Reviews of Gooderson Beach Hotel 3 stars

107 Marine Parade, Durban, 4001 Durban, South Africa

#44 of 54 hotels in Durban

I loved the beach view in the morning, watching the sun rise.
    • Quadruple Room

The staff were rude and unprofessional, especially the manager on duty. I will not return due to pathetic service.

I loved the beach view in the morning, watching the sun rise.

On my side I will not come again
    • Quadruple Room

The aircon was not working.. We report it when we checkin and receptionist promise to send someone to fix but no one came till Saturday and we report it again and they fix it. We have to pay breakfast separated.. Why The old lady I don't know her name she was mood

The room was clean and big than I expected

to be in Durban and the comfort of Gooderson Beach Hotel.

nil

to be in Durban and the comfort of Gooderson Beach Hotel. The reception on arrival and departure was excellent. Easy to communicate with them. Keep up the good work. The Security at the car parking area very welcoming. Thank you. I will book accommodation in future.

The view was breath taking.
    • Quadruple Room

The smell from the underground parking lot we had to endure from the lot to the elevator. Also the corridor carpet had a funny foul smell.

The view was breath taking... The extra beds and the room was quite spacious.

I won't be using Gooderson Beach anymore
    • Quadruple Room

We arrived first instead of getting a room first the trainee receptionist decided to help other people, we had to wait more than two hours to get our room, they do not refill the tissue Yoh

beautiful

The service was prompt and efficient, the staff was great. Thandeka, ndumiso, Msizi and mamD were helpful and kind, they went out of their way to make us feel at home.

Location - the beach close by
    • Quadruple Room

Noise was unbearable. Kids where screaming in the corridors and rooms every night. Lifts were not working. The rooms and building smelled bad and the floors were sticky. Breakfast was overpriced considering that there were various franchises nearby that are much cheaper.

Location - the beach close by

upsolutely marvelous.
    • Quadruple Room

parking I was told over the phone that its R65 but when I get there its R80 plus location of the parking its rather uncomfortable .it does not match standard of the Hotel.

cleanliness ,comfort and the view .

It was nice and the was hospitality to all staff

Nothing everything was perfect

I like the reception...it was nice and simple,the room that we were in it was so fantastic and there was hospitality to all the staff

Good experience
    • Quadruple Room

The smell of sanitiser was too much, when the staff take the towel they should change it immediately not take them to be washed first, and my aircon wasnt working well it only cameout cool air not warm

Everything, my big bathroom with bath and shower separate, my clean room

We are never going there again.
    • Apartment

We had a self-catering room - Our stove was so dirty - we couldn’t grill anything. Broken Kitchen Steel Bin. Only two pots. Broken 2 Seater Couch and smelly of urine. Seating room window with no window hinges. Parking down stars smell so badly. Housekeeping department failing to clean our unit (one day they came in around 5pm)

Just in front on the hotel, we had great beaches around and areas for our kids. They could go swim and play without any difficulties

Ample space and functional. Bunny chow downstairs at Pier 107 nice.
    • Apartment

VERY noisy at night both from people and cars, especially on weekend. Hotel and room is old and tacky. Furniture has seen better days. Aircon noisy. Bath towels was very small, old and paper thin. Beaches crowded with whistle wielding life guards tormenting you.

Close to Ushaka and beaches, with many dinning options in area. Unit we had was large and comfortable. Lovely beds with ample size.

Good
    • Standard Twin Room

Bedding was old and could not use the cupboards as they were not properly cleaned and the back was almost falling apart.

Location is where I prefered to be and the environment was good. Did not spend much time in the property had other commitments elsewhere.

• Quadruple Room

The service was great and the room was always clean.But please put small fridges in the rooms.

Everything was great,staff friendly breakfast compiments to the chefs.I don't know what to say bt u guyz get 100 and 10.Lovable.

Our room had a perfect sea view!
    • Apartment

On the second day our room was not cleaned, I had to phone the reception for the cleaners to come and clean the place. The cleaner came eventually and had a sour face the whole time while tyding up the place!

