Reviews of Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperors Palace 5 stars

64 Jones Road, 1620 Kempton Park, South Africa

#14 of 55 hotels in Kempton Park

• Classic Twin Room

TV wasn’t working properly, most of the channels were snowy. No Bathrobes or Slippers in room. Noise levels were high due to refurbishments to other rooms on my floor.

My cleaning lady was extremely helpful.

• Classic Twin Room

Non smoking room smelt of smoke, air con control didn't adjust. Went for drinks at bar outside restaurant , very poor service, barman was too busy mixing cocktails to even acknowledge my presence, eventually got served after 15 minutes.

Bed very comfy, super breakfast.

I booked two rooms at the Peermont d'Oreale Grande for the night of 23 September 2017 for a family getaway. Everything seemed fine until we decided to go to bed. My husband has sleep apnoea and has to sleep with a CPAP device, without which he will die. Next to the bed are two plugs for the bedside lamps. The sockets are however small and not able to fit the CPAP device. The only two plugs up to ZA standards are in the passage and at the desk - both meters away from the bed. He called reception and asked if they could supply him with a lead. He was faced with 1. What is a lead? 2. Does he need it all night? 3. What is wrong with the plug? 4. What is sleep apnoea? (Ok fair question). He then went down to reception and again asked for a lead. Eventually the staff member scratched out a piece of lead. Upstairs we plugged the device in and the lead exploded. My husband spent the night in our vehicle sitting up straight as he cannot dare fall asleep. He sat in the car wanting to give me a chance to sleep which of course was useless. We spent our expensive, "5*" breakaway with one sitting in the car and the other sitting up straight in the room. How does a South African hotel not supply standard ZA fittings? How does same hotel not have a lead available when a ZA citizen wants to use a ZA device in a ZA hotel? When we travel abroad we know to take the correct adapters. We did not expect to have to do the same for local travel. I demand a response and an explanation. Bonita Coetzer

• Classic Twin Room

5 stars high price , but surprisingly 3 stars small standard rooms. First arranged me to a smoking room with obvious smell. Cigarettes stains on carpet and smell all over, especially on towel. Upon my request they changed to other non smoking floor. The casino is big but shopping centre is small, can be finished in 10 mins. Nothing adjacent to this property. In booking.com it mentioned ZAR 6732 for 2 nights, all included. But when check out they charged 6870. They said booking.com's price was wrong. I should pay them and complain to Booking.com.

Connected with their own casino, shopping mall and conference centre, like a small city being isolated from outside with good security.

• Deluxe Twin Room

1:- No internet in bedroom, despite many telephone calls, never fixed. Staff & duty manager did not seem interested. 2:- Tried to telephone another bedroom, it took five phone calls to numerous staff to finally be put through! 3:- Bar area, really bad small

The location next to the emperors palace facilities

No complaints at all!

Excellent location backed up by superb staff and great facilities and breakfast buffett very nice, clean and comfortable accomodation. Highest compliments to Winnie, Ethan and Rex at the front desk.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Classic Twin Room

On floor 2 room 2009 the wifi hardly worked at all, not good for a business trip. I had to go into reception to work which was inconvenient. Check the wifi in your room before you agree to it if on business. Having previously staying in a four star in Cape Town, this hotel, whilst fine, clean and well located, was certainly not as good.

Lovely breakfast, staff helpful. Really handy for a selection of decent restaurants which can be billed to your room..

• Classic King Room

No separate shower Room a tad small. Pity the indoor heated pool is part of the fitness centre/ spa as it not part of the hotel rate

The table side food preparation in the restaurant. The fifth floor guest lounge with breakfast.

• Deluxe Twin Room

For a 5 star and for the price the room was equipped like a budget hotel. (No fruit or water. Coffee and water was supplied late that night. Staff (with exception of 1 porter and 1 waiter at breakfast) served you as if they did not want to be there. (Toilet roll holder empty, bath had long hair in from previous occupant despite being cleaned). I have stayed there before and enjoyed my stay hence re-booking but this will be my last. There are many better hotels.

