Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Sandton-Woodmead 3 stars

Woodmead North Office Park, 2194 Johannesburg, South Africa

#58 of 90 hotels in Johannesburg

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

One side of the hotel aces the highway which can be noisy

The hotel is well situated for business and pleasure travelers want to be locate in the northern suburbs of Johannesburg. All major highways are easily accessible. Public transport is a little limited at this location

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

We had to take a can to a pharmacy as the hotel had no painkillers on hand. It’s a basic medical item that should really be in a hotel medical kit. The sofa-bed was very uncomfortable - it folded in the middle every time one moved.

Staff were friendly and professional. The hotel itself is modern and clean. Rooms are small but totally adequate. And hot water in the bathroom is always a win!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

the heat function of the air con did not work. very disappointing. the room just could not warm up.

security of the facility and the friendliness of staff

Can’t really pin point any negativity but please buy more iron and ironing boards

The hotel was ideal for our visit and places We wanted to visit during out stay

We had a great night at the property. The rooms were spacious,clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and I’d recommend the property to anyone who wants time out from the city and is looking to relax.

The location is great for persons doing business in the immediate area but made access to tourist areas very expensive.

The response of the staff to our requests was excellent.

See previous comment

Disappointed with location - in an industrial park. The restaurant was closed on Friday and Saturday nights, the nights we were there, so we had to go by taxi to eat. On arrival the security boom guard was very rude and unhelpful. We will never use this hotel again

The staff were very friendly and efficient, the rooms were clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay there again when I am in Johannesburg.

When our complimentary face cloths were removed from our room, but mistake was immediately corrected

Staff members are extremely friendly and professional.The female duty Manager between 27-29 April 2018 (tiny short lady) very professional and she knows what customer care means

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Bathroom very disgusting shower was filthy. The curtains were off colourway and dirty. Utensils and cutlery were dirty. Very bad experience. Will not recommend this place to anyone.

Friendly staff

I was sharing one of the rooms with my wife and it was inconvenient getting about because we had only one key card. Had the inconvenience when wanting to leave the room because my wife needed the light and to watch tv yet I also needed the key card for the lift. Also, I came back late in the night but unfortunately I didn't have cash with me such that I couldn't buy anything from the vending machine. I was told the nearest ATM is in Woodmead Shopping Mall but I wasn't in the mood to drive out

I guess it was fair.

The food for breakfast was average and not much variety

The staff was very friendly and explained everything very well. The room was comfortable and clean.

The entrance to the hotel is very much from inside commercial office buildings, it would be good to have access to hotel from the main road side.

The staff at reception was friendly and cooperative but took some time to confirm the revised booking.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The sheets were very dirty ,they also put dirty mattress cover with huge urine spot ,the morning team was very rude ,the breakfast was ok ,the shower wasnt that clean the corners have lots of dirt n its disgusting

The guy named Vladimir was very nice and helpful

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

rooms were too small and location was aloof, - if looking for only price and staying for one day , stay is OK, but not for more no. of days and not advisable to stay with family

Breakfast was good - staff was good

No bathrobe & no sleepers

This plave is amazing inevery way, except they dont offer bathrobes & sleepers. This is Holiday Inn after all and when we go there we expect that class I must mention the staff are amazing, all of them. Epecially one young gentleman by the name T.K, he made me feel like I was on holiday and had my back on everything.

• Double Room - Smoking

Very comfortable hotel facilities and with excellent breakfast. A big plus point is the staff at the Reception, always with a smile and very helpful and receptive. Qualities not often found in many of the hotels these days. They must be complimented, and I DID SO,,,,,,,,,,

Towels were torn and some had black stains. On Some days towels were not available. Balcony was never cleaned since we arrived. There were used cigarette buts and pieces of glass on the balcony floor from day one till we left.

The area is very nice and secure

The breakfast was not much variety The bed was nice but it felt like stuff was biting me and my wife i evens had to buy sleep easy bug repellent

The friendly cleaner that cleaned our room always had a smile on her face

There was no room service not even for ice, and i ws forced to have my breakfast downstairs and couldn't have it in my room...so i ended up not having breakfast as i wasn't about to take my work down with me. The staff wasn't friendly at all.

