Reviews of Camps Bay Glen

40 Rottingdean Road, Camps Bay, 8040 Cape Town, South Africa

Based on 52 B&B reviews

Quiet, tranquil stay but close to all the action of Camps Bay
    • Riverside Studio (Studio C Andre)

Unit #3 is supposed to have a view, from the patio of a waterfall. I think the trees are so lush that I didn't actually see the waterfall but I could hear it when i sat on the patio or when I was inside with the outside door open. it is 1 to 2 miles from the main road that faces the ocean. That was a little far for me to walk but I did see other people doing it.

The owner, Mark was one of the nicest people I have EVER met. The bed was very comfortable. Loved the pillows. Nice showerhead and plenty of hot water. It was a little far from town but Mark helped me with that. Taxi's are always on the main road and are not expensive if you don't have a car. Leave the outer door open to your patio and you can hear the waterfall. The view from the main house is to die for. I booked #3 but if you have a family or can book the main house, I strongly urge you to do so. As it wasn't swimming weather, i didn't go down by the pool. I was there for 8 nights. As I was traveling alone, someone checked on me almost every day, which was appreciated.

We arrived early and our apartment was ready, which was...
    • Garden Studio (Studio B - Lisa)

Everything was old and tatty, the place could do with having some money spent on it. We were in apartment B, so can’t speak for the other apartments.

We arrived early and our apartment was ready, which was great.

Shabby, disorganised, would not return. Pictures are not a true representation.

all of it

Not much, very run down, had no hot water for a few days and faulty lock which locked me out on my return at night. Texted the owner and he only got back to me the the morning after, luckily I found a way in.

Cold, damp and generally unsafe.
    • Garden Studio (Studio B - Lisa)

The room (Lisa) No.2 was in shade all day and was cold and clothes felt damp in the morning. There are electrical extension leads running all around the room (really unsafe for a number of reasons). The bathroom had just been painted with tile paint so there were heavy fumes in the air. The bath room never dried out. The external stairs down to our room were hand sculptured out of cement and would be lethal to anyone infirm or for children. The external lighting was poor for getting to our room after dark. The pool did not look too inviting. The car was parked on a small forecourt at the front of the building. The road outside is used as a rat run for workers getting out of Cape Town between 4pm and 6pm of an evening so be careful backing out. You would not impress your partner by booking here unless you are backpackers looking for cheap accommodation.

Handy for Camps Bay. The Hussars Grill 5 minutes away is excellent but always book in advance.

Not Impressed.
    • Garden Studio (Studio B - Lisa)

The pictures on the internet show a clean stunning venue but when you get there it is nothing like the internet pictures. Small cramped rooms. No space in the kitchen for food preparation. No ventilation in room. No sea veiws Staff first put us in the wrong room and we had to move the next day downstairs. Property needs maintenance and is not clean. Overgrown and unkept. Access on the day was totally confusing. When Isaac came to help us he mentioned it was freedom day and he didn't feel like working -I say that as we had to call him twice to come and assist after we sat outside for 30 mins waiting. Access to the bottom unit is via a stair case which is most unsafe to climb up and down.

Location close and easy access to beaches and restaurants in Victoria Road

It is a mission to get the keys.
    • Riverside Studio (Studio C Andre)

It is a mission to get the keys. I had to phone, sms, email for 30 minutes before the call was answered. I did email beforehand to give time of arrival. Other guest said they had the same experience. I asked for fresh towels the second day as the towels provided smelled awful. After I paid the balance there was NO fresh towels and NO further communication!

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Garden Studio (Studio B - Lisa)

The stairs, the general condition, the room. The sower was disgusting. We would highly advise Bookings.com to remove this property from your listings.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

The house need maintenance
    • Main house Studio A

The house seriously need urgent maintenance.Beds were so uncomfortable , no clean linen actually new linen is required. new crockery& cutlery. The level of hygiene was really poor.

