Reviews of Parade Hotel 2 stars

191 OR Tambo Parade, 4056 Durban, South Africa

#24 of 54 hotels in Durban

6.1

Not too bad, I like the location and nearby restaurants and beaches.

A good quality bed to rest on after a long tiresome day.

The bed was bad, like sponge it drops in the middle when sleeping. Food was moderate to low quality, you'll never get croissants at that hotel. We were told we can't have omelette. Sad.

My stay was very pleasant ,just the breakfast was not great.

The breakfast was not so good ,The bacon looked like it was from the previous day.I really didn't enjoy their gravy.Let's just say the hotel can do better and maybe learn a thing or too from the Balmoral breakfast.

I really liked the way the rooms were like new everyday.The cleaning staff are doing an excellent job and their are so friendly.

was sufficient for one night

Breakfast and pillows need work

The hotel has a beautiful appearance. Staff could be a little more friendly as they couldnt find my booking. Very stingy on the breakfast.

The hotel rooms are very clean.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

There was a price difference between what I reserved on Booking.com what I ultimately paid. The front line staff didn't seem too eager to listen. The hotel does not have secure or underground parking.

The hotel rooms are very clean. The bathrooms are tidy and nicely done. It looks like the hotel is undergoing transition as there was furniture outside on the corridor of my room. The room was ocean facing so that added to the ambience. The breakfast was fair for the amount paid for the rooms.

They do not allow late check out.

They do not allow late check out. Tired legs of Comrades required rest. My flight was after 10 hrs.and wish that they allow late check out as and when necessary.

Staying at Parade Hotel

The cleanliness and the lovely clean smell welcomes your at the reception.The view of the ocean are the best watching the sunrise in the morning and the board line up to pull into the port ( harbor). The walk from the Hotel to UShaka marine is an extra enjoyment. I just loved everything about the Hotel I have posted on my FB to my family and friends to book at this Hotel whenever they want to go to Durban. I have booked my sister and brother in law in for the Comrades Marathon 2018

I must say the staff makes a Hotel this one is a great reflection-of the staff . The ladies in the diner serving breakfast are absolutely wonderful always greets with a smile.

the location of the hotel and it's affordable prices

bathroom is very very very small if they could just upgrade also the tv view quality was not good at all and other chanels couldn't watch at all because they were not set properly

the location of the hotel and it's affordable prices

was good except for the breakfast
    • Twin Room with Sea View

the breakfast range was terrible. could improve vastly on this e.g. muesli and yogurt for the health conscious, more meat variety for people who don't eat pork (not necessarily halaal) flapjacks or pancakes would be welcome. hot milk as the coffee is so not nice when cold

the friendly staff

My stay was excellent. Next visit to Durban I will choose Parade. I will also recommend it to any on
    • Family Room

That they don't have safe parking on their premises

The reception was welcoming. Breakfast value for money. One had a choice of food. Tasty juice and hot coffee. The rooms are cleaned each day which is a good practice.the cleaners are friendly and willing to help at all times. Parade is a value for money

Not very enjoyable.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Bad smell - smells like Jeyes Fluid. It’s quite overbearing. Cleaning staff make A LOT of noise very early in the morning, so we could not sleep late even though we were on holiday, so we were tired throughout our stay. Overall a lot of noise from staff as well as other guests.

Security guard was great. Friendly and helpful. Bar staff were fantastic (both bartenders).

worth the money i paid
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The television remote wasn't working which was an irritation on the times I actually watched tv and had to figure out how to manually control the tv. only got the hang of it two days later. Other than that the place was value for money

I enjoyed my stay, the staff was too friendly and warm. I don't mind coming back again.

There was no microwave and you have to go to the reception to warm your food, which is not nice. The shower did not have a soap stand, the shower door was broken and they didn't change my linen on Wednesday morning.

The room was ok with a beautiful sea view as requested.

Friendly staff, clean and neat bathroom, great views of the...
    • Family Room

Disliked the breakfast & refreshments(type of juice served - too diluted), the fact that lunch nor dinner is not available/not served. Your t.v bouquet did not have even 1 news channel (eNCA, BBC, CNN, etc) which was quite disappointing, especially for my dad who never misses his morning and evening news.

Friendly staff, clean and neat bathroom, great views of the ocean from our room which was slighty sea-facing. Pretty much liked our family room🙂

The stay was awesome and we are definitely coming back smetime soon. so loved the place.

