Reviews of Albany Hotel 3 stars

Cnr. Smith Street and Albany Grove, 4001 Durban, South Africa

#48 of 54 hotels in Durban

WiFi is poor very poor

It’s extremely clean ...the 3 black girls at the reception are amazing with good service,accommodating guests with smile...their attitude is so positive with great energy

• Basic Triple Room

It's only network problem we were suffering to watch TV in fact not all chanels.

Albany Hotel is very neat, comfortable beds, croissants very flakey, humble staff....i hope i will visit again. Thank you

• Standard Double or Twin Room

we had to fetch the iron from the reception each time we wanted to use it and we would sometimes wait for it. the door card machine was also not working, we had to request the staff to keep opening the door each time we want to enter. upon booking they stated breakfast is included but when we got there this was not the case. they only provided two toilet rolls the whole weekend,

the room was comfy and very clean

• Basic Triple Room

The systems at the hotel were down when we arrived. We had to ask for extra towels as there weren't enough for 3 pax. We weren't told how the car park facility was costed.

Access to the hotel was good & staff friendly. Security personel very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I didn’t like the fact that my neighbors were banging and screaming the whole night until 01:30 a.m and I went down to the reception to report because I had to be up at 6:00 am for my own business. The receptionist/ security was sitting at the black couches drinking beer of Coz trying to hide it from me. We went upstairs together so he can stop the noise but I went in my room and he went to the door of my neighbors, waited for me to go inside my room and I didn’t but stood by the door and he could not see me. When he thought I was inside he went back to the lift then downstairs without saying anything to the girls that were disturbing other people. I did not sleep well that’s all I didn’t like. Cigarette smoke and weed also floated inbetween I’m not sure if it was the circulation of ventilation of the fans. The room was ok and clean. Breakfast was also not bad.

• Quad Room

The communication was not so good after booking,i constantly had to phone and ask if my payment was received or not,i was told to email my proof of payment,even after emailling,i had to phone again to confirm the payment,was told the staff working with payments are not available,i had to phone again the next few days,that was totally unacceptable

I liked the peaceful atmosphere,the hotel gave me the privacy and the peace of mind i needed.

• Basic Triple Room

very dated and in need of major refurbish. The electrics were very unsafe and way below the standard that would be required in UK. Electric unprotected cables running around walls. Loose plug connection boxes. Exposed wiring outside window, which as was raining at time was causing, sparking and risk of fire. family felt very unsafe.

very basic. glad we only stayed 1 night

• Basic Triple Room

Location is a bit dodgy. A lot of beggars outside. Did not feel safe. Parking location is poor and R200 deposit is meaningless. We also had to pay for parking which is nonsensical for guests who are staying at the hotel. Air conditioner in the room did not work. It was really hot, which would otherwise be great in winter but it felt really unbearable. We would have loved to keep windows open for fresh air but area seemed very unsafe and no burglar guards. Please improve on this aspect. The people who serve breakfast watch you like a hawk when you dish. I hated this. Give your guests space and the liberty to eat what and how they like. We paid for it! Terrible carpets. Please change them - they make the whole place look cheap.

Good, friendly staff. Nice rooms. Beautiful reception area.

• Quad Room

The door keys doesn't work most of the time, i understand the safety reasons but it i had to keep activating it without success at some point

The space and friendly stuff the fact that they checked us in at 7am without hAving to wait till 14:00 is everything

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the reception is looking modern and great but the rooms are very outdated, a change of design/furniture needed.

The reception.but sleep in a reception area.

• Family Room

The carpets in all the corridors on the 7th floor were really grubby and smelt, need replacing with tiles. The toilet in our tiny bathroom was leaking onto the floor. The tiles in the bathroom were covered in mildew, the card for access to the room did not work we had to go up and down to reception all the time to get another card. Very noisy there were people banging on the door of the next door flat and shouting early hours of the morning, we did not get much sleep; and had to drive nine hours the following day.

The bed was quite comfortable, but far too much noise to sleep from next door room and taxis hooting early hours of the morning.

