Reviews of Washington Jefferson at Times Square 3 stars

318 West 51st Street, Hell's Kitchen, New York, NY 10019, USA

#339 of 415 hotels in New York

Room was small but did the job. AC was centrally controlled. Could be noisy at night but usually too tired to notice.

Perfect location. Staff were friendly and helpful. Bed comfortable and bathroom facilities were good. Would stay again.

• Standard Room

Bathroom was very small (but otherwise fine)

Comfortable beds, received an upgrade for free, complimentary morning coffee/tea and New York Times, quiet street

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No view at all, and the room was long and narrow, not very well appointed.

Relatively large room for New York City, queen size beds, and a nicely remodeled bath room.

• Deluxe Room Two Twin Beds

It was very hot and air con didn’t really reach us in the room. Wish we’d had a kettle to make tea and that we could open windows.

Comfortable beds, nice shower, kind staff and great location

• Standard Full

Friendly staff and a welcoming environment. Came for two Broadway shows and was able to easily store luggage and check in after the matinee. Very pleased with my stay.

Great location, less than ten mins walk from Times Square. Great places to eat nearby. The hotel is nice. Rooms very small however with loud air con. Lovely bathroom. Tea and coffee oy available Mon to Fri and no kettle in rooms. Only small thing but paying that price, its be nice to have unlimited cups of tea! Great stay overall though.

• Standard Room

The pictures on the site are a little deciving as to how small the room actually was. There was little cupboard space to unpack and no room to really have a suitcase standing open either. The room was a little “worn” as well. I suppose if my expectations had been less it would have been fine but my feeling was the pictures make it look much nicer than what it actually was. We also had a room on the street side. The windows are not sound proofed at all and we hardly slept for 2 nights with trucks doung garbage pickups very loudly etc

Lack of a hotel restaurant/bar.

The staff very friendly. Upon arrival given a packet of info re NYC, and suggestions on breakfast spots. There really isn't any hotel restaurant /bar, but there is a door that takes you from the lobby to the restaurant next door. The single rooms are small, with no chair to sit in (tho the bed is comfortable to sit on once pillows adjusted to lean against). Made suggestion that a nice folding deck chair could be stored with folding luggage stand, and guests could sit more relaxed.

• Standard Room

Bathroom is a bit small (but otherwise fine)

Good beds/mattrasses, complimentary morning coffee/tea (weekdays) and New York Times newspaper, received a free upgrade to a larger room than booked, quiet street

• Standard Room

The location is fantastic lots of local shops and restaurants . The subway is 5 minutes walk and Times Square about 10 minutes walk , in a side street so felt more homely , room small especially the bathroom but serviced well with every thing to hand , we brought our own kettle with tea and coffee as non provided , hotel does not have its own restaurant but plenty of choice locally . Best value for money if you don’t want a big posh hotel , top tip get a weekly metro card $33 dollars , the subway is easy to use and very efficient, we also booked the New York pass which saved us money and time queuing. Celebrating my 50 the birthday here had been fantastic , great city , nice hotel 🍎😎

The specific room where I stayed was next to the service door, and when the door slammed it could be heard inside really loud, mostly late in the evening or early in the morning.

It's was great location to be based at, both for my business purposes and also to explore Manhattan on my free time. The ebd was comfortable

No breakfast and lousy coffee

Great hotel value for money. We booked a king size room and it was fine. The hotel was clean and staff was very helpful. Cleaning was perfect and very good beds and duvets

The room was not clean and dust was clearly visible in the room,particularly on the bedside clock. Apart the bed being made each day and fresh towels provided when requested, the room and bathroom were not cleaned. The bathroom taps were dirty as this could be seen around the taps. Overall standard of cleanliness was poor. The room was too small, no breakfast facility available at this hotel.

Hote staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Full

Did not like the lack of facilities to have breakfast within the hotel, however there are so many restaurants in the nearby streets that this was not a problem

The hotel was in an excellent location! The staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was clean and tidy. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel felt safe and we felt entirely welcome by all the staff! Would stay here again!

• Standard Full

The staff was not particularly helpful starting from the check in to the check out!! The room is very small almost no space for a suitcase! You can’t actually open suitcases in the room!! It’s Really not worth the price

The room was clean and location is really good!