Our room had a perfect sea view!

Good is wat I can say

Air conditioner dat was not working

Everything at de property was excellent,only de air-condition was not taking out heat breakfast was so so gud, thnx Gooderson beach hotel

we enjoyed
    • Apartment

kindly fumigate , there are lots of cockroaches in the room. shower rose is not functioning well

the receptionist Lethu was the highlight of our stay. he went out of his way in ensuring our stay was the best. beautiful sea views

We really enjoyed staying there

The stove was so slow for cooking I couldn't make food for my 2yrs old daughter

The view was so beautiful,the bed was so comfy.My daughters can't stop singing about the hotel with the sea view. The wavy enjoyed I booked again for next year 😃

6.0
    Fairly good. I may recommend others especially after requests made are attended to.
    • Apartment

The kitchen needs fumigation as there are cockroaches. Service the hot water taps in the apartment. Lift to basement also needs to be serviced.

The environment and location of the hotel is outstanding. Friendly reception and acommodative response by staff.

Cleanliness they clean everyday

That old lady in the reception she is so impatient wt pple n the gv us small port to cater for 6 people we hv to buy pots for pap

Cleanliness they clean everyday

Enjoyable

The secured parking was good but paying to stay at the hotel and pay for parking while I'm a guest did not go well, maybe you should reconsider the parking rules. Overall I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. I will come hack again.

It was not a pleasant stay at all...

Water disruptions with no communication from the hotel, got only one towel in the room and no apology for that. No bottled water in the room to make up for water disruptions. I dont think customer service is considered top of the list

The food was good

Classy hotel with everything needed close by.

Nothing at all.

The best ever hotel I've ever stayed in when in Durban. Keep up the good work. Wish I could have stayed longer, and the breakfast was out of this world.

Average.
    • Standard Twin Room

The noise. The basic facilities that you receive. The food we received the one morning. The look of the rooms. They looked old and not maintained.

For what I paid I didn't feel I got with the accommodation. I found the facilities to be average and the staff also don't seem that keen to assist you. The breakfast we recieved 2/3 days was delicious. 1/3 days when we made a request for an early breakfast we got given a generic lunch box of snacks even after they took an order from us the afternoon before. Personally I wouldn't stay at this hotel again as I feel I am entitled to more when I pay that amount for accommodation.

Location it's next to the beach , friendly staff , good...

The Air-conditioner in my room was very weak , tiles will better than carpets especially on the passages

Location it's next to the beach , friendly staff , good breakfast

excellent stay, wonderful staff, glorious curry.
    • Quadruple Room

The lay out of the lifts are confusing.

The staff and service was excellent, friendly and well-informed. I love your restaurant on the stoep of the hotel. Your food expecially your curry is outstanding. The hotel is conveniently placed in the middle of the marine parade. It was nice to strole on the marine parade an d the hotel was in walking distance of everything. I will centainly come stay at your hotel in the future.

It was a marvelous stay
    • Apartment

Its better to at least have 3 cooking pots instead of two. Its better to make sure sheeting is available for the guest who are using couches for sleeping instead of requesting from house keeping especialy because you are aware how many guest in the appartment. Toilets and kitchen floors were sticky.

The apartment was spacious it felt like home. Beds were very comfy and clean. I loved the kitchen.

Loved the stay and Pier 107 food! it's a home away from home!
    • Standard Twin Room

breakfast staff could be a bit more friendly and when paying I was surprised to see she went to her hand bag and put the money in her bag and got change from her wallet, it made me wonder if my payment was to the hotel breakfast buffet or for her personal gain? please get a till

I always love the beach hotel! the food at room service makes me not want to leave my room at all! always clean and comfy

the hotel is next to the beach and the bed was comfy
    • Apartment

they said the breakfast was included and on saturday when we wanted to have breakfast they said our booking is including only the room not breakfast. i was so dissappointed.

the hotel is next to the beach and the bed was comfy

breakfast not up to standard.

breakfast to take out carpet. it smells bad.

breakfast not up to standard. Short staff at the dinning hall. we had to wait for an hour to get into the breakfast hall. by that time some food had run out.

