Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton 4 stars

Maude Street, Sandton, Sandton, 2196 Johannesburg, South Africa

#40 of 90 hotels in Johannesburg

Since 1981 this has been my hotel of choice in Sandton. I still see no reason to change my opinion.
    • Standard King Room

Car parking is no longer free since redevelopment of adjoining site.

The Bull Run restaurant is THE steak restaurant to go to in Sandton. We have been coming to this hotel since 1981 when it had a thatched roof and was in the middle of nowhere. There are very many swish modern hotels now in Sandton but this is a friendly hotel on a human scale and we will continue to support it.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Poor hotel facilities, the feeling of back to 70s
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

I stayed at the suite, the room was extremely old and small. It doesn't reflect the suite quality and decor. It is quite embrassment to call it a suite. On top, the gym was under maintenance and we need to walk out to use the gym not belonging to the hotel. It is confusing how to go there and you don't feel safe.

Location is not bad, the bull restaurant is very nice. Seafood is terrible, but the steak is good.

Too noisy, construction all around.
    • Standard King Room

In the midst of a big construction site. Noise started at 7am. We were 'upgraded' to a room but the room we got was in the annex, much closer to the construction and a long walk from the front desk. FYI, book a car service when arriving in Johannesburg. Otherwise, the very first thing you will encounter is hustlers trying to get you to take their cabs.

. Staff was EXCELLENT and they were very helpful. Our car service failed to pick us up and the hotel staff went out of their way to get us a car and follow up to be sure we were picked up.

Bed was comfy.
    • Standard King Room

The hike to the room every day. Water was never in my room, had to call every day. Gym not well ventilated.

Bed was comfy. Breakfast was great. Staff were friendly.

A splurge for convenience.
    • Suite

I needed to be able to rely on the wifi, but it wasn't good enough for a phone call. The place is a celebration of colonialism, which is pretty awkward. They gave me a room as far as possible from the entrance, even though there were plenty of available rooms closer in.

The breakfast buffet is huge and good quality. The courtyards are quite pleasant. The location was very convenient. My room was spacious.

An oasis in a very accessible location.
    • Standard King Room

Love the location (less than 20 minutes by Gautrain from the airport) and with convenience of a free shuttle, which we used this time, but usually walk. And despite being in the middle of bustling Sandton and its malls, once you are in the hotel, it is another world amid the garden that harkens to a pre-urbanized time.

We'd go back but would be better informed
    • Standard King Room

Large desk in room took up a lot of space. Room on ground floor with sliding door opening directly onto footpath meaning we could not have the door or curtains open from a privacy perspective.

Great position. Good staff. Room had all that was needed

Nice garden very beautiful

A bit run down

Nice garden very beautiful Possibility to have breakfast outside Nice location easy in sqndron but quiet Old style hotel where you can open windows Comfortable bed

Good location but there are better choices nearby
    • Standard King Room

Surrounded by a building site that was still making grinding noises until 10pm at night. The layout of the hotel is 'straggly' and decor etc. is stuck in the 80s. Fine if you want a retro experience.

Location for Sandton is great.

Average
    • Standard King Room

Hotel starts to be bit old and you can see that. Rooms were clean, but there were some ants walking around. Pool area is very poor. Lot of trees around the pool, which means pool is always full of leaves and other dirt. Didn't feel like going to swim. Also the breakfast didn't quite deliver. Many items which requires cooling were in warm and looked like they have been there for hours. Also the only bar you have in the hotel is so full of cigarette smoke that the only place is to sit outside. Funny thing is that there were "no smoking" signs outside, but not inside.

Location of the hotel was very good. Short distance to Sandton mall where you have good restaurant and shops. There is alsofree shuttle every 30min to mall if you don't feel like walking. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The Bullrun restaurant in the hotel was also very good and reasonably prices.

Very average unfortunately.
    • Standard King Room

At check in, service was terrible. I had no idea where room was or how to get there. no one to show me. I had a waiter chase me around the hotel to pay for a drink i had at the bar. i signed to my room but apparently that was not ok.

