Reviews of The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center 4 stars

1400 M Street NW, Northwest, Washington, DC 20005, United States of America

#100 of 138 hotels in Washington

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Breakfast was really expensive, and they didn’t give you an option, the best option was the buffet, which was $28 per person. If you ordered separately, the coffee and juice, added up to $30 or more. Just doesn’t seem fair at $500 a night. Parking and WiFi was extra too.

Staff was very friendly. Confortable room and beds.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

I spent 3 hours at front desk, and keep contacting booking all because the hotel couldn’t find my prepaid reservation. It is absolutely an awful experience especially when I was exhausted and hungry.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

There was only a bar, but no Starbucks or small shop to buy snacks or drinks in the hotel. You had to leave the hotel and shop at the CVS if you needed anything. It did not have room service and only served breakfast in the mornings for a short period of time. The room was not very clean. The beds were very uncomfortable. The toilet seat broke twice and the maids never left any kleenex or t-paper, I constantly had to call the front deck for anything needed. There were 3 of us staying in the room and I had to call for extra towels since they only left enough for 2 people. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and I will not be staying at this location again while in DC.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Some of the staff were a tad rude (one woman from another country at check out/in in particular).

As with most Westin hotels, I enjoy the heavenly line of towels, mattress, and linens. They are always comfortable rooms tonreturn to after a long day.

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

I thought the restaurant advertised the $25 breakfast and we did not want to eat that much. I did not realize that we could get any thing else than the buffet until we checked out. This is poor advertising. We went elsewhere for breakfast each morning. The toilet paper could have been of best quality for the price we pay for the room.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

At $687 a night, the wi fi should be inclusive. This is not up to scratch with hotels in Europe, Australia, or even elsewhere in The USA. that is poor and greedy.

Comfortable room.

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

Our check in experience was not very pleasant having to go to three rooms. (No king bed w city view). City view is facing the side of a building!? In fact in one of them, the room was not cleaned. Finally they got it right and we stayed in interior atrium room which was lovely. Missed an indoor pool. Surprisingly, in the downstairs restaurant they were out of basic things and they supplied napkins from the Intercontinental Hotel?! At the same restaurant/bar, the closed too early in the evening.

Everything was spotless, clean and in excellent condition.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

There are no two-bed rooms for us. But the hotel provide roller bed for us. Single size. We feel sad because if we choose king bed directly, the price would be lower. So it is disappointing that we can not have the two-bed room as we wanted. And pay much more than the only king-bed room.

The bed is comfortable, the location is pretty convenient.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

When we arrived, we were told it would take 10 minutes for the valet to get our car. It took over one hour. I figured with a large group it would take longer but not that long. The poor valets were running around like crazy. I know they called for management's help but none arrived. We even observed one of the valet's hitting a car. management should have planned for a large number of people leaving all at once. I don't believe I should have to pay for parking when the wait was more than 6 times longer than expected.

Very clean and people very nice.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

No vending machines for drinks or snacks in the middle of the night.

The property was in a great location. I was in the city for a concert. The ambiance was nice and I loved the architecture of the inside of the hotel.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

It costs $59/night to park which wasn't made clear until we arrived. The internet is $15/day additional! It wasn't within walking distance of most of the things we wanted to do like it had seemed via other reviews. We spent a lot of time near the monuments and H street. We would stay in that area next time. It's LOUD. We were on the 11th floor and could hear people in the lobby until 4 in the morning! The breakfast was $28/person. I would much rather pay a little more per night and have parking/breakfast/internet all included within walking distance of the things we wanted to do.

The staff was absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! Everyone was so kind and lovely! The bed was comfortable and the place was really interesting inside.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

As a business traveler, I value a hotel that allows me to manage my day without effort. The resources I need are easily available. At this hotel, they expected a guest to pay for internet and as my son says, “Even HoJo gives you free wi-fi.” There was no coffee available in the lobby in the morning. These seem small nit picky items but they are important to me and should be seamless when staying at a hotel like a Westin. Lastly, the room we were in was a connecting room and the noise from our very reasonable neighbors carried into ours as if there was no door at all! My advice is stop worrying about being grand and luxurious and just make a guest’s stay as comfortable as being at home.

Pleasant environment and great location. The gym is well appointed and even has weight machines.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

I was in room 218 and could hear everything in the adjacent room. Unacceptable and needs to be addressed. I have never been able to hear so much in the next room even if lower quality hotels.

Staff were great.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

I requested an early check in for 10am but they would not allow check in until after 12pm. The staff did not communicate well when needing luggage brought to the room when room was finally ready. Staff not that friendly or helpful.

