Reviews of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter 4 stars

910 Broadway Circle, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#43 of 226 hotels in San Diego

Beds were nice, room was clean.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

$50 parking per night that isn't calculated into the price on booking.com is ridiculous. I now see it was buried a few pages down, but it should be broadcast right up front when you are booking. Because it was so expensive I have to assume that tip is included in that fee. San Diego also has to do something about their homeless problem. Open more shelters, pay for mental health assistance, or something. But we felt uncomfortable walking back to the hotel from a few blocks away. One homeless man in a wheelchair whom we gave some assistance warned our children (13 and 10) to stay close to us when walking because the streets are dangerous.

Beds were nice, room was clean. Location was solid except for the homeless issue that San Diego refuses to deal with. Right in the middle of everything, so could walk to a lot of places. Valets were amazing, friendly, and got our car quickly when called ahead.

The hotel was very good and in a great location - just a...
    • Traditional King Room

Whilst I didn’t have an issue with the room rates given the hotels location, charging $50 a day for parking was difficult to justify for guests of the hotel.

The hotel was very good and in a great location - just a matter of a few minutes walk to the Gaslamp district bars and restaurants. The hotel was comfortable and the staff were friendly. The pool and gym were good.

Made our stay in San Diego really perfect, no need for the car for most of it.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Was within walking distance to everything, with 2 kids it made life easy. Not the cheapest hotel in the area but in this case you pay for what you get. Service was spot on and the room was excellent. Was far enough from the Gaslamp Quarter sounds at night not to be bothered by noise. Very happy with the choice :)

The bed was so comfortable and the location was ideal.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

I did not like the whole parking situation. I understand that parking is an issue, but it was very expensive for valet and parking down the street was a little sketchy.

The bed was so comfortable and the location was ideal.

Short but enjoyable.
    • Traditional King Room

Really, the only negative we could find is the bathroom in the room. We hated that the door didn't have an actual knob or a lock. Not having a knob makes midnight restroom trips noisy and could wake people up. Not having a lock, means your kid might walk in on you and become traumatized.

Loved the location in the heart of Gas Lamp. Everyone was nice. Rooms were clean. Basically everything we would expect from a Westin Hotel.

Check out was at noon but we were bothered by house keeping...
    • Traditional King Room

Check out was at noon but we were bothered by house keeping before 10:00AM. They also wanted to change the lock on our door when we were still in the room.

The facilities were average - not bad, not great.
    • Traditional King Room

The cost of food was really high, and the variety quite limited for room service. 5 ravioli with sauce in a plate cost nearly $30 after tax and delivery fee. Didn't want a huge meal, but expected more.

The facilities were average - not bad, not great. A bit tired. I'd have expected more at the price.

Great hotel in great location, would stay again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

I didn’t call to ask, but I think should have been given Wi Fi info without having to ask for it. The daily rate to park for a hotel guest is terribly high. Guests are already paying to stay along with daily resort fee. The food in the restaurant was good but a little over priced.

The beds were super comfortable, the bedding had a nice weight to them. The location of the hotel was great. In walking distance to alot of places.

Very Good location, you can walk everywhere easily, Gaslamp...
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very Good location, you can walk everywhere easily, Gaslamp Quarter is around 10 minutes walk, nice view where you can see the harbor and the sunset, free internet, very comfortable beds. Valid service.

Didn't like hidden fees tacked on at checkout.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel was fine. What I did not like was that though I prepaid my room through Booking.com (low rate/no refund deal) I was charged a "destination fee" of nearly $25/day upon checking out. Not cool!

The price for parking was pretty outrageous.
    • Traditional King Room

The price for parking was pretty outrageous. Valet only and $50 a night. That's twice what it cost us for our car rental. There were other lots nearby that were more than half the price and let us self park.

Everything was perfect.
    • Traditional King Room

Room had a musty smell. Easy to fix

Everything was perfect. The location is close to the ocean, great restaurants and close the the theater. The staff was well trained. Very efficient.

Great place to stay and awesome location. Nice friendly staff and comfy clean rooms.
    • Traditional King Room

Had some issues with the Wi-Fi. Couldn't connect most of the time, and since that's part of the resort fees you have to pay, that was a let down. Thankfully the resort fee is much less than a lot of hotels.