Pretty good
    • Standard King Room

Booked into wrong room, causing endless problems. Struggled to order wine whilst staff were watching soccer. Staff mislaid my drivers license but found it the next day.

Pleasant staff.

Best value for money, in Sandton, they have a single stay rate on Booking.com

The Carpets looked old Some Rooms are extremely far from the reception

Best value for money, in pricey Sandton neighborhood. The every half hour shuttle to Mandela Square or Sandton City Mall is a plus.

It was okay
    • Standard King Room

We ordered room service and it never arrived. We mentioned it during checking out and was told that we would receive a call from the manager, however that did not happen either.

Clean. Tidy. Comfortable. Friendly and well trained staff at reception.

I liked the staffs hospitality and i will be going back to...
    • Standard King Room

I liked the staffs hospitality and i will be going back to Balalaika whenever in South Africa.....Thandeka (the receptionist) was really helpful and they surprised me with a bottle of wine on my birthday

A bit dusty , noisy durning the day , building goung on ,
    • Standard King Room

1 Room not cleaned properly when we booked in 1415 hrs used soap in shower ?? Sweet paper on floor 2Room not made up or cleaned when we returned 1530 to the hotel the second day However the staff quickly appoligised and did do the room while we waited

The chocolates at bed time

A traditional, welcoming friendly and very efficient hotel
    • Standard King Room

Needed a little updating .A traditional

Very good breakfast. Very helpful staff and all looked very smart in there uniforms. Old world charm. The gardens were lovely to spend time in.

That hotel is part of Mariott?! If you have the choice go to different place.
    • Standard King Room

The building is broken (cracks in wall, in ceiling, in overhead parts (even critical). Out door carpets are even dangerous (waved, easy to stumble over), water dreinage visible, pool is totally green by algae.

Nice people. Clean in all places in hotel. Room is big.

Wonderful!
    • Standard King Room

The front desk staff was extremely helpful and they enabled me to check in some 3 hours ahead of the official check-in time. Also, the bed was extra comfy!

You will most likely see me again
    • Standard King Room

It might have only been my own ignorance but I was unable to get a few of the plug points to work in my room. Parking was a bit of a bother but luckily the valet service takes care of that for you so no real worries there. The construction going on was a bit of a downer but as I didn’t have time to sleep it was no real problem, more an observation. Also, not something that the hotel has any control over anyway. I am sure it is surprisingly tranquil when the construction is not in progress.

The reception staff was wonderfully accommodating with all my terrible last minute changes and queries and a special thank you to DJ & Thandeka and my sincere apologies for not remembering the rest of your names. Oh yes and Edward that located my missing bag in the dead of night. Breakfast was wonderful and a great selection. The room was cozy and surprisingly well suited for transforming it into my own office for a few days. Over all very happy to return... hopefully not for work this time and to be able to enjoy the good variety of services you offer.

good city break
    • Standard King Room

Walls a bit thin, need to keep voices down

Very safe area. Walking distance of Nelson Mandela Square although there is a shuttle bus. Could walk to get shuttle for Citytour

It was okay except for wet floors
    • Standard King Room

The room was not at all like the pictures on booking.com it was a completely different room with an office desk. It was raining and the floors were wet and slippery which made it very uncomfortable wanting to get in an out was a mission. The bed in our room was not made up properly on the day we checked in pillows were all on the side table

The room service was fast

Comfy ... convenient ... accessability

Nothing I can think off

I have stayed at the Balalika before. Always enjoyed my stay there. The central courtyard is a lovely place to just hang around.

