Reviews of Hilton Durban Hotel 5 stars

12-14 Walnut Road, 4001 Durban, South Africa

#11 of 54 hotels in Durban

The stay at Hilton was fabulous.
    • King Guest Room

Perhaps the free WiFi code could be given as part of the keys especially because not all of us carry laptops and would like to use the free WiFi with our smart phones. I'll reserve my discontent with Booking.com for them, as their failure to submit my booking to the hotel and refusing to supply the required information to the hotel on request almost meant sleeping in the car or forking out more that what I'd been offered by them. Perhaps Hilton Durban can have a work with Booking.com on this failure and improve their relationship such that us customers aren't disadvantaged by Booking.com's failures.

The staff at the reception/check in were absolutely wonderful, considering the failure of Booking.com to submit my booking to the hotel. They kept updating and checking on us as we were waiting for Booking.com to confirm our booking, which they didn't. The hotel eventually offered us the same rate as given to us by Booking.com even though the hotel rates at the time were higher, effectively absorbing a loss brought about by Booking.com's failure to do their job. Of course everything about the room was top class.

Best comfy beds!
    • Twin Guest Room

Only one shampoo and conditioner to share between 2 people. The extra charge for room service made eating in expensive. The shop could stock a few more items supporting community shops. The double glazing windows didn’t seal properly.

The room and especially the bed was super comfy! It was excellent value for money! I would definitely stay there again! Best hotel bed I stayed in so far and I stayed in a single which was lovely and wide. Great comfy bedding!

Best place to stay near ICC
    • Twin Guest Room

There was not enough shampoo and other stuff in the room - one of each item, when we were staying there two of us. The water always spilled over from the shower, thus making a little flood in the bathroom, especially in front of the toilet.

The best beds I have ever met in any hotel all over world. So comfortable, so nice to sleep in. Wide range of meals to choose for buffet dinner and breakfast.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

mind blowing
    • King Guest Room

Your menu (breakfast) was everyday the same. I was there for 4nights, can you imagine- No fried chips, no smoked russians...bad :-(. i dont like pork sausages, nor beef sausages and I had nothing else to choose from except from those sausages.

i liked Cranberry juice ohhhhhh it was to die for. i also enjoyed your cream cheese hmmmm. It is safe, you cant just go/use the lift to your room or anyones room without an access key card- i liked that. We would leave the room untidy but late after the convention we would find it spotless. Thank you so much for that.

Excellent and enjoyable stay will definitely stay again
    • King Guest Room

The room was spacious and comfortable, Met my expectations. Housekeeping as very good and the staff were amazing. The reception area was so clean and beautiful such a great ambience. Breakfast was tasty and delicious and there was a large variety of everything to taste.

Eric
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room - Mobility Access

Not to many restaurant with in walking distance.

Very comfortable room, the breakfast included was unbelievable with selection, not just cereal and pastries. Service was second to none!! Outstanding value for the money

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Very friendly staff.
    • King Guest Room

Could not address a room issue during a 4 night stay. Allocated a smoking room, we were moved to a twin and told there was not another king available during our 4 night stay!! We could upgrade. Very disappointing, even if they moved us on the Monday for 2 nights when the hotel was clearly much quieter.

Very friendly staff.

Dissapointing Holiday at the Hotel Durban
    • King Guest Room

Staff at reception *FIRST IMAGE OF A HOTEL* was terrible. While booking in I already told my Wife that it will the first and last time that we are going to book into this hotel and we did not even see the rest of the hotel yet.

Food, breakfast and dinner, was satisfactory, but not what I expected from a "5star" hotel.

Location and staff
    • King Guest Room

We booked a non smoking room but we were allocated a smoking room that smelled like old cigarettes. The room was not fresh. Our bar fridge was locked on the second night. Not sure why

Location and staff

The welcome by the staff was awesome, the cleanliness of...

The welcoming and the friendly staff

The welcome by the staff was awesome, the cleanliness of the rooms and corridors was excellent, the breakfast was nice and tasty everything was perfect.

Friendly staff
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room - Mobility Access

I was however disappointed with the dinner on sunday the 29th July. We Decided to have my mother's birthday dinner at the hotel restaurant instead of going out. The food was really bad, I still regret having dined there.

