Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre 3 stars

101 St George's Mall, Corner of Church Street & St George's, 8000 Cape Town, South Africa

#99 of 152 hotels in Cape Town

The location is not safe for foreigners and tourists.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location is not safe for foreigners and tourists. One has to be really careful while going to an ATM around there. There are fake security people who look authentic and offer to help..... do not trust them!!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Beyond expectation
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

The Holiday Inn Express Cape Town is ideally situated for both the businessman and the tourist who wants to be in the heart of it all. Within walking distance of many of Cape Towns top tourist attractions, businesses and restaurants as well as the train station and public transport stops one does not require a car although secure parking is available for guests. The staff are effecient, friendly and helpful and the well appointed rooms are spotless and comfortable with attention to both detail and quality. Although it is situated in the heart of town it is not noisy. Ideally situated for anyone catching an early morning train.

The staff were very helpful and friendly.
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms were very clean. The breakfast was more than enough and the best of all was the coffee and the pastries.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

I was mightily disturbed to be hit with a Tourism Levy on...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I was mightily disturbed to be hit with a Tourism Levy on checking out. I have stayed here before and never had to deal with this. My organisation pays my bill beforehand through Booking.com and there was no mention made of it. I was also not there as a tourist, so refused to pay.

Staff is very friendly and helpful, there is security...
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Wi-Fi was a little bit slow

Staff is very friendly and helpful, there is security 24/7. The room was clean and comfortable, also you can walk to the waterfront about 20 minuets with very nice views. I really enjoyed staying there

Their Apartment clean and enough space.

Absolutely nothing bad

Their Apartment clean and enough space...their Breakfast also good and healthy. The staff is so friendly and didn't know about the ihg group member one of the lady at reception explained to me about it ...thanks to Holiday Inn enjoyed my holiday with my kid

Excellent.. highly recommended
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location of the hotel.. really like the environent..nice shops around..rooms very clean and the staff were very helpful.. esp those working on the ground floor.. thanks for everything..

Kevin Nel & staff were very helpful
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

Kevin Nel & staff were very helpful They made our stay enjoyable and assisted us with all our queries Even the Security personnel were amazing with hospitable qualities I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends

value for money
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

woken up at 5am daily by enormous noise...lots of construction sounds too. no view of the mountain from our room as expected

extremely friendly, fabulous staff

Awesomeness!
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

I would've preferred a breakfast to include a variety of choices like omelette instead of scrambled or boiled eggs.

Configurability, accessibility to other social amenities,landmarks and historical sites.Staff are warm and friendly vans theorizes are nice and clean.Room service is excellent.

Our stay was very comfortable and relaxing
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would like softer towels in the bathroom.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was value for money. We like the location and the affordable rate for many of us. we had easy access to many coffee shops and eating houses within walking distance.

Great Stay in the Beautiful City of Cape Town
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is tasty but also redundant after 2 weeks of stay... if they could make some "Monday" specialty or mix things up a bit it would be a perfect 10!

The room Nice and helpful staff especially Mrs Fisher who went her way to satisfy and answer our questions. Everyone was respectful and friendly. It made our stay very enjoyable. There also was a security guard on the hotel entrance even late at night which made us feel even more secured.

Location wonderfull ....
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

To leave the hotel and Cape Town!!!!!

althow you are in a big city the room was so quite and we sleep without any street noice. The service of the workers was excellent and we feel so welcom to there hotel. The breakfast was very fresh and wel prepaird.

Great cost-benefit

Everything was perfect!

The hotel location is very good, with plenty of great restaurants nearby and very close to Lions Head and Table Mountain by car. The accommodation was great, comfortable and very clean. The breakfast was good with plenty of options. And the staff is amazing! They welcomed ya very well and helped us with all information regarding excursions, restaurants and safety. Thank you very much Yonella and Peter for your kindness, attention and availability to help us with everything we needed!