Nice convenient location if in transit from airport. Choice of restaurants is great on Casino side with friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

• Classic Twin Room

Anything food related was a gross disappointment - from service to taste to value for money. We spent 2 nights there (therefore 1 complete day) and I spent most of that day on the loo caused by something that I ate at their breakfast. We ate all other meals at the casino being too afraid to eat anymore hotel food.

I liked the über clean facilities.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• Classic Twin Room

During my check in yesterday evening I was greeted by an unfriendly lady...who happened to be the Duty Manager / Supervisor/ Shift Manager. Firstly I asked for a complimentary upgrade like I had before in a jovial manner & got a very rude answer "you think you can get an upgrade anytime you luck? For your information I am not giving you" Secondly during all our communications she more demanding, so I reprimanded her by asking her to use the word, please. Her reply was "I don't use that word for your own information" and further accused me for been bitter because she had refused to upgrade me. Thirdly I went to ask for the Duty Manager & her reply in sarcastic manner & laughing was "my friend I am the manager & you can't do anything about it"

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Classic Twin Room

Renovations being done right next door requested another room as it was so loud no rest or tv during day too hard to hear. No problems very accommodating.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Classic Twin Room

I wish there was ‼️ But quite frankly there was nothing there I could say I did not like‼️

Everything was superb💥 All under one roof The facilities are excellent From Rex at reception to The Breakfast 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏 .. The Best

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

The fact that guests had to wait before getting seating for breakfast. Up to 20 min which is when I gave up. This is simply not acceptable for a Hotel of this magnitude and the price you pay per room.

• Classic Twin Room

Egentlig ingenting, men casino environment is not really for me.

It is top luxury. Beautiful foyer, rooms, a small park, and access to all you need

restaurant were selling me complimentary water in small bottles for R17.00 each

breakfast were excellent....

Everything was excellent.

Great service, superb room, fantastic attention to detail....

Quality of service Unstable WiFi Unfriendly managerial staffers at restaurant

• Deluxe Twin Room

Booking stated 2 double beds, we got 2 singles and an uncomfortable sleeper couch

• Deluxe Twin Room

They didnt clean the room on the second day properly. The carpets was not clean at all.

Cleanliness was superb.

Beds in room

• Classic Twin Room

My internet in the room was not working , waited for the whole nite for the Technitian who never turn up

• Classic Twin Room

Early check handling really bad

Early check in needed was handled in a very poor way, not proactive at all!

• Classic King Room

Rooms were a little small but very comfortable. Breakfast was okay, service a little slow.

• Classic Twin Room

They said they are full booked whilst you confirmed availability.

Hotel could not find my booking took them 4 hours and 10 phone calls

Having to leave!

It was great to be spoilt with excellent meals, petals and champagne in the room and to be able to just relax.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Classic Twin Room

Reception white girl very grumpy on checkout forgot her name . In this day and age its all about service.thats what we pay for.

Comfort and service.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Bad service , room dirty

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Room was nice but small

Everything was there need not go out

Shower

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

• Classic Twin Room

Weak Internet connection. TV connection was off for two days.

Friendly staff, good selection at breakfast.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Classic Twin Room

Everything was elegant. The service was loving cheerful and kind. Our room was cozy.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Classic Twin Room

Terrific location by casino complex and restaurants. Room was immaculate, comfortable and well decorated. Everything was perfect

• Reviewed: 23 April 2016

No indoor swimming pool other than the spa which you have to pay for.

Everything at one site. No need to travel outside if you don't won't too.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2016

Bathroom a little small and awkwardly laid-out, but certainly useable and a nice touch to include a bath and shower!

Excellent location 10min drive from OR Tambo Airport, free shuttle to and from OR Tambo Airport, clean and tidy rooms, amazingly helpful and friendly porters and waitstaff, great variety for breakfast

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

The gentleman who handled the initial booking was very aloof to the point of making one feel one is bothering him

The rooms division manager was very helpful

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

They did not have my booking. I booked with Agoda & Holiday .com After a long argument they game me a room . Excuse was they were fully booked out

• Reviewed: 16 March 2016

Had to leave so soon.

