Reviews of African Pride Melrose Arch, Autograph Collection 5 stars

1 Melrose Square, Melrose, 2196 Johannesburg, South Africa

#11 of 90 hotels in Johannesburg

Alright, but I would have preferredI to get the room I had booked.
    • King Room with Pool View

I did not get the room I was booked and I was not believed originally. Also I had to suggest a method for compensation for this mix up.

I booked a king room with a pool view but only received a standard room with no pool view. To make up for this we received free breakfast.

Pleasant
    • Standard King or Twin Room

I did not love the beds - found them uncomfortable. Bath towels on some days were small - there was inconsistency with that.

I love the location of the African Pride

Superb start to a South African break.
    • King Room with Pool View

Cooked breakfast was superb, one of the best we have ever had. We arrived early morning and were able to check in after 20 minutes to recover from an 11 hour flight. Good restaurants and shopping in safe walking distance. Nice pool even in the winter sunshine.

My trip to South Africa was amazing
    • Superior King Room

I know I visited in the winter months but the garden area and pool were closed. Would be nice to sit outside and read a book in fresh air

Location was very good

Great location, fantastic service
    • Superior King Room

I thought the friendly welcome was excellent - and the breakfast to order was outstanding - service was top class in restaurant, reception, front of house - very attentive but also warm and made you feel at home

it was lovely stay

nothing at all

the service i got from the staff and the room itself was great. The calling to check if am fine with the room and the tea cups which i found them ready for relaxing before i wen to bed was superb. they should keep it up.

Great area and trendy hotel; but not fantastic value for money
    • Superior King Room

The rooms were on the small side, with the bathtub effectively right next to the bed which is slightly awkward! However, service was the biggest issue. I found I often had to ask several people in order to get a straight answer; staff would promise to follow up on something and not do so; when we ordered salads by the pool they took an hour to arrive; etc. Though everyone was very friendly, the effectiveness detracted from the overall experience.

Great area, good facilities in terms of a pool, bar, near restaurants and shops. Very trendy hotel and felt very safe and comfortable there.

Noticeably tired - services and amenities deteriorating.

The standards have definitely declined over time. I notified the staff of 2 issues in my room (smelly drain and door that didn’t lock) that were never addressed. The rooms (and TV’s) have never been upgraded since it was built and it feels like the hotel is trying to save money on services - not replacing towels, coffee, shampoo etc (they’d actually run out of room snacks until the following week). Management/owners need to up their game!

I’ve stayed there many times over the past decade - its felt like home away from home. The staff are exceptionally friendly and welcoming. Regrettably, the standard of the services they provide are not as good as they’ve been in the past. But for its location and the lack of competition in the area, I would not choose to continue to stay there.

Great location, certainly adequate.
    • Superior King Room

No gym. Arrangement with virgin active 2 min walk away for a voucher that’s about 10% discount. But seriously, R380 odd for a day’s gym pass is a blind ripoff. Who’s going to be in a gym all day? A small free gym with basic equipment for free is expected for the price and quality of this hotel

Position, nice lounge

Great but...
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Not sure if it's really worthy of 5 stars, decor was a bit outdated and furniture looks a bit worn out throughout the hotel.

Staff and location were amazing

A great place for a night stop in Jo'burg
    • Superior King Room

We loved the location, staff and presentation of this hotel. The rooms are quirky and well sized. Pool area is not vast but facilities are good and eating your lunch sitting a swimming pool is definitely an interesting experience!

The reception staff is excellent.
    • Superior King Room

The reception staff is excellent. Friendly and welcoming. The rooms quiet, but the wind came up and the windows need to be checked as they don't close so the wind whistles through.

Clean and modern
    • Standard King or Twin Room

No in room entertainment. We wanted to watch a movie but there was no on demand purchase option. We were told that we were supposed to have DVDs in our room but they were missing.

Clean and modern

We as a family had a very good experience and recommend a stay at this hotel.

Can’t think of anything, having to leave.

Very comfortable lounges and public spaces. Very homely, friendly staff, good service, peaceful environment. Breakfast buffet outstanding.