The worst hotel stay in a decade. Felt like when I was backpacking at hostels years ago.
    • Standard King Room

I landed in Joburg at 3am and I called Protea before I booked. The reception told me there was a water issue affecting all of Sandton that would be fixed in the morning. When I got there, no water for my entire stay! They couldn't even warn me to try somewhere else just in case the water isn't fixed. What was worse is their poor attitude towards me. There was an issue with running my credit card and they were extremely hostile, telling me my card is declined and I have to leave or pay for my full trip upfront. It was 4:30am in the morning and I'm a single woman who just landed in Johannesburg and they were ready to kick me out with no where to go. I couldn't help but feel this was racially motivated as I'm a black woman. Who pays for a nice hotel upfront? Couldn't they wait until the morning in case I had a problem with my bank? I've been to many hotels where I've paid on checkout. The night manager is involved now and has the same ridiculous attitude. After implying that I must not have money on my card and that it's my problem, someone got the bright idea to try another machine and voila, my card worked. I asked the receptionist to get the night manager so that I could formally lodge a complaint. He was scared to do that! I had to force him. Weird people, scared of authority. Then, they didn't even clean my room, or help get water so I could even take a shower. The toilet doesn't flush, no water, spotty wifi. I had a major presentation to make in Johannesburg and felt like I was living in the village. It was really horrible. I've been in hotels in over 12 countries this year alone. This was by far my worst hotel experience in the last decade of traveling around the world! This is also my first hotel review.

Bedding was great!
    • Standard King Room

The staff wasn’t briefed to deal with the water emergency affecting Sandton. Guests were sent to rooms with no flushing toilets or drinking water with no warning but a printed note advising us of an inetrruption in water supply. We eventually called reception to ask for a bucket to fetch water from the swimming to flush the toilet. In the morning we left with no ablutions and no update or apology (and paid the full price of course)

Bedding was great!

Excellent location and very central.
    • Standard King Room

This Grand old lady of Sandton needs a revamp. Dated decor and my room had leaking taps as well as cupped tiles in the bathroom. Usb ports for charging added to the workstation as an afterthought and didn't work anyway

Excellent location and very central. Friendly helpful staff

Fantastic Hotel
    • Standard King Room

It a great property ,perfectly located and peaceful and quiet.The staff are great,the food is delicious .I intend on bringing whole family on our next trip..

excellent service helpful friendly staff, good safe location...
    • Standard King Room

excellent service helpful friendly staff, good safe location, easy to arrange day tours of Johannesburg, shuttle transfer from the hotel to the train station for 15 minute train trip to the airport. a great and comfortable stay

Exactly what we wanted for the duration of our visit to Sandton.
    • Standard King Room

Wi fi didn't work in our room.

The setting - lovely tranquil environment. Able to relax in the beautiful peaceful garden by the pool. Shuttle service offered by the hotel.

A Joburg staple - the garden in the middle of the CBD!
    • Standard King Room

Of course the hotel is an old one and the rooms are a bit outdated in terms of style and equipment, but the comfort is nevertheless very good.

Always a great place to stay, especially if you have free time to enjoy the pool. In terms of outdoors, it's the best hotel in Sandton. Maude street is an easier walk to Mandela square now that the works are essentially finished, and you can stop to buy a few curios by the roadside souvenir shops!

Not good.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

Overpriced room, terrible check in experience for my partner, way overpriced laundry service, got a check out time of 11:30 and was locked out of my room at 11:25 causing my partner to miss the hotel shuttle.

The location is great, the housekeeping staff are very on the ball.

We enjoyed our stay and would really love to come back.
    • Suite

Upon arrival the security guards were busy socializing and didn't attend to us, we didn't even know where to park. they were not friendly at all. The cashier was also not up to standard, she was not sure about her calculations and kept on repeating wrong info to us. She didn't know the hours when breakfast will be served and kept on referring to another cashier.

The room was neat, Room service was quick, even the breakfast was nice. Going with a shuttle for free to Mandela Square mall was a bonus.

Relaxing old hotel charm in a comfortable but well-located setting
    • Standard King Room

Internet service which is available throughout the hotel without having to renew codes as was previously the case still comes on and off more frequently than it should.

We have been coming here once or twice a year for the past 6 years. The ease of access from the airport via Gautrain and the “away from it all” country setting in the central corurtyard despite the so-close-to-it-all location provides a nice relaxing atmosphere even if you are here for work purposes. Close to lots of good restaurant choices - but onsite food options are also first rate. Excellent service.

