Reviews of Westgate Historic Williamsburg Resort 3 stars

1324 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185, USA

#59 of 75 hotels in Williamsburg

6.1

• Studio Villa with Sofa Bed

The pull out sofa was horrid. The mattress was stained yellow in a certain area...yuck...gross. There was not a mattress cover just a sheet. The mattress was so old that you could feel the bars protruding underneath.

• Colonial King Guestroom

The pictures only show the main hotel, not the 4-unit motel area where I stayed. My door either didn't latch correctly or something sketchy happened, but it opened in the middle of the night. Thank goodness there was a chain, but would've preferred a deadbolt and swing latch because the chain is a joke. My area was far enough away from the main hotel that it was inconvenient to take advantage of amenities. There was mysterious creaking in the ceiling at night, which made me nervous that I was in some kind of voyeur motel. The front desk wasn't helpful about turning on heat until they sent maintenance out, who showed me you have to slide down the remote panel in order to access the heat mode. I would've preferred having a full closet more than the dresser.

The 4-unit motel area where I stayed was probably quieter than the main hotel location and felt more residential. I liked having a refrigerator and microwave. Being in walking distance of Dunkin Donuts, Chipotle and Food Lion was nice, as I didn't have a car. The hotel was located on the trolley route, which was the reason I chose it. Housekeeping did an alright job, although for my extended stay, I felt it was more straightening/wiping down than a full clean.

The fee for using wifi

That I was able to switch my room at check-in to an upper floor from the bottom level. Dishwasher issue was resolved as soon as I reported it.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Sofa Bed

Breakfast was not included, however they prepare breakfast every morning for "tours" people. Kids club room was always close, however they open kids play room for "tours" people. In short, it seems that normal guests are not as welcome as the "tour" people. The feeling is not good, I would not come back to this hotel. In addition: (i) I needed to complain to front desk because my room was not fully prepare after my firt night: bed was not done and bathroom towels not replaced. Cleaning staff come to the room and left the bed undone. I needed o claim again. (ii) internet is $10 per day. Most of the hotel nowadays don´t charge internet.

Location and room amenities

• Colonial King Guestroom

out building brick cottage, bathroom insanely cramped. smoke alarm went off low battery first night 3am*/ even though we had signed up for and paid for clean sheets and towels they were missing the first night. very disappointing, and bad impression.

location near richmond ave transport, easy to get into Colonial Park. Hotel staff responsive to issues when presented. discounted one night for documented trouble. always get names for mgrs to follow up

• Colonial King Guestroom

Our room had everything we could want/need. Very well decorated/furnished - nothing looked out of place. I could not stress how spotless the room was - it was absolutely immamaculate!!! (Even the shower head!) We were more than happy with our stay- from the convenient location to the comfort of the room and it's amenities, to the friendly staff. Highly recommend!

• Two Bedroom Villa with Sofa Bed

You all better get with the front desk people, such and Divine and Darius and the 2 other front desk girl. They were just right nasty and could not help me with my issues. And then when I ask to speak with the GM, they gave the run around the whole time we were there. I will never stay there again, and I will let my friends and family not to also, I was really disappointed and upset. But I am sooooooo glad that we didn't buy a Timeshare from westgate of Williamsburg. So if I was you I would definietely get with the front desk people because they are ruining it for your company and I hope this message get back to the Corporate because I really wanted to tell them myself, but I couldn't get any information from them.... Nasty, Nasty front desk people.

I liked everything except the Front desk people, They were nasty and a couple of disrespectful front desk assoicates. I will never stay there again and thank GOD that we didn't buy a Timeshare. I was so glad that we didn't buy.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite with Sofa Bed

The only issue I had was that I wish there were shutters that could close between the bathroom (like by the tub) and master bedroom. We enjoyed having the window there, but midnight trips to the bathroom would be less disturbing as well as more privacy for the person in the shower if there was a shutter there.