Comfy bed, clean facilities, friendly staff, location is fantastic and close to a lot of bars, shops and restaurants

Great location, only OK accommodations
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I checked in, the front desk tried to upsell me for $10 to a room on the 11th floor, or for $20 I could get on the 15th with a "quieter" room. I chose not to take the bait and I felt like they were punishing me for doing so. For my first night, they gave me a room on the 6th floor. There was a rooftop party a few hundred feet from my room and it was loud all night long. The next morning when I took a shower, the tub didn't drain properly and there was water up to my ankles. Certainly not what I expected from a Westin. I informed the front desk staff of the problems the next morning via phone, and their response was to send a repairman to fix the drain. I went to breakfast and decided that I wanted a different room. I spoke to another staff member and he immediately moved me to a new room. The rooms are smallish, with full sized beds (instead of queen or king). Some channels on the TV didn't work. Although it's probably OK for business travel, I don't think I'd stay here again.

The hotel is in a great location in San Diego. The front desk staff was helpful, but it depended on who you talked to.

Unfortunately I know better next time I visit San Diego.
    • Traditional King Room

The parking. He told me it was $49 a night which I thought was too high. He recommended to go next door for $25 a night. When leaving the parking structure they charged me $80 !!! I left with a bad taste in my mouth for Westin.

The room and hotel is pretty much what I expected other than the parking.

Great location, lovely hotel with great staff.

I would have liked more info in the room or in the lobby about transportation options. We only found the free trolley on our second to last day and it's a great way to get around and save some money!

I liked the extra small sized pillow on the bed. Having a little cafe in the base of the hotel was great for a quick bite of breakfast. The bar staff were wonderful.

The room good. Staff not so good
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not able to find parking - for parking at the hotel - valet parking for over night was $49.00 - or park in the parking structure over night was the same price. Not one single staff knew where we can park - ask the valet people. Would not stay here agsin

Our room

• Traditional King Room

No notice that parking would be $49/night. Also was charged internet services without notice but front desk reversed charges after I said it was not disclosed on check-in

Great location. Nice property.

College send off with style and comfort.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent concierge service ...Tom is fantastic polite and very knowledgeable he made our dinner reservations to Greystone... wonderful dinner ...thank you Tom and Sara at Greystone....My Westin stay was wonderful.

Breakfast was very good.

All was good.

Breakfast was very good. Pool was clean and warm with a large shallow end good for small children. The staff was nice and efficient. The concierge, in particular, was helpful and very friendly. I was traveling with my grandchildren, ages 9 and 6. When we got home they told their parents that the concierge was the best part of the whole trip, meaning she won out over a city tour, the zoo, and the New Children's Museum!

Great location but pricy to my point of view
    • Traditional King Room

The location is great, a lot of places are in walking distance. Parking is expensive and you'll have to wait to get your car as there's a lot of guests at the hotel. They'll park it for you though. The gym area is ok, as well as swimming pool. The hot tub is small and is always busy. The king size bed was comfy and spacious. Bathroom mirrors are awesome! Late dining menu is available after 11pm which is a big plus! There's a cute cafe nearby that opens at 6am and offers delicious breakfast options.

A total rip off.

See above

This hotel charges 49.00 dollars per day to park at valet no standard parking. The hotel valet stands there looking at you as if they expect you to tip them which I always do unless I've already paid 49.00 dollars to park. At check out there is another charge called a "Resort Fee." I was told this was for the internet and 10.00 dollar meal credit that I didn't receive. They reversed the meal credit but I still had to pay for the resort fee. In my opinion this was a total rip off. Homeless people were asking for money outside while I was waiting at valet. The hot tub chemicals were so strong that my eyes burned for hours even though my hair didn't get wet. I will never book with them again and I will tell everyone to avoid this place. I wish you had a - four stars rating system.

Fun fun fun

The overpriced parking costs

Friendly staff and beautiful accommodations! The bed and pillows were the nicest I've ever had! I had the most amazing sleep.

Our room kept smelling like someone smoked in it after we...
    • Traditional King Room

Our room kept smelling like someone smoked in it after we would return. The front desk moved us to a different room without hesitation (going up a couple floors with even better view!)!

Whole family treated like royalty
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Valet is the only option for Parking it's $50 a day but they made it worth it. Valet staff was amazing.

Treated like royalty, kids loved the soft beds and all the pillows. Lots of outlets to plug in phones and iPads, also good size fridge to store kill for the baby.

