Reviews of Ocean View Hotel

1 Main Road, 5082 Coffee Bay, South Africa

#2 of 6 hotels in Coffee Bay

• Double Room with Sea View

Unfortunately no hot water in shower. And I asked reception about the hot water and they told me to run water as long as I can and I waited for 15 min and the hot water didn’t show up so I took a shower in cold water. The wifi very bad. Didn’t work at all.

The view was outstanding and the best beach ever. The dinner and the breakfast was very good.

• Double Room with Sea View

I wanted to stay longer and not leave. To be picky, the water want hot enough for the morning shower, but this could be because of energy saving... I'm not sure.

I loved the view of the ocean from my room. Staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Double Room with Sea View

The potholes on the last stretch of road leading up to the hotel. But I'll gladly drive that road again to enjoy the experience.

I was scheduled to arrive a little later than usual, and was pleasantly surprised when I received a call from the reception desk to check if I was ok and still en route. I arrived a few minutes before the reception desk and the restaurant closed, but both went out of their way to accommodate me. Due to my dietary requirements, I was not able to partake in a number of the buffet items on the menu, so I received a discount for dinner without even asking for it! Breakfast was great, and the view of the beach from my room was breathtaking. Planning to go back with my kids so that they can also enjoy this, despite the 11 hour drive to get to the place from Johannesburg. Very impressed. Wish I had booked for longer.

• Double Room with Garden View

The WiFi was a little lacking.

The breakfast was awesome...lots of variety and very tasty. The staff was super friendly and happy to have you there. Excellent place overall.

• Double Room with Sea View

Our "Ocean View" was obstructed by trees and a thatch roof and we could not change our room yet still paid the full price for a room with an ocean view... bit disappointing.

We liked the closeness to the beach

• Double Room with Sea View

The hotel wasn't clean. It was rusty and dusty. One of the hotel staff, I guess he is a receptionist wasn't friendly. The TV wasn't working properly. The drinks are very expensive.

The activities near the hotel.

• Double Room with Garden View

The road from N2 to Coffee Bay; don't travel at night, as potholes will be an issue. As soon as we arrived, I relaxed immediately

Extra friendliness of all staff; we felt part of a family our entire stay. We are already planning our next trip.

See above

It’s no secret this is an ‘antiquated’ hotel. In its defence it is in a remote location. We loved the dinner (R195). The service and friendliness in the restaurant is very average. Our room was reasonably clean but the fan was caked in dust. The manager (male, 50s, white hair, glasses, Ocean View blue collared shirt) spent more bossing around the cleaners and gardeners rather than concerning himself with the guests. A few locals told us he is not well liked in the town. The hotel was basically empty but we were given the room directly next to the restaurant which was odd. We just found the whole place quite backward. We won’t stay again as it just felt unfriendly. I will say the chef who has the tattoos and likes heavy metal music was a great guy and very friendly.

• Double Room with Garden View

1.Staff personal-We were stuck in the heart of a township in the rain and darkness.Took the Nolitha's Clinic turn off which took us on a 58km gravel journey.We called the receptionist about 1pm.She did not check on our safety at all. 2.Rooms- leaking floor.Moved to Room 2 - no fridge and sliding toilet seat and a leaking shower that messed the floor. 3.Informed in the booking no pork and beef for the wife.Was not noted. 4.Attitude of the white staff member.Rude and abrupt.She needs customer care relations

Beautiful view.Hotel has much to offer. It needs leadership and visionaries to turn it around.With investment this place can become a Mini-Mauritius.Will be fully booked all year round. Your chef and driver to the hole in the wall was professional .Sat's seafood dinner was class.

• Double Room with Garden View

Wi fi is almost non existent. The signal is too weak and gets often disconnected. Sheets and mattresses are stained in multiple places. In the first room we got assigned the mattress stank of urine but the staff nicely moved us to a different room and the situation was better. Still stained sheets and mattresses though.

Very nice breakfast

• Family Room with Sea View

Confusion with booking, rude lady at reception, power outtage with no generator and having to use lanterns. No shampoo and body wash in room and no phone for room service.

The location and home made bread

Nothing to complain.

Ocean View Hotel actually took me by surprise. The hospitality was phenomenal. There isn't anything I can complain about. The staff were absolutely polite and ever so helpful. Fantastic service. The restaurant staff were super helpful and made me feel special due to my vegetarian diet. They went out of their way. From the receptionist to the cleaner-all the staff were extremely helpful and ever so willing to go out their way. It is rare to receive this kinda of service in this day. If I am going to Coffee Bay again - I will definitely return to Ocean View Hotel. The location is stunning. Excellent service - i highly rate it.

