Reviews of Mercure Hotel Bedfordview 3 stars

33 Bradford Road, Bedfordview, 2047 Johannesburg, South Africa

#63 of 90 hotels in Johannesburg

It was a big struggle to get invoice from staff to do payment. Rooms need a bit of maintenance eg door handles broken.

This hotel is in a good location. Excellent value for money. Staff is friendly.

Bathrooms very tired. Couch dusty, linen had a rip in it and towels not fluffy, old. Blanket could have had a good clean

Front desk - Gogo was amazing, went out of her way

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Although i didn’t use the pool it seemed to be small which isn’t s good thing in summer

The environment was very good, there internet was perfect, nice and clean rooms.

Despite having a kitchenette the crockery and cutlery were lacking and no pots, utensils or cleaning items made basic cooking/heating of items was not possible.

My apartment was upstairs and there was cigar soot all over the steps doubt if it had been swept at all.was booked opposite people who were noisy who were drinking by the balcony up to around 1am .could not find any contacts anywhere for the reception to advise on this.had a terrible night .hotel reception number must be somewhere easily accesible for cases such as these.very dissapointed.have stayed at the mercure twice before and this time was very dissapointing

Very close to mall ...spacious rooms

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

I waited 3 hours for a blanket to come to my room and my fridge was not clean.

I liked the heater, all the finishes especially in the bathroom and the friendly service.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

No plug in bath. 4 guests and only 2 towels supplied. Freezing weather and no extra blankets. Duvet on queen bed looked like a double bed duvet so didn't even cover us. Old food in the cupboards in the kitchen. TV channels pathetic.

Although the hotel overall is comfortable it really is in need of an uplift. The net curtains in our bedroom were torn and the curtains just looked shabby. the carpets could also do with a spring clean. What we found amazing was the guests at breakfast all had Tupperware containers and were all stuffing as much as could fit into the containers to take away!! We found this to be very disturbing.

THe hotel is in good distance to the airport and is reasonably priced.

Very poor lighting. Very little space around the bed. No Towels on arrival. The whole place is in need of refurbishment. Noise form other clients and constant banging of car doors.

We were given an apartment which gave us the space we requested. It was nice to be able to work a a table.

The channels were quiet less than I expected.....was no mtv base n zero channelson 0

All was well very happy with the service...couldn't ask for another hotel

I had stayed at the Mercure previously and was blown away the the room I had, specifically the bathroom (modern). However the room given to us this time was very outdated and the kitchen and bathroom really need to be redone.

The rooms were very clean and staff extremely friendly.

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

The carpet in non smoking unit 116 was filthy, probably been shampooed & cleaned years ago. An old roof leak has caused the ceiling above the bed to sag and will drop out soon if not repaired. In December I paid just short of R700 for my one night stay, this time for the same one night I paid nearly R1100. I often stay over night in Jhb and for R200 more the comfort is much better. No plug in the wash hand basin. Management should take note.

The linen was crisp, fresh and nice, sadly the single blanket was dirty and unhygienic. Staff are friendly. Parking is safe and convenient.

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

My flat sheet had an iron burn mark it scratched my feet.The duvet cover was torn open around the corner.Inner came out while sleeping.

Loved the facilities.Dish washing liquid would have been nice to have.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

We called the reception twice for extra bath towels & never received them. They should rather have extra bath towels in the rooms, not just 2 small ones, that's too inconvinient. They leave their windows opened at night & it was cold when when we checked in around midnight. Travelling with kids, we prefer to find the rooms warm.

The rooms were clean.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

No Toilet paper and towels in room when we arrived. We booked and paid for 4 people, but room only catered for 2 people. Cutlery and glasses not enough. Had to ask for more. Room was not restocked during daily service. Had to again ask for toiletpaper. Bad attitude of staff when we asked for toiletpaper and towels on arrival. Carpets dirty. Rooms need maintenance. People in neighbouring room partied and played loud music till 01:00 in the morning. Management should address this kind of behaviour.

lack of maintenance and cleanliness, poor amenities and kitchenware though a big kitchen,slow and odd check in and out

location, near the airport and a big mall, possibility to pay at the property

Noise form other guests at the back of the building. This was very disturbing and impacted on our sleep. Not enough glasses.

