Reviews of Afrique Boutique Hotel O.R. Tambo 4 stars

20 Asquith Road, Ravenswood, 1459 Boksburg, South Africa

#1 of 8 hotels in Boksburg

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Everything was fine, only would have liked a bathtub in the room.

Staff was helpful even after restaurant was closed. Very nice breakfast. Every room has its own outside area with table and chairs.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

The rooms are a bit old and look more like colonial style than African style... Beds are large but in our friends' room the linen were dirty. Overall it was however quite clean on the floors, in the bathrooms and the amenities. The staff was not unfriendly but some appeared to be a bit shy but overall it was ok, particularly the drivers were friendly. The male manager or owner was however really strange and wanted us to immediately book a table in the restaurant as we were just arriving at night although there was enough time and also space. The restaurant's the menu is not offering African food at all so its name doesn't fit at all... The breakfast is definitively not 4stars, we had much better breakfast in 3star B&Bs... the shuttle to the airport is rather expensive (250 Rand although it's so close).

The garden and the pool area is nice but small. Abd it was nice that we could have a late check-out although we had to ask three times until somebody finally gave an anwer on our request.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Decor was a little dated but that was quirky and we liked it; definitely more of a personal feel than a faceless chain hotel

Staff were great and very accommodating. Breakfast was a little limited but really tasty. Extremely peaceful surroundings for chilling out, very handy for the airport.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Room looked tired and smelled as if people had smoked there.

I give high mark for "location" as I needed an overnight stay before early flight from O. R. Tambo and for this purpose location is great. Convenient restaurant onsite with OK food. Room spacious and with a small balcony. Tea making facility in the room. I did not have breakfast there.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed had a rustling sound - seems like there was a type of plastic undersheet. Every time I turned in the bed it woke me.

Atmosphere at the dining area was great.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

There was not enough breakfast when we went to eat. Would have loved a shower in our room.

We liked the whole look. It was homy and warm and we loved the beatiful square.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Not bad just a bit below the standards of everything else was the bar service when sitting in the garden. You had to call for service , no one would come round periodically as you would expect. Not hard to find someone so not a big deal really just in contrast to the standard of everything else.

Very good food , would go there for a meal even if not staying there.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Restaurant closes early on Sundays and there is not a full bar service on Sunday evenings either.

Huge comfy bed, great shower. The food in the restaurant and the comfort of the bar areas were excellent.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

We spent a night as it was my wife's 40th birthday. We thought we are going away from the noisy city to a quite retreat. It was the opposite due to drunk fellow guests partying, streaming, banging doors the entire night until 3am. We couldn't sleep and did not rest. It was terrible. The security should have asked the noisy guests to stop the noise as other guests were resting.

The location was perfect, but noise levels from drunk fellow guests.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

My fiance proposed to me at Oceana. It was amazing, Leigh, Denisha and Mzwanele went out of their way to make our experience one to remember. The food was brilliant-we loved all the meals. The game drive was definitely a beautiful experience. We look forward to visiting again soon.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

They didn’t have chargers that convert to the SA electrical plugs

I especially loved the tranquil environment. Yoh kind of forget you are near the airport. Amazing restaurant with top notch food.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

The fact that location is almost in the flight path was not that clear from the booking website. On arrival my colleague checked and the wooden doors and windows were not remotely sound proof. Chatter in the the corridor was really annoying and so was the planes flying over. He immediately realized that will not provide sufficient quite place to sleep and asked to cancel his stay. The hotel gladly let him leave only to advice him that they will fully charge the card for the week's stay. That is their cancellation policy. What a BAD taste when you ace to call them twice and send three emails to get the invoice that was not presented on checkout. I will NEVER stay in that hotel again and ALSO warn my General Electric colleagues and SASOL clients to rather stay somewhere else. I thought I'd stay there for the one night I booked and can confirm I was woken up a few times that night by load noise in the hallway and early airplanes.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

No towels,very disappointed No fresh milk I send email and telephone calls to ask for mini bar,they say no mini bar in room but they did not explain there is fridge in room Aircon was off Nobody offers to help carry things to room,we have to ask staff at reception

Coffee tea in room

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

I had to ask for fresh milk for my tea (a little sign tells the visitor to ask reception and it was brought promptly). Perhaps the supply of a few of those little long-life milk pyramids would address this minor issue.

The hotel as an overall feel of being well run. Staff were attentive and friendly, the room was clean and great with a huge comfortable bed (I am tall, so difficult to please with bed size!). The breakfast was very good, with plenty of choice form the buffet.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

It was great. Can’t think of any negatives.