Great location, nice hotel but not what it used to be
    • Standard King Room

Overall the hotel is not being managed as one would expect from Marriott; breakfast is off, terrible wifi, etc

Staff is still friendly but lack effuciency

Unwelcomining

Customer service

The hotel contacted me a week after the visit to inform me that there was an outstanding bill which they mistakenly did not bill to the room, she requested that play for the bill. I felt it was very unprofessional because every thing we ordered from the room was biĺed separately and suddenly we had to take the blame for their mistake. She was very rude was very rude in her approach such that even if I wanted to settle the sàid account I would not. They need to work on their customer service,I am very disappointed

convenient.
    • Standard King Room

room dated, complementary bathing products limited had to ring reception three times for extra shower wash only one in the room for two people also waited an hour for iron and ironing board to be delivered to the room. Was woken by hotel maid to clean the room at 8am and she demanded i put the do not disturb sign up if I didn't want to be woken at that time !!

Location and parking facilities.

Fabulouse time , value for money & i will definately come back
    • Standard King Room

Desk in the room with a very comfortable chair , lovely bad & beautiful and practical bathroom. Flexible barman allowing guests to stay longer beyond the closing time. Top quality food at the Bull.

Good service
    • Standard King Room

Utilise the 2nd bar area for relaxing drinks. Offer a Happy Hour to get people in there

Spaced out. Older but comfortable. Very close to Mandela Square. Safe to walk during the day Shuttle service available- staff very helpful Great meal in main restaurant. Meal was very good, staff EXCELLENT

back again after 4 years & was an okay base for joborg.
    • Standard King Room

room was pretty noisy as it was on basement air hostesses did check in late at night adding to noise of trolleys "taking off" down the corridor. View was a wall thru a sliding door.

Hotel ambiance was relaxing with courtyard wifi was reasonably good. bar was nice & opened onto the courtyard. close to Mandela square.

Family weekend in Joburg
    • Standard King Room

We were charged R560 one for a transfer to a stadium which was organised by the hotel. In retrospect Uber would have been better.

Very central, comfortable rooms etc.

Apart from food, great place to stay.
    • Standard King Room

3 meals, disappointed with all. Sent lunch back. Stayed here 3 years ago and restaurant great. Now very disappointed with food.

friendly staff. Lovely grounds.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Conflicted
    • Standard King Room

On check in i had to tell one of the airline staff checking out that she can not push in. This should be the hotel staff duty. Surely they know who is next or confirm who was next to arrive. It caused a sour moment. The fact that they only have a smoking bar is nuts. In today's day and age this is totally unacceptable. Doubt if i will stay there again.

MY AMAZING EXPERIENCE

I wouldnt change anything

I went there with a friend it was nice the hotel is a walking distance to the mall, gautrain station and clubs the shuttle service is amazing the guys are friendly and the food was affordable I would recommend this hotel to anyone

Professional and caring staff. 'Bull Run 'Steaks A+.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

The huge building site outside our bedroom windows. I believe it was beyond the hotels control so just made the best of it. Thinking ahead it will be wonderful for future guests.

Breakfast was lovely. The coffee barista was an excellent coffee maker. The housekeeping staff were checking up regularly on our needs in our suite. The Bull Run was experienced twice for both evening meals. The most tender steaks and beautifully cooked vegetables. Great waiters each night and so knowledgeable about the food and wines.

Location is excellent
    • Standard King Room

Airport pick up a bit late Room located at the far end of the hotel, previously i have been in the main building near reception - much better. Pillows far too soft Room very cold. Heating OK, but didn't heat bathroom Water pressure not great Shower sometimes not very hot.

Location is excellent

Will stay again
    • Standard King Room

1. My room was a bit far from the reception; 2. The fridge inside the room was a bit noisy when switched on

1. Convenient location - around 10 minutes walk from Sandton station; 2. Close to shopping malls (with lots of restaurants there), and the hotel has frequent free shuttle to shopping malls; 3. Very helpful staff

Comfort and utility in the heart of Sandton.
    • Standard King Room

It was a bit of a mission to locate the switch for the bedside lamp. I also could not get the hair dryer to work, but did not have time to ask staff for assistance, so that could possibly have been my own inadequacy.