Beautiful suite, one of the nicest bathrooms and Molten Brown toiletries I've ever used. Stayed up late just to use the tub. Even had a wc that washed and dried everything!

• Reviewed: 5 March 2016

The check in staff aren't friendly at all. It took 15 minutes to check in and they make no effort to make it an easy experience. Staff are too busy talking to each other and ignoring all the customers... Very usual for a 5 star hotel and a disappointing experience.

Very nice room. Concierge staff are very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2016

Telephone did not work in the room so we were unable to get room service. We went down to reception and the person insisted that the phone was working, a cleaner on the floor showed us that it wasn't. Nobody came to repair it or offer us another room. Fortunately we were only staying one night as we were having dinner with a friend stopping over from the UK.

Beautiful Hotel with friendly staff, perfect location for the Airport.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

Poor sound insulation. Can often hear neighbours talking and doors banging.

Close proximity to airport, free shuttle, beautiful restaurant setting, generous daily breakfast with healthy choices, and lots of activities nearby to keep one busy (ie. spa, pool, casino, theatre, cinemas, shopping and restaurants). Premise is clean, tidy and feel safe at night.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2016

The main dining room was totally overpriced and for this reason we left even though we had planned to eat there. Definitely not catering for the South African visitor with such exorbitant prices. There was no alternative to eating there except in the food hall in the casino.

The room was adequate, the beds comfortable and the bathroom acceptable but for the price the shower should have been separate and not over the bath.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2016

the internet in the rooms is not the greatest, housekeeping not that trust wealthy make sure to put valuables in safe overall love the place

Enjoyed everything about our stay, staff really friendly and they try to accommodate, the restaurant manager are very helpful.. we will definitely be staying here again. Love that its super close to the air port and free shuttle

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

Terrible service from check-in, checked in to a dirty room. I asked when booking room that there was twin beds as 2 ladies were travelling they gave us a double bed. No menus to order room service, eventually received a menu after 45mins of waiting. Would not recommend this hotel

Breakfast was ok

• Reviewed: 13 January 2016

The reception team was a bit short of our expectations sometimes. They need to smile more too

I loved everything, the Garden of Lights was awesome! The view from our room was epic! The service 2nd to none. The playground was equally fantastic. It was truly a 5* experience for us

• Reviewed: 13 January 2016

The classic twin room was incredible. I love the fact that they paid attention to detail, the towels were clean and most importantly the sheets. Not forgetting the lovely setting they prepared for us in the room, nice rose petals on the bed and chocolates . It was indeed a great stay. Oh my wait! The breakfast was devine! We loved everything...

• Reviewed: 12 January 2016

I had a problem the 1st day I went to d oreale grande whereby there was no cold water in both the basin in the bathroom as well as the shower. In which case there was no shower, there was just a tub with a hand shower. I moved from Mondior with hopes that d oreale grande was going to be much better because I read that Mondior was 4* and David Oreale was 5* I gave it a try with hopes that it would be a memorable experience. It was okay but Mondior surprisingly seemed better and I called maintenance to sort out the "no cold water" issue. I had to call maintenance 3 times as they weren't coming and I needed to start my day with a shower and couldn't do so because of no cold water so the water was boiling hot. When the 2 maintenance guys did come they didn't look quite clued up as to what was wrong and just stayed there looking at each other and opening both taps and just letting it run. After 10mins or so they called me to say that it has been sorted out and showed it to me... hot and cold. It was working and I was happy with it. My wife went to shower 1st and half way through she screamed to me saying that it is happening again but I brushed her off saying she's doing something wrong. She finished her shower as we were already late for our lunch reservation and I went it after her. Upon being squashed in the tub of a shower I started with my shower only to realise that my wife was indeed right and there was only boiling hot water in which case I could not do anything but burn and my skin with the boiling hot water and clean myself up because I knew that I had a lunch reservation and if I called reception to get me maintenance,they would take long and slow me down more than they already have. I got out the shower and called reception and explained what had happen again and they said they would send someone up to my room.

