Reviews of Hotel 224 3 stars

596 Francis Baard Street (previously known as Schoeman Street), Arcadia, 0007 Pretoria, South Africa

#32 of 43 hotels in Pretoria

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

I liked the view.

The area during rhe night was extremely noisy and rowdy and a bit scary. Tv service was poor. And the room a bit cramped. We wanted to go out that night but because we didnt feel safe we decided it would be best to stay in our room all locked up. Then we ordered food and the kitchen was ice cold as if it left the freezer and straight on the plate. This was very disappointing as it washappens so late already. We waited for someone to fetch our food but no one came to get it so we had to go down to the restaurant to return it. It was sorted out eventually but then the night was practically over for us.

I liked the view. Thats about it.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Good place, clean and neat

The bed was comfortable and the location accessible. The parking is safe and secured. Great location and it was easy to check in without hassle. This was really value for money.

My stay was farly good.
    • Standard Twin Room

Showering was a nightmare as the hot and cold water was not mixing. The water was either cold or too hot. Please attend to your plumbing.

The room was clean. Towels were changed daily.

Not happu

Staff in the restaurant. Quality of food very low. Attitude ,

Food had no taste, the guy serving on the food table was extremely rude and never seen such in my entire life. Bed was too soft that my back pained

Best Stay in Town

There was nothing not to like from my stay. It was just fantasticly pleasant.

From the Shuttle, Reception Staff friendly, Kitchen Staff with their delicious meals to the laundry facilities as well as security staff, I liked all.

The way thwy treated my wife when she arrived.

The way thwy treated my wife when she arrived. They needed to confirm with me first if I was expecting someone, not just blicking her away for that long.

Unless the meter taxi's gets banned, I will not stay there again nor any of my friends/family/collea

The location and most importantly, the meter taxi's interfering and intimidating me when I wanted to use Uber. The Hotel should prohibit the meter taxi's to park outside the hotel. They have no right to harass guests.

The bed was clean and comfortable

Checking in was easy.

The showers are too small. The hotel menu didn't have health smoothies which is something you could consider.

Checking in was easy. Everything was readily available.

It was great experience and will definitely come back for another stay
    • Standard Twin Room

The restaurant was closed by the time we wanted to eat and there was no alternative, so we had to go out. Service the air cons as well.

The place is an amazing place, and quiet and safe as well. The room was great with a nice view as well, i am quite happy with the experience that I had there.

Though room was a lil bit small for me because i prefer my...

Room being small, cater for winter season too, heater wasn't working yet no electric blanket

Though room was a lil bit small for me because i prefer my space very big, non the less everything is perfect, bed 🛏 is comfortable and clean, staff so professional.

The have about 14 floor and 2 elevators and every time I had...
    • Standard Twin Room

The have about 14 floor and 2 elevators and every time I had to to go downstairs I waited for 5 min for elevator because it’s always busy. I gave my laundry to the lady in the laundry service and she didn’t return me one shirt but she went to look for it and found it eventually but the feeling wasn’t good at all. The parking was full so I parked on second parking which was a little far from the entry.

All staff, including parking security, were very friendly...

Don't expect a fair sized bathroom, it's more a cubicle than anything else. The lack of railings / safety bars on the large opening windows will be a concern when travelling with children

All staff, including parking security, were very friendly and professional. I couldn't fault cleanliness either.

It was simple and nice

the toilet - too small! So small that sometimes one needs to keep the door open. Do not allow for a lot of movement.

The staff - very supportive and always ready to provide assistance. That covers all, from cleaners to front desk and back office.

Nothing is to like there from the confirned parking to the...

Everything was a nitemare from the confirned parking to the confirned toilet. Geezz the worst of my life

Nothing is to like there from the confirned parking to the exclusively confined room and gents.. i will never ever set my foot there or recommend anyone for that matter

The staff was really friendly, the entrance is beautiful.

The bad thing about the place was that I could hear sounds from the other rooms and when someone was walking past my door

The staff was really friendly, the entrance is beautiful. Their restaurant sells nice food and their bars are really cosy . Top floor rooms are amazing you get to see the view of Pretoria , Union Buildings and losftus stadium .

Bathroom in Delux room very small, not much space but room lovely for only one night stay over

The breakfast and super were very good. More food options for supper will be great

The bed was comfortable,quietand above all the safety.
    • Standard Twin Room

I had the hotel 224 Burger, the bun was microwaved bread, the bottom slice was hard. I feel if the kitchen did not have buns, they could have said so. *Then the advert at booking.com red 720 including breakfast. The real price is 720+180pp including breakfast. * Cleanliness: the she bin was not emptied. The sheets had a blood stain around the feet end I stayed at room 1315.

The bed was comfortable,quietand above all the safety.

Stay was ok, just wish they'd give more attention to complaints

The rooms are tiny, bathrooms are even worse.Had no hot water for all 3 days booked with them. Constantly had to call reception every morning and evening complaining about the same thing but problem was never fixed. So had to take cold showers every day

The food was nice, had seafood...