Can be a good start - near the hop on hop off bus line hq
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

After the sun went down - it was not safe in the street in front of hotel - security walked me to a nearby resteraunt - its actually a service they provide.

It was in the heart of the old city of Cape Town near St George church- that through out its 300yr history accepted all to worship as equals -

Our stay was AMAZEBALLS, will definately recomend to friends and anyone visiting Cape Town. *kisses*
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

We had travelled to Cape town to run a race on Sunday morning at 9am. We really didn't have a chance to have breakfast but we made it back at the hotel around 11:00am while they were clearing up. It would have been lovely for us to have breakfast but my husband was rushed and told the ladies need to knock off, they cannot give him anymore food. It turned out the one lady giving these instructions to her team was in fact sitting in the kitchen eating. I was shocked and disappointed to say the least. Yes we only got to the hotel after breakfast but don't deny us (your guests) food just so you can have it yourself, greedy much!

I absolutely loved your night shift staff actually, pity I did not get their names but I will. The barman and the short front desk lady, they were amazing from day one. They really took care of us and not even once did they complain but always see to it that they give us the best service ever. I am a Quality Assurance Analyst by profession and customer service is of importance to me, when you deliver the best you certainly retain customers. The two individuals really made our stay amazing, Well done!

It was all good
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Shower too small and parking facilities.

Staff was friendly, breakfast was really nice... And rooms are clean and comfortable...everyone is minding their own business..

Amazing service.
    • Standard Double Room - Smoking

Amazing service.Very friendly and caring staff.Yonela is the person to meet out there and she made our stay so memorable... Thanks for everything Yonela... :)

The stay was great, great location, central to everything.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

TV remote was not working Wifi was not working Rooms were cleaned late

Location of the facility Friendliness of the reception staff Breakfast team, very efficient

The staff were friendly but the room left much to be desired. Also there was no restaurante to cafe
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

the beds were uncomfortable. We were astonished to find the linen being washed down while on the bed with a wet sanitizer making the bed linen wet !!! Disgraceful. The side bed light had been screwed out, so there was no side light. The duvet was lumpy and uncomfortable. The TV was small and too far from the bed to see clearly.

Location .
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

Location . Central . Street market for souvenirs and crafts just 2 min walk ! Best to take taxi to waterfront for dinner . Cheap and easy ! It is downtown area and do not recommend waking late evenings or night

This is a terrific place to stay in downtown Cape Town.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms are small but very adequate.

The location of the property is superb. Safety considerations have been made, such as access denied in the elevator unless the room card is inserted in the elevator, and the parking garage made driving here in your own car simple. Parking fees were very minimal. The breakfast was massive with so many choices it would be hard to name them all. The lighting in the room was very good and the linens were of good quality. Cleanliness=excellent.

A jewel in the middle of the Cape Town City buzz
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

I would have like to have a cupboard, there are only a few hangers and some shallow shelves. And kykNet to watch. It is located in a city centre of an African city, so expect beggars around the hotel. But it is in the city centre of a world class managed African City, so also expect very visible policing.

Perfect Location, Perfect View, Perfect Smiles. What a friendly bunch of people, managing a five star location hotel at a three star hotel price. This hotel should always be fully booked because it is just so amazing. From the convenient parking next door, with a friendly person assisting to move your car at every hour of the day or night, to the reception and housekeeping. All so friendly, assisting in my mother tongue, Afrikaans. Then you walk out the door and it like you are in Europe with the selection and quality of shops and restaurants.

nice
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

some areas were nit safe

the location was nice, first i book in city center as i believe it will be nice but its not safe there for tourist areas outside from city center is safe.