The hotel was really awesome. I especially liked the comfort and mini bar already filled up

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

One of the staff in the restaurant was a little rude and never smiled, just served us as if she didn't like what she was doing. The reception was also out of wi-fi printing paper.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

Booking wasn't confirmed when we got there. Asked for a smoking room online was given a non smoking no information booklet in room so had no idea when breakfast was or if it was included didn't access wifi because the password wasn't provided shouldn't have to ask for that! Had to rinse someone else's hair out of the bath tub disgusting!only one gown provided. House keeping insisted we open the door to give us chocolates and water instead of coming back later like by I asked! No price list for the mini bar provided. Broken plug and wires sticking out of the wall where a light was supposed to be I think? I know I paid a discounted rate however I never expected all this from a 5 star.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2016

Lift access security by room access card did not work in the lift, anyone could enter the rooms corridors. How is this possible?! Looks very nice during the night, but daylight reveals a severe shortcoming of maintenance.

Super bed, slept like babies! Very complete breakfast with fabulous service.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2016

Requested an early check in but had to wait until 16.30 for the room to be ready. Trainee staff at reception. Garden of lights switched off. so darkness to bring in the New Year

Garden of Lights, Breakfast, pool area.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

A little bug was found on the bed but we open our windows for the whole day so might be from there.

Great sevice, we can feel their hospitality from the moment we entered the main door. Love the art layout and also huge room size. Will definitely return. Love the breakfast.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2016

unfriendly staff not enough beds at pool. room cards not working house keeping ladies not helpful restaurant manager unfriendly/rude.no control who is a guest and not due to free access for public festival lights.treatment of guest poor .overall nt 5 star standard service from staff

breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 29 December 2015

The swimming pool was very dirty and the pool staff sleeping while children were playing around

Situated 15 min away from the airport We can let the car in the car park of the hotel

• Reviewed: 25 December 2015

Everything was just amazing, from the front desk lady who checked me in to the excellent user friendly facilities. Your fresh food was divine. I'm sold

• Reviewed: 22 December 2015

Lifts not working on arrival (staff took a while to resolve problem), bed made up as king instead of twin beds as requested, telephone not operational so unable to phone reception (staff discovered that the cord connection did not match the socket fitting) - so we lost over an hour on an overnight stay while these issues were sorted out. More surprises - neither of the interleading doors between our room and the neighbours room locked (no keyhole, no sliding locks, nothing) which concerned both us and our Chinese neighbours !

Friendly, willing and helpful staff, beautifully decorated rooms, dinner at Aurelia's excellent as was the restaurant staff.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2015

Nothing! !!!

I have always loved D'oreal Grande and my return visit did not disappoint me. Thanks to the hotel for an upgrade to classic VIP rooms with access to the Club Lounge on the 5 th floor. A hotel I always recommend.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2015

First the driver Piwe who took us to the airport was loud, rude and quarrelsome. He even told us that it is a favor to drop us outside either Terminal A or B - Not a 5* behavior at all. Next, most check in/ reception staff are indifferent, don't smile at all and keep going to the manager's office in the back to verify even little details - please empower them and tell them smile more. Lastly, the guards in the premises were often rude to guests. I wouldn't recommend this establishment to my friends and family as a 5* after this experience.

I loved the location and facilities. The rooms are comfortable and clean. However, all guests should be given information at check in like the hotel room location, lifts direction, room bar, available or possible room upgrades, dining options,events on premise at time of check in, etc. It was our first time in your hotel and had to keep discovering which was uncomfortable and confusing or better yet, have complete information kits in the rooms.Breakfast selection was fine and Susan or was it Sharon is a fantastic hostess. She always served with a smile and communicated very well with ALL guests.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2015

Guard at parking lot was really unfriendly and extremely unwelcoming. Milk was off during breakfast. Lots of people but only one chef during breakfast meant a long wait. I had to wait about 30 minutes at check out for them to sort out my bill. No undercover parking.

Great hotel and facilities. Very nice pool

• Reviewed: 22 August 2015

When checking out my credit card was processed without me sseing the bill . On receipt of the bill I noticed that I had been overcharged . I brought this to the person who had handled my payment and showed him confirmation of my quoted rate. After a lengthy delay ( 15min ) he returned and said a credit would be passed on my card within 7-10 working days. If i had been presented with my bill before processing the card this would have been avoided. I now have to check my card statement to see if the credit is passed

• Reviewed: 7 July 2015

We wanted tea in the afternoon. We never got it, despite two or three requests for service. Ended up going elsewhere.

