Reviews of Hanoi Street Hotel 1 stars

1 Cam Chi, Hang Bong Street, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, Vietnam

#211 of 555 hotels in Hanoi

Hotel is excellent within the limits of its ranking as a one star hotel. Better than most 2 stars we have seen.

Kindness of the owner, staff and everybody. Location. The owner even prepared fruits from her garden and her fabulous freshly picked green tea was incredible.

Great location, on lively pedestrianised streets (with motorbikes too) surrounded by cafes and restaurants. Very helpful staff went out of their way to make our stay comfortable.

• Deluxe Single Room

Booking a cheap hotel you cannot expect a 5 stars hotel service. The staff was extremely kind and helpful. They fixed a transfer from the airport to the hotel even my flight was 3 hours late and landed in the middle of the night. Again they fixed a transfer a transfer from the hotel back to the airport at a difficult time in the morning, actually 4.30 in the morning. The hotel is in a small pedestrian street, filled with small traditional restaurants. Nice idea having a breakfast table in the street. I shared my table with other guests. Nice talk to start the day. Obviously the room is not big, anyway enough to easily survive. Small bathroom, anyway hot water for my shower never went short. I rate an overall good value for money.

• Deluxe Double Room

Location is a bit far but there are still nice places to eat around and it's about 10-15 minutes walk to the center. Beds weren't very comfortable. Old mattresses that were sinking in the middle.

Nice staff. Really tried to help when we asked (and didn't try to sell us staff we don't need like other places in hanoi). Gave us plates and staff we needed. Big room Clean

• Deluxe Double Room

Bed was a little hard but perfectly fine to sleep in

I was very sick when staying at the hotel and the staff went above and beyond to make sure I was okay. They made me lunch and dinner to make sure I was eating and even went to the pharmacy to pick up medication for me. Did absolutely everything they could do help and didn't charge me for anything but the room!

We had reserved a room with two beds and got a room with one bed only. We ended up sleeping at four in one bed. Horrible night.

Staff was friendly but could not solve our problem.

• Deluxe Single Room

I was upgraded randomly, which was amazing. The man at reception was INCREDIBLE, some of the best customer service I've experienced in not only Vietnam but also SE Asia. I was able to print off some papers, get my laundry done, and given great tips and directions to local attractions (only a walk away). My stomach was upset while I was in Hanoi but I felt so welcomed and safe in this hotel.

• Deluxe Single Room

A bit noisy until 2 a.m., but this is price for the great location :)

The stuff is friendly, welcoming and helpful, the location is nice, many cafes around, room is clean. The best place to stay in Hanoi for few days!

• Deluxe Double Room

Very clean and comfortable. Our room had a window that looked out onto the bustling street which was great. There are so many places to eat nearby- location was very sweet. The staff is incredibly friendly. This place just has a beautiful old cozy vibe- would highly recommend. Great value for money.

• Deluxe Single Room

Limited breakfast options (egg and fruit) but sufficient and tasty. I was concerned about my motorbike being left on the street as 'private parking' but it was a busy street (mainly pedestrian) and had no problems in the end.

Fantastic location in Hanoi and superb value for a quality private room. Professional staff were very helpful and happy. Complimentary breakfast and good coffee. Room was cleaned and fresh towels each day (unusual for Vietnam). Great hot shower. Spacious, well-lit room. Recommended.

• Deluxe Single Room

Perfectly located in the old quarter on a small pedestrian street filled with outdoor eateries. The concierge was the sweetest man ever and went above and beyond to help me with everything I needed- he even told me how to take a local bus to the train station (instead of a taxi) and wrote a note to the bus driver! Also breakfast was delicious and included in the price. I felt so cared for here.

• Deluxe Double Room

The staff is very friendly and helpful, they gave us good suggestions for places to visit. The room was clean and comfortable. The location is great, within walking distance to main attractions and neighbourhoods. Breakfast is very nice and there is a good variety of choices.

• Deluxe Single Room

Smelled of mold/mildew, but couldn't see any. It's a bit far from most of the action in the Old Quarter, but the location is good if it's not your first trip to Hanoi, and you want to stay in a different area but still be close enough. The receptionist/guard? on duty at night does not speak English, but the people working during the day do. Don't bother asking for recommendations as they will just direct you to very touristy streets in the Old Quarter (I asked about buying a handmade leather wallet - got more helpful advice on TripAdvisor). There are no prices listed anywhere for anything in the minibar.

