Reviews of Hilton Sandton 5 stars

138 Rivonia Road, Sandton, 2196 Johannesburg, South Africa

#49 of 90 hotels in Johannesburg

Lovely hotel, excellent staff
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Maybe a sauna as part of the leisure facilities but not a major concern.

The staff were attentive and did everything possible to ensure a trouble free visit, definitely went the extra mile!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Average big hotel with room for improvement. Service especially.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The service was in order but definitely not worth the money. I had some issue with my booking which was not my fault and was not fixed as promised. Invoice was incorrect. Said bed & breakfast even though rate was room only. Bathroom amenities are very small and we only had one set in the room for 2 people

Its a big hotel at good location.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

• King Hilton Guest Room

Beautiful clean room. Comforting colour coordination. welcoming feeling. Room service excellent. I will definitely book for myself again. Thanks

out of this world.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Honestly i really loved everything. There's absolutely nothing i didn't like.

the bed was extra comfy and the room was super clean. staff very helpful and friendly. breakfast was delicious. overall, my expectation was exceeded.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

The location of the hotel was good.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The quality of the room was not up to standard. There was a smell in the room from lack of cleaning. There was an issue with the parking rate per day - upon check-in I was informed that the parking rate was higher than what was quoted on the Booking.com confirmation. After complaining about this, Hilton honored the Booking.com confirmation rate.

The location of the hotel was good. The staff were courteous.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

convienant.
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

The food and service in the bar was below standard, it took a long time for the food to arrive, the steak was poor quality and the staff were not that interested. I found the bar area lacked atmosphere and it was drafty!

Reception staff were very helpful, accommodated a early check in which I was grateful for, having just come off a night flight. Room service was good.

not bad
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The hotel is away from shopping malls. Not all staffs are attention to details.

It is good for people who wants to be away from everything. complete silent and get away

The Hilton service standard is brilliant.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The hotel rooms and gym are outdated and need an urgent make over. Guests shouldn't have to pay for parking at any hotel.

The Hilton service standard is brilliant. The staff really make you feel at home especially with kids. I absolutely love all of them. Food is great.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Jabbar Bhatti
    • King Hilton Guest Room

If charges could be reduced a bit for non business type guests ie, those coming for leisure

Very cooperative staff, good breakfast, and free shuttle tpt to city centre.

Nice hotel
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room

The person who was helping me to make the check in was a little rude because in the time was speaking with her in English she was speaking with her colleague in Africans or in her language and laughing so I didn't know if she was laughing at me or ... so I didn't like this, and her behaviour was awful.

The room was very nice and comfortable. The breakfast was very amazing, you have different options.

Staying at this hotel is an amazing experience.
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room

Staying at this hotel is an amazing experience. The staff are amazing and their level of customer service is exemplary. The hotel is classic and comfortable and the facilities are excellent. So much better value than other hotels in the area. We always look forward to our next visit to this hotel.

I enjoyed the stay but I prefer the standard room which is more spacious and better value for money
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room

executive room was smaller in size yet very expensive compared to services we get. Executive Lounge is tight, no decent calm area for work, long check-in process that is still done at lobby reception. no attendant to manage small requests

Cleanness and general staff attitude + shuttle bus punctuality. Breakfast is very good as well

The breakfast was amazing.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

I did not like how the security guy approached me before checking in. Some employees looked like robots, they were not rude, but they were not kind either. Totally different treatment from the first time I was there.

The breakfast was amazing. Also the staff from check in as well.

wonderful hotel and great property. i loved the layout the security as well the hospitality.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

I was charged an extra R 40 for parking the morning of checkout which i didnt appreciate, i was not informed of this during check in.

Zama at the reception was very helpful. all the staff have exceeded my expectation with regards to hospitality. As a vegeterian they also accomodated me during breakfast and even asked me if i wanted something out of what they had. Hilton Hotel has a great team working

Comfortable with good service
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Keys often disconnected themselves and we had to get them deactivated. Small issue - otherwise excellent.

