Reviews of Apple Tree Guest House 4 stars

6 Paul Kruger Street, 7600 Stellenbosch, South Africa

#28 of 76 B&Bs and Inns in Stellenbosch

Perfect location, great service, comfortable home from home feel
    • Luxury Room

The only thing that was avery slight annoyance was the nearby barking dogs. Ear plugs resolve the problem.

Flexible on check in to allow for our late arrival and superb communication to make it easy. Safe, quiet (apart fro a few barking dogs) and secure. Great breakfast, wonderful staff, friendly, cosy and well located just a short drive or 15 min walk to town. Great side of town if you want to head to Franschhoek region! Breakfast was excellent - not only a selection of cereals, meats, cheeses & fruit - but a cooked breakfast of choice from a small option. The fire was a real treat in the winter cold & wet.

Ok room

Whole location feels cramped: room with the luggage that we had, pool area, parking. WiFi in the room is intermittent. We did not feel comfortable in the surrounding area

Ok room

Exactly what we wanted and some more.

Everything met our expectations; Nolene & Michael were warm and welcoming, breakfast was top class and service staff friendly. Will recommend Apple Tree.

The most important one to me is the whole staff, they were...

The most important one to me is the whole staff, they were so accommodating from the reception upon arrival to breakfast room. They made us feel welcomed and at anytime. Oh we met a foreign couple who also stayed at Apple, they were wonderful people too. My daughter who is studying at the university there, very fussy. She joined us for breakfast on the 1st day. Following day we thought she wont come for breakfast, maybe she saw something we did not see, to our suprized she called and told us she is coming to have breakfast with us. For her even to return that says a lot about your food too. Thank you Elsie-JHB

One night stay for business

This is the second time that I stay here and again it is nice staying here. Apple Tree is in the quiet part of town but not to far from the CBD and streets full of little eateries. The facilities are very upmarket.

Great staff and lovely breakfast.

A little on the expensive side compared to other properties in the area.

This was a nice place to stay. Staff very helpful and friendly. Great breakfast.

A home from home in Stellenbosch!
    • Luxury Room

Honestly, I can't think of a single bad thing about our stay! It's a tad far out from the center of Stellenbosch, but that's what Uber is for.

Noeline and Michael were the warmest and most helpful staff, they really made us feel at home, and were happy to recommend places to eat, visit and nearby wineries. I couldn't recommend them more!

Solid stay and friendly cleanly guesthouse.
    • Luxury Room

Mosquitoes where pretty bad and we only found the mozzy pads as we were leaving. Would have been useful to tell us to expect them! Orange juice at breakfast was Oros cordial.

Very clean big room. Team organised bottle of champagne for us to celebrate our engagement. Friendly staff. Welcoming and keen to help us improve our stay!

Dont stay here!

The place is old. A lot if moscitos!!!! The matress is terribale! The pillows are terrible also.. its pricy! Poor breakfest! Dont stat here! The pool isnt clean..the room not cleabln too

1 night stay in Stellenbosch

Relaxed atmosphere, staff very helpful & accommodating. Room was clean, they were so concerned that we did not have time to have the breakfast included in accommodation. Was nice to be able to sit outside at the pool in the evening

Location, friendliness, willingness to help and assist with any queries & good value for money

A friendly home away from home

As some other reviewers have mentioned, we had issues with mosquitos. We went to quite a lot of effort to deal with the mosquitos but somehow more would get into our room each night, disrupting our sleep. There was a lot of dust in our room, particularly accumulated around the television, air conditioning unit etc. The included wi-fi was also patchy and unreliable, with the internet constantly dropping out.

Apple Tree is a lovely little guest house and the staff were so friendly and helpful, making sure we we had all the advice we needed about where to go and what to see. The location is a short walk into the centre of Stellenbosch, although with my partner pregnant we chose to drive rather than walk around. The swimming pool is nice and it was good to have a secure parking space for our hire car each night. The included breakfast was a nice way to start each day.