The accommodation was lovely, comfortable and very clean. The rooms are very spacious

Parking fees should be charged upfront in order to prevent surprising fees on departure.
    • King Guest Room

Room was excellent with big king bed and very clean. There is a variety on the breakfast menu to enjoy the buffet, and for the 2 days spent, the meals were awesome!!!

All in all l was very much happy with everything except the pool other than that it was amazing.
    • King Guest Room

The pool... to be honest l was very disappointed, the location of the pool next to the dinning hall huh huh.. you have to go pass the people at the dinning hall on your swim suit to get to the smallest pool l've ever seen it's just not comfortable. That was a big NAY for me.

Everything was just BRAVO!....The beauty of the room, the luxury, the food was out of this world, the staff be so amazing and very friendly and they worked so hard to meet every single requirements we had. The place be so clean and very organized. I mean! The whole experience was just amazing! I can't wait to go back

Clean, friendly, good service, food was very good.

Our next door neighbour was very loud and we complained about it but nothing was done about it. Most of the night with them talking loud and playing music was very annoying considering we were travelling with a child.

Clean, friendly, good service, food was very good.

It was okay
    • Twin Guest Room

There was too much noise, there was like construction banging at 00:00. The parking system is inconvenient, you have to request parking validation every time you drive out.

The bed was comfortable.

No turn down
    • King Guest Room

No turn down Did not get our water in the room as specified I had a food tray that was left over which no one took out the room Requested room service for breakfast for Kids and was told to go to breakfast buffet

Excellent stay food could of been better

Booked at vasco restaurant .buffet limited ..more vegetables than anything

It was my husband an my birthday they set up.room to accommodate us with rose petals on the bed, bathroom.looked stunning.my husband was in awe .with box of linda chocolates ..stunning view

Comfort you expect, but shows signs of wear and tear. Time for a new hotel on the beach front.
    • King Guest Room

Shows signs of wear: carpet needs an upgrade, Doors of the tv/bar cabinet start Coming loose, must between the shower tiles. And small rations of complimentary shower gell.

Very comfy bed. Friendly staff.

Have stayed in better hotels
    • King Guest Room

Stayed at Hennesey park hotel in Mauritius was definitely better than Hilton Rooms were bigger and more comfortable Staff were very helpful compared to Hilton Hilton should invest in a phone charger for guests who have forgotten theirs other hotels offer this had to go out at night to buy one Guess you just paying for the name no real luxury or comfort They only offer one veg dish for their breakfast,disappointing

Cockroach in the room and clogged sink
    • King Guest Room

There is cockroach in my room, the sink was clogged and the water shower was inconsistent. Cold water comes in between the hot water.

The room service foods are good

Sweet wedding night
    • King Guest Room

Pricey room service... But I don't think it's fair to complain about that. I imagine it's the same in most hotels.

Comfortable bed and amazing breakfast. Informed the hotel it was my wedding night and they decorated the room and laid some Lindt to eat. Also on checkout, they gave us what we consumed from the bar fridge on the house.

Great rooms and nice staff, except for the manager at the...
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room - Mobility Access

The hotel car to take us to the airport was late, not ready at the booked time, and we had to stop for gasoline on the way as the tank was empty. The manager at the Big Easy restaurant was quite arrogant and did not listen to our complaint that our steak ordered medium rare, was served well done. He could have given us a small complimentary desert for example.

Great rooms and nice staff, except for the manager at the Big Easy restaurant.

Very convenient location. Friendly staff.
    • Twin Guest Room

The breakfast restaurant (vascos) used to have better decor with a more African theme.The breakfast spread was also much better previously. Carpets are a bit tired and worn in places. Parking charges should be waived if you stay a week. Overall I’ll be back but for international charge rates you expect premiums.

The staff at reception are amazing and deliver a world class service. The parking is super convenient. One of the waiters at breakfast (Tiny) goes out of his way to assist and get you anything you want. Well done he’s great. They provided ice after a large marathon that we’d completed.

