Reviews of Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Cape Castle 3 stars

3 Main Road, Green Point, 8000 Cape Town, South Africa

#119 of 152 hotels in Cape Town

Central location, very clean and helpful staff. Must isolate windows better.
    • Studio with View

Room noisy at night due to traffic and windows not well isolated.

Nice hotel in general, helpful staff and very clean. Included breakfast with good options. Also hotel provided shuttle from the airport. At walking distance from the CT Waterfront.

Very good location.
    • Studio with View

Terrible parking. Poor breakfast - no value for this money - few meters away you'll find very good restaurant for breakfast with Benedict eggs. Staff is not well trained - every time we had a problem with opening gates. Poor internet connection.

Very good location. Bar open 24/7

Awesome!
    • Studio with View

Parking area at night... seems a bit dark and thus a bit frightening for a person arriving alone... I didn't see security personnel.

Location is great and makes up for everything else. Parking area looks a bit dodgy at night, but I love the privacy it allows - lifts from parking area to room floor. :)

disaapointed
    • Studio with View

Credit card machine did not work both times No ice for drinks from the bar Staff at reception untidely dressed unpleasant smell in room when we first arrived

Precious who worked in the restaurant was very friendly and helpful

They couldn't communicate when there was no water.
    • Studio with View

They couldn't communicate when there was no water.And it is important that when you dealing with people you inform them well in advance so that alternatives can be made..The room I was staying in (9th floor) did not have water at some point and no one said anything unless I called the front desk.They then asked if I could walk down the stairs (as the lift wasn't working as well) to shower at another room which was on the 1st floor and when I got there the water was NO hot.

Customer is King
    • Studio with View

When they place you in a room you didnt request and insist that the hotel was fooly booked, although my request was submitted a month before the time.

Cleanliness

Management was friendly

My bed was sunken and not comfortable at all, seems there was no communication between the agent and hotel , breakfast had no variety, bacon and sausages were too salty 😩😩

Management was friendly

Good location.
    • Studio with View

A trickle of water in shower...really even with water crisis this was unpleasant. Breakfast was expensive at R170. Noisy location. Booked a double bed and got 2 singles. Had to ask to move.

Good location. Comfortable bed.

the breakfast buffet was good.

the entrance to the hotel was not good as i had to climb stairs with my suitcase. Price is high despite the water restrictions that prohibited one to fully utilise the water e.g washing hair

the breakfast buffet was good.

Enjoyable.

A variety on breakfast not like one is being serviced at Wimpy.

Had a feeling that they were separating me from my partner because of the two single beds.

Good location,made the logistics of our visit easy to plan
    • Studio with View

Shame the local water restrictions prevented use of the pool,but it didn't spoil our stay.

Resturant service and food were first class on the one occasion we used it Hotel staff very helpful and friendly

VERY GOOD EARGER TO GET BACK THERE
    • Studio with View

Facility is a bit old but very well maintained

The facilities in the room There were good free comodities; beds were very comfortable The personnel were very helpful and could go out of their way to make things happen. The price from booking was very good

Big room
    • Studio with View

Queensize bed for 2 people is too small!! Pool closed due to water restriction and the pool was the reason we picked this hotel. No price reduction admitted. Expensive breakfast. Room was ready for check in only at 2.30

Big room

3-STAR Hotel (Enough Said)!
    • Studio with View

#WHEREDOISTART - The hotel has no pickup/drop off zone away off the major road. We had to push the buzzer to get in/out of the hotel through a large metal gated door. There were no hotel assistance available outside the gated door so, we had to carry our luggage up 2-flights of steps to gain access to the main lobby. Later, we found out that there was garage access but no one was available to assist upon arrival. Once inside, the onsite desk representative was unprofessional, unenthusiastic and unwilling to assist with any of our needs. The room was cozy, small, and petite with legacy furniture. The door to the room would not close firmly and, during the night, the hallway light would shine around the edge of the entire door. Due to that and no blackout curtains, we slept with blackout eye masks to prevent an early morning wakeup call from the sunlight. The bathroom was small and cramped, the bathtub was bumped up to the sink and this prevented the shower curtain from covering the entire tub and water leaked on the floor. Furthermore, the sink in the bathroom leaked when the knob was turned to hot. We asked for wash clothes and was told they are not a hotel issued item but was available for a cost however, they did not have any in stock – SMH! During the stay, only 1-elevator of 2 worked, and half way through a man was trapped in the elevator and unable to get out for 1-2 hours. It was a DEATHSTRAP! The website shows a lovely blue, free of debris, pool but the water has a brown tint to it and did not look as the webpage depicted. The overall stay was 2 of 5 STARz, at best, and would not recommend to friends nor family and would not stay here in the future. It was apparent the hotel has been around for a while and in need of a serious UPGRADE. The best thing going for this hotel was the Breakfast! #KNOWINGISHALFTHEBATTLE