• Family Room

The fact that family rooms are not divided. U sleep with the children in the same room. The toilet and bathroom is so squashed. U dont have space to move around. No cuttlery in the room for guests to use. The property is on the passage that smells awful, not safe lots of scary faces around. A bottle store or pub around. So in terms of safety i rate them 0%

I liked the hospitality and friendliness of the staff

• Quad Room

The parking is far, u pass through 2 night clubs on a spooky road to get to the spooky parking. I forgot my babys meds in the car and i had to get out of my pjs at night and dress up to walk down that road with drunks. You hear the noise from the nightclub all night :(

The room was clean and affordable

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The shower was too small with old towels.Even the table was with coffee stains from the previous guest.People were making noise in an extent that I didn't sleep well.

The staff was so friendly.

• Quad Room

LOCATION, ROOMS, BEDS WERE SAGGING. BATHROOM AND ROOMS NEED AN ENTIRE REVAMP. OLD, MUSTY AND DINGY.

TERRIBLE LOCATION, SURROUNDED BY SHADY BARS, BROTHELS AND DRUG USES. PARKING ALSO VERY UNSAFE, FEARED FOR THE SAFETY OF MY FAMILY. DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENED.

• Basic Triple Room

The shampoo/conditioner and body lotion ear in too little quantities. The tea facility it also in small amounts

Clean, friendly staff and close to everything

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I think they should get other bedding like duvets instead of all those sheets and the aircon in the room was a bit noisy

The room was clean and service was great, a special thanks to Tayline for making everything so convenient

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location was dangerous for tourists, staff seemed surprised at our arrival, room in disrepair, overall shabby and uninviting. were followed to secure parking down unsafe street.

The room wasn't ground floor, the showers were hot.

• Basic Triple Room

The shower head, cup were chipped thought it would be replaced after day out. Cups smell exactly the same as the detergents used in the bathroom basin. Had a 2yr old accompany me on the trip but I had to move kettle from the cupboard to floor to boil. Extremely dangerous

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Even though we requested early check in, I had to wait for three hours.

It is a beautiful, clean and quiet place. Perfect for a vacation, just that it is too far from the beach specially if you are travelling with kids.

• Basic Triple Room

The hotel is not close to the beach as advertised it's in the cbd on a busy street so you hear people shouting in front of the hotel all night and passing traffic, the bathroom was falling apart, there's a strong weird smell throughout the hotel, the rooms are extremely small and the beds are creaky, the hotel doesn't even have ice, you need to go next door at the tavern and pay 5 bucks for a pitcher of ice. The breakfast area is a mess hall reception couches are ancient it was a horrible experience.

Nothing at all

• Family Room

The area was disastrous. The parking was far away from the hotel and we had to walk through an alley with alot of drunks with our luggage and kids to get to the hotel. We could not go out cos we were afraid to walk out at night. Will never book there again and I tried cancelling and booking at another hotel but the hotel could not cos I booked through booking.com and wen I tried to call u guys I couldn't find a number and your website says my cancellation fees will he forfeited. But I wanted to contact you guys so I can cancel and get u guys to get me and my family a safer environment.

Rooms were neat that's about it. Bathroom was uncomfortable.

• Quad Room

Not much. Parhaps the view. Me and my families safey is a top priority and this hotel did not meet this expectation. If I feel unsafe, nothing else matters.

Nice hotel, but very poor/bad/unsafe location. I will never stay there again with my small children. Felt very unsafe anbd was too scared to leave our room after 17:00. No restaurant to order room service anbd poor selection of TV channels.

• Family Room

The check in process was not up to standard, the staff does not recognise guest as they walk in the door. No greetings nothing, even when you stand in front of them. You'll have to ask yourself for them to check you in😏

The reception Area was very clean

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed sheets were stained. Looked disgusting with dirty spots everywhere. Parking is to be paid yet the lot closes at 10pm when restaurants close at 10.30pm so you have to be back early. Rooms are not what is seen in picture !!

