Reviews of 40 Winks Guest House Green Point 4 stars

2 Ravenscraig Road, Green Point, 8005 Cape Town, South Africa

#202 of 249 B&Bs and Inns in Cape Town

I know water restrictions is a challenge, but not having warm water available in the room at all was a big let down, nobody likes an ice cold shower on a cold morning.

• Twin Bed Room

Shame with water shortage that pool was closed day before we arrived. Breakfast was cleared away very quickly, seemed a bit rushed. Only one plug point in room

Rooms were clean and beautiful. Good wifi and air con. Let us check in early

All

Very,very poor on Christmas Day no bread because it was holiday!!! (Breakfast) We leaves the hotel after 5 days and I must pay all this it is not corect The fotos that you have in Internet are not corect I did same fotos I found in booking com an other very close only 3 stars but very very good and cheaper and we move. We found 2 bugs that are usually in the kitchen. The doorknob was defect and I must fix it with a bottle The smell in the room was unpleasant and the used a thowing machine to corect the smell day and night. I hope you will think about and take a decision. For the conditions the price was very dropped.

Very friendly staff. Very clean. Great breakfast that was served. They could extend the breakfast hours a little bit, till 10 am... The room was cosy with additional chairs, and nice to be in, not just a standard hotel room, but had pictures and art. The wifi network also worked pretty well. All in all very recommendable.

I stayed in the upstairs room which is slightly too dark for me (I love light!). Will certainly request for the garden rooms next time!

Incredible staff, going beyond to provide what requested.

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Would be great to have microwave in room with some plates with basics like salt and pepper.

The dining room decor was excellent. The staff very friendly and helpful. Security is good due to good location.

I liked the attention to detail, we were asked if we slept well and I said we were too hot with the big duvet and they offered to put a sheet on the bed underneath the duvet so we had a choice. I liked having a robe in the room to go down to the pool in.

• Twin Bed Room

breakfast coffee was terrible - cold and like ink. reception staff did not greet or make any effort to get up when we came in for breakfast. just sat at the desk talking and ignored us. our own cups in the room were not washed up.'needed some rusks in room to make it more homely. we arrived at 11pm and there was nothing to eat at all anywhere. a rusk in the room would have been nice.

room was warm, charming and comfortable. there was a fridge for small food items. nice breakfast area.

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

We stayed in an annexed full-services appartment with two bedrooms and living room. It was great and very convenient next to a food store and 10 minutes walk to Waterfront.

We stayed here before & had a great stay. The staff are lovely and cannot be faulted & are very helpful. I just personally in all honesty feel the standards have dropped a little. We had dirty towels in our room when we first got there or a clean towel rather but with strange stains on it & only the 1 towel & so had to ask for more. Also the shower did not work properly & it either went very hot or very cold, but you had to leave it running for ages for any warmth to come through. The breakfast was also not particularly nice & we only ate here once. Just didn't seem like much care was taken in providing a standard breakfast. We were given some weird anemic looking pork rib with our eggs and bacon for example, just a bit odd. The staff and location are fantastic, I just honestly think there needs to be a brush up on maintaining the standards this place had before for it to warrant its 4 star status & for what really was quite an expensive price for what we got.

The staff and location are fantastic, I just honestly think there needs to be a brush up on maintaining the standards this place had before for it to warrant it's 4 star status & for what really was quite an expensive price for what we got. We had such a good experience before, we would love for these issues to be ironed out so we can return.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

1. My luggage was ransacked and $300 was stolen from it. I arrived at about noon. The safe was not working so I could use it. I needed to go out to change some money to the local currency because the hotel insisted on being paid in full on the first day. I had to give them a $500 dollar deposit despite already having paid 50% of my bill before my arrival. (Please note that my entire bill for 4 nights was only $380). So I brought out my envelope of money to pay. I believe some of the staff obviously saw the money when I paid. I hurriedly stepped out and by the time. I got back $300 had been taken from me. 2. Some nights they would forget to put towels in my room. I would come home after being out all day and the receptionist would be gone and nobody to ask for anything. The first night the hot water was not working and no one was around to complain to so i had to use the freezing cold water. 3. I requested for complimentary water and I was told to take water from the fridge. At the time I was checking out I was presented a bill of R120. Nobody said anything about being charged for it. Of course I refused to pay for it.