The house is spacious, wi fi,& plenty mirrors . The area is perfect closer to most of the known places of interest.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

The place is nice I enjoyed staying there except for the...
    • Riverside Studio (Studio C Andre)

the tv not playing properly. Lot of trees scary outside we couldn't sit outside after seeing the sign beware of snakes

The place is nice I enjoyed staying there except for the kids.

The location is good, nice view, the property has huge...
    • Main house Studio A

The location is good, nice view, the property has huge potential- very rustic as is though.

Next time I'll be visiting with my family

Basically nothing

The view

Don't trust the pictures.
    • Main house Studio A

Don't trust the pictures. It's very tired and grotty. Staff were great as is location...but shabbiness means I would not recommend it.

Really good licatiin and really good hotel

Ita about a 15 mins walk from the restaurants

The setting and the naturearoind the hotel... in addition to the outdoor hammock

Camps Bay Glen was wonderful
    • Garden Studio (Studio B - Lisa)

The environment and the pool. We had everything we needed.

Camps Bay Welcome

Quirky decor. Bit tired

Great location, comfy beds, spacious.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

Excellent Location for Families in Cape Town

We like this Cozy Place - and visited it already for the 2nd Time

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Basic accommodation in a good location
    • Riverside Studio (Studio C Andre)

My wife walks with a stick and the access to the pool area is treacherous and dangerous

Self Catering The Pool

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Good location but facilities old and overused,
    • Garden Studio (Studio B - Lisa)

looks like to much use (kitchen, Bed, other facilities), stuff are not there, to much money for this property

The swimmingpool, good location,

Top Location For us as a Family.
    • Riverside Studio (Studio C Andre)

Top Location For us as a Family. We enjoyed camps Bay a lot and even could go for a swim in the pool of the guest house. Very friendly hosts

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Beautiful. Great Staff.
    • Garden Studio (Studio B - Lisa)

Beautiful place would highly recommend

• Reviewed: 1 May 2016

The staff and the location of the lodge.

The studio had a very funny smell and the draining system was not working. the outside looked unkept, the pool area also needs maintenance. The drive way looks untidy with a huge tree right there in front of the parking bays. The whole place needs a little make over and maintainance. The inside of the studio is not as bad as the outside. From the outside which is the parking lot, you would expect the inside of the studio to be dirty or filthy but its not like that.

The staff and the location of the lodge. The owner is very friendly, he came personally to greet and welcome us. He even allowed us to book out a little late. The towels and bedding was of high quality.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2016

spacious studio, gorgeous views.

spacious studio, gorgeous views. No staff around but lots of information about everything available in and around the studio. Kitchen looks well equipped.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2016

The staff were very helpful and always attentive, the owner...

The general feel of Camps Bay Glen is that of a slightly classier hostel. This property was way more rustic than in the photos that are online, when we got there the lady who does the cleaning said she was not aware that there were 3 of us even though I booked for 3, she said she would make up the sofa bed which I had no problem with until i had to spend my first night sleeping on it, it really was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in wow, half of it was super hard and the other half was super soft, which made for a very sleepless night especially after I acquired a very stiff neck. The carpet, the sofa bed was on, I don't thing has ever been washed, ever. Would have been better to just not have a carpet at all. The outside area isn't very well kept, which is a pity as its such a beautiful location and we had to fight for parking a little as there was not enough parking for all the guests staying there. It was just a little rough around the edges, I would recommend it to young group of friends who aren't really worried about where they sleep, I just really wish i had known how rustic this place really was going to be as my sister and I took my dad for his 65th birthday and we really wanted a nice place.

The staff were very helpful and always attentive, the owner kept in contact most of the holiday to find out if everything was going smoothly which is not something you get a lot of anymore and so this does make the service level amazing Camps Bay Glen is right at the foot of Table mountain, camps bay is a stone throw away, Hout Bay is not that far either so I couldn't have asked for a better location. You never feel unsafe as there is quite a lot of security features and there is always someone you can call if you feel the need. There is a book in the room that has been compiled with so much useful information

• Reviewed: 25 February 2016

View.

