Reviews of Balmoral Hotel 4 stars

125 Marine Parade, Beach Road, 4001 Durban, South Africa

#37 of 54 hotels in Durban

Beautiful, cozy and comfy hotel
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The security could have been a bit friendly. The minute I entered the hotel at night he just asked me the room number, didn't even greet me. I understand he was probably doing his job??? but he made me feel like i did something wrong

The room was very clean and comfy and had everything I needed i.e. the iron and iron board, air con, kettle, hair dryer etc. The reception staff were also very friendly and accommodating of my needs

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

What a weekend i had 😂😘😋😉🙏
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The safety & the communication from the hotel staff... I've enjoyed my self & i will recommend the hotel to my family & friends

Enjoyed the stay especially the nice king size bed!!
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The wooden floors under the carpets should be removed. It makes the floors uneven...

We loved the helpful and friendly staff. We were welcomed with an lovely ice cold apple juice.

Just average but it was comfortable
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Our booking ddnt include breakfast which was not stated when i booked. The smell of the carpet was awful. The Tv was not working.

The location and security

Not coming back again.
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

Room was not properly clean, linen looks dull and old.....and there were no towels in the room. Everytime he to request towels and they were sent late....

It's closer to beach and all the city attraction.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

I loved the staff.

Nothing at all

I loved the staff. Very helpful and courteous. All my problems were resolved in no time. They also know their roles in the tourism sector on how to treat guests.

well the stay was great and i would go back for another holiday there
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

i didn't like the set up of the way we were to use the kettle and fridge. i think it's best if you could have a double plug for the use of that facility.

the bed was comfy enough for me.

It was ok
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The noise from outside in my room. It was cold at night...wind piercing through the Windows Hated being cold...the worst that can happen to me

The conviniece of the location

It was comfortable for the price. Value for money.
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The bathrooms where not up to my standards. When u have 2 people sharing a room you might need to put extras like airfreshner, swabs and bathroom cleaner to clean the tub so that u can bath comfortably one after the other and you can use the toilet comfortably knowing u can spray airfreshner after using it.

Free wifi and when I asked to be changed to a room with a twin bed it was done promptly at no extra cost. The staff was pleasant

Lovely place with honest staff.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Towels are old, they need to invest in new ones

The staff was very friendly. One attendant by name of Sibonelo proved that honest still exists, I forgot my purse in a car with over R1000, he knocked at my door to hand in my purse with everything intact. I recommend balmoral

Disappointed
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

Durban beachfront is no longer tourist friendly. Reserved off-street parking means go find your own. Breakfast over priced. Hotel policy requires that everything is paid for immediately, and cannot be charged to your room. Makes you feel like a criminal.

Decent dinner Chef.

i would definitely recommend balmoral to people
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

having to pay for breakfast..wish u could include it in the booking cause its quiet pricey and most hotels offer breakfast to guests

the sea view..excellent

Great location, poor service
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

When we arrived, no one helped us with our bags, they just stared at us. During the 4 nights we stayed there the staff never greeted us when we crossed paths. Also, we ordered room service (a slice of cake and apple juice) and it took about an hour to get our food ( after following up twice).

The location was great because it was close to the beach. The breakfast was also good.

Worst 4 star motel south of the equator
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Filthy towels in the bathroom, and blood stains on the bed, it was obviously not cleaned after the previous guests left. Curtains were filthy and the rail broken so the curtain could not close. Housekeeping came to change the torn linen on one bed, after I requested same, and thereafter I saw the blood stains on my bed, they had 3 different duvet covers of which oy one was propperly cleaned, and that was used. I requested a quite room and was located right next to noisy children, the reception was requested 3 times to assist with the noisy guests to no avail. The night manager refunded the second night that i pre booked, I reauested a refund for the night we endured as I was the only guest that could take a shower and dried myself with a hand towel as it was the only one not stained or filthy.

Nothing. I requested a refund.

My experience
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

People parking cars and making noise in front of the hotel around midnight

The bed was comfy the room was clean and smelling fresh and the sheets were crisp clean

Proximity to the beach
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Very thick carpets in the rooms. Not sure how often they do a deep clean. Had to take antihistamines to make it through the night.