The bed was very comfortable and the rooms were spacious. My daughter loved the jacuzzi tub and being able to watch cartoons while she bathed. There was plenty of room and the kitchen was fully functional. We could easily prepare small meals. The suite was well furnished and very charming. We used the fireplace in the winter and the swimming pool in the summer. It is very centrally located and very easy to get to Busch gardens and Jamestown. It's nice to be able to wash clothes as well- less to pack!!! This will be where we stay every time we go to Williamsburg from now on.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Sofa Bed

The mattress was uncomfortable and needs to be replaced.

Quiet location..near stores and restaurants! No activity fees charged (so many timeshares charge fees!)

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Sofa Bed

To say the rooms were dated would be a gross understatement. Although the Westgate claims the rooms are meticulously decorated to reflect colonial charm, the décor seemed cheap and old. The parking lot was a bit sketchy at night and my wife didn't feel safe walking to and from our car by herself.

The staff was wonderful. Very kind and professional. The location was close to William and Mary and Colonial Williamsburg.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Two Bedroom Villa with Sofa Bed

They didn't provide free wifi. They invited us to a breakfast to buy in to the community...time share. We didn't go and it wasn't high pressure, but I didn't care for that.

The room was great. The staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Sofa Bed

Bedroom had a wall cut out straight into the bathroom so there was minimal privacy unless the other person went into the sitting room. I was traveling with a friend, so this was humorous!

Great location for walking around W&M and Colonial Williamsburg! 1 Bedroom suite was comfortable and clean.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

I have never been greeted so warmly! The staff are extremely upbeat and very positive! I stayed in the suite in room 101 and it was absolutely wonderful! It had a complete kitchen, washer and dryer , luxurious bathroom with a jacuzzi , two big screen TV's and a fireplace! A king bedroom was separate from the living/kitchen area. Suites are so very comfortable at this hotel! If you stay here, definitely book a suite. The location is just down the road from the Williamsburg outlets and a 20 minute walk straight down the street to the historic Colonial Williamsburg area. We just parked our car and walked to the Colonial taverns and tourist areas. The suite was very clean and decorated to reflect the traditional Williamsburg area. The living room had a pull out sofa bed in case you are traveling as a family.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

Door stuck and was hard to open. Didn't replace used cups or coffee. Clean

Beds were comfortable. Large room. Great location. Helpful staff. Parking convenient.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

Not how explained or pictured online, cleaning was spotty we didn't get towels unless we asked even tho the dirty towels were taken, the property shows 2 pools only one was open 50 person capacity for 300+ guests, no parking, our room was in an offsite area and was no bigger than a normal small bedroom, the dresser you couldn't open the drawers all the way it hit the bed, no breakfast and only one vending machine area, no ice, no towels at the pool, I could actually go on but that's enough honestly make sure you know what rooms your getting this seemed to be only time share owner friendly.

Great location, almost all of the staff was fantastic,

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

No ice machine.

Terrific bed. Lots of room. Darius and Divine at the front desk were friendly and remarkably helpful. We loved being in the bungalows rather than the towers which seemed much more congested and noisy. Very peaceful and private.

• Colonial Guestroom

The pool location, I am one who uses this time off to relax my mind and body and always spend time in the pool for that relaxation. However did not use the pool once because we felt that we should not have to drive to the main Westgate location to use the pool. Inconvenient

Cleaning Staff was very attentive to our needs, asking daily if we needed anything such as clean towels, coffee, ect....

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

never got my roomed cleaned after 3 nights of staying only trash was changed. sheets were NEVER changed and bed was NEVER made. Asked for a new iron and never got one.

front desk was nice.

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

The building we stayed in was off main premises down the road.Not well marked, no breakfast, ice machine, not a good value.

The beds were comfortable and room clean. The front desk personnel in the main lobby were very friendly and kind.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

The bungalows didn't have working phones, so we could not call the front desk at the main building. The TV did not work in one of our rooms - nor was it fixed during our stay and the toilet leaked in one of our rooms.

The beds were big and comfortable!