The room was clean and bedding was comfortable.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The water was cold I to call service desk for it to be fixed but all was good. Was looking forward to eat at the restaurant only to be told was not working that day yooo and the extreme delivery took their time to come I had to keep calling.

Cleanliness and the quietness

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

When we arrived there was no water at the hotel. We couldnt take a shower. They should of notified us before we checked in as tjey never had water for 2 days already. Did not consider giving a discounted rate due to no water.cold atmosphere.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Well we didn't sleep AT ALL, had a burst pipe in a room next to us 11:30pm, we were up since then, had to move rooms 12:30 only to get into bed by 1:30am Sunday morning and having to get up for Telkom 947 cycling race at 3:30am/ not once did anybody apologize or even try to help us move our luggage or anything. Got to breakfast after the race at 10am and was told we have to get a move on because they want to close the breakfast!!! Not very nice after not sleeping, racing a race and then returning to force breakfast down.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The card would not work to switch the lights on Maintenance came after I have tried a few times, then if worked After conference, about 11.45pm the card would not work again, so worked around in the dark Reported it to reception on Thursday Breakfast was cold

Clean room Bed comfortable

• Double Room - Smoking

The breakfast..we stay there so often it's always the same menus and the bacon is really bad, really poor quality. It's horrible.

I like the front of desk staff.

I was on the motorway side of the hotel = noise from 5am till 2am / almost through the night. Despite asking for a quiet room and this was my 3rd/4th stay at this hotel.

reasonable cost of room

muffins at breakfast were old. cappuccino machine did not work. had to go and find a staff member to replenish. restaurant on site closed on Saturdays.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The service was poor altogether. Staff were rude. Basic expectations were not met. Breakfast was less than satisfactory, fake bacon and everything else was cold and chewy. Reception was often covered by 1 staff for the whole hotel so the service was poor! I’ll never stay there again!

The breakfast is very disappointng. No selcetion. The crockery smelt terrible and immediately makes you feel sick. The food was of very poor standard, if you want a good breakafst, its not worth it at this venue. Canned food hot fopd served, no selcetion of eggs only scrambled no taste, very bland.

Stayed for 2 days. the rooms is great

There is no swimming pool, the chicken sausages they served on the Saturday and Mince on Sunday. Our sheets had stains

Staff very friendly and helpful, breakfast fresh fruits and service was excellent and their coffee!

• Double Room - Smoking

Our stay with you was excellent,the staff are well trained and very friendly. Breakfast was better then I could have expected Well done to all your staff

I liked everything

I Liked the quietness of the area and the security there of . The breakfast was very nice and the staff very friendly The rates were reasonable .

• Double Room - Smoking

Bar not well stocked. Staff not so friendly and welcoming. Not much variety in the breakfast. Access cards to rooms and lift not working properly, constantly had issues.

Croissants and Danish pastry were very good. Bed was very comfortable.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The phone rang long before i could be helped to confirm booking. Booking.com gave me an unrecognised ref.number by the hotel. The hotel could not find my booking on their system. TThe lighting in the room was bad n there were inconsistencies with what was communicated to us re:flexible check out times.

Proximity to where i was attending a function

The bar had limited options, and the weren't any perks that I recognise. The fastfood restaurants aren't really accessible by foot

The room, location view and breakfast

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Maintenance is bad. Curtains hanging lose and not even on rail. Telephone not working to contact reception and tv channels not in sequence. Situated very secluded and option of only one restaurant near hotel.

Staff is friendly.

Getting to the place was a nightmare, we could see the hotel from the motorway but couldn't find the way in. The breakfast was terrrrrible, I mean what kind of Chef fails to cook baked beans??? The mince my word, trust me u don't want to know. It's express breakfast yes but I don't think it's meant to be cooked by people with "express" knowledge of cooking. Hated it! They have showers but they have no shower caps in the shower. We only went there because we once stayed in the one in Durban and it was perfect, elegant, clean, presentable....They really need to step up their game, we don't expect that in Sandton.

Croissants were very nice.