The rooms were big and very comfortable.
    • King Guest Room

I wasn't happy with the fact that they charge you to use the wifi - every other 5 star hotel provides it free of charge. Very surprised considering the hotel is used frequently by business people - not cool Hilton

The rooms were big and very comfortable. I liked the fact you had a shower and a bath. The staff were very friendly and cannot fault the hospitality provided. Great location for the Comrades marathon Up run.

Enjoyed my stay great location comfortable and enjoyed the food.
    • King Guest Room

Pasta portion sizes in lobby restaurant on the small side. Considering most people where trying to carbo load for comrades. I was charged R12 for glass of hot water with lemon

Comfortable bed. Shower water temp just right. Great choice for carbo loading for Comrades nite before race. Happy with overall food quality. Would recommend the hotel, great location

It was a walking distance to the Comrades Expo in Durban.
    • King Guest Room

They can give us water everyday ( apparently you only receive free water on arrival ) and they need to fix their drainage system, you shower with a pool of dirty/soapy water on the floor. I booked for two, two months in advance and requested for a king size bed but we were give two single beds. They then promised to combine the beds on Saturday which they didn't until I reminded them. The classic was when they combined the beds and put a blanket inside the duvet inner. This really ticked me off, I will stick with Tsogo Sun.

It was a walking distance to the Comrades Expo in Durban.

Luxury and comfort galore
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

I was exhausted arrived at midday and I don’t know how but even though they knew I was waiting the room only got ready at 5pm.

That changed my booking of double beds to a king bed upon seeing that I’m with my husband and ofcourse they consulted me first.

The room was good but food was disappointing.
    • King Guest Room

We ordered the trio of bunnies and a butter chicken pizza. The pizza was excellent, but the bread from the bunnies were stale. I spoke to Lorraine and she said she will tell the chef, but i didnt get any further feedback. It was disappointing because i paid alot of money for the food that wasnt up to standard. Would have also liked to see the pricelists for the mini bar. And also bubble bath should have been available.

Nothing much
    • Twin Guest Room

Hilton hotel is a very good hotel and everything is safe even your car is safe. The only thing about the hotel is expensive but good though. For someone who will what to stay there i will say a big yes because it is very safe and clean and classic

Hilton is so far the best for me.
    • Twin Guest Room

Our stay was perfect, its a classy and very beautiful Hotel only the location of the Hotel isn't tht perfect, we struggled to find good and safer Shopping Malls around the Hotel but otherwise we are way too happy. Thank you

I loved the furniture and the linen in the rooms. The coffee shop sells fresh cake slices.

Will be back shortly
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room - Mobility Access

The bill was quiet high already so we skipped breakfast and got something to eat on the road.

The ease of making a booking and settling of the account. The dinner was good but a bit pricy for what one had.

An enjoyable quiet retreat from the busy world of the adjacent convention centre.

Very little.

Clean, quiet, and easy to get to my conference in the DCCC next door. I loved the helpful staff who were always polite and courteous. I arrived at the hotel after a long trip and had lost my hair comb, the staff however, on asking, produced one for me in short order. This simple response to my need set the tone for my whole experience at the hotel. With a group of colleagues attending the conference, we dined in the Big Easy. The food was excellent and the staff accommodating when we wanted to split the bill ten ways among us all.

Durban Hilton Experience
    • Twin Guest Room

the organisation of transportation was messy. We booked the tranpostation but ended up we had to wait at the airport for more than 45 minutes as our order was lost.

the bed was comfortable.

3.5
    We did have a nice view!
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

We did have a nice view! We expected more as The name Hilton is big but were little bit disappointed. Nothing special. Deja vu. The second day, the bed was done around 4-5 pm!...

Clean, good wifi, helpful staff
    • King Executive Room with Access to Business Lounge

There wasn't anything I didn't like

Without exception all the staff were very friendly and helpful. I had an executive room which allowed access to the lounge throughout the day, including breakfast The room was clean and well appointed

wouldnt reccommed any of my clients to stay at hilton for there honeymoon night. its just not specia
    • King Guest Room

We did not enjoy the fact that nothing special was done for us despite the fact that it was our honeymoon. Breakfast was not included into our nights stay either even tho it said it was but when i got there they said we had to pay extra. We decided to move to elangeni which was way better,rooms were the same like yours and cheaper but a buffet breakfast was included and champagne and the whole room was set up for us from there side... Hilton is good for the name but i feel its over rated but they didnt go out of there way to make sure we were comfortable and also there was no one to take our bags up to the room and on the night we got married we had to carry it up. hilton is a good place but just expected more from them thats all.