Bathroom door didnt close- room 3

The view was spectacular. Friendly staff. Good food. And overall pleasant atmosphere. Not strict with meal times so gave us time after tours to eat comfortably even though we arrived at the last minute.

The check in and out The breakfast The Dinner

DREADED Black Shower Mould “Good location but let down by dirty mouldy bathroom.” The check in and out was fast and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast had a large variety. We had dinner (seafood buffet) which was very pleasant and reasonable.

• Family Room with Garden View

The hotel is old but fairly well maintained. Think older Holiday Inn in the US. The area can only be reached via 70km of very bad road. Takes 2 hours minimum.

Location, Location, Location

• Family Room with Sea View

Didn't notice any of that.

Cozy and quiet hotel with great location and direct access to the very wild beautiful beach. Various breakfast and dinner menu, good local wines, friendly stuff. Strongly recommend to stay here if you going to visit Coffee Bay.

• Double Room with Sea View

More attention to garden maintenance would make a positive difference We did not enjoy the food at all. No taste or flavor. Needs modernizing

Beautiful Sea view

• Double Room with Sea View

The Seaview rooms are in the old part of the hotel. We would book Gardenview rooms next time

The setting right on the beach was fantastic. Staff went out of their way to see to our every need. The temporary masseuse -Pumla- gave us the best massage we have had for ages. Highlight of the stay - the hike along the cliffs to Hole in the Wall with guide Bee - breathtaking views It’s not a stiff unfriendly five star - it’s a friendly, comfortable family hotel that you will want to return to

• Double Room with Sea View

The whole place needs a renovation. Its not a bad hotel, but facility weren't improved in a while. Walls, floors, surfaces and so on.

Really nie location, really good food, nice room.

• Family Room with Garden View

Overall it looks nice but in detail it could be better and cleaner... The price does not really fit to the hotel conditions.

Really friendly and helpful staff and also dinner and breakfast were delicious.

• Family Room with Sea View

The price was not commensurate with the facilities, but they have a bit of a monopoly. Also the staff was overly dramatic about the hike to the Hole in the Wall, and insisted that we pay for a guide since we were "two white guys". In fact, we simply parked at the Hole in the Wall Hotel and walked over to the site. It's safe, and everyone was very friendly.

Along with the Hole in the Wall Hotel, the Ocean View is the only non-backpacker spot in Coffee Bay. The setting is beautiful, the food is basic, and the facilities were fine.

• Double Room with Garden View

All the food is buffet style. After a big lunch and dinner, maybe a non-buffet option for lunch would be great. I just needed a sandwhich or a snack

The service at the hotel was exceptional. Behind the desk staff were efficient and helpful. The staff on grounds were willing to help with bags and anything you needed assistance with. Management was informative, friendly and just made the holiday such a treat

• Double Room with Sea View

The room was not cleaned yet on arrival but we went out and came came back it was clean

The view and the food for breakfast. The sea breeze it was so wonderful guys I'm willing to come back soon

• Family Room with Garden View

No privacy when you in your room. A guest brought his dog and it literally didn't stop barking, but because he's a regular no one said anything to him - it was really irritating! Food pretty average. I wouldn't recommend this place to people who don't have kids.

Its right on the beach - fab location

• Double Room with Garden View

There was nothing to dislike.

From phoning to get directions to leaving on my last day everything was perfect. The staff there is really something else and the food is something to write home about. You cannot go wrong booking here.

• Double Room with Sea View

the long drive to Coffee Bay in the mist was a bit scary; there is a lot humidity in the room (we had a room near the beach); no help with our luggage in the pooring rain

the general manager of the hotel did the booked tour to "hole in the wall" with us: great experience & great effort; buffet in the hotel was excellent; the "special" request we had noted in the comment was taken care off (not every hotel looks at this comment)

• Double Room with Sea View

The Internet connection was very slow and most of the times not available. But don't forget that the part of the country is not very good developed and therefore no real complain.

Fantastic location. Probably the best option when you stay in Coffee bay. Don't expect a luxury hotel, but it's a good choice. The staff was very helpful and supportive. The value for money is top. I would always go there when I'm in Coffee bay.