I made my booking online, but before that I went at the Hotel to confirm prices (Just in case there were alternatives), the staff were not patient on delivering the information, i dont know if they were having a bad day, or I was not looking like a traveler due to my young appearance. if this review get to the staff, let them be reminded that the sealing must be well presented even with walk in esquires, smile and kindness is the key in hospitality business ( I have been working in couple places under Hospitality). Thank You.

The place is 100%, was here for my 1st Anniversary, memories were made, the location is awesome, see view. even during breakfast near the window, such a peace of mind and a great way to start your day. The breakfast is awesome no room for improvement. cleaning staff is friendly, Receptionist is awesome, sadly i didnt get their names but the 2 ladies who helped me on our second day when we had to move to the next room due to multiply booking we kind and gave us a chance to see the room not just order us to move.

Irequest that may they can organise supper for the safety.

their shower is too small it is not easy to get inside. and they should put micro oven just to warm some small food since they don't save supper/dinner.

breakfast was excellent

Lovely hotel near the beach

Can get a bit loud, unfortunately many of the guest are not considerate of others.

This property offers good value for money, considering the comfort, location, breakfast and cleanliness of the rooms. I will come again!

Close to the beach front and super friendly staff.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The hotel doesn’t have its own parking - you’ll have to park 350m away at the Shoprite parking. (Although only costed R18 overnight)

Close to the beach front and super friendly staff. Good value for money.

The rooms were clean and the stuff was friendly
    • Family Room

There's no secured parking our car was broke into twice during our stay and in both cases they stole batteries..we never had peaceful nights

The rooms were clean and the stuff was friendly

Breakfast is really great, staff really helpful.
    • Family Room

The lifts are slow and quite dated and hence not working smoothly. We ended up taking the stairs for our stay.

Breakfast is really great, staff really helpful. Family room set up worked out better for us as a family of 4.

Most enjoyable holiday ever, good breakfast, cleanliness and friendly staff
    • Twin Room with Sea View

People promoting their holiday packages, very irritating.

Safe to walk on the beaches with the police visibility Local transport available nearby Shops are near to find Friendly people Most popular places are just a walk away(e.g. Moses Mabida, uShaka Marine, Casino etc.)

Beach view
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Checking in was a disaster. Was told they don't have any room even though we booked 3 months in advance. Had to wait quite a few minutes for things to get sorted out, no sense of urgency. The dry wall, you could hear every single thing around you.

Beach view

Exceeded our expectations
    • Family Room

Fantastic views. Spacious room with comfortable beds and excellent Wi-Fi connection. Good breakfast. Friendly staff. So much better than what we expected.

Excellent.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

My light at 302 was not working but side lamp helped us and shower did not have hot water at night. i will recommend at least 1iron per each room even though it was accessible on request at the reception

The reception was welcoming and very friendly and were so helpful. wow the breakfast was delicious for that price, cleanliness was amazing .Will visit the place again definitely i really enjoy my stay there. the ocean view was so refreshing.

good
    • Twin Room with Sea View

When we walked into the dining room for breakfast (8h50)most of the tables were full of used cutlery and crocary.We had to ask for everything we needed.Did not see anyone clearing the tables and replacing what was necessary.

Horrible last time at that place
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The shower facilities were horrible, people were having sex on the balcony and making noises which is very disgusting and quiete immoral

The beds were good and air conditioning

We came over for one night, it was comfortable, I wished there was more variety for breakfast, but
    • Family Room

I think they forgot to install the door in the shower we were bathing without the shower glass door, this water was pouring outside the shower to the toilet seats and the floor. Maybe renovate the lift, it's scary a bit. I thought it was stuck for a moment but it was not.

The family room we were in was nice and big, looked recently renovated. It was comfortable and had ocean view. They kept.Our language while waiting to check in and even after check out waiting for our flight departure time which was nice as we could enjoy Durban without worrying about our luggage

Hotel great, environment terrible
    • Family Room

Security guys not friendly. Environment super dodgy - did not feel safe walking around. Drug dealers, drunk people at benches below and hookers in street. Beaches are filthy. Will never go to Durban again, as the beaches are full of oil and dirty. Police does nothing to make it safe and clean up streets. Such a pity as Durban used to have the best beaches. I felt really dirty swimming in the sea.