Nice room and hotel. Great bar and hotel restaurant.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Small and dark rooms facing inside, ie no external light. We did change rooms thanks to the porter who insisted to his Manager. Breakfast in a dreary place with waiter giving us a free hot chocolate and presenting us with a Trip Advisor card and asking us to leave him a 5 star review. Tried to insist upon paying for the hot chcolate but to no avail.

Liked location (wonderful); comfy beds. Wonderful porter who helped us change rooms upon arrival, helpful concierge and helpful check-in and check-out staff (apparently no Starwood points if you book through Booking.com but they gave them as I was not aware of this). Very kind. Liked the Starbucks in reception.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

This is a nice hotel which is conveniently located near great restaurants. My only comment is that Sunday brunch closes at 12 pm, which I consider very early. Otherwise, the hotel was well maintained and the staff helpful.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Hotel was disappointing, not like other Westins I've stayed in. The air vent blew on my face while lying on the bed, preventing me from getting a good sleep. The thermostat didn't allow me to get the room warm enough. And oddly, the only phone in the room was on the desk, which made it impossible to answer the wake-up call w/o getting out of bed and walking across the room instead of answering it in bed. Will not return here.

Location in DC was ok.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

This hotel exceeded our expectations, the service was exceptional, and they also serve Starbucks coffee in the rooms and in thier restaurant. It's close to all the tourists attractions, we walked to everywhere.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

The stay was in expensive, but the wifi was not free, the parking was expensive, so it added up to be the same as all other hotels, which was disappointing. The coffee machine in the hotel room was not clean and I gave up drinking coffee provided to the room.

Location was good. The hotel was close to restaurants and bars.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

View was of trash dumpster area. I am an SPG member and they wanted me to accept charges for WiFi and trust their word they would refund it at the end of my stay rather then giving me a login code. Breakfast staff was very rude. Simple things were complicated to accomplish. Parking was impossible. Either park overnight in a shady looking independent overnight lot that closes at 7pm and over the weekend or pay $60 for overnight valet. Other comparable hotels charges $35 for the same service.

White House was a short walk from hotel. Concierge was very helpful.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

I booked a traditional view room but was given a room without view, a room facing inside. They kept saying I booked a traditional room and just ignoring the "view" part and I was told my "special request" was subject to availability.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Breakfast buffet was too expensive so we ate elsewhere

Beautiful facility, great food in the lobby restaurant, comfy bed, all around great experience, close proximity to attractions

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Great, friendly staff. Always saying hello and goodbye with a smile on their faces, getting doors, and answering any question we had. I felt very taken care of. I would definitely stay here again or recommend to a friend or family member.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

The staff didn’t seem friendly at all, we ordered for a pizza since we arrived pretty late and we mentioned that we would pick the order up from the restaurant to avoid room service taxes which is nearly 20 percent. We were advised that a staff would call us once the order is ready, After 30 mins we had one of the staffs knocking on the door saying that no one is answered the phone and hence he had come to deliver we ended up paying like 30 bucks for a 7 inch pizza. I really didn’t mind paying that money but they could have been honest since the phone was working all fine and no one called. Btw the WiFi in the hotel is not complimentary, We happened to demand continuously for two days and the front desk happened to give us 24hr access to internet.

The room was extremely clean and comfortable. Like most rooms in DC area, Westin too had spacious rooms and large hallways.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Extremely expensive food and drink. Valet parking is a pain because you don’t have access to your vehicle. You have to request it whenever you need something and therefore more tipping

Nice staff

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

bar and restaurant was too expensive for the quality of drink and food (particularly food).

staff were friendly. nice comfortable room. nice quality toilettes.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Had to switch rooms because the room wouldnt heat. Had to pay an incidental fee of $100 for charges to the room and parking but we didnt even use the parking. Breakfast is $28/pp

Room was clean. Gym was nice

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Check in took a little longer than usual because it was late and there were very few staff

I loved the location, the friendly and obliging staff, the modern room and the fact that I was able to get a late checkout.

• Studio Suite

The breakfast was only fair . Some of the hot items were cold for $26/person this is not acceptable. We were unable to get a soda after the dining area /bar was closed. It was suggested we walk to the CVS ! For $597 /night this was not acceptable as well

Valet was pretty high

The service was wonderful, we were evacuating from Florida and the Westin both in Orlando and D.C. were phenomenal. They took great care of us

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Two members of the front desk when checking in were rude. One spoke very softly and when we asked politely "excuse me what was that" she rolled her eyes and replied with attitude. The other member didn't say anything but had facial gestures appearing annoyed. Not one smile from front desk upon check in. Valet staff and housekeeping was the nicest. You would expect the front desk to be pleasant.

