Reviews of Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort 3 stars

75-5961 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, USA

#5 of 11 hotels in Kailua-Kona

• Two-Bedroom

Ants in bedrooms yet not in the kitchen. Ceiling Fan in main entertainment area had no light.

Beautiful landscaping comfortable bedding and heavy weight lani furniture

• Two-Bedroom

Didn’t like the multiple attempts to sell us a time share. Woke us up in the morning with a sales call. Showers needed some updating and some more cleaning. One of the sinks were very slow draining. Not a very good value unless you’re a big family.

Bed was comfortable. Room was spacious. Claw foot tub was very nice.

• Two-Bedroom

A bit of a hard sell on the timeshare compared to other experiences I've had.

I liked the lay out of the property. The buildings were more of a classic Hawaiian design as opposed to over the top resort style. Apartments were comfortable.

• Two-Bedroom

More regular sugar supplied in room for morning coffee & more salt & pepper. Somewhat better map of island area. (Note: Car Rental Co. also did not supply a good map.)

BBQ Pits, Boogie Boards for kids, beach umbrella, picnic cooler in room, proximity to nice beaches.

• Two-Bedroom

For me as a wheelchair user with back and shoulder problems, I found the bed and chairs to be very softl I found it hard to sleep on the mattress or use the living room chairs. We had management change the mattress, but the next mattress was equally soft. I found sleeping on the sofa pull out bed in the living room just fine. The kitchen stove had the knobs in the front which was great.... easy to use without having to reach over hot ranges, but the microwave was too high to reach as was one of the cabinets where the cups were kept. In this case, I always had a family members close by to help reach for things. The walkways to the parking area and to the BBQ grille seemed a bit steep in places. Not sure if they were ADA or not.

We reserved a wheelchair accessible unit and it was fairly accessible with a few glitches. The accessible shower and sink were ADA standards, The outdoor BBQ grille was close to our condo. and the condo was roomy (we were five adults). All the staff from the front desk to maintenance workers and the housekeeper were extremely pleasant and helpful. Definitely showed the Aloha spirit that Hawaii is known for. The location of the resort was convenient to beaches and shopping.

• Two-Bedroom

This is totally on us (!!) but we were convinced to attend a timeshare presentation. This took more of our precious holiday than we'd anticipated (just over 2 hours). To be fair, we were given pretty good compensation for our time, but we regretted our call to attend nonetheless.

We really enjoyed our stay at this lovely place and area. Our rooms were spacious, comfortable and the kitchen well equipped - great for my husband and I and our 3 young children (aged 2, 5 and 7). We had fun in the pool area. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Two-Bedroom

On our arrival we were told about an information event with included continental breakfast the next morning, which showed to be more like a advertisement event held by different tour agents (somehow annoying) and the "continental breakfast" was some coffee, cake and fruit, so don´t be too expectful...

Spacious and perfectly equipped apartments, the complete premises are very clean and quiet! There are two nice pool areas and a gym, which are free to use. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the tips regarding swim and snorkeling spots in Kona area were very helpful (just ask the concierge). From the hotel it is a 10 - 15 min walk to restaurants and bars.

• Two-Bedroom

It's a little distance from the shopping center but it's not too bad !

Staff was really nice , even would offer us rides in their carts when they would see us walk by. My favorite thing about the room was the beds, they were so comfortable! Definitely would stay there again.

• Two-Bedroom

Hard to see from the road until making several trips in and out. You may be restricted by local ordinance, but signage could be improved.

rooms were clean, well stocked and convenient to all facilities

• Two-Bedroom

They'll try to get you to a timeshare meeting. And like all resorts, it can have a more staid cultural vibe.

The pebble-bottom hot tub is an idea whose time has come, and the units were great -- well equipped and comfortable. We especially liked having a full kitchen to cook in and a lanai to enjoy meals together. Also, for those with late flights, they offer a special pass for use of the resort facilities after you've checked out of your unit. The location is very convenient to Kona beaches and the airport.

A bit pricey

Great amenities (pools...), very comfortable (large rooms and bathrooms, great bedding). Everything was perfectly clean and neat and staff was nice.

