortable. Rooftop was nice.

• Classic Queen Room

We weren't looking for glamorous. The place needs an upgrade in general - hallway carpets, fixtures loose in bathroom, upgrade on the roof in general. But it was perfect for us and our personal style.

Casual, friendly and informal. Loved the roof and 2nd floor spaces. Staff was great. Liked having family friendly atmosphere. No discomfort about being a same-sex couple.

• Classic Twin Room

Comfortable clean room & bathroom. Classic building with old world charm & character, beautifully decorated with photographs of New York landmarks. Excellent staff & service. Always taxis available at front door. Excellent first class neighbourhood with fine dining restaurants, convenient bakery & cafe nearby, a few blocks walk to subway station. Walk a few blocks to Central Park. Short walk to Guggenheim Museum, Jewish Museum, MET Metropolitan Museum of Art & other museums. Free coffee & tea in spacious lounge. Roof top terrace with tables & chairs to relax enjoy the view.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The bath was too old and the color layers were flaked off. Nearby shops to buy some necessary thing like water, toothbrush etc were too expensive.

Good location. Friendly staff.

• Classic Queen Room

Some front desk were very rude and unhelpful. No coffee/tea making facilities nor mini bar in the room. Had to pay extra to use a computer and the room was next to a lift which made the room noisy at times.

The hotel is located in an excellent part of Manhattan especially for the Museums. The room was lovely and the housekeeper kept the room spotlessly clean. Doorman (Jose) was very helpful as was Felicity on front desk.

• Premium Suite with City View

Too old... in need of serious renovation. Not good value for money at just under $500 a night given old carpets, old air con etc...

Staff very very friendly & kind

NA

Totally convenient for my business needs. Staff was professional and extremely helpful. Great bed, sheets and pillows. A new bathroom, very clean.

• Classic Queen Room

The room was very small and very dark, like a cave. Very little space to hang clothes. The air condition unit was extremely noisy and had a mind of its own. The only good thing was the shower.

• Classic Double Room

Upper East Side location perfect to be close to 92Y. Staff very accommodating but not intrusive. Quiet safe neighborhood. Room comfortable and well appointed. I missed my flight home and staff happily held my luggage all day and let me relax in the common room to recharge. Will definitely be back.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The hotel is looking very tired. I have stayed at the Hotel Wales and I can see that in a year's time things are look sad. Carpets, furniture (wobbly desk, chipped coffee table) need to be replaced. Also, why not consider an updated look with the wall paper and accessories? Throw pillows are cheap and soiled looking and should be replaced immediately.

I am from NYC and I love returning to my old neighborhood to see family and friends although a mid-town hotel would be more convenient for business. The staff is excellent and I enjoy having the mezzanine to sit and catch up on e-mails while having my first cup of coffee.

• Classic Double Room

Not much.. price, lol. Should be a tad less.

The front desk staff, very polite, helpful, and knowledgeable. I felt welcomed. Very clean and comfortable stay. Easy accessible to taxi. Thank you.

• Classic Double Room

Room slightly too small - difficult to access cupboards. Wifi intermittent in room Air con became extra loud when on high Smell of food from nearby kitchen

free tea and coffee Bathroom nice Location good Staff helpful Information available - maps sightseeing etc

• Premium Suite with City View

A bit more closet space for four people could be nice, but we also had a lot of stuff with us, since we came for 10 days. Besides this, all was perfect.

We loved our 10 days stay at Hotel Wales. The family room was spacious, we had a gorgeous view, it was all spotless clean, staff was friendly. We enjoyed the complementary coffee and tea 24/7. For breakfast you have Yura on Madison right opposite of the Hotel. We went there with the kids almost every morning. We loved the location. Since it is upper east-side, it is not very central, but we loved getting away from the noise and hectic at the end of the day. Restaurants in that area are indeed very pricey, but if you make the 10 minutes walk to 2nd street you find lots of restaurants in all kinds of styles.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

No ramp for stroller and the stroller only fit in one elevator but there was no way to call that elevator specifically so it was a constant game of getting the one big elevator to come.

Great value for the money especially with Toddlers. There was a kitchen and extra room with a pull out couch.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful at all times. The hotel is approximately 5 minutes walk from Central Park and there was a variety of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

• Classic Queen Room

Cramped quarters, a dismal courtyard view, and a noisy air conditioner.

The location was very good since we were near Mt Sinai hospital where my husband was having surgery. That is why we selected the hotel.

• Suite with Two Double Beds

A lovely room in a smart hotel, friendly staff in a nice location. It was close to Central Park and the fabulous Guggenheim museum, but a few stations out on tbe green line on subway (manageable though). It was great to have a room that could fit my family of 5 in - 3 teen boys. We all felt comfortable.

• Classic Twin Room

Disable access (staircases to entrance, Saraberh's and to the terass, narrow corridoors Air condition are very loud (54 decibel not 35 as modern and recommended aircondition). It causes poor sleep. The staff in the entrance barely looked at you and was indifferent, except Loreen she always had a smile and was excellent. The view from the room - a wall.

Only the clineliness

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Air in Lobby and elevator lift hot and stuffy

Location and old style classic. Loved the Terrance overlooking rooftops and corner suite with antique furniture plus well functioning bathroom items.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing... very nice staff, great service.

Exceptionally good location on Madison near Mt Sinai Medical Center. Short walk to 96th St Lexington Ave subway. Delightful 1920s style totally modernized hotel with charm and character.

\n/a

Great location, a block away from central park. The staff was super nice, the rooms were clean and spacious. Loved the roof top garden. Beautiful views

Browse Hotel Wales traveller photo gallery