Fabulous gem in the midst of Stellenbosh

Great location, facilities and fabulous breakfast with the friendliest staff! Highly recommend and if I’m ever in SA again will make a point of staying here again!

The breakfast was delicious, rooms comfortable, and the service was the best. Thanks.

The water in the shower never heated up in the very short time I needed to take a shower due to the water scarcity.

Service was fantastic and your hospitality was out of this world. Thanks for arranging the wine tasting tour. Gustav was great.

Enjoyed our stay at Apple Tree Guest House and would probably go back if revisiting Stellenbosch.
    • Luxury Room

The pool area was a bit small and enclosed but it was very clean.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and had everything we needed. The owner went the extra mile for us and suggested and booked excellent restaurants. The breakfasts were very good.

Friendly staff, good breakfast, but could be smarter

The bedroom was a bit dated,and the whole place could do with a kick of paint. Also, it's far enough out of Stellenbosch town to mean you have to Uber in and out at night.

Comfy bed and good breakfast. Michael on reception couldn't have been more helpful in booking dinner on town for us.

Perfect!

I cant say I disliked anything :)

A very enjoyable stay, staff were helpful, and even helped me as I left my passport behind, Michael very very helpful, thank you Michael. Beautiful place to stay very clean and friendly. Would definatly recommend

Our stay and the facilities were lovely, but we had hardly...

Our stay and the facilities were lovely, but we had hardly cheched out when they were scrambling to get into our room to check, I don't know what. I felt like they didn't trust us.

The owner and the staff are lovely and very helpful.

The owner and the staff are lovely and very helpful. The area is very quiet and you get to the center within a few minutes - with Uber even faster. Breakfast is very individual and delicious.

Pretty Guest House with wonderful staff and food

Nothing - it was perfect!

Very pretty guest house with helpful and kind staff who went above and beyond-thank you for the ironing! Pool was a lovely bonus and the breakfasts were delicious!

Lovely guesthouse!

We have no complaints at all, the rooms were clean and well equipped with for example a mini bar. Very welcoming staff who answered all our questions and helped us with restaurant reservations etc, delicious breakfast buffet and fast WiFi. All and all a great experience! :)

Cute Hotel

Swimming pool looked a bit dirty (mainly leaves and branches) so I am not sure if anyone would actually go in but overall nice pool area.

Decent hotel with good facilities and nice breakfast. Reception staff (owners) were nice and helpful. Not in the middle of the city centre but close enough.

Quality of breakfast was excellent. Disappointed in the size and lack of view in the room

Small room for the the price. Looking at a wall. Old carpet.

Excellent hospitality, great breakfast. Lots of fresh fruits. Excellent service at breakfast also.

Good choice for a short stay

The pool is quite small and the design of the room a bit tacky (just not our Style).

Breakfast was great and we got a lot of tips for restaurants and wine testing locations

Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff.

Location was OK but quite a long walk from the centre of Stellenbosch.

Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. Great breakfast. Very comfortable rooms.

Great place to stay with excellent staff and an awesome breakfast!

Beautiful setting and the breakfast was amazing! Staff was exceptional offering excellent options for dining and attractions in the area. I would highly recommend this property.

It was a serendipitous discovery!

Pretty place with all that you need for a comfortable overnight stay. Breakfast was delicious. Host very friendly. Centrally situated in a quiet cul-de-Sac with secure parking. Would definitely come back again.

A day of wine appreciation !!.
    • Luxury Room

Great room and facilities in this small guest house, walking distance to the town centre. Owners very helpful with restaurant choice and booking and taking time to review our travel plan giving local knowledge and help.

Beautiful accommodation within the city center - felt like...

We had a one night stay close to the airport so there was nothing more we could heave wanted!

Beautiful accommodation within the city center - felt like an oasis of calm. Noelene was so welcoming and accommodating. She organised a restaurant for us last minute and recommended wineries to visit. The accommodation was so comfortable and clean. The breakfast well prepared. Thank you to all the staff involved.