After all it's a great place loved the view from my room
    • Standard Twin Room

Would have been better to have even French toast for kids love them

Breakfast we didn't get option for fried eggs. A mini bar fridge would be nice on the rooms

It was a great stay. Apart from the few glitches
    • Quadruple Room

There never refilled drinking water. We had alot of problems that were not fixed. The towels were not available our lights were poor.

I loveeeed the breakfast. I love the fact that it's closer to the beach and shops.

Check in is at 2pm, we arrived just after 3:30 and we were...
    • Apartment

Check in is at 2pm, we arrived just after 3:30 and we were told the room was not ready and the staff saw nothing wrong with it, imagine after an 8hrs drive you arrive on time for check in but you are expected to wait or occupy a "not ready apartment'' this was not a good experience.

Oversold
    • Quadruple Room

The carpets smelled. The elevators too slow and made creepy sounds. The place just did not look clean and neat and there were cockroaches The food was also not nice

The staff was quite nice

I dont think will stay there again.

We booked for sea view room, they gave us a wrong room, aircon not working and no remote for TV room and escalators we dirty and smelly they need to change the carpets. Staff was grumpy including the cleaners.

Food was oily , the bed was ok

There was no parking for us.
    • Quadruple Room

There was no parking for us.. And the old lady by the reception was so unprofessional and rude regarding the parking issue and the wet lifts due to people coming from the beach withought drying themselves not professional... The breakfast doesn't worth the price😏

Mostly quite positive/pleasant but wouldn't return for another visit
    • Standard Twin Room

Aircon needed servicing so time spent in r room during first 24 hrs was very uncomfortable. After that the outside temperature dropped. Room was cleaned at irregular times. Outside noise was unacceptable

Pleasant friendly staff. Very nice breakfast with excellent variety of food

The staff was friendly and helpful
    • Apartment

I loved everything about the hotel, it was cozy and to my expectations

The hotel was exquisite, clean,the room service up to standard and would like to visit there again

Good!!
    • Standard Twin Room

My room was a bit smaller as I usually book at the hotel and receive a bigger room This one really small but we managed maybe next time "ne"

Most enjoyable, see you soon

The party goers on the pavement throughout both evenings was a DISTURBANCE. Beach hotel should not allow people the have parties with alcohol on the pavement in front of the Hotel throughout the whole evening

All food was excellent.

it was my first stay at the hotel and not a good stay
    • Studio

the room had cockroaches i all over the room my cousin was bitten by a spider the room wasnt clean at all

The stuff was very friendly and always willing to help

The worst hotel experience I’ve had.

The fact that I booked a room with a single bed but I was given the room with two beds, and I was never warned about this when I was making the booking online. The hotel does not have fridges, that was a total turn off. Mam.

Nothing at all

relaxed and comfortable.
    • Apartment

The last day the toaster trip the electricity and they did not replace the toaster. My daughter step in a piece of glass when standing at the window in the bedroom.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The bed extra comfortable and clean. The room was clean everyday while we were there. I also appreciate the excellent air conditioning and all the facilities it made our stay easy and comfortable. I will definitely go back.

Not so friendly but conveniently close to the beach :-(
    • Apartment

Staff not very friendly, they actually dont care. The elevators stinks. Phone not working, TV only playing SABC channels, not very accomodating for 6ppl sharing

Ohhh the bed was very comfortable :-) and the aircon made life easier. Easy to walk to the beach. The lady who came to assist with cleaning the room was very accomodating.

Our stay was comfortable, as we learned that people are different and should be respected.
    • Quadruple Room

Staff to learn to respect that not all african looking person speaks Zulu. Invest on fridges and microwaves in the first 6 blocks.