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

Bugs in Bathroom mold on shower curtain. No towels were dropped off for the third night. The partially renovated older "classic" motel style rooms in the Village. If your in the village your star rating should be maybe 2.5 star. It was like they did half a renovation. The Bathroom had not been touched and like a simple thing like the outlet cover plates were dirty covered with scum. I mean like outlet cover plates are 87 cents each.

Beds were comfortable. TV flat screen was good on COX cable with a good assortment of channels.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Being in your cottagec

Comfortable bed. Was disappointed about being in the cottage. Wanted a room in the hotel. Didn't realize that this is what i was booking.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Studio Villa with Sofa Bed

From beginning to end, our stay at Westgate was extremely disappointing. We had high hopes based on information, but staff was unresponsive to our concern and discomfort from a dog barking continuously day and night next door. Other hotel guests also expressed their irritation and concern at this, when they had hoped to relax and enjoy the resort. The pictures of the hotel are also a bit misleading and there were so many people on the grounds and pool, even at late hours, that it was difficult to relax or enjoy any of the amenities that were so appealing online. My husband and I were traveling with my parents, and these factors caused me to regret choosing this hotel for our stay. We had asked to be in touch with a manager, so that we could walk away with a positive experience, but this did not happen.

We really wanted to love this hotel and be able to recommend it to others. The location near Williamsburg is convenient.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Studio Villa with Sofa Bed

At first I put in a room that was not the one I booked. I had to switch rooms three times before they upgraded me to one that accommodated me and my family.

The room I ended up in was closer to the pool.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

I think it would be a nice touch to have cookies sent to the rooms not connected to the main facility. This is not a "not like" but just a suggestion for a nicer touch.

The staff was SO AMAZINGLY accommodating!! I was coordinating an event for 20 women. The staff treated us as if we were the only guests at the facility. They were courteous and knowledgeable, complimentary and kind. We will definitely return when we have another retreat! Well done!

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

It stunk. Everything felt wet, damp in the room. We sat on the bed and it felt damp, the sheets felt damp even though the bed had been made.At the end of the week when we got back home, I had to wash everything even clothes that we didn't wear because everything that came out of that room was damp. The shower drain was rusted.We bought a liner to go in the shower to cover over the rusty drain. We had to purchase a lot of extra things from the store so we could survive a week at that place. You had to kick the door to get it open and yank hard to get out of there . It was a pretty miserable stay. The first place they put us in was worse and the toilet seat was falling off and looked like it had been there for decades. It was all around terrible We would never stay there again. The pictures they put up were misleading when it came to the bathrooms.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Studio Villa with Sofa Bed

Was disappointed that the beds were not made each day, as this is something I've grown accustomed to in other hotels. While the staff was pleasant I believe that uniforms (Blazers or something like that) would have given the staff a much more professional appearance and help to identify them more easily. EI: Our concierge was in a everyday sundress.

The hotel was conveniently located for dining, shopping, and not too far from the historical district. You could easily hop on the interstate to visit nearby attractions. The pool was beautiful and kept very clean. There were quite a few outdoor activities available for the guests and their children for entertainment and play

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Two Bedroom Villa with Sofa Bed

I was informed the pool had towels available but they were all out and no one came to replace them.

I had booked a 2 bedroom it was given a 3 bedroom. The suite was very nice, updated and clean. It was quaint and charming. The staff was very friendly and responsive - my hairdryer wasn't working properly and I called and it was replaced within 5 minutes. We have been to Williamsburg a few times but this is by far our favorite place to stay. We won't stay anywhere else from now on. My daughter especially loved the jacuzzi tub in my bedroom and had a blast playing Marco Polo with other guests in the pool.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Colonial Grand King Guestroom

Mostly everything, the room we ended up with was not as expected. We were not part of the advertised resort! Apparently the main resort pictured was mostly for time shares not for hotel guests. The photos were misleading to say the least, our rooms were in a nearby recently acquired former motel! (this was not made clear at time of booking.) Very disappointed. Though the room was very spacious, it was run down and not clean( quite musty smelling). We paid for a resort experience with a reputable resort and instead got a rundown expensive motel!!!