The so called 'free wifi' is only 100mb free and you have to sign up to a loyalty program to get full free wifi - this was really frustrating and not at all what was advertised. I requested the 2 rooms I booked be close together when booking but when we got there they were not at all. Breakfast is very limited - did not really have much for vegetarians or people who do not eat beef/pork for religious reasons and when some other guests asked for something else to be prepared I saw 2 staff members, i think managers, arguing about it, they looked very annoyed. The road out side the office park seriously needs some street lights

The location is good, easy access onto highway and to Sandton, Midrand, and surrounds Hotel was clean and comfortable Good security at the entrance to the office park, did not just let anyone in Good value for money I would stay again

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Hotel do not cater for breakfast packs. Late for event as a result. The sleeper couch not prepared before hand for three times . Had to request this. Was done in presence of family. So uncomfortable

The environment was quiet and good for the family. The lady who prepared bed was so professional. She deserves an award.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The facility was exceptionally poorly maintained. The hassle of having to go through security for entry and exit, showing ID.

The staff were really fantastic.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Restaurant and room service was closed all the time during the stay. Not near anything interesting to walk to. Checkout was stressful.

Great breakfast, decent quality room. Very good value for money. Clean.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The air conditioner was not working well, it was emitting cold air. There was no place to put the bags on.

Spotlessly clean and user-friendly. The staff were friendly and helpful, and managed to sort out the mix up of our rooms. The food was excellent. We were given additional blankets as it was cold.

• Double Room - Smoking

No facilities such as porter service, money exchange. Staff not much helpful. Food at one restaurant limited in choice. Breakfast awful. I will never go to that hotel again.

Cleanliness of the hotel and safety.

We were eating same thing for breakfast for the duration of our stay there and the food is not nice....the room had one blanket ...we were expwcting atleast an electric blanket if theres no blankets

Underground parking

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The fact that the premises are within an office park may become a draw back when you have to deal with security guards that request identification from guests.Rather unsettling a times.

The room was very dark, lighting could be improved upon. Two sharing a room - not enough hangers. No info on the tv channels available.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The fact that the restaurant is closed over the weekend was the only source of discomfort.

The ease with which our booking was made was hassle free, the fact that the booking allowed us to pay at the property was an extra bonus. Had tried other hotels where booking had to be made through some booking agent was a nightmare and eventually had to be abandoned. The venue was cosy and very comfortable.

• Double Room - Smoking

Cannot think of any adverse problems

The breakfasts were excellent, room was comfortable. restaurant adjoining the hotel served excellent, and affordable meals

The staff were very pleasant and accommodating. The rooms were Comfortable. The Breakfast was yummy(So delicious and filling). overall 90% because there is always room for improvement. lol

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Theres no fridge in the rooms. They put only 1 teacup in the double room and the twin room

The rooms were very clean. Check in and check out was very smooth. Very friendly staff especilly night duty employee Onke. Who assisted us with calling uber for us.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

No negative comments. We had an awesome stay.

Felt very relaxed. Staff were friendly and very willing to help. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and rooms were very neat and "user friendly". Was very close to everything so we enjoyed going to different places such as mall of Africa that felt just around the corner as we did not know the area and liked that we could go around the area without travelling too far. We booked for the Kyalami Festival and was much closer to Kyalami than expected. We were very pleasantly surprised.

The bed could be bigger. My suggestion is they offer queen beds as well for those that can pay extra

The staff members are very professional and welcoming.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast, especially beef sausage. They need to improve on the breakfast. The cleaning ladies woke us up at 730am just to ask what time we're going to check out, that has to change, it could have been better if they did so maybe 30minutes before check out time.

Reception was fantastic and very helpful. They gave smiles all the time. I'll definitely book there again. And Gosh, though the waitress wasn't on her toes at the Italian restaurant downstairs, the fact that the owner was there to pitch in now and then, it really made a difference. The food was amazing there.

Location. Transport. No restaurant. Very little breakfast option on the menu

A restaurant in the hotel. That express delivery service is so poor, food is ice cold by the time it gets to you. There's no bar fridge in the room.

Room faced highway, and was rather noisy due to traffic on the highway. Need to double glaze the windows facing the highway. The hotel has no functioning restaurant during weekends (Friday to sunday) while available restaurants are not near the facility.

Rooms were clean, and private

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The trap door situated in the room fell open and twice it hit my head. Did inform the assistant manager and they did secure it. Did not even receive a call find out how my head was.