Hotel was centrally located. Clean rooms. Comfortable beds. No outside noise.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

When checking in the lady checking us in was very rude and treated us like we where beneath here. I looked for her name tag but she was not wearing one for me to grab her name. The room was so loud and noisy since our room looked over the atrium. We asked for an outside view but was given a room looking into the hotel.. its very noisy and very loud and hard to sleep in this hotel if you are a light sleeper. They play loud music and there is a bar/restaurant below. We had a terrible time sleeping here and could not wait to check out and head home to our bed to get sleep. The bed itself was okay but the pillows we had where so old and beaten up they where terrible. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone.

The location is great. Pretty easy walking distance to most attractions if your a walker. The first morning we where here it was raining and we did not have an umbrella and the hotel was nice enough to loan us two for the day. Very nice.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Many of the rooms (including ours) look towards other hotel room. The roooms across are very close by and here is no privacy. We kept the blackout shades pulled for the entirety of our stay there (4 days).

Room was very clean.

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

I was upset because the price I was quoted when making reservations was $398 and when I got to the property I was charged $432. The problem started when I couldn't put my credit card information in when I was booking room with booking.com.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Overpriced and they nickel and dimed for everything. Overnight parking was $60/night. WiFi was $40 for the weekend. No welcoming anything. No free breakfast.

Nothing special about the double room to comment on.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Had to wait 40 min to pick up my car from the vale and nobody seams to know what they doing or care ... it was really bad that 3 people can't figure who have the keys

Perfect location, very clean hotel The front desk person Alexander from Serbia was amazing ! Great hospitality skills, excellent customer service ! Way to go!!!

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Not enough affordable restaurants. Wish there was a microwave.

Very convenient to the museum we were visiting just a 20 minute walk. Staff very friendly & helpful.

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Room was dark, no outside view. Not enough water for two people. One bottle in the room at arrival, but not replenished the second day. Shower water pressure was very weak.

CleAnliness, comfortable bed, very helpful and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Initially was difficult to find the reservation fest to register. Needed to take a taxi for our family dinner. We were staying only one night.

CVS was within walking distance. Taxi was close. Bed comfortable. Staff accommodating.

As above

When we checked in, our room was not as we had booked. So after complaining we were moved to another room, and offered a bottle of wine for the inconvenience. The bottle of wine was never received.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

The staff was excellent. Forgot my Starbucks travel coffee mug when checking in . They had it for me when I checked out. Had an issue with the toilet and they were there immediately. The entire staff was helpful and professional.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

Paying for internet!? Really, this is the 20th century.

Good location for a visit to D.C. The beds and bedding were very nice and comfortable. The staff was friendly and welcoming.

• Studio Suite

Room had a musty smell and this suite was like being in a long closet one window at the very end. Couch looked like it seen its better days. Light burned out on dresser. Just didn't fill like a $500 an night room.

Staff was friendly and tried to be helpful with the room situation.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

I hated that we got an adjoining room. I couldn't sleep the first night because the people next to us were so loud. I could hear every word they said. I disliked how they charged my credit card, which is $100 at a time.

I liked that me and my fiance could grab a drink down in the lobby. I also liked that we could text the valet to get our car.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

the breakfast omelette was like rubber/ done twice but was very disappointed

i love the bed and bedding. very comfy. i go out of my way to find a Westin

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Traditional Room - Two Double Beds

No free wifi. Toilet seat came loose

They let us check in early which was magic after a horrible all night train trip from Boston. Wife and the kids had a nap to charge their batteries. It was easy to get to and from and great location and the room was the quiet and dark so everyone had great sleeps (even during the day).

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

I prepaid for Wi-Fi and it was not available when I got to the hotel. When I provided a copy of my reservation from booking.com I still was told to charge it to my room. I was told that I would not be charged and I was. When you come to valet you car there is no sign that says valet is 59.00 dollars a night. Individuals should know all fees up front and not when they are checking out.

The fact a restaurant and bar was in the hotel.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

The bed was very comfortable and the staff at check in was friendly and accommodating. I had a late flight out of the city and was easily able to push back my check out time.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

The room was freezing and the thermostat kept readjusting to 65. The room was tiny.

Location is central but is confusing for uber drivers given right off Thomas Circle.

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

The breakfast food was terrible. The buffet food was cold and dried out, almost everything, so I ordered a waffle, and it had no heat to it, none. My husband's eggs and bacon were cold. It was very expensive and poor quality. Our waiter was nice but the service was very slow and we had to track down someone to pay. $60! We should have asked for a free breakfast as we ate something within the hour since we were hungry.

The staff was very friendly, knowledgable, especially the concierge services. Our house- keeper was very nice and helpful. Beautiful hotel, nice location, restaurants in walking distance. I enjoyed the in-room Starbucks coffee. Thanks.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Studio Suite

Paying for WiFi when you had to pay $650 a night. Insane not to add free Wifi. Would have expected more for the amount paid.

Location and friendly staff

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

Everything was fine. I have nothing to complain about.