the bed was kind of comfortable and the staff and management was mostly accommodating. Though we still ended up with the same disappointing room.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Colonial King Guestroom

When we arrived we were told the room we booked wasn't available due to a sink problem. They gave us a room with 2 double beds instead, which is ok. However the "room" turned out to be a cottage that smelled like a dank, moldy basement. I had to throw my body weight against he door 5 times just to get it open. The damp was so bad the door had warped and it was stuck closed. Once we were inside the room, the odor of mold and mildew was horrendous. Very inconvenient and frustrating! We had to find a different place to stay at 11 pm on a Friday in high tourist season - not easy to do.

The pool is gorgeous and so is the main building- unfortunately we didn't get to fully experience them because we were put next door in an old, run down and moldy cottage. They gave us our money back when I complained, which was nice.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Colonial King Guestroom

internet service out on and off for entire 4 days. Towel bar missing in bathroom Maid service did not come on Sunday a bug was found on the night stand dirt and debris outside front door on sidewalk

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Colonial King Guestroom

The room was in front of a dumpster TV did not work.Phone did not work Room was not appealing.Resort picture on website was not what we saw when arrived

The attendant was very friendly and approachable

• Studio Villa with Sofa Bed

This hotel was not what I expected. I wasn't able to sleep at all, there were little red mites crawling on the bed and also other brown bugs I was killing all night. I called for assistance and was told there was no front desk to speak with by security so, there was nothing he could do but leave a message. I told him I would be leaving this property as soon as possible (in the am) he said he would be leaving a message with Mr. Lee the manager. I called the front desk in the am to make sure he received my message the said the saw the message but Mr. Lee was making round on the property and would be calling me. I haven't heard from him yet. This was very disturbing to me.

There was a smile upon arrival.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

Room was a distance away from main lodge & a bit dusty upon arrival, musty smell until door open & A/C used awhile.

Separation of bathtub/toilet area & sink made it easy for 3 women travelers to get ready for the day. Free internet. Response of staff to our needs.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

We paid full price for the room instead of a time share tour and the room was not worth the price,air conditioning broke and we were told would have to wait to get another one once it was cleaned and if we were uncomfortable with the room we were in not to go back to it,took 2hours to get a clean room in 100 degree heat

The property was nice,pool was great

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

One Bed Villa: Broken partition door from bedroom to bathroom only shut halfway. Reported to front desk upon arrival in the room. Shoddy construction with the doors made it impossible to shut; kept our party of 4 adults forced to stay in the small den living room when anyone needed a shower. 95 degree weather, middle of July with children in our party where everyone needed a shower after each day out. Every day front staff said they would fix it...never happened. 4 days/nights living like this was miserable. Bathroom also was not cleaned properly. Took 30 min and Lysol spray to remove dirt and hair from the shower/commode/floor areas. My brother's King Colonial room was intolerable. Was never told it would be in the Cottages area. Separated from the other family in the main building, pool by 100 yards on an unlit path surrounded by dumpsters. The room was filled with a moldy smell so bad you couldn't breathe. There were actual weeds growing in the closet. Weeds!!! The front desk feigned surprise and laughed about the weeds and offered another room for him that was only slightly better. I wanted to leave, but the credit card had already been charged and I was afraid I couldn't find 2 rooms for 8 ppl on such short notice. There are many nicer hotels in this area I passed up to stay here bc of the high rating. David Siegel, owner of Westgate's, would do well to protect his brand and overhaul the management at this location.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

Location was great. The main building was nice but the cottages where we had our room were quite old. The beds were great but other furniture was quite old. The vanity under the sink was extremely old, very smelly when opened and had sitting leaked water inside it. There was also no hair dryer.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Colonial King Guestroom

Everything was dirty, it had a musty smell, Toilet was stained. Door stuck had to body slam it to open it. Short hair everywhere, it stuck to your feet & socks then ended up in your shoes.Empty bottles next to the nightstand. Bathroom window was screwed shut(fire hazard) Nail sticking out of vanity. Neighbors in next room running out of the room because raw sewage came up out of the toilet.If you plan on staying here call and verify you are not in a cottage. You will be sorry. We spent 2 hours at a laundromat cleaning a dissinfecting our luggage and clothes because EVERYTHING smelled musty.