An all round awesome experience was had

too few tv channels

The fact that i could get my favourite scrambled eggs even though that day the eggs were boiled on the menu the staff were always friendly and very effecient my privacy was well respected

Enjoyed our stay! Great staff and location! :)
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff was really friendly, accommodating and helpful. The view from the room was wonderful with Table Mountain and Lion's Head. Location is great, close to main sights in the old town and with good restaurants nearby. Breakfast was very good too. Enjoyed our stay! :)

Super amazing stay. I got everything and more, I was looking for in a hotel

Nothing, really. Liked everything

The staff was super amazing. Thumbs to Yonela, she is the best. She made me feel like she knew me for a long time. I will come back just so I can meet her again.

Wouldnt stay there again, actually moved to another hotel after the Jazz Concert was done
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no fridge in the room, there was a hideous stain on the floor which looked like blood and wasnt pleasant to look at daily.

Location was good central to everywhere and breakfast was also good

Awesome!!!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Poor signage from St Georges busy 1 way side. If missed would have to drive around again.

Air cons centralised system and controlled within room, but yet poor quality of delivery due to centralised regulation. I liked the energy saving card-control and safe card controlled lift. It felt like I was owning my little penthouse unit!!!

GOOD STAY AND VALUE FOR MONEY IN CENTRE OF BEAUTIFUL CITY.
    • Standard Double Room - Smoking

NOISE AT NIGHT, MAYBE FROM NIGHTCLUBS? PARKING AREA VERY NARROW. VIEW FROM OUR 4TH FLOOR WINDOW NOT VERY GOOD.

FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL FRONTDESK, WHO PROVIDED GOOD INFO AND EVEN PROMOTED FUTURE STAYS AT HOLIDAY INN HOTELS. EXCELLENT BREAKFAST WITH A LOT OF VARIETY. VERY GOOD LOCATION IN CENTRAL CAPE TOWN.

It was fantastic

Not having wardrobesfor clothes

Thanks staff is friendly and rooms are clean,if any forget breakfast it was wow...If only you can make carbords for clothes in the rooms .Otherwise I was certified with everything

We gad a very good time, nice hotel, very professional and friendly staff, excellent service
    • Standard Double Room - Smoking

The prostitutes (sorry), being around the green market all day long, annoying

In the center of the city, close to a lot of attractions by walking he security guards on the street, we felt safe all the time, i was dven guided in the dvening to a shop and back to the hotel

Overall good and comfortable.
    • Twin Room - Smoking

The receptionist at the time of check in nor the next day morning didn't tell me the Email message in my name from the tour organizers in spite of my specifically asking about it. The answer was just "no" without checking. When the tour man came and asked the one in reception checked and said the message came previous evening 4 PM, before my arrival even. The bed is a little too firm and caused some backache.

Overall great

Holiday inn express was on an ideal location.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was queen sized so that’s the only part I didn’t like as Our toddler my wife and I had to adjust between us in a small bed.

Holiday inn express was on an ideal location. City Center with walking distance to some of the major attractions of Cape Town e.g the green market square, St George cathedral, slaves lounge museum, city sightseeing tours centre etc. Restaurants were open till late near by so I enjoyed late night dine outs with family too. Also security is very good all around in this area so walking around wasn’t an issue. Breakfast was fine. Staff overall was good.

Excellent location, staff friendly & very efficient; room 100% clean & comfortable; great stay.
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

Nice to have a fridge in the room however for the price we paid, it was fine to make use of the hotel's fridges which they offered us downstairs.

We stayed over for the night so as to be near the Argus Cycle Race start. It was a perfect location and we had everything that we needed for our short stay. Next time, we would like to be able to pay extra so as to have a check-out later than 2 pm. It is impossible to finish the race, relax at the end, get back to the hotel, shower and be out by 2 pm. But thanks for a great overnight stay. We would certainly recommend your hotel to any future Argus riders.

Less than expected
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Some of the staff were rude and dismissive. Check in was highly disorganised and we were left waiting until we went to enquire further. The bathroom was extremely small. There were no real cupboards so clothing and luggage were exposed at all times

Nice hotel, clean with friendly, helpful staff.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was quite small - o.k. For an overnight stay but would have been difficult if we had stayed longer. Need a little more storage space and flat surfaces (especially in the bathroom).