During my stay I felt me at home and in security.
    • Superior King Room

It’s not pleasant at night, when you turn on the bathroom light, could bother other guest sleeping in the room. Maybe changing the white partition curtain with a blocksun curtain... On the first floor, leaving the lifts to the rooms we have to climb some stairs, it is not comfortable...

The location and the facilities provided. The staff is professional and kind.

Welcome very friendly with a complementary glass of bubbly.

Asked for a taxi to be booked to go to airport which seemed to be a problem for them. Was told to book myself unless I wanted to use the hotels own service at three times the price.

Welcome very friendly with a complementary glass of bubbly.

Our stay was heavenly. Absolutely faultless!
    • Superior King Room

The room waa absolutely stunning. They made it extra special for our wedding night. Everything about our stay was magical. We are already looking for a special so we can come back. We can't wait!!

Wonderful as usual!
    • Superior King Room

This time there was a disconnect between my booking made by Booking.com and how it did pull through on the Hotel system. I was thus issued with a Standard Room and not a Superior Room. The hotel however was very gracious to address my concerns. Very professional and helpful.

We are frequent guests at this hotel. It is always wonderful. Service is consistently excellent. It is very good value for money! Beautiful hotel and centrally located to all shops and restaurants .

It was a lovely experience that I would love to repeat

The TV was not clear

The bed and the pillows to die for, they were so soft, loved their soap, the room was so clean, the staff is so friendly anytime of the day, loved the swimming pool, I wish it was warm enough to enjoy it

Horrible
    • Superior King Room

This hotel is extremely over priced for what it is. The staff is very rude. At the experemely exorbident prices they dont include breaksfast even if you are marriot rewards member. Staff dont help. Airconditioning doesnt work. Hotel is basic. Cleaners walked into the room twice between 6 and 7am without knocking!!!!!!! Management did not effectively deal with any of our greviances. Horrible experience.

Just wonderful...as always

I liked everything.

It is tremendously good value for money. The hotel is beautiful, clean and lovely. We stay here often and it is always wonderful!!!

Business in confort.
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The pool can't be used year round because it is too cold.

The location is great, the look is a contemporary Euro-African style which I like very much.

super cool arty look
    • Superior King Room

there was no porter to help us with our luggage when we entered the hotel. Our room key did no work several times and we had to go to reception to get a new key three times.

super cool arty look

Spur of the moment stay was lovely.
    • Superior King Room

A bit expensive for a local traveler, wine was extremely expensive.

The rooms were well designed the sound system was a bit kitch, bed was fabulous lovely stay.

Amazing time at a modern and quirky hotel
    • Superior King Room

Loved the modern and quirky decorated hotel based on the theme of Alice in Wonderland. Very friendly staff and great facilities. Rooms very comfortable and the restaurant is a must try!

Not a 5 star place... but nice enough
    • Superior King Room

The service and facilities were not 5 star. No gym (you can get a day pass to a local gym for R275!). Room was pretty standard. There was some noise in the morning, with some building works/drilling outside that started early. I was disturbed a couple of times by maids in my room very early in the morning, so kept my do not disturb on. Just think they need to step up a notch on the service for warrant a 5 star rating and the price.

The location is great, lots of things nearby. It was also close to my meetings. Staff were nice enough.

Best stay in Jo'burg!
    • Superior King Room

That they initially was a little bit confused with out booking.

Fantastic hotel. Excellent value for money. They always go the extra mile. Always a fantastic stay. They will see us again and again!! We love the place, the staff, the everything!

Great stay, great service, sadly lacks good food.

Food for dinner was not good at all standard (service by waiters were pathetic), think if this hotel can sort out it's menu and food will be one of the best in Johannesburg without a doubt. Old surround sound and DVD, perhaps look at using Netflix/Showmax in your rooms.

Exceptional staff at check-in and durin

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Great overnight stay
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The DVD player seemed to be faulty, did not want to open to insert dvd.

Great reception into the hotel. The room was excellent, the bed was very comfortable.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.
    • Superior King Room

There was no turndown early evening of our room. Personally, I think its not good as one would expect this level of service and comfort from a highly rated hotel.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent. Generally the service was great.