We enjoyed the stay , however no towels supplied and some of the lighting fixtures did not work. The staff were quick to help us and it was lovely to have the space

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

The unit that was allocated to me was full of crawling cockroaches everywhere and it smelt as if it was not cleaned properly. The bed linen was not clean, it had fresh blood stains. The couch smelt as if it has been used as animals bed. The noise from other units was just too much.

Staff at reception were very approachable.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

The mall across the road is a no-go for uber. The apartments feel very old and little investment made in last 10 years. I woke up to find 3 JMPD police cars at the reception. It didnt feel like a safe area.

The staff were very friendly

First Night of arrival, which was on a Friday, there was so much noise late the evening. Don't know if your other guests had a party. Think it was in the Conference room downstairs. The screaming and the loud laughter till very late. Then your fridge makes a very loud noise. also could not sleep. At first we thought it was the Generator, but later found out it was your fridge in the apartment. Before leaving for dinner Friday night, we realized that the Lights outside on where off. We reported it on way out. When we got back, it was still off. Took a while to open our door as we could not see. Then the next day, Saturday 14th April 2018, it was raining and when we got back the evening, still no lights and I tripped on the stairs, hurting my knee. Sunday evening, still NO LIGHTS! I also find that the Cleaning Staff are too loud when chatting with each other, especially outside your window. This is just an opinion, when it is a self catering apartment, it would be appreciated that you let your guests know to bring their OWN pots. Does not help if you have a stove and other utensils, but NO Cookware. And also, your own towels.( I had to phone Reception to ask if you provided towels, they later brought them.) Also make sure your taps are in working order. I got into the Shower Saturday morning, and the HOT tap would not Close.... and the cold tap would NOT open...Had to phone for Maintenance for assistance. I hope this info helps in maintaining a successful Business.

your very FRIENDLY STAFF. right up till the friendly shuttle service. I Liked the idea it was the perfect location for where we needed to be for that particular event. it was neat and Clean. parking was accessible. was very happy with Security.

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

parking broken things lights that are not working outside

how you welcomed us and how easy it is to sign in and out. how friendly your people are neatness and area

The breakfast was good though overpriced as by time I reached there only few pots had anything in them. Empty and they should have taken it away or kept them full till breakfast was over !! Coffee cups I had to ask for..its as if they forget to look what's needed. Milk was finished I had to ask for some. Chef made lovely omelette . Just need your waiters to be around your guests and ensure they happy at breakfast time. If breakfast time is between 7 and 10..ensure enough food is out to the amount of guests that have been booked in. I could have got same breakfast at a wimpy but I paid more for a buffet ..but didn't get it as post were empty. No ice trays In the freezer .

I wasn't there long enough to know there was a pool. The rooms were very clean and stylish. Please ensure each room has glasses to drink from as I had to phone. Service is quick to be delivered to the room. Beds are comfy. Lots of cupboard space . Loved the apartment . Right across the road is a huge mall.

The Receptionists do not solve problems, you complain about something, they will say they will do something but never get back to you and the problem lingers.It was

Close to Esatgate Mall, the size of the room was good and it was an accessible location to have meetings.

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

The rooms need a very good cleaning - unit 603 the bathroom floor etc needed a good clean and unit was very tired Next sta unit 105 much fresher - wasn’t happy finding pubic hair on the bed sheet and the bath wasn’t very clean . Everything else fine and reception staff and taxi staff great. There was a drunken crowd performing in neighbouring block when we were in 603 at 2 am in morning we complained to night manager who seemed aware of situation - but unable to control it

The space and facilities

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

we didnt like the fact of not having an adapter plug to charge our phones and also the bathroom was full of water on the ground and there were no mops etc to clean

