Reviews of Camps Bay Retreat Hotel

7 Chilworth Road, Camps Bay, 8040 Cape Town, South Africa

#36 of 152 hotels in Cape Town

Fantastic hotel when you need a relaxing break.
    • Premier Room

Homely atmosphere. Fireplaces for winter, Pools for summer. Delicious Food, Comfy beds, Even friendly pets living at the hotel. Walking paths, Tennis courts. There are so many things to do or just relax at this beautiful hotel.

We really enjoyed the stay. It's a stunning setting with beautiful views. Loved the friendly dogs.
    • Luxury Room

I would have liked to see more 'banting / gluten free / vegetarian options on the menu. For both , breakfast and dinner.

Beautiful setting - relaxing experience.

Loved the location - but beware of the special. Placed in a room opposite a construction site
    • Superior Room

Expected a 5* experience , but disappointed with the tiny TV screen + small showerhead + dogs in the restaurant + room opposite construction site with no interest from the staff to move us to another room.

Everything about our stay was just perfect.
    • Premier Room

Everything about our stay was just perfect. We were made to feel very welcome, the property was even more incredible than the pics, I felt perfectly safe and secure there, staff were wonderful, room was amazing. What more can I say!

Camps Bay Retreat is a hidden gem in the heart of Camps Bay.
    • Premier Room

While the staff were friendly they weren’t overly attentive and took a while to provide me with service

The property is in the middle of touristy Camps Bay but you feel like you are completely outside of town and in nature. The walks, trails and break away areas are magnificent. The room offered limited self-catering facilities and had a microwave.

Good place but overpriced and horrible staff, definitely don't go there. CT has much better to offer
    • Suite

staff are almost 100% unprofessional - arrogant and treated me with a lot of indifference regarding my issues and requests. Room booked was not the room i got. I was promised a view but got none.

the rooms are comfortable and well designed. the view is great from the main area. food is also really good.

Everyone has to stay here at least once in their lives.
    • Premier Room

I hated the fact that I didn’t have enough time to enjoy my room and the hotels facilities.

This hotel never ceases to amaze me with its beauty. I love staying there. I also love that I arrived back very late at night and the owners invited me to join them for drinks in the dining room. Great and friendly staff.

Stunning location amazing view.

The food very poor and some of the staff at the restaurant not very friendly unfortunately. Not managed well I guess.

The location is stunning, very family friendly

Disadvantaged by Booking.Com
    • Superior Room

Booking.com clients do not have their rooms allocated until arrival. So although I booked and paid for a Superior room (Cat 3), I was given a Premier room (Cat 1) on arrival. This was obviously the only room available. I was put into a Luxury room (Cat2) for nights 2 & 3, and then finally a better room for nights 4 & 5. Each change wastes a morning of your holiday. So my advise is to book direct and do not accept rooms 5 or 11. They obviously get a lot of complaints as in each room, reception, dining and lounges they have a sign that says. " Travelling is all about giving yourself over to the place, not trying to impose your two week idea of perfection on it."

The best thing about this hotel is that it has space. Space between the rooms, and space between the hotel and the town. A very pleasant and safe walk down through the grounds and along the front into Camps Bay. BUT spend R70 on a return taxi. One or two individual members of staff make this place better than it would otherwise be. Waseem is a great troubleshooter and gets things done, Andrew is always willing to help.

We liked the atmosphere and location. We would return.
    • Premier Room

No dressing table in our room, I had to take down the mirror from the wall to do my hair and makeup. Some of the areas around the old building looked rather tired and paths were in need of repair. Staff were not as attentive as one might expect from a hotel of this standard/cost, if one sat in the gardens no one offered refreshments. When I asked for someone to collect our bags on departure and gave prior notice that we would require this some time before, no one came and we were forced to carry them ourselves, no one rang me in the room to say there as a problem but then at reception, with a number of staff standing round doing very little, was told there was not anyone available. The sprinkler system had been put on over the paths so that we got soaked carrying the bags on departure so it was a shame that at the last minute our experience was marred. The menu choice was limited in the only restaurant but the food was good.

Peaceful setting in nature reserve but close enough to lots of action on Camps Bay. Our room was in a new villa with more facilities in it than we needed.

Amazing.
    • Premier Room

We didn't stay in the manor, but in a separate modern house. Was still amazing but would be nice to know we weren't in the main house when booking.