The room was very comfortable and the pillows on the bed were especially comfortable. I loved the view from my room. I found the very comfortable office chair and the desk very useful. The hotel shuttle service was easy to use and staff were very helpful and friendly.

A safe and comfortable place to stay in Johannesberg
    • Standard King Room

The rooms are very close to each other and we could hear people talking in the early hours of the morning which did disturb our sleep.

The property was conveniently located to a large shopping centre. Sandton is a very well known area for upmarket shopping. The hotel provides a free shuttle bus every 30 mins to the shops or it only takes a 5 minute walk down the road. The hotel lobby is large with many relaxing tables and chairs to sit and enjoy a tea or coffee. There is a really nice restaurant that is attached to the hotel called the The Bull Run and the food and service is excellent. You can enjoy a buffet breakfast each morning with plenty of choices. The hotel room is comfortable and is made up each day. Free wifi and tea and coffee facilities are in the room. Hotel staff very helpful. Good size gym and they are in the process of building a bigger one. I would stay again.

5.5
    Not what it used to be
    • Standard King Room

Room smelled like a damp hole. Hotel standards are deteriorating. With every visit I can experience this. Food service outside was extremely slow.

Breakfast was good.

Beautiful hotel. Bad food
    • Standard King Room

The food, we ordered stake and chips and creamy spinach Food was cold Not forgetting it tasted horrible it was dry I love this hotel but they have the worst food The breaskfast is okay But the rest of the food horrible

The bed is sooooo comfortable love that bed

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Great place to stay in Johannesburg.
    • Standard King Room

I was pleased with everything--no negatives.

I liked everything. When returning to Johannesburg, this will be my hotel of choice...assuming the prices remain reasonable.

Great hotel in a good localizatoon
    • Standard King Room

The bed is big but not very confortable. Breakfest is expensive (+- 15 usd) but just 'normal'

Localization is very good.. near train station and mandela square

Comfortable, staff not helpful and some were even rude.
    • Standard King Room

Most of staff were unhelpful and rude, state of hotel beyond the main lobby..room was OK but all the long halls ..looked tired, bathroom looked tired We expected Joburg to be a city where one didn't walk on ones own and were told by staff to not walk even to the shopping Centre..there was a shuttle which we took but we did walk in daylight on one day

Comfortable, staff not helpful and some were even rude...maid never turned down bed for two even though the reservation was for two and it was evident...room was part of what had been another hotel, a veritable rabbit warren to find it..one woman was very helpful in finding a TV in a restaurant on which my husband could watch a golf tournament

Convenient for Sandton and business travellers
    • Standard King Room

My room was literally 10 minutes walking away from the lobby. There was nothing special about it apart from the spacious bathroom. Breakfast was rather disappointing. The hotel lacks personality.

The lobby is very nice and so is the hotel bar and the breakfast terrace. Maybe some people like this kind of hotel but it seemed to me more a business hotel than a hotel for leisure. If you like to go shopping in Sandton or to go to clubbing in this area, it might be a convenient base. I liked the big bathroom. The room was clean and functional.

Lovely
    • Standard King Room

Area behind the room seem neglected. If it was green and had life it would compliment the nice rooms. Some visitors would like to open the back doors for fresh air, hence, the need for a lovely backyard garden

Kind and helpful staff

hotel has potential but looks a bit tired
    • Standard King Room

construction side next to the hotel, interior of our room was sad, bathroom door did not close, cupboard door did not close, room service tray with a whole meal on it (of the room opposite) sat in the corridor for some hours, very smelly drains, parking is just up to a max height of 1,90m, which is not enough for most 4x4s ... like ours;

pool and garden are ok, staff at the receiption was very nice, shuttle every 30mins is good;

I would like to specially thank the guest relations manager...
    • Standard King Room

I would like to specially thank the guest relations manager Tessa for going the extra mile and organising my wife's anniversary surprise in our room. She loved it. Thank you.