The breakfast was delicious. But breakfast starts at 7.30 and ends by 9a.m. 1.5 hours is not nearly enough time to serve breakfast.

Stayed in the same room exactly a year ago and the toilet is still not propperly fixed to the floor (it wobbles when getting up). No power point at desk.

Bed comfy, fridge in room, friendly staff, good location good breakfast

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

The toilet was dirty when we checked in and even though we were 3 adults, only 2 towels were supplied. No towels for hair or handwashing.staff were requested to supply towels but never did .

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

Bait & Switch to dated offsite apartment that reminded me of " the projects ". Then they have the nerve to demand an additional security deposit on check in. They should tell the whole truth before you book.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

In the second night of the stay there was a break in. Although nothing happened. The pool is quite small compared to the people staying. Be careful of the room you book because the bathroom has no privacy if you are sharing the room with a friend as well. The breakfast was not good. The price paid per night, definitely you can find better accomodation/hotels in Cape town.

The staff was friendly and the room was properly cleaned. Mostly people with family are staying there which makes it more child friendly. The location is okay as the Victoria water front is 25 mins walk.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

We were a little surprised that there was no information whatsoever given to guests about the severe drought which Cape Town is experiencing. Residents of the city are asked to conserve water as much as possible but this guesthouse did not make any information available to us about the situation. We were aware and tried to use as little water as we could but would recommend the hotel does its part for the environment and community by informing its guests.

The location and facilities at this guesthouse were excellent. The staff were helpful when we asked for assistance.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

No free parking ,they dont tell you about the refrigeretor ,no fresh air in rooms not smelling good ,staff not friendly

I did nt like a thing in that place

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

The pool is always being cleaned but its never really clean

Comfortable, the place is clean and it is beautiful freshly baked croissants in the morning was a highlight Staff are all super friendly

Terrible guest house, very bad infrastructure. You couldn't even sleep due to the noise when the employees were preparing the breakfast. The bed was appaling, we had a terrible back pain the next day. Very expensive too. Not recommended at all. We left after the first night there and booked a normal 4 star hotel.

I cannot find anything

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

Very, very disappointed. We have never written a bad review before, but our experience here warrants it. The advertised wifi was not actually provided. No facility should advertise as "luxury" in the year 2016 and explicitly mention "wifi compliant throughout" on its main website page (not mentioning anywhere else that it wasn't actually available in its most expensive and spacious accommodations, the apartments) when it is, in fact, not provided. Furthermore, upon arrival the apartment had a very musty odor, the kitchen was filthy (e.g., dead bug and other dirt/debris in drawers, filthy coffee maker with dried up grinds in it, a pan in the oven filled with dried up and crusty fat in it), and there was mildew in the shower. While (on our insistence) the cleaners came the day after we arrived and cleaned thoroughly, neither the owner nor manager contacted us personally to apologize for the filthy state of the accommodations upon arrival or to explain why the wifi we counted on to contact our families and friends in the U.S. over the holidays and to deal with some personal matters online was simply not provided. Nor did either apologize for the failure to provide the advertised wifi, or offer any type of discount or rebate. We were furious, but having reserved for a 9-night non-refundable stay and with no other options available at this busy time of year, we were stuck. We would strongly discourage anyone from staying at this inaccurately-advertised guest house, to which we would barely give 2 stars on any reasonable scale. It is readily apparent that the owner is entirely disinterested in maintaining the property anywhere close to the "4-star luxury" rating advertised.

The location.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

The coffe/ sugar in the room were not refilled every day. The toilet seat was broken and the prices of the items in the courtesy fridge were exorbitant.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

there was no dstv to entertain my child, the air-conditioning didn't work properly,I had to wait 30 at the gate on arrival, and I had to pay more than the agreed amount which pissed me off but I couldn't leave as I have travelled to far and my child needed rest...