The hotel itself is a stunning property with stunning views. A visual treat and so close to the beach and town.

Loved the location, the staff and the main hotel. The rooms & restaurant service need some attention
    • Premier Room

The rooms were tired. The electrics and air con as well as the general state of the rooms need upgrading for the price charged.

The hotel was perfect and was just what we wanted

My favourite hotel
    • Premier Room

Sometimes the dogs were sleeping :)

From the location, the sunset views, the food, the service, the grounds, everything was spectacular. Didn't want to leave.

Very relaxing and comfortable stay.
    • Superior Room

Wifi signal in the room was poor and often dropped out all together. Only a one night stay so unable to make full use of all the facilities.

Fantastic bedroom. Very helpful staff - always a smile on their faces.

Amazing stay in Camps Bay
    • Luxury Room

The view was absolutely amazing, the rooms were spacious and luxurious. Best breakfast I had in a long time. Spa treatments were good. Location is great. Not even the gusts of wind could have blown away our enthusiasm and enjoyment of the property.

More effort could be made to help with the CT drought eg bucket in the shower
    • Premier Room

Wanted to order drinks on the stoep the afternoon but after sitting for a while, had to get up to go look for someone to serve us. We were not too impressed with the staff ... the guy that took our suitcases to the room was the only really friendly staff member. But we noticed they treated non-south africans a bit friendlier - why? for a bigger tip??? Was very disappointed that the Mint Spa never replied to my emails and as a result, we had to cancel our treatments which was part of our 21st wedding anniversary celebration.

Comfy bed

Camps bay treats!
    • Premier Room

Having to ever check out!

The main house itself was stunning with pet dogs roaming around and a toasty warm fire always on the go. Gorgeous lawn outside to sit and watch the waves crash on the shore down on the beach. Loved the little walks dotted around the property. Gorgeous, cosy rooms with underfloor heating and radiators and even a surprise hot water bottle in the bed when we got back in at night. Lots of little touches that made it extra luxurious. Loved crossing the rope bridge to our room.

I could definetly stay again in hope there is improvement to my dislikes.
    • Premier Room

My previous booking 2016 December was Room16, which was the best, more spacious and freshly designed then the Room10 I was placed in. Room10 is wooden but not varnish well, not cosy and warm. I feel it does need revemp and it could be more visually appealing with new fluffy throws, cushion and duvets. Mattress bed was not to comfortable. More lights on the outside staircase as it became a hazard walking up and down during the rainy Friday. An umbrella kept in the room could be ideal for sudden rainy moments since it's further walk to the main house. My black leather shoes are still missing, I was told they were not found, this is a great concern to me. I still wait and hope they call me back for further follower up.

The welcome and the home-sweet feel from the sercurity, receptionist and staff was great. They dressed well with genuine warm smile. Hotel looks great, the vintage warm feel is inhances more by the style and warm staff. Service was wonderful with my spa, dinner bookings other enquirers. Car service was good and patience. Breakfast was tasty with wonderful scenery, and the hotel was able to accommodate us by extending breakfast time.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Feels like the middle of nature in the middle of Cape Town.
    • Premier Room

For our spa treatment we went to a partner hotel and we were told that we should take our car or a taxi. Then no space to park there so we ended up being late. Was quite annoying

Feels like the middle of nature in the middle of Cape Town. Beautiful Staff really nice. Very relaxing place.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

We love this venue...but there are issues. The main house is completely different to the cottages.
    • Suite

- We were charged R100 to connect to the internet. How petty can you be. - We fell in love with the main house on our previous visit, but this time we were in the cottages. Although spacious, the accommodation lacked character. There are much cheaper and more charming options available. This is not the case for the main house. Perhaps some plants? The walls are quite empty. The photos of the people who built the cottage and the owners pets were a bit surreal, but that might be just our taste. - We requested the mini-bar to be stocked at 17h00. It was finally done by 20h30. - We requested beach towels from reception, which was eventually coincidentally provided by the turn-down service, hours later. - The loo smelt like cat urine….which equates to the floor behind the loo not having been cleaned from your previous guests bad aim. I know, cause I cleaned it.