Proximity to the beach

Durban Beachfront
    • Executive Family Room

Constant Noise from the merry makers at the fun fair on the Beachfront could not be blocked out We had scaffolding and painters in front of our window blocking our view of the ocean

Proximity to our Surf contest at New Pier. Parking Good size room

We had a pleasant stay, it is one of the most peaceful hotels
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

I had to pay for my breakfast and my partner got it for free. I blame it on booking.com and me. Only 1 guest was expected I dnt know what happened😏

Location, facilities, sanitation, food (halal)

My stay was awesome
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

When you're in shower the water flows out and the shower doesn't have door, so I don't know maybe it was only my room 128

The bed was clean and their pillows were comfortable

Awesome location. Good clean rooms .
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

Group of girls??.A pleasant and comfortable hanging out on the side walk through the early hours of the morning ..making a lot of noise ..was disturbing.

The breakfast chef was very pleasant and made our scrambled eggs with onion and chilli exactly as we requested. Had lamb sausages for people who don't eat pork or beef.

Always willing to assist and the stuff is professional.
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

Parking offsite posed a risk of damage. I sustained a scratch as my car was taken offsite and no idea who scratched.

Always willing to assist and the stuff is professional.

It was not superb but ok
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The TV had no signal for two nights, I was not impressed. The bed had two mattresses put together with a sheet and the guy who checked me in was not friendly or welcoming.

The location and the friendly receptionist who checked me out

Super fun
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

Some of the stuff were not very welcoming or helpful during breakfast.

Breakfast was on point and the room was very comfy and clean. Reception attended to my need ASAP. Overall perfect venue for my husband's birthdaycation.

Superb
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

However, i'm not sure if outside food is allowed or not into the rooms because even though there was a notice that it wasnt allowed, people brought their own food.

Everything was 100% ....

Enjoyable stay, hotel is not without its foibles but left with an overall favourable impression
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Evening buffet very limited - not worth ordering Breakfast buffet sufficient but limited This is an old property and has old property issues (creaky floorboards, temperamental plumbing) Some will see as part of the charm, some as annoying inconveniences. If you think you are in the latter category then best to book elsewhere

A quiet drink or snack on the terrace watching the world go by was a very pleasant experience Helpful restaurant staff Location was convenient for me

Bad experience.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

There was a desk in the room but no study lamp to use to work on my computer. I was made to pay for a dinner when I checked out when I had already paid for the dinner the night before. The waiter had insisted that I had to pay for the dinner as nothing from the restaurant was to be charged to the room. on checking out I was forced to pay for it again. I asked for coffee and the waiter tried to serve me instant coffee . I refused it and he gave a nasty attitude.

stay for your money, breakfast from heaven
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

nothing with time they just need to change the furniture as it is good but old

excellent location and clean rooms and their breakfast is from heaven big up to the chef

Durban is amazing however hotel needs an upgrade
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The room had two single beds even though I requested a double bed, the room service was poor and the food offered by the restaurant not up to standard. No extra blanket and there was a lot of noise throughout the night. Parking is horrible, runs out almost daily

Staff friendliness and location is amazing. I loved the breakfast options.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and hope to return!!
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

Staff were friendly and professional; Great breakfast; Perfect location next to the beach; Easy access to public transport and a walking distance to town

ok.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

There were no complementary water bottles in the room. Poor wifi network in rooms.

For a 4 star hotel I expected the hotel to provide complementary water bottle especially during the period of water cuts. The wifi-network is very poor in the rooms.

wonderfull experience

none

Both rooms, reception and breakfast area were spacious and clean. Let’s not forget about the breakfast and dinner, it was great. All staff members were friendly and helpful throughout the stay not forgetting their smiles. They definitely turned our anniversary an unforgettable memory. That is the best experience I had. We look forward to visit again and not forget to refer others so they can experience a wonderful life.

awesome and we will visit again
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

There can be more parking available but the patron at the gate (unfortunately i dont remember his name) was excellent Very friendly and efficient

I love the easy access to the hotel I did not have any trouble with finding the hotel The parking was convienient

not sure if I would stay again and was very uncomfortable because mostly of the no food sign.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

1. The lift is too small and slow to respond to calling 2. The bathroom has no ventilation and only two towels and no towel to stand on after bath of shower. 3. Rooms are too small for the price and the bed remains 2 single beds put together 4. The worst part is forcing people to buy from the hotel not considering that other people are on a budget. this makes travellers very uncomfortable and reconsider using the facility. 5. The hotel is also not family friendly

Its clean and the linen is very clean and its quiet

My stay was good overall...
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The remote provided wasn't the default remote for the flat screen Tv and worse it had ran out of batteries, i did report this but got no help. Had to use my laptop for movies.