Location/Location/Location - The Hotel was on a major road (3 Main Road) but the location had many establishments (Convenient Stores, Mom&Pop local restaurants and luxury hotels) that we used on a regular basis during our stay. The breakfast staff were very helpful every morning and we were met with a smile and a professional attitude when walking into the downstairs restaurant. We were able to walk to/from the VA Waterfront by utilizing the large sidewalks, which were well lit, safe and pedestrian friendly. Due to the time of the year, all other hotels were 99% booked and we had to settle. #LESSONLEARNED#EARLYBIRDGETSTHEWORM

Loved every minute. Very friendly and helpful staff
    • Studio with View

Bedding is a little "noisy". Not unbearable, but whatever is used to wash it keeps it "stiff" so making a noise whenever you turn arouns

Comfy beds and pillows. It is always hard to sleep in a strange bed, but not this time

Louw Reservation
    • Studio with View

Requested double bed. Were given 2 single beds. Confirmation stated stusdio room with a view. View was the stredt incftont and side of adjacent building

Central

super excellent
    • Studio with View

your staff that made us uncomfortable while eating by starring at us the whole time..as though we will steal the food.....we just wanted to feel at home and comfortable.

The breakfast was super delicious and fresh

I enjoy to stay at protea except the dinner and the use of one night free

The dinner I expected to find the buffet but I was suprise to find that u choose the meal.also I'm a prokard member I deserve one night free but they said when I booked I should also included it.It was my first time to hear that

The room because it has the kitchen so that we could cook

i didnt get value for money, the place is old and the arrangement is as old. Tv in the lounge

the property seems old the arrangement is not of the current set up in most hotels even Protea hotels ive been to other protea hotels before this one has to be the worst ive seen. old furniture Tv is the the lounge area not in the room. the rooms don't look anything close to the pics online which for mr I think is misrepresentation if I get into the webside of Cape castle Protea Hotel it shouldn't mix the pictures with the ones in other hotels especially if those features are not there at cape castle. the cleaners did not clean the room properly im not sure whether their are told to focus only on making bed and leave everything else where it is. I found my T-shirt on the floor next to the bed where I left it and my jeans.

I like the pool feature and the reception staff was good

Great airport shuttle service provided by the hotel at a...
    • Studio with View

Great airport shuttle service provided by the hotel at a reasonable cost. Great location within 15minutes walk to V+A waterfront as well as to sea. Good restaurants.

Ok
    • Studio with View

Petronella attitude at reception What you view on line is not what you see physical Some of cleaning staff

Food was okay.guys at reception very helpful except petronella I booked a room with a view and double bed was given single beds was told it's fully booked cannot be moved and I said will cancel the booking then was moved . The linen is comfortable and clean The room is like a house not a home Think...staff need training on customer care

Enjoyed our stay apart from the above inconvenience
    • Studio with View

The shower cubicle door did not close resulting in water over the floor. The toilet leaked when flushed causing water to be over the floor. The tap in the sink leaked when opened again causing water to be over the floor. These defects were reported to the front desk twice but still had not been fixed when I checked out. Had to put additional towels on the floor to soak up the water.

Did not have breakfast during our stay

Quite pricey but good location, nice staff and plenty of space in the room

Room had a great view and a mini balcony which you just about stand on. Nice close location to the waterfront too, but we still had to get taxis down there as it didn't feel safe to walk. An alternative is to go to one of the 8-10 restaurants on the left as you head out of the hotel. Seemed a bit overpriced compared to other guesthouses we used in South Africa but I assume this was due to the proximity to the Waterfront and the fact it was Cape Town!

Location, but not so near Waterfront
    • Studio with View

When Tarryn , our Wine N Bikes 's guide, phoned to the hotel to confirm our trip to Stellenbosch , the reception told her we were NOT registered at that hotel!!! After doing the check out,as she was late, I had to phone her to ask to pick us up at he Protea Cape Town, the same hotel she had just phoned before... Very bad staff, better to always confirm yourself all your trips. The food at restaurant took almost 1 hour to come and came cold, I had to ask to heat my pasta. Eat somewhere else.

Location, but not so near Waterfront

Wonderful, big comfortable room/apartment with view of ocean and V & A Waterfront.
    • Studio with View

We weren't aware that pots, pan and additional utensils were supplied only on request- caused a bit of confusion to start with. 2 seater had to be replaced.

Location and convenience of having a kitchenette in the room. Crisp linen, comfortable mattress and pillows. Very good daily servicing of room.