Breakfast staff were very attentive. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. Rafilwe was a great waiter.

Terrible
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Service and staff especially from receptionist Roxanne terrible people person... We were embarrassed and this really made us even not stay there any longer... Thought it would be amazing but it was the worst.

The Decor is great

The views at night from my room
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Did not enjoy the breakfast at the executive lounge. The omelette I ordered was not what I got. Hotel staff over zealous

The views at night from my room

Decent property. will definately go back.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

I did not like the view form my room. 152 was my room number. I had the lamb curry for dinner previoulsy and it was delicious. Ordered it this time and it was about the worse I have had. Huge pieces of fat and bad cuts of meat. Was so rubberery I could not even eat it. When I informed the waiter his response was the chef apologises but the meat was sent from the butcher like that. Disappointed as you do not pay almost R200.00 for portion for this.

The breakfast was divine. Reception very helpful. Requested an early check and it was arranged.

Great hotel - so close to the samdton city mall. Great services- would come back!
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

One of the check in staff was rude. You should have zero attitude working in customer service

Lovely classic hotel. Great breakfast- especially the scones!

Good location and friendly staff. Housekeeping could be improved.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Servicing of the room was fairly average. Had to call back housekeeping on a number of occasions for simple things like towels, shampoo, etc. Not what you'd expect in a 4 star+ hotel.

Great breakfast selection.

Relaxing and very comfortable.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Love the staff. Howard is an awesome person and he is super kind.

Did the property meet your expectations? The pictures that were advertised online we not how the rooms look. Their wonderful supervisor Howard upgraded us to a suite which was really awesome seeing that is was our anniversary.

Definitely not 5 star - City Lodge is a better option
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

Phone was not working I waited almost 20min before i could go check in because doorman kept asking me to come around as guest in shuttle had to load luggage and leave first Shower flow strength was weak - was just drizzles, cold water as temperature setting knob was broken and bed was very uncomfortable No free parking

Friendly reception desk staff

Superb Hospitality in a Great Location, 5-Minutes from Mandela Square, with Excellent City Views.
    • Deluxe King Suite

All terrace suites are in dire need of an upgrade in furniture and aesthetics. The patio in particular is disappointing for all but the view. Breakfast in the Executive lounge is particularly limited but as this is mostly common to all hotels, perhaps only just more-so than expected. The executive lounge furniture is also dated and in some cases close to the corner drapes, unpleasant. The hotel could improve on the supply of Vegan options for guests with food allergies and in training staff to accurately distinguish between Vegan and Gluten-free dishes. Another area of improvement is in the variety of options available at breakfast, though what is on offer is of generally high quality.

The dedication to service of employees, especially those in the main restaurant, the front-desk and concierge / transport services, displayed is commendable. In the main restaurant for Dinner, the service ranks among the best we've experienced. An extremely child / infant friendly environment. The quality of food in the main restaurant is decent for breakfast and well above average for Dinner. The Shuttle transport services are convenient and on schedule. Rooms appear to be well maintained and housekeeping generally does a good job during general cleaning and turn-down service. What we take most from our visit to the Hilton, Sandton in Johannesburg is the connection we were able to form with her people.

Breakfast superb and so too restaurant staff.
    • King Suite

Rooms are tired and old. Towels are not soft - booked room for 3 but only two sets of towels. Took ages for towels to come. No rollwaway bed in room and when requested at bedtime did not come. Had to ask for GM intervention. People on phones say “yes” a lot then nothing happens. Also phone in our room did not ring. Just flashed. Poor quality old equipment. GM was moderately helpful.

Breakfast superb and so too restaurant staff.

Was good
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The burger I ate during dinner did not taste fresh and it gave diarrhea for two days.

Staff friendlyness was excellent,the environment including the room I was in was up to standard, thank you.

Overall disappointed.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

We booked the restaurant for their Aisan night but this was cancelled an hour before dinner. We would have booked a restaurant elsewhere had we know earlier so we ate off the al a carte menu instead and were disappointed with the quality of food for a 5* hotel. Over attentive waiters/waitress'.