Smooth check in (Mat at check-in was very helpful) I...
    • Traditional King Room

Smooth check in (Mat at check-in was very helpful) I informed him of my long drive from LA and I would like to receive a room as promptly as possible. He let me know that rooms with 2 beds vs a King would be faster and at that point anything was better than waiting till 3 pm to check in . I arrived at 10 am and I received a call that my room was ready at 10:30 am thank you to Mat for being so helpful. The bed was like a Cloud (soft and very comfy) , Restroom was very nice , I also liked that theirs a refrigerator in every room (great bonus Westin) . The Pizza and Wings from Pinzimini was to die for ( we were very satisfied with the outstanding customer service we received after a long day at Comic-Con, we had no plans to go out and get food elsewhere. All we wanted was fast reliable service and our food to be on point and the Westin met our expectations by 100%. The room being very spacious and a Beautiful city view. We will definitely book again when I am back in San Diego. thank you Westin and all your staff for the Warm hospitality. from check-in to Valet guys! everything was great! only thing I wish I could of taken better pictures of the room and view. I shared pictures of Petco Park (SD Padres) Seaport Village and USS Midway.

the breakfast food was good, but there was no variety same...
    • Traditional King Room

Although they had green program to clean rooms, they didn't clean my room on the day they were to clean, thus had to stay in a dirty room

the breakfast food was good, but there was no variety same food everyday & service/front staff was the best

Would definitely stay again. Prices were a lil high but was worth it.

Breakfast delivered to room in morning was early, not much selection, tasted ok but little on bland side.

The whole area was/ is clean, professional staff, no waits, great experience over all!

Fantastic hotel - highly recommended
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great hotel and great staff. The only hotel of nine that we stayed in on this trip where the valet loaded all the drinks holders in our car with fresh bottled water when we were leaving. Really went the extra mile.

Breakfast buffet was terrible, overpriced.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast buffet was terrible, overpriced. Food options were very poor. Service was subpar for this type of hotel. For breakfast we stood waiting to be seated in the restaurant entrance with no staff acknowledging us. After five minutes of not being seated we sat ourselves only to wait another five minutes before a server came by to acknowledge us. Then we were told that we needed to wait in the front to be seated, but that our waiter/waitress would be by. Unbelievable!

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

This was the worse hotel I have stayed at the pool area was so small and full every time we tried to go there. The point of this hotel was that we wanted to use the pool had we of know we would have went with another hotel. In addition there was roaches at the pool area a well and I was so disappointed. In addition to the roaches we went out to enjoy the weather out in front of the hotel and there were three roaches crawling on me it was so disgusting that you pay this much for a room and this is what you get. Another thing is that only valet park was available which was not told to me when booking this hotel. So therefore when we got there they told us we have to valet our car and the cost would be 49.00 a night which is ridiculous that you have no other options for parking. Just was very disappointed in this hotel all the way around and embarrassed to have taken my family there who never gets out much. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and booking.com should had advised us that there would be a fee for parking cause you have no choice but to pay valet in which booking would have known this prior to us making our reservation. Very disappointed with booking.com and Westin Hotel Gaslamp.

Staff were pleasant and accommodating.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was drab, everything beige colored and boring. I thought I would have seen more style from Westin. Felt like a Best Western.

Staff were pleasant and accommodating. Location is good. Room was comfortable.

A formerly wonderful place to stay
    • Traditional King Room

This is a small property and years ago the staff literally called guests by name and were incredibly friendly. This has changed and now there's a degree of impersonality consistent with lower level hotels. Food at the lobby bar wasn't very good.

The Gaslamp location is great! Close to fifth ave as well as Santa Fe depot.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Great place to stay

Parking is expensive.

Hotel is in a great location to get to all tourist attractions in the area. An added bonus is it is also within walking distance of many great restaurants and bars! Close to the theater too. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. They had wonderful recommendations for restaurants and local attractions. Beds were great and a large bathroom with plenty of space to put toiletries.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Loved the Westin

Paying for Wifi.

Property is conveniently located near Gaslamp. Walking distance to many bars and restaurants. Paying the upgrade fee of $20 was worth the view.

We found a few spiders in our room.
    • Traditional King Room

We found a few spiders in our room. Called to ask how much the deposit was, they told us there wasn't a deposit, when we went to check in they charged us extra saying it was for the deposit, the staff didn't seem very knowledgeable. While checking out, we asked about the extra charge and told them that we were told there wouldn't be a deposit fee, to which the concierge said "No way, that sucks" in the most sarcastic voice.