Great value for a small establishment.

You couldn't fault this place

Cosy lounge and dining area, warmed by a huge double fireplace. Owners and staff were super helpful and friendly. Wonderful breakfasts, with excellent selection of food to choose from. Great taxi service offered.

The honesty bar , I spent all my time looking at the...

Although I had booked the evening meal they had no record , we were able to order dinner from an outside source and the staff quickly laid up a table for us so it was not really a problem .

The honesty bar , I spent all my time looking at the battlefield artifacs .

A beautiful day in wine country

Very comfortable rooms. Nice breakfast. Friendly staff. Was given two recommendations for dinner by management. We chose one, they made the reservation for us and it was truly excellent.

Will stay here again.
    • Luxury Room

There is nothing I didn't like.

I cannot tell you about the breakfast as I had to leave early to attend a meeting but judging by the rest of the Guest House I am sure it was 100%. I arrived very late (after 7 pm) and the owner was still waiting for me for which I was very grateful.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Excellent Guesthouse In Every Aspect!!

Everything was perfect!

Impeccable attention to detail; warm, friendly welcome; gourmet breakfast ( to include homemade cookies, bread, and biscotti! ); superb, quiet location; and simply wonderful staff!

Great home base for our hike/wine trip

Cute little room with everything we needed. The breakfasts were wonderful and included an amazing fresh buffet and hot choices to order. The breakfast room attendant was gracious and lovely. The courtyard was beautiful, but unfortunately, we didn't get to spend time there.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Not a memorable stay
    • Luxury Room

My room was near noisy Reception & Kitchen. Woken up by train hooting,dogs barking. Noisy neighbourhood.Room had mouldy spots. Outside of building in front (fence) needs painting and attention.I was disappointed when I saw outside of building.

Breakfast and relaxing by pool. Hiking in Stellenbosch.

Fabulous place, a real gem!

Not much. My room was a little noisy at the front of the guest house but I gather the rooms around the pool are quieter.

Fabulous staff, with Renee being the real gem. The location is fabulous and they couldn't have been more helpful. The bedrooms were beautifully laid out with lots of nice home comforts. Great value for what you get.

Found solution for late check in.

Battled with mosquitos in the room. The water in the shower drain very slowly.

Found solution for late check in. Breakfast was great. Room had plenty of room.

Fantastic stay with a friendly welcome!

The swimming pool is unheated so "chillly" at this time of year. But I braved it anyway!

Lovely stay at this friendly and well appointed guest house. Was made to feel welcome from the minute I walked through the door. I also had the opportunity to meet and socialise with other guests which was lovely. Great attention to detail and I was sorry to leave.

Easy comfortable stay

the prices in the bar fridge were totally over priced, would have appreciated been given a complimentary water.

It was a quick stay but it was all that we needed, breakfast was very good

Comfortable and practical for a place to rest your head close to town

Nothing I didn't like about the place, it was well priced and delivered a great "place to put your head" and was conveniently close to town

The room and bathroom were a nice size and the breakfast and staff were lovely

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

A wonderful start to our holiday.

No complaints at all.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed and we enjoyed sitting by the pool for breakfast and In the evenings. The breakfasts were amazing, the best we had in my opinion. Just one thing...beware the mosquitos. We got eaten alive the first evening sitting by the pool. Not something the owner can control and they do provide spray etc in the room but go prepared for the outside. We didn't!

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Short Stay in Stellenbosch

We arrived at 2pm and were told we were too late for a wine tour. We got a taxi to Spier though which was fine but cost a bit to get there and back. At 8pm we were going to walk the 1km to were the restaurants were or get a taxi but no taxis were available when we rang one and we were told by a male guest that it was not safe for two women to walk at that time as it was dark. That man then offered to give us a lift he was very kind). When we came out of a bar at 12 midnight, it was like a ghost town and we could not get a taxi back to the guest house. We stood for 40 minutes and eventually had to ask a security man what we should do. He ended up giving us a lift and we paid him. He was very kind. We had no cards on us to even try and set up an uber account which seems to be what people use over there so take note!