• Deluxe Room Two Twin Beds

The bathroom was very small. The only mirror was in the bathroom. It would have been nice to have a mirror maybe hanging on the main door that led out in hallway. The lighting wasnt very good. The tv in our room wasnt the best quality. Channels were a bit fuzzy (white specs) The thermometer was not very user friendly. The room kept getting warm.

The people at front desk were very friendly. Though the room was small it was very clean and so was bathroom. The beds were comfortable. We had two twin beds. They had one softer pillow and one firmer pillow which was great because I prefer the softer one.Location was great! It was only me and my daughter traveling and we stayed one night.

My room was really small and it wouldn't have been a problem if i didn't spend $207 on it for one night. I've been in a nicer room for half the price. The hotel walls are pretty thin. My bed was pretty stiff too but I don't think that really messed with my sleep.

The location was nice. I was near a lot of restaurants and a cell phone store which was nice because i forgot my phone charger. Everything is in nice walking distance. My room was nice and clean. I also appreciated my room being too warm because it was nice to come into after walking outside. There is a AC to cool the room down but i didn't use it.

• Standard Full

While room was exceptionally clean it was quite small and bed was rather hard.

The hotel is well located to Time Square, very clean and staff were very accommodating

• Standard Room

The window is facing windows of other rooms so inconvenient if you want to open the curtain and have some natural light into the room

Very good location, nice staff

• Standard Room

The room was too small. The bed took up the majority of the room which meant that I could not sit on one side of the bed with my feet planted on the floor. Basically, I spent the entire time in the room on the bed. This place was not worth its value.

It's proximity to Times Square. The towels and wash clothes were quality and the room was clean.

definitely rooms could have been better, old rooms and nothing close to what was shown in booking.com, very deceptive. Again no breakfast, so very inconvenient for business traveller. poor wifi facilities.

the location is great, close to times square and restaurants as it is in hell's kitchen.

• Deluxe Room Two Twin Beds

Air conditioning heating didn't work. No offer to move me. Rooms were tiny - I had to buy another single room for 2 nights in order to sleep.

Honestly only the location

Single room is spacious enough for one person and bed is very comfortable. Room was very warm. Convenient location: Hell's Kitchen, Theater District, Times Square and Central Park are just short walk away. Anything else is covered by nearby subway stations. Friendly staff. It was my second visit to Washington Jefferson and I will definitely stay there again.

• Standard Full

The room was a lot shabbier than what the photos had showed, and was quite small. The lampshades and walls were stained and there was barely room for both our suitcases. Overall service was so-so

The location is fabulous - within walking distance to Times Square, Broadway and right next to Hell's Kitchen, meaning lots of wonderful food options. There was a gym which we didn't even know when we booked it, and though very small it had just about enough facilities. Very clean washroom. Extremely close to the metro

• Standard Room

Heater/AC sat on wall above head of bed. Didn't like sleeping with our heads under that so we slept upside down in the bed.

Great location. Wonderful French restaurant across the street. Staff gave recommendation for good breakfast spot nearby.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There is so much that I did not enjoy about this hotel. The hotel was not clean. The room furniture had tons of dust and the sheets and pillow cases had stains (we requested they be changed, but the new covers also had stains). There is also an off-putting smell in the building.The elevator is tiny (4 person max) and took a long time. I often resorted to using the stairs -which was fine for me, but not a choice for certain family members that were older. Overall, this was one of the worst places I have stayed in and would not recommend.

I liked the location. The staff was polite and respectful.

• Standard Full

Aircon in the rooms doesn't work, our room was 87°.We asked for it to be looked at and when it still didn't work the receptionist was exceptionally rude to us. Three days later housekeeping agreed to put in a window air con unit.

Location of the hotel was pretty good. The housekeeper was lovely.

• Deluxe Room Two Twin Beds

It's a bummer when people break the rules. The illicit smoker on the floor below us I believe (the hotel is non-smoking) made for a smelly wake-up a couple of mornings in a row.

Beds were comfortable, room was quiet overall, location was fantastic. One of the doormen, Ariel, was incredibly helpful and engaging. The others were indifferent to guests.

Room was small-ish.

It's a very convenient and quiet location. Early check in was possible, which was much appreciated. Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful.