Our first night in Africa, and it was amazing. Beautiful quiet room with a nice deck. The restaurant was fantastic - my husband said it was the best curry he had ever had! Nice friendly staff! Close to the airport, yet quiet.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Internet a little flaky with occasionally dropping out, but overall very happy with my stay

This is my fourth time staying at the hotel and will continue coming back, staff, accommodation and ,meals were excellent

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Hotel should consider giving guests remotes for entry gate after check-in as you have to stop at gate and speak to someone to let you in after dark, which made us feel somewhat unsafe.

The breakfast was fantastic. The room super clean and comfortable.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

This small hotel is of a high standard, tastefully decorated, a tranquil oasis and we were very pleased to find this gem. The staff were helpful and efficient and the good restaurant meant we didn't need to go looking further in the evenings. We booked an additional couple of nights for our return journey and had another excellent stay.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Lighting was poor. It was difficult to read or put on makeup.

Great staff, easy transfer and return to the airport for next day flight. Very clean, nicely furnished and very comfortable bed.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

The fact that they had to break into my room in the late ours to get me inside, and I had to wait very long as their was only staff member on shift and he first had to help other people at the Bar with drinks.

Comfy Bed.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lighting was poor for reading. I booked a twin room but got a king bed. Ok, but would have preferred twin beds.

Bed comfortable. Food excellent. Setting for outside dining delightful. Staff excellent.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

NZ could have won the rugby I watched on the TV

It's one of the nicest hotels I have stayed. After a safari camping it was pure heaven. Staff went way beyond to make my stay extraordinary. Food was delicious room fantastic transfers to airport prompt. I would go back any day but I live in New Zealand. Thank you

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

I did not appreciate the fact that after having booked my room over a month before my travel, i received a phone call from the hotel 4 days before my arrival trying to cancel my accommodation under the pretext that there was a double booking. Fortunately, after vehemently refusing their excuse, they backed off and I retained my booking.

The rooms are set around a beautiful courtyard, the hotel has a feeling of tranquility, the food is excellent , one can forgive the length of time it takes to come to the table. The staff is friendly and efficient.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Pillows had previous visitor hair on it and dirty (not changed) - shower had hair on floor & walls - not properly cleaned. Otherwise AMAZING venue

• Long Stay Room

At first there was a misunderstanding between me and staff concerning accomodation and transportation costs but later it was sorted out.

The food was okay and the staff was very friendly. I really enjoyed my stay there. I don't mind referring my family,friends and colleaques to the hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything was really good. Very friendly staff, lovely rooms - nothing was too much trouble for them. The restaurant was really good as was the food and wine

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing was as described. Their wifi was down and they waited until AFTER I paid to let me know. It took the driver AN HOUR to pick me up at the airport. Rooms are musty and not fresh. Restaurant was closed without explanation, couldn't have dinner. Rooms were freezing.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

The wifi continuously drops. Breakfast is served until 11h00, however, on Sunday the staff/management packed away the breakfast foods and cleaned around us at 10h00 without any regard to our comfort / needs.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lovely place with a FANTASTIC restaurant where we had the most delicious african foods of all our stay. Comfortable rooms with extra large bed and a sweet garden. Very helpful and lovely staff who allowed us to do a late check-out for no extra fee as our flight was quite late at the evening. Close to the airport and to big shopping mall.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Value for money.

Cleaness and the hospitality in general.from reception area and so on.If I come to that part of the world again I shall stay in the same facility.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Needed a shower. Bath's are not to my liking. Water bottle not new - but re-used with tap water.

Room was comfortable and the breakfasts were very good. Security was very good.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Long Stay Room

The transport is very expensive even when customers travel together! The no-cancellation policy is rather punitive

The eggs were fluffy indeed, the bacon was fresh and crispy and the fruits were first class all the time

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Booking.com did not give adequate information about the property. It was indicated that we would be picked from the airport only to be disappointed after waiting for 2 hours and no one was picking us. The hotel doesn't have a shuttle to pick guests from the airport. We were informed on arrival that guests have to pre arrange for transport from the airport .this information was not given to us on booking. Lastly, the hotel should invest in advertising locally since most people in boksburg did not know it's location including the taxi we hired. We got lost in the night...thank God we had mobile data and later used Google after moving in circles for a long time. This was my biggest disappointment. I have now relocated to holiday inn boksburg. The services are better.