I had a problem at check in with both my ID and credit card. The staff handled it professionally and solved the problem in a timely fashion.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

Gave me a run around switching rooms for diff times and didn't alter rate even tho I didn't have the room I requested the first night

Staff working hard to fix mistake

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

I can't say anything bad I had a very good experience with the Westin.

The staff was excellent. When we arrived the Westin did not have our reservation from booking.com. They accommodated us with a reservation at the same price we booked with booking.com. The buffet breakfast in the morning was fresh and delicious!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

The room was generally chill/cold. I raised the temperature but didn't really work. They were missing room slippers and shower gowns.

Service was nice.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Staff was friendly & completed our requests in a timely fashion, I was not happy that our room was not cleaned our last night there, but they did so after we called, but it was 7:00 at night

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

It was very inconvenient that there wasn't a microwave in the room even though there was a refrigerator.

I appreciated the hotel's age policy which allows you to book a room as long as your over the age of 18. Especially considering the fact that many hotels in the DC area have a minimum age policy of 21.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

The room was newly renovated, quiet, and the bed was comfortable without being too soft. The complimentary ice cream when it was hot outside was a nice touch.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

It's not a deal breaker at all, but the price for parking is a little steep. On my last stay here, it was around 30$...this time is was 59$! (Just parked on the street, and all was well)

A+++

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

-Parking was $100 for one night after taxes -Breakfast wasn't included. ($25 per person if you wanted it) -Both of those were said to be part of the hotel stay and were not. -Metro was 3 blocks away which seems far when it's in the high 90s plus humidity.

+The bed was super comfortable and not squeaky. +Dual shower head was nice. +Point Chaud was an incredible restaurant nearby with amazing crepes (Even better than a lot in Paris).

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

Very expensive for food and drinks - one particular member of staff was rude and unhelpful in the bar when my son was ignored by him. Spoilt our stay and wish I had complained at the time.

Good location and excellent facilities.Kevin, the concierge was extremely helpful to us. All other staff (less one) were polite and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

Valet service. My son in law informed me that valet attendant aggressively opened his car door causing his cell phone to fall out of his car hitting the ground which resulted in his phone cover breaking!

The bed was average

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

Only thing missing was a pool which would have been great to come back to in the hot Washington weather.

Easy walking distance to Metro (subway), White House and major monuments and museums. Could get to Nationals Park in 20 minutes with only one line change. Concierge services were excellent, friendly and helpful. Staff was always pleasant and helpful. Try Lincoln restaurant around the corner for a great lunch.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

Did not like the registration and staff at front entry. Not friendly at all. The parking staff was very accommodating but too expensive .

The room was clean but it was alittle small for the money.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

When I booked I made the reservation for 5 people. I called Westin eight weeks before to confirm My reservation. It was confirmed by a young lady whom answered the phone. When we arrived we found the rooms could only accommodate four people. I was very disappointed due to the fact the person at the Westin main desk confirmed the five people request. I was disappointed, these reservations were made well advance and confirmed. Apparently the "special request", 5 people required a second verification by the hotel which was not know by the person whom answered the phone at Westin. Hotel itself, location and food were great. They did give us a comp breakfast for their error. I have three children under 16 and separate rooms for us has never been and is not an option.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

It's a business style hotel, not ideal for kids, rooms are small. Staff not flexible in requesting an extra mattress for our 1yr old.

Location is excellent, walking distance to most tourist attractions.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

The staff was disinterested in the guests, not at all helpful, and barely polite. My room overlooked the lobby/atrium, which was very weird. It also meant that I had to keep the blinds closed at all times for privacy, so the room was VERY dark. No natural light at all. It was a decent enough hotel, but not great. I would say if I were deciding between this place, and another for a few more dollars, I would pay more for someplace else.

It was very clean, the bathroom was great, the bed was comfortable. Good location, easy to walk to monuments, museums, and multiple Metro lines.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

The price of the breakfast buffet - I was charged $28.00 before tax - I am a petite lady and there is no way I can eat $28.00 of food - nor could my husband (not petite) - not only that - but the menu items were very high as well- So - I ate at a different hotel - the one where our meetings were... much more reasonable - however - I do like Westin Hotel more in every other way

I liked every thing except .... the above

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

extortionate charges for internet in the room and overly expensive breakfasts

stylish, well equipped, spotlessly clean

• City View Room 2 Double Beds

Breakfast was really expensive.

The beds were really comfortable, slept really good. Nice, spacious rooms.

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

They were very rude to me and my fiancé! They tried to charge me twice for one night smh never again!!!!

All good

Experience overall was quality

No free wifi

No wifi. No shower in gym Noises from sourrounding rooms Expensive

Room was clean

• Traditional View Room- 1 King Bed

AC didn’t work, room was too warm, no free wifi in the rooms

Very nice staff, helpfull and welcoming!