No secure parking. TV not working properly. Pool area equipment broken. Water fall had dirty sand bags in it. Curtains hanging off the rails. Lights in bedroom. Globes not working.

View.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2016

Location was perfect.

1. The towels smelly bad. Not enough for the family. 2. The shower booth was blocked. Couldn't take shower because of dirty water. 3. When we came back home at night the rooms and some dishes were not cleaned.

Location was perfect. Very close to Camps Bay Beach so easy to walk the beach every morning.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2015

Sticky floors and quite shabby interior Very dark kitchen (most lights did not work) The owner was more interested in talking about himself than listening to his guests Price did not reflect quality

The location The pool area

• Reviewed: 26 November 2015

The property was good value for money, and provided...

The guest book comments show that many people agree with the following: This place is ok, but it could be amazing. The location amidst a natural mountain glen is special. The ocean views are great. The pool is a good size. The apartment we stayed in (B) was a good size and very clean. But frankly, the finish is unneccesarily poor. Why not spend a bit extra to fit out the apartments with simple yet elegant furniture, rather than filling it with jumble sale items? The steps around the garden area, which must be used to reach the accommodation were steep, chipped and broken in part. There were several large areas of the garden which could have been beautiful oases, but were instead dirty, cluttered and falling into disrepair (for example by the river area, or the large braai area near apartment b). Overall, it was ok, comfortable enough for a group stay. But when you consider its potential, it's almost frustrating that ot doesn't live up to expectations.

The property was good value for money, and provided everything you would need for a good stay

• Reviewed: 15 October 2015

Fantastic house with pool and great views.

Fantastic house with pool and great views. Close to great restaurants on beach front. Mark, who owns the accommodation, is a fountain of knowledge and very enthusiastic to give you great tips on where to visit. Will definitely book this accommodation again.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2015

Swimming pool was great, cold but in summer it would be...

Nothing really.

Swimming pool was great, cold but in summer it would be magic. Loved the indoor fire and outside space. Plenty of room to sit and relax.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2015

The room was very private and and had everything we needed.

The bed and kitchen and bathroom was clean but when me moved the bed there was dust all over the place

The room was very private and and had everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2015

Location was great.

Nothing. It was fantastic!

Location was great. Place is amazing. Mark's constant messaging to make sure we made it safely because we landed in a day of heavy rain was very much appreciated. I would definitely recommend this to everyone looking for a hippie and cool place to stay in Cape Town.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

If you are looking for modern opulence, then Camps Bay Glen...

The first night I was there we had rowdy people in the main unit, but apparently Isaac diplomatically quietened them down after a neighbour complained

If you are looking for modern opulence, then Camps Bay Glen is not for you. This is a rustic comfortable property with heaps of character. The unit was well stocked and we were even able to cater for my family that came for lunch. I felt safe and was extremely comfortable. Isaac is an absolute gem and is very available if needed. I never met Busi, who cleaned the unit but the result of her presence was obvious on my return each day. Helps of hot water and an abundant supply of towels. I had views to the sea and up to the 12 Apostles, with the gently sounds of the brook cascading over the rocks just outside the bedroom window.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2015

The mountain stream which was in full flow due to the rains.

The lack of maintenance was bad. Leaking toilet for 2 days which created a pool of water on the floor. No tv remote. No person to greet us, had to be guided on the phone by owner how to find keys. Garden, pathways, Lounger cushions all wet & bedraggled. Outside lights not activated so scrambling in dark down steep stairs, resulting in more calls to handyman to help switch on lights & guide us to get into apartment as slider door faulty mechanism so we were locked out. Not pleasant for mum & kids alone late in evening.

The mountain stream which was in full flow due to the rains. The lovely housekeeper who tried to assist with the maintenance problems we experienced.

• Reviewed: 5 June 2015

From the sea view to the white water river tgis place was...

Just a few maintenance problems in the main house.