Breakfast was amazing....

Not my first choice next time.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

A very old interior and facilities. The room had no proper shower. Only bathtub with a shower. My mother could not enter and use it. The TV did not have the expected, normal, channels. Just a couple of local.

The staff was very nice.

Very good
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The door keeper at Main Door, they treat/ look at you like an insect that’s coming to bother them

Reception- the guy that offers drinks at check in stage

No longer a good bet for Indaba.

It is not safe , especially the day that Indaba ended - there were ugly scenes outside the hotel and the staff did nothing to notify the police. The breakfast was not great Wi-fi non functional , I could not do any work despite reporting the situation to the front desk.

The bed was comfy

A super hotel with a good breakfast and friendly staff right opposite the beach.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Parking facilities were extremely limited

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the food was all halaal and being Muslim this was a big plus for me. It should be mentioned on the hotel profile as it is a very important aspect for most people.Also the bathroom was very well equipped with shampoos and shower gels. Staff were super helpful and friendly too and the breakfast was excellent!

Staff were poilite and sympathetic but toothless to assist...
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Mangement on duty were toothless to fix some complaints and seemed uncaring even disdainful - Room was not ready on arrival - no towels or water jug in room - Room was not yet made up well after 13H00 on next day - There was no meaningful internet connection for 4 days & no IT technician was available to alter this. Internet speed download was 0.24Mbps and upload 0.08Mbps - essentially unuseable for work purposes never mind leisure purposes. - Parking was advertised but was not available at the hotel. It had been arranged off site - The Shower was the in the bath type. A button needed to be pressed on the mixer to activate shower. When taps were turned off the water still flowed in a meaningful stream; malfunction the whole 4 day stay - Sadly the morning after a beef curry meal for evening dinner I developed "Gippo-guts" A very real shame - I put it down to very poor uncaring un-involved management ( just my opinion)

Staff were poilite and sympathetic but toothless to assist with our complaints and issues.

Excellent value for money in a prime location. I couldn't be happier.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

A certain gentleman by the name of Mongezi went above and beyond his duty to assist friends of ours who were travelling with us. Very friendly and helpful staff.

good stay, for the short time
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

there were baby cockroaches in the bathroom. very very bad. didn't like that at all. I didn't see big ones so that helped. the breakfast did not have a variety. but what I did eat was good chicken nuggets were cold and hard

It was a good , stay.. staff were very helpful beds were clean and comfy

WELL DONE BALMORAL*****
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

I think for kind of service I received the parking must be attended to. My total discomfort although it was in control was having to park away from the Hotel. This matters for the kind of service received. I had to go all the way down to fetch stuff that I have forgot. Please receive it as constructive

I was treated exceptionally well especially by staff Noma and Hlengiwe. The security's Sanele Danie and Siyanda were at service. Well done guys.

Well done Balmoral
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The valet service was excellent. I did not expect a valet service. The portet also took my bags to my room whilst I was checking in. The check in service wad very smooth. We were even offered beverages when we checked in. All in all The Balmoral is an excellent hotel. I would definately stay there again.

Average stay
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

When we arrived the lock on the door didnt work,waited 15 mins for a fix outside the door with my bags.sink was chipped,bathroom tap loose n faulty. Breakfast was average the chef didnt understand what i am satig to him. There was no parking. The tv channels didnt work backwards to change channels

The room was comfortable.

Had a gr8t tym there😍😍😍
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

I lost my selfie stick n i reported to them but did not pay any attention at all

It a very nice place to be at. But they do not pay attention when u report that u have lost something that u left in room. But as for the place it very good

Great hotel a few steps from the beach
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

There's not much parking at the hotel I ended up parking in the street

Great hotel just a walk from the beach. It is located centrally and within reach of all amenities

Had a bad experience last time we were there, but this time was great!
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

No smoking rooms any more. Would have had breakfast if the Hotel had proper bacon.