The size of the room.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Breakfast , sockets to connect laptops need be one close to the table , need be an better chair if someone want work along pc

room , decoration , location

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

40 Winks worked perfectly for our needs. The staff were brilliant; always happy, very friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable and spacious. We would definitely stay here again if we return to the area. We really liked to homely feel to the communal area and the room.

The location was fine but I would be happier if it was slightly closer to Waterfront. It's about 20 minutes walk to waterfront.

Staff were very friendly and the room was very comfortable. The garden and the little pool were very cute too!

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Attitude of the owners. no know how of running a lodge. One person show. Filth all over.

WE came to Cape Town for the first time and booked through booking.com for room and breakfast on 16th August. On arrival after a long flight we were told the room we booked was not good for us and hence were put up in 2 bed room apartment which was filthy ( specially for the 2 beds). Secondly the next morning after a walk to the main compound from the apartment we were very arrogantly told that we were not qualified for breakfast as the apartment we were put in by the owners did not have breakfast included. The cost for a room night was Rand 1450 which is equivalent to getting a room night in one of the 4-5 star hotels in Cape Town in the month of August. Finally, we were woken up at 6am to collect the balance 50%, which i was again informed by the staff that we have to collect or they will be in trouble ? The grading of 4 Star lodge is not justified and booking.com could loose their own credibility for recommending such a place. Please Please there are many better places and areas where you can get a better price respect and a great hospitality. Regretfully Tennyson

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

The owner was horrible. Charged us for our taxi calls and wouldn't hold our luggage while we waited for an evening flight. Just a nasty, greedy and horrible woman with zero social skills. Never to return and id hate for others to experience this witch as she will turn you off beautiful Cape Town and it's lovely people!!

It was a nice guesthouse but has a terrible owner with a greedy nature! Would not recommend 40 winks!!

The room was very comfortable and the breakfast was very nice as well

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

Private and friendly staff. Daily cleaning service. Wi-Fi. Air con. Like being at home away.from home

I liked the decor. Breakfast was excellent. It was neat and confortable.

DSTV did not have all te channels I would have liked to watch in the evenings.

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

Could have been tea/coffee ingredients Quite pricey for room only and no view

Location The apartment and beds were very comfortable

Keep guest informed about cork fee

Quiet and nice location, superb breakfast!

comfortable

Close to everything

Nothing, everything really good

Friendly accommodating service with spacious and comfortable rooms

No toilet door Very limited hot breakfast Parking on premises additional cost

Comfy bed Good location

Convenient Location

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

racist neighbours wouldn't recommend the apartment if u are not white

Place ok for a family

Wi-fi adaptor - privacy - parking right in front of bedroom window

Bathroom

Many mixups with taxis and taxi prices

Breakfast ladies were very friendly

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

No door in de bathroom.../toilet....

Shower :) comfy bed, decour, people :)

Everything was perfect!!

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

THEY BREAKFAST

ITS IN A NICE AREA

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

• Self-Catering 2-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults + 2 Children under 12yrs)

Breakfast & swimming pool too far away

Close to amenaties

Cockroaches

Bed & Pool

nothing!

Staff were very friendly and nice, place was clean, great service and we were very comfortable staying there!

Fabulous property with friendly staff and excellent location

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Very tasty bred rolls. Nice african style interiour.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Breakfast not of high standard

Self catering apartment

• Reviewed: 3 April 2016

Very friendly personnel, even after late arrival, everything was perfectly organized (which is a big plus when just having flown 11,5 hrs from Amsterdam with a 2 and 4 yr old). Rooms were spacious and clean, breakfast was simple but very good. We only stayed for one night but would most certainly come back when in Cape Toen next time! Keep up the good work!