• Basic Triple Room

Unexpected cost on arrival, parking must be payed for R50, deposit of R200 for a parking token, this is not noted on your site or there’s 😡

Friendly staff

• Family Room

No parking,cwe were charged R100 a night and we had to wait for over two hrs to check in, the passage carpets are not cleaned, windows are dirty

The price was fair

• Basic Triple Room

The price was definitely good, however we were unable to use WiFi due to it being unsecured. Members of the public are literally leaning on the building just to get connected to your WiFi and that means that the guests will either get a slow response or nothing at all; and that was the case with us. Parking is a bit of an inconvenience as it is on a separate building. Tag was not working throughout but security was assisting when exiting or entering the parking area. TV channels are limited

Price was good Location is closer to most activities Staff is very professional, especially the lady that helped me to check-in

• Family Room

Nothing bad i have experienced

I had a wonderful time with my 3 kids service was excellent staff were friendly i would like to visit again and i can also refer my friends, breakfast was great, everything was good:)

• Basic Triple Room

We had the same sheets for 7 days. They need to buy irons and ironing boards. There was only one iron available at the propert and we had to wait for hours for others to finish using it. A hair dryer would be nice too

The beds were comfortable. The staff was amazing. The place was clean

• Quad Room

Nothing I am very happy and will always refer friends and family to the hotel

Thank you for the welcome. I never had any problems and loved the location as it made our time spent in Durban very pleasant Thank you

• Superior Queen Room - Disability Access

Please replace carpets in the corridors they have a funny unpleasant smell and seem very old. Bed in room that we used was not that comfortable. Windows in restaurant were not wiped/cleaned. Otherwise the stay was good given the rate charged so one cannot demand a lot.. Non-availability of parking is rather awkcward.

Rate was very reasonable. Security personnel and restaurant stuff were very friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

What i didnt like when rest room service like someone coming to clean house nocking at the door i should have for room service when i need one

It was close to shops and the view was perfect and transport stop close also close to ther ocean

Nothing.the room was not clean on the floor even bathrooms.we even call the cleaner to take dust from tables n side lambs stands.The air conditioning on room 39 was not working at all. The staff is not able to explain clear information.we are use that when you come to hotel staff orientate you and give information to the guests.

• Basic Triple Room

They don't clean they just make the bed without cleaning the floor not mopping under the beds and the one iron they have and we have to pay 10 rand in each item

Nothing expect the hot water

• Basic Triple Room

The carpet on the corridors needs replacement and its a bit noisy at night the guests turn to make a lot of noise and play loud music from their rooms. The reception number is not reachable.

I loved the central location and the parking security. The hotel is value for money, the rooms are clean and serviced daily. I enjoyed my stay

• Family Room

WiFi, couldn't access for long,it couldn't give signal nicely ,improve there

Everything abt the hotel ,its up to standard,the staff was awesome

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The reception during check inn was not impressive- we were send to a bedroom with a faulty TV- then we had to be moved to another one- in which we found unclean glasses in the bathroom- TV screen was also full of finger prints

not applicable

• Family Room

The wardrobe had a very bad smell that gave me a headache. The toilet was too too small and not that clean and fresh.Wifi was too slow and could not reach it from the rooms.

• Superior Queen Room - Disability Access

The lady in the front desk was not welcoming and friendly. Worse out of it all in the midnight around 01:30 am somebody tried to open our door and we jumped and pushed the door. He said he is a security he didn't know there are people in the room after that we couldn't sleep the whole night and nobody apologised about that.the tea was limited.

The room was comfortable and clean inside. And have everything we needed.

Nothing at all

Nothing at all because the attitude of staff make me leave at the reception.that attitude was bad.never in my life to book at albany hotel

• Family Room

People were lying on the sofa's at reception, waiting for a room. Staff informed me that the people are not checking out like they should. No room service available, were not informed of that beforehand, no wifi in room. could not even get something to drink. Had to leave the hotel and order food from debonairs.

