Reviews of The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago 4 stars

909 North Michigan Avenue, Streeterville, Chicago, IL 60611, USA

#78 of 146 hotels in Chicago

4.8

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Great location next to John Hancock Tower, and near the...
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast was not included, and was very expensive - it was over $60 for 2 of us for one sitting...

Great location next to John Hancock Tower, and near the magnificent mile.

Loved the staff!
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Loved the staff! So helpful and polite with checking in, storing our luggage and even helping me find my sons lost blankie we accidentally left there after we checked out. Great location and nice rooms.

Fabulous!
    • Traditional King Room

Only disappointment was the prime rib in the Grill. Tough but it was refunded for us. Baked potato hard too!

The staff was very helpful with guiding us to the Cubs game, the zoo and Navy Pier. All great spots and fun! Drinks in bar great! Location safe and we could walk to many great restaurants too!

Location great, hotel not memorable. Staff made up for deficit.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathrooms seemed poorly done and only full size beds when wanting to share room. For the price was more like a holiday inn inside. Reception/check in area very tired looking and not welcoming.

Comfortable beds with nice linens. Very friendly, efficient staff.

The location is great, on the other side of Hancock and end...
    • Traditional King Room

The wifi is not free and expensive.

The location is great, on the other side of Hancock and end of magnificent miles. And the breakfast was great with various choices. There is a Hertz onsite service area and it's pretty convenient to return the rental car.

It is a very nice hotel and the location was great.
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Partial Lake View

I thought the cost for the parking was too high considering what was being paid to stay at the hotel. I understand a fee would be necessary but $71.00 is too much.

The bed was very comfortable and the view was very nice.

Great hotel for business or pleasure with a very good central location
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had to stay in Chicago longer than expected due to delayed flights and the hotel provided perfect communal areas for working which was our reason for moving from The Drake. The Grill also offered a good menu for both breakfast and dinner which meant you did not need to venture out of the hotel if time was of essence.

Convenience is key
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds are double so quite small if you are used to queen or king. Cleaning services could pay a bit more attention to detail they didn't refill toilet paper and also left some used bedding in the room. I was also surprised how dusty the room got.

Location was very convenient and ideal for a family looking to explore

I enjoyed the location, near all stores and restaurants,...

Table in room looked as though it had not been dusted in forever. The tub while it appeared clean at a glance, there seemed to be old soap scum, maybe dirt ring around the tub.

I enjoyed the location, near all stores and restaurants, William (front clerk) was absolutely amazing. He was very accommodating, understanding and kind. Front door men were wonderful. Hotel itself was beautiful, the restaurant was exquisite and hotel smelled wonderful

"I made a very bad choice"
    • Traditional King Room

The only computer was at the Front Desk & that was not working.

I booked at the Westin Hotel Michigan Avenue Chicago after midnight on March 28th, 2018. I am a SPG & Marriott member, yet when I informed the Guest Agent she did not bother to look it up; when I asked for a direct rate she quoted $199 because she said that was the Front Desk rate. What is that? A rate is a rate! Way too much. I booked on Booking.com at the computer near her for a little less money, but still was very steep for a night. Westin Hotel does not have a Business Center; guests need to go to the Fed-Ex office on the premises & pay 45 cents per minute to use the computer. Westin Hotel charges for local phone calls made from the room, though when I complained about the other things, Eileen waived the charges. I ate breakfast at The Grille Restaurant on the premises & that was a huge mistake. I had a bacon & cheese omelette, potatoes, 1 slice toast, with coffee. They charged me $4.50 for the coffee; that was still steep even though it included refills while on the premises. My total bill was $25.00. Please note that the restaurant is not affiliated with the hotel. This hotel is ideal for rich business men & women who are not budget conscience & use their plastic cards without thinking twice about what the costs are. Perhaps the companies they work for have deep pockets. Who knows? Eileen gave me 2000 points, but, I e-mailed her to ask for a refund instead. Have not heard back. She is able to refund the money because I paid during my stay on the property & not Booking.com. I don't anticipate staying at any of the SPG or Marriott hotels anytime soon.