The sheets seemed clean. I was able to find a blanket in the armoire. The bathroom has an enclosed shower. There is an elevator.

• Deluxe Double Room

As my flight wasn't until the evening I asked for late check out but I was charged $14 dollars for it which seemed to expensive. Kettles are provided in the room but unlike other hotels I've stayed in there wasn't any coffee or tea sachets provided which is always nice to have for when you arrive.

I was greeted with a warm welcome. Rooms were nice and clean. Even though I hadn't paid for a room with breakfast included he was still happy to bring me a coffee every morning on request which he didn't charge me for when I paid at check out. Location is excellent, a 10 minute walk to the centre but down a side street which isn't noisy. Staff arranged a taxi for me to airport and helped me with anything I could. I really enjoyed my stay.

• Deluxe Single Room

The location is perfect to experience the real Hanoi which meant it was a little noisy but the staff were so wonderful I can't wait to stay again.

Everyone was so genuine to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Such lovely people.

• Deluxe Double Room

I had a great experience staying at Hanoi Street Hotel and felt especially comfortable as a solo female traveller. The staff are very welcoming and accommodating, and really go the extra mile with their guests. The location is excellent and you are able to eat local food just outside the hotel for super cheap. I would recommend using Grab transport services, as only motorbikes have access to the small side street of this hotel (its way cheaper as well and you can pinpoint your location exactly).

• Deluxe Single Room

The bathroom is very small, the breakfast is very poor

The bed was nice, the location is perfect, quite far from the city centre but find a place to eat isn't a problem

• Deluxe Double Room

Not the hotels fault, but don't book their Ha long bay tour, Awful experience.

Booked late, got in late, they arranged airport pick , who due to road closures took us through building site to beat to beat traffic queues, brilliant. They let us have room til 2pm instead of 11am because of sunrise at Angkor wat and then ha long bay trips on consecutive days, knackered. The hardest bed in the world, but so comfy.

• Deluxe Single Room

It was my first time to travel solo to another country. As a female traveler, I must say that Hanoi was perfect for my first time. Hanoi Street Hotel was right in the center of a 24/7 street food area. It was safe and clean. I loved the staff! They helped me get around the city and took me to the best food places. I am definitely coming back and staying here again and again and again.

• Deluxe Single Room

It's not the newest but I wasn't expecting it for this price.

Extremely nice staff and a well-kept property. The wifi works like a dream. I enjoyed smoking in my room too but that might not suit everyone. There was no smell of cigarettes in the room though. Hot shower, television and ac/heater all worked like they're supposed to. There's no safe I'm the room.

• VIP Double Room

The bed we had for the first two nights was comfortable, but when we returned from our trip to Halong Bay we were given a different room and the bed was very uncomfortable- you could feel the springs through the mattress. We requested an extra duvet to lay on and this was brought to is quickly, it helped make it a little more comfortable. It might not bother some people, but just be aware if you are planning a rest day or sleep-ins, they were doing building upgrades so construction noise was a bit of an issue. This might be finished now, so best to check with the hotel directly.

The family that run the hotel could not be more friendly and helpful. They really are passionate about their hotel. We had a couple of problems and they did everything they could to try to fix them. Amazing breakfasts, the mango was beyond perfect. Yummy coffee and juices too. Great location down a little crossroads of alleyways, away from the hectic traffic of Hanoi. Felt a bit like a haven walking down to the hotel after a busy day in town. Lovely bars and cafes and street food options in the alleyway. Decent, clean bathrooms.

• Deluxe Single Room

Generous rooms all en suite and spotless with plenty of hot water for the shower. Comfy beds . Staff responsive and helpful with nothing too much trouble. Great breakfast especially the fruit and yogurt cocktail! Location was good with pedestrian space around making the street cafes pleasant to eat at. There is a variety of food available in the immediate locality The rooms were quiet making for a good night's sleep. We visited again after trekking . Hotel looked after out spare bags. Top marks from us .

• Deluxe Double Room

The owners/stuff were the sweetest—very kind and accommodating. We especially enjoyed the aAMAZING breakfast buffet the next morning—I recommend other visitors skip the “western” breakfast and get the seasonal fruit, pho, spring rolls, etc!

• Deluxe Single Room

The hotel is really old. The rooms neither look nor smell good. It is way to expensive! I don't know how the hotel could get so recommended!