We booked 2 rooms through Booking.com but on check in the hotel could only find 1 room. Fortunately we were able to book a 2nd. On return to UK we found we found we had been charged for the room they were unable to find on the day and charged for a no show! Not happy but Booking.com resolved the issue and we got our refund, minus of course bank charges for the exchange of currency.

Wasn’t totally impressed Only because of the things I didn’t like - beds and pillows to be mor.
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

I requested a room with a good view when booking , hoping I am fortunate the next time . Bed and pillows were old and uncomfortable, wardrobes broken , poor variety breakfast AND VERY EXPENSIVE!

Convenient location , friendly staff, ! lounge areas great ! beautiful clean hotel ! One of the best

Rooms are pretty big and comfortable.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Rooms are pretty big and comfortable. They are clean. Breakfast awesome for variety of food and freshness. Service was excellent. I’d like to go back again

comfortable and peaceful
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

I think you guys are all that a hotel should be

we were pleasantly about everything in the hotel the staff were very hospitable the breakfast delicious our king size bed was a dream amazing I have stayed in hotels internationally and local yours tops the list beautiful Keep it up

It was great
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

whenever we called to ask for something e.g a plug or tea bags it would take forever and would always call back

the ambience was good and the staff friendly, the doorman extremely helpful and friendly. I liked the cell phone charging corner at the reception. Its a nice peaceful and cozzy place

Amazing personal experience!
    • King Hilton Guest Room

I booked my parents in for their 10th year anniversary and it was their first time in a ‘fancy’ hotel. The staff at the Hilton went Out of their way to make the experience special. Katlego went as far as a greeting sign to welcome them, some bubbly and rose petals on the bed. Thank you Hilton Sandton. You made my parents stay extremely memorable.

Great hotel, all was perfect.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

It is not cheap hotel, but I got excellent deal for 3-night stay.

Fantastic breakfast, spacey rooms with all amenities, satellite TV and wifi very good. walking distance from Nelson Mandela square. I left some shirts after the departure, that were collected and delivered to my local partners.

excellent position of the hotel.
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

they told us there were no rooms available even though we booked 2 weeks in advance on bookings.com but the manager sorted it out.

excellent position of the hotel.

Unpleasant due to the fact that we were not informed about the renovations at night.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

How is it possable that a 5 star hotel could start renovations to their kitchen at 17:00....and with jack hammers??? We phoned 3 time to find out what the hell is going on and they lied to us. Eventually i insist to speak to manager on duty...🙈 He then informed me about the renovations and that it is going to continue untill 22:000...The jack hammer stopped at 10:30 but then they continue through the night with hammers. It was a very unpleasant night.

Very good hotel.
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

Liquor prices too high. When eating at the Japanese Restaurant they threaded a toothpick through the cellophane enclosing the wooden chopsticks. When sliding the cellophane off, the toothpick went deep into my left thumb. Very painful with blood dripping. One of the diners called the manager, as it was a ridiculous thing to have threaded the toothpick into the cellophane - something one does not notice.

Bed a little hard

comfortable beds
    • King Hilton Guest Room

i was coming from Capetown, Durban then Jhb. My room was not ready at 19h30 even though check in is at 15h00. The front desk staff kept on checking if room was ready. After waiting a while he decided to allocate another room. to my horror at night, the room had an inter-leading door and dry wall dividing the two rooms (523). I couldn't sleep the whole night, hearing everything from the room next door. i was just too tired to try and change rooms at 23h00pm. Totally unacceptable.

comfortable beds

Please Renovate the hotel
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room

The beds make so much noise,we could hear the couple next door

Desmond was very friendly and the guys working at the game were very friendly and helpful

Awesome
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The friendliness and professionalism of the staff made a huge difference to our stay. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely stay at the Hilton on our next trip to JHB.

A top notch breakfast with freshly pressed juice made to...
    • King Hilton Guest Room

We had a room closest to the elevator and we could here when it went up and down in the middle of the night.