Perfect location and comfortable stay at a hotel chain we can depend on.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

We could hear voices and noise from the guests in the room next door.

The location of the hotel is outstanding. We could walk everywhere we wanted to go. For the price, it was a great value. we had a delicious light lunch at the restaurant located off the lobby and the service was friendly and prompt.

I found the bed extremely uncomfortable, the room was clean...
    • Traditional King Room

I found the bed extremely uncomfortable, the room was clean but lacked that attention to detail, as did most of the hotel. Food was great. restaurant & hotel staff were outstanding.

Location to Michigan Ave was excellent.
    • Traditional King Room

This Westin is just not the same quality of other Westin’s I have stayed in. I was really looking forward to the bed but the bed here was unremarkable. It was fine, just in desprate need of an upgrade.

Location to Michigan Ave was excellent.

we'll be back
    • Traditional King Room

hate the room service menu on TV, menu limited and rather expensive for what it was

stayed at Wdstin before for proximity to shopping on N Michigan Ave . like all Chicago hotels it's not cheap but didn't expect it to be , staff very good, bathroom had tub and shower

New yrs eve stay
    • Traditional King Room

The parking is fairly expensive and the water didnt get hot only luke warm. Also the ice machine is in a secluded area with no cameras

That it was right by everything and easy access to an uber. An Ashley had great customer service and was very knowledgeable. She really made our stay even better.

I proposed to my girlfriend during this trip.... need I say more!
    • Traditional King Room

On two occasions we received towels with hair on them. The staff was very accommodating and fixed it immediately. Other than this the stay was great!

The hotel is in the heart of downtown! We didn't have the best view during the day, but at night when the buildings lit up, it was beautiful! Don't get the paid wifi... there is a free option if you just ask!

It was 3 nights in heaven.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Being followed or watched like i stole something by the security every time i would go down to the lobby to relax.

The beautiful shower head and the comfortable beds.

The Staff and meals were very good.
    • Traditional King Room

Having to pay Extra for in room WiFi and having to go down 11 floors to the lobby for it.

The Staff and meals were very good.All employees were very cordial and friendly especially the door men with one Exception: the woman checking us in was rude BUT the General Manager lady fixed the room issue and moved us to another room. Cleaning staff was exceptional.

Great night. Clean room. Wonderful staff. Will definitely consider the Best Western chain in the fut

The night we stayed was the night of the Festival of Lights parade, so the hotel was very busy with tons of kids. The staff was amazing. Patient, accommodating and super friendly. Very quick service for a housekeeping request. Lovely hotel.

comfortable, convenient, great stay
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Parking was too expensive, so we used a different option and carried our luggage several blocks.

I loved having a Starbucks in the building. Staff was very helpful!

Great city and very nice hotel.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

We came with kids to do more museum-type activities and it was a bit farther away from all that. Wracked up some decent Uber expenses. No pool.

The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. This is a great location if you are into shopping.

Good for business travel

Cost of in-room wifi.

Steve, my server at breakfast. He was so attentive and pleasant and help me feel at home which is nice to experience when traveling for business. The heavenly bed. Location.

Overall good but trying to leave was hectic/exhausting
    • Club Double Room with Two Double Beds - Executive Lounge Access

Directed to a wrong location to pick up car from Valet- waited 25 min with young children to find out we were sent to the wrong area by 3 different people!!!!

Great staff!!!
    • Grand Deluxe King Room - City View

We paid a lot of money for an up grade and the bathroom was old very 90. Basic basic basic. The shower was very weak. The tub was with the shower no jet no anything took a very long time to have even a warm bath. The cleaning of the hotel room while there was awful all they did was make the bed with the same sheets. When you pay $350.00 dollars for a room you would have hoped the would have dusted. The room we had was just two rooms put together which is fine bed in one room with couch the other room washroom couch chair tv. I have stayed a lot at the fairmount chain and the Westin really missed out on the small touches. Other than staff, lobby and room service it was like a holiday in.

