Reviews of De Waterkant Lodge 3 stars

35 Dixon Street, 8001 Cape Town, South Africa

#159 of 249 B&Bs and Inns in Cape Town

great stay - the Lodge has character and felt great to stay there - very positive
    • 35 Dixon - Economy Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

nothing that I can think of

Great place to stay - full kitchen, lovely livingroom and terrace, good breakfasts taken either inside and or on another common terrace, lovely helpful staff - no complaints - would stay here again for sure.

Spacious, light, clean room with pleasant decor, & large...
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

Breakfast was fine but nothing outstanding (served in lovely room with balcony overlooking pretty local area).

Spacious, light, clean room with pleasant decor, & large balcony. Very helpful & attentive staff. Gorgeous location, close to centre & amenities.

Great location, several bars, cafés and restaurants in the...
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

Great location, several bars, cafés and restaurants in the neighbourhood, supermarket is close, many ares like Waterfront and Bo Kaap in walking distance. Lovely rooms, fantastic terrace with a view of Table mountain. Very friendly and helpful staff

It was very clean.
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

The room I stayed was loud and I could not open the window as the room was ground Floor and just beside the road. I had to Close the shatter all the time as People passing could see just on the bed.

It was very clean.

It was a lovely guest house.
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

There are no reserved parking bays - only public street parking available and sometimes nothing nothing available for numerous blocks.

It was a lovely guest house. Nice street atmosphere with cafés and restaurants nearby

Loved this place

All good.

This was a great to stay within walking distance of the city centre, close to restaurants, and not too far from the waterfront. The area is charming and is very safe. The hosts Mico, Jeremy and Grant couldn’t have been more friendly and helpful. I definitely would stay here again and recommend it to fellow travellers. We liked it so much we stayed an extra night.

It was ok
    • 35 Dixon - Economy Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

The doorways with it closing by itself it is difficult to keep open on the front door and doesn't stay open when you want it to.

I love the architecture and neighbourhood.

it was great, all round.
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

the shower taps are very difficult. makes it difficult not to waste water. the hot water tap is especially weird and needs a plumber to look at it.

location was perfect for my needs. I had the whole apartment to myself which was just brilliant. a stroke of luck.

Great apartment, location, clean, value for money

Upon checkin or while walking pass the reception, we did not feel very welcome. A smile is a little thing but goes a long way...^^

Great apartment, location, clean, value for money

A real treat, centrally located but felt like a complete break away from everything
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

It just felt so special staying here, the winding staircase to my room, stunning bathroom, great WiFi connection, view of Table Mountain from the breakfast terrace and a great location.

Nobody in the office after 4:30.

Nobody in the office after 4:30. The taxi driver gives the key... On first night we didn’t have hot water to shower and no WiFi. The manager is not friendly. We left after 2 nights, but weren’t embarrassed for the rest of the week.

Staying at De Waterkant Lodge was a great experience - and Cape Town is beautiful.
    • 35 Dixon - Economy Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

My room did not have an en-suite bathroom/toilet - I had to go there through a corridor. I had not expected that but it was only a minor inconvenience.

I had access to a terrace with a nice view as well as a kitchen.

Great place to be
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

Room street level. No sun and sometimes noisy.

Great location in the heart of the city. Safe. Nice decorations. Good breakfast with view on table mountain.

Totally enjoyed it! Great location and BEST staff service will bring me back!
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

Nitpicks. Wifi was okay. Not super fast but manageable. Walls are a bit thin. Staircase is a bit steep with heavy or large bags.

Staff was GREAT! While away for the day, the maid dropped my travel soap dish and broke it. Cheap piece, no problem. She reported it to the managers and there was a typed note of apology waiting when I returned. I have NEVER had that type of service and honesty from any hotel! Kudos to both! A little thing, but indicative of the care they take. Great location, very clean. Note that there are steps (no lift/elevator) but there's a great view of the area and Table Mtn awaiting at the roof terrace. Great for a getaway. Good value.