The room was clean and neat wich was great.

4.4
    It was a very disappointing stay for a Hilton Hotel. Be
    • Twin Guest Room

Bath mats were given in place of hand towels. Body lotion not replaced in three days. Hair in the shower drain from previous guest on check-in. Room not remade or cleaned by 16h45 on 11th.

OK, but it was just hard to get anything organised or to get help with simple things
    • King Guest Room

Staff were disorganised, unresponsive, unreliable and a bit impatient - training and supervision needed!

The Executive Lounge is nice and the staff there were very nice

great service and experice, thankyou all
    • King Guest Room

the omelette is the best

the Chef, and the waiters. because I am regularly in Durban on Business. they have got to know me better and I am happy with their service and mannerism. the Chef and I call each other bothers.

See you next year
    • Twin Guest Room

The Hilton Hotel Durban is a fabulous venue to attend a conference at the ICC. The doormen are absolutely brilliant and really take care - intact the entire concierge front office and restaurant staff are amazing. Response times by housekeeping and management on the floor is impressive. The revamped hotel is probably the best business hotel in Durban.

Excellent service and conveniently located
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

From check-in to check-out we received excellent service from the staff. The late night room service was fast and our food and drinks order was hot and delicious. At breakfast the next morning the restaurant did not have green tea, but our very friendly hostess got some green tea bags from another department so that I did not miss my morning cup of tea. The hotel is most conveniently situated next to the Durban ICC which makes it very convenient when you're attending shows and concerts at the ICC.

Short stay, but the hotel was very functional, tidy and clean. Staff were of great service!
    • Twin Guest Room

Staff were very helpful and facilities were very good. Varied choice of food and staff in the restaurants were very pleasant and helpful. Not far from the beach, 15 minute walk.

Just average. Maybe ok for business but not for leisure.
    • King Guest Room

Room was not ready on time. Poor check in service. Seemed chaotic at reception. No free Wi-Fi. Definitely not a 5 star experience. Should be rated a 4 star hotel to be fair.

Unhappy and not welcome in someone else’s house
    • Twin Guest Room

Did not upgrade my friends room before arrival .thus we did not use the business Lounge? Big easy restaurant over priced? Functions/ parties in the lobby. My oats porridge and eggs early morning before my cycle race was un eatable.

Location and excellent staff,buffet restaurant was good

Awesome place. Must visit!!
    • King Guest Room

I pre-booked and received confirmation for a higher floor, end room with a sea-view. Upon arrival the attendant who checked me in did not care to consider this. Completely ignored and continued to check us in to a room of his choice which was the complete opposite of my pre-booking request. The reception desk was the only annoyance with the stay. Everything else went well.

The welcome staff were super awesome. The facilities were clean and 5 star as advertised. The food at the Big Easy was amazing. I loved my stay.

Mediocre service - nothing to shout about or remember
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

No complimentary water daily - two little bottles supplied on arrival -

Need to improve staff friendliness- staff did their job - no attempt to make you feel welcome

Wonderful Staff, Reception, Cleaning Service, Security and Room Service
    • King Guest Room

You can rip off international clients with the prices of the mini-bar, but this is a complete rip-off and completely unethical.

International Standards for local value for money.

Not too bad but could be better by making parking free for your guests.

Rooms allocation, we asked our rooms to be next to each other such that we could easily check on our kids or they come to us if they wish to do so, only finding the rooms in different floors despite reconfirming through the call a day or two before we visited. We then had to spent an hour or so for compromising arrangement for the night, resulting into not being provided with welcoming orientation. Whilst the mini bar is meant to provide that convenience, I don’t think there is any value add to sell a 250ml for R50.00, I found that exorbitant.