The Apple Tree Guest House was nice. The other people staying there were quite friendly too. Staff were very helpful. The room was nice. Location I am not sure about as I probably did not stay long enough. We stayed for one night only.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Lovely B&B in Stellnbosch

This was a really lovely property with rooms laid out nicely around a pool (well lit in the evening). Room was a good size with comfortable bed and bathroom was a decent size too. Breakfast was generous and all staff were friendly and helpful. There was nothing not to like and for us the 10 minute walk to the centre was just right.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Nice place
    • Luxury Room

A bit further from the town center we had expected - 15 mins walk or a short taxi ride.

Friendly, helpful staff. Nice spacious clean room. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Very helpful front desk and breakfast was pretty ok.

Mosquitoes in room no matter what we did. Also next time I wouldn't stay so central as everything is rather near anyhow and the winery's have some beautiful stayovers.

Very helpful front desk and breakfast was pretty ok. It felt more like a youth hostel that I stayed in in Australia but without the atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

3.5
    I was treated like an animal at that place and I am thinking...

I was treated like an animal at that place and I am thinking of suing them. I was late coming back from a wedding for a check out and by the the time I got to the property I found my room open with all my stuff gone. When I asked I was told my stuff were packed for me and I should pay and get out. The lady of the place was extremely nice when I arrived so you can understand my shock! The son of the lady who also works there started threatening me that if I don't get out of the property he would call the police on me! Again, you can imagine my shock! I asked what went wrong and if I had done anything to deserve the animalistic treatment I got but no answer to that. Further more, the son started shouting and threatening me he would throw my suitcase outside and at that moment I was looking for a hotel and an uber. He literally came to where I was sitting in the dining area and was in my face like he wanted to hit me. I am greatly disappointed, disrespected and hurt. Hawa Makongoro.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Lovely guest house, excellent value for money, all you could need, incl pool

Having to move on to next resort without having used the pool!

Michael runs a fabulous establishment. Lovely rooms beautifully decorated. Great breakfast served by friendly staff who happily go the extra mile. He and Noeline are very knowledgeable about the area and happy to recommend restaurants, as well as book them if you require. Easy walk into Stellenbosch in the day or evening. Pointed out a minor fault in room & 5 mins later it was being attended to - super service. Happy to stay again if in Stellenbosch area.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

We expected something nicer

The room was the smalest we had in our entire journey in South Africa. WC leaking, suitcase rack almost collapsed. Looks onto a wall. Very small pool area. Furniture and carpeting are aged. Overall, we were disapppinted because of the positive ratings.

The guesthouse House is located within walking distance to Stellenbosch. Friendly personnel.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Home from home - excellent, friendly and helpful staff

Great staff - Noreen the owner gave us some great suggestions for places to visit - excellent breakfasts - very convenient for centre of Stellenbosch and wine region

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Welcoming!

Location good, very close to city centre Stellenbosch by taxi (20ZAR) but a bit too far (unsafe) to walk at night. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Good facilities, swimmingpool and delicious breakfast.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

A very good lodge in Stellenbosch for a reasonable price.
    • Luxury Room

The ladies serving breakfast vere lovely and the breakfast was very good. Large and comfortable room and a very large and clean bathroom. The pool was small but very good. Walking distance (10-15 minutes) to village with a lot of restaurants. Felt also very safe. Helpful staff. A/C in the room available.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Great and friendly staff and excellent breakfast

Unfortunately the rooms are quite small and our room which was located near reception and restaurant was a bit noisy. It does not matter as long as you are aware of it.

Great and friendly staff and excellent breakfast Location is great :) This is a good choice if you are not intending to spend time in your accommodation place, just need a comfortable overnight stay and as bonus get a lot of useful tips! Value for money

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Good place for an overnight in the winelands

The aircon leaked water during the night, but when we informed the owner, he addressed the matter in a way that we were satisfied with. Will go again.