Were it not for the irritating noise the stay could've been pleasant.
    • Studio with View

There was a very disturbing noise throughout the night - like someone kept dragging a chair intermittently or the noise one gets from plumbing issues. My wife, who is a light sleeper, couldn't sleep because of this noise and eventually had to go fetch earplugs from the car around 3am. It's a good thing we only stayed for one night as another night with that noise would've been a nightmare.

The bed was comfy, something which is always important to us. The lounge/kitchen area was quite spacious, which was very nice.

Great location and comfortable enough.
    • Studio with View

The place is in need of some renovations to update it. Everything looks and smells old, e.g. the carpet in the room, the shower (which leaked - not good when water is scarce). The "bar' area could use some work too, not very inviting.

Great location with easy access to restaurants etc, I had a very spacious room and the kitchenette was an added bonus.

It was relaxing and felt like home.
    • Studio with View

I had a problem with locking the sliding doors to the balcony(the locking mechanism did not work efficiently)

The food purchased was amazing. Good quality and generous portions. The staff were friendly and very helpful.

Convenient location but not comfortable
    • Studio with View

The rooms really need an upgrade to justify the rates. The toilet doors didn't close properly and the beds are not comfortable. I think Air Con's can also be upgraded to modern " green " systems.

The location of the hotel is very convenient to holiday facilities.

Bad bad bad with blocked drain smell
    • Studio with View

There was a terrible smell in the hotel rooms coming from a blocked drain. We asked to move to another room which was slightly better, but the smell was still there. The staff were very unfriendly and didn't even apologize or gave any explanation of the problem. We will definitely never make use of this hotel, and maybe not even any Protea hotel. We are very disappointed!!

Not good or value for money
    • Studio with View

Where do I start ? Calling the facilities a restaurant and bar is stretching the meanings of both words. While great to have a work space in the room, would be better to have a plug within 6 feet to plug a laptop in. Also, no facilities for cell phone charging. Join us for breakfast at 6.30 - difficult if the staff are not prepared until almost 6.45. And the price of breakfast - about R100 to much. And of course, my pet hate - please sign this card slip - above or below where it says CARDHOLDER'S SIGNATURE NOT REQUIRED.

nice location, terrible wifi and staff!!!
    • Studio with View

Not so clean, doesn't even look like a marriott to be honest. Wifi works SOOOO badly!!! Terrible staff!!! Didn't know how to inform about anything in the city, not even how long would it take to reach the airport. Around my second day there (saturday) the staff simply said the wifi wasn't working and it would only be fixed on monday! On monday they said that maybe tuesday, maybe wednesday. I had many reservations to arrange for the rest of my trip and their best offer was for me to use my credit card and my bank account on the reception's computer. After arguing with them, their second offer was to send me to another hotel (at my expenses, but of course that last minute bookings are more expensive) and to give me a refund of the rest of my stay within a month, and they felt they were a great hotel for simply offering me to call hotels to choose one for me (since there had no wifi for me to book it).

The location is nice, not to walk around (I wouldn't avise that) but not too far from major attractions. Confortable room.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Good location but dated property
    • Studio with View

Entrance difficult to see from main road. Main entrance doesnt feel too safe as you need to wait for someone to buzz you in and then walk up stairs to get to the main lobby area.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Perfect location
    • Studio with View

Breakfast was good value for money and the staff were very friendly and efficient. Very good location - short walking distance to V&A Waterfront and other good eateries in the vicinity.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

awesome stay, book online instead of on the phone tho.
    • Studio with View

bathroom window was right next to the shower, no curtain so when showering felt a little exposed.

great staff, amazing location and wonderfull views. facilities were very good too. can't comment on the food, as its only a 5 min taxi to V&A waterfront which has a huge variety of food and drink available.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

• Studio with View

The noise from other guests. Doors do not close quietly. Swimming pool small and in need of repair. Air conditioning unit extremely noisy.

Location Kitchen facilities View of table mountain

It didn't look hygiene to have kitchen staff hand bags...
    • Studio with View

It didn't look hygiene to have kitchen staff hand bags on top of food. They were on customers eyes every day at breakfast. Get them lockers in their changing room.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Low key, casual.
    • Studio with View

Wify only worked in lobby. No TV. Get posted information up to date, and avoid inconsistencies between brochures, notices in lobby and notices in rooms.

