Reviews of Wingate by Wyndham Charleston Airport Coliseum 3 stars

4701 Saul White Blvd, North Charleston, SC 29418-7923, USA

#30 of 46 hotels in North Charleston

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

We will definitely stay again!!!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Maybe a bathtub instead of only a shower and paint was peeling fron the walls in the hallways!!!!

We took our 4 year old grandson and when we walked into the room, he was pleased and excited about the design of the room!!! I concurred!!!! Excellence!!! Bed slept very comfortably!!!!

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Probably will stay elsewhere next time.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the fact that the clerk at the front desk tried to charge me more than my reservation was for. I booked through booking.com and my rate was less, but she was trying to charge me more. The waffle makers weren't working the second morning, and that was the part of breakfast that most people stand in line for.

The bed was comfy

A comfy bed & gréât shower
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel is not new and the decoration is not ‘pretty’ but it is clean and well maintained

Arriving very late in Charleston after a long journey, I was ready for a comfy bed and good nights sleep. The wyngate did not disappoint. The bed was comfortable and the sheets new and fresh. The bathroom had a good stock of good towels and the shower was great! The room was spacious & quiet. The staff were cheerful and friendly - I felt very welcome. A shutter transported me to and from the airport driver for free. The breakfast was interesting - coffee, pastries, waffles - Plentiful tho certainly not organic!!

Rooms were newly renovated, the king bed was awesome!

The housekeeping staff were a little less friendly, and kind of all over the place (elevators/hallways). Some would try to be courteous about it, but most weren't. Breakfast could have been better, the eggs were all gone and the attendant didn't refill. The shower was still old school, but not a big deal

Rooms were newly renovated, the king bed was awesome! The staff at check in were great and very helpful/friendly. Lobby was still being renovated and they mentioned that, and apologized for the inconvenience. Gave me a cookie too! ;-)

Had a great time.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not enough pool furniture. And what was there was chained so you couldn't move chairs together if you had more people.

Breakfast was amazing. Hotel mgr personally came to our room for issue with tv..and moved us to room next door when prob couldn't be easily fixed.he was amazing

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Wonderful

I forget that gentleman's name, but my girlfriend and I had an emergency and we left after one day instead of our two day retreat. He was very helpful and I was able to get a refund for the second day that wasn't used. We will be back so that we can truly enjoy our full stay. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Stay was good.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was a nice hotel. However, not really that spacious for a family of 4. But beds were comfortable, clean, and neat. Had trouble with door not closing when you left out of room. Had to pull it really hard to make sure.

Would stay qgain...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was a bit smaller than imagined... I expected small based on reviews, however, I didn't expect my legs to rub the bed when passing by the tv stand...

It was very clean and checking in and out was very simple.

Ok ...

The breakfast was slack. Ran out certain things. Some of the staff was unprofessional talking about one staff member with another. Belittling that staff member at the same time. Housekeeping waking you up before check out time.

The room was nice . The bed was comfy. Nice restrooms...

It was clean the breakfast was tasty that location near the...

The curtains were broken so I had to get the throw cover on the bed and rig something up to the window for privacy also the parking I had to park across the street because there were no more parts available and I feel they need a bigger breakfast area for guests

It was clean the breakfast was tasty that location near the outlets nice staff

Could have been better

The parking on the weekend was horrible. Front desk said due to some renovations some of the spots were occupied by their equipment and my only option was to park on the street. Renovations are an acceptable excuse, there were several vehicles in the lot without a pass from the hotel. If passes are issued they should be enforced or what is the point. Also, there was a huge birthday party being held in the lobby around 9pm. This is not a convention center an is not a place to host a party and probably why I had to park in the street. I was on the second floor above the lobby and was able to hear the party sing happy birthday.

Proximity to interstate and the continental breakfast was good.

Friendly and Comfy
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Toliet sear didn't fit. Pillows were small square pillows and too soft.

Loved the thick comforter. Decorations pretty. Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was amazing.

Bad area to stay. Unsafe location. Drugs attics everywhere

Location. It’s In a crime ridden area. Oppertunitst’s wandering around looking for anything they can get from YOU!

