Reviews of Mercure Johannesburg Midrand 3 stars

Old Pretoria Main Road, 1685 Midrand, South Africa

#13 of 31 hotels in Midrand

When we arrived, the room we were given was still dirty with unmade bed and food trays in . When I requested a new room the staff at reception wasn't very friendly or apologetic. Our second room was okay but some of the lights weren't working and the plug by the desk was damaged and not working which was a bit inconvenient.

Value for money and had everything we needed for a one night stay.

The windows ! The rooms have poor quality, draughty windows that do not shut properly. Worse as it was winter, the room got cold and the room heater dried out the air inside.

The hotel is located right behind the Gallagher convention center where I was participating in a trade show and the primary reason I stayed there. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful.

I have stayed here once a year for the last few years. The rooms are now in desperate need of a revamp. The hotel staff did indicate that this was in progress but i will definitely think twice before I book here again, until the revamp is done.

I have always liked that this is an honest property. It offers the basics at a good rate.

Shower could be cleaner. Bar fridge could be stocked. Old noisy aircons can be upgraded. Bar could be open. Vending machines should be able to take notes. Otherwise excellent experience.

Central. Well priced. Great parking. Right next door to restaurant. Quiet rooms. Perfect bed, bedding, and breakfast. Hassle free. Arty trendy funcy cool lift. I will stay there again. Around the corner from Mall of Africa.

Add bottles of water in the rooms

The bed was very comfy, the room was extra clean and spacious.Perfect for relaxing as the was no noise in and around the hotel

• Standard Twin Room

My linen was torn and I was booked in smoking room instant of the other way round.. The color of the bathroom was so depressing and sooo old fashioned..Shower is so tiny(2 ppl can’t fit in there) definitely not the cleanest too.. The light on the desk was not working. Lower price = comprised quality service..

• Standard Twin Room

Breakfast to expensive. Bedding - duvet inners to big for covers and opening must be at end of bed. Not at your face. Cups very small. Mugs will be better.

Hotel close to Gallagher .

• Standard Twin Room

There was only one set of towels in my room on Monday night, yet the room is a two sleeper. All other days there were two sets of towels

Close to amenities

Nothing really.

The room was comfortable, the bed was super got onto bed on arrival and after freshening up we hit the sack and had a peaceful night's sleep. The bathroom was adequate and very neatly maintained by your staff.

The bed wasn’t comfortable. Space in the room is very limited. You need to be a contortionist to be able to move in the bathroom. The staff at reception don’t acknowledge or great you when you come and go from the hotel, unless you say hello first, the security guards where more pleasant than the hotel reception staff. The kettle doesn’t fit the base, so you have to hold the kettle in place until it’s finished boiling. Breakfast was crazy expensive, even for a buffet. There aren’t enough plug points in the room. Every plug point there is, is being used by the rooms furnishings.

Housekeeping was able to provide feather pillows, which was nice. The location of the hotel is within walking distance to the Gallagher Convention Center and a 5 min car trip to the Mall of Africa. However it is near to a taxi rank and late night travels wouldn’t be safe. The rooms are sealed off well from outside noises and sounds.

Towels could be a better quality. The shower area is a bit small. I would encourage the hotel to put water bottles in the room

Staff were very professional at the hotel and I’d definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

The smoking rooms

Breakfast was great, thank you. Smoking hall with double beds was not nice, i just moved one floor up because of the smoking, but then i missed the double bed. Double bed none smoking would have been great. But otherwise i enjoyed the stay.

The toilet wasn’t cleaned very well during our stay. The heater wasn’t working Limited tv channels The internet was not really free as stated on booking.com but it was capped to 500MB/day per device The sofa in the room was really old and needs to be changed

The staff was really friendly and helped us with getting Uber’s.. the place is a walking distance from boulders mall and the train station not too far. The bed is comfortable

The fact that we had to go out of the hotel yard for dinner to their restaurant, and that the restaurant its a smoking area, we were bound to inhale the smoke from the bar whether we liked it or not.

The comfort of the bed

1. The tone of the lady on duty when I requested an extension to stay another day, how she commanded me to go to reception to pay immediately, how she will not wait for me, irrespective of how I explained that I was tied up at the time. That was unnecessary and made my stay feel unappreciated. 2. The room and bathroom were not clean, in the room there was peanuts on the floor & long hair on the linen/ blanket, & more in the bathroom. 3. Housekeeping kept banging on the door yet there was a “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door; even when I told them that I’m okay, they kept knocking, disturbing my private & quiet time.