Breakfast was incredible, and allowing kids to eat for free

Not the best, at that price, expected better
    • King Guest Room

Service and reception not great Concierge was slow Housekeeping phone rang forever Food prices are high versus quality Breakfast was a nightmare, staff seemed overwhelmed with number of guests

I am a very happy customer. I cant wait to come back
    • King Guest Room

Unfortunately, the parking is a bit small and with lots of pillars

The room was very spacious and the bed was massive and very comfortable pillows and duvet. The place was very quiet. I had an amazing time and the check out time was twelve. Thank you so much

Was only there for a night so didn’t have an opportunity to experience the hotel and surrounds.
    • King Guest Room

We had booked a room with a king bed but were given one with two singles which were eventually put together.

The ground floor restaurant where we had breakfast

Horrible . An informed decision equals never returning , reporting safety violations etc.
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room - Mobility Access

Engrained culture of dishonesty from security to duty manager . I will be reporting health and safety violations which led to my car being damaged

Staff were blatantly dishonest and lied. Christine N promised to call back the next day and did not ( did not expect her to call) My car was damaged . Was told that I had no booking Etc etc . According to the duty manager Akash, rules such as over booking and downgrading rooms without informing customers are part of the SOPs . He promised to email me the policy. Akash and the security company claimed that Akash was the General Manger. When I “caught them out “ , they apologised . I can go on.

Highly recommend this place for comfort and safety

Have the air conditioning working in rooms. Both our rooms had A/C but non-functioning. Our only but very important complaint is the lack of A/C in a hot city like Durban

A very spacious lobby and courteous staff. Rooms were large and well furnished and a large bathroom. Coffe was good. Not very close to the beach but walkable in 15 minutes. Concierge and bell hops very helpful.

I enjoyed my stay although it was too short, hoping to visit Hilton Hotel before the end of the year
    • Twin Guest Room

Cleanliness of the room was poor, stock was not replenished (tea/coffee, sugar, milk) no cutlery (teaspoons)

My room had a city view & could see Moses Mabhida Stadium. Bed was very comfy. Staff was friendly and helpful

awesome
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

The restaurant was freezing cold due to the air-cons we had to seat outside for dinner on saturday night it was a bit dark outside.

The staff was friendly and welcoming but my birthday was not special because was promised a cake but no one said anything i had to request it...otherwise everything else was great.

first of all when i arrived at the check in reception i was...
    • Twin Guest Room

first of all when i arrived at the check in reception i was never told about the charges of alcohol and other staff inside the bar fridge in my room as i was under the impression that its part of the high price i paid. and when i asked the manager she said i should have seen the notice inside the fridge and i felt like it was a trap to reap off more money for those ridiculous prices, secondly i asked the manager if she can change us to a room with the see view, she never got back to me as she promised she would. oooh Gosh there's lot more i did not appreciate. the hotel is ridiculously expensive for nothing. for such a high price i paid my expectations were high.

It was a relaxing holiday
    • King Guest Room

I was told I didn't include breakfast when I made booking yet I know I did even the consultant who assisted with the upgrading of rooms told me he included breakfast.It was so embarassing to be told you didn't pay for breakfast infront of other guests.That I didn't like after I paid R7230

Buffet breakfast was excellent,Rooms homely,bed and bedlinen comfortaand.Porters very polite and helpful

great location if your attending event at the Durban ICC.
    • King Guest Room

Located in city centre not safe

great location if your attending event at the Durban ICC. Breakfast was good, rooms are spacious clean and comfy. the gym is great

I will not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel business or leisure
    • King Guest Room

No free wifi No parking ticket for duration of stay, must get a new one every day Breakfast was terrible & Price exorbitant Never an available parking Bay

My expetation was not met
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room - Mobility Access

Everything was not planned properly, in one of my days I came late only to find out I had no parking had to drive myself to the parking of ICC without anyone giving me a direction to come back and in the morning was rushing to church only to find out exit card were not organized it took me 30 minutes to get an exit card

None it is only the name nothing differs to the other hotels

Convenient and pleasant ignore you don’t consider the 3 things I didn’t like.
    • King Guest Room

Room had a letter addressed to to a prior guest. Content of that same letter was dated 2017..? Long blonde hair left behind in the shower drain which I thought was terribly gross Fast was very disappointing at breakfast - not worth the R190 pp.