There are 3 or 4 hotels close by, there are people wandering around this area asking for money, trying to sell me drugs & offered me a prostitute. Very unsafe area. Crime ridden. Stay somewhere else..

Staff was friendly and very helpful
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Rooms are still being remodeled but that ones that are “done” still seem to need work done to them. The shower door in my room literally came off the track. One day our room didn’t get serviced.

Staff was friendly and very helpful

It was wonderful, we will stay here again when in the area.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

A bit overpriced for the size of room. That we were there during renovations. (no fault of the hotel at all)

We were very impressed by all the staff and the Manager. They were extremely helpful, personable, professional and very attentive. Everyone made us laugh or smile and feel very welcome. You could tell that they really care about their job and where they work.

Don’t think I’ll choose this hotel again.

Made three trips to front desk because room key wouldn’t work. Bathroom had no toilet paper. Toilet was not working properly. Tv reception was awful! Over half the channels didn’t work or faded out. Breakfast area wasn’t kept clean. At 8:30 Am on Sunday morning most of the items where out. Waffle maker didn’t work.

Rooms and facilities seemed to have been renovated

I liked the free shuttle, the location, and the free...

It would be great if the free shuttle also picked up guests from the train station. The train station is about one mile away. This is well within the tree mile radius of the free shuttle. The Bestwestern Plus Hotel is farther away from the train station, however, their free shuttle goes to the train station.

I liked the free shuttle, the location, and the free breakfast.

Very comfey. But VERY loud!

Noises!

The room was by the desk and it was VERY loud. Kept hearing doors slam and other noises. Also they started a lift outside of our room at 8am on a Sunday for someone to paint the building. It beeped very loudly right by our window.

Enjoyable and would stay here again.

Ice machine on 1st floor was out of order and had to go to 2nd floor to get ice.

The room was nicely decorated and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. The staff were very friendly.

price is reasonable

The breakfast could have a few more items like more fruit, bread and cereal. The coffee was good .

We thought the beds were very comfy. We know in advance that the hotel was going threw renovations. But everything was good.

Hotel is under renovation and I didn't know that.
    • Double Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Hotel is under renovation and I didn't know that. There was paint splatter on the bathroom floor, light switch cover was missing, light bulbs were dirty, sheetrock dust on the desk.

Terrible!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was a "quadruple" room. Thank God it wasn't any smaller. There was no in room fridge or microwave. The closet had enough room for one and the was one medium size three drawer chest. The remote didn't work and neither did the "brand new" A.C. we sweated through one night as we had a later check in. The A.C. was reported at 7:30 AM and no one arrived to check it until about 4 PM. We asked for another room and were told the hotel was sold out (even though several rooms on our floor were being cleaned at 5 PM). We asked for a refund for the second night and were denied. So, after a full day of work on a half nights sleep, we drove home. We didn't appreciate the response we (did not) received from our request, then complaint, about the room. We will not be back, and I'll personally insure that everyone I know is warned.

Check in was easy.

We appreciate the comfort and price given that this was an "emergency" stay.

No one answered the phone (3 tries) so we couldn't get the free shuttle from the airport; had to pay a taxi $21 for the service. Also, the shower door fell off its tracks and we were unable to get it back on.

The gentleman at the front desk in the morning of April 17 was very nice and helpful; printed my boarding passes after problems with the guest printer. The bed was very comfortable.

Could have been better if they were not remodeling and some of the staff knew how to do their jobs.

One of the staff members cancelled our room after we wanted to switch to a cleanier room. Other staff members of the hotel thought our new room was empty and had no record of us staying there. We ended up finding out the staff member cancelled our entire stay instead of switching our room number.

The bed was nice and fluffy

Good

Stay would have better in hotel not doing renovations . Lobby area dirty , parking limited. If not for construction would have rated hotel higher

Clean room and quiet - friendly staff

It was great. We would stay again if needed.
    • Double Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Bathtub drained real slow. We let the front desk know and they said they would report it to maintenance.

Room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the staff were great. The breakfast was good and had a variety of choices to choose from. Convenient location to the freeway.