The breakfast. The location (convenient). The room is great, everything is functional.

It is not worth the money. No Indian Brekafast though half the hotel was occupied by Indian guests. No package drinking water in room. Wi-fi always had a problem. No extra facilities in hotel.

I advised them when I arrived that it was my birthday however no gesture or well wish was extended. I would have thought that some wine or a chocolate would have been arranged... I would have appreciated some bottled water in the bar fridge......

I had thought that breakfast was part of the package only to be told at the venue that I needed to pay for Breakfast separately. So I decided to leave it.

We just wanted a place around Johannesburg where we can go and get some free air. This is exactly what we got and we going to keep this place in mind should we ever need to spend the night somewhere.

Breakfast limited options for R160,00. Limited cheese options only cheddar served,no cucumbers,no Macon for non pork eaters, no olives green and red peppers and mushrooms No one offered coffee or tea during breakfast

Cleanliness , professionalism and friendliness

TV channels didn't have Supersport 2 which is the one we usually watch.

The hotel met our needs as we had just nipped down to Johannesburg for one night, staff were friendly, we had room only so cannot comment on the breakfast but the dining decor is great. Easy parking facilities and generally comfortabe.

• Standard Twin Room

I did not like the smoking smell in my room although it was a non-smoking room. Smoking in rooms should be prohibited.

breakfast was really nice and rooms are clean

I have a pregnant wife and was given a smoking unit after booking a non smoking unit on the website. That was unacceptable And the staff wasn't very helpful in accomodating our situation

Room was not ready when I arrived after the checkin time.

The bed was comfortable. Good coffee. I have returned five times because I enjoy the predictability and close to Gallagher Estate.

There was loud disturbing noise at night, I'm not so sure if it was from the nearby rooms or the reception because we were like 20ft from the reception and main door

The bed was extra comfy. Amazing view. My boyfriend and I were astoundingly pleased 😁

Because l checked in at 6 I was told the room with queen beds were only in the smoking area of which it was not so comfortable as l could smell cigarette from my and in my booking l chose an option of a queen / double bed. I was told an alternative that l can get a twin room from the non smoking area which was not what l wanted

Bed was extremely comfortable and the place was clean

Enjoyed the little touches - extension mirror in bathroom, reading lights on headboard, seat in shower- soap with bobbles on one side - friendly staff

Breakfast too expensive. Wet towels were removed Saturday morning, but not replaced. Coffee, tea and milk in the room were not replaced after Saturday morning.

Neat and tidy.

• Standard Twin Room

We missed some things in our room. Towels was not replaced after cleaning - we had to go and ask at reception and there were no kettle in the room..

The special friendly staff was great!

Limited internet access

Friendly staff, from security at the gate to the reception. Room was clean and well made up. TV channels were sufficient. I had a good stay.

they did not provide toiletries we hd to request for things like a shower cap.the rooms are too small and the tv most of the channels wer not showing.there was no swimming pool or any other facility for activities

twas conveniently located

The parking. A covered parking can be an added advantage. Just imagine having hail in the vicinity.

Very easy booking system. The rooms are clean. The TV is good size TV. Friendly stuff. The location of the hotel is good.

With the frequent hail storms we are experiencing in Gauteng, it would be lovely if the hotel had covered parking bays for emergency purposes.

I was not on the premises most of the time. So coming from my meetings I was exhausted and it was lovely that the bed was comfortable.

• Standard Twin Room

The restaurant should give the option of being open until 7pm for light suppers. Also, it would have been great if there were was complimentary filter coffee for guests. The bathrooms have mildew in between the tiles and bedding was torn. Not one of the pillows was the same consistency of the others.

I would have love it if there was a restaurant or even a deli of somesort.

A three star hotel with 4 star rooms. Basic, clean, no fuss and most importantly the price. Rooms are extremely clean.

It will be better if the breakfast is included in the package.

Perfect location and near Mall of Africa. I could just drive few minutes and get to the shopping mall or restaurants.

• Standard Twin Room

No soap to wash hands in the bathroom.

Acknowledgement by every staff member from the guard to reception. Friendly and quick to assist me. Cleanliness of room and toilets. Lighting, safe parking although I was sceptical when I passed the taxi rank and boulders mall. Tea available in room. Shower was excellent.