A top notch breakfast with freshly pressed juice made to order. The pool was very nice. Quality of the hotel was what you could expect from a Hilton Hotel. We enjoyed our stay!

Overall great place to stay

Price hike on checkin

There was a huge disconnect between the offer on booking.com and what the hotel ended offering. It was disappointing considering that on booking,com the price was reasonable but was told that they where wrong :(

Only place to sleep.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

I stayed several Hiltons in different countries, but the worst ever. Totally agree with other reviews saying only place to sleep. The reception was very rude and doesn't give an enough explanation.

Nice breakfast. But, unpleasant with staff's Chinese langauage. I guess he assumes all Asians are Chinese.

Amazing staff at a quality hotel
    • King Hilton Guest Room

More choice of food at the hotel the menu needs more options in soups and desserts

The hospitality and the staff in general are amazing. The place is clean and people are very helpful

Staying here is a good choice - you won't be disappointed.
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room

Maybe not that we had a dislike, but it has more to do with selection/variety for the High Tea, in the Executive Lounge. We had hoped there was more of a full buffet of delectables for us to sample. But maybe it is because we are foodies.

We had a good experience at the hotel in relation to how the staff treated us. This hospitality started right from arrival, check-in, and finally being taken to our rooms. Our hotel porter was a friendly gentleman, and we had a nice chat in the elevator all the way to our room. I remember him asking us if it was our first time, to which I responded, no. Generally throughout the hotel you get very friendly staff, even at the hotel entrance when awaiting your Uber, I remember one of the staff member going the extra mile of helping me track down our car, by calling out plate numbers as cars kept arriving. I was impressed to say the least.

Great value for money, and excellent staff!
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

It was my wife and my anniversary and you did the room very beautifully with rose petals, and champagne. I was very greatful and impressed. Thank you hilton Sandton!

good hotel, excellent rooms, facilities, abysmal service, staff left a lot to be desired
    • King Hilton Guest Room

abysmal restaurant service in the evenings. abysmal WiFi service. supervisor in charge of wifi was under the erroneous impression that simply ensuring good wifi connection was some kind of favour to his guests. put him straight right sharpish. what rot!

clean, well appointed rooms.

First time at Hilton, Sandton. Horrible exoerience!
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The manager, Sarah and the rest of the evening staff made my stay a living hell! The experience was chalk and cheese from the gentleman who checked me in! There was simply no concept of a guest in the hotel. People felt they were doing me a favour. The manager was worst. She never took charge of the situation or followed up with me to ensure my stay was a memorable one at the Hilton (at least with good memories).

I was met with a lot of warmth at reception. The gentleman explained everything clearly. He was very professional and made me feel very welcome!

Not impressive
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

Dinner Table wasn't set up as requested My husband's birthday dinner ended up being a mess Swimming not working. Not informed on making booking Expensive parking Hotel is generally old

Breakfast but too expensive

Ok stay, just don’t waste your money on the executive floor, book B&B only.
    • Twin Hilton Executive Room with Access to Executive Lounge

Booked an executive club room and on arrival at hotel was informed that the lounge was actually closed until the last night of our stay. Had to go to the main breakfast restaurant. They did set aside an area in the downstairs bar for drinks on the other nights, but it was a couple of snacks and beverages. When it opened on the last night we were told they were not serving drinks after 8pm and we had been out all day but yet the website says until 11pm. We had a go buy a few drinks downstairs. Could have saved a fortune had they bothered to mention up front about the executive lounge. The rooms for executive floor were also tiny and not very nice. We’re also informed that the pool was probably too cold to swim in.

Shuttle to sandton city mall was good.