- This is a truly amazing venue. It is nestled in the corner of Camps Bay and is a gem. You must walk the grounds ! - The view from the main house is something special. - The restaurant staff were polite. - Parking is on-site, free and well managed. - The interior of the main house is unlike the bigger commercial hotels. The retreat is part of a bigger group, but the main house manages to retain that exclusive, non-commercial feeling. - Good central base from which to explore.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

Badly in need of professional makeover.
    • Superior Room

Of 6 hotels we stayed in this was the most expensive and by far the worst. We asked for a massage at the spa at any time over 5 days. Nobody was able to provide us with one though we did find out later that space was available. We asked for reservations to be made at different restaurants, not one was made. Breakfast was appalling. No bread or toast just stale croissants and juices not made from fresh fruit. The hotel encouraged us to have their barbecue one night. Apart from a good steak everything had been eaten by 8.00pm or had been left for 2 to 3 hours in warming dishes so dried out and inedible. A disappointing experience.

A good position

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Absolutely gorgeous place
    • Luxury Room

Had the most comfortable and lovely stay here. Wasn't really anything I would change. Only tiny critisism was that sometimes the bar staff were a little delayed but overall it was a wonderful stay. Just want to go back!

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Classy retreat in a great location
    • Premier Room

Have to really nitpick to find things wrong.

A great location. Beautifully furnished and finished with a long history documented throughout the retreat. Has its own tennis court and spa and is walking distance from Camps Bay and Clifton beaches. The food was excellent - from the restaurant in the evenings to the daily breakfasts. Highly recommended. Try the Pimms jug!!

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Exquisite and romantic
    • Superior Room

The only very small disappointment was that the porters had finished by the time we arrived and after a long day's travelling, and with me not feeling very well, it was a shame we had to lug our luggage across the rope bridge in the dark to our room. Very small complaint considering the fantastic stay overall though.

We stayed at the Camps Bay Retreat as part of our honeymoon trip to South Africa and couldn't have been more delighted with the wonderful accommodation, friendly staff and beautiful setting. The food was lovely, great selection of breakfast options available and we ate dinner in the hotel one evening which was also delicious - and a great selection of wines. The staff were charming and were only too happy to help with excursions, restaurant recommendations and more - when they overheard it was our honeymoon they even surprised us with champagne, flower petals and chocolates in our room! The setting and scenery are breathtaking (even with an ugly crane temporarily on the horizon!) and one of my favourite memories of the whole trip is sitting on the deck enjoying a glass of champagne while looking out over the sea. What a treat - and one I will always treasure. I've already recommended the hotel to friends and would say to anyone considering it, you absolutely get what you pay for - my husband and I couldn't have been happier there.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

They had 2 types of lodging.
    • Suite

Our modern suite had a few problems which they tried to address but where not able to fix them. They did offered us a 2 room suite in the manor filled with classic period furniture for one night. Beautiful room Waseem we greatly appreciated your concern for us. Your management skills and very pleasant personality really helped make our stay. Thank you so much.

They had 2 types of lodging. 1- historic manor home. Stately right out of 1930's beautifuly furnished. 2- walking over a swing bridge to some very sleek modern suites with heated bath room floor. Nice touch. A big plus was breakfast fresh fruits, pastry, cereals and choice of eggs.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

A fantastic break in Camps Bay.
    • Premier Room

Upon arrival there was a used condom package still in the toilet waste bin. The matter was dealt with very quickly by Waseem the Manager.

The whole place is fantastic.It's so peaceful and only a 5 minute walk into restaurants and bars in Camps Bay Beach front.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

As the name suggests, this is a great little retreat in the heart of camps bay
    • Premier Room

One grumpy staff member, nowhere can be perfect!

A peaceful welcoming little retreat, a stones throw away from busy camps bay. Friendly helpful staff, beautifully appointed rooms, big confortable bed. Excellent

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Dissapointing birthday celebration
    • Premier Room