• 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

I warned everyone not to book this hotel. Infact Booking .com should remove them from he lists of the budget hotels and we demand refund of our stay. SERIOUS NUMBER OF REASON: 1) They charge late check-in without informing us. 2) They provided us a room without a proper bathroom. They expect us not to shower after traveling for so many hours and 2 nights of stay. They have provided a bathtub where they expect us to let the water flow in the tub without showering. They expect us to shower to lay down in bathtub. As it is not allowed to sprinkle the water in the bathroom cause they have built a bathroom that is not purpose to take a shower. 3) They remove the head of the shower of the bathtub without informing us on the second day. We were not be able to shower before we leave and take our longest flight back home for 18 hours. 4) When we ask the person-incharge (MICO) about the bathroom, He said we could not shower as it will cause water to drip downstairs. And we ask him (MICO) if there is an alternative for us to shower and he just said they are fully book. He is very nasty and disrespectful to his customer. In the fist place, why would they accept booking if they are fully book and they could not provide a proper bathroom. We have paid our stay there..He should not publish it and cheated us with a bedroom without a proper bathroom... 5) They provided us with a bedroom located in a attic area whereby we almost could not carry the bag as it was not a proper stares to carry a luggage. 6) The bedroom was provided is totally not fit to rent-out or to let the customer stay as it not worth a single amount of money or a cents... Lastly, the bedroom has a foul smell of pee or urine or smell from the drainage or coming from the toilet. We had so much great experience with other places we stayed in South Africa we booked from Booking.com and meet very nice people in Cape Town . This Waterkant horrible experienced almost ruined our last leg of our holidays..

We never like anything of this horrible place, they cheated us. They let us believe we will get a proper bedroom, instead they have provided with a horrible bedroom without a proper bathroom and expect not to shower on our 2 nights of stay. Or shower while you will drown yourself in a bathtub!!

Very good location and staff is very punctual.
    • 35 Dixon - Family double room

Sound insulation from the street is not very good (no double glazing). Sometimes there's no parking space near the property.

Very good location and staff is very punctual. Area is safe.

A fantastic place to take the load off your feet.

Nothing comes to mind.

From the moment we arrived, we felt right at home. Even though we, due to our program, could only enjoy breakfast on the first morning, we felt it to be more than adequate. We appreciated the unobtrusive cleaning and prepping cycles when one is not around.

The staff is quite friendly and helpful.
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

I was alerted by friends about the possibility of robberies in the city. Because of that, I chose to leave my necklace in the room. The irony was that I ended up without it when trying to protect it. I did not tell the staff at the moment because I was very tired the day I decied to leave it in the room and I could not remember where I had put it (also because the staff was very nice and I didn't want to make them feel bad when there was a possibility that my necklace was lost in my baggage). I hoped to find it when I got home and undo the baggage, but I came to the conclusion that it is gone.

The staff is quite friendly and helpful. They helped me with uber and with my tours.

Value for money: cleanliness, friendly staff, near SPAR
    • 35 Dixon - Single Room

Room, especially the toilet, was a bit cold for me so had to use the heater. Had the same breakfast menu the entire week.

Value for money: cleanliness, friendly staff, near SPAR

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Good location. Ok hotel. Horrible breakfasts. Poor service.
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

Service. Not polite people. No electriciry adapters for guests. My room was not cleaned because I left my laptop on the floor. Nobody onformed.me in advamce. Terrible ugly breakfast.

Nice room with shared living room and kithen what was nice. Much space. Giid location.

Excellent location and facilities at the lodge.
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

It's located in Waterkant, everything is reachable conveniently, in close proximity to Cape Quarter, shops, restaurants and clubs. A walking distance to the heart of the downtown business district of Cape Town.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

A happy and comfortable place to be in the heart of the mother city.
    • 35 Dixon - Single Room

Wifi was rather weak, but a minor issue in contrast to how nice the stay really was.