Location was great, within walking distance of cafe's and restaurants.

I should have booked out on the first day unfortunately it was pre paid.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I liked nothing about this hotel, the hotel is situated in a very bad area particular at night hundreds of street traders every where around the hotel streets are filthy with rubbish beer cans and bottles , drunks and most of all people begging children, men, and women.Spoke to one shop owner robbed and mugged so often closing down, keep away from there are better hotels a short distance away.

The staff were friendly and professional.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was a lot smaller than what we expected. The carpet had a stain across it and the tv screen had a strange massive patch on it.

The staff were friendly and professional. Particularly the driving and car staff.

An excellent addition to our already wonderful anniversary.
    • Standard Double Room - Smoking

External markings as to where the parking is would have been very helpful.

The breakfast served was an absolute winner, overall comfortable stay with very friendly amd helpfull staff.

The hotel is in the city center and makes it easier to move...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The toilet extractor wasn't working hence it got really stuffy.

The hotel is in the city center and makes it easier to move around. Its in a safe street. The staff was super helpful with directions and all. The breakfast was divine and the croissants my goshh no words..amazing...

Thanks to Not
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is very difficult to find if arriving by car

The receptionist Nomfu was invaluable in guiding me to the hotel when I as prevented from following my satnav’s instructions as there was filming going on which prevented me entering the streets that would have led me to the hotel She was very patient when I began to get a bit wound up by the difficutnroad conditions

Stay was comfortable but attention to detail can be improved.
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

Despite warnings that due to drought the towels will be changed only every three days our towels were changed EVERY day. Sometimes the face towels were not returned, sometimes the large towels were not returned and sometimes we got too many medium sized towels. The in-room coffee/tea stocks were not replenished until after I complained. The aircon control is aged and you cannot get the room to a comfortable temp...either aircon on all the time (room too cold) or aircon off (hot, humid room). In their defense I have experienced this all over, not just at this hotel. The breakfast facilities are so cramped you are guaranteed to be bumped while getting food from the buffet or have to wait for many people to pass just to get to an item. Also the selection for diabetics are extremely limited.

The room was good and the view not bad either. I liked the bathroom layout, small yet practical.

Holiday Inn Express way to a fun stay
    • Standard Double Room - Smoking

The beggars are everywhere in Cape Town but this didn’t affect my trip. Please use water sparingly if you’re visiting Cape Town.

The staff very helpful, especially Sophiline. The location is great. Breakfast was great. All in all great.

Nice and comfortable.

Struggled to find the hotel parking and entrance. The agent at checkin did not seem to exhibit knowledge of how to find reservations made through booking.com as he initially couldn't find it.

Cleanliness is good, location is ideal.

Fantastic location, there was a great food market on...

No gym or pool

Fantastic location, there was a great food market on Thursday very cool and vibey right outside. Very friendly staff. Rooms are excellent.

GREAT PLACE TO STAY
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was not thoroughly clean on arrival but on 2nd day i left curtains open for a cleaner to see the dirt on window seal and it was was excellently cleaned.

The parking guys were so excellent

it was amazing! but when i had to check out i was not impressed.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

When i had to check put i was told that there is outstanding balance that i need to pay, but i was never told this whemc checking in. i had to pay the tourism levy amount tht ai already incuded in payment tht i made to the hotel. I gave them the Proof of payment, i was reffered to the other lady that also reffrered me to the other sweet lady that managed to assist.

The room was fresh smelling fresh and neat.

the food was so delicious and the cleanliness was...
    • Standard Double Room - Smoking

I have fully paid hotel before I can even check in, to my surprise on my check out I was told that I still have the outstanding.it caught me by surprise but im glad the matter got resolved .

the food was so delicious and the cleanliness was outstanding. The staff was so friendly. Especially the old coloured man downstairs who helped to park our car. Thank you so much Holiday inn

Overall my stay was fine and I enjoyed Cape Town
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bacon looked more cooked than fried as it was not brown and a bit crispy. No place to put suitcases and not enough space to hang clothes.