It was just ok... I doubt I'd come back
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

The staff/service at the restaurant was SUPER slow and the restaurant wasn't even full. The food was just ok as well.... nothing The carpet in the room looked liked it could get a good scrub and the wooden floors too

The bathroom was lovely

Lovely welcoming and stay but no water and unbothered staff
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Lack of water out of the tap in the bathroom about 11 am asked the cleaner and she seemed surprised thqt no one had told me that it would cut off but she didnt know when the water would be back or why it happened. She quickly offered bottled water instead which was useful as I only needed to brush my teeth but imaginr had I not showered ?! Would i have fo suffer not bathin in such hot condifions when i asked the staff at reception I got an unbothered "sorry" the staff in general were not empathetic about the whole situation

Nice christmas vibe , clean environmenf

there are many 5 star hotels in this area and this could easily be the worst.Stay somewhere else
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The pool was green and the grass area next to the pool was covered in cigarette butts and paper cups when complaining to reception they said they had reported the matter previously but nothing done since about christmas Room smelt of stale cigarrette smoke

not much

Facilities are 5 star. Hotel staff especially front desk need to welcome guest a bit more.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Room service didn't have ice cream. Hotel staff including the manager prioritised international guests over local guests. Restaurant in house took over 15 minutes to serve us drinks. We left to Trumps grillhouse and casa del sol for dining

Loved the pool.

Aweomse

Above. Thanks

Breakfast was amazing and all the staff were lovely. The only thing is I would suggest not having to pay for parking. It’s a small and silly expensive so it wasn’t about the actually money but more the principle of having to pay for the parking when one has already paid quite a bit.

My stay was bad
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

The treatment was bad more especially on us blacks and it was mostly done by the very same black stuff, from security no manner of approach, greetings whatsoever the look you get is of a suspect

Fairly comfortable - could have been better
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Better communicatonight training at the receprion staff To have to pay for parking - a rip off!!!!

Breakfast/staff in restaurant The front reception, one member thought she was doing us a favour By talking to us regarding our booking!!!!

Lovely but needs upgrades and improvements
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The room standards didn't not meet the lobby standards as the lobby is quite fancy and classy and the rooms are not. Some things in the room are broken or old and it dampens the stay

The staff and lobby decor and feel as well as the bed.

all in all, great.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

not having been notified beforehand that I would be billed for the contents contained in the fridge, i was under the assumption they were complimentary.

the comfortability of the bed, as well as the facilities and cleanliness of the hotel in its entirety.

Hotel and beds are very good, but service needs to be more efficient and flexible.
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

Swimming pool closes at 6pm. Would have liked to swim between 6-9pm. The food we ordered was promised to be delivered in 20-25 minuets, in fact, it took more than an hour and several calls before it was delivered.

hotel looks good, beds are comfortable.

was very nice and pleasant
    • King Hilton Guest Room

rooms need to renovated the hotel is now very old the carpets are stained the towels are not soft for a 5 star hotel, the furniture is old and the aircons are terrible they just don't blow cold enough.

yes beds were very comfortable only the shower the clip that holds the shower head was broken so we had to hold the shower head in the hand to shower.Breakfest was tops and the staff service was great.

Decent value for money, but not a 5 star experience by a long shot
    • King Hilton Guest Room

We had a lunch in the Faces bar area. The food was poorly prepared, and staff were distracted with conversation amongst themselves to check up. We had to indicate several times to three people standing around that we needed drinks, condiments, a re fill, the bill, and finally payment. The area was not busy, with only one other table, who was equally neglected

The hotel is within walking distance of the train, the room is spacious and comfortable.

Horrible
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

Horrible staff - reception is pathetic, rude and unwelcoming, upon leaving the man who checked me out was even mocking me that I was going to the airport much earlier than my flight... - restaurant is just a waste of time... Completely illiterate staff and clueless about food & cuisines that exist... Horrible experience!! No pick-up planned at airport despite booking made & no apologies from hotel. The airport shuttle (little car) that costed zar680!!! Which dropped me to the airport upon leaving was so smelly and dirty... Absolutely disgusting and not worth the money I paid!! What a disaster was that stay!!! Not to the level of a Hilton!! My advice is to fire all your useless staff and they should be banned from setting foot in hospitality ever again!!!