The hotel is great.

staff professional not too friendly thou
    • Twin Room with Sea View

same breakfast everyday also requested to stay next to relatives request was never granted we used same luggages was very inconviniencing for us booking was for twin beeds received one double bed

staff professional not too friendly thou room very clean

Ive been to Parade Hotel now 4 times, this has been by far the worse. Breakfast was horrible!
    • Family Room

The breakfast. Staff not friendly at all. We couldnt go back for seconds. The only reason we wanted seconds was because the first time we went we literally got a teaspoon of baked beans and 1 piece of bacon. I also heard a very racial comment. They thought i didnt understand.

The friendly service from.the secruity, front desk and cleaning staff

The location was perfect for my next stop which was going on...

The lift is old and needs to be attended to. The other guests were too loud in the night.

The location was perfect for my next stop which was going on the MSC cruise the following morning.

The kitchen staff took extra care of us seeing that we...

Everything was perfect. No complains

The kitchen staff took extra care of us seeing that we requested halaal breakfast. I will definitely go back to parade hotel when i visit durban.

Parade is good in everything and affordable
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The gust next to my room were very noisy I did not like that they must be informed to respect other gust

Parade is good in everything stuff assist me in finding me a taxi to the harbour she was friendly

A little gem for the less fussy traveler.
    • Family Room

Aircon wasn't working optimally and no room service or restaurant at night. Have to order food in or go out fo3 dinner.

Comfortable and good value for money if you are okay with basic, but clean facilities.

the room is so small for 4 sharing
    • Family Room

when we did bookings they said parking is available, but when we got there they told us to park on the street for the whole nights or go to private parking and pay.

Breakfast was great

Very warm and comfortable excellent stay. Thanks
    • Family Room

The family rooms are little bit small for groups.

The welcoming of staff, and the advise they gave me for the area. The cleaning of rooms on a daily basis. The breakfast was on point.

it was good.

the receptionist were not friendly and they were rude and impatient. we were treated badly on our arrival we did not feel welcomed at the reception.

staff in the restaurant are friendly and excellent customer service. security guard who assisted us when we were leaving is very good with people and friendly.

The location was convenient.
    • Family Room

The ventilation on the bathrooms was not good. The smell from the toilets comes back to the room

The location was convenient. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was amazing

Great customer service, all promises met, but facility overall is dull & underwhelming
    • Family Room

There was nothing that was promised that was not delivered and the service was great. It is just that the facility overall is a bit underwhelming and bleak. The feel lacks inspiration. There could be more done to add flair and fresh facilities on site. While the rooms are cleaned well and the basics are all functional, there is a disconnect between some newer items of equipment and decor and the rather dull and narrow corridors of the hotel for instance. Also, I found a patron (or visitor) openly drinking alcohol and drunk in the lift which was quite disturbing.

The great spirit of service from the staff. Always helped with a smile. And went out of way to prepare room for me in spite of an earlier check in.

All in all,i enjoyed my stay
    • Family Room

The guy we found at the reception on the 16th,around 6:30am was not nice to us.He's rude.One of the bed was broken,i reported it vut it was not fixed

The room was beautiful and relaxing

Excellent location
    • Family Room

The hotel’s architectural design is very beautiful but it’s not very well maintained. Bedding needs attention especially new quilts are needed.

Parade hotel Durban is on an excellent location. It saved me a lot of transportation cost. The beach view from my room was amazing(I did ask for a beach view room on arrival) my room size was very big but I’m not sure if all rooms were as big as mine. I got to enjoy the busy beach feeling. Golden mile was right in front of the hotel. There were a lot of food options. I bought souvenirs at very good price from the stalls on the roads. Breakfast at Parade hotel was perfect.

Seven
    • Twin Room with Sea View

My room shower was leaking through to my room the shower tube is so big that when u shower de water extends to the toilet sit and goes to the main room I even used extra towels to block water to avoid sleepag3

Beach front view was amazing I was enjoying to view the sea from my room ,the sea breeze wheezing through my window was so refreshing and relaxing , it was wonderful!

Thank you so much we have enjoyed our stayed there!

The small mat/carpet next to the bed could do. Just make sure the fruit platter is covered with something during breakfast.

The staff very friendly and the room was well prepared. Walking distance to the beach was a bonus! Good value for money. I will definitely come back.

Peaceful
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The room we were given was clean but smelling tobacco. The bed was not a double bed, 2 twin beds, one higher than the other. One side of the shower door not closing at all. Couldnt transfer to another room because the place was fully booked.