Stuff is really friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

Had an amazing stay. Beds were comfy, free breakfast was great, location is right in the middle of great restaurants and stores. Also the staff were amazing, always asking to help us, bringing us tea. Especially the receptionist Truong! Great guy

• Deluxe Double Room

Knowing the Hanoi noisy streets, the chamber, giving on a carless street, is calm. Chamber and bathroom are clean and functional. The chamber is large, with a corner living room and a refrigerator. The breakfast is served with correct coffee, bread and butter, eggs and fruits. You may ask other and it seems without charge. The hotel is situated at the gravity centre of the lake, the city centre and the Ho Chi Minh complex, allowing easy accesses, even by foot. The hotel entry gives on a cheap and good little restaurant that we used as a “canteen”: very convenient and sympathetic. But the top is what no more can be named as a service. The hotel is not so large and you enter in a family. The ambiance is very sympathetic and in case of difficulty, owners and employees help you even if it takes hours, asking help to their own family to find the best advice. They can arrange easily the transfers from and to the airport at standard cost, a very useful service when the hotel (on a carless street) may be difficult to find the first time. Thank you many times for welcome and help. We had two marvellous days in Hanoi thank to you.

• Deluxe Single Room

The hotel was a really good choice! It looks much better than the pictures posted in booking.com (I attach some photos of the hotel taken by myself) and it's even more central than we imagined. It took us just merely a few minutes to get wherever we wanted to go. The room was totally clean and well equipped but there is no separate security box inside the room. The bed was comfortable, there are also spare blankets in the wardrobe. We definitely would love to stay there again during our next stay in Hanoi! Thanks ms Van and mr Truong for the great time! You were very helpful.

• Deluxe Single Room

Greeting from Finland, We will definitely come back to stay at Hanoi Street Hotel with my family. Arriving early at Noibai airport, we were delighted to see hotel chauffeur waiting for us. It was breakfast time when we arrived at the hotel. We ate beef noodle (“Fo” they called it) and drank iced coffee; tasted great. The owner cooked breakfast herself. I think she took care of the hotel just as if it were big family: the right dose of affection. Our room was neat and tidy, air con cool, windows overlooked a design garden coffee house, quite cool. The staff is friendly and professional. The hotel offered good package to Ha Long Bay The hotel is in great location, right at the heart of an old quarter but very quite during night.A friend who lives in Hanoi took us for sight seeing. From the hotel, it took only 10- 15 min to walk to all attractions.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Deluxe Single Room

Shower ran hot water for about 3 minutes max. Bed was a bit stiff.

Staff was very helpful and friendly and the hotel location is prime. Best for value.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Deluxe Single Room

I don't know why the reviews for this hotel are so positive—this hotel is tired, old and shabby. It's actually quite awful. It felt dirty, even though my room was cleaned every day. Lights were broken, light switches didn't work, and the positioning of the power outlets made it almost impossible to charge my appliances. The TV didn't work. There was water leaking all over the bathroom floor. I was in a non-smoking room that stunk of stale smoke. My door was difficult to both lock and unlock—from the outside and inside. There was no information about the area in the room e.g. nearest supermarket, taxis, ATMs, public transport—or even who to contact in the hotel. There was no bar or restaurant as per the pics. The wifi was patchy at best. The hotel is located in a side street that cars can't access, so you have to do a bit of a hike with all your luggage to the main road. As soon as I found somewhere else to stay, I checked out—and I was slugged an early departure fee. I should have charged them a discomfort/pain and suffering fee!

The only positive things about this hotel is that breakfast was passable, it's in a good location and the staff speak good English and try to be helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

Troubles with the air conditioning that awake us up at 2am and obliged to change room for a twin bed room in the middle of the night.

Very kind staff and perfect localization to visit Hanoi

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

• Family Room

Excellent location, in the center of the city. Within short walking distance of the lake and train station. Staff so accommodating, friendly and extremely helpful. Rooms perfectly clean and comfortable. Good wifi connection. Overall just a lovely place to stay for a good price!

• Deluxe Single Room

Clean, tidy and perfect for one night stay

• Deluxe Single Room

Good location, very clean, And the staff were super friendly

• Deluxe Double Room

The Staff is so lovely and helpful. They gave us a map with recommendations and locations. Breakfast is so yummy!

• Deluxe Double Room

The beds were a uncomfortable but the rooms themselves were good.

The staff were lovely and went above and beyond to accommodate us.

• Deluxe Double Room

The beds are too hard for a Westerner

• Deluxe Single Room

very friendly people! Iwas waiting my night train station, they propose me tea, fruits and all. Thanks.