- Atleast there was hot water in the morning
    • Standard Twin Room

- The air conditioner did not work - Pillows are too hard - That you have to buy complementary body lotion

- Atleast there was hot water in the morning

The view was awesome and it was very quiet

For breakfast to be warm it doesn’t help bringing cold breakfast with lids only to dig in to cold eggs and mince 😢

The bed was squeaky and the curtain was dusty🤧

The hotel minus the front desk staff is a great bargain for both business and leisure.

The front desk staff needs serious customer service training especially. I have done business with 224 hotel before and the people I dealt with than made the working relationship a pleasurable one.

The room was comfortable and facilities were in perfect working conditions. I found the securities on duty to be hospitable.

• Standard Twin Room

For the price I payed, not complaining. It's not "what I didn't like", it's just check-out time. If maybe next time can be little longer by 2 to 3 hours. Thank you

Clean, staff at the reception was great, having quality quite time with my partner.

My stay at hotel224 was not as exceptional as I saw it on the pictures yet very adequate in reality.

The food, what they have on the menu is not as exciting as you'd think it is. The process if making it is too slow. They took approximate 30minutes to prepare one ice-cream and two fruit cocktail juice. like really!!

I loved how the room was clean, the view if the city when you in bed something special especially during sunset and sunrise.

Business trip

the noise was too much, people were making noise all the night, I struggled to rest. The size of the room was too small luckily I travelled alone otherwise I would have struggled to move in side th room

the breakfast was rich and tasty it has everything i've looked for. I liked the personnel who were very helpful and the check-in was very easy and efficient. the parking and the security were helpful.

Top notch

The place is located at the heart of Tshwane. Easy to access areas of attraction around

Excellent security system. Friendly staff members. Thanks, will definitely make a come back to this place.

The room was cheaper through online booking compared to...

Parking was bit of problem because I could not reserve it though I was there for two nights.If the parking facilities could make a provision for parking for people who booked in two or more nights.

The room was cheaper through online booking compared to guests who walked in and paid

It was good

I didn't like it when they told us that we cannot drink out cocktails in our rooms,but they gave me the cocktail menu but didn't deliver in our room

The bed was very comfortable,and DE lines were very clean.

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The staff was also friendly

The bar did not have music I was in a mood to dance as it was weekend and wanted to refresh my mind

The hotel is easily accessible, clean. I was in 14 the floor I enjoyed the view of pretoria

wonderful experience. I had a nice stay

The bed was extremely comfy and the staff was very friendly especially the one who checked in for us. Im satisfied. The experience was beyond my expectations

The worst hotel i have ever visited.

The bed was very uncomfortable. The staff were making comments rushing us to leave buffet table. The corn was rotten . The shower water was always cold. People we're making noise on the passage we got woken up by them.

The front desk people are the worst thing in that hotel.

The front desk people are the worst thing in that hotel. Change those ladies at the front desk please. They are the only reason I am never setting foot there again.

It was great the ata

I paid R750, didn't get breakfast, I would have gotten breakfast at a bnb for R550, offering the same kind of comfort, so that disappointed me alot.

I like the cleanliness, comfort of beds and the privacy of the hotel lobby

Stay was ok. View was excellent.. just too little space to move around

Should offer fresh milk.. or else what's the mini fridge for if not for some fresh milk for coffee in the morming... the coffee should also come with mini biscuits

Good value for money if you just looking for a place to stay.

The location is quiet rough. Thieves smashing in to cars outside the hotel is a big thing. Need to park inside the hotel premises at all times.

Very clean and quiet. Friendly staff. The view is really to die for. I could see mandelas statue from my unit. The breakfast is super expensive R175 per person😑

excellent location, comfortable and fair for the price. Add more fresh milk, please!
    • Standard Twin Room

not enough fresh milk. And sachets never open nicely so one can get all the milk out proper into the cup. Also helps to circulate Air cond prior to allow geust to enter the room on such hot days.

Bed was huge and comfortable. Privacy. Not paying for any additional facilities you are not using it. Location is excellent - close to shops and walk from all the Embassies in Francis Baard avenue.

Care for fellow man.

Environment consciousness equals care for fellow man. This hotel collect used battries that otherwise end up on the dump which create problems for future generations

Nice outdoor bar

Misrepresentation of availability of an airport shuttle when you book in Hotel 224

The misrepresentation of the availability of an airport shuttle if you book with Hotel 224. Then you find out you have pay R480 per person. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The dining area

I’m afraid of heights so it was a nightmare going to the...

I’m afraid of heights so it was a nightmare going to the elevators as the elevator foyers have a big window and you can’t avoid looking out. I had to wait inside for the elevator and when it came i had to clise my eyes and guided to the elevator by my husband. Coz of that we had to check out quickly.

Dissatisfied

Room is small and false advertising as to what you are getting. Bed and pillows are not comfortable. There was a loud noise I assume it was the lift every couple of minutes. The rooms are so compact that you here everything everyone around you is doing. Will definitely not return.

Good view of the Union Building

My Stay was super fantastic and was much more than what i expected.

the person in charge of the tv is not fair. how is't that they just mute a channel and the guest have no control over it if they want to watch that channel?