We loved it
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Didn’t like that when we got to the hotel we couldn’t check in until after 3:10 so we had to wait a while then when we where ready to check in the guy at the front desk stated they didn’t have any rooms available and I was like no we already booked it so he had to go back and look so it took longer. The pool was open but it was April it was a little chilly so I understand why. (Maybe they can put on the website when the pool will be open for the visitors)

I like the staff they where we’re really sweet.

Not wotrh the price.

The hotel it didn't appear to be managed very well. Laundry carts were parked in the hallway during the day and night, limiting access. I can't believe the fire marshal would approve such practices. Also, the toilet would not flush properly in addition the seat was loose. Different colors of paint was on the bathroom door frame. The hotel was undergoing remodeling, but it didn't appear that this room had a punch list run on it.

Staff was friendly and breakfast was good.

Yuck
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Closeness to airport and day shift staff

This place was the worse, the shuttle smelt of MJ, it was late and had to call for the shuttle which hadn’t left the hotel. The night shift check in guy was not friendly almost rude. The room I was scared of, I checked for bed bugs(none) (I still was to scare to put anything on the door)but there was washed stains on pillows and comforters. The carpet outside the room was never vacuumed in two days. Same small trash on the floor. I showed photos to manager and explained about shuttle driver and they need to drug test. if we had, had an accident I would have had a law suite against Wyndham. We were comped first night and the room was cleaned but the same comforter and pillows remained on the bed. We have stay at several Wyndhams in the past but this definitely will make me second think Wyndham

Lover the location, but the hotel wasn't up to standard for the money spent.

Wasn't notify of renovation prior to booking the room.,the stay was unpleasant because of the renovation, room wasn't complete

The staff.very helpful,

Poor
    • Deluxe Double Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

The picture from internet was not the room I received they was renovated and I moved 3 different times cause of different things going on in room Mr happy

Great location, but would have been better if room was more quiet!
    • Deluxe Double Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

The noise in the hallway woke me up at 1:30 a.m. and again at 3:30 a.m. My room was on the ground floor near the desk. I would stay here again but request a room in a different location.

The staff was VERY friendly - AND the shuttle drivers were both (coming and going) not only friendly, but helpful - loading bags into my car on my return!!! REALLY super nice!

as advertised

Room wasn't ready but we did not have to wait long. The room we were assigned did not have the bed made so we made it. The staff was apologetic and we did not consider that to be a problem.

Disappointing. This was not a "deluxe double".
    • Deluxe Double Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Our room did not even have toilet paper nor kleenex. There was no refrigerator nor suitcase stands. This was disappointing. Booking.com advertised it as a "Deluxe Double" room. There was nothing deluxe about it.

I will never stay here again
    • Deluxe Double Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

The tv didn’t work The bed was small The tv didn’t work My room was connected to another room and the door wasn’t locked. We didn’t have a trash can

Nice people. Nice room, good location and overall good experience. Will be even nicer after renovati
    • Double Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Property undergoing renovation but rooms available very nice, great mattress, above average breakfast and accommodating staff. Very close to airport and shuttle available

This could have ruined my trip but I put up with it, this time, no more Wingates!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Lighting in the parking lot very dark. Hallways & elevators were dirty with construction material. Had a very strong paint smell. Two lights in my room didn't work. Locked out of the room because staff thought I had checked out, so the room was not serviced (bed not made- no clean towels) had to get towels from front desk.

The bed was comfortable. Towels were very good quality. My room was clean as was the bathroom.

It was close to get to many of the attraction I wanted to go...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was close to get to many of the attraction I wanted to go to. Easy access to the freeway. Eventhough theirs construction going on....is peaceful and quiet.

I EXTENDED MY STAY BY 1 NIGHT AND WAS NOT ABLE TO GET A...
    • Non-Smoking Room-One Double Bed

I EXTENDED MY STAY BY 1 NIGHT AND WAS NOT ABLE TO GET A RECIEPT FOR EITHER NIGHT SINCE I BOOKED THROUGH BOOKING.COM. NOT SURE HOW I WILL BE REIMBURSED BY MY COMPANY WITHOUT A RECIEPT.

Comfortable room
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

We had problems with the wifi the entire time. The room was fine, but we could not connect to social media with the free wifi. It would forbid all pages with certain security protocols. We probably could have gotten this problem solved, but when you are traveling the last thing you want to do is sit around solving tech problems.