We were very dissapointed in the service and cleanliness and tidyness of the property outside. We got the feeling that there is no good management . I booked a table telephonically a few days before, for dinner , asked for a table close to the fireplace. They did not even recall my booking, the fire was not even burning! It is mid winter in a very posh hotel and they should keep the ambiance going! Then the chef( blond lady) was fighting with the staff all through dinner, we could see her through the window of the dining room. She also looked untidy and I just could not enjoy the food seeing all this! Then we went to sit in the lounge after dinner, but also no fire! When we asked the staff at reception if we could have a fire, it seemed as such a favour they were doing us. We had to ask for everything! The verandah is the focus point of the hotel, BUT it was dirty and the tiles were not sweeped or washed in the 2 days we were there. There were leaves and and other small debree lying around- just looks so bad. The lawns were not cut, so the overall feeling We got was 'ratty tatty'... Not a 4 + star hotel! The paving is old and looks delapadated. The chairs on the lawn was dirty and the paint is chipping off. Ughhh no! It is a pity, because the place is really beautiful and we paid so much! Would not recommend this place AT ALL!!

Beautiful setting and hotel

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Beautiful surroundings
    • Superior Room

Bed wasn't very comfortable Spa messed up our bookings and then gave us shortened treatments even though we paid full price

Beautiful surroundings

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Great Winter stay in Cape Town
    • Superior Room

Wifi signal pretty bad in the rooms...beside that all perfect.

Great Service (especially at the reception), very good Food (Breakfast, Dinner), Perfect room and awesome facilities.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

4 nights of luxury
    • Superior Room

We went in the middle of the low season, so there were a few things that weren't available. One of the staff members was very eager to please, which unfortunately meant that he over-promised things which he couldn't deliver on.

The room was amazing, great bed, excellent room service. We stayed for 4 nights, and the whole place was excellent. Really good breakfast (importantly the coffee was great), the dinner menu was very good, and overall we were able to relax and site-see with ease. The cabs that were booked for us from the hotel were probably cheaper than you would get around town. We will definitely go back again.

The views and our villa was the best

The food is really bad🤮

The views and our villa was the best

last day there was a humid smell in our room, please take...
    • Superior Room

last day there was a humid smell in our room, please take care of that

Beautifull place

Not very quite

Beautifull place

Garden, view, room, breakfast and staff.
    • Premier Room

Garden, view, room, breakfast and staff.

Beautiful Rooms and Property

Beautiful Rooms and Property

Brilliant staff and hotel, location is perfect 👍

Brilliant staff and hotel, location is perfect 👍

Spectacular location , wonderful decor .

Spectacular location , wonderful decor ... superb

Average
    • Premier Room

No Wifi in room for two days despite repeated requests. Phone in room never worked despite requests and failed attempts to fix

Comfy Bed

Bad attitude with some staff

Bad attitude with some staff

Exquisite location
    • Premier Room

Smelly wine glass HD 10 incredibly draughty ( but it was blowing a gale)

Location and food

Beautiful location.
    • Premier Room

Wi-Fi not consistent. House keeping not efficient. Service a little slow

Beautiful location. Property had a lot of character

Enjoyed our stay , will definitely return
    • Superior Room

Bed made clunky noise every time you moved

Late check out, views are amazing. Helpful staff.

What a great time I had
    • Premier Room

It's not far from the beach and rooms are massive.

Everything!!!!

A hidden Gem with warm welcoming staff, our new home from home.
    • Superior Room

Accomodation was a real bonus, great room and even our own pool . Views and sunset brilliant

Great location!
    • Luxury Room

Great location! Super excellent service. Love the dogs!

We loved everything about this gem. We'll definitely be back.
    • Superior Room

Can't fault anything! This place was simply awesome.

Received such wonderful service and felt the staff went...
    • Premier Room

Received such wonderful service and felt the staff went above and beyond. It was wonderful. We'll definitely be back!

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

THE BEST IN CAMPS BAY X
    • Luxury Room

Beautiful peaceful location and best service and very friendly

The setting of the hotel and the nature surrounding it.

Nothing comes to mind.

The setting of the hotel and the nature surrounding it.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Romantic breakaway

Stairs

Friendly service and comfortable rooms

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

everything, setting, peacefulness
    • Premier Room

everything, setting, peacefulness beautiful scenary, luxurious room

Spa

Spa

Excellent with a couple of reservations
    • Premier Room

Many things were excellent but it lacks management and the in house taxi service is a rip off

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

A very relaxing home from home
    • Premier Room

The room was excellent and the staff very helpful. Loved the breakfasts

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Good breakfasts and fun rope bridge to cross.
    • Luxury Room

Good breakfasts and fun rope bridge to cross.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Amazing location and staff were very helpful and professional. The views are spectacular!
    • Premier Room

Prices of Fillet on menu and also I was charged for wifi.