Carpet was ditry,aircondition was not work. Ventilation was poor unable open the window. Dstv and WiFi was unavailable. We call for service regarding the Tv they promised to attend none of them show up.

Nothing everything was bad

• Basic Triple Room

Noise from other room next to us was just too much.That was very bad as I believe the wall in between is too thin . U can even hear the neighbours TV.

The beds was fine and the staff is very friendly and welcoming. The is permanently hot water at anytime u need to take ur bath.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroomvent made a noise and when asked to fix it, the manager on duty offered to disconnected the vent or other option was to get a full immediate refund and find another place when we booked way in advance???

• Family Room

the parking is too far and they close at 22:30 PM.

the bed were comfortable and the rooms were neat and clean , it was a great stay I will go again with my family .

• Quad Room

The room was too small we booked a four sleeper but we were given three sleepers. Our room was triple booked. The carpet in the passage doesn't smell good.

Couldnt watch Sport, I am a sportman, Remotes for TV on both rooms I payed for didnt work so I slept without entertainment.

Easy to find, good location, Parking was a bit of a problem with changes effected, 3 floor, good meals nice clean dining room with good food, 2 bedrooms at 3rd floor both TV remotes were dysfunctional

• Family Room

Staff doesn't help, hotel overbooked people slept on couches, Wi-Fi doesn't reach rooms

Only the reception area looks good nothing else after this

• Quad Room

The rooms were not properly clean, we were four people and had to keep asking for towels, toilet was leaking water and had a broken toilet seat. Wash basins was dirty, blind in bathroom was extremely dirty did not even want to touch it to lower it. Our door key stopped working and when we went to reception to reset it they just did a reset with out even asking whom we were, or verifying our names.

The only thing that was okay were the beds.

• Superior Queen Room - Disability Access

Leaking shower and bath taps, mouldy bathroom walls, no coat hangers and refurbishment of the furniture and carpet on the corridors may add a little sparkle

Centrally located. Staff was friendly, especially Esther the cleaning lady who went the extra mile to make our stay pleasurable

• Basic Triple Room

Paying for parking was noot a good experience. Most places offer free parking.

Great internet service. Staff people were wonderful especially Pumezo and Randy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

As the lift get busy I believe they need to clean up the stairs so that they can be used. Also the carpets on the lobby and the toilets on level 1 needs some renovation

The rooms are clean, and comfortable. The reception was warm and they really tried to solve all challenges we had. The breakfast is good and very reasonable

No comment

I like everything about the hotel,hygienic is at its best keep it up with cleanliness. Even when I had a problem with the door refusing to open, the staff were very friendly to help and it was sorted in time.I love the lounge setting. It's not far from the public places shops, taxis, beaches n more.Keep employing good working staff like the one u have currently. Thanks for your hospitality.

De fact dat des no food at night . I lost mi maroon jacket size xl n no one found it.

I liked everything. Lift in order though de was renovations de was no mess lying around

• Standard Double or Twin Room

They advertise restaurant but they dont say its only for breakfast. There is no hairdryer in rooms as adv, the bathrooms is not clean or fresh. There is no duvets on beds its a old blanket covered with a white sheet.

The reception is beautiful, but the rooms old fashioned and not smelling good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

When I got there they did not have a room for me so they gave me any room.there was no remote for the tv.my family washed in cold water .my phone call was attended to after 2hrs later

Near Mancosa

• Basic Triple Room

What's in rhe photos is not what you see.i think you must improve your cleanliness some places are not cleaned. Improve that and the place is far from the beach.

• Basic Triple Room

Couldn’t connect to their WIFI, has aircon problems. Only two channels on tv. Single ply tissues. No body wash provided. Only small lotion and shampoo.

Staff friendliness, clean room.

• Quad Room

The room was not to my expectations ,the room next to mine was much better ,view was not so bad .just felt out when I booked in and the system said there is a payment outstanding but it was sorted quickly

• Quad Room

Ironing services I called at reception for an iron I was told to cum and fatch it. Breakfast not much choices from the hot.