Staff are friendly and able to recommend a number of interesting places to explore or eat at. The accommodation is affordable, comfortable and relaxed, and in a safe central location. Stunning views of Arthur's Seat and the waterfront are to be had from the rooftop garden.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Very good place and good localization.
    • 35 Dixon - Economy Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Very difficult to go to room with luggage because there are a lot of stairs.

Breakfast is very good, Mrs. Delice is very good person and also serventes from room and breakfast.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Neighborhood's great; not sure if I'd recommend this lodge though.
    • 35 Dixon - Family double room

Communication with reception wasn't great. We had to wait outside the door for over 30 minutes upon arrival. May have been part our fault, but still I would expect someone at reception during opening hours. Guys at reception weren't overly helpful or friendly. It was ok but not very welcoming all in all.

Location is great, very tranquil neighborhood. Room was good (very big, own bathroom). Bed was ok, but too short for us.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

great location, well priced, lovely roof terrace
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

had an inside room facing inner staircase so very little natural daylight but I saw another room whilst it was being cleaned and it was lovely and bright. It would have been nice to have a couple of comfy chairs on roof terrace.

great location, well priced, lovely roof terrace

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Perfect location, nice rooms especially the breakfast room...
    • 35 Dixon - Economy Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Poor WiFi in the bedrooms. Taxi booking to the airport when leaving - I asked to order a taxi but the taxi never came and I had to walk down the street with my bags to flag one down.

Perfect location, nice rooms especially the breakfast room on the top floor with its wonderful views. Friendly helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Much better places in Cape Town to stay (even if you are gay)
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

We visit Cape Town often, but will never go back to this establishment, although it is in the middle of the gay neighbourhood. * Unfriendly staff with an attitude. * Breakfast every day the same. Old bread. Sometimes no meat. Not good quality fruit. * Stairs make it very difficult to get to room. * We had to ask them more than once to clean our room properly every day. * No shower.

Good location - in the middle of everything, but noisy, because of bars and night clubs.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Location, friendly staff at reception, the view from the...
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

Breakfast was extremely poor and the lady attending to guests could have just as well not have been there

Location, friendly staff at reception, the view from the dining room

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

An ideal location to stay at with good value for money
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

The bed was Sweeky and recommend upgrading.

The reception by staff was excellent, breakfast variety very good. The view of the city from the balcony is beautiful and its proximity to CTICC and shopping facilitues very convenient. The evironment is quite and relaxing.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

check in, altough I came in late
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

early closing of reception not safe locality after 5pm, altough there are patrols nearby, its not safe place pipes are veeery loud

check in, altough I came in late

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Brief stay
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

I spent 2 nights over a weekend and on the first night, I spilled some coca cola on the sheets. Couldn't reach the front desk because they don't work weekends. the following day, my sheets had been removed (bed left bare/ not made) and all I had was a letter informing me that I may be charged for the dry cleaning if the stains didn't go off. Was relieved I had only one night left!

Privacy. Front desk was helpful in arranging taxis for me.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Nice hostel in a great location
    • 35 Dixon - Single Room

Sometimes a bit loud (very thin walls and close to the main street). WiFi was sometimes problematic.

Very nice and neat rooms. Very good breakfast and great location (close to Waterfront)

The stay was excellent.
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

The stay was excellent. .

Highly Recommended

Nothing at all!

The friendly, helpful staff were amazing. There was no query they could not/would not help with.

Home away from home
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

Very safe, wonderfully quaint accommodation.

The bed was very squeaky and the room was very small.
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

The bed was very squeaky and the room was very small.

• 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

Room right on the street. Too noisy. Room small.

Brilliant. I would like to spend more time exploring that neighbourhood.
    • 35 Dixon - Single Room

The B&B exceeded my expectations for the price and I especially liked the location.

The only deception was the batroom as there is no shower and...
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

The only deception was the batroom as there is no shower and only bath was possible. I claim and understood they are working on it.

Great little hotel in the heart of the Waterfront.
    • 35 Dixon - Economy Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Breakfast didnt have scrambled eggs and bacon. Only processed cheese.