The views were spectacular! I would go back on my next holiday.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Beautiful view

Beautiful view

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Views, service, hotel design and location.

Views, service, hotel design and location.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Unique, peaceful, charming...Camps Bay of years gone by.
    • Premier Room

Inappropriate behavior by some staff. The complaint was dealt with professionally.

Unique venue with old school charm and non-commercial feel.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

wonderful hotel

everything is fantastic

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

The stay with you was restorative having been travelling I was able to rest in my beautiful room.
    • Premier Room

I could find little fault with anything .

The staff were welcoming friendly informative professional and a pleasure to deal with

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Bad service
    • Suite

Terrible service from staff and room not living up to the facilities as advertised and also as stated on their own in house brochures etc

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

We have basically liked everything about the hotel, the...

We have basically liked everything about the hotel, the location, the staff, the food, beautiful breakfast buffet. Our room was excellent and spacious with all the details thought out. Stunning view. We would definitely recommend to have a sundowner in the garden, no need to go to another place...We will definitely stay in the same hotel next time we visit Capetown.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2015

There pets were allowed to roam around the hotel which...

There pets were allowed to roam around the hotel which I'm totally ok with but when you find cat droppings outside your hotel door that isn't so nice!

• Reviewed: 22 September 2015

Great location and very comfortable.

One staff member working in the breakfast area was not up to standard, his way of approaching guests as well as his way of performing his duties.

Great location and very comfortable. Majority of the staff are highly professional and helpful. The gardens are beautiful, creating a peaceful environment.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2015

Friendly staff and privacy

The kitchen staff got into a fist fight in front of us and then the chef continued to shout and swear at them in front of us

Friendly staff and privacy

• Reviewed: 2 June 2015

setting, hotel, Ambiance, toffee treats, happy anniversary...

Jet bath did not work for the duration of the stay, light in bathroom did not work on arrival, House keeping left cake in the room for 2 days, and did not clean too well

setting, hotel, Ambiance, toffee treats, happy anniversary Cake with Champagne

• Reviewed: 24 May 2015

Location, setting & atmosphere

The layout of the shower room with WC in was shocking! Also a large crane blotting out the view but that was nothing to do with the hotel! Breakfast spread was very good but cooked breakfast let it down - bacon & mushrooms & eggs all overcooked! Also refurbishment to next door room ruined the peace & tranquility somewhat!

Location, setting & atmosphere

• Reviewed: 6 March 2015

The worst hotel management ı've ever seen and ı believe ı won't see again.the manager downgrade us and changed our room,taking all our stuff even the safe box to another room without asking us!!!when we came from outside to the hotel a guest opened our room door!ı don't want to continue,you can imagine what we lived the rest of the day.and that day was my birthday!thanks Kristie,you make my day!!!(the worst birthday ı've ever had)

Location Nature

• Reviewed: 27 February 2015

The peace and tranquility of the beautifully kept grounds.

The rather noisy plumbing was being serviced!

The peace and tranquility of the beautifully kept grounds. The attentive staff. The view of the sunset from the terrace.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2015

Beautiful, calm surroundings and views.

Only a minor matter really - I requested se chicken for my daughter ahead of our stay at their wonderful BBQ but was told that they won't do chicken. There was a lot to chose from so happy endings after all....

Beautiful, calm surroundings and views. Attentive staff. Luxurious accommodation. Can't really fault it - another firm favourite!

• Reviewed: 15 January 2015

Charm of the house, room no1 very spacious.

Nice house with charm but service far from a 5 star. What is missing to me is just passion. No massages available, then last minute cancellation... Breakfast ok but nothing special. For dinner had to wait almost 20 minutes to get the menu, so I moved.

Charm of the house, room no1 very spacious. Staff ok. Door guys very nice.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2015

Beautiful period property set away from the busy town in its...

Beautiful period property set away from the busy town in its own tranquil oasis. Rooms are comfortable, stylish and modern with fantastic views, we had our own decking. The restaurant is also great and the staff excellent. We plan to return!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2016

- Friendly staff

- Friendly staff - Beautifull views from the main building and rooms - great relaxing retreat in the middle of vibrant camps bay

There are also 45 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.