I liked the room beds were comfy. Staff are helpful at all times.

• Superior Queen Room - Disability Access

The room I got was nothing like the room I saw in the pictures when I booked. The room was really dark plus there wasn't any smoking area or balcony.

The staff is really friendly and always willing to assist where they can.

• Basic Triple Room

the fan in the bathroom very dusty, the morning or evening when you would use the light the bathroom or your clothes would be covered in dust. The foyer to the rooms should be upgrade to make it look more modern

I did not like the dustiness of the room and it made me uncomfortable. The room was clean but I was not comfortable with the fact that I could still see dust in corners and it seems that your staff is not keeping the place very clean as they only clean areas people see but behind doors and on the floor and your skirtings were very dusty. Your carpets are also very dirty and the dust is not something I can stand. The area or location of the actual hotel is not very nice as the hotel itself seems nice but the surroundings are a bit sketchy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms must be checked before guests arrive. The smell of our room and the passege it was unbearable

Just reception area and staff. The smell of the carpet is unbearable . Rooms must be checked before guests arrive

• Quad Room

We checked in at mid-day, parked our car at the paid parking (the guard at the parking was asleep and another guy tried to help us, during this the guard woke up and was extremely rude to us) and left to watch a cricket match. We got back at around 9pm. We needed to get our bags from the car and the walk from the parking area to the hotel did not feel safe at all! We got to our room for the first time since checking in and it smelt stuffy and like urine. The toilet had been used and left unflushed! We had to call reception to ask for a remote for the tv and 2 towels as we were only given 2 yet we booked for 4 people. At this time we notified the staff about the unflushem toilet and the lady simply said 'Oh, well that's not good hey' and that was that... We may have not paid an arm and a leg but we paid a good enough amount to atleast get good service and cleanliness.

The reception staff were very nice and friendly upon checking in and out, however, when we called about finding an unflushed toilet we didn't get a very concerned response.

• Basic Triple Room

Firstly I had issues with payments. Breakfast was not so nice the other days.....we had to settle for toast and jam The bedding was old and that and not white anymore Hotel is situated on a very convenient place. Public transport was easy available

Breakfast was very nice the Sunday 20th Jan 2019 when I arrived there, but all the other days it was not so nice. Staff was friendly enough to make eggs for me on request. Room was cleaned everyday - what a lovely lady we had

• Basic Triple Room

meals. at least if more variety of food could be served. increase different fruit and vegetables.

location of the hotel, situated in a quiet place, next to the harbor. public transport is always availabe value for money. staff friendliness and well organized. i realized that the hotel has good relation with shuttle services.

• Quad Room

We were only Given 6 sarchets of sugar and the was 4 of us when we requested for more they told us there is none

The bed was comfortable but didn't see any croissant

• Basic Triple Room

Needs to improve on cleaning especially the bathrooms.

The stuff is well trained and welcoming! My personal favorites was the kitchen stuff. Keep it up guys.

• Quad Room

Bed very very uncomfortable, floor making strange noise when walking, windows making noise - wind (need to be sealed properly), people downstairs (Tarven) making noise and shouting.

Bar Fridge

• Family Room

Everything about the hotel, wouldn't recommend it to anyone, cheap isn't always good!

The room was very dirty, the mattresses are sagging in the middle, had cockroaches in our room and the bathroom was small and too stuffy. The place is next to night clubs so you can hear all the noise at night.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The space in the room was too small including the shower. You pay for the iron, they don't answer phone calls, no remote for t.v. and aircon phones not working

Close to town.

• Basic Triple Room

Their free WiFi does not work, and their breakfast was too limiting, did not have variaty of choice for breakfast, I was disappointed

Their rate is affordable,and the room for me and my partner was perfect for us.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room didn't smell fresh but a bit mouldy and the bedside lights didn't work; the bathroom wasn't clean enough

The wifi was great and fast and the staff were friendly

Browse Albany Hotel traveller photo gallery