the fact of the Hotel being infront of eastgate and facilitates a lot

The rooms are cockroaches fested. And I have complained about it instead the hotel called the police to have me and my visiting partner from Germany removed. On the second night of our 8 nights stay my engagement and birthday dinner was put on ice. The unbearable garden party noise which was underway made it impossible to have an peaceful night let alone a romantic dinner. The party goers raised the noise levels even more after the hotel management intervention. But they were not having none of it! The management let us know that they could not control noise levels as it was a large group. This situation put a strain on my relationship as my parter had traveled all the way from Germany in order to propose on my birthday. The rooms are not serviced to a satisfactory standard. The curtains are disgustingly soiled and greasy. The bathroom facilities are old and stained to a point that the service team could not fix. The coaches are broken ,dirty and have holes on them. As a result on the 04th of march we were moved to room 604. And given two nighs stay. The room was cleaner, at face value. Due to the stress level experienced my partner and I decided to extend our stay by adding 3more nights at the room mentioned. However on the tuesday we were woken by coackroaches. We also noticed that house keeping staff did not change our linen. All issues were once again brought to the attention of the manager. We demanded that he come to collect the coackroachs at the same time asked confirm that indeed the linen was stained and was not changed the previous day. We showed him the damaged curtains, the broken microwave, the cigarets buds on the balcony which ha been then since Sunday. What he did to remedy the situation was to summon he staff to tend to the room. A new couch;microwave, set of Linen and towels were brought in. My partner and I wasted yet another day as we we're keep in the room while the staff took the entire day to turn the situation around.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

The heat didn't work in my room. They kept checking it but it wouldn't work an it was very cold rainy and windy.

I like the staff they are so nice.

location and security

were 3 only received 2 sets os towels. room servicer came to know what time we were leaving, which I think is not correct. No utensils in the kitchen, no pans, not enough plates and cups, etc.

There were not enuf towels in the bathroom. The breakfast was okay but most of the items were cold. Next time you must place the pots on a warm or hot something.

The bed was comfy and the location just a walking distance away from.the mall it was really amazing. Would want to book for a week nd in future for the whole family am sure they will enjoy the place.

It appears at the time the hotel had new cleaning/housekeeping staff as their service was astonishingly sloppy.

The rooms and ambience were comfortable

the online pictures of the hotel and what you get when you arrive are very different. the room is old, air con is very noisy, old carpets, old bathrooms, housekeeping was inadequate, stale motel stench hanging in the room. wifi didn't work so very frustrating for a business trip because it was difficult to get work done that required wifi.

very spacious and would be great for people wanting to shop or do sightseeing and stay in the Bedfordview area. very secure, lots of parking.

Very spacious, and to be honest it was way beyond what I expected because of the price, beautiful marvelous and very convinient for people who are not fond of the place everything is close by. Definitely going back it was very comfortable and clean!!

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Shuttle quoted 450 for pick up from airport but managed to get an Uber for R144.

Location...we in close proximity to many attractions eg.gold reef, eastgate shopping centre, emperors palace and monte casino

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

The room was altogether in a a bad state of repair , bad lighting and old. List aircon unit in the lounge only ... always had to ask for fresh towels they never replaced them when they cleaned the room.

Beds were comfy

soap from previous tenant left in the soap dish. Had to go to reception and ask for towels. breakfast at 7 - 7.30 was cold. when I went earlier at 6.30 breakfast was hot.

unit comfortable. near to shopping centre and food hall and taxi rank

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

°First the staff, they are rude, i have send an email before to check in before 10 AM. So we wait till 4 PM to enter at the room. And the check in time is 2 PM. ° They charge a lot for the breakfast also.. and not much options. °Also when i was check out, the hotel front desk agent was too rude, asking 50 rands for a taxi that i didn't even see.. they look like scam for a big group hotel.

The rooms are big and comfortable, also they are near to a lot of shops and malls.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

the place was very dirty, I got the appartment with coffee dropped and I was not cleaned up. Overall was very dirty. Also 4 people with only 2 bath towels and no other towels.

Nice layout of appartments.

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

The front desk frmale staff being very arrogant and my request of early check in wasn't regarded and the worst of all is tgere is no room service even for a bottle of water.

I didn't like the noise the contruction was making, the that all glasses provided weren't same size, we had to call requesting towels to be provided from day 1 and most importantly...we found an empty packet of a condom under the couch sitting blocks.

The room was nice

The bathroom was still a bit dirty. The female staff at the restaurant were a bit unfriendly and service was extremely slow as we waited 45 mins for lunch on Saturday, after asking about dinner and being told I could order anytime when I went to the restaurant after 19:00 I was told I could not order any food due to a private function which I was not informed about.

The room was great big and spacious. The staff at reception were a great help. Patrick at the restaurant was great. The wifi worked perfectly and enjoyed the amenities in the room.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Just a suggestion...an iron would ne very nice and efficient in each room and adaptors for charging phones..they need to consider getting more people for reception as when you phone at times no one answers the phone..and would prefer if someone were to do follow ups on bookings,it makes one feel valued and important and its a good platform for questions..