From the sea view to the white water river tgis place was really special. It was freezing and windy but we still managed to enjoy its beaty. We will be back!

• Reviewed: 8 April 2015

Spacious property ideal for young children to run around.

Spacious property ideal for young children to run around. Outside decking large with big table and hammock and beautiful views of the sea and Table Mountain. Located in a quiet area just outside Camps Bay. Located very close to the Table Mountain cable car, and the right side of town for visits to Kirstenbosch, Boulders Beach and Cape Point. Beautiful quiet beach a 5 minute walk away. Cleaning staff and owner very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2015

The garden was full of surprises, steps lead us to little...

The garden was full of surprises, steps lead us to little areas to cater for every mood. I could sit and read while listening to the stream, gather with friends in a forest setting, braai on our own patio, lay on a hang mat next to a beautiful pool (which reminded me of a Mexican villa), do yoga on the big patio next to our room…all in one day! Another great plus was the location, a 10 minute walk got you to the most beautiful beach . We stayed in “Lisa” the room itself was nice, comfortable and had everything we need, but if you expect a boutique hotel, this won’t be for you, it has a homely feel. The main house is just magnificent with a fantastic view, amazing deck with outdoor bath, beautifully decorated and great size to entertain a bigger group. We are definitely bringing the whole family soon.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2015

Stayed in Studio B (Lisa).

No bad experiences, but minor annoyances: 1) The double door window (the studio as no "doors") curtains didn't close properly, leaving a wide gap into the room (anyone could look in). This was fixed immediately by the handyman the following morning. 2) Took some instructions (from the same handyman) on how to operate the TV and cable box as there was no TV remote (someone had thrown it into the pool apparently). 3) On the second day, there was no sound on the TV (minor inconvenience, but annoying if staying in). 4) On the last night, the double door window locked itself due to faulty locking mechanism (and cannot be opened from the outside). I almost spent the night on the patio as it was too late to call someone. Luckily, a second door window provided access. Room decor and facilities were a bit dated. Studio could do with a makeover and a review of the access points (doors) to prevent people locking themselves out.

Stayed in Studio B (Lisa). The setting in the back of the guest house is a dream. Plenty of vegetation, nice pool, nice view over the ocean (and sunset). Quiet. Plenty of tables to sit and relax. The room was spacious. Isaak, the handyman was very friendly and helpful. The guesthouse is close to a convenience store (5 min walk) and provides a perfect setting for 1 or a group of people. Overall, a pleasant self-catering studio in a residential area.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2015

The pool is really big and it's quite peaceful to relax...

I would advise booking the main apartment (A) - this is big and has a living area, proper kitchen and bedrooms. Studio B is pokey, small, a bit grotty (though clean), and cooking facilities are not great, there just isn't the space.

The pool is really big and it's quite peaceful to relax there. There were no staff on site but when we had a problem, a staff member came in to help, also cleaning staff were good and lovely people.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2016

Everything looks old. It can use some renovations

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

Extremely obliging landlord

Extremely obliging landlord

• Reviewed: 9 December 2015

Fantastic setting with pool and brasi facilities

Fantastic setting with pool and brasi facilities

• Reviewed: 8 November 2015

Good value for money accommodation.

Good value for money accommodation.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Fully fitted kitchen

Fully fitted kitchen

• Reviewed: 1 September 2015

its fun quirkiess, combined with an amazing view, plenty of...

its fun quirkiess, combined with an amazing view, plenty of space and comfort

• Reviewed: 1 July 2015

Great Location for Cape towm Well equipped accommodation

Great Location for Cape towm Well equipped accommodation

• Reviewed: 8 June 2015

Fantastic locality, lovely place to relax making use of the...

Fantastic locality, lovely place to relax making use of the private pool and grounds. Short distance from town.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2015

Good location, out of the fierce wind.

Apartment very rustic, could use a more modern update

Good location, out of the fierce wind.

There are also 6 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Camps Bay Glen traveller photo gallery