• Two-Bedroom

Lots of space in condo, great location near restaurants and beaches, great pool area, bbq. Fast and friendly service when requested more beach towels. Friendly staff at check in.

• Two-Bedroom

It would be nice to have bug spray available for each room since there are lots of flying bugs around.

Resort room was spacious and kitchen was equipped with enough cookware, utensils, and tableware to cook our own seafood dinner! Also it was nice to have screens for every window.

• Two-Bedroom

Gym could use more free weights.

Pleasant staff, great location, prompt housekeeping. Great pool! Overall, wonderful place and will definitely stay again!

• Two-Bedroom

Hard to book. I booked it 3 months ahead of time and they could not find our reservations. I called 3 consecutive weeks in a row until I someone from booking went out of her way to make sure it got taken care off, but not until 4 days before.

Great for families. Clean and very modern.

• Two-Bedroom

Unable to check in, even well beyond the stated 4 pm check-in time. No apology from the front desk representative. He just said it wasn't his fault. Had to deal with time-share sales pitches during check-in. Booking.com should indicate that this is a time-share resort.

Great location, close to town and the beaches. Clean, well maintained. Friendly staff, in general.

• Two-Bedroom

There were very limited resort activities; kid friendly but none for kids. My room preferences were not accommodated. I requested a 2nd floor or higher unit but was given ground level unit which had a minor ant infestation. I didn't make a big fuss about the ground unit or the ants. The staff came by a couple times to spray a 'green' bug repellent that didn't work very well. While not ideal...I can live with a few small ants. Although the ground level unit limited my privacy there were no security issues.

Staff was friendly, great location. The rooms, pools, and grounds were well maintained. Parking was free and there were no issues with availability. I felt safe and comfortable on the property at all times. My granddaughter left an item at the pool one night and we found it in guest services the next day.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Two-Bedroom

We were not aware that this was a Time Share complex and so was not what we wanted. It is not a conventional resort / hotel ie no restaurant, bar, shuttle to town, room service etc. and if I had known I would not have stayed there. For families with a car it is fine, but really for short term visitors not accustomed to driving and wanting things close by this is not the place to stay. I think there needs to be more emphasis put on the time share aspect when advertising properties like this.

Condo was very spacious, grounds well kept

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Two-Bedroom

The bed in the master was a little lopsided.

I liked that the facilities came into our unit to spray for cockroaches and fire ants. My grand daughter was stung by a fire ant. I also like the unit we stayed in, it was by the pond and close to the lower pool. Everytime we needed extra towells, laundry soap ect. housekeeping was there within minutes with a delivery.

• Two-Bedroom

I have nothing I didn't like.

The room size, accommodations, and overall layout were quite nice and greatly surpassed my expectations. Don't forget the amazing patio! There was just enough parking for everyone and it is fairly close to the room. The support for excursions were very helpful and got right on the phone to arrange things. There is technically restaurants and bars within walking distance if you consider half a mile to a mile close. But it is just a short hop in a car and we were there and most of the parking you can find is free. You need a car on this island anyway. This will definitely be my first go to when booking my next trip to the island.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Two-Bedroom

When I booked this hotel with priceline, I was not given advance notice that I would be "pitched" to attend a timeshare sales event. The staff wasted my time trying different angles to persuade me to attend.

Room was spotless, the staff were very responsive! I appreciated the follow-up phone call to make sure I had received a visit from the staff for the items I requested.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Two-Bedroom

Would have preferred an upper unit but none were available at short notice.

It was quite, very comfortable, super clean and the grounds and pool areas are beautiful. All the staff we met were freindly and helpful. We had friends over for dinner two nights and the kitchen was stocked well with all the dishes and cooking utensils we needed.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Two-Bedroom

Beds weren't too comfortable. We could hear the people in the unit upstairs every time they walked around. Kitchen and washroom tile floors were slippery, especially for small children.

Pools were fantastic! The lanai was great for meals and relaxing. Grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. Kitchen was well stocked with all the kitchen items we needed (utensils, toaster, rice maker, blender, serving/mixing bowls).