The rooms are really comfortable-just lack fridges and microwaves in the first 6 blocks

i enjoy my stay nothing much to complain about, thanks Gooderson beach

can they put bar fridge in the rooms please, no Wi-Fi

perfect location,nice staff especially the reception who were helpfully with my requests to them about my room.its quite and relaxing inside the hotel with the nice view of the sea. i am looking forward for my next stay at the hotel

My stay was very comfortable.
    • Quadruple Room

I dislike that we were told not to take a doughnut out of the dining area which we were still eating. There should of been a sign up stating food is not allowed to go to your room.

I like the lady at the reception (DORTHY) she was very friendly...Keep up the friendly attitude.....

Tolerable

The toilet in the room I was in was stinking, horrible smell, had to tell reception, they sent house keeping, no air fresheners in the bathrooms, I had to ask for towels. Unfamiliar coffee brand, didn't taste nice, carpet smelly, toilet paper - poor quality.

Breakfast was nice, I was with my 8 year old boy who is crazy about Pan Cakes,unfortunately they do not make part of the hotel's menu.

Nice for leisure time and comfort, but need to improve more on services part for basic stuff.

Drinking water is not provided by staff, you have to fill by your own or purchase from outside.

Nice Location to beach side and comfortable beds and ample space in rooms.

I will definitely not recommend this hotel to even my worst enemy. I have never been so disgusted ee

The staff,the stench,the room,the bathroom even the breakfast I was scared to eat it coz I thought the food might be contaminated bacause of the dirtiness of the hotel. This hotel is disgusting

Nothing. Goorderson beach is not a hotel but a dump. I hated everything about it the rooms smell like a quarry the staff is useless the hotel is a mess. It is dirty even the lift smells terrible. I have never in my life had such a terrible stay. The bathroom is a mess even the doors of the hotel are falling apart

My stay was okay.

I request a room with a double bed, but I was given a room with 2 single beds. When I got to breakfast, most of the food was already finished (scrambled eggs, sausages, etc.), and had to wait for replenishments.

Breakfast was very nice.

poor
    • Quadruple Room

the hotel had a funny smell and the breakfast was not fresh. the food tasted funny and with a smell. my sister had a running tummy for two days after the breakfast.

Lots of drama but overall , we enjoyed Durban

Breakfast that had a cockroach. They charged me extra when I got there for check in and yet I had called the facility to confirm if my booking on Booking.com was appropriate.

The apartment was well kept ,

If they remedy the WiFi problem I would stay there again because of the Dining Room staff.

WiFi was included but had no internet connection in any of the rooms. Had to leave the room go down one floor to the balcony for WiFi. A REAL DEAL BREAKER for me. Had to pay huge data fees to use my USA cellphone to connect to internet in my room.

Ocean view and location. Restaurant and bar connected. Breakfast included. Dining room staff was very sweet like family. Game room, pool table and balcony. Smoking permitted.

Very dissapointed

Going up many lifts to do ironing of clothes. Aircon not working

This used to be a lovely place to stay as i stayed there many times before but now it has degenerated to a bad state

Awesome

Only the check in time coz normal we arrive early and expect to get comfy in our rooms before we can go out

The staff was friendly and welcoming the bedding were comfy and had the best view the room was clean bathroom toilet also clean

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and will visit again.

The noise by other clients especially the knocking on the doors. Telephones need to be constantly checked as room 511 the cord was cut off.

The location of the hotel is great, next to most amenities.

Bathroom it is good.

Bathroom it is good.get hot water so quick..look it was amazing.servise at reception was so quick in time..excelent.security was proper on position on the gate

Lovely

I would appreciate if the people who goes for swimming can come back dry and not to wet the reception and to disturb the reception area for other guests who are checking in

Beds more comfy and breakfast so delicious

Please furnish the rooms including tables n chairs where they off bteakfast
    • Quadruple Room

The smell in the lift.too much carpet.this hotel needs to be furnished with a few items,n a bar fridge should be a priority and a microwave at least.there's a lot of wasted space in my room.

The size of the room,the view from my room.the staff was very good.