• Standard Room

Tiny rooms - I have stayed there many many times first time I asked for anything they made me feel like scum and thst was the manager - all I asked for was bag storage -astonishing behaviour

• Standard Full

I really disliked my room. The floor was noticeably uneven. My view was of a brick wall and other peoples windows. The radiator hissed all night. And was really warm i had to put the aircon in just to combat the heat. The blinds on the window were broken. I couldnt open the window. No bedside lamp. There was a window in the bathroom... right in the shower! No bench space at all in the bathroom. (better than the actual room) girls with long hair that need to be straightened... thats a big deal. However it was a nice bathroom In terms of tea and coffee. I wasnt told there was coffee offered in the morning. So missed that. Plus theres NO coffee facilites in the room. They should have an urn in the lobby at all times. It snowed... i just wanted a tea in my room. The location was great but... id be happy to look elsewhere next time. The doormen were LOVELY!!!

Location was great. Basically on 8th street... next street over was broadway. I walked everywhere and was within maybe 10 or 15 minutes of the theatres.

• Standard Room

It´s a nuissance that breakfast is not included. A pity that the cleaning service insisted in coming into my room very early. When I'm on vacation I like to stay up late and remain in bed until 9 am.

It's great to be able to walk back to the hotel late at night because the area is so safe. The bathroom and the heating were perfect, and I was lucky to get a room overlooking the street, so in the morning I could see the sight and whether it was snowing outside.

• Standard Room

Perfect Location, Vers Friendly staff, Water (Hot & cold) always available. Complementary tea and coffee during the week. Room very nice and comfy. Small bathroom. Metro right around the corner. Safe area

• Standard Room

It was extremely small. I was challenging for my husband and I to get ready to say the least. There was no coffee, ice machine or continental breakfast.

The staff was friendly and it was within walking distance from sightseeing!

• Standard Full

Room was too hot and never managed to lower the temperature even after asking.

Very pleasant, cheerful staff. Easy to reach Central Park and lots of foody places on 9th Ave

This is not good for a Business person, rooms are too tight! It is a small hotel so rooms are too tight! The staff, there was 2 members of staff that where Professional! However the rest where behaving very very weird!! The staff needs more training!

The location is very good

• Standard Full

the room was clean, warm (sometimes to warm) bathroom clean, very good location walking distance from time square, central park etc. staff was very nice and helpful

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Staff is Wonderful... this is my third time @ the WJ and I’m picky...

The only missing element is a coffee machine in the room. I knew this so I bring my little traveling K-machine. There is a coffee place right across the street however, I like a cup of joe immediately out if bed.

• Standard Room

The internet connection was awful.....It disconnected literally every 5 minutes. Also to communicate with the technical service was not feasible as I couldn't get through. The only time I managed to get through, a recorded message responded saying that they were trying to fix the problem. The problem remained and there was no improvement or change, whatsoever.

The room was nice, the price was fair and the staff friendly and accommodating. Also, the I loved the area the hotel is located (Hell's Kitchen) and the fact that it was so near Times Square and Broadway and yet, cheaper and quieter.

• Standard Room

The bed was a little hard. It was nice to have tea and coffee in the lobby in the morning, but I went down at 9 a.m. and it was already cleaned away. It would have been nice to have this out longer in the morning and through the day.

Very nice staff, great location, pretty lobby with a nice amount of seating.

The heating in the room was a little too hot and the only way to cool the room was by opening a window but it was -7 outside!

Very helpful reception staff.

I would choose it again if the price is appropriate. I didn't have much time there to enjoy or evaluate further the hotel.

The hotel is located two minutes walk from the blue Metro line, which takes you to JFK international airport. Red metro line is about five minutes walk, which take you to Pennsylvania station and you can take a train to Newark international airport. Times Square is about ten minutes walk or less from the hotel, broadway street and theaters is less than five minutes walk. The area is filled with restaurants and shops. The room is warm and noiseless. Bed is very comfortable.

• Standard Full

The rooms are very hot even when it’s freezing outside. We had to sleep with the airconditioner on a few nights.

The hotel is very central to Times Square and all the Broadway Shows

• Standard Room

Room was on the smaller side with limited space to open your suitcase. Be aware that the price on booking.com does not include all sorts of tax, so the price you're paying will be higher. I paid an extra 18 USD per night for a 95-dollar room.

The bed was comfy. Location was excellent with a pharmacy and a subway station right beside. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Room

Room size was alittle smaller than expected. Bed was very uncomfortable.

Location was excellent; very clean; close to Times' Square; alot of good restaurants. Staff was very helpful. Really enjoyed our time there.

• Standard Full

Being very very picky a extra lamp in our room would of been cool. This is not a complaint just an observation. There was literally nothing we didn’t like!