The cleaning of the rooms was terrible. But the staff was outstanding!! The spa was very small and very basic. The staff again amazing the two people we had Steve & M were very very good at their job.

Sheets were stained and dirty.
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Sheets were stained and dirty. Even when they came to replace them the set they brought were also stained and dirty. They had to go back and brought one that was cleaned. Was surprised a Westin would put stained sheets on beds.

Overall, it was good
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking was difficult. We had a trailer and received a call that the valet could not drive nor park it. We went down and worked with the valet for about 45 minutes to park it. Still charged

Beautiful bathroom! Nice front desk staff

I arrived late and was placed in the very small room which...
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Promise was not been met by the hotel staff.

I arrived late and was placed in the very small room which was not I originally booked. (I was told no rooms available). Then when I asked for change on the second day, it was a very difficult long process, I need to ask and ask. I have always stayed with Westin every time I visit the city, this time was not pleasant at all.

Great location, comfortable bed, tight accommodations
    • Traditional King Room

I have stayed st this facility several times in the past and this room was much smaller than I've experienced in the past.

Great location and room annenties.

Not a good experience.
    • Grand Deluxe King Room - City View

This room was not booked for the night charged.

I did not book this room for this date. I made the reservations through Skiplagged. I made sure the date was correct, but the room was booked for the wrong date. I was not able to use the room, and have been charged. How do I get this corrected?

Not worth the money. Pick another hotel
    • Traditional King Room

The beds where like a rock, the pillows where air filled cloth, I had asked for better pillows and got 2 of the same. The toilet paper was sand paper.

Nice bathroom, good view

Had a lovely stay at a beautiful property
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Overnight valet parking was too expensive.

The bed was luxurious, front desk staff made sure we had a wonderful view, the tub was great, and it was quiet and relaxing.

The person who checked me in did all that he could do to...
    • Traditional King Room

There should have been better communication to my company's secretary. She booked the room on her card and was to pay for it. There is no way I would have had her card and thus had to personally pay for the room to check in due to the policy. This could have been avoided by charging her card for the room up front or some other solution. WiFi should have been included, especially for the room price. It should be a standard offering in all rooms for that scale of hotel.

The person who checked me in did all that he could do to help me given the uncommon policy of the hotel. I liked that there was the option of getting a shake for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Meh
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The double beds were hard and uncomfortable for 2 people. For $400/night you would expect good beds. There were pets at the hotel. I don't like spending $400 a night when there may have been dogs in my room. I arranged to board my pets at home. Maybe they should refund me $60 a night for that.... One night I had not eaten and I asked the desk person about food. He suggested I walk 4 blocks away at 11:30pm to McDonalds. I declined. My daughter a half hour later ordered McDonalds food through an app that delivered the food to the hotel for $4. Maybe the staff needs to update. The lobby is narrow and when there is a big checkout rush it is full of kids and their drunk parents.

location, clean, there is a little Starbucks coffee corner in the lobby. 6 blocks away from the subway/train to Wrigley field. It looks like it would be a good place to have a conference. It was safe around the hotel. Near the train station at State and Chicago and on Michigan avenue there were a few questionable characters hanging out. Concierge gave us good advice about travel to Wrigley field and about timing for departure to O'Hare.

My stay was awesome in the middle of all the action very clean an bright.
    • Traditional King Room

price for parking was way to much an no breakfast for such a swanky hotel you would think they would offer that to all paying customers

The location and the price

To much money for not much in return
    • Traditional King Room

The beds were extremely uncomfortable and small. I had booked a king but when we got into our room it was 2 full size beds. We felt like we just couldn't relax in the room. We had been running late due to parking and when we checked in we didn't have much time to say anything because we needed to be somewhere with reservations. I also had just gotten married the night before and we were not to happy about sleeping in separate beds because we tried sharing the small uncomfortable bed. Over all experience for us newlyweds, was let's just leave early and go home.