Comfortable room

The room was comfortable.
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

The room was comfortable.

I was not please with the stay at this facility and will not book at this Hotel again.
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

The Hotel did not look clean, the front entrance carpet was very dirty and that continue in the elevators and the hallway on the third floor. The room I stayed in had a bad smell to it, even after turning the air conditioning down and spraying lysol.

Location to Tanger Outlet

Enjoyable from arrival to departure.
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

Friendly and helpful staff. Delicious breakfast. Room was ready on arrival from 7 hr traveling time. Able to 'rest' in the comfortable beds before going to 6 pm concert .

Besides the fridge and microwave everything else was very nice

No refrigerator or microwave

Front desk clerk was very nice and helpful. Breakfast was good and the area was clean. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Good weekend stay
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

My husband and I felt there needed to be more outside lighting. The hotel is situated at the end of a service road, by woods. It needs more area lights in the parking lot and front of the building.

The hotel was 5 minutes from most of the shopping centers and good places to eat. The staff members were extremely nice and efficient. I thought the coffee was better than most hotel coffee each morning of our weekend stay. The hotel was a bit older, but clean for its age. The price was reasonable and almost half the cost of nearby, newer hotels. If you are looking for a good place to stay for a couple of nights, especially if you are going to be out sightseeing or shopping in North Charleston for the weekend, this is a good place to book.

Would not recommend
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

Property dated and in poor location. 2nd location around corner so why keep this dated one. Mold stains on roof. Carpet outside door soaked. Door was a pain to open and close

Rooms were clean and well equipped.
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

Room was humid even with AC running. Wifi was difficult to connect and kept saying "unsafe connection" which was a concern for us.

Rooms were clean and well equipped. Breakfast was great! Staff very friendly

I would probably book a room there again, but without a third party involved.
    • Two Double Beds Smoking

My first complaint is that I changed my reservation from one king and one double room to just the one double room. However, I was given the king room and I had my two grandchildren with me. Second complaint, there was no microwave or refrigerator in the room

The location was only one exit away from where my church convention was being held. The breakfast was good.

A short stay in N. Charleston
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Very loud hotel; people were in the halls until late at night, talking loudly. No bathroom fan--that helps with noise and humidity.

Room was clean, staff friendly.

Okay room, needs better feeling of security
    • One Double Bed with Bath Tub Disablity Access

Hallways dingy. Night clerk poorly dressed with much skin exposed when bending over. When I came back to property in the evening, there's were lots of people hanging out in the parking lot, at the front entrance, and sitting on curbs in parking lot.

Comfortable room. I asked for a higher floor but was given first floor.

Breakfast included!
    • Non-Smoking Room-One Double Bed

It was an odd location. I felt the room was a little small but it was comfy.

Breakfast included! After a long car ride I enjoyed the comfy bed and sheets! The shower had different massage settings. I wish I would've gotten in earlier to check out the pool.

Outstanding - Hampton - Inn - Opportunity
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

No fan in the room's bathroom...no refrigerator in the room...need more towels.

Elizabeth at the front desk was absolutely awesome! A truly valuable employee who always went over and beyond to help in any way she could. Thank you Elizabeth. Also, loved the pillows...breakfast...all the staff and booking.com's hassle-free and convenient booking, registering and checking out!

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Not up to to the Hilton Hampton Inn Brand
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

This hotel was not up to Hampton Inn standards, it was old and not very clean. There was a sign outside my room with the room number - it was glued onto the wall crooked. The walls were banged up and dirty and the couch was so dirty I covered it with a blanket.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

Simply horrible accommodations
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

Requested a ground-floor room for five days prior to arrival due to handicap disability. Unable to accommodate. Also requested non-smoking room and was placed in a smoking room. Very dirty overall

Convenient to the airport

A good deal for the price.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Mattress was uncomfortable and there was a very musty smell in the elevator. We took it all with a grain of salt, having been told that the property was soon to be closed down.