Low key, casual. Looking at the entry we were a little depressed. Inside we found lovely grounds, lawns, trees, a great feeling considering the scorched look of everything else. Staff and other guest warm, helpful and friendly. Stayed four nights. Will recomend to friends.

my stay was pleasant and memorable
    • Studio with View

hotel is luxury but entrance gate is not attractive they often use parking area to enter.

location of hotel is very good it is near to waterfront (15min walking distance) and staff were also nice and supportive. Everyday i found my room clean and arranged when i came from daily tour in city. It was pleasant and memorable. Breakfast was also good.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Staff was good and helpful
    • Superior Suite with View

Noisy. In the room I was they had a water tank àbove it and I coUldale not sleep due to the noise from water circulation. It was some what over priced.8

Staff was good and helpful

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Studio with View

My booking included breakfast but when I get to the kitchen for breakfast , they sent me back to receptionist saying my booking don't have breakfast included, when got there they tell me the same story and asked me to forwarded them my email from booking.com to their email address, and I forwarded to them then they helped me. honestly was not happy

Room was clean and breakfast was delicious

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Nice spacious clean rooms..
    • Studio with View

Limited breakfast options in terms of variety. Think of improving to make it continental breakfast to suit everyone besides bread lovers and the obvious bacon and sausage...

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

The staff was very friendly and forever smiling and made.
    • Studio with View

The hotel looks a bit old from the ouside, its looks are a bit decieving as it is very beautiful on the inside.

The staff was very friendly and forever smiling and made.us feel very welcomed. The location is perfect as its just less than a 10min walk away from the V&A waterfront. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff goes an extra mile to please its customers as they gave us no hustle when we requested a different room.

The location with great view.
    • Studio with View

The bathroom and connecting to the WiFi was challenging with my iPhobe.

The location with great view.

Outstanding staff!

WIFI was poor

Staff were friendly and helpful

Terrible service
    • Studio with View

Terrible service Not like the normal protea group hotels

Good value and location
    • Studio with View

Although part of the Marriot chain, it seemed a star lower.

Location and value.

Friendly helpful staff, good location!
    • Superior Suite with View

Friendly check in staff, really helpful with local information. Great stay! Only 10-15 mins walk to the waterfront area..

Good but need improvements for th paraplegic room
    • Studio with View

paraplegic room needs a good view and be larger

location, cleanliness

6.0
    Enjoyable
    • Superior Suite with View

The noise from the road...

The view

Pleasant
    • Studio with View

A bad smell of sewer coming from the bath plug hole.

Nicely appointed room large and compfortable.

GREAT LOCATION, GREAT FACILITY, GREAT STAFF

From the time we arrived everything was great.

EXCELLENT
    • Studio with View

THE ROOM WAS VERY CLEAN AND LARGE. KITCHENETTE WAS ADEQUATE AND FACILITIES SUPERB. STAFF WERE VERY HELPFUL.

Loved the overall experience and will stay there again.

Air conditioning in the room was not very good.

The most friendly staff. Beautiful building and setimg, classic Cape Town from a previous era.

Bathroom very cramped and the bathroom door opened straight...

Bathroom very cramped and the bathroom door opened straight onto the bed

Fantastic breakfast

Air conditioner was not working in the middle of summer

Fantastic breakfast

Nothing, only in the hotel for one day.

Breakfast and cleanliness of hotel.

Friendly stuff and great service
    • Studio with View

Breakfast not included in the rate; elevator needs upgrading

Best omelette ever

Very good. Will come again.
    • Studio with View

The water shortage, but that was not in your control.

The breakfast was really nice

Ev and Dave

2nd floor and no lift

Location was great

Location was close to the waterfront.
    • Studio with View

The aircon needs to be upgraded

Location was close to the waterfront.

Really enjoyed staying here, perfect central location, Nice staff.
    • Studio with View

Pool could have been better.

Location was great.

Very comfortable and special thanks to Christian to make our stay very pleasant

Only 1 lift was operational which caused some inconvenience. This lift as stated was out of service for over a month prior to check in date.

I wouldn't mind coming back again

One lift was not working

The table mountain view

Large room, friendly staff
    • Studio with View

Basic. Not really value for money

Large room, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

I liked my stay there. The staff were very friendly. Christian was my favorite. Very friendly
    • Studio with View

Proximity to the Rugby Stadium and V&A Waterfront is superb!!!

The location, we've been staying in the Cape Castle...
    • Studio with View

The furniture needs to be upgraded or replaced

The location, we've been staying in the Cape Castle Protea Hotel for the past 13 years.

Nice Spot

Staff was very dof.

Very happy
    • Studio with View

The food not that good v

Very friendly staff and excellent service

Bit overpriced
    • Studio with View

Size of room, view (was criterion for booking) Staff not knowledgable

Location was convenient

Comfortable

Poor WiFi. Confusing way of getting in and out of the venue. No buzzer for exit.

Friendly staff

Great hotel with a friendly atmosphere. And just the facilities you need.
    • Studio with View

Very friendly and competent staff. Good position and nice spacy rooms

Service was very poor