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Facilities - What 40 winks doesn't tell you on booking.com is that their "2 bed self-catering apartment" is basically a rented apartment in a distant residential building with over 40 other different apartments not affiliated with the hotel. There's no internet provided for this apartment and you are required to buy your own soap once the tiny bar of soap provided runs out Staff - Where to start... The manager and receptionist both have very unfriendly attitudes! However they seem to have mastered the skill of talking with fake smiles plastered on their faces. They had ready excuses for every concerns and complaints we raised about water, internet, cable tv, toiletries etc and were totally unapologetic and unconcerned about  rendering solutions. My friend and I eventually gave up and decided to solve these problems ourselves. Kudos to them though on the effort they put in to ensure every bit of cent owed is collected. The directness leaves no doubts about what their priorities are! When my friend and I opted to cut our stay short because we weren't pleased about the apartment facilities, the manager was quick to point out that we were bound by our booking thus outstanding payment plus refundable deposit of 1500 ZAR were to be paid same day we checked in. When I informed them a day before leaving that I would be checking out 6 AM the next day in order to catch an early flight, the manager informed me that 250 ZAR will be charged for an early checkout since the receptionist doesn't resume till 7AM. As if things couldn't get any worse, it was a hassle collecting my refundable deposit because the manager wanted to ensure I would not travel with the apartment keys. In all, 40 winks self-catering apartment dulls in comparison to what they advertise. I would advise more money is put into the these  apartments to ensure  guests are more comfortable.

Location- Apartment was next to a few supermarkets and restaurants. Also V&A waterfront is about a 20 mins walk away.

• Reviewed: 20 March 2016

Its ridiculous that you are charged for parking & then your car do not even fit in the space provided. I felt disgusted seeing that my car is normally parked behind a door with enough space around it to get out.

The bed was indeed like a cloud, the apartment spacious & stylishly decorated. All appliances at hand & it felt like home.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2016

The place was disorganised our hot breakfast was served before we had our cold,the rooms were not made well,we were charged additional to park on hotel property( not mentioned) and there appeared very little supervision. The staff were willing and friendly but didnt seem to have a clue what they were doing.

The staff were very pleasant and the rooms nicely decorated and comfortable,breakfast was very good but rushed. It is well located for the Waterfront and City.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2016

The property also manages an apartment, well located, not far from the main building; that one apartment does not meet the same standards as the main unit.

Fantastic staff Nice and quiet location Good private parking Nice decor Confortable bed

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

I didn't appreciate being charged because of flight delays. There should have been consideration for travel delays beyond the travelers' control. The night staffer also provided inaccurate information and appeared uninformed. The refrigerator was not restocked and some of the appliances (shower head) were broken, also. It would have been nice to have water available to the guests after hours...

Loved the space, the breakfast, and the day staff. They held our luggage behind the desk while we went on tours. The location was optimal for touring Table Mountain.

• Reviewed: 20 February 2016

Very friendly place, would highly recomend anytime. great location, spent 13 days , did all the tours, which simon and shanee arranged for us. hop on hop off bus stop near by and v and a waterfront

• Reviewed: 4 February 2016

Room 13. a small door between the toilet and the bedroom. Just for a little privacy

The owner picked us up directly from the airport which i felt was a fantastic but very subtle piece of customer service. The pictures on the website are REAL. Have read on other reviews, that the pics are fake. Nothing else to say

• Reviewed: 4 February 2016

No kettle, little toilet paper, furniture old and a bit run-down. Secure parking was a problem, Place can be great, but really needs attention and upgrade.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2016

The location was really good! It was close to waterfront, sea point ,the virgin gym, supermarkets, café and restaurants ! The staff were so lovely and helpful ! I recommend this hotel to everyone and definitely want to go back again!

• Reviewed: 14 January 2016

I would have appreciated a highchair on site. I was travelling with an 8 month old baby and even though I had brought a chair harness I couldn't really relax at meal times because our baby wasn't very secure.