The front desk clerk at check-in was amazing. She had to deal with a horde of people who arrived at the same time, some of whom were actually booked at the new property across the street. She was "on it" and with a smile the whole time.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Terrible
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

New Hampton Inn just opened, and will replace the one where I stayed. The Hampton Inn where I stayed is closing this Oct. 2017. This hotel is dirty, outdated, has deferred maintenance and should not be open. A disgrace to Hampton Inn hotel chain.

It could have been better...
    • One Double Bed with Bath Tub Disablity Access

The AC didn't work properly so I would wake up at night sweating. The door handles were messed up so I had a hard time opening the door. I had to go downstairs to the front twice to get my key replaced.

The staff was nice.

To pricey for what you get
    • Two Double Beds Smoking

I asked for nonsmoking room and they did nothing to accommodate my needs i have two small kids and the room was smoking just horrible experience

We accidentally went in the brand new Hampton Inn- thinking...
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

We accidentally went in the brand new Hampton Inn- thinking it was our hotel less than a 1/2 mile away- they directed us to our hotel- which was in stark contrast to the new hotel. Our room was tiny, tiny tiny. Cheese its were on the floor from the person before us.

Great Deal
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Our room only had a shower. I was hoping for a hot bath. However, the staff said you can request a room with a tub.

Breakfast was awesome, and the room was great.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

This place is a Dump...
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Felt like staying in a trash can, carpet dirty and nasty through out, no microwave of frig. in room as stated during booking. Hotel smelt of sewage and feces, frt desk staff rude with attitudes, housekeeping spoke no English and had to act out what you need. Corp office staff never followed up on complaints. Grossly overcharged and We will never stay at another Hampton INN dump...

location.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

The staff were wonderful.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The place seemed old and dirty. The hall rug was stained, the shower door fell off the track and the pool was small and so cold we couldn't use it.

The staff were wonderful. Deon at the desk could not have been nicer and more helpful. He had a smile on his face whenever I talked with him. And Bill the shuttle driver was friendly and kind. He recommended a place for dinner that was just great.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Great place for a quick getaway
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Hallways are noisy during busy times & you can hear everything within your room. Elevators a bit on the slow side.

Rooms were clean & well appointed. Staff very friendly. Shuttle to/from coliseum was a nice perk! Proximity to downtown Charleston is good.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Awesome stay
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

I did not like the fact that when I checked out they would not give me a receipt because they said since I booked on booking.com I had to get it there. I stayed in Charleston the day before at a Hyatt Place hotel which I also booked on booking.com and not only did they give me a printed receipt, they slipped it under my door that morning and I didnt have to do anything at the desk.

The hot breakfast which consisted of bacon, eggs and grits was delicious. There were also a variety of other choices so there was in fact something for everyone. Room was beautiful! Location was great. Rigt off the interstate

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Clean, comfortable place to stay.
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

Making a left hand turn from the access road to the hotel onto the well-trafficked 4-lane street is a problem; we generally made a right hand turn to immediately access the ramp onto I-26.

Breakfast was good, and selections were somewhat different on the second day than the day before.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Great place to stay in North Charleston
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

Great breakfast! Oatmeal, eggs (scrambled or boiled), sausage, variety of bread items, yogurt and fruit were available. Very helpful staff. Free shuttle service every 30 minutes.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Breakfast is really included and good, the staff was kind.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

It was a really small room with an average quality for four people accommodation and the quality of the blankets and towels can be better.

Breakfast is really included and good, the staff was kind.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Excellent except the carpets needed to be cleaned.
    • Non-Smoking Room with Two Double Beds

The only thing that needed attention were the carpets. It would be an A+ hotel if it were not for that.

Great location, shuttle service, friendly staff, great amenities

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Would definitely stay here again!

no complaints

The evening shuttle driver was great,,went out of his way to make sure we got to the location we were going to,,very friendly, polite and courteous.Staff at the hotel were very accommodating.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

From the moment we walked in to check in the 2 girls at the...

From the moment we walked in to check in the 2 girls at the front desk were awesome. They were friendly and both had big smiles on their faces. Don't see that much these days. They upgraded us to a king room which was very clean and comfy. I would definitely stay here again!

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

The friendliness of the staff

The friendliness of the staff

Loved it.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Friendly staff n bed slept like a dream.

Great room for a great price!

Great room for a great price! 👍