• Deluxe Double Room

There were small ants near the shower sink, but nothing you can't live with ;)

Great staff. Good elevator and nice room.

• Deluxe Double Room

Everything was great. Perfect location too

The hard beds and weekend noise you can hear from the rooms facing the alley

Friendly staff

Calm water in the night

Superb service and all the staff

• Deluxe Double Room

Hard to think of any cons here

We loved this place. Right in the heart of all kinds of food and the staff and breakfast was amazing.

Great breakfast. Enjoyed the fresh fruits with yoghurt and the Vietnamese coffee. Eggs any style are good too.

• Deluxe Single Room

I fell in love with this hotel

Location, personal

• Deluxe Single Room

Hard mattress in my first room but they quickly changed me to another.

Brilliant staff who went out of their way to help me. Always with a smile.

The staff was great!

Really nice staff

Hard bed

Very nice room and no street noise

• Deluxe Double Room

The staff, location, great room, good breakfast, hot water, clean room, totally recommended!

• Deluxe Single Room

Facilities are too old and breakfast is not good, less choices

• Deluxe Double Room

Very friendly and so helpful staff.

• Deluxe Double Room

Asian options in breakfast The view from the room

• Deluxe Double Room

The front desk is very helpful and the location is really good.

• Deluxe Double Room

A little out dated. Shower was very old.

Location, room size and friendly staff.

• Deluxe Double Room

Not much space in the restaurant

Good location, close to restaurants and rooms were clean.

• Deluxe Double Room

Staff were great. Location perfect and close to cafes ,restaurants and old town.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Smelled like cigarette smoke.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

some wifi issues but nothing major

Good location, very friendly and helpful staff, nice breakfast, clean room

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Deluxe Single Room

Room is clean and stuff are very friendly

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent location in the old city. Would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Deluxe Single Room

Seemed a little bit confused about bookings and room availability.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Staff very helpfull ad welcomings. The hotel located in the middle of the town and 10 minutes walking to the nearest halal restaurant.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The staff are very helpfull and frendly. Excellent budget hotel for couple and small family. The halal restaurant just 10 minutes walking

• Reviewed: 25 April 2016

The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. We were a short walk from the old quarter. There is a variety of excellent restaurants and coffee spots close by for every taste and budget.

• Reviewed: 27 March 2016

We stayed at Hanoi Street Hotel 5 days and we really enjoyed it! The room was spacious and rather clean and the hotel is in walking distance from all the major sights (Temple of Litterature, Hoan Kiem Lake etc.). Additionally, the staff was excellent - always keen to help you and answer any question, friendly and very welcoming. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 10 July 2015

The hotel might be a little hidden as it was tucked away in some alley. Might be a good idea to get there by cab if you're from the airport.

The hospitality.Mis Van, the owner, is very warm and welcoming. I had a lot of questions to ask her and she doesn't mind answering them all, even though it involved a lot of back and forth e-mailing. We got a cab through the hotel and luckily we did, because it was more convenient and cheaper. We also booked a Halong Bay tour through this hotel. They have other tours also, if you are interested, you can ask Ms Van. They also made us eat breakfast before we left for Halong Bay. We initially refused because of dietary restrictions but the staff actually went to the shop to get us fresh baguettes and served us with jam, butter, hot drinks and fresh fruits. Location-wise, it was next to a food stall and within walking distance to souvenir shops and minimarts.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2015

The second time I stayed here, nothing to complain about. The room is clean and neat as last time. The boss ( Mrs.Van) treated me like family and she helped me a lot with my business there. Thanks you so much !

• Reviewed: 8 March 2015

The hotel was clean and neat with affordable price. The staff were friendly, especially the owner there. I highly recommend for you guys to stay at this hotel.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2015

I stayed one day of business trip through Ha Noi. In this hotel, the staffs are definitely friendly that make myself comfortable as home. I appreciate welcoming of the boss and she was always willing to help me whenever I was in trouble. I have had such a good Vietnamese breakfast noodle ever in Hanoi. Moreover, the position of the hotel is very convenient for travelling around the center. Aprox 5-7 minutes by walk from city center.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2016

The mattress hope more comfy

• Reviewed: 22 April 2016

Perfect location next to street food and walking distance to major sights. Staff super helpful with excellent English x

• Reviewed: 8 January 2016

Just off a side street with great street food and a lovely ambiance. Breakfast basic but good!

There are also 10 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.