Good hotel in a really central spor
    • Superior King Room

It was a chilly night, and the room took ages to heat with the aircon. The staff on duty when I checked in were super grumpy and unfriendly.

The bed was really comfy. The room had everything you needed for a good stay. The breakfast was excellent as were the wait staff.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Re-usable bottles of water

As part of the sustainability commitment the re-usable bottles of drinking water in the rooms appropriately fit the definition of re-usable. No water miles and no carbon footprint.

The vitality and enthusiasm the reception staff, porters, portrayed at welcoming my family to the hotel. Flexibility acknowledging my prior request for an early book-in, was my opinion commendable.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Fab location if you're staying in Johannesburg, safe area with lots of bars and restaurants!
    • Superior King Room

The hotel is quite expensive , by SA standards, but overall is worth the extra expense.

Last year we stayed and I commented on rude and unhelpful reception team. This time I'm delighted to report that they were much better! The hotel is as lovely as ever and location is brilliant. We had a hire car this time and the concierge parking provided a superb, cheap service. Had our New Years eve party at Moyo over the other side of the square and had such a good fun night.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

It's my favorite "home from home"
    • Superior King Room

Nothing, except gym should be provided at no charge.

I love the staff. Best doormen team I have ever come across in the world!!! I travel all over the world for business and always love coming back to this hotel.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

A luxurious hotel, friendly staff, safe location.
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The fact that there's no gym facility on the premises, or access to a gym facility at a reasonable price.

The staff were friendly and attentive but at the same time respected your privacy.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

disapointing
    • Superior King Room

They have done a pre-authorization on the credit card at the check in and they didn't cancel it properly at the check out. I've sent many emails to get my money back but they don't care much, I'm still waiting for a solution. Definitely not a five star hotel experience.

the location

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Outstanding!
    • Superior King Room

The swimming pool could have been a little cleaner.

The welcoming with champagne was very classy and the staff very friendly. The room was amazing, the bed with all the pillows and big duvet was so cozy, the massive bath with view on the TV provided for an epic moment of relaxation, the breakfast with oysters and caviar was outstanding, and the wifi really good! The area was also very nice and safe with a good shopping area and nice restaurants.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Rooms and facilities were great.

The service was a bit disappointing. It did not match up to everything else the hotel had to offer.

Rooms and facilities were great. There's a pillow menu which was very impressive.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

More or less of a muchness

Breakfast was too crowded. Transfer was too expensive. Superior room was in no way more special than standard room.....just bigger. No music or movie disks provided.

The Bedding was awesome.....super soft. Reception staff was super helpful although the room was not ready at checkin at 15.00 - they offered another room to change outfit in.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

A hidden gem
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Overall a very good hotel if you want to be situated in the Johannesburg area. its pretty central and is surrounded by Malls and restaurants. The staff are very professional and helpful. good rooms and good food, Loved the swimming pool design.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

Nice and big rooms in the heart of Melrose Arch.
    • Superior King Room

Staff was a bit distracted when we arrived (wrong room, forgot to hand back passport,...). Breakfast price is quite over-rated as well as the tours organized by the travel desk.

Nice and big rooms in the heart of Melrose Arch. Design is interesting and quite particular. Ideal for one night in Jo'burg.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

*****
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The wait at breakfast was longer than 10 minutes and we had to get breakfast elsewhere and it was way cheaper

Room very qiuet,staff not intrusive and stay very comfortable and homey

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Pool service
    • Superior King Room

Service at the pool area was bad, I think having a waiter and a bar person at all times would help rather than having one person do both, even when the place is not full as this is when we expect swift service but still not get it

Check in and check out was proffessional

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Melrose Arch Hotel African Pride
    • Superior King Room

Service for a snack in the Lounge was slow and difficult to find a Waiter. .The lighting is very subdued .

