Reviews of La Fontaine Guest House 4 stars

21 Dirkie Uys Street, 7690 Franschhoek, South Africa

#25 of 49 B&Bs and Inns in Franschhoek

Quiet, friendly guesthouse with excellent breakfast
    • Family Suite

It's a bit on the expensive side compared with similar places we stayed at in South Africa.

My dad and I stayed here for one night. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating; they let us leave our hire car on site while we took the Wine Tram and gave us helpful advice about shops and restaurants in the area. The hotel is perfectly located off the main road but only a five minute walk away from the tram and amenities. The breakfast was brilliant and probably my highlight! I would gladly stay here again.

Very attentive team and comfortable place.
    • Family Suite

The very comfortable place is located in the center of Franchhoek that allows you go walking to many interesting places. The team is very polite and attentive. I'd like to come back soon.

Really nice place to stay in Franschhoek.
    • Comfort Triple Room

The property overall is starting to look a little tired but it wouldn’t stop me returning.

Lovely comfy bed with good linen. Friendly staff. Fabulous location.

5.5
    We were in and out over the weekend so busy elsewhere but were generally disappointed in the room
    • Superior Suite

We didn't like the room with no windows or outlook - just a skylight. The doors looked out onto a path so couldn't be in there without drawing the curtains. Very close to kitchen or office so noisy from staff talking in the afternoon when one wanted to have a sleep before going out. Also, it was noisy from kitchen staff when eating breakfast outside on Sunday morning. I think we should have been warned of the lack of windows or outlook. It seemed pricey for what we had.

Comfortable bed and good bathroom. Good breakfast poor coffee.

Disappointed with our experience here.
    • Comfort Triple Room

Disappointed with our experience here. On arrival we were advised that there was 50% of our bill outstanding even though we had paid our bill in full several months before our arrival. The onus was placed totally on us to prove our position and consequently we spent two hours of the afternoon of our arrival laboriously going back through the historic emails (wifi was very slow too) and, fortunately for us, we were able to prove our position. The front of house manager did not take personal responsibility and passed us on to the accounts/reservations department - we did not received an apology for this error. The guest house and cottages have a very atmospheric feel but overall the place needs some investment/refurbishment. Breakfast was only average but in pleasant surroundings, however, there was a stench of sewage from the large drain/manhole between the open air breakfast area and swimming pool.

Fantastic location and great size of room just needs some to in the main house

Property is starting to look tired throughout and cleaning in communal areas could be better. WiFi stopped working ast 8.30pm!

Quirky guest house full of character and in an excellent location

Perfect place to stay to relax and enjoy the local area
    • Superior King Suite

The room and bed was large and extremely comfortable. It was lovely to relax by the pool. The location was perfect being a few minutes walk from excellent restaurants. Delicious breakfast freshly cooked to order

Great stay in period guest house

Parking could have been more spacious

Very comfortable room in the main house. Shared balcony and port and glasses in the lounge. Excellent location just off the Main Street.

A wonderful relaxing stay and hope to stay again.
    • Family Suite

The manager Christopher was very helpful, made us feel right at home. It's perfectly situated to walk into and enjoy the area, monuments, shops, restuarants, tram, Saturday market and scenery. Relaxing, quiet and a comfy bed. Thank you.

Lovely location, friendly and helpful staff but all about to change.

One of our friends left a couple of items and contacted La Fontaine to ask that they be posted to him (in South Africa) but they wanted £40! It was cheaper to drive back to Franschhoek from Cape town.

I have stayed before and it has remained as good as it always has been. However, I believe new owners are going to make significant changes to the premises this year.

Lovely little guesthouse - would recommend
    • Deluxe Double Room

Very convenient guesthouse in the centre of the pretty town of Franschhoek. We stayed in one of the rooms in the garden. The room was lovely with a very comfortable bed. The weather was not great during our stay but an open fire in our room which was laid and ready to light when we got in was a lovely touch.

Great stay in the heart of Franschhoek

Our stay at La Fontaine was superb. The room was spotlessly clean and the bed super comfortable. The inclusive breakfast was great and the staff all very friendly.

A gem.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Floors are a bit creaky but this is to be expected in a heritage property.

Nice location a very short stroll from the main drag. Very helpful staff especially Christopher who found us a table at short notice on Sunday night. Good breakfast spread. I particularly liked the lounge where you could peruse their stunning coffee table books. Modern bathrooms.

A good place to stay in Franschhoek

The rooms we and our kids got were in separated buildings, although they weren't so far one from the other. The rooms seems to me not so modern - e.g. the tube is quiet "old fashioned" one. We got 3 keys for the different entrances and for the safe + a remote control for the parking gate, so it was quite confusing for us.... The payment process wasn't so easy for me - as I was requested to pay in advance (not via Booking), and I wanted to pay with my credit card and it wasn't easy to get them via the phone.