CLEAN AND CENTRAL
    • Standard King Room

I didn't like that we booked our first two days through a different source and the 2nd two through booking.com and that although we stayed in the same room and paid in total 4 night upfront the first 2 days we could sign for breakfast to room the 2 nights through booking.com after breakfast found out expected to pay then and there and no option to sign to room even though we did that for the first 2 days but that booking was made through Marriott directly and because used 2 different sources had to check in and out and then the rules seemed to change. The hotel itself although clean is in need of a makeover, decor very very dated. In the room our coffee was not replenished on daily basis they would leave one chocolate for 2 people, if you were in the room during the day you were constantly disrupted by people I assume cleaning staff coming in basically walking in at the same time as knocking not waiting for a response to check to see if room was serviced or to check or bring towels etc etc also the staff at breakfast especially the first day had no idea how pro card works even though it is a Marriott card took half hour to bring correct bill for breakfast and 3 attempts and a group gathering of staff to work out. Restaurant Bull Run is very average. Room service should have more of a lunch menu and not just a repeat of Bull Run menu and should include the basics at least like a toasted cheese etc

I like the shuttle and valets car parking

Not impressed
    • Standard King Room

Woken up at 7:45 by housekeeping knocking on the door and entering the room while we were sleeping. As parents of 2 young kids having a rare opportunity for a lie in while the kids were with grandparents this was particularly frustrating. Shower pressure was terrible. Breakfast was very expensive and poor quality.

Good location, friendly staff

Relax in the middle of Sandton
    • Standard King Room

The Bull Run steakhouse had great atmosphere but the T-bone steaks were grey and cold

Room service was excellent. Room very comfortable with a great layout for work and communicating with your travel companion. The complimentary shuttles were punctual

Nice hotel in colonial style.
    • Standard King Room

The reception is bit obsolete. There is a constructions site of multifunctional commercial center nearby the hotel. Distressing noise from it.

Nice hotel in colonial style. Cosy yards and pools inside the territory. There is a park in 0.5km from the hotel for jogging.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Great Hotel, excellent location.
    • Standard King Room

Internet connection is weak. While their ,use Uber and don't rely on cars or taxis that hotel provides

Food is great, helpful friendly reception stuff, room is clean, location is excellent near to whatever you need. Shuttle bus services.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Returning guest - it is my preferred hotel in Sandton
    • Standard King Room

Sometimes very slow checkout. As credit card has been swiped, why no "Express" checkout? Rooms perhaps due for redecoration and maintenance. Some things not quite working properly e.g. Safe, and power supply on the desk. My room for the second part of my stay was on the ground floor looking at a wall, with no view and little light, but at the same time lacking privacy as people could walk past the window.

I would normally rate location as "excellent" as it is right in the heart of Sandton. However, the redevelopment next door currently detracts due to some noise and congestion. Friendly and helpful staff, and great service. Relatively large, comfortable and usually quiet rooms. Always a good atmosphere. Great adjoining/associated restaurant "The Bull Run", and a bar with character. Shuttle service to Mandela Square. Valet car parking. Good, free wifi. Good range of channels on TV.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Classic stay

The bathrooms were clean but they need an upgrade to complement the room, I did not like how the shower operate the water springle all over the floor when you open the tap

The room was clean,food were fresh and tasty friendly staff

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

It was a great stay
    • Standard King Room

A heated pool would be nice in the event it is a bit cool.

The room was great and glad that the extra touch was added as it was my honeymoon, my wife was impressed and we would gladly visit the hotel again.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Beautiful Hotel but services could be better.
    • Standard King Room

The adjourning restaurant, the Bull Run...too expensive for nothing, really, the worst. From the service, the prices and the food itself....really a no-no.

The staff was very friendly, added on services like the shuttle I had booked for my son was carried on very well. The breakfast staff very friendly and accommodating. Kids TV shows were mostly in Spanish, the bed not really comfortable.I stayed awake most nights and I had come straight from Protea Hotel Wanderers where I had slept like a baby.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

The beds were amazing.
    • Standard King Room

The only negative was that the bathrooms were dated. They were very clean, but older.