• Family Room with Garden View

old and our bedtom was at back of hotel and woke us ay 5 am when kitchen staff started in kitchen

the trouble staff and manager went yo to accommodate us after booking .com failed to book the room for us

• Double Room with Sea View

The rooms need a lot of TLC. Some areas that one needs to drive through ,not always pleasant

Great location , good attempt to provide 3 meals ( is actually the only option)

• Double Room with Sea View

The rooms , although clean were looking tired (I believe they are to be refurnished. The Hole in the Wall 4x4 tour offer by hotel at R200 per person was over priced and in hindsight should rather have used our own vehicle. Outside of Hotel Coffee Bay is badly neglected / litter everywhere. The coast and views are absolutely beautiful but due to the village condition we will not go back. Was in Coffee Bay 30 years ago and it is sad to see such a beautiful place been ruined by lack of maitenance and care

Food was excellent. Staff friendly .

• Family Room with Sea View

Booking through booking.com doesn't always work flawlessly

Incredible location and a really beautiful terrace on the beach. The service we got was beyond great. Very helpful staff and really accommodating. Food on site is really of great quality and excellent value for the money.

• Double Room with Garden View

Although the rooms are dated it was clean. New coat of paint on walls needed. Think about installing a door between the bathroom & the room - enables extra privacy if needed. Drive to hotel - lots of potholes.

Friendly & accommodating staff - always ready to assist. Special mention of Ken who ensured that meals we requested for were available. Thank you to the chef as well who prepared delicious vegetarian dishes for us. Location on beach a bonus - it was like being on a private beach. Unspoilt beach & surrounding. Very peaceful & relaxing. Will definitely visit again

• Double Room with Sea View

Absolutely lovely to arrive at a little oasis after such a long drive. The full board was a bonus for us as we did not have to worry about where to find a meal, nor scout around for shops. Well worth it!

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Double Room with Sea View

Awesome views. Amazing food included with the full boarding option. Staff incredibly helpful and willing to go out of their way for you. Definitely will be returning for a longer stay!

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Double Room with Garden View

The closet was not clean. It was smelly and all the clothes we put in there came out smelly. The curtains did not fit the window panes so didn't close properly. There was no couch inside the room so could not chill inside. The tv screen was laptop size and so couldn't watch football easily.

The food was great. The location was superb. It's a quick walk down to the beach. No commercial places around which means rest and rest. Some fun activities around which can be booked through the hotel.

• Family Room with Garden View

Bathroom,should have a seperate shower.

Good food,comfy beds,locality to beach 100%,Friendly staff,Friendly and accomodating manegement.Wondefull pet reception!

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

• Family Room with Garden View

1. The do-called Spa treatments although on the hotel premises is not supplied by the hotel. It is outsoursed and operatef NOT by a prof. person. It is done by a man clearly not trained in this trade but has ulterior motives! I also did NOT get what I paid for & the whole experience was the worst and disturbing experience for me. I cancelled the other treatment appointment 2. Mildew in bathroom- spritzing with jik after each guest stay would keep it away but clearly neglected. The Cupboard shelf is broken and damp mildew lingering. The tours on offer not done by a professional company it is offered by various locals that make themselves available (local job creation). If you have the hotel GM take you then you have the best 'guide'. So dont expect the 'touch of class' one gets from prof. tour operators but I still highly recommend you hire them. They not expensive but in par for what you get.

Better than I expected. Manager was always pleasant and accommodating. Food was tasteful and they tried their best to give a variety. Some people I read complain, yet they forget this is not a 5* hotel and it is literally built on the beach edge so the hotel is needing attention as it is right on the beach and therefore needs high maintenance, which clearly the rates charged to guests cannot sustain this need. The view frim the dinning area is brilliant and very photo genic! The hotel has just a flimsy metal mesh fence seperating the hotel grounds and the beach. It is not lifeguard monitored but a lovely walk can be enjoyed. medium to large cobble pebbles are abound. It is well worth paying the R400 for them to drive you to the Whole-in-the-Wall & return. Try planning when it is low tide to get right up to the hole. A small Safe is supplied in the room and a def. must use. Bar prices very reasonable. Even though I give this hotel 3* as a very seasoned traveller of normally 4-5* grading, I would recommend this hotel and yes I would return just remember it truely is put the way and no 'delivery couriers' go there and therefore to obtain merchandise etc is a mommoth task and planning yet you can expect to be well fed and looked after. Definately worth the price they charge as it is truely all inclusive. (obviously except drinks from the bar)

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Double Room with Sea View

Stinky bathroom Overall bad cleanliness Quality of food is bad; also led to diarrhea to both me and my girlfriend. Staff decided the tip on some bills Parking was a mess We've done a tour with a staff's friend because the real guide wasn't available. We discovered that later - very unprofessional Couldn't close the door of the room from the inside. Everyone could have walked in (no security at the entrance) Very loud drum party until 23.30. Couldn't sleep. I would never reccomend this place to anyone.