The location is 10, quiet and just in the center, restaurants and shops. The breakfast is very good, and was served outside in the garden, below the vines. The smell in the garden is good. The mattress in our room was excellent, and the bathroom was big, with a tube. There is a big refrigerator in a common kitchen, nearby the rooms.

Most enjoyable
    • Comfort Triple Room

Stables - Good room configuration for a couple with 1 child. Very comfortable beds. Excellent breakfast. Staff very willing to problem-solve after hours!

Will definitely return

Breakfast was scrumptious with a wide variety of foods to choose from, beds were luxuriously comfortable, staff were so friendly and helpful, a classy establishment all round!

The manager was realyy helpful and such a sweetie

No parking available in property and very thin pillows But pillows was addressed and promised to replace.

The manager was realyy helpful and such a sweetie

Perfect!

Such a beautiful experience staying in the old house, and everything was perfect! Everyone went extra miles to make us feel welcomed! A great place to stay!

Great location!

Although a really beautiful old house there are a couple of maintenance issues that could be addressed, namely loose floorboards. It sounds silly but by the second day I was chosing carefully where to walk as the noise from the floorboards would have woken the whole house! Maybe not as easy a fix as I imagine but would be a good investment! Also the welcome I received wasn't the warmest - I arrived at 4.30pm via driver who really kindly came into the hallway with my bag - we were quickly informed that all the staff had gone and the driver asked to bring the bag upstairs - I understand that staff can't be available all the time but I was a little it embarrassed and really could have brought the bag up myself rather than asking the driver to do so! There isn't a huge selection of places to stay in the town itself but I do feel that this was expensive for a guesthouse but location wise is ideal for those without a car. Perhaps better selection/value for money may be available outside of the town.

Beautiful house on exterior - interior is a charming mix of antiques and interesting fabrics and decor fitting to the house. The room was very spacious with someoarate dressing area and large bathroom. You cannot beat the location as just one (very short) block away from Huguenot Street (Franshoek's Main Street). Loved that the staff had thought to put two duvets on the bed (as it is winter) and the house was spotless! Breakfast had a good selection of buffet style items (cereals, tea, coffee, breads including beautiful freshly baked bread, cold meats, fruit) as well as a freshly made breakfast from a menu (Full English breakfast/French toast/omelette) - really tasty and had that lovely 'homemade' taste that you get by staying in a guesthouse! Franschoek itself is pretty and is great if you like to mooch around shops, lovely selection of cafes and restaurants but to be honest it needs a bit of a refresh in general! I felt that there's a bit of a 'lazy tourism' feel in Franschoek whereby there are tonnes of guaranteed tourists coming to the town - some shops resembled jumble sales with what I can only describe as 'tat' for sale ( fine if you're into it!) also did the Wine Tram here which is a lovely experience - took the Green Line stoping at Rickity Bridge (ok), Grand Provence (fabulous and great art exhibition too) Mont Rochelle (stunning and great wines and charcuterie/cheese selection - stay for two hours here) La Bri (skip it) and La Bourgogne (wine not great but olive vv good!)

Shortchanged - nice but...
    • Family Suite

To start with the entire booking process became a pain when they couldn't see my credit card details on booking.com. I re-entered the details and they took 50% deposit. For the balance 50% they had the same problem and kept sending me messages to pay or else they would cancel even after taking 50% and it being no fault of mine. Never experienced something like this! Finally I had to make an international number and give them my card details - something I never do... After everything was settled and they were nice to offer early checkin on mail, to my surprise they gave a smaller room than the family suite we had booked. I realised this only on my way out to take the wine tram and the lady (didn't get her name) was like - Oh we couldn't do that as another family wanted to stay extra night...!! I book and pay for a suite and they give me a room saying the other is anyway too big and meant for more people!! Finally pushing all blame on their central office who was so much in touch with me when it came to money! I was almost losing my patience when the other lady offered a room upstairs but we didn't want a top floor. She then offered to move our things after the family left but we had already scattered our things and were getting late for the tram. Also we didn't want anybody to touch our things and move to another room as we have had a bad experience before. It would have been better had they been honest at checkin and we would have left our luggage in the car instead and checked in to our original room on return.

Such a shame, it could have been a better experience ad it is a nice property, served good breakfast and the other lady had a nice chat with me when I was leaving and she came to see me off.

Lovely clean accommodation with friendly people, gr8 breakfast in centre of town
    • Deluxe Double Room

Slippery floor in room 3 & little loose carpets.

Bed extra comfy. Complimentary sherry for cold rainy day in Franschoek & marshmallows were gr8. Bastille Festuval was fabulous!