The beds were amazing. The hotel outside guest areas were perfect to relax at, both during the day and night. Every staff member we encountered were so friendly and attentive - such an added bonus.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

Oasis in central Sandton
    • Standard King Room

Slow check out. Why no express check out if credit card has been swiped? We stayed two nights, then away for a day, then back for one night. Room for third night was on ground floor just looking at a wall and hence dark. other rooms during my many stays at this hotel have had nice views, so final room on this trip was disappointing. Some things not working - safe, power sockets on desk Limited supply of tea and milk No bottled water in fridge

Personal service. Better than most Johannesburg hotels. Especially valet parking and help with bags. Perfect location for our needs. Bull Run restaurant. Gardens and pool area. Extremely comfortable beds and especially pillows. Despite being a busy hotel, it has been quiet on almost all my visits including this one.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Convenient location
    • Standard King Room

The room was located miles away - as was the car parking. It was a bit of a rabbit warren. We were on a very tight time frame visiting family and friends so apart from a quick drink in the bar (which was pleasant) we didn't make use of any facilities The room was comfortable and spacious. Shower was hot. It had everything that we needed.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Short summary of stay
    • Standard King Room

pool water was very cold, they need to think about getting heated pools especially that they are in the midlands and they are a child friendly hotel. I could not swim. Otherwise everything else is perfect in that hotel

at first they could not pick up our booking until we gave them the correct reference number and they were excellent

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Home away from home
    • Standard King Room

Words cannot express how lovely the place is. And it's only 5 minutes away from the Sandton shopping mall and about 15 minutes away from Rosebank Mall. I would encourage people to visit the place. I know I will be visiting it the next and for much longer

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Great Hotel, Close to top end Johannesburg
    • Standard King Room

the weather but they couldn't do much about that. The rooms are surprisingly dark, they are oldish but we found this was the norm in our South Africa travels, all the features worked, great shower etc

Breakfast was excellent with egg chef and plenty of variety, staff were fantastic and engaging, shuttle to the Nelson Mandela square and the train station to the airport was excellent and at times over subscribed but they did extra trips to ensure all got there and back, the concierge gave us 5 excellent recommendations for dinner even though the hotels restaurant is in the top 5 at Sandton. Sensational

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Good hotel, bad tour services
    • Standard King Room

We booked a tour at the hotel to know the city and museums and they (people at the hotel) guaranteed us that museums would be open on Dec 25th. When the guide arrived, he only told us museums were closed after we left the hotel, giving us no chance to cancel the tour. In the end, the tour that should take at least 4 hours took less that two, but the guide still charged us the same prize. We tried to negotiate, but he did no accept to change. We felt very disrespected. The tour is not part of the hotel, but it was suggested and booked by them.

The hotel is very comfortable and is located in a great area. It has free shuttle to the train (easy to access from the airport) and to malls. Staff are very friendly.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Pleasant hotel in the suburbs
    • Standard King Room

I asked for a quiet room and they gave me a room overlooking a construction site! Luckily, the hotel wasn't full and they were able to give me a different room. There was no à la carte menu for breakfast. I had to pay for the buffet even though I only wanted coffee and toast. Also, some of the restaurant staff at breakfast were a bit surly.

The hotel is not in a good location for sightseeing but is in one of the "safer" areas of the city. There is a free shuttle between the hotel and the train station where you can get the train into town. The shuttle also goes to Nelson Mandela Square shopping mall where there are plenty of shops and restaurants. The reception and housekeeping staff were very accommodating and friendly. I was only there for 1 night before my flight home so it was ideal for me.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

The beds were really comfortable.
    • Standard King Room

Finding the parking due to revamp was a mission. Reception is far from parking and ther was no one to assist us with our luggage from the parking for check in.

The beds were really comfortable. Prompt attention to requests made. Liked the location as it was ideally located but hidden from busyness of Sandton.

Browse Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton traveller photo gallery