The sea & beach

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The constant harresment of locals is more of a issue away from the hotel when going on walks and excursions than within the grounds .

Liked the easy non formal yet well managed hotel and guest experiance , We had 3 special events over the 4 nights we stayed as a group of 10. All our requirments for my Dads 80Th where met with a smile and 100% effort . The area in which the hotel finds itself is of wonderful natural beauty and blends itself into the enviroment well.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Double Room with Sea View

Delightful staff, everyone going the extra mile to make sure guests are hapay. Big comfortable bed, room clean. Full board package good value for money.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Double Room with Sea View

The long not so good roads to the place. The steep staircase to our room.

Good comfortable bed. Beautiful sea view. Pleasant country feel to the place. Peaceful. Good food and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

The beach was a little disappointing post New Years celebration

Ken was an absolute super star.nothing was too much and he took such great care of us.good was lovely and wholesome

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Double Room with Garden View

The TV channels need to be improved, not everyone going there is traveling with kids. As they theme their nights it would be nice if they did a traditional theme and see what they come up with in the kitchen.

I enjoyed most of their meals, the facility itself, and the privacy it gives you when you're on the beach. You need to see it for yourself to experience paradise. Otherwise the place is amazing.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

the rooms and bathrooms especially need to be improved and maintained. fixtures and fittings falling off the walls and very old and rusted.

The view was great and the staff were awesome and so friendly. every one is so willing to help all the time...

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Family Room with Garden View

I had difficulty switching on the TV. I needed to shine my shoes but no brushes etc were available.

Good food , comfortable bed, friendly management and staff which made a first time visitor feel welcome.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Family Room with Garden View

rooms dated and not really clean; need urgent renovation; many roaming dogs in the hotel area and on the beach

very nice location; breakfast with a view to surfing dolphins; organized 4WD trip to hole in the wall

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Family Room with Sea View

The rooms were not comfortable , i.e. A painted floor , fan not working , no light in the bathroom that was working and Internet not working. Considering the price of our stay the above observations is a little disappointing.

The location is perfect , and the restaurant carvery was very good in terms of our dinner and breakfast.

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

The meals were average. The room we were in was old and needs serious upgrading. We really felt we weren't getting value for our money. I was personally quite annoyed with the number of dogs going in and out the restaurant area during meal times. Sometimes even sniffing on your food while eating!

Staff were friendly. Good location.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Initial room had no cupboard doors,no where to put toiletries in the bathroom.Mats were dirty.The cornice around the ceiling had cobwebs.Far too many dogs are running in and out the dining room.

The location was great.After complaining about our initial accommodation,we were moved to a recently renovated room which was a significant improvement on room 21.

• Double Room with Sea View

Beautiful views over the bay early in the morning with whales and dolphins feeding on the sardines close to shore.

All was excellentPerfect

The room

Iron not good

Location, remoteness and food

• Double Room with Garden View

Stunning beach views like Paradise Friendly staff Good food Just amazing place to visit

• Double Room with Sea View

Plumbing was problematic but fixed quickly.

bathrooms.

the food and the views

• Double Room with Garden View

External parking and no curry😀

Neat, clean , safe , good location

• Double Room with Sea View

Road to get to the hotel was bad at places

Beautiful location.Friendly staff.Stayed 4 nights too long too little to do.

beautiful setting

• Double Room with Sea View

Luxurious stay in most beautiful coffee bay

• Double Room with Garden View

I had to leave really early before the kitchen opened so they made me a breakfast pack, which was a nice touch.

• Double Room with Sea View

Everything, the staff, the location, the rooms and the fantastic food

Buffet only option. Menu for ALa Carte is a publunch menu However food were ok

• Double Room with Garden View

The cockroaches in the rooms.

Swimming pool and few metres to the beach, and of course a bar.

• Double Room with Garden View

Wifi Could have been better.

Beautiful Location right at the beach. Very nice and cosy rooms with splendid Ocean view. Excellent Food!

Needs some updating.

Beautiful wild coast experience. Property right on the ocean.

Awesome location and views

• Double Room with Sea View

The distance involved to get there

The view from our bedroom. Food very good and pleasant staff.

• Double Room with Sea View

Shower looked grimy, food was mediocre.

View from the hotel; staff were welcoming and friendly

• Family Room with Garden View

The bathroom and lack of braai facilities.

It has adequate security

Dogs in dining area

Mostly everything except dogs in the dinning area

Seafood evening

Seaview

• Double Room with Sea View

Food was good and I am sure people that go there do it for the surfing and fishing.

• Double Room with Sea View

Building needs a bit of TLC

Sea view