Bang for your buck
    • Executive King Suite

We had a bachelorette with a few girls, and the staff was more than accommodating. They said they'd bring up anything we needed and helped bring our decorations and gifts up to our room. The space was big enough for all of us and it was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Okay hotel
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Wifi is not free and breakfast charges are extortionate although there is also a small cafe inside to purchase hot drinks from. Rooms lack little amenities like dental kits etc and soap and shampoo was not replaced during my time there even thought they were visibly low.

Hotel is in a good location especially to access the magnificent mile. Beds very comfy

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

First stayed at this hotel in 1986 and see no reason to look elsewhere when in Chicago!
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

More choice on the restaurant menu and a "coffee shop" menu offering lighter meals, e.g omelette and salad, which would be appreciated by new arrivals off long-haul flights!

Central location, comfortable room, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Best bang for your buck- perfect location
    • Traditional King Room

The front desk- check in girl could've been more friendly. She literally stood there like a ticket taker, emotionless. Didn't offer any recommendations, didn't tell us about the bar/restaurant on site, she just stared. Not what I'm used to by far...other than that I love the Westin and most SPG hotels!

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Loved the Westin
    • Traditional King Room

The staff was very friendly the location was extremely clean and the room was awesome! The location was conviently located near everything so shopping and restaurant was very acesssible.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Chicago trip
    • Grand Deluxe King Room - City View

Staff is very good. Asking what else they can do. The room and hotel are well maintained and clean. The amenities are great including the restaurant and bar.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Great stay at the Westin Michigan Ave!
    • Traditional King Room

Shower pressure could have been better. Also, I would have really appreciated complimentary WiFi for a multiple night stay.

Room was spacious, location was great, staff was friendly. The bathroom was good and clean. Bed was comfortable! I also really liked the concept of additional starwood points for not requesting a full maid service. All I ever really need is fresh towels and a turned down bed, so this is a good idea that I will take advantage of in the future.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Great location on Michigan Avenue, walking distance of great...
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Staff weren't particularly friendly, no mini bar available in room

Great location on Michigan Avenue, walking distance of great shops, bars, restaurants and all major tourist attractions

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Courteous and helpful staff
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was impressed with the overall courtesy of the staf. They were always readily available with a smile to assist in any of our needs or questions. Great service

Stayed here for 3 nights right before Christmas.
    • Traditional King Room

Stayed here for 3 nights right before Christmas. Such a memorable trip.. the Westin is our favorite hotel. Perfect location, comfortable beds, PET FRIENDLY :) with no additional fees, and the beat location. Also- awesome restaurant attached is the grille. Amazing food. We love it here and can't wait to book our next few visits back to the Westin.

Great location, nice hotel.
    • Traditional King Room

The view (hotel yard), people talking in the hallway in the middle of the night (but it was New Year's Eve).

Big, comfortable bed. Nice staff. Great location. I would stay there again.

Will Recommend for family stay
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

It was a double deluxe room meant for 4 adults but only 1 bath robe was provided. Room size was very small for double deluxe. No complimentary fruit or cookies basket was provided which is normally a courtesy for 5 star hotel. It was a vacation time for kids and such kind of small things makes a vacation very exciting for kids.

View from the room was excellent. Room was very clean. We were able to checkin early that the normal policy of westin. We were in the heart of michigan ave and walking distance from all eating joints, beach lake. Its a very good place to stay with family on vacation

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

great value on the mile
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

I asked for electric kettle but they don't have one, so I have to ask hot water again and again, a bit annoying for a 4-star hotel. The staff are professional, but more on the "cold" side and not very hostipable.Also the parking is insane, they charge 70/day, and the front desk recommend a self park accross the street which costs 50. Just dont listen to them and use parkwhiz or spot hero, you can find something nearby for ~20-30/day.

the location is great for the price. And some room have very nice views so be sure to ask if you can get one of those at check in. room is very clean as described. Great stay overall.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

We love the location Dining for breakfast was a treat...
    • Traditional King Room

No wifi in room no tv the last day and. Ought we were there.

We love the location Dining for breakfast was a treat Wonderful waiter Adrian! Delicious Benedict .