Very convenient location as we attended a wedding at the ICC We spent a lot of time at the bar having drinks and found our waiter, Vuyo, extremely accommodating and friendly. He went out of his way to make us comfortable.

Apart from breakfast experience and parking where i have to use ICC, i have enjoyed my stay.
    • Twin Guest Room

breakfast services at business launch and the parking was not available. i have to use ICC parking which did give me much of confort.

In Business luanch breakfast, the staff were overloaded with work. I was expecting the business luanch services to be better than the one at R floor. R floor got better services than business launch. i will be happy if the service can be improve at business launch.

Convenient, everything you could need for a quick stay
    • King Guest Room

Great hotel, good facilities. Very friendly and helpful staff. We had a enjoyable meal in the Ernie Els restaurant. Would definitely recommend if you are visiting Durban.

Clean, easy access to pool and gym, friendly staff, quick...
    • King Guest Room

Location, not walking distance to the beach, lack of enough parking, difficulty with the booking application

Clean, easy access to pool and gym, friendly staff, quick response to requests, happy with the option of paying when you arrive at the hotel

Lovely Stay
    • Twin Guest Room

The service at the business lounge was extremely slow. Some of the staff members kept on forgetting our orders. There was no manager to monitor the service.

The executive suite was very spacious and sparkling clean. The staff at the reception and house keeping were friendly and professional.

It was awesome
    • Twin Room - Mobility Access

If the rate was better 😁 we would have loved to stay and extra night or two, that would have been lovely

My special recommendation was respected and my wife was very happy with the surprise on how you guys did the room, it really made her feel special, thank you

Great Hotel 5 star.
    • King Executive Suite

nothing bad to say only compliments. Highly recommended.

i realy give this hotel a 5 star on every aspect: food great and the facility great. will say there in the future again.

• King Guest Room

Everything was fine but I had bad moment in the Restaurant where another woman come to me to ask if I did pay the bill, it was surprising for me coz it felt like I could leave without paying

i personally liked your reception, made us to feel at home
    • King Guest Room

i liked everything from reception, staff, food, facilities and the rooms, very ni ce indeed, if i can be called now, i can fly in no time just to be there, keep it up

Average for a 5 star hotel
    • King Guest Room

1) Parking exit is not marked adequately. It is quite a mission to find your way out. 2) Airconditioning in the rooms (1305 and 1217) was not operating to standards, even after maintenance ‘serviced’ same. 3) Valet parking and some flowers or plants could be added to the rooms, just that small touch. It is a 5 star property after all.

1) Doorman at reception is fantastic! 2) Worth the upgrade to the executive floors with business lounge access. Decent breakfast and canapés, as well as lots of drinks included in the upgrade. 3) Beds were amazing, and some of the best pillows I’ve had in hotels. 4) Rooms, bathrooms and public areas are very clean. 5) Stylish decor throughout the whole property with ample seating areas.

Everything was great except the parking issues.
    • King Guest Room

We had problems with parking that we paid for....my partner had to park at Icc and walk back to the hotel in the middle of the night. The hotel gave our parking to the wedding guest....we were so not happy about that

It's very clean and comfortable.

Terrible. I would not stay here again
    • Twin Guest Room

The hotel was in very poor condition and the staff were very rude and did not answer questions properly. They tried on three occasions to scam additional money out of us, eg asking us to pay for breakfast when it was already included in the room rate and we had an email confirming this.

fantastico
    • King Guest Room

The tv station should have all music chanels and the mini bar content are over charged like 3 times their outside price . The shower needs to be re-done cos water slip out when showering

everything in the room is perfect and comfy

Fun, comfortable spontaneous getaway
    • Twin Guest Room

The room was very spacious and comfortable. The in-house bar and restaurant was brilliant with very friendly staff and a great atmosphere. Very helpful and friendly staff. Great gym.

We loved the overall service from the staff
    • King Guest Room

The shower overflows to the bathroom floor it became almost level with water, the street noise of cars and trucks was very clear despite us being in the 7th floor and having the window shut, we didnt sleep well as a result of that.

We loved the overall service from the staff