Uum the pilows on the beds was not of good quality but other than that value for money stay.

All round i like the hotel, was my 2nd time there and would def. stay there next year again. Food was good, breakfast options was limited but otherwise it was good. Rooms was clean. There was complains regarding the staff , but i must say i can't complain they were really friendly to us

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

It took more thank 30 minutes to locate the entrance, when we could see the hotel, it is extremely difficult to find. On checking I had indicated to the staff that I would pay the charges for the extra room I had booked but when my family member came after the first night they harassed him for payment which was not very good until he paid. When I heard of this I was not at the hotel but on arrival they swept the issue under the rug like it had not happened. You cannot make calls directly from your room you have to call the reception which can be very inconvenient.

The breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

got a smoking room where i requested non smoking and the desklamp did not work and the standing lamp did not work. we also was asked 7:30 to clean our room and at 3:30 the afternoon the room was still not touched, then i told them i dont want to bebother because going to sleep for the afternoon, that after i was knocked awake the morning

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The night receptionist we got could've been a little more clued up with the directions as this place is not the easiest to find and you still need to go through security as it operates within an office park. The aircon only worked when we took the card out of the lights slot, so if you wanted it on, you had to deal with no lights.

Breakfast was fresh and tasty. Definitely worth it. Location wise it's close to everywhere. I asked for an iron and it was promptly delivered. The hotel is very clean and safe.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The breakfast staff was rude. My bedding was removed from my room and it wasn't even checking out time. We asked for late check out, was told it cost R500. Ridiculous

The rooms were ok, the check in was quick. I forgot some item behind but luckily they found it

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

When I booked I requested a double bed on my booking and when I arrived we were given a room with two single beds that could not be joined and the receptionist was not helpful

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

its situated in a office park which was really tough to find coffee / tea brands supplied were not good dstv channels very limited

it was really good value for its money comfortable safe environment Service was good cleanliness was good parking was safe good area Online food delivery was good

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Our request to extend our stay was meet with a lot of unnecessary questions and some staff were rude to some my friends

Everything was great until the incident explained next.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

rooms are not spacious at all..shower not spacious as well, aircon was not working maybe due to powercut, no wardrobe, maintenance guys were busy painting during our stay, our partner at 119 had to come up to our room to shower there because of the paint smell. Beds were not neatly made

Breakfast was not bad We had dinner, it was nice

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

We booked twin beds but the other one had a broken base it wasn't comfortable at all.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, I liked the fact that the hotel is closer to Africa Mall and Sandton City.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

I wish the resturant was not closed. there washould no lotion in the toiletry set

the quietness of theach place. it was very clean. breakfast was great and the staff was friendly

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The breakfast...the glasses had a smell of eggs, that just ticked me off. That should be a no-no, cannot mix glasses with plates!!!

I'm a fan of holiday inn express. Wherever I go, I prefer it! So far I have been to the Durban Umhlanga one and Woodmead😊😊

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

The staff were very unfriendly. No one showed me to my room or helped me with my two pieces of luggage to the room. No one explained to me that there was a limit to the WiFi! The whole experience was very bad!

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

The food was mediocre. I was first in line for breakfast -The eggs were always cold. The breakfast food was not properly heated,the bag lunch was atrocious. The location was further from the city than I originally thought.

It was okay. We had guests on different floors and access to different floors was problematic. The staff was attentive...but reserved.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

More coffee and all that to have some in the evening and the next morning. We only stayed one night so it would have been nice to have that option..

They left me a little gift in the room for my first night with my new wife. That was the best. The aircon was effective in keeping our room comfy. It was also very quiet.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

the fact that i made a pre request for Soy milk but when i arrived for breakfast there was non... a definite No No for me

location was great in a secure area, room was clean and comfy and the breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Lousy internet. Traffic noise in the room Not well kept elevator (door disfunctioning - no sign of yearly maintenance)

Close to where I needed to be.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast starts too late on a weekday especially when one has to be at meetings by 7am and has to travel to the venue still.

Undercover parking facilities availability

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The location of the restaurant for dinner when it was raining it was not easy to access

The service from all the staff was excellent and the rooms were clean and the breakfast was good and the chauffer Thando was excellent definitely coming back Thank you all the staff