Beautiful venue. Friendly staff. Comfortable rooms.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Excellent place to stay.
    • Luxury Room

Minor point: The Mattress in our room was a bit firm for our liking.

Everything was very good. We had a large comfortable room, lovely bathroom and the welcome from the owner, Michael, was good. He arranged a dinner booking for us and advised to go to the Sunday market at Blauwklippen - a good recommendation. The breakfasts were superb and the trio of ladies who prepared and served were a delight. Would definitely stay here again in Stellenbosch.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Pool and outdoor chill out space

Air conditioning unit in room 8 over our head. Waking up with sound. Maybe move to another wall. thank you.

Love the pool and décor, staff and the owner. Lovely people in attendance. All fabulous.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Noelene was very welcoming and very helpful with wine tips...

If you prefer window open to air conditioning on at night be prepared for mosquitoes.

Noelene was very welcoming and very helpful with wine tips and general information. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was varied and delicious.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Lovely breakfast out by the pool in the sunlight - wonderful...
    • Luxury Room

Our room was next to reception, so from early in the morning we could hear someone talking outside and people going in and out. There was also a dog that barked a lot, keeping us awake.

Lovely breakfast out by the pool in the sunlight - wonderful smiling staff. Comfortable bed, nicely furnished, stylish bathroom.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

The Jewel of Stellenbosch
    • Luxury Room

Excellent vegetarian spread. The owners really go out of their way to ensure that every guest has a memorable stay. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Centrally situated.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

The host was extremely welcoming and friendly, and provided...
    • Luxury Room

The host was extremely welcoming and friendly, and provided very useful information about places to visit. The guest house felt very homely. It is a longer walk into the town centre than I realised but very easy if you have a car.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

The Apple Tree exceeded our expectations!

We liked everything!

My husband and I loved our stay at the Appletree Guesthouse! Michael and all of the staff were wonderful. The house and facility was beautiful and the breakfast was delicious. Everyone was so helpful, made us feel so welcome and like we were their friends! We stayed two nights and then left to go up the Garden Route. We wanted to stay again on our way back through Stellenbosch but they were full. We definitely will stay there again if we ever are back in South Africa! Thank you Michael Renee and Hazel for all of your kindness and warmth. Meghan and Jerry from Minnesota

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Everything.
    • Luxury Room

Everything. Staff is brilliant and the room was amazing, they take great care of you. Room is beautiful with a massive bathroom fit for a queen. Will be back again and again

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Nice enough.

Distance to 'downtown' was not too far, but it was not a very pleasant walk. Location is close to a busy road as well as a railroad, so one must keep the windows closed!

Staff was very helpful, breakfast was wonderful and wifi was excellent.

The host was very friendly and readily helped with possible...

That the Queen sized bed was in fact two separate single beds, leading to a gaping hole in between every night.

The host was very friendly and readily helped with possible markets, places etc. to go and view and enjoy.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

The staff was amazing

The weather it made me stay indoors all day but everything was perfect

It was a very great place witch I have recommended It to my friends and I'll be making it my own get away place since my girlfriend is now living in capetown i also loved the staff

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Nice place for short term visit

Internet isn't fast, cleaning lady ask for money when I wanted to leave (not a professional way!) , bed sheets towels didn't chage for long time

Very close to city centre, comfortable beds , quite and safe area, owner was understanding and helpful,

Nice, centrally located

Nice, centrally located

Great guesthouse

Great Breakfast

We will can back to be in that Guest House for more days

We liked everything in the place and the friendship of the owners.

Great stay will book again

Friendly staff, good breakfast and neat and clean.

Great value for money.

Staff is very friendly.

The breakfast was excellent and the staff great.

There are mosquitos in the room, but the property provide repellent.

The breakfast was excellent and the staff great.

Good breakfast, friendly Staff!
    • Luxury Room

Good breakfast, friendly Staff!

sunny, bright and comfortable

the breakfast portions were tiny

friendly and helpful at check in and check out

Basic