Satisfatory in terms of hotel but impractical and wouldn't stay again

Bathroom outdated Pool only open from 10-6pm Location ver poor without an airport shuttle which meant extautionate taxi fares to and from hotel.

Breakfast and food excellent

Not great.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

I did not like the check in service. No offers to carry my bags from car to reception and up to my room. No offer of even a trolley. The receptionist knew I was struggling but did nothing. Bed was very uncomfortable.

good solid 5 star hotel meeting all the brand requirements
    • King Hilton Guest Room

when a group check in is at the same time as normal travellers not enough staff on duty and ignoring the hilton honours holders . not good for your frequent visitors. the bar in the reception floor is not always manned

The junior suite is very spacious request a high floor .Due to noisy club in reception . Underground parking and very good front office staff .

good location with wrong attitude
    • King Hilton Guest Room

bar tenders at pool bar don't really care - but drinks were okay Aircon was desastrous, pushed the room temperature to 24 and more - absolutely not pleasant The WiFi is a real disgrace for a place like that - in this price category at least a basic package is a must - extremely disappointing, especially when you want to do online check-in for flights and you are restricted to E-band speed

the location to Sandton centre is great - within walking at any time of the day pool and garden are good for some relaxing hours

Unexpected pleasures Thanks to the staff.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

Even though the hotel is slightly outdated in terms of decor , it still presented a classical presence.

The staff went out of the way to ensure that we had an amazing time. Thank you to the Guest relations lady, Katelego for everything you did for us. Also a big thank you to our waitron at Dinner who was particular in her service , regarding food happiness and comfort, she even picked up that it was my husband's birthday and ensured a surprise fruit basket. I recommend the starter- "pumpkin cinnamon soup with vanilla ice cream"...very different but very yummy.

Service was wonderful and very accommodating.
    • Twin Hilton Guest Room

Service was wonderful and very accommodating. Close proximity to shopping and dining a plus without the constant noise and traffic associated with commercial areas.

I wanted a different experience from other hotels we've been to. Hilton did not meet my expectations
    • King Hilton Guest Room

*Interruptions from staff knocking at our door very early in the morning *No free parking *Breakfast at an extra cost *no access to the pool side in the morning, I was told to go ask for keys to unlock the door to the pool area- too much admin

The Bed was comfortable, room nice & spacious

Worth it

It took forever to place an order with our waiter at dinner and another 50 minutes before we received our food which was slightly cold.

The delightful lady at Reception named Joan was of great assistance in helping us with our reservation:)

Comfortable bar the dislikes mentioned above.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

1. Paid R3800 for two nights and breakfast was not included. They charge an additional R250 per person for breakfast. 2. To use WIFI you are forced to join the Hilton Club, otherwise you have to pay R80 per hour. 3. Room service has a mandatory tray charge of R60, and then you still pay a tip.

The room was clean. The Staff provided excellent service.

Great wedding night stay

Pillows were too flat

It was our wedding night and the room was set up perfectly with rose petals, complimentary drinks and strawberries. Staff were very friendly and welcoming and saw to our needs.

Dissapointing
    • Hilton Deluxe King Room

On check in we were told that we were getting a standard room instead of the deluxe king room we booked. The reason given was that the hotel was very busy...?

Friendly cleaning staff

No value for money, substandard finishes and uncomfortable accommodation.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

The shower was old , bath tub was shocking. You had to pay R50 to park your car. You had to pay R60 butler service when ordering food. Beds were shocking and old.

Leaving and the staff were amazing.

A great start to what was a great holiday, thankyou.
    • King Hilton Guest Room

No indoor pool , it was a bit to chilly to venture outside.

The bed was sooo comfy and the breakfast choices were numerous and plentiful. The staff were friendly and no request was to much for them.

in the Hilton Sandton you will feel very comfortable and good. staff is very helpful and friendly!

All good!

The breakfast was very nice with various options for all kind of people who are taking care of their nutrition. The staff did an excellent job, very warm welcome of the guests, very friendly, helpful and professional service.

Browse Hilton Sandton traveller photo gallery