Great room and great people.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Daily parking price is a little high compared to what I'm used to in LA.

The employees were more than welcoming and amazing. From the moment we got there to the moment we left, we felt at home.

Enjoy the stay
    • King Room - Disability Access

After checking out from the hotel, I found out one night of my stay is missing in the receipt (as this is a work trip). I tried find the hotel email address online (very difficult)... anyway I finally wrote to someone who is responsible to organize an event (as this is the only email I can find)... still no reply and I am very much looking forward to be able to contact the hotel electronically for the missing receipt :(

Enjoy the stay

Very accessible to Gaslamp, shopping mall, and the seaside.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Front staff could have improved customer service during check in and out ie forgot to give me the key to room and didnt ask how my stay was.

Great breakfast buffet and excellent concierges Great location.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Location was perfect for night out to celebrate anniversary...
    • Traditional King Room

Room was relatively small but ok. Extra fees and charges were quite a surprise.

Location was perfect for night out to celebrate anniversary with my husband. Had a great evening out, walked back to the room and had great night's sleep in comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Great location and bar, not much else
    • Traditional King Room

Broken appliances in room, dusty and filthy, slow service to request items, missing essentials like robes and showering supplies.

Awesome location. Could have been a great hotel.

Quiet and convenient guest rooms, meeting rooms and restaurant!
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rain shower head in shower "leaked", got my hair wet when using the hand held shower, no shower caps provided

Staff was extra helpful and nice

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Cold hearted customer service - never stay with Westin again
    • Traditional King Room

Awful - ridiculously cold-hearted customer service. Don't stay here. I'm not allowing Westin hotels for travel within my sales force.

San Diego

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Comfortable stay
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Restaurant in premises was terible. I had to call for room service everysingle day otherwise they would not come. It was an annoyance. Provide very little cosmetics/soap we were 3 ppl and barely got supplies for one . We had to ho and buy our own. They were also very poir quality. Room service charge was herendous, and they charged twice! A 4$ fee and a 20 percent surchage.

Staff provided great service room was clean.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

My stay was great and very inviting....great location!
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was very bad.... the buffet is over priced for what it has to offer, at least the price for kids should be considered to change to less than adult. Not only was the buffet overpriced for what it had to offer, half the trays were empty for a long time and I couldn't order from menu because the kitchen staff wasn't adequate and the meal was going to take more than 40-45 min be cooked....

Staff were great, rooms were in great condition, beds were very comfortable....

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Great hotel great location
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Having to pay so much for parking. The wifi kept signing us off. Bathroom door didn't lock and not enough light in room

Beautiful property. Great location. Well kept clean and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Service was great.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Valet parking. It took over 45 minutes to retrieve my car with a delivery and a return and then redelivery because they were not where I was the first time they told me where I would be picking up the car. The round about was very chaotic when I was leaving. Too many cars left for valets to park to bring out cars to be picked up. When busy like that - valets should park and then other valets should pick up and deliver. Just an opinion.

Service was great. Checked out one day early without any issues

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Omg! May i have another?!
    • Traditional King Room

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that I had to go home

Rooms were beautiful and comfortable, and even small stores inside the hotel the staff were extremely nice- very welcoming.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Nice stay.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

No complaints. There was an incident with one of the guest next door where we stayed but the hotel staff resolved the issue.

Location of hotel was ideal and the staff is very helpful.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was over crowded with a conference. Room service virtually impossible. Nearly two hours later we were informed that what we had ordered was unavailable

Location. Near the waterfront and obviously in the Gaslight area.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Would stay there again
    • Traditional King Room

Key would not open door when I first arrived which was frustrating. Was always a bit touch and go as to whether the door would open. Also shower valve to switch water over from bath was not working properly and so the shower was weak. Reported it to front desk. However these things didn't spoil my stay overall.

Great location and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Perfectly comfortable, convenient and reliable for a business trip to San Diego.
    • Traditional King Room

Room/Bathroom felt a tad dated for a Westin. And the Gaslamp area of San Diego can get a wee bit sketchy in certain areas.

Conveniently located to both airport, downtown, and the entertainment options in the Gaslamp district.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Valletta parking was ridiculed charge even though I parked...