The place was clean.

Great Place to Stay in Durban.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Only One Elevator and it was Small. Older hotel, but clean and renovated.

Great Location with Excellent Views of the Beach! There were a lot of choices for the included breakfast. Great Value for the Price Paid...

Atleast if i had a discount torwads the situation I came across
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Find the bed with bugs It's really cut my mood n didn't attend by the manager cos staff came to see n find one alive on the curtain,they said the will show the manager of which i never had a feedback about it cos it really sucks my blood.when I went to report,they ask what racist iam cos i could hear,so they didn't take serious cos iam African

Enjoyed the breakfast

Old unmaintained building with rude staff
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Old, unmaintained building in an erea full of beggers. No secure parking or safe to walk around outside at night. Not as advertized on the website but worst is when the kook scolded me for entering the breakfast room...even after breakfast was suppose to start at 7am. I stayed 2 nights and both mornings breakfast was late making me late for morning meetings. Will not stay here again.

The property was in a good location and the room was very...
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The breakfast was similar to dorm food and didn’t cater for vegetarians. The receptionist checking us in was having a conversation with someone waiting for the lift and therefore ignoring us mostly which was frustrating.

The property was in a good location and the room was very clean

My stay was ok thou it was messed up during check in.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The guy who was at reception on our check in was very rude, discriminating us because we didnt speak nor understand Zulu. as it was my second visit at Parade i wont say all staff are rude because others offered us the best service in the two occasions we have stayed there,\.

the bed was comfortable. Great breakfast.

Picking accommodation from the internet can be deceiving. Pay for what you see if you can.
    • Family Room

The hotel did not meet our expectations in terms of cleanliness and receptionist's unwelcoming face. There was a bad smell as we were trying to check in at the reception, when we got to the 1st floor next to our room 110, there were beds leaning against the walls in the corridor, it looked creepy and scary with poor lighting. I decided to book my family at Protea Hotel instead of feeling unsafe and misserable. At the end I lost money for making wrong choices.

location is OK, BUT there is a huge room of improvement.

Horrible stay
    • Family Room

The water pressure of the toilet in room 410 was very low. We couldn't flush the waste.It was very bad because the smell coming from bathroom was unpleasant. The water pressure of the show was low as well. We reported all these matters so many times and we were not helped. The ladies at the reception had bad attitude and were not willing to assist us when we asked for a manager. We were told that the manager would help us the next day but that never happened. The room was very small and dusty. It was a struggle to open the wardrobe doors, we had to move the bed to open the doors. To summarize, so many things went very wrong and the service was very poor.

Perfect location. Close to the beach.

awesome
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The bar tender refused to borrow me a jar so that I can put water in the mini fridge, I'm diabetic and need to be drinking water at night this really put me off

Location and cleanliness of the room

Comfortable beds and great, central location (amazing view),...

Reception staff were not very friendly, could maybe use some training

Comfortable beds and great, central location (amazing view), good breakfast, air-conditioning

rooms were extremely comfortable, enjoyed breakfast,...
    • Family Room

The hotel needs to work on the ablution system (toilet wasn't flushing well)

rooms were extremely comfortable, enjoyed breakfast, it's central to everything. would recommend it to other people and will definitely come back

never again

Very noisy occupants disinterested desk staff outstanding watchman very helpful booking form said there was watching 24hrs of vehicle parked outside as there was no off street parking. this facility was not available they said booking.com got it wrong

probably only the location and the bathroom was fine.

The fact that we were rushed out our room the next morning,...
    • Family Room

The fact that we were rushed out our room the next morning, literally started knocking on the door at 09h15 and again at 09h30 and again at 09h45 when we were leaving the room.

I had a exellent stay i will definately come back
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The Wi-Fi is very poor from the hotel room also the hotel could help with making dinner not the guest have to eat outside its very expensive

The view of the sea from the hotel window also the staff was helpful, I did enjoy my stay

Short and pleasant stay
    • Family Room

Shower door had a panel missing. But overall bathroom was clean

Family rooms are divided. With tvs' in both rooms. Rooms are spacious. Breakfast was well prepared and sufficient variety

it was alright

the fact that you call your breakfast a buffet yet we are limited on the quantity of food. might aswell just dish up and serve the diners. you cant tell me its a buffet then come around and tell me i can have one egg when i ask for two. so no, dont call it a buffet

the Cleanliness of the place. plus the cleaning ladies were much nicer and approachable

Not so great

Unfriendly staff,except breakfast staff where great. Reception staff not so nice,no smilling and not very welcoming.the other big issue was parking,they advertise that there is security quard for parking but there was none. When I inquired at reception I was told there isnt and if anyone wants to take my car, there is nothing they can do. At 11:00 at night im told I can go park my car at shoprite in next block.so I now have to decide my car vs my life. I had no sleep that night because I had to worry about my car parked outside the hotel.for me it was a bad experience.