Almost everything - staff very friendly and mostly helpful

• Reviewed: 6 June 2015

The dining room and fourth floor where being refurbished so noise factor and nuisance of no dining. Club room was extremely overheated and unpleasant. Staff in club room excellent

• Reviewed: 15 March 2015

Service was terrible. Restaurants had lines running 20m out of the door and would not take bookings. 40 minutes to wait for cocktails and then had been forgotten entirely. When we waited another 20 minutes, the cocktails were very poor quality. A waste of money going somewhere like that when you can only buy a hot dog and a beer for dinner.

Check in and Check Out efficiency and friendliness.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2015

For a five-star hotel, better attention to detail was expected. Bedding had holes in it, carpet was dirty, air conditioning wasn't working, two of the lights weren't working, check in was slow and unfriendly. TV cabinet had one broken door. The room was not furbished with the full list of amenities advertised. A five star hotel should not give customers instant coffee. Generally the hotel had no atmosphere - it didn't feel like a five-star establishment at all.

Location is central, room service was excellent, restaurant was top notch!

• Reviewed: 21 February 2015

had an overnight stay and enjoyed the dining room food and service .we used the courtesy bus and had no trouble in walking and locating its pickup point.the room was well appointed , clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 1 February 2015

We decided to end our trip to South Africa in this luxury hotel, which was one of our best nights on SA! Great location with many many things to do (Casino, restaurants...) Beautiful bedroom, delicious breakfast! Definitely recommend it.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2015

We had to ask 5 times for housekeeping to make up the sofa bed for our child, on both our stays at this hotel. If you need to get your young child to bed by a certain time, you'll need plenty patience.

Great pool, spa, food, beds & front desk.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2015

We had just a few hours in Jo'burg and were planning to at least visit the Apartheid Museum but we couldn't because the check-in process took too long. We arrived at the front desk about 14:30 and were told that our room was not ready, but it would be cleaned up promptly. After a lot of discussion with the attendant and the front desk manager, we were able to get another room at 15:50, making it too late to go anywhere. Because of this mess we couldn't go anywhere and had to stay in the hotel/casino complex until our departure in the next morning. Another point is that it was very hard to communicate with the front desk attendant because he had a very different accent and didn't make any effort to speak clearly and slowly to us. Last but not least the wifi was absolutely terrible.

If you plan to stay just a few hours between flights like we did, the location right next to the airport with free shuttle service is going to fulfill your needs. Breakfast has a lot of options (including some weird ones) and the restaurants inside the casino (part of the complex) are not fancy but you won't be hungry.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2015

Poor wifi reception in room.

Overnight stop close to airport with good transfer facility offered. Large complex but quiet rooms. Facilities were not used due to short time here, but looked very good if you are staying longer. Good choice of food options, the breakfast is terrific and offers a large choice.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2015

We were upgraded to the 5th floor where we had use of the club lounge. In there we could have complimentary drinks, food etc. We ate breakfast there avoiding the busy weekend dining room. Charming staff served us.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2015

Good location with lovely service Staff are friendly and helpful All round good place to stay Good choice of restaurants and entertainment in the complex

• Reviewed: 12 January 2015

breakfast staff were under pressure during peak service. Toast had to be ordered but this was not clear. some items ran out and were not replenished e.g scrabble eggs.

The location, shuttle service, room comfort. breakfast I ordered an omlette from the chef it was perfect and very tastey.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2015

Decor seemed a bit over-the-top to me, but that is a matter of personal choice and not a real complaint.

Lovely hotel with excellent facilities. Located near the airport and connected to a Las Vegas-like complex of a casino and restaurants. Gorgeous pool, comfortable room, friendly staff. Excellent spa on-site. Free and timely shuttle to the airport. Good value for the price of the room.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

Loved the atmosphere and friendly staff. Always enjoy my stay.

There are also 18 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperors Palace traveller photo gallery