The ambience and security

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

We had a great stay on both nights. The friendly staff made us feel very welcome and the evening food was excellent. Very good value and again the staff were very accommodating! Great choice for accommodation in Johannesburg

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Long Stay Room

After a long flight and short taxi ride you come to this little piece of tranquillity. The staff are fantastic and the on site restaurant produce food of a very high standard. If this is your first time in Johannesburg then this is the place to stay. Excellent value for money.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Slightly musty smell in the hall and in the room. Noise from planes stopped for the night fortunately, but we were disturbed in the night by some road noise. But despite this we would recommend the hotel.

Lovely big bed and nice linen. good food. garden is exquisite, with outdoor lounge. The staff really are very kind and courteous. Hotel decorated with warmth and originality. each room has a lovely patio onto the garden. very good wine list!

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

breakfast service was slow as we were a group of 8. we were not fully explained how breakfast worked as they had these forms on table we had to tick re our requests. due to misunderstanding of these forms, some orders were wrong. maybe they need more staff during breakfast

ambiance great. decor tastefully done. location great if you want to be near airport

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Bathrooms the is no rubber Mets in the shower,if you can improve that

I like the service from staff till management and everything about the building and decor.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

We waited almost half hour or more outside the gate when we arrived from our function around 1am in the morning. I did ask them about arriving late and they mentioned they have a 24 hour reception area... we were not impressed to waiting for a long time outside the gate and that part of the night.

The set up of the rooms. And the serene of the place. Enjoyed the tranquality.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

None!!!

Very nice setting, tastefully decorated. The staff were very friendly and always there to help, food was out of this world. Will definitely be coming back to this hotel.

Wi-Fi occasionally disconnecting.

The room was very spacious with adequate facilities. The food and prices were excellent Staff very helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

We stayed in this hotel for one night, and we choose it because it’s close to Tambo airport (10-15m ride by uber). The rooms are spacious and clean. The king size bed is extra large and very comfortable. We had dinner at the restaurant. The menu looked much more European than African, and the food we had confirm it. As starters we had snails with gorgonzola (scargots very well prepared, exactly like in a good restaurant in Paris), followed by prawn curry and pork ribs (both fairly good). The portions are generous and the price is fair. Unfortunately we didn’t experienced breakfast, because we left in the morning at 6.15am and the breakfast only starts being served at 6.30am.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

The room kettle did not work and the fridge was noisy..

The room was comfortable and the bathroom clean. Staff were pleasant and they made us a lunchbox as we were missing breakfast!

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

the food was very very good .... you just need to be very pasient!!!

It was very nice to be able to have supper at the hotel and spent the evening with friends in a relaxed atmosphere.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Breakfast buffet running low on some items

An oasis of hospitality in the grittiness of Boksburg

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

expensive to travel into city etc.

staff were polite and so very helpful food/wine excellent quality and value

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Best accommodation by far. Loved every minute of it

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Cheese platter - not changed daily

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Only one towel for two of us.. shower head leaked. Was hard to open and close outside door.

The service and the staff were exelent

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

i did not like the breakfast at all - very bad

bed comfy but very short

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Great place to stay very freindly and claean

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The neatness and hospitable employees

n/a

It was comfortable in general

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

I liked to seat in front of the fire and look at it. Where else you can do it at the airport hotel?

Transport facilities

Ean and quiet

Food,

Great service from the staff.

Really like the hotel

Location.comfort Nice location very quiet and peaceful

The rooms were dusty

Amazing comfortable beds.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was very average.

The restaurant dinner was surprisingly good.

Excellent restaurant

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was not always on time

Food was amaizing

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

It is in a very central location

Cleanliness

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

If it was full it might be a bit noisy

Safe, convenient location near airport and shops

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I liked the environment well secure

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room service was very good.

Nothing at all.

I loved everything in that hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

To have a fridge in the room.

Efficiency of staff was amazing

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

I only wish there was a bath tub or heated pool.

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Great and quiet getaway near OT airport. Nicer then the big hotels and worth the short drive into this quiet neighbourhood

the design of the hotel

the hotel atmosohere but the rooms and tolait too small

• Luxury Double or Twin Room

Rooms are not big, hotel is not new

Very goo restaurant - nice staff and delicious food, nice setting. Comfortable beds

Staff were friendly

Amazing Place. A must in greater Boksburg area. Outstanding Food and Wine list of highest quality.

Browse Afrique Boutique Hotel O.R. Tambo traveller photo gallery