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

We were going to the Louis Vuitton store and they were right...
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Partial Lake View

We were going to the Louis Vuitton store and they were right down the block from us which was awesome since it was freezing cold . Valet was private which was nice and indoors, in the morning we went shopping so we checked out and took our bags to the driver which took them to the car so we can continue our shopping. we ordered more coffee, shampoo and conditioner since fiancée thinks he was long hair i guess. we got that and extra which was nice b/c i have long hair and i used the whole thing without worries. there was a issue with my booking but I showed them the email I received as confirmation and she immeaditely adjusted for me with no problem and with a smile on her face and fast. Awesome.!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

A tired old hotel in a great location!
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

My room was abysmal! Right next to a clanging service elevator which ran all night. No sleep, no comfort, and no real satisfaction from a staff that knows the problem but cant fix it!

The location and the staff.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Great place and location
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Ice and coke machine missing?

Room was very clean and comfortable. Nice touch of having cider and cookies for guests. The staff were very nice and helpful. Especially with catching shuttle and cabs.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Our stay was OK but could have been better
    • Traditional King Room

We were placed on 3 different floors for our 3 rooms. My room had a bad smell in it. One room had a wet floor so they moved my daughter & her family to a different room. For the price, I expected a better experience.

Bed was comfortable & bathroom was clean. Great location!

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

My mother 91, flew by herself to spend the weekend in Chicago, and was thrilled!
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

I don't like having to sign on and pay for access to the internet everyday. I feel like for the price of the room, that should be included. Otherwise, it just feels like it is one more thing that makes the room more expensive than you think - given all the taxes and fees charged anyway.

The view from the room

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

will do it again!!!
    • Traditional King Room

little kids running on the hallways and screaming at the top of their lungs on a Saturday morning... not the hotel fault just the kids parents!

comfy bed- great location close to everything

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Comfortable and stress free.
    • Grand Deluxe King Room - City View

The price was a bit much but still competitive for the location.

The staff was extreamly helpful and courteous! I couldn't ask for a better group of people to provide excellent customer service.

Great Place, Extras cost
    • Grand Deluxe King Room - City View

Wifi cost Movies costs a bit high

Staff is very friendly. Place had modern technical & comfort convinces. Didn't like having to pay $12 for use of Wifi nor the $17.99 cost for movies that cost me $7.99 at home.

Location!
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Strike was going on at the time we were present

Location!

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Quiet

Stiff sheets

Quiet

Wonderful Chicago stay.
    • Traditional King Room

Service was very slow from housekeeping.
    • Traditional King Room

Service was very slow from housekeeping.

nice hotel and comfortable sleeping.
    • Traditional King Room

the outside view is not good even if i book the city view room.

the bed is comfortable like cotton, it is very soft.

Location is perfect

Beds were very uncomfortable

Location is perfect

room location
    • Traditional King Room

right behind the staff elevator. noise all night

Great staff and the view was amazing!
    • Grand Deluxe King Room - Partial Lake View

Great staff and the view was amazing!!!

Online experience with registration needs improvement.
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Menu was not family orientfed and quite expensive for family of 4. No problem as other alternatives nearby walking.

Amazing

I liked everything

The beds

I loved it
    • Traditional King Room

My room was cold but I figure out how to turn the heat up

I slept like a baby the bed was so comfortable

Will stay again
    • Traditional King Room

WiFi is not included but luckily the cellular network’s signal is good enough in the room

I can hear the people next door which kept me up.
    • Traditional King Room

I can hear the people next door which kept me up. The walls need more sound proofing

Great get away downtown, view on Michigan Ave is amazing!
    • Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great view, great location to hit the hot spots in the city. Very up to date hotel, very clean, bathroom is spacious.

Excellent!!
    • Traditional King Room

the staff were very friendly. The rooms were spotless and comfortable. Everything was close by and excellent. I highly recommend this place

Staff and room excellent

Staff and room excellent

Perfect.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Every thing specailly the valued assitance we have got from Mr.Michaelthe Arabic speaker.

It was a great stay always my hotel of choice.

The room was excellent