See above

Valletta parking was ridiculed charge even though I parked at speckles theater parking and showed them the receipt they tried to charge me for parking

Downtown location is GREAT and staff are very cooperative.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

1. The food for breakfast was not up to par. 2. Also, the food at the bar in the lobby was not good either. 3. Charge for Wi-FI in the room + daily charges for the pool, which we didn't use.

I liked the location. The beds and pillows were VERY comfortable......as was the room. The lobby was inviting and SERGIO was very helpful as were other employees.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

The room was clean and had enough space.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Breakfast buffet was awfully expensive. In the buffet, food was so limited in variation, but it costed about 29 dollars. It was my breakfast in the first morning. The next day, I changed my breakfast place.

The room was clean and had enough space. A bar on the lobby level was just comfortable. Service persons were kind and helpful.

Beautiful!
    • Traditional King Room

Was charged for extra night because of flight delays, due to weather, without refund or any perks.

Breakfast was incredible with an exeptionable staff and choices. Happy hours were equally entertaining.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Another nice Westin!

The room showed a bit of wear with a crack in the bathroom sink and bedspread looked worn. The other room's air conditioner Was loud when it was running.

The staff was great. We had adjoining rooms and the best thing we love is Westin's have the most comfortable beds. A happy stay there. Ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast. Was pretty good food. Would stay at that hotel again.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Decent hotel, pricey with all the extra charges and tax, smelled a bit stale, good location.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Check in grumpy first time, second OK. Hotel smelled of stale carpets on 10th floor. Buffet breakfast was the most expensive we had that week and the poorest quality (fruit was nice). Charging $20/day 'facilities fee' - to enable 'free internet', and $5/day voucher !!

Beds comfy. Air con good. Location good.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Great location, pleasant rooms.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Lobby is extremely cavernous and noisy. minimalist seating. Not very welcoming.

Professional and friendly staff! Very helpful with printing of the boarding passes for the morning flights. Large room with all the amenities. comfortable beds! Wonderful restaurant.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Great Stay (Keep track of your you booking information and proce listed including taxes and fees)

Everythingwas great except when I got there there was an issue with my reservation. They "worked it out. TheY put me on a higher floor in a double deluxe because they had no more king deluxe rooms. I didn't realize it was a higher price as they didn't tell me. I had to have booking come to my rescue because they were trying to over charge me for a price they listed on booking. I wouldn't have mind paying the higher price if I was told about it upfront and the attitude from the hotel manager just made it worse. Thank you to Alicia the booking representative that called the hotel and got everything situated! You have a customerfor life now! If you have a car you have to do valet, there is no choice to self park at the hotel. It was about $45/day. You also have to pay for Internet which is about $20/day but they give you $10/day food voucher to the hotel restaurant and coffee shop. Food is expensive in the hotel. The voucher brings it down to a "normal" price.

Perfect location for my needs. The bed was so darn comfortable. Busy in the lobby but quiet near my room. Room was clean. I opted out of house keeping to conserve energy. They give you a $5 dollar voucher or points for doing that.

Love San Diego (our first time visiting) and will come back.
    • King Room - Disability Access

gym was too much cardio and too little weight machines

great location, my daughter loved the breakfast buffet, best pancakes ever, nice staff.

Staff was great!!
    • King Room - Disability Access

Few choices on restaurants menu

Friendliness of the staff

It was a great experience!
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Felt like I was sleeping on a cloud.

Loved it, Close to good food. Homeless problem wasn't nice.
    • Traditional King Room

The prices were exorbitant.

The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in in a hotel.

The bed was so nice and our view!
    • Traditional King Room

The bed was so nice and our view!!!!

It was a nice relaxing trip.
    • Premium Deluxe Double Room

Easy access and everyone was friendly. Close to the Embarcadero and shopping. My teenagers enjoyed the gym.

Parking over charged

Parking over charged

Very nice = Great Location - Pleasant Staff
    • King Room - Disability Access

Location was super - for the theatre's near by.

The location was perfect for us.

Not a friendly staff.

The location was perfect for us.

Not bad experience

Transparency is out of service and they charge you without telling why plus lots of extra charges which booking.com did not inform us

5 star

5 star

Bed was excellent
    • Premium Deluxe King Room

Bed was excellent

Nice hotel, several chips on walls and molding even though I was in an SPG room
    • Premium Deluxe King Room

More light in the room 1633, perhaps a ceiling light

Won’t be coming back here, lesson learned!
    • Premium Deluxe Double Room

Bed is comfy, shower is nice and the staff is super friendly!!

facility fee? charged me too much