Its ws a marvellous place to be

The wardrobe were dusty nd de ws dis horrible smell on de lift

Most of the staff were freindly nd nice especially mrs dorothy from de reception she ws so kind....the breakfast ws so delicious ive enjoy it alot

I loved the place its clean and the breakfast was beyond my expectations

The shower in my room was not working and the were school kids who where very loud.

Stuff was friendly, the food was beyond my expectations, even the room was clean. I got exactly what i was looking for.

An amazing family experience.

Windows could have been cleaner for an even amazing view from the window and the coaches in the room we were at need some serious cleaning , besides that we were happy.

I liked the easy access to the beach and the transport to visit other places was great , it is also close to everything , if you a party freak you sorted, family orientated you covered too, I really like it there. Not forgetting the staff man, superb job.

Retha
    • Quadruple Room

The smell u get from hallways and from the carpet is awful . Also the facility is old it needs to be refurbished especially the bathroom, the toilet in room 708 was not working properly.

The location is good

Good

The issue of paying for a parking while I'm a guest...i think if the charge could b atleast included in the charges.

The area and position of the area and view...

👌🏽on point thank you very much...
    • Studio

The restaurant couldn't cater for my son and the guy who took our order was not willing to help he just told us to go order from KFC...

The room was big enough for my 2 year old son to run around.

All in all it was great staying there

WiFi

The problem was the WIFI couldn't read our emails. Nothing all the seven days complained nothing worked.but the rest of the things were okay, breakfast, beds and tidy.

It was good
    • Apartment

Cleaners must do their job as they only clean once that was sarterday, and they never changed the bedding

Like the view of the sea and the friendly staaf

disgusting.

roaches every where. food was reheated from day before. prostitutes gathered on the corners of the hotel. staff helped themselves to food before the guests could. son got salmonella from the raw food. bathroom was dirty.

The staff was friendly especially the lady at the reception.
    • Standard Twin Room

It was so uncomfortable driving out of the basement parking....too steep. The drain in the bath was blocked. The room did not smell that fresh. (kind of stuffy) The sausages we had for breakfast were awful (like sour)

The staff was friendly especially the lady at the reception. The entrance was beautiful. The bed was nice and comfortable.

I had a good time in Durban staying at Gooderson's hotel....felt like a home away from home...

Having a fridge or even a bar fridge would be of great help. The fact that da shower is combined with a bathtub was one of the let downs i.e standing on the bathtub to take a shower.

I must say the breakfast was out of this world. The location of the place is perfect...close to most interesting places in Durban.

I always wanted to experience paradise on earth and I did

To leave the place and go back home

Even the service that you get from the kitchen stuff and the reception the best the guards all friendly I will definitely go back

its definitely not a place that i will go back to or recommend to anyone.
    • Apartment

1. we couldn't get clean towels the next day because the towels were drying 2. the staff were not friendly or accommodating in any way 3. I was asked to pay a deposit of R100 to use the hair dryer 4. the security guard was offering unethical stuff

the bed was comfortable--the view was perfect. The location was good

The hotel is ok and value for money, but the pest problem needs to be sorted.
    • Apartment

Found that the carpets were not vacuumed upon checking in. Was quickly resolved by the manager. The flat, especially the kitchen, was invested with cockroaches. Very unhygienic. Was not happy about this. Reception area needs an upgrade.

The staff were very friendly and always eager to assist, especially the housekeeping manager. The location is good. Definitely value for money

After all that is said, we actually enjoyed our stay, and planning to come back!

I didn't like the fact that we booked the Hotel with the impression than the rooms had refrigerators and microwaves and when we got there, we were told a different story. Yoh! another thing that I didn't like was to pay for a lost key and only told later that when we go out we could leave the key on a safe box. Should we have been told on our arrival we wouldn't have lost a key.... I'm still crying for my R350, #cryingface ;-(

I liked the location of the hotel more than anything, the view was oooohawesome! We also enjoyed the breakfast, it was very good..... Rooms are nicely spacious, especially my boys' room, it was very big with lot of beds. Another thing that I liked was the effort that was made by one of staffs to get a fridge for our room after being disappointed to find that the room had no fridge.