Ronny the waiter is wonderful and the main reason for our stay, he is justperfect! Please take good care of him! We have known him for 15 years and keep on coming because of him.

Awsome location felt very safe and secure.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The bath/shower not ideal for older couples

The Breakfast was great and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I think the baths can be replaced with just a shower as it is quite uncomfortable to step over a high batch to shower. Overall the rooms was very comfy and clean.

The food (breakfast & dinner) was delicious.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The TV set had few channels available.

The food (breakfast & dinner) was delicious. The cleaning staff, chef, waiters and waitresses were very friendly.

Very Disappointing
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Smelly room and towels,cockroaches in room,aircon noisy.no parking on premises as per web, definitely not 4 star.won't be staying there again!!!very disappointing.

What a wonderful stay.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The floor in our room was not level it felt as if one would fall through 1st floor. Why I didn't understand was a charge for a tray when we requested dinner for room service. Minor things like extra cup and no spoon were not provided in the room on our last night. One last thing may you monitor room cleaning times. As it was a bit awkward after breakfast when they were still cleaning the room and we had left it not in a proper state.

The staff was wonderful and helpful from check in, security to breakfast.The place was always kept clean. The place is Halal which is great, so my daughter was catered for especially breakfast since she's allergic to pork. May I suggest that drinking glasses are provided in the rooms.

worst hotel we ever booked
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The elevator didn't work. Had to walk up 3 flights of stairs. Towels were not clean and smelly. very old and outdated rooms for the price. No parking

Nothing,

The staff were extremely friendly and the shuttle service...
    • Executive Family Room

We were 3 people and booked a family room but there were only towels for 2 of us. The same applies to the beverages - there were only 2 cups and 2 coffee servings. The room we occupied for the first two nights of our stay was stunning but when we returned for another night's stay after our cruise, we were booked in a very drab room that really requires a face lift!

The staff were extremely friendly and the shuttle service convenient. The rooms are spacious and clean.

Great breakfast, quick check in/out process, location.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Overall quite outdated. Expected to have 1 double bed and instead got a room with two singles merged together.

Great breakfast, quick check in/out process, location.

Horrible experience
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The lift doesn't work and we were not informed by the staff. I asked for a baby cot which I waited hours for and they finally brought it to the room they put it under the air conditioning. I asked for our rooms to be changed because I couldn't have the cot under the air conditioning and I waited hours and nothing was done I had to remind them. I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Executive Family Room

Television channels please upgrade DStv package.

Every thing food and cleanniness;staff was excellent except television no channel enthusing,it was like ordinary SABC not DStv.i end up not watching;lastly security around your place it's questionable as it's not safe thugs loitering around look to that as it will affect your business.

It was okay, because I didn't spend much time at the hotel
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Cleaning on time and replacement of things like shower gels and bath towels. Also the TV screen looked horible and there were channels that we couldn't even see

Great location right next to the beach

Very good
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The fact that they don't allow visitors after 10pm is a problem. I was charged R250 each for my two visitors which I paid and I don't think that was fair. I strongly recommend that they should seek the authorisation from their guests and not charge them especially if visitors are not sleeping over

The atmosphere was good and the staff was very friendly

I would recommend my friends to book with you definitely and when i come again I will book there.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

I can't even remember what I didn't like. I suppose when expectations are met one would not attend to the "don't like"

The service from the staff is fabulous as I beleive in having friendly people who would make me feel comfortable when I'm away from home. The bed is comfortable and the food was delicious. Thank You.

Great value for money
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Every time you needed to call the reception, housekeeping or any other service I either had to call more than once or walk to the reception. Every single time... it was just so annoying. The hotel is on the beach front and the public hanging out in front of the establishment should be controlled. Parking in front of the hotel should be reserved to hotel clients and not the public.

The property is located on the beachfront which makes it easy to move around. The hotel offers value for money. Will definitely received it to others

Expected more the the price and a boutique hotel
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The Bath/shower is outdated. The aircon was not effective which was required in Durban. Furniture is really old and in some instances disintegrating.

They provided parking

I did enjoy my stay in your facility except that parking problem which was serious inconvenient.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Parking space of our vehicle as guest was totally unfair and unacceptable we have to leave our keys at reception. My vehicle was driven updown that was not correct it shows poor planning to arrange parking for guest. We were not told in time that you have limited parking. It's unfair that my car it was parking outside directly to the sun and rain and be driven without my permission allocate others parking space.