The staff are extremely helpful which really did make our stay very enjoyable. They were always on hand and nothing was ever too much bother.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2015

We were advised that WIFI would be available. There was no WIFI available, except at main house, which was a 5-7 minute walk away from guest house. I had to purchase a WIFI USB dongle from Vodacom. The safe was broken. The lighting was terrible in bathroom. There were only 2 electrical plug outlets in the entire apartment. One was in the kitchen counter (not suitable to plug in anything electronic). The other plug was located in an extremely small slot, under the bottom shelf of the TV armoir in the bedroom. You could not get to the plug unless you laid down on your stomach on the floor and it wasn't close by to anything, except the television. The maid consistently left the main door to the apartment unlocked after cleaning. Also, the apartment is on the top floor of apartment complex, so you need to carry suitcase up multiple flights of stairs.

Location is great, very close by to V&A Waterfront and stadium. There are many restaurants closeby and a grocery store.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2015

Only issue was the lack of internet (there was no indication on the booking website that there was none). We ended up walking to the main guest house (about 5 min away) to use the wi-fi there. Note that the main guest house closes at odd hours, so if you plan to use the internet there, plan in advance, or go to one of the restaurants on Main St. that offer free wi-fi instead!

Stayed in the self-catering apartments. Was right on Main St. in Green Point and about a 10-15 minute walk to the waterfront. The apartment was large with enough space for us all (3 adults).

• Reviewed: 24 October 2015

I was a vegetarian and the first day was fine with options. The second day the fruit salad and yogurt was finished before we ate. The final day of departure we had no breakfast although I spoke to reception on arrival that we will be leaving at 7.30 am. I am not happy with that service after paying in full.

The place is secure and safe. The is bedroom was comfortable and clean. The room was private and quite.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2015

Very friendly staff,the rooms a very clean and the place its near the Cape Town popular VA Waterfront.Thanks to all the staff at 40 Winks great hospitality

• Reviewed: 1 May 2015

The extractor fan in the bathroom makes such a noise. Also the bathroom door squeaked loud and it smelled of smoke

Comfortable room. Cant comment of the breakfast as we had an early start and quickly did continental bfast that

• Reviewed: 23 April 2015

2 prong multi plugs should be standard in in rooms. had to ask crawling under the counter to locate the plug to charge cellphone behind a false door was a bit of a mission.

Spacious room with comfortable bed. Quiet and peaceful. aiming

• Reviewed: 19 April 2015

A wonderful location when attending a concert at the stadium in Cape Town. Can walk to the stadium in under 5 minutes. Could hear the concert as well from the flat. Tastefully furnished and very well equipped flat.

• Reviewed: 18 April 2015

There was a problem with the water while we were there, so none of us could take showers (only a trickle came out of the tap). We also misunderstood the breakfast hours and thought they ran through 10am, so were surprised when we couldn't get anything to eat at 9:30am. Most hotels offer breakfast until 10, so it would be nice to at least have a continental buffet available to guests.

40 Winks is tucked into a small street behind the main road through Green Point and is within walking distance of the stadium--ideal if you plan to attend an event or concert there, which is what we did. The rooms are nicely kitted out, and the beds are incredibly comfortable.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2015

The place is really beautiful. Big bed, huge room. Very comfortable. The lodge is very well located as well. The staff is lovely. If I travel to Capetown again I will sleep there for sure.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2015

We were greeted by a lady wearing a dirty apron. Owner/ Receptionist doesn't work week ends. Bed side lights didn't work. Shade in bathroom tied in knots so wouldn't pull down. Block of flats directly overlooking bathroom could see in when lights were on. No hot water. When we complained we were told we hadn't left shower on long enough. 20 mins should be enough for any shower to heat up. When we checked out after our two night stay we were offered the wine from our fridge for free and asked to give a good report. This B & B should not have a 4* rating.

The bed was extremely comfortable, although the pillow case had an old blood stain. The rooms are large and colourful.

• Reviewed: 2 May 2016

No DSTV in room.

Staff very friendly, especially Gift.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

The bedding was amazing. Liked the privacy

There are also 25 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.