Parking bays very narrow. We extended our stay by one day. Our room was given to another person whilst our belongings were still in the room.

Rooms were clean.

The faulty power socket. I couldnt charge my phone properly. Also the connection to the wifi was challenging and the fair usage limit was not realistic.

The bed was comfortable and enjoyed the satelite TV.

Was sad to leave the place, wish we were staying longer

The place is clean, staff excelent, location perfect, parking great, noice level zero! Really enjoyed my stay

Lazy front desk staff,I asked For wine opener and in the entire restaurant they didn’t had one,even the staff didn’t took an initiative to look for it in the restaurant,WiFi is not complimentary....apart from Staff the hotel is great to stay....

Location and rooms

The carpeting in the room. No matter how much vacuuming, it retains odours. Looking into alternative flooring might just be worth it.

The room was clean and neat.

• Standard Twin Room

I am a Mecure hotels loyalty member, but i was told by your staff that i could not earn my points because i booked on line. Which i did not quite understand.

My booking from Booking.com didn’t appear on their system. Fortunately I had my confirmation for the booking and the guy who was on duty was very efficient in assisting me and I paid the amount that I was quoted. When checking out on Monday morning the guy on duty told me I was under charged on Friday, probably because the booking didn’t appear on their system. Left him to sort it out with bookings.com

The price was good

• Standard Twin Room

The shower tiling ... colours ... cream or white would be nice .

Didn't have breakfast cos it was expensive. R155 when I can get a full breakfast for R70 or less

• Standard Twin Room

Checked in was really bad. Bad service received from the reception Lady. My room was not cleaned up the next day. No Toilette paper replaced. No new towel replaced Bed not mad the next day. Room kept in very bad and dirty state. Worse experience ever. I'll think twice before I book there again.

The room was very dark, the lap by the desk wasn’t working, the walls and window sills were very dirty

Friendly staff, the reception staff were welcoming and so was the gate security :)

My room was not big enough as I have seen it on the web and it was VERY stuffy, I think that should be attended too..

It’s was nice and quite. Very comfy bed and super clean linen..

The only challenge I experienced is that the room was a bit congested and so of eliminated or reduced comfort level in the room. In general it was a good stay.

The price was reasonably and the hotel is close to work. The staff was friendly. I also liked the peaceful environment at the hotel.

The only problem we encountered is the noise in the passages at really inconsiderate times maybe a sign could be out up requesting guests to be silent and respect the other guests trying to sleep

the lemonade when you arrive was a welcome refreshment

1. Noise in general from the neighbouring rooms. 2. Our non-smoking room was above the smoking rooms and we could smell the smoke drifting up all the time

Staff went out of their way to find a room for us as they could not trace our original booking from Booking.com, even though I could provide them with the reference number AND confirmation on my mobile phone.

I had absolutely no problem with the hotel it self. It was close to the venue which was perfect. I just didn't think it was a pretty neighborhood.

I felt safe, which was important to me.

A false fire alarm that went off! The room being serviced at 3pm when I wanted to rest after a long seminar!

The predictability as I have stayed there before . Tasty breakfast.

• Standard Twin Room

The woman at reception was exceedingly rude, please furnish me with an email address to send complaint to

Well appointeed, well furnished and comfortable

EXCELLENT SERVICE . I WAS ABSET THIS TIME BECAUSE THE PERSON ON DUTY (SUNDAY,22/OCTOBER -12H ) WHEN MY DAUGHTER ARRIVE FOR CHECK IN DID NOT ACCEPT TO CHECK HER IN DESPITE MY NOTE DURING RESERVATION MY PHONE & MY EMAIL FRIENDLY REMINDER . HE ASKED MY DAUGHTER TO FIRST PAY TO CHECK HER IN . JUST UNFEAR .PREVIOUS TIMES HAVE NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE TO EARLY CHECH HER IN .

We were offered one key to the room and it became work for one to have to call for the other to open for them.

The property is close to Mall of Africa, that's the best thing ever.

Perhaps less expensive breakfast.. some facilities... lastly, the road leading to the establishment does not appear to be safe for out of towners

The overall experience was pleasant

The room space is right and small.

Located along the freeway and is easily accessible. Adjacent to the hotel there are other essential amenities that made my stay comfortable.