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Two-Bedroom

Noisy upstairs neighbors, could hear their foot steps too easily.

Convenient location for day trips and site seeing visits but not right in the heart of the hustle and bustle

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Two-Bedroom

Having a room designed for a disabled visitor. Fine as that goes, but we requested a regular room for the amenities like a jet tub, or even tub. To be honest, we booked with Wyndom at this location specifically for a jet tub, as we had stayed before and loved that part of our room. We both love a good bath and not able to have that was a huge disappointment. And, we brought 3 others with us to this location and I doubt they'll go back either. We didn't feel like we got $2,000 worth of a room. Thanks for asking.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Two-Bedroom

Someone charged the wrong credit card and continued to tell us they charged the right one. They had the name right but the wrong card. Not until both my friend and I received both bank statements were we able to see that they did the opposite of what they were telling me after several calls. I spoke with the Manager, Cindy and until today she won't admit they made a mistake.We ended up being charged only once but not on the card that Cindy keeps stating. Lots of ants on the pool deck around the tables.

The layout of the room. The staff at the front desk were always pleasant and they even checked with us by phone to see if everything was good. Great location to the restaurants, short walk if your not carrying anything.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom

Only one pool was available - no discounts offered. Constant hassling by resort staff to purchase extras & attend time share presentations even on arrival after 16 hours of flying! No restaurants on the property. Apart from pool no other facilities for families or children. Also would be much better if second bedroom was fitted with a bed that could be split into 2 singles to better accommodate families.

Close to town. Good amenities in unit. Well maintained & clean except for the abandoned underwear we found behind the bath.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom

Sluggish wi-fi, main pool closed.

Great room, tons of space, nice decor, well appointed, huge lanai, good location. Nice pool(the secondary one, as the main pool was closed), in room laundry!

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

Check in a terrible experience. No updated money charges,took too ling. Early check out. Little dark rooms, no view from apt.

Spacious 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. Good equipt. Nice wellcome package with coffee and popcorn. A lot of towells.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Two-Bedroom

It's not pedestrian or bike friendly to go down the street to restaurants and shops. Also would have liked to see the water from this property but it was across the street from the ocean at least.

The grounds were beautiful and next to a wildlife area. There were beautiful flowers, geckos and birds to watch.

How tight the unit was.

• Two-Bedroom

There was not anything we did not like very nice great clean rooms.

Very clean a lot of space very nice staff.

• Two-Bedroom

Everything! Can't wait to go back

• Two-Bedroom

Pressured to listen to time share pitch

• Two-Bedroom

There was no cleaning available for 4 nights of staying.

Space and friendly staffs

• Two-Bedroom

Bad wifi, dodgy parkers and if you just want to be a guest you will get a sales pitch on checkin.

2bed unit had lots of room to sit and a kitchen

Location & the town

Located

• Two-Bedroom

The apartment was gorgeous and so comfortable. The fitness center was adequate and convenient. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Two-Bedroom

Long unexpected time share speech. Was not in listing that it is a time share

• Two-Bedroom

Not enough BBQ' s for this size of complex

• Two-Bedroom

More amenities like herb tea instead of coffee

Loved the spacious layout and 2 king bed. Loved the washer dryer. Loved the location.

• Two-Bedroom

Staff was not very friendly and immediately began the pressure to buy a time share.

Comfy beds.

Staff was amazing!

• Two-Bedroom

Hard sell on the timeshare was deplorable showers were rarely above Luke waem

Beds were great

• Two-Bedroom

The 90 minute timeshare presentation that turned into 3 hours.

Very confortable relaxing unit

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Two-Bedroom

A little dated. Pools were small and no bar.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Two-Bedroom

No clrqning service between the days stay. No cooking oil provide.

• Two-Bedroom

It was a nice, clean, and roomy condo that was very suitable for a family of four

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Two-Bedroom

You need a car to access beaches.

A beautiful traditional Hawaiin setting, spacious and clean. Large bedrooms, air conditioning and 2 pools.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Two-Bedroom

Plenty of parking, nice staff, perfect for families

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Two-Bedroom

Bit dated in the apartments

Clean, well laid out, friendly staff, nice pools

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

almost very good.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Two-Bedroom

Central location to town site. Great sunsets from balcony

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Two-Bedroom

We have to go through Wyndham timeshare presentation to get discount on activities.