The cleanliness of the rooms and the staff was super friendly and welcoming. The view of the town at night was perfect and mind relaxing.

good

none

Hi thank you for Hosting us the Staff was welcoming very Friendly. Especially the Gentleman that assisted me and the Security Officer that showed me the way and use of the Elevator. I would like request that Conditions of Breakfast should be Clear tholugh. I Booked and was told the Breakfast will be served only to be Told it was not Included in the Morning. I got little disappointed. otherwise all was great!!!!!!!!!

Let say it was ok and I will recommend it

The curtain in the room was dark enough ...there was sunlight coming in through the window.i could hear everything that was happening in the room next door

My car was safe and the staff was friendly the gentleman called Joseph made my booking so easier.

Horrible except for breakfast
    • Standard Twin Room

The rooms are small, the bathroom even smaller, the shower was the worst thing there... friendliness of the staff ends at the reception, the rest of the staff is not welcoming.

i slept good. but nothing was WOW

Place too small for two people. shower too small. TV not clear, and small. felt like i was watching on an ipad thats mounted on the wall.

I did not like anything i particular.

It was ok

At the restaurant you are not allowed to pack your leftovers. They should let people do it because some don't eat a lot. We might need to eat in our rooms. It was very unfair as long as I paid and don't consume as much as I want. And also the room I was allocated first wasn't clean. The bathroom was in a mess. I had to complain and they offered me another room. They should also put microwaves in room please.

Great and Accessible City Centre Accommodation.

The parking space at the basement, very narrow. You have to be a very good driver to park there.😂

The free high speed Wi-Fi. The acess cards for the room doors and elevators (it gives peace of mind) The staff are very professional and friendly.

To sleep great, to eat no.

Both me and my partner didnt enjoy the food at all,1st night we ordered from the menu.the buffet on the second night was worse... both night we couldnt fnish the food. Tasteless and dull.

The hotel is clean. The rooms were also clean and I loved it though small. Front desk well managed by friendly staff. Supervisor also helpful as I asked some business advice.

A Great Place To Stay And Work
    • Standard Twin Room

The noise levels in the corridors were disturbing at times; some came from other guests and some from the staff. I think this is something the management should look into, not very cool.

They have room service and the lady who prepared my breakfast delivered it personally to my room, and returned for the dishes. The free, uncapped and super-fast Wi-Fi also enabled me to get a lot of work done and I was able to meet my deadlines.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

The receptionist was very rude .

Good cumminication

The receptionist was very rude .i told him u give me a batter rate he told me he will use tge rate he know because he does not want the hotel to subtruct the money from his account he told me to use his rate or u keave

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Disappointed with the service and the inability of the staff to solve minor issue
    • Standard Twin Room

I reserved through the internet with breakfast, but to my surprise, I was informed that breakfast was not in the package. I discussed with the manager but it was not resolved. When I asked how much it cost, I was told 175 rands which shocked me. I don't think I will return back to this hotel. the Manager could have found an agreeable solution. I did not have a breakfast and my plane was at 13.45.

I travel every year and stay in your hotel because of the cleanliness although the rooms are quite small.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Good, only bed, to expensive

With arrival, there was a problem with key cards. I wanted supper at my room, and was informed the kitchen is closed,I was not informed of time changes because of festive season. I thought breafast was included in price. To expensive just to stay.

The room was excellent, but small. The veiw from the room was beautifull

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Decent accommodation
    • Standard Twin Room

The food selection for the buffet dinner could have been wider. Small bathrooms in the standard room.

The rooms were decent and clean with comfortable beds. Room service menu had good options. The location was very convenient for me.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Bad service from booking.com

On arrival we were told that our reservation was not made and the hotel is fully booked and we were supposed to be moved into some dirty apartments. When eventually we got a room; we got a tinny room and basically was nothing I reserved. I was totally unhappy about the service.

The housekeeping team serve guest with a smile

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

we made do with what we had
    • Standard Twin Room

the rooms are abit small and cramped with the extra bed. the bathrooms are too small and the toilet is too low. the meals are too expensive for the amount and lack of variety

the service was friendly and the beds were comfortable and clean

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Tv is nice and clear

The room is too small and the shower

Tv is nice and clear

Cost place

Parking , tight slots

Close to all the amenities but still peaceful

The location of the hotel

The service rendered i booked a room for 2 people and i was given 1 person room which i was not happy at all about

The location of the hotel

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

I liked the location of the hotel, centrally located.

The bathroom was uncomfortable

I liked the location of the hotel, centrally located. The reception we got was quite nice.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Good

All

The reception.

The reception.

They need to clean under the beds as well as check for the...

They need to clean under the beds as well as check for the hair

Very clean

I booked a double bed I got two single beds after I paid for a double bed

Very clean

Would refer my friends to vist

Hospitality was super

The safe was locked

The safe was locked

The place was close by all the places I needed to visit and I liked that more than anything.

The bathroom is small

The staff there is very friendly

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Nice

Everything was on point.

Security is 100%.Even inside the roons is perfect.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Wi-Fi was none existent

Wi-Fi was none existent

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

The room was small, very small!

The room was small, very small! Everything squeezed in About 3/4bed.....for 2?

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018