Atmosphere. View. Facilities

Very good location, good value for money for Cape Town.
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

Street parking is suboptimal, but there was enough space, and there were car guards.

Very good location, good value for money for Cape Town.

Great short stay
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

Great location and excellent value for money.

Nice accomodation
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

The noise from the street.

Easy going staff, nice room.

small room.
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

small room. no view from the room. not so clean and old equipment in the room

Nice and comfortable place to stay at

Nice and comfortable place to stay at

just a fairly good place to stay for business
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

Should I return to CapeTown I would return to the hotel !
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

All staff were very helpful. Hotel location was good, next to shopping mall and restaurants.

A view to die for!
    • 35 Dixon - Single Room

I wouldve loved a hot brekkie

Amazing Location and amazing views

thanks for a really pleasant experince
    • 35 Dixon - Economy Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Friendly helpful staff, nice breakfast, convenient location. Thanks for a great stay.

area very nice, common areas good
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

was slightly cold, shorter than expected reception hours

area very nice, common areas good

Beautiful and fun

Wi-Fi

The bed and lounge was beautiful

Helpful friendly staff, great location, spacious comfortable...
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

Helpful friendly staff, great location, spacious comfortable rooms!

Staff is friendly and accessible

Staff is friendly and accessible

Everything warm welcome, courteous staff ,good arrangement...
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

Everything warm welcome, courteous staff ,good arrangement for airport shuttle and location was perfect

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Excellent position to operate from

Excellent position to operate from

excellent

no parking space

property was conveniently located.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

Quiet, clean and well located
    • 35 Dixon - Spacious Twin / King room

Room was large, clean and extremely comfortable. Very well located within Cape Town. I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Comfy rooms, wonderful staff and amazing breakfast

Comfy rooms, wonderful staff and amazing breakfast

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Good
    • 35 Dixon - Family double room

The bed was "rickety." It is an old copper bed and the whole bed "shudder" if I turned around.

Friendly manager

Great location and very friendly staff
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

For a couple our age the spiral staircase to the room was not acceptable. Noisy people below us arguing.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Laid back facility, safe neighborhood
    • 35 Dixon - Family double room

The old fridge was a bit smelly and did not cool properly.

Simple but fair B&B - you don't need more to have a good time in Cape Town.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Good bed.
    • 35 Dixon - Single Room

Pay extra for a late checkin

Good bed. Good price-value-relation.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

A lovely stay
    • 35 Dixon - Family double room

Aircon. The room is very hot

The stairs-way to our flat were a challenge for eldery...
    • 35 Dixon - Economy Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

The stairs-way to our flat were a challenge for eldery people and the luggage

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Lovely place, helpful friendly staff, lovely dining room on...

WiFi in the rooms

Lovely place, helpful friendly staff, lovely dining room on the rooftop with great views of the city

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

excellent

Staff.rooms.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

you get just what you want
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

I would have liked a shower instead of a bath

Quiet and easygoing place

Very good accommodation in Cape Town
    • 35 Dixon - Twin / King size rooms

The accommodation was fairly central, reasonably priced and in an interesting area of the city with bars and restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Nothing really.
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

The late check in charge of R150. Poor breakfast. Unfriendly staff in breakfast room.

Nothing really.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Youth hostel, not b&b
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

Rooms were not cleaned the second day, bad shower, felt more like a youth hostel.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Perfectly situated.

Perfectly situated. Super accommodating staff. Comfortable accommodation

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Great room and breakfast!
    • 35 Dixon - Single Room

A little bit sloped location.

Good breakfast!

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Great location and friendly staff
    • 35 Dixon - Standard double rooms

The lodge is well located and there were no issues when booking, paying or requiring a late check-in service. It was a grear start at Cape Town.

Location, breakfast and people very helpful

Many stairways without lift

Location, breakfast and people very helpful

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Great place to stay in Cape Town

The old world feel and location