The breakfast was fine every day and the rooms and bedding cleaned and changed during our stay at the hotel.

The pictures posted are an exageration but the staff service is extremely amazing.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location and the appearance of the place, compared to the pictures posted on the internet

The place was not as it was advertised on the internet, but the service received from the staff was extremely amazing, we received 5* treatment from all the staff members which substituted the fact that we were slightly disappointed from the way the pictures looked and the way it was physically. Overall, our stay was amazing.

It was pleasant
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

My son got stuck inside the lift as he hadn't carried his door card. A staff member shouted at him and couldn't assist him with getting to me. This was quite disappointing.

The breakfast was nice

Great Location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was not very big, but it had everything I needed.

The staff at the reception was very helpful, I asked for a quiet room and it was perfect! Location was a 10.

Central location of hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Beds are small, rooms on bottom floors are noisy and can use bit of soundproofing. Breakfast area for hotel this size is very small and it is shoulder to shoulder experience during breakfast time.

Central location of hotel

We had a wonderful stay, it was fit for purpose with a peaceful environment.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel room itself was rather small and the carpets stained. I found the bed to be comfortable but felt a tad bit unstable. Lack of a bar fridge also meant we had to go to the bar for cold refreshments. The location is a but uncomfortable with a number of homeless people roaming the vicinity. While I loved the parking service, it would be great if guests were allowed access to the parking lot for peace of mind. It’s good value for money though.

The staff were exceptional, the bar and breakfast were both fantastic. The parking staff were friendly and absolutely brilliant and reassuring.

Comfortable
    • Twin Room - Smoking

The Carpets in the room were very stained which made them look very dirty

I liked that even though it's located in the city centre, it was not noisy at all.

It was enjoyable and exactly what we needed, some quality time alone away from our kids
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The parking area was littered with dirt. The kettle in our room was leaking boiling water when we used it. We would have liked to have an in house restaurant. A swimming pool and gym facility would have been great...

It was central and in the heart of Cape Town. The room and bed was great. Facilities was clean and neat. The staff was friendly and professional. The buffet breakfast was excellent. There was a huge variety to accommodate everyone's tastes.

Was great.
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was amazing, the localization is great, in the middle of everything, they have a market on the street just in front of the hotel, and no cars are allowed to go on this street, the people that work there are really helpful.

+very friendly & helpful staff (especially, Sophilene...

n.a.

+very friendly & helpful staff (especially, Sophilene Fisher at the reception desk), helping to organize my leisure time etc. +great location; +safe place to stay in, i.e. there are enough policemen in the streets, thus I`ve felt quite comfortable to walk around on my own.

Central localization and reasonable price
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We had some trouble before traveling to obtain details about our reservation. There was a misunderstanding regarding reservation period and possible cancellation. When we got there, everything was OK.

The hotel is far away from the beach and waterfront, but in the first day, we walked to Waterfront without difficulty. regarding touristic trip, we were close (walking distance) to District Six Museum, South African Jewish Museum, Parliament, St George's Church, within Green Market and other facilities. The breakfast is complete and well served.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The beds need some extra comfort. Mattresses need replacement. Rooms were usually clean to the eye, but needs detailed cleaning daily. Especially, under the beds, toilets seats and the bathrooms.

Firstly the staff was great overall. Extremely welcoming and helpful in every aspect. Breakfast was good too.

It's a three-star accommodation - nothing more, nothing less
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

• Room and bed (queen size) quite small (for European standard). • No closet, just some hangers. Had to live out of our suitcases. • 250 EUR were stolen out of our room safe. We forgot to lock it so it's partly our fault. Only noticed the loss a days before departure and couldn't remember the exact date it happened. Left a bad aftertaste to an otherwise pleasant stay in Cape Town.