Its affordable...closer to the mall.and good value for money...the shuttle service guys are excellent..was very impressed with their service and professionalism.would definitely come back,maybe with family this time around.

The access steers to the up appartaments are not so clean, and the air condition is not Good enouth 4 2 bedroom appartaments

Is near to the shopping mall

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

the bed was comfortable and the blankets were clean.its a good place to relax with your friends or family.However, there is need for improvement for kids entertainment channels and upgrade some old furniture.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Cupboard could be upgraded in the rooms, it does not go with the rest of the rooms that is modern.

It is very accessible, very spacious two bedroom unit, with a relaxing lounge and a table to do some work if need be.

Facilities need refreshing, old noisy aircon,the WiFi range is poor, TV snowy picture, expensive breakfast. No utensils in the studio,after several requests a huge pot, a frying pan brought.had to ask for cutlery and plates again. If they've stopped self catering they should just say. This was not as I remembered from many stays before.

Great location. Rooms are clean. Staff friendly and responsive although facilities let them down.

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

The hotel is not bad for a cheap hotel but in need of updating, especially the bathroom and bedroom on the apartment, things are looking really old and worn, with some things broken. Air conditioning unit is also located in a strange location, in the living area near the floor, it does not circulate around the apartment and is extremely loud

Location is good if you need to be in the bedfordview area, close to Eastgate shopping centre with plenty of options for eating out

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

For the 11 days we stayed there the cleaning was done after 4pm we would leave in the morning & come back to find that they busy cleaning & all We want to do is rest & relax

Close to the Mall & the homely feel

The service was terrible. The staff acts like they are doing you a favour for any request you have. Some plugs do not work. The room was not absolutely clean and housekeeping forgot to leave towels. The remote control of the A/C was not working either.

Location in front of a shopping mall.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Room was very dirty, air conditioner insufficient, fridge had old food and liquids in from previous guest, had to request fresh towels both nights

Location was good.

Non professionalism of the way the facility is run.. The facility is run in a non professional way. The irons are not properly functional. They initially booked us into a room that was dirty. Secondly Those black bins that they use as trolleys are also non professional for that kind of facility. Day 3 we didn't have hand towels in our room. The sachet ls was not enough for the number of people in the room.. It's family rooms but they leave only 2 sugar sachets. There is a lot of improvements needed. Lots of noise as well. It's like apartments as opposed to hotel.

Convenience to shopping areas

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

Small pool, broken sun loungers. Lack of pool towels (when we asked for pool towels we were given hand towels). Basic but comfortable rooms.

Handy for the airport. Very friendly staff.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

There were no towels - we had to phone housekeeping for it twice and then they could not produce a towel for each person. There were almost no cutlery - we wanted to make a cup of coffee and could not even find a cup of a mug to make it in. No knife to spread butter with or a teaspoon to stir your coffee with. The bathroom has seen better days but were usable.

The space was big enough for our family. The beds were comfortable.

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

We forgot some items in room 501,a cellphone and a white towel. We then called to enquire only to be told that nobody saw the items.

Two bed rooms were specious and wonderful

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Lack of cuttleries,utensils and cleaning material like a broom or dish clothe. You cannot always wait for house keeping.we had to keep on requesting things that were suppose ti be there at first place

The location the building very nice

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Internal service for e.g. The towels & the iron took forever to be delivered which took up a lot of our time waiting Second problem was the keys for our apartment every time we left and got back to our apartment whatever time it was the keys did open our door then we had to wait for someone to open it and that took forever as well

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Manager has no customer service. Check in was delayed by 3 hours! No crockery and cutlery as specified. Laundry service was delayed everyday. Porch was very dirty for a duration of 5 days.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Too many knocks on the door for room service. Very disturbing. Carpets somewhat smelly

The location. Near to malls and eateries. The rooms are comfortable

Bathroom sink was clogged,outlet pipe came loose and messed the floor.leaking toilet wastage of water,blinds came falling down,airconditioner not working blowing hot air. Curtains unhooked from rail. Urgent maintenance of place is required.towels not replaced in time had to phone

Location size of the apartment

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

OOPS, ROOM SERVICE FORGOT TO SERVICE MY APARTMENT ON THE FIRST NIGHT. BUT I WILL EXCUSE THEM FOR THE MISHAP. WATER LEAKING ONTO FLOOR WHEN USING WASHER. MAINTENANCE COULD ATTEND TO THIS MINOR HITCH.

GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY FOR ESPECIALLY FOR THE 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT. CENTRAL LOCATION. NO UNPEASANT SURPRISES.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

No aircon in bedrooms, made them so uncomfortable. My apartment was not cleaned on one of the days even after hanging a correct sign outside my room. Room cleaning is done very late and they did not put towels at times. Towels were quite few for a family of five. The manager was not on site to receive complaints. The staff just listened and did not show any commitment to help. Shuttle service is quite expensive, charged us 450rand versus Uber 120rand, a slight downward review would be quite Welcome.

Proximity to the mall

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Room service was slow. One night was a church/choir service in one of the rooms opposite my room which was extremely noisy. After reporting to the reception nothing was done. The available TV channels are disappointing, for a family room they was no Kiddies channel. BBC news had no volume.

The rooms were reasonably good for the cost price.

The fact that there was no WiFi in the room and more Dstv channels

The bed was a lot comfortable and I would love to visit the property pretty soon again because the environment was cozy and I enjoyed my stay.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

I had to request everything from my room Half toilet paper Only 2 towels but booked for 4 people No shower caps No sugar for coffee My room had to cleaned in the evening after I requested to see the manager The balcony and the steps to rooms are never cleaned Staff made a habit to apologise for every thing not done properly than learning from past mistakes.

The bachelor flat set up

They have a dining table but cannot provide Room Service.

The room is very spacious, freezer, air-conditioner and microwave functions properly, the bathroom has both the bathtub 🛁 and shower 🚿 with no complications in water variety.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

That they don't provide breakfast as part of the package.

The provision they have for accommodating a family; giving privacey also it's close to the shopping mall.The staff is very friendly from the security reception down to the house keeping.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

There is only one Aircon in the lounge area and didnt work that well. Rooms have no airconditioning and made it hard too sleep.

Good food and near to Eastgate mall. Swiming pool is small but still relaxing with taning beds around the pool.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

The staff at the reception who was on night during check in. Very unprofessional, issued a room opposite to what was requested

Convenience to surrounding areas especially the mall.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Very convenient the rooms very clean the bathroom did not have enough towels for two people and the air on very noisy in more than one room that I occupied in the last three months

• Standard Apartment with 1 Queen bed

The rooms are filthy! There are cockroaches all over the rooms, bathrooms, more in the kitchen. I had to buy doom and spray it until I left. The floors are dirty, carpets filthy! Carports are almost falling over.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

They should also clean the patio everyday, the same as they clean the rooms. I don't understand why should they clean everything so well but not include the rooms,cause we should be able to relax in the patio as well.The pool side didn't have enough shelters/umbrellas,they were only 2.

The bed was so comfortable and clean.They changed the bedding everyday.Provided us with extra towels.Our room was always clean.It made our stay very pleasant.

The cleaning ladies lack customer relationship skills. They make noise and some are rude and disrespectful. I really urge Booking.com to engage the management of this facility on the attitude and behaviour of their house keeping staff. One of our rooms 503 was not cleaned, the other one 504 was cleaned but there were no towels in the bathroom. New coffee mugs dissappered in room 504. The whole experience left a bad taste and have submitted a complaint to the GM.

Location is close to shops. The suites are homely and spacious (gives a home away from home feel)

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Crockery ,cutlerry,pots and pans very poor. Cleaner washed dishes with just water, said that there was no soap Noise levels amongst the cleaning staff extremely high, no regard for guests whatsoever at this establishment. The airconditioning was not working.

The cleanliness of the unit

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

It was like a little flatlet and it was comfortable, just the bedroom was a bit small for the size bed in there.

It was comfortable and easily accessible. Staff were pleasant.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Some of the TV stations were not available for the two days. The furniture had a musty smell and was not comfortable. The carpet in the room needs replacing as it feels sticky under foot The bathroom could be updated.

The position to Bedford View and freeways good.

• Standard Apartment with 2 Queen beds

Badly managed and maintained. On arrival there was no electricity in room, there was a water leak which left entire kitchen floor wet and aircon stopped working after 10 minutes. Other guests were gaving a party until early hours of the morning and there was no noise control. Food was great but we waited about 40 minutes for our drinks and toasted sandwiches. Cleaners arrived before check out time to remove bedding and towels so had to leave early... Will not recommend this Hotel at all.

Spacious