Nothing, except checking out.

• Colonial Guestroom

Terrible accommodations. Old, musty smelling,dirty, No place to hang clothes,no waste basket., bathroom was horrendous. Would never recommend it to anyone.

• Colonial Guestroom

Our first room looked like an old motel with a very small room and very old disgusting bathroom. Our plumbing broke and we were moved to a suite which we appreciated very much.

Being moved to a suite After our plumbing wasn't working.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

All the comforts of home. Total luxury! Even though Booking.com totally screwed up my reservation....the staff came through and even gave me an upgrade!!!!

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

The bed was perfect, the cottage could have been lot cleaner outside, the corners could have been cleaner. I killed a lot of spiders and webs. Furniture outdated. I was disappointed in pictures, not what you got. No pool on property with cottages.

Heavily deodorized

Great staff and facilities

• Colonial King Guestroom

House keeping! My room was only cleaned twice, I had to go find ice and go to the front office for towels.

• Colonial King Guestroom

The time share sales pitch at check in.

Close to sites

• Colonial King Guestroom

The staff was very helpful, and resourceful.

• Colonial King Guestroom

They did not clean the room for the second night.

It was quiet. They put us in a 4 room building that was off the main hotel with no one next door.

• Colonial King Guestroom

very quiet neighbors were awesome kids had a great time in the nice pool

• Colonial King Guestroom

Loved the pool. They brought us afternoon treats.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Double Beds

We ere too far from the pool. They had no record of our booking when we checked in

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

Could not control the thermostat and the room was muggy at times. Our vehicle left their lot with 3 dents

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

No onsite restaurant

Staff was friendly and attentive

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

heat didn't work in first room. we moved ourselves(after unpacking) had to put on ac in second room. was very uncomfortable!

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Everything!

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Sofa Bed

A extra cost on my incidentals

The tub and the Bed was comply

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Sofa Bed

Dated room bathroom seperator missing and no amenaties in room

Was clean

• Colonial Guestroom

Bathroom not clean, esp top of tile surrounding shower. Pillows very flat 😕

Pillows were terrible

Beds were nice an firm

• Colonial Guestroom

Had been renovated but still needed work. Doors would not close easily. Room smelled musky. Air/heat not efficient.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

Sorry, I didn't eat in the dinning room.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Colonial King Guestroom

Rooms were not cleaned daily. Rooms smelled musty.

Rooms were large.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Studio Villa with Sofa Bed

Pool water too warm. Water pressure for tub in room was low.

Room was comfy and spacious. Nice to have kitchenette and laundry facilities.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

Checking in was a breeze . Grounds are kept clean . Room was just perfect .

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

Room was not clean -- And after booking through Booking.com we were asked to pay $111.00 more!!!

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Colonial King Guestroom

Received a complimentary upgraded room free of charge

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Nice and clean

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Colonial King Guestroom

Rooms need an update. Clean but look old.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

Parking

The space and cozy family atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Studio Villa with Sofa Bed

Original room we had, had a pull out bec supposedly for two children but was way too small

King size bed was comfortable

Great hotel!!!

• Colonial Guestroom with Two Queen Beds

The condition of the cottage was not good.

Location relative to W&M.

• Colonial Guestroom

Troom was not clean bed was not clean overall unhappy.

staff was nice.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Colonial King Guestroom

bed was comfortable pool was nice

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Colonial Guestroom

Terrible bathroom- sink leaked all over the floor. Customer service was not great

• Colonial Guestroom

The room smelled of ammonia! Very outdated and the "cottages" were placed in the ghetto!

I did not like anything about this hotel.

There are also 29 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.