Has potential but needs a few tweaks

Wifi was not working and Breakfast was Mediocre

Close to the main street which is walking distance away . The host is friendly and assisted when required

B&B manager was great.

The walls do not block sound at all, so you can literally here everyone moving around. I was told there was secure parking, however the parkings were so small I could not park my car there (I have a normal saloon car), and had to park on the street.

B&B manager was great. Spacious, bed comfortable and location good.

SA holiday
    • Deluxe Double Room

Last minute booking due to change of plan. Great find so close to town centre but equally tucked away and quiet. Really comfortable room and garden, would like to have stayed longer.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Lovely B&B - just get a standard room.

We ordered a deluxe room, and the photos for the bathrooms of these rooms online were huge and included roll top baths. So we were disappointed to find a very small bathroom in our deluxe room, with a bog standard bath and overhead shower. There was also a lot of noise in this room - as its windows were directly on the court yard where people have breakfast, so a lie in was not possible.

Very large bedroom. Good offerings of tea/coffee/biscuits/sherry! Lovely breakfast with everything you could want.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Perfect well run B&B
    • Deluxe Double Room

Spacious room. Extremely organised and well run. The owner and staff went out of their way to help, giving advise on our onward route. Excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

A pleasant Guest House in a very good location.

Lovely accommodation. We had a huge room in the main house with some beautiful views. Everything about the room was lovely. We also took the opportunity to use the pool area for some rest and relaxation, what was really nice it that there were enough sun beds and chairs for everyone and plenty of shade from the very strong sun. Breakfast is a combination of buffet and cooked and was very good. Staff very friendly and helpful too. Many restaurants close by and within walking distance but you do need to book. Parking available on the property.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

We had a lovely garden room beside the pool.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

We had a lovely garden room beside the pool..very peaceful and relaxing.well presented and decorated..could have stayed longer..lovely breakfast in the garden.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Lovely place to stop over in a beautiful town in the heart of wine country

No complaints at all.

We only stayed one night but the bed was great and breakfast was super! They kindly let us leave the car in the drive until the next people were due to check in while we explored Franschhoek. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Best ever!!
    • Deluxe Double Room

The fact we had to leave! Wish we could have stayed for a week!

What a gorgeous guesthouse with increadible staff! The room was the best we've ever stayed in, much better than the pics -opened right onto the pool and had its own living room with open fire, kitchenette, fast wifi, air con and every detail had been considered for a comfortable stay. The breakfast was beautiful and location just 1 min from the main restaurant area. We were made to feel so welcome and at home with everything we could have asked for in the room. These guys know how to run a guesthouse!!

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Plenty of space & comfort

We had a huge room & bathroom with a view to the mountains. Nice pool with sun chairs in the garden. Very centrally located in a quiet street. Port & sherry available in the small shared living room (see attached photo of view from the balcony outside the shared space). Lovely breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Couldn't fault it!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Lovely accommodation, we had the whole annex to ourselves. So nice that the fridge contents were on trust. Lovely friendly staff. Excellent breakfast. Couldn't fault it!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Absolutely beautiful setting and our room was very spacious...

It would have been helpful to know that a cooked breakfast was on offer before we filled ourself on toast! And it was a little tricky to swim with the cleaning hose in the pool. But these were very minor things on a beautiful and first rate guest house. We would definitely stay again!

Absolutely beautiful setting and our room was very spacious and wonderfully dressed. The breakfast was very well presented and there were a lot of options! The staff were all very helpful and informative.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Lovely guesthouse!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Lovely guesthouse!! Kathy made us feel at home from the moment we arrived and gave us some great tips on things to do. Breakfast was lovely in a gorgeous little courtyard. Highly recommended!!!

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

The location of the B & B is excellent.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Unfortunately there was no hot water in our room due to the failure of their heater. We were in a room on the first floor and were required to use a bathroom on the ground floor. We were given a small discount for this inconvenience but only after we asked for it.

The location of the B & B is excellent. The room was lovely with a door leading onto a comfortable shared balcony

Good location, comfortable large room and lovely breakfast
    • Deluxe Double Room

Parking is tight and would be better if some shrubs next to the driveway were trimmed right back.

Location excellent, room large and comfortable. Very good breakfast. Excellent hosts and garden factotum were a great help when my vehicle battery was flat, quick to assist and jump start.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Centrally located in Franschoek with easy access to all...
    • Deluxe Double Room

Centrally located in Franschoek with easy access to all attractions. Spacious well appointed and comfortable facilities. Friendly helpful staff and great breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Great guest house.

Great value by UK standards but less so compared with other places visited.

Homely feel to a guest house full of character set in a quiet location in a pretty town. Excellent breakfast and friendly owner/staff.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Comfortable cosy quiet guest house only minutes from the centre of Franschhoek

Safe positioned low on wall just inside door which made it a little awkward to bend down to access if you have dodgy knees or back. Had to wait a little bit longer for cooked breakfast on the 2nd morning due to a mix up with the orders.