Friendly staff,very very helpful. Our room had fresh bedding and towels everyday and the shower was great

• Standard Full

Rooms were really very small. It was ok for a two night stay in which room is used for sleeping at night but still slightly uncomfortable for 2 people to stay. Though there is not much that can be done about it, it feels like you can get a bit more spacious room for the amount paid.

Location was very good, 5 min walk to Times Square and there were also nearby restaurants. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Reception area and rooms look clean and nice.

• Standard Room

Room was way too small we didn't expect that and it was very uncomfortable due to being small. The first night we had no hot water maintenance did resolve the issue but it was inconvenience.

We liked the location of the hotel it was close to many things able to walk to most attractions.

• Standard Room

Bathroom was not very clean. There was crusty stuff on the shower wall. Just looked like it hadn’t been properly cleaned in quite some time.

The staff was nice. Lobby was clean.

• Standard Full

A Bar in the hotel to relax in after a hectic day's sightseeing would have been good.

Initially, we were given a tiny room with very little space on the fifth floor, which would have been suitable for a single but certainly not a double room. However when I inquired at reception, we were immediately upgraded to a large double room on the ground floor, lots of space, big bed which made our 3 night stay very enjoyable. Another plus is having very good French and Italian Restaurants just across the road from the hotel and a lively "pub" serving food two doors down from the hotel. A short walk to Times Square in spite of the snow, made for a very enjoyable stay

• Standard Full

Our room was a bit cramped. It was uncomfortable for my husband to get out of bed. Bed nearly against the wall.

The hotel and room was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Great location !

I could hear all weird noises during the night that kept me awake despite having earplugs. It felt like someone was banging on pipes with a metal rod, or that they were having some work done on water pipes or something. The bathroom flush would suddenly start very loudly even though I hadn't use it in 2 hours. Of course the door was very thin so I could hear every single person walking by. I am not a light sleeper but I hadn't been able to sleep at all so if you are looking for a quiet place, avoid this one at all cost!

Location very close to subway and Times Sq

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

You can't get coffee in the hotel in the morning! Not in the room, not in the lobby. You have to walk to the corner deli, which might be charming later in the day but not before I've, well, had my coffee.

Very large room, by NYC standards, with comfy beds and a very nice bathroom. The windows opened, which I always appreciate. Fantastic location just a few blocks off Times Square, making it both convenient and relatively quiet. It's also across the street from several charming and untouristy restaurants - look down instead of up to find them!

• Standard Full

Place was dated, run down, bed was hard as a rock, ice was almost unobtainable, at one point I was told it would take an hour and no one ever showed. Room was small and stuffy, it was January and I had the air contlditioning on the entire time it was so hot in the room.

Staff was very friendly, faculty was clean, very central location

• Standard Room

The conditions were extremely poor, it was very cold in our room. When we asked for it to be fixed they told us they would check on the problem at 2:00 when we got back to the room at 5:00 it was still freezing. The heater did not work and we were told we would have to use a space heater. After several calls to the front desk we were finally transferred to another room at 6:00 nearly missing dinner reservations. In the second room we could not sleep at night due to the heater making a loud noise the entire night. When we told the front desk in the morning they told us we should have contacted someone at front desk. However at 3:00 am we were just trying to sleep and get the stay over with!

everything was great..

Beautiful hotel, close to restaurants and entertainment. Subway around the corner. Bed was comfortable. Room was spacious and very clean.

• Standard Full

The room is smaller than it looks in the images- though most places in New York are small, we picked this place as it looked a decent size. The bed was small and hard.

The location was fantastic, short walk to times square and has a subway station pretty much across the road. The staff were lovely and happy to help with anything they could.

I am used to NYC Hotels being small, but this was akin to a college single with an attached bathroom. Three things that make this destination a terrible stay. First, the bed was a flimsy mattress on a wooden box with no frame - very uncomfortable. Second, when the door was closed, there was a slight gap that would allow light and noise to stream into the room from the hallway. Third, the room was heated by radiator, and the pipes would bang every hour on the hour as the heat pumped into the room.

I chose the hotel due to location and price.

• Standard Room

The shower water took a while to heat up and for one night it was just lukewarm. It may have just been our room however.

It was comfortable and clean. Close by times square without being directly in it. I believe it to be a great place if you're not planning to stay in your room all day.

• Standard Full

The view could have been better,but you are hardly in the room when you're in New York!