Good value

Aircon not working, TV very limitrd channels with some very hazy, tv remote not working, half our shower door was missing, main curtains lovely, but the other curtains was ribbed and very dirty

Close to attractions, walking distance to most restaurants and city centre. Very nice breakfast, very comfortable beds, mini fridge, a desk and seating for 2 in the room, very beautiful reception area.

Dissappointed
    • Family Room

The furniture and the rickety lift. No secure parking. There was a power failure and the breakfast was a shambles. There was no back up plan. Staff were at the back and the hall was deserted. No labels on the breakfast dishes and all races are NOT catered for. No Kosher dishes. I and my family were utterly dissapointed and had buttet bread as the urn was empty and no cups and sugar. A very bad experience as this hotel has slipped badly.

The situation

Great view and good value for money

There was a lot of noise from nearby guests who were rowdy in early hours of the morning. Otherwise a decent stay.

The stay was comfortable and the view was excellent.

Had fun wish to visit again. Great place indeed.
    • Family Room

Improve on people with younger kids especially during breakfasts running up and down.

Everything was great. Rooms good and comfortable beds.great family getaway friendly staff.

Wonderful

All was mighty fine.

We missed breakfast which was sad, due to misunderstanding about the breakfast times when we checked in. But they were very accommodating and offered us what they had left after the morning run. Great.

Perfect and enjoyable

Security guards not too understanding and very rude.

Phindie the receptionist; what a warm and professional lady. Cleaners also are hard workers and they really perform their duties.

Enjoyed to the fullest

Mini bar fridge was not working properly Nd one lighy not working properly The elevetor is too old not safe

The beach view Bed comfort Friendly stuff nd cleaners

Exceptionally peaceful loved the hotel, recommended to friends

Nice, near, good food,they can add a seafood option especially when a client has sent through a request like myself, but the Greg muffins made up for it though

Great value for money and convinient location

No Airconditioner in the room and the fan made a lot of noise

Great service from Phindile at reception and Miroshe the Indian lady at breakfast who went the extra mile in making my husband and I feel comfortable

good
    • Family Room

Parking area....not comfortable with the car parked outside and it is far nxt to shoprite.

i liked everything except the fact there was no parking area.

We were amazed at the variety of things to do for people of any age within walking distance.

There is some parking around the hotel, but the staff recommended using a guarded parking garage about 2 blocks away. Rates are reasonable, but you want to avoid walking into the neighborhood just past the garage, as it is reputed to be quite dangerous.

Loved the location. Ask for a seaside view; the view the other direction is not too attractive.

Disgusting, should not be called a hotel
    • Family Room

Clean room, working facilities Breakfast shocking

Rooms not clean, mound on bath tiles. Breakfast was terrible. No bowls for cereal, bacon burnt Room was cleaned during our stay Bath not cleaned, dustbin not emptied. Shower was either hot or cold , no setting for in between temperature Toilet leaked. Glass that my 4 year old was drinking juice from broke in her mouth No secure parking for car Would not recommend this “hotel” to anyone

It was enjoyable

No phones in the room to contact reception so either use stairs or the unreliable lift. The bed was no good very old and uncomfortable

Breakfast is sufficient just at times queues become long

Disaster
    • Family Room

The light in the bathroom was put of order the air con in the main room and light was not working it was extremely hot and we were very irritated

The view was perfect

it was superb
    • Twin Room with Sea View

There is no private parking at the property. You have to drive to the nearby areas to look for it.

The staff was friendly and the beds were very comfortable giving good value for money.

could have been better
    • Family Room

NO PARKING AT ALL - unsafe no phone in the room no sound on the tv shower door broken lift feels like its gonna break, SCARY my room 509 - the stair case next to the window, so i cudnt leave the windows open, and i didnt like the side view

i liked the Fridge in the room

Browse Parade Hotel traveller photo gallery