Warm welcome from Sharon and Kathie who recognised us from our previous visit in January 2015.Large spacious airy room on 1st floor of house, very large bathroom with Victorian tub, view from 1st floor public balcony together with complimentary port and sherry. Lovely to relax here with a book on a sunny afternoon. Good selection of food at breakfast. Very quiet location but only 2 or 3 minutes walk to local restaurants.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Winter stay in the wine lands

Kathie was very helpful and suggested different restaurants and vineyards to visit, all of which were excellent. The location was perfect within very easy walking distance of the Main Street and felt very safe.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

The location was in a beautiful setting close to amenities.
    • Deluxe Double Room

I am a perfectionist and I must admit I tightened the loose toilet seat assembly. The air conditioner was set too high and I had to adjust it.

A great stay with superb hosts.I was totally surprised that my muddy car was cleaned without my mentioning it!

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Our stay was enjoyable. Lovely winter setting and cosy atmosphere. A good place to snuggle up and fo
    • Deluxe Double Room

indicate there is no kitchen cloth. I didn't like the mingling in front of the door of our room. We were right opposite the pool.

Lovely comfortable room. Host very friendly and helpful. Had a good time and rest.

The rooms were a good size and clean and comfortable.

The breakfast was below average from a quality and quantity point of view.

The rooms were a good size and clean and comfortable.

Pleasure
    • Comfort Triple Room

We arrived lately gave us a call and were willing to assist and even in checking out.

Lovely stay with great location in beautiful franschoek

Bit outdated decor but they changing that

Very friendly staff Good location

It was central , very comfortable and homely. Staff was very pleasant.

Breakfast was very good

A great stay in Franschhoek

Great location for scenery, wine and food. Excellent staff and a spacious room.

Delicious breakfast, Large rooms, Beautiful inner garden and...
    • Comfort Triple Room

Delicious breakfast, Large rooms, Beautiful inner garden and the manager Christopher was very kind and helpful.

We enjoyed our stay and would probably return

Breakfast was fairly ordinary

Nice ambiance Comfortable room with nice mountain view

Guest House in great location

Wifi was not good at all!

The guest house is in a very good location. Room, pool area and breakfast was great. Very friendly staff!

A very pleasant stay in a good position and well run
    • Comfort Triple Room

Pleasant atmosphere, convenient location.goid breakfast

An easy, pleasant spot to stay.
    • Suite with Garden View

The bedding was wonderful. Great pillows and duvet.

Ideal for what we wanted.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Great location, large comfortable room and pleasant garden with small pool.

Bed was extreemely hard.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

Bed was extreemely hard. Head office accounts is poor.

Wish it had been longer than 2 days
    • Deluxe Double Room

some creaking in the bedroom floorboards

Excellent location for town and winery visits. Very helpful hosts. Lovely pool. Fab breakfast

Lovely guest house in excellent location

Beds extremely comfortable. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast. Location excellent.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

Very goog location, very friendly staff, very comfortable

Beautiful town, central location in a beautiful guest house.

Fantastic fresh omelettes!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Comfortable
    • Superior King Suite

Lady on desk was not the most friendly

Very central and gentleman who greeted us was lovely

Fantastic. I wished the WiFi was working

Terrible WiFi, parking too tight,

Great location. Family atmosphere. Comfortable and spacious. Great breakfast. Great garden and pool area

Wonderful

Wi-Fi was quite slow

The breakfast spread was wonderful

Comfortable bed

Location of the bathroom

Comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Excellent place to stop off on our tour

Greeting from Chris. Easy to find

Quiet central location.

They did not action my request for 2 beds and whilst a family room onlt double bed made up - very poor at tgis price point.

Quiet central location.

Great find!

Close to the town, great location, highly recommend.

Top location, v good management

Top location, v good management

Superb return visit.

We were allocated the same room we had on a previous visit. The rooms are super, really comfy beds with great facilities. The staff are superb.

Wish we had stayed longer!
    • Comfort Triple Room

Comfortable and felt at home

Recommendable for summer holidays.
    • Comfort Triple Room

The ground level rooms are ideal as summer accommodation. It is cold in winter days.

Friendly staff, great location and safe.

Lovely convenient friendly venue

Comfy bed friendly staff

Stylish, cosy, great value and location.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Stylish, cosy and in a great location.

Defiantly an excellent choice.
    • Superior King Suite

Charming room complete with a fireplace that was readied everyday.

Close to everything.

Lovely home.
    • Superior Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The other staff smiled less.

Location, the bedroom size, cleanliness, friendly Sharon very accommodating.

nice centrally located