The hospitality was okay. Staff is friendly

My stay at The Balmoral
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The bathroom air con had a certain smell as if it was tobacco smell. The food taste great even though the chef on Sunday wasn't friendly..

The staff was very helpful in terms of assistance. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The security was ok even though the car was at another location

Good
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The parking is a problem as there are few parking lots and cars would parked somewhere else.

Croissants were delicious. The bed was comfortable as well. I have enjoyed my stay.

My stay was okay, but it could have been better.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

I ordered coffee with hot milk for breakfast, but both of it was warm and worse part the lady that was helping us seemed to be not interested in what she was doing so I didn't want to bother her any further. Please improve the breakfast service.

Breakfast was okay.Service at reception was great, keep it up.

The other staff members - House Keeping and Receptionst were a lot helpful.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

However the room was very cluttered for a double/ twin beds and I was given a non-sea facing room, when I tried to change it the checking in staff was very rude and not friendly to any suggestions.

Bedding and all was OK, room was clean at all times. The staff at reception and Housekeeping were very helpful.

We would never stay there again.
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The hotel is poor. There were no towels in the room - we had to wait for them to be delivered, in the end gave up waiting and went out anyway. WiFi was basically non-existent, you couldn't keep a connection for more than a few seconds - useless. The room is dusty and hasn't been cleaned properly. Room maintenance is poor. Furniture is old and looks it. Area is bad for family visitors with prostitutes on the pavement outside the hotel.

This well located hotel is like a remnant from the Victorian...
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

Unfortunately the breakfasts are quite expensive at R150 pp and not really and option for any person with a normal appetite.

This well located hotel is like a remnant from the Victorian era. An old Victorian Lady with beautiful furniture, comfy beds and friendly staff. The location and security is perfect.

It WS fantastic I wil come back agai
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

Nothing much wish u could put more channels on TV...n plz mount it ..its nt safe I will fall some day

Breakfast mhmmmmmmm....the place extremely clean..the kitchen staff very on top of their game

The service was very good and the staff was very helpful.
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

They must just put 2 shower caps especially when they know it's two people who will be in a room.

The service was very good and the staff was very helpful. The rooms were also nice and clean.

My stay there was ok
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

The noise from the club nextdoor. The manager at the front desk being rude to staff while customers are checking in. The carpet in the rooms it smells of moisture. The house keeping staff walking around without shoes.

The fact that is at the beachfront

The stay was generally reasonable for what was required on this trip.
    • Executive Family Room

Out dated small bathroom, needs renovation. Lots of ants when food is left open. Lots of noise in corridor at night by other guests. Lifts are too small. Parking is limited. No breakfast offered as part of package when booked.

Bed was comfortable, views were great. Hospitality good. Excellent location for what was required. Room size very good. Enjoyed the air-condition.

Our stay at the Balmoral was very nice.
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The streets behind the hotell, just 2 blocks away were in a horrific state. The city of Durban would be well advised to clear up the criminal elements in that area, maybe even send the police to patroll the area at least once!!!!! It would be a shame if this area eventually spreads up to the hotel!

Our stay at the Balmoral was very nice. Closeness to the beach and the atmosphere of the old colonial style hotel (I think it´s Durbans oldest hotel?) was very nice. The restaurant was very good and the staff were lovely. We often landed up sitting on the beautiful patio and just admired the surrounding atmosphere. We all upgraded our rooms and it was well worth it! The Balmoral and Durbans beach have not lost its charm!!!

Overall a good stay
    • Twin/Double Room (Non Sea Facing)

There are ants all over even in the bed. In Sunday evening I asked for sugar to make coffee in the morning as I was leaving extremely early on Monday morning and the lady at reception had only sweetener and said she will send someone to the room with it, and never did. I wound up having to order at the restaurant and it was the most terrible cup of coffee I have ever had. Perhaps bigger cups will make it less strong.

The bed was comfortable. The cleaning staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

It is a nice hotel on a beautiful place.
    • Standard Double Room with Sea View

The address was wrong on booking.com, therefore we couldn't find it. Breakfast was to expensive.

The place, the atmosphere, sitting outside, daymenu.