Perfectly situated in terms of proximity to the event that we were attending. The staff showed concern over the risk of foreign vehicle vulnerability and made sure that the cars remained in their line of sight

Treatment by staff

I was shocked by the fact that we arrived with a huge load of suitacase and bags and were not offered help and then we were told that we should have asked and that the porter was nopt available. There was a clear racial flair to the treatment we got. Have stayed at the hotel a couple of times but will NEVER stay there again.

• Standard Twin Room

That when I got there in the evening there was no booking for me and my sister after driving all day long . This I see in a poor light as our booking was confirm in May 2017 for our stay towards the end of August 2017 . We were fortunate that the Hotel in question eventually made a plan you guys really need to get your act together as a matter of urgency . Regards Sharon

The service was great. We requested items twice and both times they were delivered within minutes. Great value for money. Fantastic location for work at Gallagher convention centre.

• Standard Twin Room

Wi-Fi was capped - and for business this is not really sufficient The reception staff always seemed busy amongst themselves, and thus they hardly noticed when you walked passed. In my 5 days in your hotel, I was only greeted twice by reception staff when entering and exiting the hotel.

Overall stay was pleasant. Rooms were clean and hotel was quiet overall Well situated for the purpose of our trip.

This was a very minor incident. I was not happy with the interaction i had with the reception who was on duty on the 16th night shift. i think he needs to be reminded about telephone etiquette

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel, the housekeeping house staff was very friendly rooms are very clean an neat.

Noisy sounds at night

The room was okay but air-conditioner noise through out the night from other rooms from fan mounted on the wall outside outside our room window, which made it difficult to sleep. Otherwise it was pleasant to stay there.

the air condition was not providing enough warm air, in this winter season!

could NOT eat at Mercure, because I had to be fasting before medical tests ...

• Standard Twin Room

The only thing that made my stay a little uncomfortable was: I believe my room was next to the airconditioners main as a result the noise made it not too comforting. The noise control of other guests was annoying especially becuase it went beyond reasonable and acceptable time for other guests. May be the hotel should put up a sign stipulating that each guest should respect the next guest.

Everything in the room was perfect. The Housekeeping staff kept my room excellently clean and at acceptable time. The rest of the staff that I managed to speak to were ready to help.

The room was a bit small for my liking but I guess its the standard.

I liked basically everything that was mentioned in the advert or accommodation description. I think it deserves the value it had. I would mind going back for another stay.

I had to ask for a shower cap and the lady didn't seem very helpful. Instead of her asking me if she can send someone to bring the shower cap to me I had to ask her if there is someone that can bring it to me.

• Standard Twin Room

Could have placed shower caps in the rooms than to have to go to reception to ask for one. Provide for 2pin adaptors or sockets for charging phones

Bed was very comfy yes. The bathroom was particularly clean.

No restaurant onsite but one right next door where we enjoyed a good dinner. Our room smelt slightly of cigarette smoke.

Breakfast had a nice selection. Good position for us as we were hiring a vehicle from a company next door.

located in an industrial area which I was a bit uncomfortable driving into at night a lot of noise from cleaning staff in the corridor early morning cold reception staff clean but had a slight stale smoke smell

good size tv nice comfortable bed

• Standard Twin Room

The bed was uncomfortably hard. Small bathroom, no bath. The shower in room 227 flooded the bathroom quite badly each time I used it - there was a large gap under the shower door that should have had a water seal strip.

I was able to open my room window for fresh air which was great. Courteous and professional staff. Well located in regards to Gallagher Convention centre.

Could have given complimentary scones or crossiants.

Check in was simple process with secure parkinging. Fresh clean sheets and room. Didnt have breakfast or meals. Situated close to my meetings and Mall of Africa.

Our stay at this property was excellent, we were given all the privacy that we needed. Truly this property exceeded our expectations and I would consider staying at Mecure again when I'm around Midrand

With the booking process via booking.com, no mention of smoker or non smoker room. Booking was in a smokers room, I do not smoke and asked for a non smokers room as it was smelly. Front desk could not move me as non smokers rooms was fully booked according to them, but said that they will move me the next morning to a non smokers, also I could leave my luggage, packed, they will move it the next day to new room. Upon arrival, after 7, that evening, it was not done and I was back in old smokers room, not acceptable at all! The vending machines wasn't working, no drinking water available in fridge.

Comfortable beds and nice showers

Browse Mercure Johannesburg Midrand traveller photo gallery