Location close to shops, transport and restaurants, morning buffet good

Good place (could be better)
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was difficult (roads were closed) and there was a street party so was not the best nights sleep (would have been nice to know in advance). The breakfast could have been better.

Basic but good.

It's a nice hotel for that kind of price!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location is not very nice, it's right in the center and I was not feeling safe walking in that area! If u don't have a car it's quite difficult to get anywhere. It's nit a really nice area and not much to see there. The breakfast was quite poor, a lot of bakery, very small selection of fruit and no porridge!

The rooms were nice and clean, bed is super comfortable, personal at the reception was doing a great job! Very helpful and attentive, ready to help with everything.

Great location, good breakfast and clean facilities. What is not to like
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

We didn’t like the view as most rooms seem to back on to a courtyard

The location is brilliant for the sightseeing tour bus, for food and for general sightseeing.

I will definately be back again
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The night i arrived i had no hot water and called reception twice but still it was not sorted, however the next morning the staff was extremely helpful and got my water sorted, brought me tea and coffee etc. I also received an apology letter from the manager.

The view was awesome and everything was central which was perfect for eating, shopping and walking around. The place was neat and clean. Breakfast was awesome, loved the pastries.

It was great with lot of places around it for shopping and commuting to other tourist attractions
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The porter on arrival date 19.12.2017 around 17h45 ignored us and we had to push our luggage individual.

Reception staff very good and always there to help

Awesome stay!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A little more variety in the breakfast, but overall the hotel is excellent value for money!

Check in was very fast and efficient. The rooms were very comfortable, squeaky clean with modern fittings. The modern furnishing was a welcome sight. Breakfast was delicious, and service was excellent. I loved the location, it was very central and had a lively atmosphere. I definitely recommend this hotel to business men, families and especially young people. All tourist attractions, public transport and shopping is within walking distance. Thanks for a memorable stay! Front desk staff was awesome, very friendly and accommodating!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

The location is perfect.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is good but would be better perhaps if a choice of halaal food could be made available.

The location is perfect. It's very near to the happening Longstreet, close to the Company's Garden and a 10 minute walk to the vibrant Bo Kaap!

Very good hospitatlity which can be repeated.
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

Difficult to get to the hotel.

Rooms were very neat and bed comfortable to relax. The breakfast very mush with good coffee aroma, WOW. The security treat you good and fetch the car from parking. Keep it up

We stayed at room 1002, it was the 10th floor.
    • Standard Double Room - Smoking

Cleanliness and upgrade of the rooms

We stayed at room 1002, it was the 10th floor. The room was abit dirty and old. The carpets had a bad smell and had stains all over. The reception staff were ok but not very accomodating.the car parking staff was excellent. The rooms need an upgrade however the location is excellent

The hotel is in a good spot.
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

It was very hard to find the garage. It should be better marked where to drive. The hotel was very very loud. The windows did not close well. We would not go there again becouse of the noise.

The hotel is in a good spot. Just around the corner from sight city tour.

It is value for your money. Execellent location in Cape Town
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

First they gave us very very small room even without any window.It was difficult to breath in it . Because it was very small and it was full of room perfumme. After our request they changed to nice and enough big room .

Otel tam şehir merkezinde .konumu mükemmel

Very good location right in the middle of the city.
    • Standard Double Room - Non-Smoking

Carpet was stained and damp in the same place. Air conditioning was noisy even on its lowest setting.

Very good location right in the middle of the city. On site parking that was very good. Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast - much better than expected with a good range of food. Comfortable room.

Excellent and comfortable!
    • Standard Double Room - Smoking

Bathrooms could have been a little more spacious and still/sparkling water could have been provided.

Comfortable bed, great view from the high rise and shopping and local food nearby