Good value for money & staff were friendly & helpful. Great location too!

• Standard Room

The room and hallway was small and cramped. The room allocation was sub par.

The location was excellent for the activities I had planned to do with my partner.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Bed was not super comfy and the furnace was loud.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was cleaned daily and fresh linens were put out daily. Water was nice and hot.

• Standard Full

Room was too small. Only Four small and I mean small drawers to put your closing in. Bathroom two small had to remove toilet paper roll to sit on toilet. If I was Claustrophobic I wouldn’t of had to leave. No room with the king size bed to move around in the room. We will never stay at your hotel again. And have stated that on Facebook and Twitter

The King Size bed was nice.

The building is small, and so are the rooms. That didn't bother me, but if you are looking for spacious accommodations, look elsewhere.

Staff was excellent - very friendly and answered all of my questions. Room was clean and heating was excellent.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Everything the only thing it has it’s just location

Hotels had mold all over the restroom .. besides okable location .. everything it’s dusgusting.. outdated not worth it at all

Room was extremely cold so we had to have the AC on which made the room very dry. Not good when there was no tea/coffee facilities anywhere in the hotel apart from the lobby between 7am and 9am on a stand in paper cups. No lounge area for guests unless you want to sit about the lobby. There is a restaurant which is Japanese (not always open) but nowhere that you can have breakfast or a snack/hot drink. There is a fitness centre, but not everyone wants one of these and as there were no other guest facilities seems impractical to me. The lobby looks good but back of house and the actual guest rooms/area leave a lot to be desired, cold and uninviting. If you just want a room near Times square and shopping with no frills, then this is fine but expensive for just a room. The goose/duck down duvets are very thin and as the room was cold I had to have my heavy coat on the bed at night to keep warm. Bathroom was fully tiled but again freezing. This was a Xmas and New Year holiday for myself, son and daughter and was not a good experience. If you want to stay in this area look for somewhere slightly more expensive with better guest facilities as otherwise you will spend more money on eating and drinking outside in restaurants and cafes which in this area are not cheap.

Nothing really

• Standard Full

The room I booked was for 2 adults but the bed was so tiny, it would barely fit 2 kids. It was described as queen sized but it was smaller than an average double bed. They refused to refund or give us a larger room. My friend had to go stay in another hotel.

Location and staff

• Deluxe Room Two Twin Beds

It was very expensive - but I guess that every hotel in NYC is. Bathroom was very small there was barely any space to move.

Best Wi-Fi I've ever experienced in a hotel.

Difficult to regulate temperature in rooms. Extremely hot with hot water central heating system

Centrally located in theatre district. Friendly and helpful staff

The loud fat Americans next door were shouting and blasting the TV, and thicker or better-insulated walls might have prevented me hearing this. Also, one venetian blind on the window was broken and i mentioned this but nobody came to fix it. Hope it is fixed now.

Great location, comfy friendly lobby, and lots of good places to eat nearby, a short walk from Times Square. Good bed, room, shower and WiFi. Very clean.

• Standard Room

Our room was so small we could hardly get in with out bags. It was also on the west side of the hotel and was so loud with outside noise we couldn't sleep, they were very happy to move us and the second room was better

Location was good, walking distance to everything you need. Beds extremely firm which some might not like

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Standard Room

Environment was a bit tired looking and needed the decor refreshing. The carpets had seen better days ( but was clean). The bedroom was on the small side, not a major issue but my brother was staying nearby and got a luxury and spacious room for the same money that we paid. The shower room smelled a little of mildew which was evident on the tiles at the bottom of the shower.

Extremely helpful, courteous and friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble. The bed was very comfortable with very clean bedding that could be changed every day if you so wished. The bulb needed replacing in the lamp which was done straight away. Free WiFi was an added bonus and really easy to connect to.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Standard Room

I requested a renovated room on an upper floor and the staff/manger delivered on my request. The location was great, near the theaters and Times Square and only a 10 minute walk to the upper west-side and Columbus Circle.

• Standard Room

Heating system (loud) , very warm room. Large bathroom but bad design - towel rod over toilet ten feet away from sink! No room for toiletries around sink.

Good value, upgraded room, pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Standard Room

The location and the staff were very kind. Japanese restaurant were near by (Ippudo and Shimizu). Not only Japanese food but the Location was super close to Times Square. I think it is the best place to stay in Newyork, not too crowed as well so you get your own space.