Fully equipped kitchen !

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Closer to beaches.

Large and comfortable accommodations.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Avail kitchen ware

Location, atmosphere, lacked kitchen ware

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom

You need a car if you're going to venture further afield than Kona - especially in the peak of summer

So much space!

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom

Just give all the trips and workshops a miss and you will have a great time

Nice and quite. Dishwasher and full kitchen were clean and useable.

• Reviewed: 27 March 2016

Interior and facilities started to get outdated, wear and tear. Internet did not work whole week in the unit (only at pool or reception).

Accommodation was spacious.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2016

The mattresses were horrible, and should have been replaced a long time ago. The one in the master had dips like a hammock, and one thin strip down the center that was actually flat. The other one was also broken down. I'm really glad we only had to make do for 2 nights, and we'll never go back.

The apartment was spacious, clean, and very well equipped with kitchen equipment, towels, and furnishings.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2016

Didn't love the bed! One side of our king had an enormous wallow sag in it. Like a giant had slept there for years. Hard to move out of that hole.... Also, our shower door and outside lower frame had blackish mold growing. My sister's unit did not have this at all! The last concern was the noise from upstairs. People simply walking around was very loud, and when they moved chairs and things it was really loud! I read about this on other review sites but thought it was "normal" neighbor noise. Unfortunately it was more than that.

Loved the location, the grounds, the bbq's available for guest use and the staff were wonderful! The units are very spacious and comfortably furnished.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2015

The woman who checked us in upgraded us to a room with a beautiful view! We lived the decor and the layout. Very comfortable. Will definitely return!

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

The noise of the AC fans from neighbouring appartment

Overall nice location with good facilities. There were bugs outside, but if we kept the screens at windows and doors closed, they stayed out. Accidentally had one door and screen open for 30 min and then a big spider and mosquitos came in. However, our experience was limited to first floor.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2015

We were very unimpressed that upon arrival we were immediately accosted about signing up for a timeshare seminar, even after explaining we already had such an investment and weren't interested in another. The other disappointment was the Luau. Singing and dancing was ok, but the 'pupu' was as un-traditional as possible (a bowl of chips, carrot sticks!). Also it's held in a car park under a marquee. Wouldn't recommend attending.

Nice quiet and private spot, good distance to walk to town for meals, excellent facilities for self-catering.

• Reviewed: 14 June 2015

The property and pools are lovely and the accommodations included everything we could desire from the spacious rooms, full kitchen and laundry and peaceful lanai.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2015

Conciërge bit pushy on arrival, talking about all the discounts she could get us on the various (really expensive) excursions.

The resort was well maintained. Beautiful set-up. Good facilities. Upgraded the internet.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2015

Reservation names was messed up ! did call week prior to arrival just to make sure all names are correct, until the day we checked out, name on reservation still wrong.

own bathroom in each room and they accommodate us for late check out/extension at a fee

• Reviewed: 4 May 2015

Not a fan of the hotel trying to get you to join a membership club. Went on a bit too long.

Beautiful grounds and close to Kona. Awesome at night with Tiki Torches going. Room was spacious.

• Reviewed: 25 April 2015

Expectation to buy 'trips' and a phone call at 08:30 to push attending a 'workshop' for Wyndham and free tickets to a Luau.

Size of room. Pool and bbq area. Facilities in room and additional towels for beach.

• Reviewed: 20 February 2015

The unit decor is dated. The cable TV reception was poor.

Beautiful grounds and the landscaping was amazing. Staff attentive and knowledgeable. The unit was perfect for two couples, the lanai was large and the furniture was well built and suited for 6. Great location - a short walk down Alii drive to dining, beach and night life.

• Reviewed: 23 May 2016

We expected a resort, but it was really just a hotel. A bit smaller than any other 2 be on our trip.

Pool was nice.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2016

Wifi can be faster

Really great accomodation for good price!

There are also 37 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.