Friendly Staff. Very well appointed room with super comfortable bed , soft pillows and linen. Quality amenities for bath and personal use. Tea and coffee mini bar and safe . Well situated with plenty of Coffe Shoos and Restaurants in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Great hotel, bad concierge
    • Superior King Room

Concierge arranged airport transfer at double the price it cost me when hauling my own taxi. My advice, just Uber it. Works great and avoid the ridiculous high fares you get offered from the hotel concierge!

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Friendly staff in the reception and dining areas made our stay very memorable
    • Superior King Room

House keeping took very long with cleaning our room.

The reception was lovely and checking in was a breeze with the friendly staff. Our room was also decorated nicely with roses and champagne because it was our anniversary.

Over priced for what you get
    • Superior King Room

Food at the ground floor is below acceptable standards. Bad attitude from bar staff at ground floor staff. In room dining food menu is below standards.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

The hotel is located in a great area - good shopping and...
    • Superior King Room

The hotel is located in a great area - good shopping and lots of places to eat. Also very safe and secure. Using the Gautrain train and bus service getting there was easy from the airport. We will definitely visit again when in Jozi. Thank you for a great two night stay.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

It was worth it thanks.
    • Superior King Room

The breakfast and items at bar is very expensive, but I can understand you will have to make up for the accommodation that is perhaps lower in cost than what it could be. The bathroom is not so private, there is a gap in partioning which can be looked through from the entrance door. No breakfast included.

Value for money (accommodation). Complementary water etc. Honesty Bar. Desk and chairs. Make-up mirror at above desk.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

not a 5 stars
    • Superior King Room

The service is very slow - The hotel have requested a full payment at the check-in instead of pre authorization Staff is not 5 stars

the area of Melrose Arch

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

A special treat for our 27th wedding anniversary

The service at breakfast was poor and we continually had to call for someone to remove plates or provide service.

Friendly and efficient welcome. Awesome room and the very best was the coffee machine....it is a special treat to have real coffee and not "hotel room" coffee.

Excellent location
    • King Room with Pool View

Furniture is old and outdated

Excellent location

Decor dated and impractical

Decor dated and impractical

What a fantastic experience - amazing hotel .

What a fantastic experience - amazing hotel ....best place to stay in JHB hands down

Nice and spacious rooms with good facilities

Nice and spacious rooms with good facilities

Great stay, close to a nice area for relative safe walking outside in the street.

Breakfast not included

Room excellent, spacy and well equipped

Late checkout
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Elevator not working and had to pay for parking

Late checkout

very good

Breakfast service was slow

Good

Cell phone was stolen

Overall stay was very nice
    • Superior King Room

Tiles on floor and bathroom area very old fashioned

Interior decoration of the lobby Even dinnnng room very nice and breakfast displayed neatly

Friendly and confortable stay

My burger was dry

Very central and well maintained

perfection

pool sidep

everything was perfect

Loved everything about this hotel- cool decor, great...
    • Superior King Room

Loved everything about this hotel- cool decor, great breakfast buffet, couldn't get a better location.

The pool hours should be extended

The pool hours should be extended

Superb

Can put a bigger tv

Lovely neat spacious rooms

Great location and rooms, over-priced though.
    • Superior King Room

Have to pay for parking. Breakfast and mini bar expensive.

Comfortable bed. Very clean.

Great hotel in a great location!
    • Superior King Room

Loved the bar stools in the pool, had a great sort of colonial feel to the whole place. Great location.

Everyone was very nice.
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Everyone was very nice. Lili at the front desk was specialty helpful

Above average
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Check in was extremely unfrendly

The best mini holiday I ever had

Didn't extend my stay

The location, interior design plus amenities

Amazing service
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Didn't have all goods on the restaurant menu available

Great get away

Overpriced

Overpriced

Great stop over
    • Superior King Room

Great location. Super friendly staff and really helpful Amazing sized bed and room Close to restaurants Feels safe

The location, décor and Library Bar
    • Superior King Room

It was a bit difficult to figure out where the light switches were, and what switch was meant for what area.

The location, décor and Library Bar

Loved it
    • Superior King Room

I cannot think of anything

Great hotel about 4th time I have stayed and will go back everyone was so helpful

Browse African Pride Melrose Arch, Autograph Collection traveller photo gallery